Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

i usually love the dan memes videos but i'm not sure why it has to be so long and honestly it's just reminding me of why i don't love dan's main channel videos. why does he say everything in such a mansplain-y voice? is it just me?

anyway he just admitted that phil took the donut photo even though he said it wasn't phil at the time. that's my main takeaway so far. i feel like he's just going through the list he created himself instead of paying attention to what the memes really were. i feel like the babadook meme was a lot bigger than some of these and it just got glazed over. :shrug:

edit: so the cake was vegan....i've been gone for a while but i remember the discussion that dan might be trying veggie/vegan again....interesting.
Last edited by sugar on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironic
lady door

7 minutes in and I'm already so annoyed by how weirdly bitter and salty he seems
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I liked it. It was much more a summary of his year featuring memes than a meme video.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
lurker
janice from the shop

plan A: spend 30 minutes to watch dan's meme video
plan B: spend 30 minutes doing nothing on the internet while people on idb watch dan's meme video, then check back to see if it's worth it

(insert that emoji with a blanket)
thank's you were great
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i waited for such a long time for this and seriously, the lady door song thingy was horrible (not horrible as in who made it but horrible as in over reacting ugh), but i did laugh at "did dan secretly..... get married????!!" yeah, funny how he left out the bit of "- to phil" because wasn't that the thing everyone was actually talking about? But yeah, i just realized this is the first year i've actually known some things, the earlier meme videos has been me just being "okay, i didn't know about this.. or that.. or this one". good or bad, idk.

// also the ending was funny, but naah. not gonna rewatch.
Last edited by auri on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

a bit underwhelming, a bit too long, and i got quite annoyed at his tone in some places, but i'm just glad that it's finally uploaded so that i can stop anticipating it haha
alch
ar·tic·u·late

last one, apparently?

this one was fine. They're always okay. I think every year they seem a little underwhelming.
Last edited by alch on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

lilabet wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 pm I liked it. It was much more a summary of his year featuring memes than a meme video.
Exactly how I took it. Someone here mentioned before how the meme videos always make him look out of touch with the audience and that was visible here… maybe its just because I loved all memes with phil this year (#vasegate). Still, I love seeing him back and out of holiday hibernation!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

lilabet wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 pm I liked it. It was much more a summary of his year featuring memes than a meme video.
Agreed!And it's cute that's like that
I liked it too, laughed and was entertained and that's all I was hoping for
kinda sad boob king didn't make it there
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

He is really playing fast and loose with the word "meme" but I guess that's nothing new. :lol: I liked it, it was a nice summary of the past year. Not a whole lot really stood out, except at some point he seemed to be dragging Phil's plaid shirts, but it made me smile. I don't really interact with the phandom much outsides of idb so it was legitimately my first time seeing some of the "memes", so I guess that's a plus?
quercussp
living flop

Really enjoyed the video, especially the slip that Phil was the one who took the donut photo. I think Dan did a great job, it was long, but entertaining, and it made me really happy.
alien
procrastinator

I loved it. I can tell he puts so much effort into these videos and I really appreciate it because all 3 of them have made me laugh and smile throughout. I also love how long they are.

The donut part did make me pause and replay though because of what he said when it was originally posted how Phil didn't take the pic...but now he's saying he did...lol ok? Idk why it matters either way but it's weird there's two versions.

I don't know if I'll ever not feel so proud of him anytime he brings up the depression video but even in this video I'm like beaming with pride for him. Again it's obvious (to me at least) just how much effort and thought he put in to that video. It was such an important video.

And lastly that ladydoor video was hilarious. I was over the ladydoor jokes at the time and felt like it got dragged on but that video is just a lot haha.

anyway, I love Dan. I wasn't feeling the drought so maybe my expectations just weren't very high but I loved this video and I am so excited for this year as far as Dan and Phil are concerned.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I liked this years video more than 2016, It was more of a recap but I don't think he seemed bitter and I am glad that next year there won't be another video. He needs to do something new now that this has been overdone.

Takeaway's like everyone else -
the donut picture slip-up (was it phil or bryony or did bryony take the picture and phil upload it for Dan?)
definitely 2 flats - actual flat they live in and filming flat are separate
Shane shade when he mentioned the rumors about getting married or getting a dog
Not only has Dan stolen some of Phil's memes but he's now trying to steal his title for #spon king
Working Phil into the video - shared channels confirmed
saffarinda
truth bomb

harsh criticisms from y’all but i really liked the vid! i tend to like meme videos tbf. had some solid memes with a nice commentary balance imo. found the editing for the “me and phil” and “phil and i” afterwards quite amusing aha, and the level of selfawareness with the “did dan get secretly married” made me uncomfortable but amused

the bahamas bit with all the analysis screenshots was funny purely due to how creepy it looked

the depression bit made me cry tbh. in the liveshow after he made the vid he said he wasn’t really scared but in the memes vid he said he was because we know how the internet can be, and it made my heart hurt for him a bit. best bit by far was when he said it was what he was proudest of doing :love1: :love1:

also that truthbombs spon was hilarious aha.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
sparkle
blobfish

'did Dan secretly get married?'

