Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

yellowsubmarine wrote: Am I the only one that feels weird watching their old videos now? Not a bad weird, just a oh my god who are these two fetuses weird. I watched their first baking video (british pancakes) and I couldn't finish it, and that has never happened to me before. I used to binge watch them so much to cope with the drought season and now, I can't. I don't know what happened. I mostly watch their videos post-late 2015-2016 now, nothing before that. The only exception is DnPgames, I treasure 2014 gaming content so much. Anyone like this?
I can go back about as far as “Can Your Pet” but I usually start my rewatch around the videos they released when they were on tour in the US - the $5 video and slitherio/agario are when I felt like they started really loosening up (Although Tumblr tag 3 and Japan times were good)

I don’t like rewatching anything before that because their videos felt one-sided a lot and now there’s no more of that. We get to see their friendship and their personalities and it’s great.
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

LurkingTrash wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 pm
Am I the only one that feels weird watching their old videos now? Not a bad weird, just a oh my god who are these two fetuses weird. I watched their first baking video (british pancakes) and I couldn't finish it, and that has never happened to me before. I used to binge watch them so much to cope with the drought season and now, I can't. I don't know what happened. I mostly watch their videos post-late 2015-2016 now, nothing before that. The only exception is DnPgames, I treasure 2014 gaming content so much. Anyone like this?
I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling this way. 2017 brought a whole new dynamic in videos. Like deppy now seem to be more open, carefree, and "happy," I put happy in quotes because I'm not saying they weren't happy before but they just seem happier now. Especially towards the end there. I think after Dan uploaded his video about depression a tension was released. It's one thing that wasn't a secret anymore. Dan even said that because of the positive response he got he felt like he would be able to share more. Phil seems to not really give a shit about keeping an "innocent" branding anymore and therefore is also showing his self more. Nothing seems overtly exaggerated anymore. All reactions are natural, all jokes show their actual humor; it all feels more real. I feel like older videos and the videos we got this past year are just so drastically different that now it has become hard to watch the older ones.
Sorry for this long ramble but this content drought makes you go back, re-watch, and think way too much.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Add me to the list of people who can only watch very early videos, or videos made in the post-baking universe. There are isolated moments of those middle years that are fantastic but it's hard to appreciate them when it's surrounded by Dan and Phil being quite restrained, both with us and generally with each other. On top of it being less enjoyable in general (knowing how they act now) I always just get super distracted in my own head psychoanalyzing the things they did let through back then, and where they must have been in other areas of their life (book writing? tour planning? radio show?)
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

(#phandivorced over the christmas break ? )

I guess this also means no liveshow (or probably any kind of content) this week ? :(

Same for me about watching old videos, especially old Dan videos, I can't go anywhere near them. I think the exception might be some amazingphil videos because they feel kinda "out of time" (even tho post baking Phil is like a billion times better :love2: )
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

(I was beat to posting Phil's tweet, but here are some related things)
Anthony replied to it.
Then, 10 minutes later:
I am not lying when I say I LITERALLY THOUGHT IT WAS A PICTURE OF DAN.

EDIT: I screwed up the twitter links.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

dancy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm
onceinaugust wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 pm
lilabet wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm I have this feeling that we will one day find out we were complete wrong on all the flat theories. Watch it turn out to have 10 floors over 3 apartments. :x

In all seriousness I’ve given up trying to work it out at they haven’t actually showed us much. Considering how weird their last layout was and that they haven’t really shown us this one I’m sticking to Dans initial comment of one flat lots of floors.
Agreed. Right now I'm just thinking one flat, at least three floors (from various references to having to take things upstairs) set up like this:
Floor 1- Baking video kitchen, Gaming room, Phils room, slounge
~Stairs by Dans LS area that Phil crabwalked up during PINOF and walked up wearing inflatable Halloween costume to
Floor 2- Grey lounge, mini kitchen, dining room table where Phil does LSs,
~Stairs that have glass floor over them that Phil showed in twitpic
Floor 3- Moon room, possibly their actual office?
I definitely think the moon room would be on the second floor and the upstairs lounge would be on the third floor, if they do actually have a three-floor apartment. Dan mentioned his live show area and charger were upstairs while he was in his room (8:25 and 11:10 Hangout with Halloween Howell). The upstairs lounge also seems to have only one staircase, which goes down.

