Dan & Phil Part 65: Phabergé

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
snokoplasmic
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

Stakhanov wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 pm Also the Make a Wish foundation should call Phil everyday until he agrees to take up a cause too. I'm not sure what's keeping Phil from championing a cause of his own, but it's blasphemous and the world could be a slightly better place if he did. Find your voice Philip ! :love1:
I mean, I understand the sentiment, but I don't think anyone should be obligated to do something like that -- unless they're extremely passionate about it and dedicated, it's not really the same
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I think you're right Dia, but i've never come to like them so much for the great, regular vloggers they are, but like them despite their spotty commitment to youtube.
If they really aren't compensating the outflow with an new influx of viewers anymore, it's a matter of time before youtube becomes a side project and they are (forced to) move to greener pastures. If they still need too, they've earned more than enough to live their life in financial freedom and can spin this out for at least a couple of years with a wildly successful tour, merch, dwindling youtube income etc.
If they are maturing from youtube and quietly saying their goodbyes I would think it's less of an economically motivated decision and more that they may feel completely burned out. In many ways, they've been doing exactly the same thing for 9 years now and a lot of prominent youtubers have talked about feeling burned out.
I would hope that whatever direction they gave to their carreer still means we retain the rather personal (illusion of) a connection that drew me in in the first place.
But I also think we're rushing way ahead of the facts i'm not so sure yet their future isn't centered around youtube and it feels more like a repeat of history to me.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

snokoplasmic wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm
Stakhanov wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 pm Also the Make a Wish foundation should call Phil everyday until he agrees to take up a cause too. I'm not sure what's keeping Phil from championing a cause of his own, but it's blasphemous and the world could be a slightly better place if he did. Find your voice Philip ! :love1:
I mean, I understand the sentiment, but I don't think anyone should be obligated to do something like that -- unless they're extremely passionate about it and dedicated, it's not really the same
You're right I don't want him to do it against his will it's just that i think he might agree that he should do it and in many ways wants to but is maybe held beck by some other things. There's gotta be some other stuff that they do that they kind of want to drag their feet on (spon video's can't feel that great to make, even if they manage to turn in interesting vids) so yea, i think he should at least give it a try.
But so far he hasn't so who knows maybe he's only interested in hookers and blow off-camera ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Stakhanov wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:33 pm But so far he hasn't so who knows maybe he's only interested in hookers and blow off-camera ;)
:lol: that's why he pushes the merch so hard, that lifestyle ain't cheap
vincentian
hobbit hair

I don't have much to add to the conversation, except yes, it sounds a lot like the one that happened when TATINOF was in the works. Whatever future D&P are laying foundation for now, becoming buddies with Prince William seems like a good move, well-done Dan! :tu:

Not to, like, try to focus on ~positives or some crap like that, but it feels like I've forever been waiting for them to 'grow up' in many ways and do bigger, better things. So if this is maybe what's happening now, I am interested to see where it leads. Even if it means that as a fan I'm getting nothing and the distance between them and us is growing bigger.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

000dia000 wrote:
They have been slowly ghosting us for some time now. Their views have been averaging out at 600K-800K and I'm sceptical if using the "algorithm" as an excuse. Even if they have the same number of fans, they aren't gaining any new ones. They're maturing from YouTube and I don't think people have realized that. In five years time I don't think there will be a phandom like there is now, if this is the kind of effort and energy that deppy are applying. This tour won't be a resurgence, but more of a finality. If they're spending this much time planning it, I just hope it's good.
I love to speculate because it has been boring so talking about the layout of the flat or future plans helps fill the time but I really agree with this.

Deps have been ghosting the audience, it started becoming noticeable in March/April of last year and now it’s pretty apparent that they aren’t that engaged with their audience. They might still be putting out gaming videos and tweeting quirky things but there’s no build-up or excitement. Where is the community post that Phil talked about in the wikihow video? Where are the tweets hyping their videos? Phil hasn’t really tried to push his last video and his last 2 main channel videos are 800-900k views.
If they are trying to slowly phase out I get that they can’t say anything until after the tour is over- don’t want to ruin their cash cow- but I hope this is just a rut and not how they intend to do it because that would be sad
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And obviously, the best response/reply:
DatCog
blobfish

Dan's birthday fundraising drive is up and running! Hopefully we can raise lots and lots of money for Young Minds before Dan's 27th in June :D
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

I'm just so ridiculously happy right now my heart is full of love 💛💛💛 Damn it Dan literally made my day today.
He's glowing in those pictures. He just looks so in his element to me is incredible. What a good impression he is making I'm so so proud.

