Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
malday
emo goose

blackdenim wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:38 pm
malday wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:17 am And at this point arguments that involve comparing Dan and Phil's life to one's own life experience seem so repetitive and redundant to me because no one has lived Dan and Phil's unique life. Not to mention that one's experience is affected by your sexuality and how open you could live your life.
This is a great point and I agree, and I wasn't trying to use my own life to make an argument for D&P not being together, I was just providing an example/context to my point about confirmation bias.

However I think it's interesting that (not just on here, in the Phandom as a whole) if someone says (for example) 'well me and my platonic best friend spend Christmas together and we're not a couple', people will rush over to say that D&P are totally individual and unique, and we shouldn't compare our own, real life relationships with them. But on the other hand, someone can say 'me and my partner have been together for 10 years and have never spent a Christmas together', and often the same people will use that as a way to point out that loads of couples don't spend Christmas together, so the fact that D&P don't, doesn't mean they're not in a relationship.
Just to clarify, I wasn't judging you or anyone and I wasn't defending one side or the other when i said Dan and Phil's life is unique, everyone is free to compare it to their own life. It was just my observation that, when i've seen those comparisons to subjective experiences used as arguments, the discussion went nowhere because for every person who does things with their friends there is someone who doesn't.
I can only speak for myself but my opinion(and i've not always held the same opinion) was formed just based on what things Dan and Phil themselves have done throughout the years.

[edit] sorry for this ending up on top of the page.
Last edited by malday on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somelikeitpink
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

okay @Loafer this was actually enough to make me come back here (hi everyone, long time no see) because holy crap that analogy was good. Thats like.. the best kind of description I've ever heard.

Also I agree with everyone who said before that its about the bigger picture, about them accepting (and possibly encouraging) the information spreading out to the fandom. I mean I personally think Dan might had home for the 25th or at least have some family time alone considering his comments lately, but even so, this is incredibly sweet. Bless Cornelia.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Loafer wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:26 pmAbout this as proof -it’s just one more piece of the puzzle imo. To me, trying to argue against this being proof would be like holding a piece of a puzzle and being like “look, it’s blue! It could be the sky, or water, or a piece of clothing, or a wall, or so many things!” which of course is true. But in this case most of the other puzzle pieces have fish on them. So it makes the most sense for the blue piece to be water, right? A lot of the arguments against phan I’ve read sound like “I put together a puzzle with a blue piece like this and it was a baby’s bedroom, so that’s what I think this must be! All the fish must be a painting on the wall or something, silly!” Or “I see the fish but I think we should wait until the puzzle is finished to see what the picture is, I think is still could be the sky.”
Just quoting this so it's on the new page, because I think it's a really great way to illustrate the differences that some of us are coming from looking at the situation!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

whatdoiknow wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:46 pm
Stakhanov wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:19 pm Hm, i've given this some thought before and while I wouldn't hold it against them in any significant way it would be harder for me to put trust into their words if they turned out to be a couple. I can understand they might feel that they have good reasons to lie, but they would have lied. Explicitly. Multiple times throughout years. Dedicated a blog on denying that they are a together.
That's interesting, I thought there'd be people who would be upset with them if they weren't a couple, but not if they were. You're entitled to your opinion obviously, but I personally have no problem with them lying. If they are in a closeted relationship, they have every right to have lied about it. It's a scary thing to come out, and people have already listed the reasons why many times so I won't get into it. Also, most of the lies were many years ago; but even if they said today that they were not in a relationship, and then it came out in a few years that they actually are, I would not be the least bit mad. Hell, even zalfie outright lied about their relationship and they're a het couple. I just don't have any problem with people in a public setting lying about aspects of their private life. Like, I've even lied about things to my irl friends/family, and I bet most people have.
I wouldn't be upset so much as I would just be more reluctant to trust them to say the truth in any other matter about their life. They could have also just not said anything about it. What would perhaps sting the most for me is that I would not understand why they insist on lying about the matter while making so much content that is really ambiguous and could be considered "phanservice". If you want to protect your relationship from the public eye by stating you are most assuredly not a couple (in quite graphic detail and with some clear emotion) and then go on doing things like acting out fanfiction, including it in your book, and doing what they do on their channels ... i feel that were to be very inconsistent of them. They do not "owe" us any explanation and aren't beholden to behave in any sort of way of course, but much as I imagine people would have difficulties with the V-day vid as a prank or would feel deceived if they were in actuality straight as an arrow, i would feel that they have been dishonest all along.

