Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

what a sweet and great video :love2:
He looked stunning, that jumper brings out his eyes so much like what the hell :love1:
I loved the insight we got into his career choice, thoughts about london etc... it was small but he felt like he was really sharing personal opinions and that's nice! Hope this is a new 2018 trend
For some reason I liked him saying that he wouldn't live anywhere else than in London now and that he's happy that he picked youtube over editing or some other path (I mean the money probably does help not having regrets). The mentions of the world being a mess were .. not nice because, well. But funny ?
I also loved how he couldn't help but mention Dan in this video, like it was just 2 seconds of saying his name, but it's as if he had to because (I think) that's definitely one of the biggest change in his life now/most significant thing he'd want to tell 2018 Phil :happytears: that he's got a Dan now :happytears: (this is probably the closer we got to him acknowledging something about love haha, saying he's not a "total loner")
(and the dan plushie in the background with the phil one ... yep. totally necessary.)
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

Oooh i'm so glad i came here yo read your reaction to the video. When i saw the notification i found it so cringe, i don't know if my mood isn't correct or what, so i wasn't going to watch it. BUT, now that i've read your reactions i'm going to. So Thanks!!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

is this a promise for a quiff next year because pleaseee phil

the video was really quite soft and lovely, and it was interesting to see phil open up about some stuff. i didn't realize how much i've missed solo phil and his cheeky humour until now
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Loved the video. I'm liking Phil more and more every video, and he's being so much more real every video. He's really letting both his genuine side and his true humour show through. There were lots of great bits, but one that stuck out to me was the resolution of being more confident and putting himself out there. I love when Phil shows his more vulnerable-ish side, and shows how he wasn't always his best self but how much he's since grown as a person. Also liked his more sarcastic humour when mentioning WW3, tide pods, etc.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I mean, I've been wishing for a video and I'm glad it's a good one.
This made me want to go write a letter to my future self. (which i did, it's arriving in five years)
It's interesting to get to have a look into the mind of 2008 phil, a mysterious character who almost seems fictional now (phil without dan? what?)

the moment he told his 2008 self to get a haircut I nearly jumped on idb to yell at him that he should get a haircut himself.
rizzo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 pm Phil, you're telling me that 2008!AmazingPhil didn't have a line in there about finding love? Yeah. Right.
honestly my first thought was about what he cut out of it. there's no way that 2008 phil didn't mention that. it'd be the first line.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

AroboticPhil wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:11 pm (and the dan plushie in the background with the phil one ... yep. totally necessary.)
omg I didn't even realize. That's adorable!

I'll take that as more answers for 2008 Phil.
:happytears:
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Is it just me or do his eyebrows look particularly neat today?
hello9217
flower crown

snokoplasmic wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:23 pm Is it just me or do his eyebrows look particularly neat today?
Lol I was talking about this w/ someone after Dan's ls bc his looked neater and I think they probably both got them done for the photoshoots for tiit
autumnhearth
senpai

I really liked the video! I thought it was a nice balance of AmazingPhil, Phil Lester and Capital£ester. Gotta plug the tour and merch (and yes I sat through a 3 min ad for you, I hope you’re happy). But I found his mention of focusing on making TIIT the best to be pretty genuine and endearing even if it slid right into a spon. Did I have snarky thoughts throughout the video? Yep. Am I going to try to type them all out here? Nope. I like what he included photo and clip wise (Musical socks! Give us more please!) A went pretty soft for “Dada and Muma Lester”, his past self telling him to call his grandma more, him not being able to imagine living anywhere other than London and of course that Dani Snot On Fire guy (I am curious about what made him choose that photo.) And I love that sweater. I’m a sucker for wool with natural colored flecks in it. I have a charcoal grey scarf I knitted that has lighter grey and tan bits in it that reminds me of it. I’ll just be over here waiting for that 2019 quiff. Oh and the hubs said I can donate now. Yay!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Alright, IDB. Time to whip out the magnifying glasses.

"If you don't have some kind of pet right now, I'm disowning(?) you" ????
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I wasn't sure about this new vid just from reading the title, but I'm glad I decided to watch it since I really enjoyed it. Still a bit sad that we aren't getting a ls, but this certainly helped me get over it.
malday
emo goose

The video was a nice but it's no Christmas presents haul! :lol:

I also thought he left out parts out of his letter, and i found it strange he didn't elaborate on why he wanted to live in New York in 2008? Was that the year he went to NY and hung out with some American youtubers?
What a tease including screenshots of old deleted videos.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

rizzo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:40 pm Alright, IDB. Time to whip out the magnifying glasses.

