Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Secretstanner
truth bomb

freedom to obey wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:11 pm I especially loved Dan's tip duel comment: And that was the... :mrgreen: lamest :mrgreen: reaction...

This is completely random, but does anybody happen to know from which of the older videos is the scene where they're whispering in each other's ears. Dan is pretty stoic about it, while Phil jumps away, makes a grimace any says "I don't like it"?
I think I thinkkkk... it is possibly sims dils first kiss. Video 16. If anyone else can confirm this. I don’t have time to check it out but my memory could be wrong. But I do know it’s one of the earlier sims videos
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

liola
rankussy

Poor Colin he just wanted some cake ;_;

Also Dan said in the replies it's a vegan cake, I'm assuming he went back on track again?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
DatCog
blobfish

SquishPhan wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:02 pm
Naughty Colin, that cake looked so good before it was nibbled!! I presume this actually happened yesterday.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

liola wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 pm Poor Colin he just wanted some cake ;_;

Also Dan said in the replies it's a vegan cake, I'm assuming he went back on track again?
Isn't his brother vegan? In which case it makes sense to go with the most restrictive diet.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
liola
rankussy

lilabet wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:07 pm
liola wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 pm Poor Colin he just wanted some cake ;_;

Isn't his brother vegan? In which case it makes sense to go with the most restrictive diet.
Oh, I didn't think of that actually! I tend to ignore what knowledge of Dan's family I have because it keeps getting confused with fanfiction facts lol but yes that totally makes sense and vegan cakes are delicious anyway (says the very badly dairy intolerant person who can only eat vegan sweets)

LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Is his grandpa playing Mario Kart with him :love1: ? I don't have grandparents anymore, so it seems very odd but super lovely to me.
liola wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:05 pm Also Dan said in the replies it's a vegan cake, I'm assuming he went back on track again?
I am a filthy carnivore, so can someone please explain to me why it's always about "all or nothing" with being a vegetarian or vegan? Why is Dan "back on track" - can't he just have enjoyed a vegan cake because he wanted a vegan cake? Is there such a thing as being a 90% vegetarian/vegan?

(And there's a good chance the cake was vegan because of someone else, and that's not something Dan will talk about)
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

okay i'm sure the cake tasted good (coconut and raspberry SIGN ME UP plus i like vegan desserts most of the time) but the decorating is a MESS it looks like a pile of wet sand that someone threw cornflakes and gold glitter at i will never listen to dan talk about ~aesthetics~ again smh
fancybum
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 pm I am a filthy carnivore, so can someone please explain to me why it's always about "all or nothing" with being a vegetarian or vegan? Why is Dan "back on track" - can't he just have enjoyed a vegan cake because he wanted a vegan cake? Is there such a thing as being a 90% vegetarian/vegan?

(And there's a good chance the cake was vegan because of someone else, and that's not something Dan will talk about)
The ‘all or nothing’ mindset is probably because if you’re veggie at least partly for ethical reasons, then there’s no such thing as ‘partly’ vegetarian. You want to not contribute to animal suffering (vegans:all forms of it/vegetarians: just death. Suffering to produce eggs or milk etc is ok) to the best of your ability, or it’s whatever. You’re vegan/vegetarian or you’re not. People claiming to be “vegetarian” but still eat fish (for example) AREN’T VEGETARIAN, DONT SAY YOU’RE VEGETARIAN. They’re just people who don’t eat a lot of meat (and their dumbasses are the reason well-meaning but stupid people try to offer vegetarians chicken or fish, because they dilute the meaning of the word arggg sorry I have a lot of pent-up anger on the subject. Literally every time someone finds out you’re a vegetarian, the first question every time is: oh, do you eat chicken? Like? What??? Why would I eat chicken, do you understand how words work??). Anyway. That’s why. But I mean, if Dan (or anybody) just said they’re cutting down on animal products, that’s an easier goal (and won’t get the vegan police up your ass). I kind of wouldn’t mind if he discussed vegetarianism (at least!) more in 2018... But I hope he takes it easy with the ‘all or nothing’ thinking.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

fancybum wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:28 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 pm I am a filthy carnivore, so can someone please explain to me why it's always about "all or nothing" with being a vegetarian or vegan? Why is Dan "back on track" - can't he just have enjoyed a vegan cake because he wanted a vegan cake? Is there such a thing as being a 90% vegetarian/vegan?

