Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
human
dan hand trash

I'm gutted I missed the discussion about authenticity on AP as the first thing I said to my Deppy friends upon seeing the video was pfft don't believe that, how could younger Phil not even be able to imagine he would get famous from YouTube, yet was asking himself 10 years ago "did you ever get 50k subscribers?". I don't buy it. I barely even finished the video, it seemed like filler and didn't feel authentic to me at all. But I adore you Phil obviously, just no haha.

Wasn't a fan of the new gaming video either; don't get me wrong, I'm not against spon and never really understand why people are so critical of them for doing it, or deliberately won't watch spon videos. I just thought the game is naff haha. Wasn't interesting.

And agree that as soon as Phil put a beret on Dan's gorgeous looking hair, I was kinda checked out and bitter haha oops.

The app does have lovely music though #irrelevant
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Ewok wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:50 am Well, that wasn't my fav, but it was definitely no Dragon City, so I'm okay with it. Not something I imagine I'll rewatch, but whatevs, you go boys, make dat schmoney. :shrug:
dancy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 pm Interesting that they apparently filmed this more than a week ago, since the date at the bottom of the screen says January 18th.
I find this really interesting since I've wondered for a while now if they batch film the gaming videos. Not that it really matters, I guess, but all the discussion surrounding Phil's authenticity in some AP videos just makes me wonder.

It'd explain why we got no liveshow from him last Thursday, if they were batch filming and editing videos that evening (from what I can tell they played this from 10:40-11:20pm?) I'm actually really amazed that they could play a game like this for that long, lmao.

A reach here, but maybe they actually are traveling/taking even more time off for Phil's birthday and all this surprise content is being thrown our way to distract us from that. Whoever said they may be heading off to NY, you may be onto something. Guess only time will tell as I'm sure they'll be spotted at whatever Hamilton show they attend :spy:
Just a quick thought - I think the period between filming and publishing is much longer for this video since they likely have to run it by the sponsors first and get approval. After all, that company is paying some £££ for an advertisement, so they wanna make sure they are getting a good video.
I remember being able to see RL time in videos before (the portrait drawing game and Undertale Flowey fight?) and there wasn't more than a few days between filming and posting.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: she/her

please head over to vote for part 65 thread name as soon as you can!

votey vote!!! :)

Amiaw wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 pm
rizzo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm 14:25 was some interesting body language from Phil. Replayed that roughly 4 times.
This, and the moment in Getting Over It where he used that really cutesy voice when he was talking to Dan at 19:10- He's really dialing up the adorable actions this year
^ yesssss to this.

9.55 was interesting to me, Dan questioning Phil's choice to do a super manly voice for a fairly feminine looking male character, and then Phil adjusting it.

4.35 - did i catch a blink-and-you-miss-it flash of dan repressing a bigger grin with his lips, here? at the tail addition? talk about furries. shy now are we danny, now that phil is joining in?

Phantasy I took your original post to be rhetorical in nature which i don't think some others did; to take you up on your discussion point, our perception of dan and phil vs perception of the uninitiated (eg. parents) may indeed not be the same. to that end, yes, you have a valid point. it's very interesting to analyse why they make the decisions they do and extrapolate based on what we know/what we think we know.
art in avatar by lily
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

human wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:37 am I'm gutted I missed the discussion about authenticity on AP as the first thing I said to my Deppy friends upon seeing the video was pfft don't believe that, how could younger Phil not even be able to imagine he would get famous from YouTube, yet was asking himself 10 years ago "did you ever get 50k subscribers?". I don't buy it. I barely even finished the video, it seemed like filler and didn't feel authentic to me at all. But I adore you Phil obviously, just no haha.
I find this really interesting, because to me Phil came across more authentic than usual in this video. He was making political commentary (albeit vague, but it was still definitely alluding to the alarming state of politics at the moment), and overall seemed less polished and chipper (that doesn't feel like the right word tbh. practised? polished? squeaky clean?) than he has before on his main channel. As for Phil of 2008 asking future-him whether he ever got 50k subscribers - that does seem realistic to me, given that 50k subscribers was a lot at the time. He had no way of knowing that there'd ever be a time where people got millions of subscribers, so it makes sense that he wouldn't have even considered it a possibility for him. 50k seems realistic for the time to me, especially if that was his goal at the time of sending the email.

