Dan & Phil Part 65: Phabergé

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

that video... not really invested in the sims series, but i couldn't stop looking at phil basically glued to dan. not complaining though! it was adorable! i was waiting for a "no homo, bro" moment but? no.
also, way to kick me in the face with the 2009 phil shirt reference.
:happytears:
edit: top of the page again what
Last edited by ratlad on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

They are not going the lowkey route with devan at all but I am living for seeing them execute a m/m romance in a video series. I realize skeptics will paint it like they're caving to fan demands but this is literally the normalization for queer teenagers I want to exist, I want this in the world, I want their influence in making it a super normal no big deal kind of thing to do. I want to think that teens or even preteens just randomly finding Sims videos online might see this and it might help shape them the way the few pieces of queer media that were floating around when I was younger helped me. Anyway, that got mushier than I expected, now I'm gonna go watch it again to actually take notes on Dan and Phil stuff.
tyhane
delia smith

That was actually surprisingly entertaining. Though I don't know if that's just because I've really been craving a video, lol. (I'm not at all one of those people that's been getting worried or annoyed about less content, I've just had personal shit happening and could really use the distraction.) I'm still not the biggest fan of the Sims series, and tbh the whole Dab/Evan thing doesn't spark any new interest at all. I mean, I can appreciate it in the sense of it being a "step" or whatever you'd want to call it (basically, +1 to all alittledizzy said :lol: ), but idk, I'm still not feeling excited for the series or anything like that. But yeah, a nice video, won't be rewatching, but I'm satisfied.
Ewok
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:14 pm They are not going the lowkey route with devan at all but I am living for seeing them execute a m/m romance in a video series. I realize skeptics will paint it like they're caving to fan demands but this is literally the normalization for queer teenagers I want to exist, I want this in the world, I want their influence in making it a super normal no big deal kind of thing to do. I want to think that teens or even preteens just randomly finding Sims videos online might see this and it might help shape them the way the few pieces of queer media that were floating around when I was younger helped me. Anyway, that got mushier than I expected, now I'm gonna go watch it again to actually take notes on Dan and Phil stuff.
I think this may be what got me most excited about the entire Devan thing - I’m glad they didn’t overexplain/justify or make any jokes about the two being romantic - they just let it happen. :) Normalizing queer relationships in any capacity always gets a big thumbs up from me. They could have chose not to let it happen, but they did, so yes, I’m content now Dan. :tu:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I'm not a huge fan of the sims (I usually enjoy the videos, but they're not usually my favourite of all their vids), but I liked this video. I enjoy the house decorating and clothing change videos a lot, since the get to discuss with each other and we get to see their kinda bickering/compromising in action.

It was pretty much a given that they were gonna go the Dab/Evan route, but I'm surprised how quick they're going at it. They're keeping it pretty natural now, just treating it like any other couple (which they should! but a couple years ago I think there would have been a lot more awkwardness around it). I'm happy that they're going to put such a natural, queer relationship on their channel. It's great for representation, and I trust them to do it right and keep everything normal so that kids/teens watching won't even think twice about it being a queer relationship and just see it as the norm.

Furry talk: lmao Phil's look at 22:30 after the cat drawing and "maybe that is... Evan." His head snapped up so fast when he realized what he'd just said. Because he didn't say, 'maybe that's supposed to represent Evan' or something along those lines, he said maybe that is Evan. I know a lot of people think the furry talk is just all jokes, but this felt like a genuine 'furry' moment to me. Like, how he could see the picture of the cat being Evan, like that it was normal to automatically draw a person (especially a crush) as an animal. I'm suddenly picturing him doodling Dan as a cat or something back in 2009. Phil just looked so awkward after he said that, all shifty eyes.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That was fun, especially their comments on the clothes (do they realise the new clothes are totally random when a sim ages up?) It’s funny how they went on about the kids expressing themselves, not keeping the bunny slippers tradition, but still being dressed like an artist or nerd. Dab’s new wallpaper reminds me of the Slender forest, but it’s pretty cool. I loved the overlapping translucent circles rug. There have always been gigantic objects you try to buy and realise can’t fit in your house, either build bigger or move the swimming pool, guys, idk what else to tell you.

