Discussion of Fics We're Currently Loving

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

liola wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:04 pm Okay i'm avoiding spoilers like crazy but everyone and their mothers is raving about AMAAF and I've basically stubbornly not started reading it because i'm always scared i will end up hating what's being hyped and tbh I try to stay away from fics about asexuality spectrum because it's usually written really badly but it seems like this isn't the case...

Basically I'm reaching a stress point where I need some good writing to look forward and everyone says amaaf will be it but it's also super long and slow burn so like... can someone convince me to give it a go? Is it gonna ruin my life? I have my last university exam ever in two weeks and a full time job what should I do, is it worth it?
mmmmmmmmmmmmm yes do it. Pick a day where you don't need to do anything else and just gobble it up.
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:59 pm
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:56 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 pm :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

I speak to you from the grave after this latest amaaf update.
I didn't want to post because I felt like i couldn't NOT spoil it. I'm just in aw. amazing
I feel like the nature of this thread is gonna mean that there will be spoilers - it'll be hard to discuss current fics without talking in detail about updates!

And in the vein of that - oh my god if Phil wanking to thoughts of Dan was that hot, then the actual sex scenes are gonna literally kill me.
I felt like I should wait at least more than .005 seconds after I finished to post lol
fondsmiles
phabergé

liola wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:04 pm Okay i'm avoiding spoilers like crazy but everyone and their mothers is raving about AMAAF and I've basically stubbornly not started reading it because i'm always scared i will end up hating what's being hyped and tbh I try to stay away from fics about asexuality spectrum because it's usually written really badly but it seems like this isn't the case...

Basically I'm reaching a stress point where I need some good writing to look forward and everyone says amaaf will be it but it's also super long and slow burn so like... can someone convince me to give it a go? Is it gonna ruin my life? I have my last university exam ever in two weeks and a full time job what should I do, is it worth it?
it's worth it.

also, the update, DAMN. I fucking hate waveydnp. She's the worst. I don't want her to make me feel like this.
(I do. I very much do.)

there's spoilers ahead, beware

I had kind of expected for this chapter to be some gentle, not too-far exploration of each other, but that it is "only" Phil wanking to the thought of Dan makes it so much better. It fits the story much more perfectly. This is like the first time ever he's really enjoyed masturbation, and has also done it while thinking like this about another human, and that's .... big. It's so good that he's on his own to experience this.
I love that Sarah hinted that it's gonna be a while until Dan and Phil are sexual together, and I love that too.

It kills me that she keeps surprising me even though I kind of exactly know where all of this is going.
(I am also on team not-knowing-the-upload-schedule btw. easy to do as a student who has no concept of the days in the week. also incredibly wonderful because it makes me squeal in delight at the surprise of an update e-mail.)
[x]
[x]
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

i think i started reading it around chapter 20 or so, and this might just be me because i'm a fast reader, but i caught up in a night. it's a really addicting read. and this update was no exception oh my GOD in regards to asexuality, i've honestly never read a fic about an ace character, phil or otherwise, that is so realistically and respectfully done. so, i guess i just really recommend it haha

i mean irl commitments should come first, but i really recommend giving it a go. hopefully if you do it'll help you unwind from the stress a little too! but it's honestly so so so worth it. like i wish this was a book i could physically hold and bring everywhere with me.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Re-read it. Can I scream about Dan's text? I"m so happy he is being a perfect person and being so patient and not forcing anything and AHHHHHH

god at least so far. I'm so worried that dan will do something that will make phil pull away and make this fic have a sad turn. I'm so worried i can't handle a sad thing in this fic I think i'll cry so much
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 pm Re-read it. Can I scream about Dan's text? I"m so happy he is being a perfect person and being so patient and not forcing anything and AHHHHHH

god at least so far. I'm so worried that dan will do something that will make phil pull away and make this fic have a sad turn. I'm so worried i can't handle a sad thing in this fic I think i'll cry so much
I've actually been thinking about this. I think it would be unrealistic for Dan to continue to be so perfectly in tune with Phil's progress. I expect there will be some miscommunication at some point that will upset one or both of them. And how they navigate that will help their relationship grow. I'm sure it will be as beautifully written as the rest of this fic!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