I do think the script was definitely edited by Phil beforehand, as in he read the email thoroughly and edited out the bits he didn't want to share (likely, specific names and things he deemed too personal, like discussion of his love life), but other than that it really did seem authentic to me, at least as authentic as main channel Phil gets. That's not to take away at all from your perspective, it's genuinely really interesting for me to hear, just thought I'd offer up a different opinion!
hello9217
flower crown

To add to the discussion about whether it’s appropriate for deppy to have played this game: The intial reason why I didn’t want to watch this video is bc I thought the premise sounded rather weird. “Come watch dan and I dress up anime girls.” I don’t know it kind of just rubbed me the wrong way. Like come watch two adult men play a game where the maximum age you have to be to play it is 4, according to the App Store.

I never once took into account their sexualities because straight or part of the queer community dnp can make quite inappropriate jokes and in the wrong setting, like this game, it could come across as creepy. But after reading the comments I gave it a shot and the video was fine. I cringed at a couple parts but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it could be.

The problem with saying “if you put jc and kian or the Paul brothers in their place” is that they are radically different people than deppy. Jc and Kian have queerbaited, talked about losing their virginity, discussed masterbation, etc. Jake Paul once had his dad kiss an underage girl without her knowledge, she was blindfolded and said she would be kissing Jakes friends, who were all 19-21. So them playing this game would be different to deppy bc they would most likely try to sexualize the girls in the game, i.e. discussing their bodies and most likely picking out clothing items that were probably revealing. Deppy took this game seriously and were humorous and did not make me feel weird watching them.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

hello9217 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:17 pm To add to the discussion about whether it’s appropriate for deppy to have played this game: The intial reason why I didn’t want to watch this video is bc I thought the premise sounded rather weird. “Come watch dan and I dress up anime girls.” I don’t know it kind of just rubbed me the wrong way. Like come watch two adult men play a game where the maximum age you have to be to play it is 4, according to the App Store.

I never once took into account their sexualities because straight or part of the queer community dnp can make quite inappropriate jokes and in the wrong setting, like this game, it could come across as creepy. But after reading the comments I gave it a shot and the video was fine. I cringed at a couple parts but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it could be.

The problem with saying “if you put jc and kian or the Paul brothers in their place” is that they are radically different people than deppy. Jc and Kian have queerbaited, talked about losing their virginity, discussed masterbation, etc. Jake Paul once had his dad kiss an underage girl without her knowledge, she was blindfolded and said she would be kissing Jakes friends, who were all 19-21. So them playing this game would be different to deppy bc they would most likely try to sexualize the girls in the game, i.e. discussing their bodies and most likely picking out clothing items that were probably revealing. Deppy took this game seriously and were humorous and did not make me feel weird watching them.
it never once crossed my mind that dan and phil would sexualize a cartoon... they're not those kind of people at all... I don't think it crossed their mind either.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
hello9217
flower crown

ratlad wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 pm
hello9217 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:17 pm To add to the discussion about whether it’s appropriate for deppy to have played this game: The intial reason why I didn’t want to watch this video is bc I thought the premise sounded rather weird. “Come watch dan and I dress up anime girls.” I don’t know it kind of just rubbed me the wrong way. Like come watch two adult men play a game where the maximum age you have to be to play it is 4, according to the App Store.

it never once crossed my mind that dan and phil would sexualize a cartoon... they're not those kind of people at all... I don't think it crossed their mind either.
Oh I never thought that they would sexualize a cartoon it was more of a they would make an inappropriate joke that could come off as weird given the context of the game. It's like when Phil made that mile high club joke in the Poptropica video; it was off-putting because the people that play that game are very young.

Or if this is in my response to the sentence "they would most likely try to sexualize the girls" I wasn't talking about deppy when I said they; I was talking about if JC and Kian or the Paul brothers played this game and that's why it would be different from deppy. Sorry if I worded it wrong bc now reading it again I definitely should have been more clear at that part.
autumnhearth
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:59 am
Ewok wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:50 am Well, that wasn't my fav, but it was definitely no Dragon City, so I'm okay with it. Not something I imagine I'll rewatch, but whatevs, you go boys, make dat schmoney. :shrug:
dancy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 pm Interesting that they apparently filmed this more than a week ago, since the date at the bottom of the screen says January 18th.
I find this really interesting since I've wondered for a while now if they batch film the gaming videos. Not that it really matters, I guess, but all the discussion surrounding Phil's authenticity in some AP videos just makes me wonder.

It'd explain why we got no liveshow from him last Thursday, if they were batch filming and editing videos that evening (from what I can tell they played this from 10:40-11:20pm?) I'm actually really amazed that they could play a game like this for that long, lmao.