I was curious about Dan’s pyjamas too, Game of Thrones sounds likely, though I can’t find them. Also I saw a video last week about the science of wanting to squish and bite cute babies and animals, not that I can remember which channel it was on now.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

That was a good video! I like the redecorating and the looks Phil kept giving Dan whoops
:transheart:
susan2
rainbow nerd

autumnhearth wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33 pm I also liked his pj bottoms (which just reminded me of Dan suggesting Phil go off with PJ to have their weird cloud lamps) slash lounge pants at th end. (I think they are Game of Thrones? I saw a lion, wolves and stag, all stylized and heraldic.)
flarequake wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 pm I was curious about Dan’s pyjamas too, Game of Thrones sounds likely, though I can’t find them.
https://www.dropdead.co/products/sigils-joggers
possibly? (I know nothing about Game of Thrones!)
Ewok
rainbow nerd

susan2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 am
autumnhearth wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33 pm I also liked his pj bottoms (which just reminded me of Dan suggesting Phil go off with PJ to have their weird cloud lamps) slash lounge pants at th end. (I think they are Game of Thrones? I saw a lion, wolves and stag, all stylized and heraldic.)
flarequake wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 pm I was curious about Dan’s pyjamas too, Game of Thrones sounds likely, though I can’t find them.
Why am I not surprised Dan is still wearing Dropdead in the year 2018? Once an emo kid, always an emo kid I guess. :lol:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
ratlad
angel bean

Skylar wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 pm That was a good video! I like the redecorating and the looks Phil kept giving Dan whoops
lustful lester
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Oh yeah, that’s them. It’s hard to know the right words to search, joggers didn’t occur to me. I bet they were a Christmas present.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Video was okay, mostly uneventful though I do somewhat live for watching people create sims idk why
Honestly, I'd forgotten they had a dog in this game until someone brought it up. They're not great at taking care of their sims
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i really enjoyed the video, more than i enjoy sims videos normally, but GOD is dab's everyday outfit ugly. and your teen clothes stay the same through adulthood and old age, so unless they change them those are his permanent clothes. fuck. i cannot believe dan and phil are going to force that horrifying image upon my eyes for the remainder of the sims series. unbelievable.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

Usually not a fan of their Sims videos but honestly I'll take it, I actually liked this one quite a bit; I can see myself getting more into this series if the Dab/Evan relationship keeps getting developed. (I hated most of their outfit choices too, just FYI.) Is it just me or is it just unnatural how they've been playing the Sims? It feels like things get dragged out forever, and they don't spend much time advancing the characters themselves/accomplishing things. maybe it's just me idk :shrug: but overall this video was nice enough, I've had a day so it was nice to come home and watch this!

Oh, and welcome back blackdenim, I've missed seeing you around here! (and yes, I also don't get how they still don't know what makes something pastel)
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

I'm currently grieving bc Dan cut off his beautiful, beautiful hair. RIP it looked SO good, I was hoping he'd just shave the sides and leave the top longer. Oh well, hair grows right?
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:14 pm They are not going the lowkey route with devan at all but I am living for seeing them execute a m/m romance in a video series. I realize skeptics will paint it like they're caving to fan demands but this is literally the normalization for queer teenagers I want to exist, I want this in the world, I want their influence in making it a super normal no big deal kind of thing to do. I want to think that teens or even preteens just randomly finding Sims videos online might see this and it might help shape them the way the few pieces of queer media that were floating around when I was younger helped me. Anyway, that got mushier than I expected, now I'm gonna go watch it again to actually take notes on Dan and Phil stuff.
This this this!!! I love, and i agree that they're definitely not trying to be subtle about it. I'm pretty sure they mentioned about people shipping them in the sims video after that started being a thing people were discussing. Or at least tweeted about it. So since then i've pretty much expected that they'd do something with it when Dab and Evan got older.
susan2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 am
I love these! I would almost be tempted to buy them, but I don't have it in me to spend that much money on a pair of sweatpants :lol: I secretely hope that Dan has the whole set and not just the joggers, he would look so cute in it.