Speaking of stairs, the ones that we see in PINOF 9 have a light brown floor underneath and the stairs that have a glass floor above them seem to be from the upstairs lounge. I'm pretty sure it's the same set of stairs, meaning that if they have another staircase that goes from the first to the second floor, they've never shown us. Images are below.
ImageImageImage
dan did emphasize the strange shape and many floors of this flat - given last flat was 3 floors, i'm guessing this is at least 4. also think that it's not normal shaped, with stairs leading to a full floor - maybe like a single room off the landing between stairs, etc.
>walk out basement (seems a bit too dark for an actual ground level): kitchen #1 (baking), phil's room, slounge, a bathroom, office
>stairs #1: unseen
>ground floor, first full storey: kitchen #2, dining room, beetle bathroom, guest room(s)??
>stairs #2: unseen
>second storey (smaller than the rest, basically a landing between stairs): moon room, bathroom??
>stairs #3: crabwalk stairs
>third storey: grey lounge, gaming room (ensuite bath), dan's liveshow nook, balcony

seems clear that ground to second storey were designed as one flat, and the lower level was separate. 2 entrances would explain the 2 intercoms. they might have been merged later on and the staircase was added then.

or, it's possible that they still are two separate flats, just accessible through the main building hallway (elevator place? you know what i mean) all their rooms are definitely in one building though - our boys would not want to travel to film, and it's also just convenient. they could even use the filming flat as a guest suite when they have friends over. i certainly would
edit: put spoiler to shorten it :oops:
alch
ar·tic·u·late

yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 pm
Am I the only one that feels weird watching their old videos now? Not a bad weird, just a oh my god who are these two fetuses weird. I watched their first baking video (british pancakes) and I couldn't finish it, and that has never happened to me before. I used to binge watch them so much to cope with the drought season and now, I can't. I don't know what happened. I mostly watch their videos post-late 2015-2016 now, nothing before that. The only exception is DnPgames, I treasure 2014 gaming content so much. Anyone like this?
ugh, feeling the same way. The old baking videos really remind me of the former, and current lack thereof, female attraction mentions. It's such a weird contrast with the current way they behave in videos. I used to watch so many of their old videos but i honestly can't finish anything from maybe even the entire 2011-2014 period. Though I disagree here with the gaming channel. Even the 2014 gaming videos feel weird to me.
000dia000
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:20 pm Add me to the list of people who can only watch very early videos, or videos made in the post-baking universe. There are isolated moments of those middle years that are fantastic but it's hard to appreciate them when it's surrounded by Dan and Phil being quite restrained, both with us and generally with each other. On top of it being less enjoyable in general (knowing how they act now) I always just get super distracted in my own head psychoanalyzing the things they did let through back then, and where they must have been in other areas of their life (book writing? tour planning? radio show?)
Yeah, I find myself often romanticizing their past videos and the era of like 2013-2014 as the "best" era of videos, due to the all youtube collabs, public events and individual channel videos and quality (particularly for Dan). I find that when I first got into them, a lot of compilation videos of funny/cute/phan moments used this era in their vids, so I just sort of associate this era as their era. But in reality, whenever I look back I am unable to watch any of them. I find Dan irritable and fake, and find Phil's persona just saddening. I realized recently that I am only able to watch videos "post-baking universe" because of anything, before I know, is fake, their interactions are held back and uncomfortable to watch. It's actually strange how used to I've become (well, I suppose everybody) has to their current behavior, and believe as if they've always been like this. They haven't. We as an audience have it good, 2013 would freak out if deppy were possibly in the back of a video on Martyn's Instagram, but now I don't think I even see it mentioned here.