But as @julian says, I agree that they are not fictional characters they are just people like everyone else and their (love) lives and (sexual) identity might be muddy and chaotic and full of contradiction as can happen with real people in this world :lol: and that's why I don't in the end would be upset, just more guarded.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Loafer wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:26 pm
About this as proof -it’s just one more piece of the puzzle imo. To me, trying to argue against this being proof would be like holding a piece of a puzzle and being like “look, it’s blue! It could be the sky, or water, or a piece of clothing, or a wall, or so many things!” which of course is true. But in this case most of the other puzzle pieces have fish on them. So it makes the most sense for the blue piece to be water, right? A lot of the arguments against phan I’ve read sound like “I put together a puzzle with a blue piece like this and it was a baby’s bedroom, so that’s what I think this must be! All the fish must be a painting on the wall or something, silly!” Or “I see the fish but I think we should wait until the puzzle is finished to see what the picture is, I think is still could be the sky.”
Well yes i think this illustrates how as a fan community we are always going to be stuck in the dark and are confined to speculation, bringing in many assumptions and trying to puzzle snippets of information together to make a bigger picture.
Of course, if we say the puzzle piece is most likely blue because most other pieces have fish in them, it becomes very important how you look at the entire puzzle so far. If you think they're together, you see fish so it's likely water to you. If you think they are friends, you don't see fish and it may look more like a sky piece to you rather than water that confirms the fish
That's exactly what confirmation bias is: you give a certain significance or not to a piece of information and view it as confirming the image you already had. I feel that we only have a couple of pieces and we are always eager to puzzle about every little thing they do because we like them and we like to know more about them.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
DatCog
blobfish

These guys are really spoiling us this Christmas...a festive Yasuhati!! :ravetree: :ravetree:
katemko
delia smith

...ohmigod the baby it's cold outside duet.
i'm so funny. i am the funniest person in the world. ryan gosling finds me hilarious. i'm in a submarine.
so_cheesy
butt chair

oh man this was great, yasuhati singing never fails to make me cry from laughter. my fave video of this year’s gamingmas.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Phil's voice in the Baby It's Cold Outside duet... :garbage:
I'm so happy they played Yasuhati again, the first two had me laughing the whole time. I love how Dan's swearing got so excessive they had to bleep it :lol:
ams
smol bean

"to say i've been outside and gone for a walk" okay dan :thumb:
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

it wasn’t my favorite vid bc i don’t like that game but...... that baby is cold outside bit made me think of s2 klaine and :love1: :love1: :love1: (god i miss glee/ klaine lol)
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

ams wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:01 pm "to say i've been outside and gone for a walk" okay dan :thumb:
lmao I, too, often take the plane just to go for a walk :roll:

No Daniel, it would not (jk but I'm not the biggest sims fan).

Video was cute, but Yasuhati isn't really my fave, I cringe to their singing more than anything else tbh.
dancy
procrastinator

Their Yasahuti videos are some of my favorite gaming videos of theirs, so I'm so happy they did this! Loved the Baby, It's Cold Outside duet and how Dan went on about Michael Buble pulling a "no homo".

And Stakhanov, I can see where you're coming from but isn't most of the stuff such as outrightly denying their relationship and saying they're not gay from around 2012, whereas acting out fan fiction and being ambiguous is from more recent years?
Ablissa
pastel persona

ams wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:01 pm "to say i've been outside and gone for a walk" okay dan :thumb:
Awww Dan... I was hoping he wouldn't brush it off like this, idk... But then again, it's very on brand.
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

dansnose wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:03 pm it wasn’t my favorite vid bc i don’t like that game but...... that baby is cold outside bit made me think of s2 klaine and :love1: :love1: :love1: (god i miss glee/ klaine lol)

((also, complaining about michael buble's santa baby cover is gay culture and phil's undying dedication to "all i want for christmas is you" continues to endear him to me even further))
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I thought it was very funny. :lol: I also loved their little duet.

I'm really sad that gamingmas is almost over since I've been really enjoying it (especially after the first few days).
sunshinias
spork

This video :valentine: :hearts:

Also, did anyone else feel like the reason Dan did so poorly in the first song was because he was actually testing to make it sound nice?
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
quercussp
living flop

i can't believe gamingmas is almost over. it has been so great (other then the first couple of videos) and the last one is probably going to be a sims according to dan's twitter. my dreams of them playing dream daddy are dead:(

but i am so grateful they did the whole 24 videos in a row AND it's almost pinof blooper time so still a lot to look forward to.
autumnhearth
senpai

Well that tweet is a bit of a mood killer.