I also am so happy that Dan referenced that Emo Kid song from way back in the day. I say that same quote all the time and no one ever knows what i'm talking about :lol:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Phil talking about his dad and the £10 shirt thing (unless i missed it). Seems like Phil got his Capita£ester tendencies from his dad. Also i think it's interesting because in addition to some comments he's made in the past, it paints his dad out to be a pretty strict, by-the-book kind of guy. Interesting to see how that could have molded Phil into the guy we know today -- he seemed to pick up some qualities such as the thriftiness, but in other way seems like the complete opposite of his dad.
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
neetbuzzer
delia smith
Pronouns: he/him/tired

hey y'all long time no post

so the sims 4 video! I thought it was cute. it went by quickly (as in seemed short, not was short), which is always a plus and def not something to take for granted in any kind of gaming video context unfortunately.

I agree that it promotes a really kind of... nonchalant normalization of m/m stuff and I'm really hoping they don't jump around all over with other ~romance~ options tbh. like the process of finding Tabitha was hectic enough lmao I don't want a part 2! but that's just me

I got sims 4 last year and oh man. it's... much easier to make a non ridiculous house than I assumed it would be based on their videos, god bless. also teen sims have a Mess Around option in lieu of a WooHoo option which I think is funny (bc it clearly IS a WooHoo; when those sims age up into WooHoo-able territory, you don't get the first time notification. so basically Mess Around is a mini WooHoo. a WooHoot, if you will. anyway).
soooo this is late af and apologies bc it's not the most uplifting topic, but I was a bit taken aback by Dan's response to the Logan Paul thing? like... I get that people shouldn't have to decry every awful thing ever but something about it being framed in the context of "petty youtube drama" (I know he wasn't saying it WAS) chapped my ass a little. it just. idk. I also get not wanting to delve too deeply into that rabbit hole if you've ever experienced depression (I couldn't watch commentary videos with the actual unedited footage, for instance), but like.... damn. it left a not exactly bad but. weird? taste in my mouth. I was just very unpleasantly surprised, enough so that I logged on here to awkwardly mention it 90 years late smh.
ImageImage
no one would talk to you on fur affinity
neetbuzzer
delia smith
Pronouns: he/him/tired

apologies for the potential double post! was too late to edit, fuck. my ass-chappery was from
^^^tw for discussion of Logan Paul's many failures

sorry :number1:

and because the thought of leaving such a bald would-be edit seems Not Great, I wanted to belatedly agree with everyone who loves the house reno/fashion sims vids! idk why but I just adore them <3 although yes, the "I'm too cool, hella art school" starter outfit for Dab is appalling. like wtf Dan what kind of fake ass art angst are you perpetuating rn? I don't know why I'm surprised though, I mean I saw their Love Nikki video. :roll: I don't understand how two people can have (in my opinion) decent fashion sense and then make those poor pixels wear the sartorial equivalent of a day old Bloody Mary that's been garnished with someone's cigarette. like. wtf. Dan even makes some avant garde (SORT OF okay work with me here) choices so why tf do they make those poor sims suffer?

and whelpkeeper I think it's odd too how they aren't advancing them! I mean don't get me wrong, I don't want them to speed through everything and then bam here's your ghost, but they do make the game seem much harder than it actually is. have they ever gotten the high needs moodlet? christ. it's giving me flashbacks to when they couldn't figure out why Dab was being a stampy angry hell toddler (BECAUSE HE NEEDS FOOD, YA DWEEBS). managing more than 3 sims at a time isn't very relaxing but it's not impossible. and I really don't get the "let's ignore yellow in favor of red" approach to the needs bar(s), omg. Like yeah Dab needs to sleep but he also needs to pee & eat and those are much more quickly sorted wtf.

