Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

Remember that guy who shouted "Hi Dan and Phil!" in one of their Pokemon Go videos and then carried on with his day? That's the method I would use.
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

droopy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:36 am Remember that guy who shouted "Hi Dan and Phil!" in one of their Pokemon Go videos and then carried on with his day? That's the method I would use.
This is pretty close to my ideal “in the wild” encounter. Maybe wouldn’t use their names depending on context to avoid drawing too much attention but some combo of a wink, wave and a smile I guess.

re animal names: I say I avoid human names for animals but I literally used a name I had picked out for a future daughter for my cat.... I had a long, long list of criteria and Ronja was honestly the only fit :lol: tbf, it’s a VERY fitting name for the rascal. Our next cats and dogs will be named Biscuit, Schnitzel, Griffin and Jughead if I have my way.

re sims video: We’re just catching up on everything but I have to say that Dan fussing over the cat has only solidified my conviction that if you gave Dan a cat, he would be the biggest cat-dad within a week. Girlfriend gives him about a day.
OhItsElliott
drama llama
Pronouns: He/him

It's been a few days since I've been able to check the forum but I have to say, seeing all the topics that have been discussed since the content drought (lol it's literally been four days...) has been really enjoyable! Dan's potential vegetarianism, phil's eyebrows, deppy's home environments and how they shape the people they are today & how they each interact with their audience, that fucking disgustingly ugly cake, stalkers setting up "run-in"s, what could await us on the TIIT tour, what we'd do if we ever actually saw them in the wild. Honestly, keep witty commentary and insomnia induced ramblings coming, y'all! I, for one, appreciate them.

I'm sort of enjoying this down time even though I'm one of the people who's had to go back to work. It started to feel a little overwhelming almost near the end of gamingmas there and I'm looking forward to this weekend when I can go back and rewatch some of those vids and some from the past year. Gotta refresh my memory for the awards! :thumb: So I'm not feeling the content drought yet but we'll see how far into January it gets before they post a video. Ask me again then.

I have to mention some highlights from the past few days: I audibly laughed at the whole cake thing and absolutely love that Reddit thread roasting the cake. It was ugly. Hope Colin the butler-dog enjoyed it. :lol:

I'm also excited for the tour but hope they give us a little more info. Seems VERY free form. I already have my tickets but I'd appreciate any information about what to expect out of the experience to quell my anxiety. Give me more details deps!

I'm also on team "no thanks" for meeting them, at least in a formal setting.
droopy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:36 am Remember that guy who shouted "Hi Dan and Phil!" in one of their Pokemon Go videos and then carried on with his day? That's the method I would use.
In the (exceptionally unlikely) occurrence of seeing them in the wild, I'd probably do this if the situation didn't seem too intrusive, with an added "I like your videos!". I'm well aware of my levels of social awkwardness thank-you-very-much, and know any level of interaction beyond this would likely end in me cringing for the remainder of that decade.

Oh, and happy to say I just ordered a mug! Honestly, I don't have enough of them so this was a good excuse and I'm glad to support this forum.

@Stakhanov this is very delayed- sorry- but hi! yes, it's great to see other guys on here :ribena: We do seem to be a rare breed in this corner of the internet, you're right.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i loved reading people drag (pretty tamely, really) dan's family's cake skills who have no idea who dan howell is. but that cake was cute! maybe i just have really low standards :lol:
the little figures pressed into the side, you could tell it was a group effort and made with love. kinda made me hope no one but dan saw the response online if they don't fully get that sharp internet brand humour though.

@OhItsElliott me too, i'm looking forward to catching up. it was really difficult keeping up with gamingmas, work, and everyone's posts on here. i only really had time to keep an eye on things and not respond to people which made me a little melancholy because gamingmas is my favourite thing of maybe the whole year content-wise, and so many people had great analyses.