LeftHandedism wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:25 pm
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 pm Re-read it. Can I scream about Dan's text? I"m so happy he is being a perfect person and being so patient and not forcing anything and AHHHHHH

I've actually been thinking about this. I think it would be unrealistic for Dan to continue to be so perfectly in tune with Phil's progress. I expect there will be some miscommunication at some point that will upset one or both of them. And how they navigate that will help their relationship grow. I'm sure it will be as beautifully written as the rest of this fic!
i'm glad you feel this way too. I had a whole footnote attached to my happiness that i deleted bceause I was worried it was more my mental state attacking my happiness than what I actually thought would/could happen. I feel like from a story arch/story telling point of view, we need some conflict to keep it going, but also I don't want that at all. I would love it to just stay on this glorious perfect track.

((edit to add: i also fear if/when wavey slows their update schedule))
DatCog
blobfish

I've stayed away from this thread today because I was re-reading from the beginning and have only just now been able to read the update...not sure why I was a bit worried that it would seem a bit of a filler chapter after the wonderful club scenes but yet again I'm left feeling incredibly warm and fuzzy and just so happy that this story is in my life right now. I'm guessing Dan is going to go up north with Phil for Christmas and I know that this is going to be beautiful!
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

DatCog wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 pm I've stayed away from this thread today because I was re-reading from the beginning and have only just now been able to read the update...not sure why I was a bit worried that it would seem a bit of a filler chapter after the wonderful club scenes but yet again I'm left feeling incredibly warm and fuzzy and just so happy that this story is in my life right now. I'm guessing Dan is going to go up north with Phil for Christmas and I know that this is going to be beautiful!
I'm actualy really scared for that, Phil's mum... I don't know, I don't trust her, I hope that everything is going to be fine and lovely, but it kind of broke my heart the conversation between them.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

sunshinias wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:33 am
whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:25 pm 5. The OC's are great. The writer has made an effort to fully develop the OC's such as Jimmy and Rory into real, complex characters. They have their flaws just like real people do. And their relationships with the main characters (mostly Phil in this case) are great. You come to love them as much as you love deppy in this fic.
Uh, maybe you just phrased this wierdly but Jimmy's not an OC? Sponning his youtube channel because he's great: https://www.youtube.com/user/jimmy0010
Oh sorry yeah, you're right he doesn't really fit the definition of an OC. I meant more "characters who aren't the main characters i.e. deppy". I find even when writers incorporate real people into fics (e.g. crabstickz, louise, pj, etc), they still tend to keep them quite one-dimensional. So I was commenting more on the fact that the side characters are more fully developed in this fic than usual.

But hey, I created a good opportunity for you to spon his youtube channel so I guess it was a blessing. I haven't watched all his videos so I'm a very very casual fan but from what I've seen I love him.

Okay avoiding reading the rest of this thread until I read the new chapter since I'm sure there are spoilers here
DatCog
blobfish

kindofatrashcan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 pm
DatCog wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 pm I've stayed away from this thread today because I was re-reading from the beginning and have only just now been able to read the update...not sure why I was a bit worried that it would seem a bit of a filler chapter after the wonderful club scenes but yet again I'm left feeling incredibly warm and fuzzy and just so happy that this story is in my life right now. I'm guessing Dan is going to go up north with Phil for Christmas and I know that this is going to be beautiful!
I'm actualy really scared for that, Phil's mum... I don't know, I don't trust her, I hope that everything is going to be fine and lovely, but it kind of broke my heart the conversation between them.
Yes, the conversation was sad today but I hope amaaf!Kath will be really sweet and supportive once Phil is open with her about how he feels. She clearly has his best interests at heart, worrying about whether he's eating properly etc. Plus amaaf!Dan is just adorable...how could Kath not love him! I'm probably just projecting my own motherly feelings here :lol:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I'm so curious what Dan is thinking in this fic; we get Phil's perspective (which I love), but I'm left wondering what's going on in Dan's head. Phil has told him that he has never experienced sexual attraction, but Dan didn't really understand it at the time. It seems like Dan has a feeling that Phil is attracted to him, based on some of the cheeky comments and stuff; how much stock does he hold to the fact that Phil told him he never experiences attraction, and how much does he assume that isn't the case regarding him? They are both making small moves to show how they feel, but Dan is being a bit braver than Phil. Is his confidence all an act? I think it mostly is, based on his history of depression, etc. I mean, that's basically irl Dan - extremely confident and self-assured in some ways, but also has an insecure side.

