Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

I have seen so many obnoxious online personalities complaining lately about how hard it is to be responsible with their tweets and videos and presence, it really makes you appreciate those who are, like Deppy. They know the impact their tweets will have and have changes several lives with a simple retweet.

(reindeer and dentist tweets aside.)
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

£5,000 :woohoo:
kavat
pastel persona

mermaid blood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:35 am can't overstate how important the timing is also that Make a Wish picked it up and caught phil's attention, not for self-congratulatory back-patting, but because there's so much disturbing fan support of shitty youtube creator behaviour going around at the moment on social media. i think it probably genuinely surprised phil and dan, and the wider phandom, and is a chance to reinforce positive behaviour and outcomes and set a tone in a troubling landscape.
I think this is really important. There's so much shitty behaviour both in the YouTube community and among fans right now so this is a golden opportunity to highlight a genuinely good creator and for him to shine a light on the good parts of fandom. It's straight out of Phil's book of being a positive influence in the world and not give the bad things to much attention. The timing couldn't have been better.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I am really hoping we get the Dan memes video today! He hasn't been so active on twitter the last days which is generally a sign that a video is in the works.

@lilabet, I think it would be best to create a separate thread for Phandom Gives. Then all discussion and suggestions and planning is in one place!
(I'd love to help out but I am not sure if I got any useful skills or if you need any help. Let us know!)
phillyforgot
butt chair

Seeing a Dan memes video would be great, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it. I'm just curious what memes he's going to use. I've been waiting for the video since it was announced.
vogonsrock
squish

I'm late to the party as usual but god what a wonderful bunch of people we have here. I've always found being part of the phandom in general a happy and rewarding experience, and have come across some truly astoundingly wonderful people, but this charity drive has really blown me away. Thanks so much to @lilabet and everyone involved in setting up the means for us to do this <3 :stan: .

Also Phil's selfie :happytears:
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

lord, i had completely forgotten about the memes video. i hope he's not struggling with making it and is just busy.

i think it's interesting how phil included dan in his tweet thanking phandomgives. Make a wish didn't tag dan, and neither did phil. it almost reads as an impulsive, or not over-thought at least, response to being happy and moved. and dan was included in that on a personal level before phil thought to include him on a professional one.
art in avatar by lily
fondsmiles
phabergé

mermaid blood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm i think it's interesting how phil included dan in his tweet thanking phandomgives. Make a wish didn't tag dan, and neither did phil. it almost reads as an impulsive, or not over-thought at least, response to being happy and moved. and dan was included in that on a personal level before phil thought to include him on a professional one.
aaaah you managed to put it into words. i think that's it, for me at least. what makes me so happy. that he included Dan, the-person-he-shares-his-life-with Dan, and not Daniel Howell TM. because it shows that it's such a genuine reaction. gosh. :happytears:
[x]
[x]
blueskies
phillion/danosaur <//3

fondsmiles wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm
mermaid blood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm i think it's interesting how phil included dan in his tweet thanking phandomgives. Make a wish didn't tag dan, and neither did phil. it almost reads as an impulsive, or not over-thought at least, response to being happy and moved. and dan was included in that on a personal level before phil thought to include him on a professional one.
aaaah you managed to put it into words. i think that's it, for me at least. what makes me so happy. that he included Dan, the-person-he-shares-his-life-with Dan, and not Daniel Howell TM. because it shows that it's such a genuine reaction. gosh. :happytears:
fondsmiles, your profile picture combined with what you and mermaid blood said just made me feel so warm :happytears: Phandom Gives is great, everyone who helped out is great, and deppy continue to own my heart.
Last edited by mermaid blood on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken code
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

i hate them
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Clearly Dan was a fan of the selfie, too.
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I don't really agree that Phil tagged Dan on a personal level. Like just in this case, it was professional because it's kinda known in the Phandom that quite a few people - at least in the beginning - prefer Dan more. He has more subscribers too. So with that, or even without that, he's part of the reason people want to donate, regardless of the note about it being for Phil's birthday. Cause they say PhANdom gives and they wanna, you know, give. So it would've been weird for Phil to act like people donated in his name and for his sake alone.

It was a really good idea also! Only, it'll be good if there's a message to the younger fans, let's say 14 and under, that they shouldn't donate until it is their money, or their parents have given permission. I've done it myself a few years back and know others that have done it, be it buying merch or donating to charity, because they feel left out/guilty otherwise. But that's normally their parents money so it's not right, even if it is for charity!