I wouldn't approach them at all, moreso because of lack of desire to have that interaction in my experience (eeyyy +1 for social anxiety). though the pokemon-go style yelling out amuses me and is the least demanding of them i think. i would probably just observe them from a distance wherever we were because i'm curious; short of following them to a different location though, that's weird. probably a situation i would actively walk away and not observe would be if i ran into one of them in a chemist or something.
art in avatar by lily
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

If I saw them in the wild, I'd go beet red, start grinning weirdly, immediately seek cover, hide, and then text my one IRL friend who knows D&P that I saw them :lol:

(When I was a teen, I sat in the same train as an idol of mine... It went a little something like that.)

So, uh, what to do until they're back from their Xmas/NY break? Anyone wanna play I Spy?
*insert gif of Phil enthusiastically elbowing a kangaroo Dan*
blackdenim
procrastinator

I definitely second the notion that most people who used to 'bump into them' were at the very least hanging around in the area they used to live hoping that would happen. I used to (well I still do) walk past their old flat multiple times a day, to get from my house to work, to the bus stop, to the gym, to the supermarket, etc. and so did my dad, my brothers when they were home and my ex boyfriend, and none of us ever saw Dan or Phil although I think I might have maybe seen the back of Phil's head in Waterstones once!

So based on that, I would say the chances of completely, really, truly randomly bumping into them on the street (particularly near where they lived) is slim to none. Although I did actually run into Andrew Scott AKA Moriarty from Sherlock on their street once. And I mean literally run into! He was late for something and running down the street - he bashed into me and then shouted sorry as he continued legging it :lol:

Because I lived so close I always used to think about what I'd do if I saw them. I think I probably would go up to them to say hi, but I don't know that I'd be brave enough to ask for a photo! Knowing I'd met them would be good enough for me (and then I'd obviously come post about it here because none of my real life friends would care!!)
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:24 am So, uh, what to do until they're back from their Xmas/NY break? Anyone wanna play I Spy?
*insert gif of Phil enthusiastically elbowing a kangaroo Dan*

though there'll be long content droughts, i'm looking forward to their travel and tour related content. i wanna another hotel liveshow! people walking past their window in kentucky and them freaking out made me laugh
art in avatar by lily
dancy
procrastinator

I will be meeting D&P next year and I'm completely fine with just saying hi, having them sign something and taking a selfie tbh. It's probably because I'm a bad conversationalist but I have no desire to talk to them for more than 30 seconds. What would you talk about if you did actually bump into them? The weather?

I feel a bit uncomfortable with people being accused of stalking D&P...I mean, I get if people are actually waiting for them at an airport or a hotel but other than that, I'd say it wouldn't be easy to predict where they'll be, especially since no one knows where they live now. I've randomly seen some famous people too from my country during my lifetime, though none that I'm actually interested in :shrug:

And in regards to the tour, I'm excited to see what they'll be doing! They seem very excited about it and like they've already got lots of things planned. Dan also said it would be somewhat like their videos but in real life and that the interval would allow them to set up the stage, so I do assume there will be props of some kind. I kinda doubt they're gonna give a lot more hints, so I think we'll just have to wait for the first show to figure out what it is they'll be doing.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

captainspacecoat wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:27 am Re: Dan's cake - lmao, I find it hilarious that it went viral and so many people are roasting him skdjhiksdhfk. Although I will say the cake doesn't look that bad, especially for a homemade vegan cake as those can be really difficult to make. Coconut, raspberry and praline sounds delicious to me though, despite maybe not looking so hot.

And I actually really love Colin as a dog's name - I'm a huge fan of ordinary human names on pets as I think it's so hilarious. Like, imagine a cat called Jeffrey or Deborah or like, Greg shjdfkd, how is that not the funniest thing ever. My friend's dogs names are Barry and Sharon and it kills me every time, it's literally so funny to me.

Re: content drought - I'm feeling it :( But, they're more than entitled to a break, so I'm not really complaining. I do miss the daily uploads though!