Also, Dan mentioned he wasn't really supposed to date (I think that was a self-imposed rule if I remember correctly), so it's interesting to think whether he's going through as much emotional turmoil about the whole thing as Phil has been. He appears to be more outwardly flirty, but if I had to guess, he's probably second-guessing every cheeky text / flirty comment. I think they're both in the stage where they know they like the other, and they're pretty sure the other likes them, but nothing has been confirmed so they're still being careful. Who do you guys think will end up making the first big move?

I'm excited for Dan to go visit Phil's family with him. I wonder if Kath will pick up on the situation between them when she sees them in person, or if she'll still be oblivious.
Ewok
rainbow nerd

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 pm I'm so curious what Dan is thinking in this fic; we get Phil's perspective (which I love), but I'm left wondering what's going on in Dan's head. Phil has told him that he has never experienced sexual attraction, but Dan didn't really understand it at the time. It seems like Dan has a feeling that Phil is attracted to him, based on some of the cheeky comments and stuff; how much stock does he hold to the fact that Phil told him he never experiences attraction, and how much does he assume that isn't the case regarding him? They are both making small moves to show how they feel, but Dan is being a bit braver than Phil. Is his confidence all an act? I think it mostly is, based on his history of depression, etc. I mean, that's basically irl Dan - extremely confident and self-assured in some ways, but also has an insecure side.

Also, Dan mentioned he wasn't really supposed to date (I think that was a self-imposed rule if I remember correctly), so it's interesting to think whether he's going through as much emotional turmoil about the whole thing as Phil has been. He appears to be more outwardly flirty, but if I had to guess, he's probably second-guessing every cheeky text / flirty comment. I think they're both in the stage where they know they like the other, and they're pretty sure the other likes them, but nothing has been confirmed so they're still being careful. Who do you guys think will end up making the first big move?

I'm excited for Dan to go visit Phil's family with him. I wonder if Kath will pick up on the situation between them when she sees them in person, or if she'll still be oblivious.
I foresee Phil jumping in head first and doing it, although I don’t know if that would be completely out of character for amaaf!Phil. :lol: Every time I see a new update I’m torn between “god just kiss already” and “burn me harder sarah” :roll: :love2:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
readingmama
dank meme

I am also someone who doesnt normally read wip but this fic was getting too much love not to check out so I dived in and got caught up and now cant wait for the rest of the story! <3

:respekt2:
kavat
pastel persona

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 pm Also, Dan mentioned he wasn't really supposed to date (I think that was a self-imposed rule if I remember correctly), so it's interesting to think whether he's going through as much emotional turmoil about the whole thing as Phil has been. He appears to be more outwardly flirty, but if I had to guess, he's probably second-guessing every cheeky text / flirty comment. I think they're both in the stage where they know they like the other, and they're pretty sure the other likes them, but nothing has been confirmed so they're still being careful. Who do you guys think will end up making the first big move?
I think Dan understand enough about what Phil's going through not to push anything. I think the first move will come from Phil, or that it's a mutual thing where they eventually just talk about their feelings for each other. Either way I'm sure Sarah handles it painfully emotional and that it will leave me in a puddle on the floor.
DatCog
blobfish