It says "might have got a few more than that" after the subscriber question, so he definitely edited the letter before printing it.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

rizzo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:40 pm Alright, IDB. Time to whip out the magnifying glasses.

i think after the pet line it goes "dog? cat? hamster?" (not entirely sure about the last one, but knowing phil there's a good change that's what it says)
Grey
lady door

Aww I loved that video. Glad he made it to 50,000 subs. :D
I'm having a stress.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm fascinated by how the actual letter doesn't seem to have any mention of a love life? Phil at 21 thought there was a chance that at 31 he would still be living with his parents? How much shit was he repressing to not even want to imagine a settled down life for himself by then? (I say that with fondness, don't come at me.)
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

somethingsketchy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm

It says "might have got a few more than that" after the subscriber question, so he definitely edited the letter before printing it.
I WANNA KNOW THE REAL LETTER.
IT HAD TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT FINDING LOVE. ITS KILLING ME.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
sentinel
lady door

Random question inspired by the Dani Snot On Fire part - have we ever heard the Phil side of their meeting? I think by now everyone knows Dan stalked and bothered Phil until he just kinda resigned to being friends with him, but can anyone recall Phil telling it from his point of view?
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

somethingsketchy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm It says "might have got a few more than that" after the subscriber question, so he definitely edited the letter before printing it.
Oooh! Good catch. So it's a script and not the full letter just printed out. :hmmm:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm
somethingsketchy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm It says "might have got a few more than that" after the subscriber question, so he definitely edited the letter before printing it.
Oooh! Good catch. So it's a script and not the full letter just printed out. :hmmm:
Okay that makes a LOT more sense (also makes sense that he wouldn't want to print out parts he knew he didn't want in the video).
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

sentinel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:57 pm Random question inspired by the Dani Snot On Fire part - have we ever heard the Phil side of their meeting? I think by now everyone knows Dan stalked and bothered Phil until he just kinda resigned to being friends with him, but can anyone recall Phil telling it from his point of view?
probably because there's a lot of details that are too Homo to say, so they just go off Dan's story.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
malday
emo goose

rizzo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm
I don't think it's a script, he didn't actually say that in the video. There is also a "Hopefully there is no Titanic 2" line that he didn't read.

sentinel wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:57 pm Random question inspired by the Dani Snot On Fire part - have we ever heard the Phil side of their meeting? I think by now everyone knows Dan stalked and bothered Phil until he just kinda resigned to being friends with him, but can anyone recall Phil telling it from his point of view?
In the Interview with Sue Perkins he kind of did, or just stumbled to brush off the question quickly.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 pm I'm fascinated by how the actual letter doesn't seem to have any mention of a love life? Phil at 21 thought there was a chance that at 31 he would still be living with his parents? How much shit was he repressing to not even want to imagine a settled down life for himself by then? (I say that with fondness, don't come at me.)
i've often found that people joke more about the younger/youngest child staying at home and being a layabout, and coming from the constant jokes that my family makes about my younger brother possibly ending up exactly that (as well as my friend's families doing the same with their youngest children) it seems to be a common thing (or maybe it's just painfully north american lol) so i'm thinking at that point, as he was definitely in a post-uni limbo, unsure of where he was going in life, he was panicking about his future. looking back on phil's old videos, he definitely seemed to really want to get out of his family's house, but i think he also enjoyed the security of it.

that being said, i definitely think there was a build up of shit in his life that at that point was like a ticking time bomb he just couldn't deal with. obviously this is so so speculative, but from the little bits of his personal life that he's shared over the years, i think it's safe to say he was struggling, and especially so when trying to think of where he would be well into adulthood. i guess this is just another enigmatic part of phil to add to the list
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 pm I'm fascinated by how the actual letter doesn't seem to have any mention of a love life? Phil at 21 thought there was a chance that at 31 he would still be living with his parents? How much shit was he repressing to not even want to imagine a settled down life for himself by then? (I say that with fondness, don't come at me.)
i've often found that people joke more about the younger/youngest child staying at home and being a layabout, and coming from the constant jokes that my family makes about my younger brother possibly ending up exactly that (as well as my friend's families doing the same with their youngest children) it seems to be a common thing (or maybe it's just painfully north american lol) so i'm thinking at that point, as he was definitely in a post-uni limbo, unsure of where he was going in life, he was panicking about his future. looking back on phil's old videos, he definitely seemed to really want to get out of his family's house, but i think he also enjoyed the security of it.

that being said, i definitely think there was a build up of shit in his life that at that point was like a ticking time bomb he just couldn't deal with. obviously this is so so speculative, but from the little bits of his personal life that he's shared over the years, i think it's safe to say he was struggling, and especially so when trying to think of where he would be well into adulthood. i guess this is just another enigmatic part of phil to add to the list
If he wrote this in 2008 he was actually still at university - he didn't finish his final project until mid-2009 and didn't move back home from York until September 2009. Unless the limbo part just hit him way early.

But I do still think that your point stands - I think he probably has always been the type to just ignore/not address what he's feeling unsure about or scared of? So it makes sense that he would cling to the idea of what was familiar even projecting into his future.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

aww, that was such a good video. funny but with a few surprisingly genuine moments! i loved the bit where he talked about losing touch with friends and the new year's resolution he made in 2008. the dan mention was cute, too. this one definitely goes on the rewatch list. instant mood boost. and the pacing and length of the video was like...exactly right. 10/10, thanks, phil!

with respect to the letter, i could imagine that he didn't print the whole thing out. i'm just thinking -- i wrote a letter to myself like that as well and it had at least a few bits like "are you still friends with [name of person]", "is [name of relative] still alive", "did you ever manage to sort out [reference to very specific problem i had at this time]" etc.., so i'd probably go over it quickly and at least delete names or specific references i would want to keep private. and it'd be possible to do so without carefully reading and spoiling yourself.
thank's you were great