A reach here, but maybe they actually are traveling/taking even more time off for Phil's birthday and all this surprise content is being thrown our way to distract us from that. Whoever said they may be heading off to NY, you may be onto something. Guess only time will tell as I'm sure they'll be spotted at whatever Hamilton show they attend :spy:
Just a quick thought - I think the period between filming and publishing is much longer for this video since they likely have to run it by the sponsors first and get approval. After all, that company is paying some £££ for an advertisement, so they wanna make sure they are getting a good video.
I remember being able to see RL time in videos before (the portrait drawing game and Undertale Flowey fight?) and there wasn't more than a few days between filming and posting.
Good sound logic. I was the one with the NYC :illuminati: but I’m not taking it that seriously (unless of course it somehow is proven true in which case I’ll celebrate and feel proud of my powers of observation. But you know um probably not.)

I like the points being made about two guys playing a dress up fashion game and despite what seems like an easy dismissal on my part, it’s all good food for thought. Perhaps if it wasn’t a spon and they weren’t so genuinely excited by wardrobe choices in games, there could have been some inappropriate comments. The parents scenario is a good one to think about. For me, perceiving them as queer and just knowing their general personalities does help though. I just don’t think it all comes down to sexual orientation, but that’s not really what queerness means anyway.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

captainspacecoat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:32 pm
human wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:37 am I'm gutted I missed the discussion about authenticity on AP as the first thing I said to my Deppy friends upon seeing the video was pfft don't believe that, how could younger Phil not even be able to imagine he would get famous from YouTube, yet was asking himself 10 years ago "did you ever get 50k subscribers?". I don't buy it. I barely even finished the video, it seemed like filler and didn't feel authentic to me at all. But I adore you Phil obviously, just no haha.
I find this really interesting, because to me Phil came across more authentic than usual in this video. He was making political commentary (albeit vague, but it was still definitely alluding to the alarming state of politics at the moment), and overall seemed less polished and chipper (that doesn't feel like the right word tbh. practised? polished? squeaky clean?) than he has before on his main channel. As for Phil of 2008 asking future-him whether he ever got 50k subscribers - that does seem realistic to me, given that 50k subscribers was a lot at the time. He had no way of knowing that there'd ever be a time where people got millions of subscribers, so it makes sense that he wouldn't have even considered it a possibility for him. 50k seems realistic for the time to me, especially if that was his goal at the time of sending the email.

I do think the script was definitely edited by Phil beforehand, as in he read the email thoroughly and edited out the bits he didn't want to share (likely, specific names and things he deemed too personal, like discussion of his love life), but other than that it really did seem authentic to me, at least as authentic as main channel Phil gets. That's not to take away at all from your perspective, it's genuinely really interesting for me to hear, just thought I'd offer up a different opinion!
Yeah I agree with captainspacecoat - I think 50k is a reasonable goal, and I think people didn't get famous from youtube at the time so he wouldn't be able to fathom being properly famous from it even with 50k subscribers. I'm not even sure Bryony had gotten her BBC deal from it in January of 2008 and she'd by far have been one of 'famous youtubers' of that year.

On a side note, out of curiosity I looked up Phil's subscriber count as of April 2008 (the earliest snapshot on the wayback machine) and wow, he only had 5649 - but was the 54th most subscribed youtuber in the UK.

teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I too had reservations about deps playing a dress-up game when the title says [deppy] "dress anime girls". There is a lot to say (not getting into it) about the realism, stereotyping, infantilizing, fetishizing of women in anime, and though 'girls' is a term women use to promote and unite, men have used 'girl' to refer to women in order to demean. Deppy by no means have done the latter, I think they are very aware of the overwhelming portion of their fanbase that is female, and the responsibility they have to support them, and they try their best to do so. Going back for just a moment to my first sentence, I am glad that deppy did play a dress-up game, smashing gender roles is a positive and encouraging action. I think I'd have preferred if the game provided both male and female dolls. Also, people are all shapes and sizes and game...seriously..barbie wants her tiny back (sincerely no body shaming intended, I just wish for inclusivity).
nutshell: deppy played a game I would not have expected them to play and I have a couple niggling nitpicks, but overall, who cares, I enjoyed two minutes of the gameplay then got bored.
starwatersong
phabergé

Re: Anime Girl Dress-up

Game didn’t seem really inappropriate to me and D&P didn’t approach it that way.

I figured they ended up with the #spon because they and the app have a large shared audience (majority are young and female).
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Please continue here
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart: