Discussion of Fics We're Currently Loving

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: she/her

Templeofshame wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm
mermaid blood wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm
(re: A Match and a Fuse)

i have, and have unfortunately had to stop reading it. i think it will be amazing to come back to in the future, just not right now. my guess is it may be particularly triggering because of how the author deals with the depiction (eg. it's centered around Phil and the two character's interaction, which a lot of people reading don't have when dealing with their own depressive episodes - and can be a common idealisation fantasy). i find the use of the word 'recovery' a little triggering too as clinical depression (at least the long-term type described in the character) is a lifetime affliction.
I came here to be just ABANDONED HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a bit but I just wanted to also say:
I don't know how far you got in the fic, but amaaf is extremely clear about the fact that Dan's depression will "always sometimes" be a big scary thing in his life, and that it's not glamorous or artsy, and that Phil doesn't always know how to help and sometimes can't do anything (and much of the worst he's not around for), but he tries because he cares about Dan. Obviously anyone's reaction to it is theirs and if it's triggering for you, that's valid and a good reason to wait to read or to stop. But some of these concerns are directly addressed in the fic and it avoids these pitfalls that people (understandably) fear when reading takes on mental health in fic, so as a caught-up reader it feels like you're selling it short.
i agree they're all addressed in the fic, both significant days and the routines in between i saw phil being involved and dan was not depicted as handling them successfully on his own. that is what i was reacting to as someone depressed who doesn't have someone in their life doing that (and never has). i think triggers are a little misunderstood; it isn't synonymous with something being written poorly, or insensitively. in fact, very positive things can trigger you when you are suffering from a mental illness. i hope that makes sense, i'm probably not explaining it well.

i got up to them arriving at phil's parents place so i got pretty far along, although obviously something drastic could've happened in the plot since then that i've missed.

this isn't constructive criticism, it's just my gut reaction - and i know that the vast majority of readers are having a fantastic experience reading it. it's really, really nice seeing that. i miss past fandoms i've been in where an almost unanimously loved WIP brings disparate people together. it's beautiful!
art in avatar by lily
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

mermaid blood wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 am
Templeofshame wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm
mermaid blood wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm
(re: A Match and a Fuse)

i have, and have unfortunately had to stop reading it. i think it will be amazing to come back to in the future, just not right now. my guess is it may be particularly triggering because of how the author deals with the depiction (eg. it's centered around Phil and the two character's interaction, which a lot of people reading don't have when dealing with their own depressive episodes - and can be a common idealisation fantasy). i find the use of the word 'recovery' a little triggering too as clinical depression (at least the long-term type described in the character) is a lifetime affliction.
I came here to be just ABANDONED HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a bit but I just wanted to also say:
I don't know how far you got in the fic, but amaaf is extremely clear about the fact that Dan's depression will "always sometimes" be a big scary thing in his life, and that it's not glamorous or artsy, and that Phil doesn't always know how to help and sometimes can't do anything (and much of the worst he's not around for), but he tries because he cares about Dan. Obviously anyone's reaction to it is theirs and if it's triggering for you, that's valid and a good reason to wait to read or to stop. But some of these concerns are directly addressed in the fic and it avoids these pitfalls that people (understandably) fear when reading takes on mental health in fic, so as a caught-up reader it feels like you're selling it short.
i agree they're all addressed in the fic, both significant days and the routines in between i saw phil being involved and dan was not depicted as handling them successfully on his own. that is what i was reacting to as someone depressed who doesn't have someone in their life doing that (and never has). i think triggers are a little misunderstood; it isn't synonymous with something being written poorly, or insensitively. in fact, very positive things can trigger you when you are suffering from a mental illness. i hope that makes sense, i'm probably not explaining it well.

i got up to them arriving at phil's parents place so i got pretty far along, although obviously something drastic could've happened in the plot since then that i've missed.

this isn't constructive criticism, it's just my gut reaction - and i know that the vast majority of readers are having a fantastic experience reading it. it's really, really nice seeing that. i miss past fandoms i've been in where an almost unanimously loved WIP brings disparate people together. it's beautiful!
:love2: That is valid feeling and I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. No fic is worth your mental state. :love2:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Ohgodohgodohgodohgod

edit: @amaaf
DatCog
blobfish

somethingsketchy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 pm Ohgodohgodohgodohgod

edit: @amaaf
Errr yes, same! FFS Monday feels like forever away!!

Got to mention that there's a new chapter of 'L'histoire Française' today too which I enjoyed immensely. The sexual tension between Dan and Phil is incredible but I especially love Teddy and Tyler...they are hilarious and I wish they were my friends!
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

DatCog wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 pm Got to mention that there's a new chapter of 'L'histoire Française' today too which I enjoyed immensely. The sexual tension between Dan and Phil is incredible but I especially love Teddy and Tyler...they are hilarious and I wish they were my friends!
I'm so glad you brought this fic up because I was going to do it, but then my brain short-circuited because of amaaf. L'histoire Française is such an enjoyable fic. I think it's technically supposed to be angst but it doesn't really give me any angst feelings. I definitely agree with you, on Tyler and Teddy; they are some of the best elements of the fic in my opinion!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Are my kids gonna be late to school because I read AMAAF instead of waking them up? Probably

I am excited for them to talk about their feelings! I am also gonna enjoy this weekend. Maybe re-read the whole fic, enjoy the build before we tip over the edge. Everything is gonna change and I want but also I'm not ready haha
DatCog
blobfish

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm Are my kids gonna be late to school because I read AMAAF instead of waking them up? Probably

I am excited for them to talk about their feelings! I am also gonna enjoy this weekend. Maybe re-read the whole fic, enjoy the build before we tip over the edge. Everything is gonna change and I want but also I'm not ready haha
i can totally relate to this, it feels like the tipping point has been reached and things will be different from now on. I've enjoyed the process of getting to this point, it's been exquisitely torturous and I kinda don't want it to ever end. However, I have every faith in Wavey that she'll write these upcoming chapters beautifully and there's still so much to look forward to. Ahhhhh I love this fic so much, when it eventually ends, I will be bereft!
sparkle
blobfish

I WANT TO SET MYSELF ON FIRE OH MY GOD :stan:
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
kavat
pastel persona

I can't really form words about amaaf right now. Why does wavey love to torture us like this?!?
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

sparkle wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:48 pm I WANT TO SET MYSELF ON FIRE OH MY GOD :stan:
god this is such a mood :lol:

also i really do not recommend reading amaaf on public transit because it's far too captivating to be able to restrain any emotions
sonicgreen
woodland creature

How dARE we be left on a cliff hanger for tHREE DAYS? Wow such a great chapter, and that lead up to the end was so well written and poetic I could fEel it. I loved that Phil finally had that chat with Martyn, I can truly relate to the idea of having to come out but not having a label for what you’re coming out as?? it hit so close to home. ty Ashley (wavey) for the incredible story I can’t wait to see how it develops.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

:cry: New DTU - my heart! :cry:
Maybe unpopular opinion but I think I prefer DTU to amaaf (of course both are amazing and I drop everything to read new chapters, to the extent of hiding in the toilets at work)

Maybe it’s because I relate more to DTU? The author does such a great job of making it feel real, everyone is a balanced, nuanced character and its one of the only fics I’ve come across where I don’t want dnp to get together immediately. They need to work for their happy ending!
manicpixiedreamgirl
smol bean

omg disturb the universe is killing me. When I started reading it I didn't know why everyone loved it soooo much because it was just a lot of pining and didn't seem to be going anywhere interesting... but then.... the chapter where they kiss. I was like oh my god and read that rest of what's up in one sitting because it just moved so fast. The broken picture frame and the smashed mugs and roger being an angel but then all his angst and phil and his ships and june and all the complicated emotions. ahhhhhhh. its been literally two minutes since I finiched the most recent chapter and I'm already dying wiating for the next
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

i caved and read dtu all the way through and aaaa i agree with you guys, it's killing me. i really loved teddy's response to the news, even though it hurts that he's mad at dan (who did nearly nothing wrong, omg phil why are you so terrible). teddy was written really realistically here. i wish we'd seen a bit more of rosie's reaction, it seems like she's either too young to really get it or it hasn't quite sunk in, she was pretty quiet about it.
realeyesrealize
living flop

:happytears: :wahh: :sobs: :happytears: :wahh: :sobs: (repeat x100)

Edit from the afterlife: Dan's "I thought you didn't date" fucked me up big time. They need to have that conversation asap.
There's no way I can possibly wait until Wednesday. Someone needs to change every clock in the world to Wednesday 10am EST and do it NOW.
DatCog
blobfish

Gosh that last amaaf chapter was the very definition of an emotional rollercoaster! :happytears:
THEY FINALLY KISSED AND IT WAS WONDERFUL...obviously the bit afterwards where Phil felt overwhelmed wasn't so happy but the actually kiss was lovely. I really love the chatting via the notes app and how sensible and encouraging Cornelia is to Phil! I hope they don't just fall asleep now and we get the much needed heart-to-heart talk at the start of the next chapter.
phillyforgot
butt chair

I'm incapable of describing it in words, but I'll just say I enjoyed the latest amaaf chapter :love1: :respekt2:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I was trying to hold out until amaaf was complete before starting it as I struggle with wips but I gave in a few days ago and started, and omg it's definitely one of the best things I've ever read ever, fic or otherwise. I got up to date last night so this morning's update (I'm in an Australian timezone) was my first live update, and I held out until 10.30pm to read it because I didn't want the chapter to be over. I don't know how I'm going to manage waiting until Thursday my time for the update oh my gooooood, I can not wait for them to have the talk that Phil's been putting off.

I totally agree with whoever it was that said one of the best things about this fic is that each chapter advances the plot in some way and serves its own individual purpose. There's really nothing that feels like pure filler, and Sarah does such a great job of ensuring that plot lines are consistent and thorough. I actually really appreciated that their kiss wasn't perfect as it felt true to the exploration of Phil's sexuality that Sarah set out to write from the beginning, and his complex/traumatising relationship with sex/intimacy.

I love that both Dan and Phil in this fic have a level of vulnerability to them - it's like mutual hurt/comfort in a way, where each one is dealing with their own "hurt" and each one acts as a "comforter" for the other, if that makes sense? Sarah handles it all with care and sensitivity, and it makes for such a gripping and poignant read. I'm so excited for the next chapter!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Oh mannn I'm such a sucker for good communication that today's amaaf update gave me everything I needed at this point in the story and still kept me on the edge of my seat needing more :,)
DatCog
blobfish

:happytears: That amaaf chapter was perfect, I'm going to need a bit of time to collect my thoughts as I'm just a puddle of slush on the ground right now!
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

Ughhhh why did I choose now to finally read Disturb the Universe? :faint: It feels like the modern midsummer night's dream au I didn't ask for but totally need. Like, I have a solid idea how this is going to end but I have. no. idea. how it's going to get there especially with how royally Phil has f'ed up, grr.
It's so good but that last chapter has absolutely killed me! Great great now I'm stuck waiting for two amazing wips, it's fine, I'm fine! *insert Ross with margaritas here*
waves
smol bean
Pronouns: her / she

the most recent amaaf update :love1:
I smiled literally the whole way through it, my favourite chapter by far! I also got into uni today so such a beautiful chapter was the cherry on top of the cake :ribena:
sonicgreen
woodland creature

waves wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 pm the most recent amaaf update :love1:
I smiled literally the whole way through it, my favourite chapter by far! I also got into uni today so such a beautiful chapter was the cherry on top of the cake :ribena:
Congratulations on getting into uni! I got into my first choice last month so I can relate to your excitement! :cakescene: :thumbsup:
amaaf was just what i needed today, I agree with @obsessivelymoody good communication is all I crave in any fic. Yes please, give me those good open emotional chats.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

anyone else about to catch up on today's amaaf update, only to find out ao3 is down? just me? please come join my pity party (seriously though, what bad timing)

Edit: my status as 'sad dimple' is very fitting right now
greenergrass
stress mushroom

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:25 am anyone else about to catch up on today's amaaf update, only to find out ao3 is down? just me? please come join my pity party (seriously though, what bad timing)

Edit: my status as 'sad dimple' is very fitting right now
In case anyone is still having a problem with ao3 - I was looking at the replies on the ao3 twitter, and someone said if you delete the 's' from 'https', it will work, and it does!