why is this the kind of stuff that makes me anxious smh

I loved the shout out to the emo song too, KatjaZoe! I am 99% sure I still have the mp3 floating around on an ancient music player, haha.
ImageImage
no one would talk to you on fur affinity
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Having previously been a fairly hardcore Sims player, it is funny seeing people point out how little they make their Sims do (I don’t tend to notice, didn’t even notice Dan’s hair was different). I’ve had houses of all sizes up to 8, I used to merge them to save time changing households, I had so many Sims, and it’s still possible to keep them skilling up so they get promoted and fulfill their wants. Also used to matchmake them all until I ended up with just a few singletons who I actually felt sorry for, I was that invested (I wanted everyone’s DNA to pass down so I was pretty heteronormative too).

These days I’m more like a mum of 8 who’s done being strict, I just motherlode five times for a nice house, buy them everything (always check for a fire alarm in the kitchen), sit back and watch, and only interrupt to tell them to work on a skill. In Sims 2 they had to make phone calls to all their friends every day to keep their friendships above 50 out of 100 since they’d get a message from each friend when it dropped below, asking if they were ever gonna talk again, damn pixel-guilt, and all promotions had a required number of friends.

But then I wasn’t being entertaining for other people. I recorded an intro once after capturing myself making a family and it felt so weird. Then I had 200GBs raw footage I finally deleted, I wonder how many YouTubers keep all their original stuff. Deps are more showcasing some features of each life-stage at this point. I think they could take time to manage what each Sim needs for their wants and work, they might find the kids need to be told to do homework cos the game will react if their grades get low (in Sims 1 they actually got removed from the game entirely to go to military school). There are quite a few things teens can do socially and I’m guessing they can go to more places by themselves, though I haven’t played 4 enough to know. Mess Around is new, before the highlight was First Kiss and even going to prom in Sims 3 wasn’t such an event cos the way they made that one, you didn’t see them inside all the buildings.

They might be doing that between filming, I don’t know if anyone has ever gone back to compare how their screen looks when they finish a video to when they unpause at the start of the next one. Updating the game either with a stuff or expansion pack, or just a general update, does weird things like leave the Sims all standing outside the house. In 2 they used to turn up there and with all their needs in the green except bladder which was always half-yellow. I found it hilarious that time the Howlters were all standing outside in the middle of the night when they loaded the game and the guys freaked out. There’ve been a few things like that where I’ve wondered how much they read (there are a ton of fansites with all the info) and whether Phil remembers much of playing Sims 2 as he said he did.

They did spend half this video furnishing room and dressing the Sims, though, and watching them all reading to skill-up or do homework isn’t the most exciting for a video, though there are plenty of activities for skilling like painting or mixing drinks, even joking with each other now for the mischief skill. There used to only be 7 skills, times sure have changed :P It’s handy when building a skill fulfills a need too, a lot don’t count for fun and most did nothing for the social need, but joking for mischief is a good one for that. It can backfire, though, like going in too early with hand-holding, though that makes it interesting. If you play it carefully and slowly you can pretty much guarantee a friendship or relationship. Get it wrong and they can hate each other so much they used to jump into a dust-cloud fighting each other on sight, that was hard to come back from.
liola
rankussy

I actually really liked the Sims video, even though I've been kinda maeh about it lately, but I'm also one of those weirdos that love watching building and CAS videos lol

Loved the absolute lack of space between them and love how it's almost a given now. Also really loved that they went with the Devan storyline, I knew they were considering it but the way it lacked jokes or heteronormativity is truly a breath of fresh air. This wouldn't have happened in 2014.

They also looked lovely <3
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i want to timestamp this video so bad, i'm just too tired (and hot gaahhh this weather).

LOVE that the hand kissing moment was so low key; it wasn't the star of the video, for all the reasons @alittledizzy stated. i actually enjoyed the majority of it for completely separate reasons, which i don't often have a lot of with the sims series. love anytime they decorate or choose outfits, showing their taste and personality. loved the adolescent reminiscence, any content feels immediately more personable when youtubers allow themselves to get into tangents like that, the way you do in conversations off camera. the furry stuff was again endearing to see - as whatdoiknow said, it felt like it came from a genuine place to me and importantly i think, not immediately in a sexualised context.

what i will say about Devan (is this the portmanteau now? lol), because I've been outspoken in the past about their sims gameplay:
the only thing i feel tentative about is whether they'll use the same language that they used for dil's flirtations this time around, if they decide to take it further. it was a bit of an odd jump from the boys being friends up until this point, to hand kissing (that went badly, no less), with no real addressing it with context, until phil said a minute or two later that teenagers should take it slow, and dab probably thinking hand kissing may not be the best 'first move'. i understand why, however - they both had nervous reactions. dan especially, started talking a mile a minute. i think less to distract viewers toward the alien thing and moreso that was just his way of getting through the newness of the moment initially. this is why i loved the video, though. they were obviously treading new territory and yet they didn't make it weird, and they didn't edit that section heavily, and they hinted it could be a pairing they'd explore and not an anomaly for the laughs. they've come a really long way since ignoring the male character's bars shooting up when dil was dating, and directing him towards female characters only. it sounds condescending, but i feel really proud. even if the characters don't hit it off and dab and evan don't get together, this episode still made me feel good, when past ones had made me feel really shit, as a queer person. i hope it made them feel good making it, too.
art in avatar by lily
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Yes, this! I really hope they'll come through with it for these exact reasons. I feel like they tried to keep it vague in this video ("We're only doing this to divert Evan's attention away from Dalien!", "I only clicked it because the game made it an option") but I hope they'll include Devan for real. I don't even care if they just do it because the fans want them to, the outcome would still be the same.
dancy
procrastinator

I like the Sims series but the whole redecorating/choosing outfits thing is a bit boring to me. I do like that they're paying more attention to Dab and Evan and their relationship though, which will hopefully end up well.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that I don't think the video will keep people satisfied for very long. It'll probably take some days until the next video and I'm not expecting any live shows this week, though maybe next week if either of them upload a main channel video. People are bound to start complaining again about D&P being inactive or showing a lack of interaction (I have no problem with such complaints myself). The thing is, they're not necessarily being inactive in terms of their uploading schedule at the moment, there's been about 4-6 days between each gaming video and 2 Phil videos and 1 Dan video last month. None of that is unusual for them but something does feel off because there's just not a lot else going on right now. December was full of content and tweets because of Gamingmas, in November they released the dog calendar, announced the tour and did PINOF 9, in October we had Daniel and Depression, Spooky Week, Halloween Baking, the release of Truth Bombs etc etc. And of course, they did live shows a lot more often, as well as gaming live streams. Nothing particularly exciting is happening at the moment and the fact that there's also little live content doesn't leave a lot of room for interaction between them and their audience and it leaves people clueless as to what to expect from them, especially since they'd occasionally let us know what's coming up next during live shows.

I believe everyone knows they're working on the tour but we don't know exactly what they're doing and how much time they're spending on it. We don't have to know everything they're doing but it has lead to people asking why they can't reply to tweets more or do more live shows. Videos are fun but they're usually void of any sort of life update. Maybe I'm not making sense but the point is that people are upset and I wish D&P would communicate with their audience better. I don't necessarily mean that as in giving the people what they want aka more interaction again (which would be lovely though) but more something along the lines of making it clear that they're really busy or whatever and being more reassuring, so people would understand the lack of interactivity more because I don't see that changing much in the next two months. You could say all of that is not a part of their job and technically it isn't but it's still important for them to connect to their audience.
autumnhearth
senpai

Katka wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:36 pm
Yes, this! I really hope they'll come through with it for these exact reasons. I feel like they tried to keep it vague in this video ("We're only doing this to divert Evan's attention away from Dalien!", "I only clicked it because the game made it an option") but I hope they'll include Devan for real. I don't even care if they just do it because the fans want them to, the outcome would still be the same.
As long as they don’t say they are doing it for fan service. I think they are doing well so far and agree with everything dizzy and mermaidblood said.