Also guys I think the first speech with Prince William and Dodie is up on youtube!! If anyone wants to watch it, I'll go look for it now.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

DatCog wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 pm Dan's birthday fundraising drive is up and running! Hopefully we can raise lots and lots of money for Young Minds before Dan's 27th in June :D
Haha, you beat me to it. Thanks though. I love the enthusiasm of this forum. The first comment on the tweet is someone being snarky and I was like WTF have you even read the post?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
DatCog
blobfish

lilabet wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:03 pm
DatCog wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 pm Dan's birthday fundraising drive is up and running! Hopefully we can raise lots and lots of money for Young Minds before Dan's 27th in June :D
Haha, you beat me to it. Thanks though. I love the enthusiasm of this forum. The first comment on the tweet is someone being snarky and I was like WTF have you even read the post?
Got to capitalise on the fondness for Daniel today ha ha!

Ugh how can anyone get snarky about it though? It's not even 6 months, it's just over 4 so they're talking rubbish!
sonicgreen
woodland creature

yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:01 pm Also guys I think the first speech with Prince William and Dodie is up on youtube!! If anyone wants to watch it, I'll go look for it now.
I think this is it? Definitely going on my to-do list for later today, I love “Professional” Dan.
Edit: theres a few other tiny videos with Dan on the channel if anyone is interested. (super brief cameos or 30-second clips)

so_cheesy
butt chair

Wow I missed so many things.

I said it before and I will say it again: people need to accept that DP have a career outside Youtube. They obivously won't be flirting on camera with whiskers on their faces for the rest of their lives. They are evolving and using their influence for good things and probably working on cool stuff in this very moment too that we just don't know about yet.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I will be another one to add to the list of people who are disappointed about the lack of live shows. @rizzo covered it all for me, I liked the organisation of my week and when I knew I would get some content from them and now it feels a shame that we don’t really know much. Compared to how much content we had when I first got into them this feels so bare and minimal but tbh I know they are organising a lot of tour stuff behind the scenes and they’ll be putting their all into the show so am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Seeing those images and videos of Dan today also remind me there are lots of things going on behind the scenes that they can’t tell us about.

I do wish they’d tweet a bit more and would love it if they planned a rota like someone tweeted so we still had stuff to look forwards to without having to sit and wait for content but I’m going to be happy for tonight seeing as 4 years down the line I finally got a reply from dan on twitter
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I really wish Dan had partnered up with Mind rather than YoungMinds. Mind does so many things for so many people, including under 18s in some areas, but YoungMinds? Nothing but a bit of information on the site that you could find anywhere, and oh some training for schools that young people aren't able to acquire themselves. What about arts and craft groups for local teens with mental health issues? What about cafes and helplines and mentors? I'm just a little put out. Dan's doing great, but he's an adult, he doesn't know just how much good they do, because he's never used it. Ughh. Don't mind me, just sulking because I'm feeling down about the lack of support anyways, and I'm super glad he's talking about mental health, partnership or not.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Dan :love1: :love1: :love1: What a lovely thing to be involved with, I am proud of him :')
fancybum wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:26 pm I'm pretty sure this is all anybody is upset over and nowhere in that disappointment is a demand for their personal information? All I'm seeing is people expressing their own disappointment and being told they're hysterical for it (and to not feel entitled to personal information...?). Like I'm disappointed that liveshows are not a thing anymore (and still a bit angry with Phil for taking his sweet ass time before dropping that bomb (especially because it was expected, so like, just fucking do it and get it over with- honestly that lingering annoyance is definitely colouring any other negative feelings I'm currently stewing in and that's a personal choice lol). rizzo explained it well (or at least it made me go 'ohhh that's it') with just feeling a bit at sea with "nothing really to look forward to" or expect in the way that we've gotten so used to this past year (with gamingmas being the cherry on top of a great year communication and content wise). But yes they're definitely uploading mostly as regularly as ever on the gaming channel, I think it's just a restless feeling with not getting regular liveshow updates on their non-gaming channel lives. I know the line now is that sporadic liveshows will be better because they'll actually have things to talk about, but those will be highlights. Getting regular liveshows, even when they don't have things to talk about because they said it all last week, or one said it all a few days ago, could at least lead to some unexpected places-- or even completely expected places and that vibe of 'did you already hear this story?' or 'have I talked about this before' was a nice feeling. Maybe just in hindsight, because you never know how good you have it until it's gone. Now they'll come in with a list of highlights to go over to fill the time, so it will feel even more scripted than they've felt in the past. But probably less waffle talk, so I guess the lesson is, as always, be careful what you wish for.

