Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

rizzo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm 14:25 was some interesting body language from Phil. Replayed that roughly 4 times.
This, and the moment in Getting Over It where he used that really cutesy voice when he was talking to Dan at 19:10- He's really dialing up the adorable actions this year
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

at 10:34 phil shoving his face into dans head like there's no tomorrow
that's absolutely beautiful
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

If you have any thread name suggestions, go forth and leave them here!
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

ok this is embarrassing but I LOVE this game and have spent way too much money on it, and I have never spent money on a game ever until this one. Its addictive and I love it even though it sucks your soul. its a grind and a money sink and I'm so addicted.

I have been playing for 4 months and have had to GRIND every day for the items that they had. they must got a version with everything already unlocked and I kinda wanted to cry a little lol.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Capita£ester goes fashion! That Fabergé spon is coming ladies! :phaberge:

That video wasn't great, even boring at times and Phil's attempts at comedy by making weird fashion choices got old fast, but I didn't hate it. They seemed genuinely into it and I always enjoy them almost sitting on top each other. And the #spon worked. I downloaded it out of sheer annoyance at their unfashionable asses and because I needed a new mobile game and this seemed fun. I'm already addicted to dress up games anyway. :D
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
ratlad
angel bean

ratlad wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 pm at 10:34 phil shoving his face into dans head like there's no tomorrow
that's absolutely beautiful
also 14:37 the way phil looks at dan that is :happytears: art
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

All I got from this video is the implication that they argue over who has the bigger... "anime collection." :boredwank: :bighug: :dildo:

(also omg dans hair was so beautiful at the beginning why did phil have to make him wear the beret)
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
alch
ar·tic·u·late

So when I say this was a good video, I mean good for a #spon. Not really a great video otherwise. The thread name is coming to life.
It wasn't bad, since my expectations are so low for this kind of video, so I was pleasantly surprised. Probably just repeating thoughts other people have had but y'know, I do that a lot. It seemed like they actually came somewhere close to enjoying it, unlike dragon city which is truly painful to watch. They seemed kind of into it, which elevated the video to being enjoyable.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

When I saw the notification I went 'yep, not watching this, seems like a cringe fest' from the title only and didn't even notice the #AD because I closed the notification really fast
After reading the opinions of everyone here I decided to give it a chance and it really isn't that bad, it's a good video for a spon and it even got me to to download the game from their link and all.
Like someone said, them looking like they were into the game made a big difference because that could have easily been so boring.
I'm about to play the game and see if I'm into dress games just as much as I was when I was a kid/early teen.
My two favorite moments of the game are at the start when Dan is talking about Phil getting him a grey hat-thing-idkhowtospellthat and Phil answers with "Treasure it" and at the end Phil saying Dan did well by not choosing all black.
starwatersong
phabergé

As #spons go, it was better for sure than Dragon City, but not as good as UK vs Japan lunches, which was a treasure.

Love the excuses to wear berets and hated their fashion choices.

Either way, glad to see a bonus video!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

LurkingTrash wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:39 pm My two favorite moments of the game are at the start when Dan is talking about Phil getting him a grey hat-thing-idkhowtospellthat and Phil answers with "Treasure it" and at the end Phil saying Dan did well by not choosing all black.
It's a "beret", which, like so many French words, is pronounced differently in Britain and America: BER-ay vs be-RAY.

I enjoyed the video and thought it was as cute as many of their "barely actually playing a game" videos, #spon or no.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
thesadassassin
dank meme

I swear dan looks tired as hell in this video and when I first got the notification I just thought that they must’ve been payed a lot to play the game since it’s not something they’ll normally play. I personally got bored but I find most of their gaming videos boring unless they’re competing or something,
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I actually enjoyed the video, for a spon it was pretty entertaining, I'd give it like a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. The game itself doesn't seem like my sort of thing (although 10 year old me would have loved it, I used to be obsessed with those dress up games) but they both seemed to be in a good mood. I love that cynical Dan suddenly believes in premonitions when it comes to Phil's 'dp' t-shirt predicting Dan and Phil. Not sure I'd rewatch any time soon, but I thought it was a solid video given that they're uploading pretty regularly on the gaming channel at the moment.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

captainspacecoat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:22 amNot sure I'd rewatch any time soon, but I thought it was a solid video given that they're uploading pretty regularly on the gaming channel at the moment.
That's a great point - them uploading regularly is definitely what makes a video like this really not bad. This is the fourth video we've gotten (two other gaming + AP) in a week, it almost just felt like a bonus video or something.
thesadassassin
dank meme

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:59 pm
fancybum wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 pm Welp I typed out some thoughts and pressed submit and then I saw all the recent posts that were made while I was typing and everyone seems to love the video so I'll keep my thoughts to myself and watch it again tomorrow when I'm hopefully in a better mood.
Hey it’s the next day, come shit on his video. Or leave balanced constructive criticism, whatever. I’m experiencing this video only through reactions and I want some salt.
Well you asked for it so here goes nothing.