Re: stalkers - Since no one currently knows where in London Dan and Phil are living (which is a great thing obvs), I would assume that most people who bump into them on the streets of London probably aren't stalking them the way they likely were when dnp were living at the old flat. Aside from airport stalking, I think it's likely that since moving to the new flat most fan encounters have been genuine and haven't involved deliberate stalking. At least, I hope so!

Re: potential tour content drought - I'd love if Phil started using lessamazingphil the way he did in 2014/2015, and started uploading little vloggy snippets again, like 'Phil vs Praying Mantis' and 'Dan Tries Caviar'. If they did that semi-frequently while on tour it could be a great way to keep us in the loop without them having to vlog whole days, and they'd be quick to edit/upload if they're short on time. I also hope they'll pre-film some stuff this time, as I can't survive April-September with no uploads to the gaming channel. I think we're in for an interesting year, that's gonna be a lot less laid-back than 2017 was. I'm intrigued/trepidatious as to how they're gonna handle it.
:thanks: :thanks:
I agree with this whole post but I wanted to respond to the bolded part in particular because me too :lol: I find something so funny about the idea of calling a dog a human name like 'Dave' or 'Bob' :rofl: I actually really like Colin as a name (reminds me of Colin Mochrie) but now it's been pointed out it does sound very English. I always imagine Chris's impression of Colin Firth when I hear the name aloud.
RE meeting them irl
Luckily I've got M&G tickets for their tour so I don't have to worry about that but if I did ever bump into them I imagine it'd go something like how I spotted an American actress from a Japanese TV drama sitting at one of three tables in the same tiny vegan restaurant as me and my friend in Osaka. Twenty minutes of awkwardly trying to figure out if it was actually her by occasionally pretending to stretch so I could look behind me (I had my back to her), dithering wondering if I should talk to her but not wanting to disturb her meal (she came up to us once with the menu when she saw we didn't have one) and then saying goodbye to her when she left and me regretting my awkward shyness for the rest of the night :facepalm:
Last edited by thephandommenace on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

When they first announced the tour and talked about how it’ll be interactive in ways not seen before, my first thought was they might use an app, though thinking about it now, I’m not sure how they’d keep it just for the people at each show. In Who Wants to be a Millionaire on tv everyone had a device to choose between the 4 answers for Ask the Audience, in The Apprentice You’re Hired they each have a red and green lollipop paddle to say Hired or Fired, but those are all already done and mostly quite low-tech. I’m curious about it all.

Have been dipping in lately and read a few pages, though not everything. Loved the pinof bloops especially the cute view Dan provided when he looked under Phil’s bed :roll: at me always noticing a cute bum. It amuses me too that he still has his trousers so much lower than his pants, we just rarely see them (Schroedinger’s waistband indeed ;) )

Even having met them a few times at M&Gs where I’d planned what to say so I wouldn’t forget too easily, I’d still love to chat to them. For years I’ve had imaginary conversations, 20 years ago with my English teacher as she’d been helpful when I was stressed, I guess, more recently my theoretical future children now my feelings for Deps have somewhat calmed.

I thought the cake looked fine too until I saw the loose raspberries and crumbliness. The decorating had a unifying colour scheme and quite sparkly too.
susan2
rainbow nerd

flarequake wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:37 pm When they first announced the tour and talked about how it’ll be interactive in ways not seen before, my first thought was they might use an app, though thinking about it now, I’m not sure how they’d keep it just for the people at each show. In Who Wants to be a Millionaire on tv everyone had a device to choose between the 4 answers for Ask the Audience, in The Apprentice You’re Hired they each have a red and green lollipop paddle to say Hired or Fired, but those are all already done and mostly quite low-tech. I’m curious about it all.
Yes, that's the kind of 'safe interaction' I was envisaging too. I don't think it'll be an app either (their website says electronic devices to be turned off, and given the varying sizes of venues I wouldn't imagine clickers to be a viable option for them). But something where it makes the audience (collectively, without singling anyone out) feel like they're in control but D&P are actually maintaining the control - in a similar way to choose your own adventure (cake scene vs cowboys glow up). I mean, red and white glow sticks would do the trick and work with their tour branding (Dan did say it'd be "lit" ;) ...and the start of the trailer is the lights turning on)...