The ‘all or nothing’ mindset is probably because if you’re veggie at least partly for ethical reasons, then there’s no such thing as ‘partly’ vegetarian. You want to not contribute to animal suffering (vegans:all forms of it/vegetarians: just death. Suffering to produce eggs or milk etc is ok) to the best of your ability, or it’s whatever. You’re vegan/vegetarian or you’re not. People claiming to be “vegetarian” but still eat fish (for example) AREN’T VEGETARIAN, DONT SAY YOU’RE VEGETARIAN. They’re just people who don’t eat a lot of meat (and their dumbasses are the reason well-meaning but stupid people try to offer vegetarians chicken or fish, because they dilute the meaning of the word arggg sorry I have a lot of pent-up anger on the subject. Literally every time someone finds out you’re a vegetarian, the first question every time is: oh, do you eat chicken? Like? What??? Why would I eat chicken, do you understand how words work??). Anyway. That’s why. But I mean, if Dan (or anybody) just said they’re cutting down on animal products, that’s an easier goal (and won’t get the vegan police up your ass). I kind of wouldn’t mind if he discussed vegetarianism (at least!) more in 2018... But I hope he takes it easy with the ‘all or nothing’ thinking.
It is very annoying what questions people ask vegetarians. This Dilbert strip has always been my favorite take on that: http://dilbert.com/strip/1994-04-02

As I said a couple of pages ago, I think Dan is a vegetarian based on what we've seen him eat over the past year and a half (at least)--unless you want to make marshmallows the litmus test for vegetarians (which would possibly be an example of "all or nothing" thinking). I personally, as a long-time vegetarian, find it odd to call not eating meat or readily-identifiable meat products simply "cutting down". A lot of people I know who consider themselves vegetarian would be content to call that being vegetarian.

What is interesting to me about those pictures is that Dan doesn't appear to be in any of them. My first thought was that maybe he wasn't actually there, but his Twitter replies suggest that he indeed was.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
liola
rankussy

LeftHandedism wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:58 pm
What is interesting to me about those pictures is that Dan doesn't appear to be in any of them. My first thought was that maybe he wasn't actually there, but his Twitter replies suggest that he indeed was.
I was talking about that. Not only that, he mentioned Colin being bad in a tweet like two days ago, but the way he voiced the tweet now makes it sound like it just happened. And eveyrone has asked for a selfie of Colin AND Dan, which he didn't provide. I guess it could mean anything :shrug: or it could mean he's still enjoying Christmas with the Lesters and maybe they'll go over Dan's family for NYE

Wylis
tol bean

As I said a couple of pages ago, I think Dan is a vegetarian based on what we've seen him eat over the past year and a half (at least)--unless you want to make marshmallows the litmus test for vegetarians (which would possibly be an example of "all or nothing" thinking). I personally, as a long-time vegetarian, find it odd to call not eating meat or readily-identifiable meat products simply "cutting down". A lot of people I know who consider themselves vegetarian would be content to call that being vegetarian.
Unfortunately (or not), I'm pretty sure Dan is the one who ordered grilled duck donburi from wagamama when Louise was visiting them a few months ago (1:45):

Amiaw
interactive introvert

I also had some doubts because they aren’t in the picture together but Im willing to give Dan the benefit of the doubt and believe that he wouldn’t put so much work into this story just to keep his whereabouts secret. (And if part of me is still slightly disbelieving I’ll believe him just because he spent so much time on his tale)
fancybum
senpai

It is very annoying what questions people ask vegetarians. This Dilbert strip has always been my favorite take on that: http://dilbert.com/strip/1994-04-02

Ok firstly, lol at that comic. That is painfully reminiscent of too many conversations over the years. And not to take this too far into a weird place, but I’ve found people who eat meat to (in person) be more weird and aggressive about food than any veg*n I’ve ever met. Like, several people (actually, all dudes for some reason) have actually waved meat in my face “jokingly” to try to get me to see what I’m missing, or like, assert how superior their personal food choices are in response to literally nothing more than the words “I don’t eat meat”. It’s always super weird and honestly has made me avoid food related things involving strangers/acquaintances so I don’t have to deal with it. But that has nothing to do with anything.