I know you should generally give people the benefit of the doubt, but with D&P and their history of... altering the truth (ranging from mutual friend lie to Phil's Sleepless "Night" confirmed to not be recorded at night), I am not sure if the letter is legit. I mean there is a good chance that it is, but it's also such an easy and quick thing to fake. Why would you ask your future self so many questions? Wouldn't you just write about how your live is at the moment and then reflect on that 10 years later? It just seems so convenient, exactly one page long, great segue to spon the tour.

More salt? I just feel like Phil sounds so fake when he puts on that intense, chirpy presenter voice. Maybe it's just a bit too much for my taste. I nope out of YouTube videos way too often when the person starts speaking. "Hey guys OMG I am so excited to be making this video" - no thanks.

I would just love more real content. Something that isn't filtered through script version 3 and version final and version final final.docx. D&P content is a proven recipe, but sometimes I'd just like some fresh air. Everything is so cleanly framed and set up. We can basically call all bullet points on Dan's liveshow agenda because how predictable things are.

And hey, since I don't want to be complaining without saying things I'd rather hear about:
I really wonder how much Phil learned in his postgrad studies. His chroma-keyed firework effects and whatever fun rotating zooms they are doing in the gaming videos is really basic beginner stuff. I wonder how good he actually is. I'm thinking like Markiplier's and JSE's bigger projects (e.g. Who Killed Markiplier and all the Antisepticeye stuff). I know they always want to be #relatable and #quirky/#edgy respectively but man I would love some complicated insight. Or to speak in their language: Show me your brainussy, Phil.

Don't blame me guys, blame fancybum, they asked for it :backawayslowly:
-Yeah I do think that it could be fake knowing Phil’s history but I personally don’t think it’s fake. Edited for sure but probably not totally fake.

-I mean Phil has to put a ‘presenter’ voice on or no one will watch the video. He needs to look interested in his own video for other people to watch. Nearly every youtuber does it. But I know what you mean that’s why I prefer his liveshows (not that we’re getting any of that rn).

-Yeah I’d also love to see more real content but I can’t really think of what videos they could make. The only thing that comes to mind is DITL videos but that’s probably not happening

-Yeah I always wondered what Phil actually learnt at uni both in his postgrad but also with his English Lang studies
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

I liked it. Even for a spon video I found it good. Then again I am a sucker for dress up games even at my age. I liked it quite a lot!
:transheart:
Ewok
rainbow nerd

Well, that wasn't my fav, but it was definitely no Dragon City, so I'm okay with it. Not something I imagine I'll rewatch, but whatevs, you go boys, make dat schmoney. :shrug:
dancy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 pm Interesting that they apparently filmed this more than a week ago, since the date at the bottom of the screen says January 18th.
I find this really interesting since I've wondered for a while now if they batch film the gaming videos. Not that it really matters, I guess, but all the discussion surrounding Phil's authenticity in some AP videos just makes me wonder.

It'd explain why we got no liveshow from him last Thursday, if they were batch filming and editing videos that evening (from what I can tell they played this from 10:40-11:20pm?) I'm actually really amazed that they could play a game like this for that long, lmao.

A reach here, but maybe they actually are traveling/taking even more time off for Phil's birthday and all this surprise content is being thrown our way to distract us from that. Whoever said they may be heading off to NY, you may be onto something. Guess only time will tell as I'm sure they'll be spotted at whatever Hamilton show they attend :spy:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
DeadlyNova
living flop