I feel personally victimised by Dan Howell
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ironic wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:41 pm 7 minutes in and I'm already so annoyed by how weirdly bitter and salty he seems
lol me, always me. Main channel video Dan is just my least favorite version of Dan.
lurker wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:54 pm plan A: spend 30 minutes to watch dan's meme video
plan B: spend 30 minutes doing nothing on the internet while people on idb watch dan's meme video, then check back to see if it's worth it

(insert that emoji with a blanket)
Underwhelming to me, as a lot of people have said, but I didn't enjoy either previous meme video so I'm not surprised or mad about it. Dan's main channel videos are usually a lot of hype and anticipation building and a slight letdown in the actual content, especially when he's playing up the "I do all these things/suffer through all of this for my fans" attitude.

And agree that I do not think he needed to make that video thirty minutes long. Even after I finished watching it, I wondered why it was so long and yet contained so few genuinely funny things. Not even a peep about Phil's vase thing or boob king, and he managed to make the lady door thing super unfunny too by making it way more about how he cringed than Phil being hilariously out of character.

But I'm glad it's out of the way so we can actually go back to getting liveshows, and hopefully some gaming channel content.
Kimship
glabella

I enjoyed it! For some reason, I tend to find it extra funny when he drags his viewers/fans. It seems both affectionate from and cathartic for him.

Also, his hair looked extra curly, which makes me especially happy.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

not like we didn't know they do that but still n'aww

and double n'awww at this one
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I didn’t mind the video at all, I did take a break half way through though to make a cup of tea because it was long. Some of the sections were really good and I think should have been a bit longer, like the week in march, bahamas and also the moving section. These are things that stick out in my mind the most and were probably the most wild on here at least. So many conspiracies and so many different ways to poke fun at yourself (which is basically what this video is). He could have taken some of the stuff out like the pastel edits section as it was slightly more uninteresting than the other bits but all in all I enjoyed it. The Pennywise/tatinof bit at the end was something I’ve not seen before and proper made me snort laugh! So funny.
forever salty though that he didn’t think wanking Dan was worth an upload!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
karma_yeah
philussy

I enjoyed it! I like watching Dan's sassy exasperation at some of the things he sees about himself (and Phil). It gives him a chance to blow off some steam in a humorous way.

Agreed he maybe used the "memes" loosely, and could have named it something more reflective of a year in review, but that didn't effect my enjoyment of it. I actually appreciated the review and it reminded me of videos I'd like to re-watch. I laughed out loud at the lady door segment. He even managed to include a cameo of Phil. And the "fireplace" going out :rofl: he looked so done :D

The length didn't bother me. It was kind of nice to hear his voice again after 3 weeks. <3 Welcome back Danny!
What goes around, comes around Image
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

pilotlight wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 am He is really playing fast and loose with the word "meme" but I guess that's nothing new. :lol: I liked it, it was a nice summary of the past year. Not a whole lot really stood out, except at some point he seemed to be dragging Phil's plaid shirts, but it made me smile. I don't really interact with the phandom much outsides of idb so it was legitimately my first time seeing some of the "memes", so I guess that's a plus?
If we're talking about that the "incredible, important content" comment about the pastel edits vid was much more of a drag :rofl:
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am
not like we didn't know they do that but still n'aww

and double n'awww at this one
awwww :hug:
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

Amiaw wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:08 am Shane shade when he mentioned the rumors about getting married or getting a dog
i literally rewatched that bit immediately bc i could hardly believe it. this moment and the bit where he dragged the fans that want pastel dan forever, made this video worth it.

also, i feel like 'lying makes you go to hell' was bigger than 'soft and neat'. but maybe that's just me
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i liked it. like lilabet said above, it seemed more like a summary of his year rather than a memes video. i laughed really hard at a lot of parts and i'm glad it was so long. it was worth the wait, in my opinion. i don't think he came off as bitter or salty at all.
:transheart:
Ewok
rainbow nerd

I am severely disappointed there was no mention of #vasegate but at the same time my demon is fully invigorated knowing that Phil took the donut picture because of course he did. :roll: :love2:

I was also shook at “did dan secretly get married” - what a drastic oversimplification of the phan wedding theories there lmfao.

Have to agree that Dan’s main channel content is my least fav because of how much he plays up that dinof persona, but even with his branding cranked up to 11, I still enjoyed it. I’ll never really complain about having him on my screen for 30 mins because I’m flaming hot garbage who just enjoys watching him talk. I’m glad he’s back and I’m really looking forward to 2018 with them :)
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
citizen_erased
truth bomb

I enjoyed that video. My memory and sense of time are absolute shit, so for me there was a lot of "wait that happened last year???". Plus I didn't join this forum until halfway through the year and I'm not active in the phandom anywhere else so I had no idea about memes or edits or videos. The Pennywise video really cracked me up, I'd never seen that before :lol:

I can see how some people find this version of Dan really annoying, but personally, I really liked it. I really appreciate how he's not all "I love you guys! You're amazing! Love you forever uwu!" at us but basically just goes "all you fuckers had this coming and you knew it" :rofl: it's a different way of treating your audience and I, for one, love it <3