And anyway I'd like everybody to check their 'I'm going to see the tour so this will all be worth it for me in a few months" privilege (mostly..joking..) because getting shafted on the (false, I know) ~intimacy of liveshows in exchange for nothing greater than annoying M&G photos and touristy instagrams and shitty secret videos of the show (OH I'M GONNA WATCH THE BOOTLEGS D&P EAT ME) isn't a good trade. And I know it doesn't need to be a fair trade, boo hoo, life's not fair, everybody will disappoint you, everything turns to ash blah blah never expect anything good because then you're the dumbass. It's just that I started the new year trying to be positive (first mistake) and so each little papercut just hurt a little bit more than it would have if I just expected nothing. So that's my bad. Feb 8, 2018, the day I officially stopped hoping for better because to do so is just a growing hysteria. Damn you, uterus.

I totally understand wanting to take a step back; I was happy for them when they moved and honestly would have preferred they shared less of their new place and now expect them to probably share very little (or none) of wherever they end up after they move again, whenever that may be. But being happy for them doesn't have to translate to being happy for me. Good for them if they decided that weekly liveshows is too much interaction than they'd like to have, but I still get to feel shitty about such a longstanding area of content I enjoyed getting the knife. And there's nothing to be done except deal with it (or move on completely, but I'm not there quite yet), but the inbetween time before actually having dealt with it is what's happening here. Everybody needs to readjust and everybody is doing that in their own ways, and if one of those ways is having a little group vent on twitter (if it's not actually @ D&P..) then :shrug: . Feelings aren't mutually exclusive or black and white. But having them at all is probably just another product of hysteria and I'm going to follow Phil's lead and robot up a bit better. No feelings, no preferences, no expectations and just drink the rusty oil you're handed, no questions. I'll work on it.
1. I am not going to Interactive Introverts so I have no Interactive Introverts privilege lmao. I'm not at all looking forward to the potential tour drought that's still to come, so I don't really know what that has to do with anything?

2. I'm definitely not chalking any emotional reaction down to "hysteria". I have a uterus, I feel very passionately about people with uteruses being demonised for their emotions, that literally has nothing to with anything at all. I clearly said multiple times that I completely understand, sympathise with, and even feel myself, the sadness and upset at liveshows stopping. What I don't understand is what I've seen on twitter - outrage, and demanding they do better. If that's not what you've been doing, then I wasn't talking about you at all.

I don't know if you even actually read my post, but where in my post did I disagree with this: "But being happy for them doesn't have to translate to being happy for me. Good for them if they decided that weekly liveshows is too much interaction than they'd like to have, but I still get to feel shitty about such a longstanding area of content I enjoyed getting the knife." That's essentially what I was saying - that of course we get to feel sad about it, I just don't understand the people decrying Dan and Phil's shitty work ethic and acting outraged/hard done by etc.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

relatablemood wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 pm
I really wish Dan had partnered up with Mind rather than YoungMinds. Mind does so many things for so many people, including under 18s in some areas, but YoungMinds? Nothing but a bit of information on the site that you could find anywhere, and oh some training for schools that young people aren't able to acquire themselves. What about arts and craft groups for local teens with mental health issues? What about cafes and helplines and mentors? I'm just a little put out. Dan's doing great, but he's an adult, he doesn't know just how much good they do, because he's never used it. Ughh. Don't mind me, just sulking because I'm feeling down about the lack of support anyways, and I'm super glad he's talking about mental health, partnership or not.
I actually agree with you in some respects. However Young Minds is very specifically for young people with mental health issues and support for their parents. I think Dan is working with them because he felt like this was something that he needed as a teenager, and most of their audience is still young. The organisation seems to do a lot more behind the scenes with getting young people involved in the healthcare system and training people on how to deal specifically with youth mental health. You can see some of their work here https://youngminds.org.uk/what-we-do/our-projects/
Also, I just noticed they are affiliated with Heads Together- the royals mental health charity initiative which he is working with. I think the work he is doing with Young Minds is how he is getting in the door there.