I can't believe Dan and Phil played my guilty pleasure addiction game...I spend hours a day on this game and have spent a ton of money on it and I never thought it would appear anywhere else in my life. I kept snapchatting my friends that also play the game clips from this video and they got a huge kick out of it. xD
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I honestly think that they batch recorded last week to cover this week especially but also the next few weeks. I think they are in rehearsals/meetings of some sort. In the TATINOF video it showed how much work went into getting a show ready. I'm pretty sure they are going to see Hamilton in London otherwise they would have gone to see it in New York a year ago.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I keep going back to look at the thumbnail for this video - Dan staring at Phil with a heart on Dan's corner. It's so shameless? Cute, but shameless.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Let’s just say for a minute that D&P are 2 straight adult bros with a gaming channel and they played this game—would it it at all have a shift in context that borderlined on inappropriate? I mean the matierial, though innocent enough, does involve costuming young adolescent girls in various stages of undress (more or less the same age range of their core audience). My point being: is it so universally accepted at this point that D&P are queer-spectrum individuals that there’s not even a hint of notion that the content might be eyebrow-raising?
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Phantasy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:03 am Let’s just say for a minute that D&P are 2 straight adult bros with a gaming channel and they played this game—would it it at all have a shift in context that borderlined on inappropriate? I mean the matierial, though innocent enough, does involve costuming young adolescent girls in various stages of undress (more or less the same age range of their core audience). My point being: is it so universally accepted at this point that D&P are queer-spectrum individuals that there’s not even a hint of notion that the content might be eyebrow-raising?
I don't think there's any point entertaining the thought that they're two straight adult bros with a gaming channel, first of all, as they definitely aren't (at the very least, Dan definitely isn't, but I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Phil is also not straight based on things he himself has said) so that feels kind of futile. Regarding the age of the girls in the game - do we know for sure they're meant to be underage? Did it ever state that? I mean, one of the scenarios was a job interview, which made me guess they were probably meant to be in like, at least their early 20s (obviously, teenagers have jobs as well, it just seemed like an office-type job that would be open to adults). I figured the girls were meant to be in university maybe, or around that age?

If the game definitely does revolve around dressing up underage girls, then I could see how that might make people feel uneasy (I think I'd feel a bit weird about it). But, and please correct me if I'm wrong, there was nothing to necessarily suggest that? Those sorts of dressing up games have been around for ages, and I don't think they're inherently sexual :shrug:
autumnhearth
senpai

Eh, I’m not sure if it even matters whether they are attracted to women and/or men, when they treat the game completely non-sexually and appropriately, putting themselves in the role of the girl, not someone objectifying her. Phil did tell Dan to put a top on her and Dan was a bit concerned for her exposed upper thighs. I’m not sure what role the audience’s perception of them plays, when they just handled everything right. Does it play a role for me personally? Kinda. I’m just glad they are playing this now and not a few years ago. It shows maturity and professionalism more than anything.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Phantasy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:03 am Let’s just say for a minute that D&P are 2 straight adult bros with a gaming channel and they played this game—would it it at all have a shift in context that borderlined on inappropriate? I mean the matierial, though innocent enough, does involve costuming young adolescent girls in various stages of undress (more or less the same age range of their core audience). My point being: is it so universally accepted at this point that D&P are queer-spectrum individuals that there’s not even a hint of notion that the content might be eyebrow-raising?
I couldn’t give 2 fs if they were the straightest men on this god damn planet. Their individual sexuality has nothing to do with this game?! I don’t see the need to pick at something that is innocent. They in no way made any sexual comments about or too the girls while dressing them. The girls were never at any point nude. She was covered in a top! There is YouTube tags where you guess the age of underage girls!!! that’s the crap people need to be having this attitude to. Straight or not they were never once sexual about the girls in the game. I don’t see the need for this post there is no problem in my opinion.
Phantasy
woodland creature

So the argument seems to be that in no way does the context of the gameplay and how it’s perceived shift so long as the approach of the gamers is completely non-sexual and professional? Yet, in my minds eye if I were to drop in 2 other squarely straight male youtubers in their 20s, let’s just say Kian and JC (or the Paul brothers if you prefer your masculinity toxic), and even if they approach the gameplay with the same level of decorum as D&P, for some reason I would see the game in an altered light. So, to me context about the gameplayers is a factor—knowing that D&P are not arch types of hetero-masculinity somehow removes any semblance of impropriety.

And maybe to help further illustrate the point (if there is one), I picture a parent who’s been asked by their tween daughter to go see Interactive Introverts, so the parent, being engaged and diligent wants to check out these Dan and Phil guys before giving permission, so the parent brings up their gaming channel and with no other context sees 2 adult men playing a game of dress-up with questionably aged (in appearance) Anime girls—even when approached with total propriety, I can see a parent living in a hetero-normative world view the subject matter, if not inappropriate to some degree, then at least perhaps odd.