Sorry, I’m running on little sleep so my writing is atrocious, but I meant that “cutting down” comment to be about those people who for whatever reason only eat fish/chicken (or whatever) but would otherwise be vegetarian. If they literally don’t eat any meat, then they can definitely call themselves vegetarian lol. And for Dan, maybe he’s been cutting down, but not necessarily ready to be full on vegetarian/vegan. Do you think Phil seriously expected Dan to eat the crickets in that chopstick video if he had lost? Because Dan definitely didn’t seem like he would have even if he did lose, but I found Phil even suggesting it to him at all (as a surprise even) to be a mark against Dan being vegetarian. If somebody I lived with suggested I eat crickets, like literally offering me a bag while laughing, knowing full well I’m vegetarian, I’d be.. unimpressed (probably even offended) to say the least.

(Then again, Dan seemed pretty unimpressed, so maybe Phil is just that clueless lmao)
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Wylis wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:13 pm
Unfortunately (or not), I'm pretty sure Dan is the one who ordered grilled duck donburi from wagamama when Louise was visiting them a few months ago (1:45):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEypJ02B594
Thanks for the data point! I'm not sure it's clear that the duck dish was ordered or eaten by Dan? He knew what it was, certainly, but we don't seen anyone eating any of the food. Did he say elsewhere that he ate that?
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
nigel ratburn

fancybum wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:31 pm

Ok firstly, lol at that comic. That is painfully reminiscent of too many conversations over the years. And not to take this too far into a weird place, but I’ve found people who eat meat to (in person) be more weird and aggressive about food than any veg*n I’ve ever met. Like, several people (actually, all dudes for some reason) have actually waved meat in my face “jokingly” to try to get me to see what I’m missing, or like, assert how superior their personal food choices are in response to literally nothing more than the words “I don’t eat meat”. It’s always super weird and honestly has made me avoid food related things involving strangers/acquaintances so I don’t have to deal with it. But that has nothing to do with anything.
(this is getting off-topic at this point so putting vegetarianism discussion under the spoiler)
YES THIS IS SO TRUE. my mom and sister are vegan and they are so much less aggressive than the people who feel the need to justify their meat-eating when faced with the existence of a vegan. i'm only a pescetarian (sidenote: i try to not call myself a vegetarian bc of the reasons you've said and because. like. i eat fish, and that's meat. but a lot of times people have no clue what that means and i have to explain it to them with "a vegetarian but i still eat fish" so that might be why that happens? idk) and i still get people (pretty much always men) constantly telling me how GREAT bacon is or trying to entice me with meat. it's bizarre and i hate hyper-masculine meat culture.
my guess would be that dan is trying to limit his intake of animal products, particularly meat, but isn't drawing a firm line and is wary of announcing it publicly so that he still has some wiggle room (e.g., eating marshmallows, having meat once in a while if it's a dish he really likes, etc.) i think that's a good way to go if he's discovered that jumping into veganism didn't work for him, and he still cares about the issues surrounding it-- i imagine it's far less pressure for him, and i'd rather he feel good about the choices he does make than feel awful about the mistakes he makes when adhering to the restrictions of a specific diet.
Wylis
tol bean

LeftHandedism wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:34 pm
Wylis wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEypJ02B594
Thanks for the data point! I'm not sure it's clear that the duck dish was ordered or eaten by Dan? He knew what it was, certainly, but we don't seen anyone eating any of the food. Did he say elsewhere that he ate that?
You're right, we don't know for sure if it was for him but given that Louise and Phil didn't knew what it was I just assumed that Dan ordered it.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/i/moments/945764617913094147[/Twitter]

Okay I don’t know why but this link isn’t formatting correctly?

I don’t know if this shows up for everyone in the UK but twitter created a moment for Dans Colin tweets :rofl:

It’s already on 880 likes.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
sparkle
blobfish

fancybum wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:28 pm People claiming to be “vegetarian” but still eat fish (for example) AREN’T VEGETARIAN, DONT SAY YOU’RE VEGETARIAN. They’re just people who don’t eat a lot of meat (and their dumbasses are the reason well-meaning but stupid people try to offer vegetarians chicken or fish, because they dilute the meaning of the word arggg sorry I have a lot of pent-up anger on the subject. Literally every time someone finds out you’re a vegetarian, the first question every time is: oh, do you eat chicken? Like? What??? Why would I eat chicken, do you understand how words work??).
#Relatable :stan:
My girlfriends mum is like that, she's 'vegetarian' except she still eats poultry and fish. It drives me crackers :lol: (I love her a lot, its just one thing that amuses me). And going to Fuerteventura where the 'vegetarian' option was commonly tuna, that well known vegetable the tuna, was so annoying :facepalm2:

I loved the Colin tweet omg. It reminded me of a story where my parents old dog destroyed the living room eating all the chocolates on the Christmas tree, and hid from my mum for 2 hours because she shouted at him.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
fancybum
senpai

nigel ratburn wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:03 pm
(this is getting off-topic at this point so putting vegetarianism discussion under the spoiler)
YES THIS IS SO TRUE. my mom and sister are vegan and they are so much less aggressive than the people who feel the need to justify their meat-eating when faced with the existence of a vegan. i'm only a pescetarian (sidenote: i try to not call myself a vegetarian bc of the reasons you've said and because. like. i eat fish, and that's meat. but a lot of times people have no clue what that means and i have to explain it to them with "a vegetarian but i still eat fish" so that might be why that happens? idk) and i still get people (pretty much always men) constantly telling me how GREAT bacon is or trying to entice me with meat. it's bizarre and i hate hyper-masculine meat culture.
my guess would be that dan is trying to limit his intake of animal products, particularly meat, but isn't drawing a firm line and is wary of announcing it publicly so that he still has some wiggle room (e.g., eating marshmallows, having meat once in a while if it's a dish he really likes, etc.) i think that's a good way to go if he's discovered that jumping into veganism didn't work for him, and he still cares about the issues surrounding it-- i imagine it's far less pressure for him, and i'd rather he feel good about the choices he does make than feel awful about the mistakes he makes when adhering to the restrictions of a specific diet.
That might be part of it, people just clinging to the words they’re more familiar with and only remembering that later (‘vegetarian/fish’ = ‘vegetarians eat fish’) and blacking out the ones they’re not (‘pescetarian’), but that’s not your fault since you’re using the correct word. And ‘hyper masculine meat culture’ sounds like the title of a film I never want to see :lol: (but yes it is very much the worst, sigh)
THIS!! (re: bolded)!! That’s why, if anything, I’m rooting for vegetarian!Dan - not demanding it before anyone comes in with ‘let him do what he wants’; I want him to do what he wants. It’s just that he’s expressed interest in veganism and clearly respects it (so it’s a fair assumption it might be something he wants to do.. to some degree..), but I think if he thinks of it as veganism or nothing, it’ll be nothing. Living with somebody who isn’t vegan would make it more difficult to stick to (especially somebody constantly filled with gummies and marshmallows, oh Phil), so vegetarianism is the safer bet, at least to start. But I do fully understand him not wanting to talk about it (if he’s doing it) because it would draw in all the crazies from all sides (defensive meat eaters to vegan police all looking for him to fuck up somewhere- kind of like the marshmallow discussion but way bigger). So either way.. :shrug: but also :stan: :salad:
sparkle wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:12 pm
#Relatable :stan:
My girlfriends mum is like that, she's 'vegetarian' except she still eats poultry and fish. It drives me crackers :lol: (I love her a lot, its just one thing that amuses me). And going to Fuerteventura where the 'vegetarian' option was commonly tuna, that well known vegetable the tuna, was so annoying :facepalm2:
There’s nothing better than taking a stroll through those abundant tuna fields, I love picking tuna fresh from the stalk on a warm summer day :loveeyes:
Last edited by fancybum on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I think it's most likely that Dan is genuinely at the Howells, as that seems like less of a reach than Dan being sent those pictures to post and make it seem like he was really there, especially given that he mentioned the situation two days in a row. I'm glad we got a Colin update, what an icon. My dog ate my loaf of banana bread a few months ago and I was so devastated I cried so, relatable content.

Also all this vegetarian talk is so real omg. There's a guy at work that constantly teases those of us who are vegan/vegetarian, and makes out like we're all weak/wussy for not eating meat even though none of us make a big deal out of the fact that we don't eat meat, nor do we make him feel bad about eating meat. V annoying.

Although I will say that having been vegetarian for 12 years now I'm actually much more lenient than I once was. Even if Dan just wants to make an effort to cut down on meat a bit without cutting it out completely, I think that's great! It can be really difficult to completely eliminate meat/animal products from your diet, and even though I was a stubborn, Lisa-Simpson-esque 9 year old and managed to do it, I don't actually know if I'd find it that easy to do if I was starting from scratch now. I just really appreciate any effort at all to make a difference, and depending on your circumstances it can be really difficult to just immediately cut out all animal products, so I'd totally be down for Dan (or anyone tbh) even just trying to make an effort to eat less meat. Basically, what fancybum just said!
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I mean, I really doubt Dan would go to the trouble of faking the Colin photos just to try to prove he's with his family. It just seems a little overkill to me.

Honestly, I'm all for Dan trying to be vegetarian again, I'm just not totally sure he is, since I feel like I've heard him talking about eating meat recently? Maybe I'm just misremembering.
relatablemood

Oops, just deleting what I wrote as I thought it best not to get into it. But for the sake of not hiccuping the thread,
I just skimmed over how pescetarian isn't that convenient for people who are vegans but eat fish for dietary needs (as the assumption with pescetarians is that they're basically fish-eating vegetarians, as opposed to maybe being fish eating vegans). And that it shouldn't be assumed Dan hasn't done his research on veganism/vegetarianism and that he doesn't know you can be lenient with it, either. I'm sure Dan is just going without labels now (like his sexuality and other things)
and can eat chicken tikka some nights and Linda McCartney sausages other nights, but maybe he could be vegan or vegetarian in the future. My opinion is that since he's tried it and hasn't gone back to that label since, he simply doesn't want to be a vegan right now, but that's just me.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
fancybum
senpai

relatablemood wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:44 am
Oops, just deleting what I wrote as I thought it best not to get into it. But for the sake of not hiccuping the thread,
I just skimmed over how pescetarian isn't that convenient for people who are vegans but eat fish for dietary needs (as the assumption with pescetarians is that they're basically fish-eating vegetarians, as opposed to maybe being fish eating vegans). And that it shouldn't be assumed Dan hasn't done his research on veganism/vegetarianism and that he doesn't know you can be lenient with it, either. I'm sure Dan is just going without labels now (like his sexuality and other things)
and can eat chicken tikka some nights and Linda McCartney sausages other nights, but maybe he could be vegan or vegetarian in the future. My opinion is that since he's tried it and hasn't gone back to that label since, he simply doesn't want to be a vegan right now, but that's just me.
Lolwut it’s not about judgementalness? If somebody eats fish for dietary reasons because they need to (or want to), then good for them. But they’re by definition not vegan or vegetarian. That’s all there is to it, there’s no moral judgement in that statement. If someone wants to follow a vegan diet 5 days a week and eat chicken wings and bone marrow on the weekends, cool, but they’re not vegan. I fully support not using labels if you just want to do whatever because yeah, who cares, but the issue discussed earlier is people using labels when they don’t apply, resulting in wider misunderstanding of terms, resulting in chicken in my vegetarian salad. If somebody wants to check off ‘vegetarian’ when choosing a meal on a plane, go right ahead, but eating a vegetarian meal occasionally (or even 8 times out of 10) doesn’t make you a vegetarian. That’s not a judgement, that’s a simple fact.

So turns out I read your original post and later hit reply and just noticed you changed it but whatever I’m leaving this.

Nobody thinks Dan doesn’t understand what veganism is, I’m just saying he’s expressed discomfort with expressing opinions (he literally made a video on it so) and being judged for imperfection in his thoughts on things and because of that could be reluctant to either commit to full veganism (because people would be pointing out how he’s failing in some aspects) or just reluctant to talk about it in general for similar reasons if he has already made steps in that general vegetable-based direction (which LeftHandedism has made a good case for). People are literally just discussing hypotheticals and likelihoods, nobody is forcing anything or judging so I don’t know why Dan needs defending here.
nerdysporks
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her or they/them

fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:17 am Lolwut it’s not about judgementalness? If somebody eats fish for dietary reasons because they need to (or want to), then good for them. But they’re by definition not vegan or vegetarian. That’s all there is to it, there’s no moral judgement in that statement. If someone wants to follow a vegan diet 5 days a week and eat chicken wings and bone marrow on the weekends, cool, but they’re not vegan. I fully support not using labels if you just want to do whatever because yeah, who cares, but the issue discussed earlier is people using labels when they don’t apply,
hey! I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm personally a very strict vegetarian and I wont usually eat marshmallows, etc. But I do understand where people who eat mostly vegetarian say they're vegetarian because it's easier for people to understand than their dietary restriction. For example, I have a friend who is halal but most people don't really get that so if she's at a restaurant she'll say she's vegetarian when she's ordering and ask if there's any meat in the dishes.