Wow, I come on here like a big old grump, don't I? Okay one last hit: I actually can't wait for Dan's meme video!!
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
Amiaw
interactive introvert

relatablemood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm I don't really agree that Phil tagged Dan on a personal level. Like just in this case, it was professional because it's kinda known in the Phandom that quite a few people - at least in the beginning - prefer Dan more. He has more subscribers too. So with that, or even without that, he's part of the reason people want to donate, regardless of the note about it being for Phil's birthday. Cause they say PhANdom gives and they wanna, you know, give. So it would've been weird for Phil to act like people donated in his name and for his sake alone.
This was specifically for Phil’s birthday though. The tweet, Make a Wish, the post, and the comments from people who donated all only mention Phil and so I think that’s why we think it’s such a nice, personal guesture. It’s actually stranger imo for Phil to make it a joint thing when this is the one occasion when it really is all about him
fancybum
senpai

I mean if we really need to strip any sentimentality out of it, he included Dan because their involvement with that specific charity is always joint (they both do the activities with the kids), so Dan is involved in that way, and would still be personally [touched/proud/idk] by the gesture. But I don’t know why we need to take anything away from the wording or intent of Phil’s tweet. Everything’s great, nothing hurts, bring on the memes.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
sparkle
blobfish

current mood:

Meme me up Danny!

(I swear to god if there isnt a significant section on the donut i am unstanning)
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Amiaw wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm
relatablemood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:41 pm I don't really agree that Phil tagged Dan on a personal level. Like just in this case, it was professional because it's kinda known in the Phandom that quite a few people - at least in the beginning - prefer Dan more. He has more subscribers too. So with that, or even without that, he's part of the reason people want to donate, regardless of the note about it being for Phil's birthday. Cause they say PhANdom gives and they wanna, you know, give. So it would've been weird for Phil to act like people donated in his name and for his sake alone.
This was specifically for Phil’s birthday though. The tweet, Make a Wish, the post, and the comments from people who donated all only mention Phil and so I think that’s why we think it’s such a nice, personal gesture. It’s actually stranger imo for Phil to make it a joint thing when this is the one occasion when it really is all about him
I don't know, it's just my perspective on it that if Dan wasn't Phil's business partner, people wouldn't care enough to donate. It's harsh but it's definitely not the majority, and of course, people are gonna pick favourites when up until recently they had quite different personas still going strong. I guess I'm talking more about the appeal of donating than anything because as you said, they all mention Phil's birthday in the comments. But that doesn't really show anything because of course, they'll say that's the only reason. They'll probably think that too and feel good about it. But there are other reasons for donating to Phil like because Dan's so involved with him, or because they'd feel left out otherwise. (Also I don't really like some aspects of Make A Wish due to personal reasons so that might be where some of my saltiness comes from oops).
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
blackdenim
procrastinator

I know I'm late but between going to a gig last night and indulging in my supreme guilty pleasure of Celebrity Big Brother for 2 hours every night, I've been offline for the last few days. Guys I'm so proud of you/us/Phandom for raising almost £5,500 for Make A Wish. It's such a great charity and that's such a lot of money!!! I'm sure Phil (and Dan but specifically Phil, since it's for his birthday) is really touched that his fans have banded together to do something so great. I think this is such a lovely example of using our collective voice for something good and it makes me excited to see what else the Phandom could achieve :') I know other people have said the same but I'm feeling really warm and fuzzy about this so I had to put my 2 cents in!
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

relatablemood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm
This was specifically for Phil’s birthday though. The tweet, Make a Wish, the post, and the comments from people who donated all only mention Phil and so I think that’s why we think it’s such a nice, personal gesture. It’s actually stranger imo for Phil to make it a joint thing when this is the one occasion when it really is all about him
I don't know, it's just my perspective on it that if Dan wasn't Phil's business partner, people wouldn't care enough to donate. It's harsh but it's definitely not the majority, and of course, people are gonna pick favourites when up until recently they had quite different personas still going strong. I guess I'm talking more about the appeal of donating than anything because as you said, they all mention Phil's birthday in the comments. But that doesn't really show anything because of course, they'll say that's the only reason. They'll probably think that too and feel good about it. But there are other reasons for donating to Phil like because Dan's so involved with him, or because they'd feel left out otherwise. (Also I don't really like some aspects of Make A Wish due to personal reasons so that might be where some of my saltiness comes from oops).
I mean, just because there may be more people who prefer Dan doesn't mean that the portion of the Phandom that either likes Phil more or truly doesn't have a preference makes up an insignificant amount. I'm pretty sure that most of the people who donated did it purely in Phil's name, for his sake alone, as this is for his birthday. I really don't see the sense of Phil adding Dan's name in the tweet as....what, a business plan to raise more money? the original post from PhandomGives and the tweet from MakeAWish only mentions Phil and it was doing quite well, I don't believe that Phil including Dan's name in his tweet (not even tagging him!) would cause a significant increase in donations that wouldn't have happened anyway.
so_cheesy
butt chair

I don't think we should overanalyze this. Please don't turn a charity fundraiser into a tirade of why people donate and who is more popular and why tweeted the way they did.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil liked this on twitter - hopefully a sign that they're back in the swing of it and planning upcoming gaming videos?
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I have just created the Phandom Gives topic where we can discuss the charity project and come up with ideas for Dan's birthday drive and for tour.
It can be found hereviewtopic.php?f=7&t=1163
(Mods apologies if i put it in the wrong place).