kavat wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:34 am
whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 pm Also, Dan mentioned he wasn't really supposed to date (I think that was a self-imposed rule if I remember correctly), so it's interesting to think whether he's going through as much emotional turmoil about the whole thing as Phil has been. He appears to be more outwardly flirty, but if I had to guess, he's probably second-guessing every cheeky text / flirty comment. I think they're both in the stage where they know they like the other, and they're pretty sure the other likes them, but nothing has been confirmed so they're still being careful. Who do you guys think will end up making the first big move?
I think Dan understand enough about what Phil's going through not to push anything. I think the first move will come from Phil, or that it's a mutual thing where they eventually just talk about their feelings for each other. Either way I'm sure Sarah handles it painfully emotional and that it will leave me in a puddle on the floor.
I think this too. Phil has been acting on his instincts in a few of his responses to Dan, particularly when he's been more relaxed when under the influence of alcohol, and I think that's going to escalate slowly as he becomes more comfortable with these new feelings he's experiencing. Dan seems more in control and will take his cues from Phil's responses. However it happens, it's going to be wonderful!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Do you think someone heard Phil making noise? I hope if Jimmy did, he is sweet to Phil. But also I'm sure he will
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

amaaf is a blessing and im so glad i discovered it through dizzy reblogging it on tumblr. i love slow burn fics and this is so good and realistic. does anyone know when the author updates so i can keep up? cause i tend to get behind a few chapters since i do not know exactly when the story gets updated.
:transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 pm Do you think someone heard Phil making noise? I hope if Jimmy did, he is sweet to Phil. But also I'm sure he will
I'm definitely hoping that Jimmy heard and it leads to a talk - I think Phil opening up with Jimmy is one of my favorite parts of this story, I love that Phil doesn't have to go on this whole emotional journey on his own... I love that he's got that person solidly on his side no matter what.
DatCog
blobfish

Skylar wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:26 pm amaaf is a blessing and im so glad i discovered it through dizzy reblogging it on tumblr. i love slow burn fics and this is so good and realistic. does anyone know when the author updates so i can keep up? cause i tend to get behind a few chapters since i do not know exactly when the story gets updated.
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays...so another one tomorrow YESSS!

Can we also chat about my another WIP obsession Disturb The Universe? Feeling a little deflated as the Dan/Phil burn has gone off the boil at the moment but OMG what a cliffhanger....what will happen next??!
sonicgreen
woodland creature

DatCog wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 pm Can we also chat about my another WIP obsession Disturb The Universe? Feeling a little deflated as the Dan/Phil burn has gone off the boil at the moment but OMG what a cliffhanger....what will happen next??!
AH this fic is tearing me apart! I never read WIPs (this and amaaf are my only two in yEars), and now I remember why. It's no spoiler that its a happy ending but wHEN? This chapter stressed me out. Still… its sO good. Ashley (iihappydaysii) has done such a good job writing all the angst. They just keep pushing each other away, don't they? The biggest stressor for me from this chapter was the confirmation that Dan has gone completely dark. Not even checking online, no communication with Phil? Ah my heart. I hope we get a chapter from Phil's POV soon. The last chapter with him left me v worried.
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

Oh god DTU that last chapter man... i really don't know what to think. i mean, i'm happy for Dan, because he seems happy but i feel like that feeling comes from a place of 'forget phil' like not the right place for a feeling at all. Aaaand Roger guys!!! I really really like him (more than phil's wife that's for sure) so i'm really sad for him, because i don't know if Dan really loves him. If the next chapter is Phil's POV (wich i think it is) i'm going to die.

By the way, i started something that one of you recommended (sorry i'm in my phone so i can't find your name!!) L'Histoire Française and IT'S AMAZING!! That sexual tension tho.... :stan:
realeyesrealize
living flop

It couldn't be more worth it, in my opinion. One of the best fics I've ever read in any of the fandoms I've been. Phil's (unlablelled) demisexuality is treated with such respect and care, it's so uplifting and lovely to read. The slow burn is so good it leaves you tingling after reading each chapter, to the point where I find myself rereading chapters in between uploads and counting down the seconds until the next one is posted (aka what I'm currently doing). And the characterization! is! fucking! amazing! Seriously, I couldn't recommend it enough. Give it a try, promise you won't regret it!

Upload days are the best days. I'm refreshing AO3 like mad right now :happytyper:
DatCog
blobfish

MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

am I crying? i have only cried over a few fics in my life and i can't believe this is happening i'm so sad for dan being in the mental place but also so happy he has phil to help support him
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

ugh i made the mistake of reading the new chapter on the train ride to work and i'm dead. i had so much difficulty restraining from showing any emotion, but i am deceased. i think a re-read is in order before i actually form coherent thoughts haha