...but as you say, that sort of thing isn't "unlike anything done before" so who knows :shrug:

It does sound like they're planning to have a video screen, that they'll be merging in and out of, so that's also interactive in a different sort of way. I remain intrigued (and, to be honest, scared :lol: ).
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

I love Capita£ester trying really hard not to phrase normal tweets like spons and still failing :rofl:
(Is he doing this just because he wants to play the game with a lot of people or is it also a way to keep the audience engaged ?)
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

AroboticPhil wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 pm I love Capita£ester trying really hard not to phrase normal tweets like spons and still failing :rofl:
(Is he doing this just because he wants to play the game with a lot of people or is it also a way to keep the audience engaged ?)
Who knows? Either way I’ve signed up. I was worried it could be gambling but you can’t pay for anything.

He later gave out his code for more lives. Feel free to use mine: lilabet :lol:
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

AroboticPhil wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 pm I love Capita£ester trying really hard not to phrase normal tweets like spons and still failing :rofl:
I have no idea but I'm so sad the google play store doesn't have it!! I wanted to see what was so great. Phil and his quizzes :lol:
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
scientia
phabergé

oh my god my entire office is obsessed with HQ. We literally all stop what we're doing to play when it comes on and we all help each other with the questions :lol: no one has gotten past question #11 yet though!

you do get extra lives if people sign up with your code, but you can't really play "with" people. last night there were over 600K people playing and the chat is always a mess.

It honestly reminds me of something out of black mirror at times!
Last edited by scientia on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fieldoflovers
living flop

The app was pretty fun and a creative way for Phil to interact with the audience w/o uploading anything. I got to number 5 which is pretty bad but i did beat phil so yay. anyways I think this is a really smart way to keep the audience interested. also did anyone see ijustine replying to phil? i just like seeing deppy interact with other youtubers.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

flarequake wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:37 pm When they first announced the tour and talked about how it’ll be interactive in ways not seen before, my first thought was they might use an app, though thinking about it now, I’m not sure how they’d keep it just for the people at each show. In Who Wants to be a Millionaire on tv everyone had a device to choose between the 4 answers for Ask the Audience, in The Apprentice You’re Hired they each have a red and green lollipop paddle to say Hired or Fired, but those are all already done and mostly quite low-tech. I’m curious about it all.
I really am interested to see what’s going to happen. I hope they don’t use cheering as the best way to pick something as after the Berlin tatinof when the cheer was louder for the cake scene but they didn’t do it I don’t trust their arses! I’m sure there will be similar things to last time with booths beforehand where you can submit questions or record a video or something. I agree with everyone who said they won’t have random people up on stage who could blurt anything out.

I do have m&g tickets for the show, I definitely don’t need/want anything signed so am just gonna go and chat to them, even if it’s only for the minute each person seems to get. Be nice just to say hello and wish them well and to say thanks for all the bants this year.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I had a dream where I woke up to a notif on my phone that deppy had uploaded another Yasuhati gaming video. The dream was so real that when I got up, I hurried through my housework and then hopped on here to see how many pages of content the video generated. I was so confused when I saw that the thread was still on page 21! So I checked the gaming channel, and you know that feeling of slight dizziness when reality kind of shifts around you? That was me when I realized I had literally dreamed up the whole thing. :shock:
alien
procrastinator

lilabet wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:35 pm
Who knows? Either way I’ve signed up. I was worried it could be gambling but you can’t pay for anything.

He later gave out his code for more lives. Feel free to use mine: lilabet :lol:
I have no idea what I'm doing but I used your referral code fyi lol
blueskies
phillion/danosaur <//3

On the subject of dreams - yes, I do know that feeling!