Also something to consider. While Mind is a great charity, he may be able to do more with Young Minds. What would he be able to do with other charities? Maybe they only wanted him to raise money whereas this charity allows him to actually do presentations and visit schools.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Dan doing charity stuff today is so heartwarming <3 <3 <3 A nice change in topic -- I was not a fan of all the negativity going on, it really seems like half of you guys don't even like deppy anymore. It makes me sad. Especially when what seems like so much of the phandom (not just here) are saying the boys are not good at their jobs, when they work so hard -- you can really tell they take their jobs seriously imo. ANYWAY, I won't get too far into my opinion cause i just said i was not here for the negativity :lol:
sonicgreen wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 pm
I'm dying, i'm dead, i'm deceased. He is absolutely glowing. Beautiful man. <3
sonicgreen wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 pm
Is it just me or is that girl in the second pic looking at Dan like he's a snack? :lol: Same girl, same.
pilotlight wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 pm
Stakhanov wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:33 pm But so far he hasn't so who knows maybe he's only interested in hookers and blow off-camera ;)
:lol: that's why he pushes the merch so hard, that lifestyle ain't cheap
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: My new favorite dnp conspiracy theory
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I was just watching back old dan videos because what better way to spend a Thursday night (and omg it's like watching a different person, but I'm still so endeared by him). Anyways, here's a totally irrelevant post, but the forum's slow tonight and I found this amusing:

At 3:00 in his "ENVY" video, he's joking and says, "I think I'm just healthily motivated, so I don't need to see a therapist....yet." I'm just amused by the foreshadowing and irony.

I want to stress that this post isn't meant to trivialize therapy, make fun of Dan, etc etc etc. It's just a little thing I found amusing. (and also, now that I think about it, kind of curious if Dan was thinking about therapy at this point or if that was a complete throwaway joke. It was about 2 years before he started seeking help.)
neetbuzzer
delia smith
Pronouns: he/him/tired

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 am I was just watching back old dan videos because what better way to spend a Thursday night (and omg it's like watching a different person, but I'm still so endeared by him). Anyways, here's a totally irrelevant post, but the forum's slow tonight and I found this amusing:

At 3:00 in his "ENVY" video, he's joking and says, "I think I'm just healthily motivated, so I don't need to see a therapist....yet." I'm just amused by the foreshadowing and irony.

I want to stress that this post isn't meant to trivialize therapy, make fun of Dan, etc etc etc. It's just a little thing I found amusing. (and also, now that I think about it, kind of curious if Dan was thinking about therapy at this point or if that was a complete throwaway joke. It was about 2 years before he started seeking help.)
Good catch! It's always a bit of trip to watch their older stuff and have it sort of queue up who they'll be, for sure. I mean humans aren't particularly linear creatures but stuff like that always makes me laugh (or wince, haha).

Honestly there have been a few times in my ~phandom journey~ that I've gone down the rabbit hole with their older stuff and ended up at 5AM like:
Basically, I feel you & don't think you were making light of therapy tbh. Just because mental illness and therapy significantly impacts people (like me hi hello yes) doesn't mean it's sacrosanct or anything. (Just my opinion tho).
Last edited by neetbuzzer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
no one would talk to you on fur affinity
autumnhearth
senpai

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 am I was just watching back old dan videos because what better way to spend a Thursday night (and omg it's like watching a different person, but I'm still so endeared by him). Anyways, here's a totally irrelevant post, but the forum's slow tonight and I found this amusing:

I’ve been watching old Dan videos too, to decide what to add to a D&P playlist/possible rec list. It’s tricky because my criteria is threefold, objective favorites (usually cute or funny), good to share (not too offensive, but also shows character growth) and nostalgia (showing the passage of time and the variety of types of content they’ve made). It’s easy deciding which collabs to include, but harder for solo vids. For example, for 2009 Dan I chose Butterfingers. It’s the first real content vid, first reason why Dan’s a fail formula and it’s better visual quality and less cringe than Procrastination. Anywho I also came across an interesting tidbit from a video I’ve only watched once
aka family vacation storytime featuring Dan being embarrassed by his dad telling off a guy with a harpoon gun, but I feel like his dad was totally justified in that. Also what a tan family. I dunno I was just surprised to be reminded of it’s existence for all the discussion we’ve had of Dan avoiding talking about his dad.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

neetbuzzer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:55 am

Good catch! It's always a bit of trip to watch their older stuff and have it sort of queue up who they'll be, for sure. I mean humans aren't particularly linear creatures but stuff like that always makes me laugh (or wince, haha).

Honestly there have been a few times in my ~phandom journey~ that I've gone down the rabbit hole with their older stuff and ended up at 5AM like:
Basically, I feel you & don't think you were making light of therapy tbh. Just because mental illness and therapy significantly impacts people (like me hi hello yes) doesn't mean it's sacrosanct or anything. (Just my opinion tho).
Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. It's always interesting to watch back old stuff with the new knowledge you now have.