I was really glad they played Yatsuhashi again. Too bad it got so much harder. I would have liked to have seen Phil attempt Mariah, though Phil’s primary school donkey song was funny. Dragging Michael Buble for no homoing was good, though buddy and pally was funny. Phil asking Dan “is he your snowflake daddy?” and his accompanying face was great. And of course the duet. :festivedeppy:

I followed the last conversation, but didn’t really feel like chiming in. @Elemancy put things beautifully re why Dan spending part of the holidays with the Lesters *feels* poignant for many of us.

Tomorrow will definitely be the Sims, I was thinking that earlier today. “Saving the best for last” just means the series D&P keep saying is “the only content anyone cares about” (not true of course, we care about Golf too). No Truthbombs with Moondog... Cornmoon? (I forget their smushname.) At least not for us to see. I’m sure they’ve played it.
Also :sparkle: @sparkle I missed you and your :tinfoil:
nephilimcat
woodland creature

I'm sorry in case this is repetitive but I've not been able to read every single post because I'm busy (ugh) and it's Christmas time (yay).

What I did notice and find interesting is that it's often the more outlandish explanations that are compared to people's own experiences (I'm guilty of that too btw). I think it's important not to forget that there are a lot of things that Dan and Phil do/did or say/said that would be seen as a sign of them being a couple by the general public. At least if they were a man and a woman because heteronormativity, but their gender is not important for this argument. There are also enough things the general public would see as a sign of friendship. Of course that doesn't mean it is that way because not everyone is the same but I think it's much more telling than someone's own special experience. Unless it's the unique situation of Dan and Phil because that should definitely be taken into consideration as well because as I said, just because something is common doesn't mean everyone does things that way. So what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't use our personal situations but the logical explanation compared to Dan and Phil's situation to form our opinion on things. Which is easier said than done because our own personal situation will always influence our way of thinking.

I would argue that that being said it makes much more sense to view them as a couple than not. But that's just my opinion, so I understand that for some of you this is not the case. Unless you don't want them to be a couple because they're two men, then you can go fuck yourself :roll:
pulvis et umbra sumus
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

Ablissa wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:09 pm
Awww Dan... I was hoping he wouldn't brush it off like this, idk... But then again, it's very on brand.
Whoa whoah WhOaAhH. Pause. Rewind. Okay so I'm probably reaching for this,or not considering it's Dan but I know what I automatically thought of.
Okay - where have we heard something about 'editing' before hmm? Idk about some 'sweet editing tips'?
Riiigght. So Dan's just gone back to the 'pad' 'doing dot dot dot some editing'.
Mhmm, right. Thanks Dan for that lovely bit of tmi. Yes we get it - you are a healthy adult man :roll: 8-) :lol:
Sorry, I'll just take myself out :garbage:

Also just editing to say that I realize he is probably talking about pinof bloopers, but when I first read that tweet that is Not what I thought he was referring to and I know I had to read it several times over to understand that meaning. But my mind is unusually in the gutter so that's s just how it came across :oops:
Last edited by SHITiveHITtheFANdom on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lmao dan sweetie honey no one believes you only went for a day and no one believes you flew somewhere to go for a walk but it's cool you keep your private lester family time private and we're all good :love2: :love2:

That video was cute, hard to watch because I'm in public so I had my finger on the volume button the whole time. The duet was great though, and I can't wait to watch the whole thing again when I'm trying to not attract stares.
autumnhearth
senpai

@SHITiveHITtheFANdom That did come to mind... (well not quite your interpretation of it) but I think the editing he is talking about is the pinof bloopers. Please Danta, I’ve been good this year :gift: :whiskers: :santa:
Ablissa
pastel persona

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:37 pm Well that tweet is a bit of a mood killer.
I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that way. My pink little balloon of happiness deflated a little.
SHITiveHITtheFANdom wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:42 pm Whoa whoah WhOaAhH. Pause. Rewind. Okay so I'm probably reaching for this,or not considering it's Dan but I know what I automatically thought of.
Okay - where have we heard something about 'editing' before hmm? Idk about some 'sweet editing tips'?
Riiigght. So Dan's just gone back to the 'pad' 'doing dot dot dot some editing'.
Mhmm, right. Thanks Dan for that lovely bit of tmi. Yes we get it - you are a healthy adult man :roll: 8-) :lol:
Sorry, I'll just take myself out :garbage:
Oh my gosh, I like your interpretation of this so much better :lol: But I think he may mean editing pinof bloopers ;)
Amiaw
interactive introvert

And all that tweet made me think of was his tweet when in Florida about how we don’t need to know everything.

He didn’t really take a step back - still acknowledged he went, didn’t use his go-to “went to a friends” explanation- just gave some vague info and that’s okay