But at least droopy's dream was relatively realistic. Back when I first got into deppy I dreamt that they arrived at my house in the middle of the night, wearing their tatinof cowboy suits, and gave me a bottle of wine before proceeding to leave mud tracks all over the floor. I was so mad I unsubscribed from them on the spot (in the dream, of course) but the whole thing was so surreal I knew it had to be a dream. :lol:

Re: Meeting dnp: I just want to spot them from a far distance and get visual confirmation that they're real people, not computer-generated images or AIs or something. Somehow even after a year or so they still don't feel like real people to me (does that make sense?) After all I've only ever seen them on a screen.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

droopy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:59 pm I had a dream where I woke up to a notif on my phone that deppy had uploaded another Yasuhati gaming video. The dream was so real that when I got up, I hurried through my housework and then hopped on here to see how many pages of content the video generated. I was so confused when I saw that the thread was still on page 21! So I checked the gaming channel, and you know that feeling of slight dizziness when reality kind of shifts around you? That was me when I realized I had literally dreamed up the whole thing. :shock:
I definitely get that too. I've had more than a few dreams where I've imagined watching their new DAPG video and they do something small but unmistakably #phanconfirmed (e.g. peck on the cheek/lips) and I squeal and scroll through the YT comments where everyone's freaking out and rejoicing then head over to IDB to see the record for 'most visitors' smashed once again :lol: it's happened so often that as soon as I last had a dream about them and they had a little cheeky peck I thought "hang on, this has to be a dream" and I pinched myself and I felt it so I thought it was real life... I was so confused when I woke up :cry: it's always a little disturbing when the lines blur between dream and reality
especially now it seems my brain is able to trick me into being convinced that my dreams are actually happening
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i had to lol at phil's tweet...i wonder if he discovered it through jenna and julien? (who are obsessed with the app and having been playing from when there were only a few hundred people showing up, and interviewed the host on their podcast the other week). or whether it's just growing at that rate where it's becoming a word of mouth spread from multiple sources. i've not seen any advertising for it anywhere i frequent online.

i won't be downloading it...i love trivia but it freaks me out. (black mirror is correct lol)
art in avatar by lily
Elyanie
dank meme

Re dreams: Dreaming about dnp is so weird for me honestly. Most of the time it's generally unpleasant because I have a recurring dream about meeting them and trying to run away because I'm so scared.
Probably the worst one I've had would be one where I was trying to run away from my old church. (I'm exmormon bi-monthly nightmares are part of the experience :oops: ) People I had known from there were chasing me trying to take me back. So I hid in some restaurant and watched out a window for them to go by.
I just sat in the restaurant for awhile with my mom who was suddenly there when I see deppy out the window. My mom saw them too and she literally pointed at them and said something like "oh my god Kenz I think that's dan and phil!" They heard us and looked straight at us and I was so fucking scared honestly. I ended up trying to hide under the table until I woke up. :lol:

I had one last week as well were I went to my old school and they were doing a meet and greet there???? don't ask I don't know either. For some reason I decided I was going to go even though I don't think I would come within a ten foot pole of them irl. I decided I would have them sign the collar of the t-shirt that I was wearing and when I got to the end of the line and it was my turn I asked them to do that. Phil signed it fine, but when Dan signed it he signed it really badly. I ended up getting really angry because he ruined my shirt, and I told him his signature was ugly :? . When I woke up I was so confused because the whole dream was not like me at all, and I kept feeling like I had to tweet about dan's ugly ass signature.
You are happy when you feel like you're being authentic
Elyanie
dank meme

also- if any of you guys are bored during the post-gamingmas drought there is another murder mystery game going on in the twt phandom again! i've been literally following it all day, people who make these truly are amazing <3 : https://twitter.com/tatinofphil
You are happy when you feel like you're being authentic
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Elyanie wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:31 am also- if any of you guys are bored during the post-gamingmas drought there is another murder mystery game going on in the twt phandom again! i've been literally following it all day, people who make these truly are amazing <3 : https://twitter.com/tatinofphil
honestly the last one was the best thing ever, I live for these murder mysteries