And yeah, I didn't think most people would take it the wrong way, but I just wanted to be sure. (I also go to therapy - for anxiety - so I definitely wouldn't say anything about it in a mean way, but we're mostly strangers on here so it's good to clarify)
autumnhearth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:03 am I’ve been watching old Dan videos too, to decide what to add to a D&P playlist/possible rec list. It’s tricky because my criteria is threefold, objective favorites (usually cute or funny), good to share (not too offensive, but also shows character growth) and nostalgia (showing the passage of time and the variety of types of content they’ve made). It’s easy deciding which collabs to include, but harder for solo vids. For example, for 2009 Dan I chose Butterfingers. It’s the first real content vid, first reason why Dan’s a fail formula and it’s better visual quality and less cringe than Procrastination. Anywho I also came across an interesting tidbit from a video I’ve only watched once
aka family vacation storytime featuring Dan being embarrassed by his dad telling off a guy with a harpoon gun, but I feel like his dad was totally justified in that. Also what a tan family. I dunno I was just surprised to be reminded of it’s existence for all the discussion we’ve had of Dan avoiding talking about his dad.
Ooh I like that you're making a playlist / rec list!

I think Dan used to talk about his dad quite a bit more back then. And yeah, his dad was definitely justified in that, but I get Dan's embarrassment. I have plenty of experience with moments similar to that, and that would still embarrass me as an adult if my parents did that even if I knew they were right. Hey, what can I say, I'm not good with confrontation and I get bad second-hand embarrassment.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

The lack of content is really killing me, I can't remember who dan and phil are... what do their faces look like... how do their voices sound...

Honestly, I'm really happy that Dan is doing this mental health awareness stuff. It's things like this that make me reaffirm my beliefs that these are people I can, in good conscience, stan, and that's not something I've really felt in most fandoms prior to this one.
Conversely, this is making me a little more critical of Phil. I truly believe he has good morals but I'd like to see him actually get involved and do something. I so rarely see Phil getting as much criticism for not speaking out, most likely because he so rarely does speak out. I'd just like him to drop a few more liveshow comments at least. (though that's not happening ever again apparently)
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

I think it's clear that not everyone here is gonna see where everyone is coming from with this argument. And while it's great to see everyone's sides of this, no matter what side its on, its obviously starting a strain in the phandom. Even though there's not much we can say/do to change the way deppy is doing things right now aside from give valid and understandable criticism, we also can make try to the community thrive. The post dizzy made the other day about things to watch, read and look at when were bored or unsure of what to while we wait for whats to come was a splendid and wonderful post which I'll link in a spoiler below. There's also a the IDB Book Club where each month a fic is picked and is discussed with a set of questions. And also I remember that when things were dull and bleak on here, we'd do questions about things we liked about deps and their content or we’d over analyze something from the past. (throwback to card gate and the rules)
A fandom, yes needs content to grow, but needs fan made content to thrive and get us though the poor aspects of waiting for content or communication. There's a lot of stuff that we as the audience can do instead of sitting around and twiddling our thumbs wondering "now what?". A fandom doesn't die unless fans chose to let it die.
Again, I get that this is mostly about poor communication from deps, however us constantly debating this among ourselves isn't going to solve anything but venting frustration. I really really hope this all makes and doesn't come off in a negative way, but like, aside from venting all this out, what are we gaining out of this? And like what can we even possibly do to change this? We could tweet them, yeah but they don’t seem to notice an issue aka dan’s stubble jab at it in the tumblr tags on the latest dil video.
Does it suck things are that way? Yeah, totally. Do I wish Deps would change the way they do things? Yeah. But sadly, for the time being they dont seem to thing anything of it because of whatever is going on behind camera (aka tour stuff and events like the one dan did today) or just personal reasons. And also I don't remember them ever being clear as to what was happening next or whatever. Maybe in live shows letting us know whenever the next video would be or such, but other than that, we never knew much.
But also, dan and phil never once said live shows are completely over. Dan has literally tweeted twice now that he’ll do a live show “when it feels right” and will totally talk about things when a live show time comes. And even phil has said he’ll give us warning before one is coming. They’ve told us it’s going to be more sporadic multiple times and sporadic could mean once or twice a month now instead of every week. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but in the live show before they announced this tour, didn’t dan imply something along the lines of not doing live shows for a year? I swear I remember that but I couldn’t find it in the live show timestamp thread for that live show.
Ah, I’m so sorry for ranting, I just thing we should find away to entertain ourselves during these times but also express how we feel.
Last edited by mermaid blood on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken tumblr code
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Pssst. We literally got a video two days ago. Nothing's dead yet.