However, I think the one thing that I do miss is the kind of power they had on YouTube and the power of the phandom itself. They aren't losing popularity, don't get me wrong, but I feel as if the Internet, YouTube and fandoms itself has grown so much and become more mainstream. I don't think they really have a presence as notable YouTubers anymore that they had several years ago, their subscribers and view count are a fraction of others. They've kind of lost the distinction they had as creators when they've been replaced by the next big YouTuber over and over again. This occurred to me when Dan mentioned his latest Dan memes video, and I realized there hasn't been any because his audience has moved past making Dan shit posts and annoying him, because Dan has moved past it in both his content, in his humor, and has stopped indulging his fanbase. He does very little in terms of interaction and encouragement, in fact, more and more as creators they're feeling less connected to their fanbase and have instead become actors in movies that we watch through our screens, but don't touch. I don't know, but I think the audience feels this. Dan is less inclined to be silly, interact with his audience or be "relatable" and has lost that touch that made him distinct. Most of the time, he feels just "there" with people still anticipating his videos and liking him, but him not really giving much back with meme potential. (side note: he has connected with them via him opening up about his depression, but another's discussion entirely and memes about that would be tasteless ngl) Furthermore, the death fo his Tumblr is a nail in the coffin for his audience connecting with him. He's still a personality, and people still greatly admire him, appreciate him, and worship him but he's lost the "danisnotonfire" part of himself. He's rebranded and moved on, so so has his audience.

Ironically, Phil has become more relatable and interactive and for some reason has had numerous fucking memes. how the hell did this happen, and people still call Dan the relatable one? smh Dan lost danisnotonfire but Phil acquired it
:cactus:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

alch wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:23 pm
yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 pm
ugh, feeling the same way. The old baking videos really remind me of the former, and current lack thereof, female attraction mentions. It's such a weird contrast with the current way they behave in videos. I used to watch so many of their old videos but i honestly can't finish anything from maybe even the entire 2011-2014 period. Though I disagree here with the gaming channel. Even the 2014 gaming videos feel weird to me.
Yes I feel the same but there arnt many gaming videos I can’t watch but you can clearly see the difference in they way both act, mostly in phil sometimes I rewatch 2014 sims videos and the way he acts seems so unnatural to me. The only gaming video I won’t watch is them playing Tekken with their feet. I can’t even remember what they said in that video but I just can’t watch it. Maybe a comment they made about a female character. For me I can watch most of dan videos when he’s alone and most of phils videos when he’s alone. But the collabs when dan would go into phil channel I can’t go back and watch. Like the Halloween baking the brownie one some of the things dans says makes me side eye so much. And the Halloween story one where dan says phil needs a gf. I think for me liveshows are the number one thing I could never ever go back and watch! I can’t do it and I see people do It all the time. It causes me so much anxiety because I’m not use to the way they act, mainly dans no homo comments. I can watch only 2015 and onwards but I wouldn’t go back to anything before that. I think 2013 has the most videos I avoid like pinof 4!!! I skip everytime. It’s so weird going back and watching them after 2 years of gamingmas where they seemed to warm up to the camera and be less forced. Maybe the undertale series where they would have to film for over a hour made phil come out of his amazingphil shell.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:20 pm Add me to the list of people who can only watch very early videos, or videos made in the post-baking universe. There are isolated moments of those middle years that are fantastic but it's hard to appreciate them when it's surrounded by Dan and Phil being quite restrained, both with us and generally with each other. On top of it being less enjoyable in general (knowing how they act now) I always just get super distracted in my own head psychoanalyzing the things they did let through back then, and where they must have been in other areas of their life (book writing? tour planning? radio show?)
Yeah, I find myself often romanticizing their past videos and the era of like 2013-2014 as the "best" era of videos, due to the all youtube collabs, public events and individual channel videos and quality (particularly for Dan). I find that when I first got into them, a lot of compilation videos of funny/cute/phan moments used this era in their vids, so I just sort of associate this era as their era. But in reality, whenever I look back I am unable to watch any of them. I find Dan irritable and fake, and find Phil's persona just saddening. I realized recently that I am only able to watch videos "post-baking universe" because of anything, before I know, is fake, their interactions are held back and uncomfortable to watch. It's actually strange how used to I've become (well, I suppose everybody) has to their current behavior, and believe as if they've always been like this. They haven't. We as an audience have it good, 2013 would freak out if deppy were possibly in the back of a video on Martyn's Instagram, but now I don't think I even see it mentioned here.
However, I think the one thing that I do miss is the kind of power they had on YouTube and the power of the phandom itself. They aren't losing popularity, don't get me wrong, but I feel as if the Internet, YouTube and fandoms itself has grown so much and become more mainstream. I don't think they really have a presence as notable YouTubers anymore that they had several years ago, their subscribers and view count are a fraction of others. They've kind of lost the distinction they had as creators when they've been replaced by the next big YouTuber over and over again. This occurred to me when Dan mentioned his latest Dan memes video, and I realized there hasn't been any because his audience has moved past making Dan shit posts and annoying him, because Dan has moved past it in both his content, in his humor, and has stopped indulging his fanbase. He does very little in terms of interaction and encouragement, in fact, more and more as creators they're feeling less connected to their fanbase and have instead become actors in movies that we watch through our screens, but don't touch. I don't know, but I think the audience feels this. Dan is less inclined to be silly, interact with his audience or be "relatable" and has lost that touch that made him distinct. Most of the time, he feels just "there" with people still anticipating his videos and liking him, but him not really giving much back with meme potential. (side note: he has connected with them via him opening up about his depression, but another's discussion entirely and memes about that would be tasteless ngl) Furthermore, the death fo his Tumblr is a nail in the coffin for his audience connecting with him. He's still a personality, and people still greatly admire him, appreciate him, and worship him but he's lost the "danisnotonfire" part of himself. He's rebranded and moved on, so so has his audience.