@flarequake that’s all really interesting. Do you have other content on YT? It’s been years since I’ve played any version of the Sims. The only thing I really remember was having a big house full of ethnically diverse lesbian models who were all making out with each other. :?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

dancy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:50 pmI don't necessarily mean that as in giving the people what they want aka more interaction again (which would be lovely though) but more something along the lines of making it clear that they're really busy or whatever and being more reassuring, so people would understand the lack of interactivity more because I don't see that changing much in the next two months. You could say all of that is not a part of their job and technically it isn't but it's still important for them to connect to their audience.
I think my issue is that I don't see how they could be more communicative about what they're doing, since they've literally both said that they're in tour planning mode right now. And it's not like they said that two months ago; it was less than a week ago for Phil, who reiterated what Dan had already said to us. He talked about tour design and how they're into that part of the planning stage, gave us a description of how lengthy that process is (three hour meetings) and what they next step was (the minis) and how excited he is for that. He talked about how they're still trying to get the dates, he even said he hopes to be able to share some of that with us though I assume they're not gonna share things until it's either a) rejected ideas or b) something they've settled for sure and odn't mind spoiling... but anyway, basically, I don't feel remotely in the dark about their life. We know what Phil did for his birthday, and the night before his birthday. We got great detail about how that went. We saw the cake. We saw what Dan got him. We know they're watching The Crown, we know Phil finished Zelda. We just aren't getting daily updates because the things they're working on are for us to see in four or five months, not immediately. But I'm also baffled as to why that feels different for people because they've literally never given us daily updates on big projects while they're working on the project. The only thing I can think is that you're right and it's just a super hard adjustment for people coming off of how highlight-filled the end of the year always is, from Spooky week on. Phandom doesn't have that touchstone of "we get [this video/event] in [this amount of time]" since tour is still three months away.

(Coming back to edit this to add that when I say I don't feel in the dark about their life I just mean I feel like we are getting the same amount of information that we always have, not that I feel like I know the daily ins and outs. I just don't think we ever knew that so it's a weird standard for everyone to suddenly en masse be applying.)
hello9217
flower crown

dancy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:50 pm
I believe everyone knows they're working on the tour but we don't know exactly what they're doing and how much time they're spending on it. We don't have to know everything they're doing but it has lead to people asking why they can't reply to tweets more or do more live shows. Videos are fun but they're usually void of any sort of life update. Maybe I'm not making sense but the point is that people are upset and I wish D&P would communicate with their audience better. I don't necessarily mean that as in giving the people what they want aka more interaction again (which would be lovely though) but more something along the lines of making it clear that they're really busy or whatever and being more reassuring, so people would understand the lack of interactivity more because I don't see that changing much in the next two months. You could say all of that is not a part of their job and technically it isn't but it's still important for them to connect to their audience.
Especially since they are totally aware that people are upset. The tags on the video link posted on Tumblr were "content" and "are you content." An hour before the video got posted yesterday people on twitter were going off at deppy. I think the big topics were saying that they are turning into big youtubers who don't talk to their audience, they are doing the bare minimum, and by getting rid of live shows they are making themselves more impersonal. Some arguments I think were justified while others weren't but deppy could literally clear this up by posting a tweet or even if Dan does a ls and just talks about everything that's going on at the moment and discusses how busy they are. That sims video had to be filmed at least 5 days ago so why did it take them so long to post it? They literally posted it right at the peak of when a lot of people were getting really pissed off.