I have included the first post here with the list of social media links, birthday drive links and thank yous
lilabet wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 pm
Phandom Gives:

How and why Phandom Gives came about
I had been considering for months the fact that there was no charity drive the Phandom (that I am aware of). Then @LtrllySusan started a conversation about Dan and Phil’s charity work. I felt that as a fandom we could be doing more ourselves and luckily it's almost Phil's Birthday so our first project was born.

I took a lot of inspiration from 1D Fans Give and set up Phandom Gives.
Everyone has surpassed my expectations -see me setting the original goal as £310.00! Thank you to everyone who has donated and shared, it means a lot.

I chose Just Giving because the money goes directly to the charities. According to their website “We automatically transfer donations to the chosen charity on a weekly basis (or, if the total donated to that particular charity on JustGiving is under £100, we wait until the end of the month). We do this so that charities don’t have to wait too long to start putting the funds raised towards their amazing work.” Further details can be found on their website https://help.justgiving.com/hc/en-us/ar ... e-charity-

Charities
Phil's Birthday Drive: Make A Wish - We chose Make A Wish because of the boy's past support.
Please donate to Phil's birthday drive https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ ... ves-phil31!
Or if you are in the UK you can text PGVS91 with £5 or an alternative amount to 70070.

Dan's Birthday Drive - We chose Young Minds as Dan is an ambassador.
His birthday drive is already open but I’ll do a full announcement in February. Feel free to donate now but we do have until June for his one :) Please donate to Dan's drive birthday drive https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ ... ives-dan27! Or if you are in the UK you can text PGVS50 £5 or an alternative amount to 70070.

NOTE: If you are in the UK and donating in GBP, make sure to check the GIFT AID BOX. Make A Wish will receive the tax back from the government so they actually receive more of the donation!
If you want to donate by PayPal, make sure you change the currency to GBP.

Social Media
https://phandomgives.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/PhandomGives
https://www.instagram.com/phandomgives/?hl=en
Also phandomgives.com is a work in progress but i bought it today!

Thank You To
@psychicmoth who created the amazing branding and some great images.
@missemma for volunteering to help out with twitter. It'll be great to have back up when we start being more creative for Dan's drive.
@DatCog for volunteering to build the new website. I'm sure it'll be amazing once it's up and running.

This project has just started so if you have any ideas be it for Dan's drive or wider phandom giving please leave them below. I'm definitely interested in what we could do around tour as well. <3
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:15 pm Phil liked this on twitter - hopefully a sign that they're back in the swing of it and planning upcoming gaming videos?
I saw this and had a quick scroll over the games. I would love if they played Emily Is Away for the nostalgia and references and cause skype is their origin story. But I can also see that they don't wanna do more dialogue-based games - although EIA is only 2-3 videos at max, and they did do that entire terrible Horse Prince game.

Ultimate Chicken would also be hilarous, though they'd need more than 2 players. Could also be a really fun livestream. Is there an online mode for the game yet?
malday
emo goose

snokoplasmic wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm
relatablemood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:51 pm
I mean, just because there may be more people who prefer Dan doesn't mean that the portion of the Phandom that either likes Phil more or truly doesn't have a preference makes up an insignificant amount. I'm pretty sure that most of the people who donated did it purely in Phil's name, for his sake alone, as this is for his birthday. I really don't see the sense of Phil adding Dan's name in the tweet as....what, a business plan to raise more money? the original post from PhandomGives and the tweet from MakeAWish only mentions Phil and it was doing quite well, I don't believe that Phil including Dan's name in his tweet (not even tagging him!) would cause a significant increase in donations that wouldn't have happened anyway.
The money was raised by only 500 people, and before he tweeted there were about 300 donors, I think. That's a very small fraction of the phandom, it's really not that unlikely that Phil has 500 fans willing to donate solely because they like him.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

What are the chances we'll get a video tonight? I had convinced myself this week that we'd get either the memes video or a gaming video on friday, and now I'm expecting it lol. It's getting fairly late their time though, so I'm starting to lose hope for a new video today.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:50 pm What are the chances we'll get a video tonight? I had convinced myself this week that we'd get either the memes video or a gaming video on friday, and now I'm expecting it lol. It's getting fairly late their time though, so I'm starting to lose hope for a new video today.
They won’t post tonight it’s after 10 in the UK. I think that we could either get the meme video tomorrow but I’m not banking on it till maybe Tuesday, because then he won’t have to do a liveshow.... again :( With gaming videos last year the first gaming video was 20th jan. I’m guessing they both want there to be main channel videos before we get a gaming one