Ironically, Phil has become more relatable and interactive and for some reason has had numerous fucking memes. how the hell did this happen, and people still call Dan the relatable one? smh Dan lost danisnotonfire but Phil acquired it
I won't quite it since it's one post post above mine, but Dia I think I agree with a lot of your points just to less extremes. I think youtube itself as a platform has shifted from being a niche for people who enjoy personal content to something more mainstream, and I think what made Dan and Phil unique hasn't changed but is less noteworthy to the bulk of the youtube audience. I do think they're hanging in there just fine, though. They're still some of the most engaged celebrities I've ever been in a fandom for, and their views are solidly above average in terms of youtubers from their particular era. If you ever want to feel that, just take a look at what kind of views people like Grace/Hannah/Mamrie get - or even Tyler Oakley.

But I will give them some credit here - I don't think they chose to pursue youtube full speed ahead to stay relevant the way some people have, and I think that finding an even divide between career and life/privacy was completely a goal of this year and those two things do not go hand in hand. I think they've made some moves to ensure stability (the regular posting schedule, for one, and the livestreams on the gaming channel) while choosing of their own volition to not do more that was outside of the comfort zone.

I also think you are also right that the audience is taking their cues from Dan; Dan wants to leave behind the silly branding and the tone of the whole year for him has been taking things seriously, with an emphasis on mental health and growing up. There's just not a lot funny to do with that, and even if there were - Dan himself seems to be shouting 'take me seriously, please.' Whereas Phil has been all about letting loose and relaxing - and no one feels bad laughing along with someone who seems to be laughing back for the first time. But I don't think I'd relegate the depression video to a side note. I think Dan talking so openly about mental health is just him redefining the kind of connection he wants.

I think we haven't felt this to the most keen potential for lost insight into their lives, though. I don't think in the time I've been in fandom (mid 2015) Dan's tumblr was ever a thing I felt like he actively used, but... liveshows? Yeah. I'm curious to see whether or not they kill liveshows completely this year, and what difference that makes. Also whether or not they really do bring us along for the tour more this year (with no DAPGO type book) than they did last time. I think there's potential for us to feel the same levels of involved we did as they were in Singapore, and honestly it's not the same as liveshows but I think I'd appreciate that just as much.

(The Martyn video did get mentioned here, but to be honest it doesn't look remotely like them to me - I think most people agreeing that it isn't them is why it didn't get a lot of traction.)
malday
emo goose

VengefulBlue wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:02 pm
>walk out basement (seems a bit too dark for an actual ground level): kitchen #1 (baking), phil's room, slounge, a bathroom, office
>ground floor, first full storey: kitchen #2, dining room, beetle bathroom, guest room(s)??
>second storey (smaller than the rest, basically a landing between stairs): moon room, bathroom??
>third storey: grey lounge, gaming room (ensuite bath), dan's liveshow nook, balcony

seems clear that ground to second storey were designed as one flat, and the lower level was separate. 2 entrances would explain the 2 intercoms. they might have been merged later on and the staircase was added then.

or, it's possible that they still are two separate flats, just accessible through the main building hallway (elevator place? you know what i mean) all their rooms are definitely in one building though - our boys would not want to travel to film, and it's also just convenient. they could even use the filming flat as a guest suite when they have friends over. i certainly would
I don't think there is a basement level, the kitchen where they did the baking and the slounge looked like they had windows and a balcony.
I think there are more than 2 intercoms, but it doesn't mean anything since you usually put an intercom on each floor in a house to answer it without having to run down the stairs every time.

The more i read about it, the 2 apartments in the same building is the only thing that makes sense, so consider me sold on that theory too.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

malday wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 pm

I don't think there is a basement level, the kitchen where they did the baking and the slounge looked like they had windows and a balcony.
I think there are more than 2 intercoms, but it doesn't mean anything since you usually put an intercom on each floor in a house to answer it without having to run down the stairs every time.

The more i read about it, the 2 apartments in the same building is the only thing that makes sense, so consider me sold on that theory too.
My hesitation with the two flat theory is this: What are the chances there would be two flats available for rent at the same time in the same building? I'm unfamiliar with the London rent market, but I feel as though the chances of that are slim.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
autumnhearth
senpai

Very interesting observations about audience connection, relatability and memeability 000dia000. I think this is probably a good/healthy thing for both of them.

I didn’t chime in before, but I would definitely be down for Dan roasting Phil via memes this year. Or at least some D&P memes. One Dan meme I don’t think I saw mentioned here (mind you I could have missed it) was the voting squat and pray one. Lots of things were done with that sign. It was big right when I started my phan side blog on Tumblr.

For the most part while I can sit through videos from any era I rarely turn to their 2011-2013 videos for entertainment or comfort, but I will watch them if I’m looking for specific information. I agree Secretstanner, liveshows from that era (and the v-yous that came before them) are torture. A torture that I have willing exposed myself to many times. (Btw PINOF 4 was in 2012 not 2013, but same. PINOF 5 was mildly better, but 6 is when they start to shine.)

Having come in right at the beginning of the post baking universe it’s kind of always felt this way for me. I watched all their videos eventually out of curiousity to see the character development, but the ones from those middle year’s have always made me uncomfortable and sad. But I understand that the growth from this year would make it all the more starker for those who have been in it for the long haul.

dancy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:54 pm
onceinaugust wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 pm
lilabet wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm I have this feeling that we will one day find out we were complete wrong on all the flat theories. Watch it turn out to have 10 floors over 3 apartments. :x

In all seriousness I’ve given up trying to work it out at they haven’t actually showed us much. Considering how weird their last layout was and that they haven’t really shown us this one I’m sticking to Dans initial comment of one flat lots of floors.
Agreed. Right now I'm just thinking one flat, at least three floors (from various references to having to take things upstairs) set up like this:
Floor 1- Baking video kitchen, Gaming room, Phils room, slounge
~Stairs by Dans LS area that Phil crabwalked up during PINOF and walked up wearing inflatable Halloween costume to
Floor 2- Grey lounge, mini kitchen, dining room table where Phil does LSs,
~Stairs that have glass floor over them that Phil showed in twitpic
Floor 3- Moon room, possibly their actual office?
I definitely think the moon room would be on the second floor and the upstairs lounge would be on the third floor, if they do actually have a three-floor apartment. Dan mentioned his live show area and charger were upstairs while he was in his room (8:25 and 11:10 Hangout with Halloween Howell). The upstairs lounge also seems to have only one staircase, which goes down.

Speaking of stairs, the ones that we see in PINOF 9 have a light brown floor underneath and the stairs that have a glass floor above them seem to be from the upstairs lounge. I'm pretty sure it's the same set of stairs, meaning that if they have another staircase that goes from the first to the second floor, they've never shown us. Images are below.
ImageImageImage
dan did emphasize the strange shape and many floors of this flat - given last flat was 3 floors, i'm guessing this is at least 4. also think that it's not normal shaped, with stairs leading to a full floor - maybe like a single room off the landing between stairs, etc.

@lilabet Dan clearly said it was nine floors. Ten is really pushing it don’t you think? ;)

@VengefulBlue Just curious as to why you think the gaming room is on the top floor when it has the same white tile and dark doors as the AP room? It’s very different from the grey lounge. Also we’ve seen the other kitchen from the upstairs lounge in one of Dan’s liveshows. It seems to be where Phil does most of his from, so it makes no sense to be on a lower floor. Unless you are proposing they have 3 kitchens :o
Most importantly what is that white thing underneath the stairs?

It reminds me of a strange cross between Baymax from Big Hero 6 and a little Princess Monoke spirit. Maybe throw in Olaf and something from Undertale for good measure. :napsta: :hearts: :ghostclaps:

And yes, that under chin floor angle of Anthony totally looks like Dan, minus the hands. Those are not Dan hands. :rofl:
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Ok terribly dated question, honestly I should already know this… What exact year/point in time would you call "Post-Baking Universe" and when did Dan mention it? Theres been lots of baking videos but I'm curious to see which was the true turning point (I guess) of their authenticity on camera?
From my impression I've always envisioned Pumpkin Spice Pumpkin Cookies? (The first baking video in a long time on Dan's channel?) So 2015?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sonicgreen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 pm Ok terribly dated question, honestly I should already know this… What exact year/point in time would you call "Post-Baking Universe" and when did Dan mention it? Theres been lots of baking videos but I'm curious to see which was the true turning point (I guess) of their authenticity on camera?
From my impression I've always envisioned Pumpkin Spice Pumpkin Cookies? (The first baking video in a long time on Dan's channel?) So 2015?
It was actually the baking video in 2016 - Dan himself is the one that coined the phrase! He also spoke about that baking video in the liveshow he did right after it (where he called it a "hot sexual mess") and then I think in early December he also said something to the same effect, was it at DAPGOOSE? Someone with a better memory can provide receipts for that.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 pm Most importantly what is that white thing underneath the stairs?
It reminds me of a strange cross between Baymax from Big Hero 6 and a little Princess Monoke spirit. Maybe throw in Olaf and something from Undertale for good measure. :napsta: :hearts: :ghostclaps:
(Sorry for the double-post oops) That looks to me like a bunny. Tiny tail, and you can barely make out the tall ears. But why a bunny?? and from where?? Its not the easter bunny mask either…
sonicgreen
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 pm
sonicgreen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 pm Ok terribly dated question, honestly I should already know this… What exact year/point in time would you call "Post-Baking Universe" and when did Dan mention it? Theres been lots of baking videos but I'm curious to see which was the true turning point (I guess) of their authenticity on camera?
It was actually the baking video in 2016 - Dan himself is the one that coined the phrase! He also spoke about that baking video in the liveshow he did right after it (where he called it a "hot sexual mess") and then I think in early December he also said something to the same effect, was it at DAPGOOSE? Someone with a better memory can provide receipts for that.
Oh thank you so much, that makes sense. Yeah I thought he coined the phrase, way to self proclaim your own character development. I love.
blackdenim
procrastinator

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 pm

When I was a kid I had this bear lamp that I thought was the height of sophistication - it looked a bit like this:
That's what the white thing looks like to me, but there's no wire coming out of it that I can see and I don't see why they'd put a lamp under the stairs, so maybe it's some kind of cartoon bear... figurine?
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

blackdenim wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 pm

When I was a kid I had this bear lamp that I thought was the height of sophistication - it looked a bit like this:
That's what the white thing looks like to me, but there's no wire coming out of it that I can see and I don't see why they'd put a lamp under the stairs, so maybe it's some kind of cartoon bear... figurine?
i was thinking it was probably something from firebox, considering they both seem to love that store, especially Phil. Maybe a light like this (though definitely not exactly that lol) that they use at night when all the main lights are off so they don't fall up for down the stairs in the middle of the night?
000dia000
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 pm I also think you are also right that the audience is taking their cues from Dan; Dan wants to leave behind the silly branding and the tone of the whole year for him has been taking things seriously, with an emphasis on mental health and growing up. There's just not a lot funny to do with that, and even if there were - Dan himself seems to be shouting 'take me seriously, please.' Whereas Phil has been all about letting loose and relaxing - and no one feels bad laughing along with someone who seems to be laughing back for the first time. But I don't think I'd relegate the depression video to a side note. I think Dan talking so openly about mental health is just him redefining the kind of connection he wants.
I agree. I kind of relegated the mental health video to a side note as I didn't think it was relevant to my point exactly, but I also wanted to include that I didn't disregard it completely and that it remains a different aspect that connects Dan to his audience that he hasn't had before. I believe that in Dan's older branding, he wanted that "silly" connection, self-titling himself as an "internet cult leader" to promote himself as an edgy, meme lord. Now, he wants to redefine his brand and his connection to his audience through establishing himself as an advocate for positive mental health and as a good influence for his followers. It was just my point that this redefinition and change in the relationship also changes the way he and his audience certainly interact. There is still a familiarity, but less of an "equal" footing. He's no longer a niche dude on the internet, making videos, and having a laugh: now Dan is less a person and more an idol in a way. I know that that is very debatable and many people wouldn't feel the same way and to each their own. I don't feel that way entirely, but I do feel it to a degree, that while I admire Dan very much and he does a lot for people, the worship he gets as a person for the things he does builds him up as "perfect" and infallible sometimes. I think he's washed over his imperfections and groundedness that made him more relatable and approachable. I don't ever think Dan was close to his fans, I don't think he currently is, nor ever will be, but I think he's lost a little bit of the allusion as someone on an equal footing. This "allusion" of friendliness is probably what attracts fans. He's more of a celebrity now, and no longer a kid making videos in his bedroom. I feel like as a figure he's lost this kind of relatability.

Now, important to note. This isn't bad, and I'm not trying to say it's bad. Like you say, the mental health promotion that Dan does is important. People look up to him, admire him, and care about him. Dan greatly respects his fans etc and does his best to please people. He has simply redefined and figure he is from danisnotonfire to Daniel Howell and has thus made these changes. His move in rebranding also redefined how the main core of his audience view Dan and his content, they have changed like him, and make content in a reflection of that. Hence, no more dodgy, silly memes that were once so popular. I don't think it's so fun anymore to use Dan as a "punching bag" for jokes like it was in say 2015.

TLDR: This brief discussion is on Dan's attempt at memes, if anybody's interested. It's kind of stupid.

I think that he experimented with "The Memeing of Life" video earlier this year, and with the mixed response, he realized he missed the mark completely. I think he realized at that moment that he was jumping the gun with the kind of memers he was dealing with. I think the kind of audience he has has interacted with "memes" by applying what was popular on the surface layer of memes, and what memes were applicable and could be crossed into the phandom culture, also making Dan versions of these. There was a kind of Tumblr humour and culture that Dan tapped into, he exhibited naturally with the kind of personality and humour he was going for. He based his audience on that. However, the kind of "memes" he was going for in his meme video last year was too niche. It's the kind of meme and ideas that you could only attempt with the audience where you establish it as a basis early on or at the very least have an audience that is accessible to that. Dan did not, he realized that, and moved on. [A pity, tbh, he seemed to be genuinely interested in trying to "branch out" meme-wise but kind of realized it wasn't right]
:cactus:
malday
emo goose

blackdenim wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 pm

It looks to me like that exact bear floor lamp, actually. And i think it's totally something they would buy. :lol:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Regarding the flat, I think there's only too plausible theories:
a) It's two flats, most likely in the same building. One contains the gaming room + ensuite bathroom, Phil's room, the slounge and baking kitchen (which I think may be connected), Dan's filming space, presumably another bathroom and balcony off the slounge/kitchen - aka, the tiled rooms. The rooms with floorboards are all in the other apartment.
b) Like Dan said, it's one duplex with a confusing layout, spread over many floors. First floor = all tiled rooms. Second floor = moon room (+ ensuite), possibly another bedroom, probably a bathroom. Third floor = one big room containing grey lounge + computer/piano nook + dining table where Phil does live shows + kitchen with balcony off it.

I think either theory is believable, and I have no idea which one I believe more.

Also I agree that the thing under the stairs looks like that bear lamp, and it makes sense to have it under the stairs to light the way during the night, or maybe they just had nowhere else to put it. The floor beneath the upstairs lounge is the most intriguing to me tbh, I don't believe they've shown us any of it aside from the moon room. Not that they have any obligation to at all, it just piques my curiosity.
tigertatze
living flop

000dia000 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm
TLDR: This brief discussion is on Dan's attempt at memes, if anybody's interested. It's kind of stupid.

I think that he experimented with "The Memeing of Life" video earlier this year, and with the mixed response, he realized he missed the mark completely. I think he realized at that moment that he was jumping the gun with the kind of memers he was dealing with. I think the kind of audience he has has interacted with "memes" by applying what was popular on the surface layer of memes, and what memes were applicable and could be crossed into the phandom culture, also making Dan versions of these. There was a kind of Tumblr humour and culture that Dan tapped into, he exhibited naturally with the kind of personality and humour he was going for. He based his audience on that. However, the kind of "memes" he was going for in his meme video last year was too niche. It's the kind of meme and ideas that you could only attempt with the audience where you establish it as a basis early on or at the very least have an audience that is accessible to that. Dan did not, he realized that, and moved on. [A pity, tbh, he seemed to be genuinely interested in trying to "branch out" meme-wise but kind of realized it wasn't right]
the memeing of life video was truly under appreciated tbh
#nohetero
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

captainspacecoat wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 am Regarding the flat, I think there's only too plausible theories:
a) It's two flats, most likely in the same building. One contains the gaming room + ensuite bathroom, Phil's room, the slounge and baking kitchen (which I think may be connected), Dan's filming space, presumably another bathroom and balcony off the slounge/kitchen - aka, the tiled rooms. The rooms with floorboards are all in the other apartment.
b) Like Dan said, it's one duplex with a confusing layout, spread over many floors. First floor = all tiled rooms. Second floor = moon room (+ ensuite), possibly another bedroom, probably a bathroom. Third floor = one big room containing grey lounge + computer/piano nook + dining table where Phil does live shows + kitchen with balcony off it.

I think either theory is believable, and I have no idea which one I believe more.

Also I agree that the thing under the stairs looks like that bear lamp, and it makes sense to have it under the stairs to light the way during the night, or maybe they just had nowhere else to put it. The floor beneath the upstairs lounge is the most intriguing to me tbh, I don't believe they've shown us any of it aside from the moon room. Not that they have any obligation to at all, it just piques my curiosity.
this makes the most sense i agree. though I stand by my theory that there must be at least 4 floors, otherwise dan wouldn't have mentioned it having "like 10" - who knows, maybe lower flat is actually a split level in some weird way.

@autumnhearth reasoning was something to do with soundproofing the gaming room after making noise in the lounge - but i've just realised that was probably in the downstairs slounge. they really do have the weirdest flat(s) - i've never been in any house/apartment where the kitchen wasn't on the bottom floor (even if it was a walk up).
Birdie
blobfish

(Is there a reason people are so uncomfortable with female attraction mentions? I read it a few times now and it kind of rubs me the wrong way. Like, most people agree they're probably bi so why would mentioning attraction to women be weird? Am I missing something?)

I also can't watch their old videos. I used to spend hours watching and rewatching their older stuff (2011-2013) but I can't watch those videos anymore, not even old radio show clips. Their dynamic just changed so drastically over the past few months that watching their old videos makes me uncomfortable because it doesn't feel right somehow :shrug:. Watching their pre-2015 videos feels like finding someone's old embarrassing teenage photos on Facebook. (Their older videos are very well made and I used to enjoy them a lot, they just belong to a different time somehow.)