Dan & Phil Part 65: Phabergé

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair
Pronouns: she/her

kavat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:09 pm
Sometimes they're like parodies of themselves.

Can I also say that i love the fact that Dan keeps liking Kevin Abstract's tweets. As a big Brockhampton fan that makes my heart so happy.
Oh yeah me too!! I was sleeping on Brockhampton, they're insanely good.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
neetbuzzer
delia smith
Pronouns: he/him/tired

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 pm I want to see fan art of that too flarequake. And now I’m imagining them dressing up as a different unique fursona at each II location. Way too complicated and expensive for wardrobe I know, but it’s an amusing thought.
I love antlers on anything (so spooky! so pretty. so fraught with mythological tradition) so I'd love to see this too! Although I'm vacillating between cute cartoon fanart and like, eldritch and powerful looking versions.

Also when I read "unique fursona" I was like "aHA! so that's why it's +14 now" even though I know that's ridiculous/incorrect for about 500 different reasons, lmao.
ImageImage
no one would talk to you on fur affinity
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

human wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 pm But maybe it’s just because I’m older and I grew up not having social media connecting me to Boyzone, Backstreet Boys and Nsync so I had to accept that they do what they do and if I like it, I’m a fan. If I don’t like it then I’m probably not a fan, shouldn’t assume my opinion matters and should just go listen to Spice Girls instead.
I'm someone who thinks the accusations of a content drought and anger towards Dan and Phil for dropping liveshows is totally unjustifiable and exaggerated, but I do have to disagree with this. I think a crucial part of being a fan of someone is remaining critical of them, and not just blindly supporting them regardless of what they do. There are certain things that I personally do not think warrant criticism (e.g. Dan and Phil seemingly withdrawing from us somewhat/sharing less personal information/not telling us what they are up to) - I respect that that's a subjective opinion, but it's what I firmly believe as ultimately, as sad as I am about liveshows dwindling away, I really couldn't think of anything I'd want to do less than talk to tens of thousands of people live on webcam for an hour on a weekly basis, and they ultimately owe us absolutely zero information about their private lives.

However, there are other things that I have been very vocally critical of regarding Dan and Phil (I'm referring specifically here to their continued association with Pewdiepie). You actually don't have to accept everything Dan and Phil do in order to be considered a fan of them. You don't have to sacrifice your own values or make excuses to justify the things they do that don't sit right with you. Obviously, if something stops bringing you enjoyment to the extent that being a fan of it makes you miserable, then it may be time to move on.

But it is possible to both enjoy the content someone creates or the things that they do or the person that they are or the community that they inspire, and also to voice your opinion and speak out when they do something you disagree with or that makes you uncomfortable. If you dislike a video they create, you are absolutely within your rights to voice that. If they do something you disagree with morally or politically, you have every right to hold them to account. That doesn't make you less of a fan.

Obviously, berating Louise for choosing not to breastfeed her baby, or being nasty about someone's weight or appearance, or acting entitled to someone's time or personal information, are things I consider wildly out of line. But blindly following someone with absolutely no room for criticism just doesn't sit right with me at all.
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:09 pm
I'm just picturing Dan and Phil in their browsing positions as Dan starts humming along to fob Sugar We're Goin' Down when Phil pipes up, "but wouldn't it be so cool to have antlers? Like you could decorate them with different baubles and dangly things!"
And Dan is just staring at him blankly before rolling his eyes and deadpanning, "yeah and then you get fucking shot at by some creepy-ass goat-leg dad-man. Sounds fucking thrilling, sign me up."
98% positive that's what started the discussion, and 110% sure it ended with "- hey, no kink-shaming though." "Oh fucking hell, Dan, you and your furries!"
:tu:
autumnhearth
senpai

Pretty sure it's not "you and your furries" when it's a private non recorded conversation ;)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 pm I want to see fan art of that too flarequake. And now I’m imagining them dressing up as a different unique fursona at each II location. Way too complicated and expensive for wardrobe I know, but it’s an amusing thought.
In Finland they'd definitely have specifically moominsonas instead of any old animal fursonas. I didn't know that kind of fursonas were a thing until last week when I stumbled across someone's drawing of their moominsona on Tumblr, but I'm honestly not that surprised. I searched for some more art because I was curious, and it seems that the point is not that your moominsona is an existing Moomin character, but instead that you create your own in the same style and of the same species as a Moomin character.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, the Moomins are Finnish children's book characters created by Tove Jansson. They are probably best known both in Finland and abroad for all the animated series and films they've appeared in and are more or less considered national icons at this point. It's fully acceptable for both children and adults to own and use Moomin merch, and you can get basically anything Moomin-branded. I think their huge popularity is best described by the fact that a few years ago there was even an online black market for Moomin mugs. It was a real problem for stores that people would steal seasonal mugs and then sell them online later when they were officially sold out from the stores.

To get back to Dan and Phil, there's a Moomin shop in London, and they visited it in the Festive DITL. I also have a vague memory of them mentioning Moomins some other time, so they seem to be aware of their existence.

(I never thought I'd get to talk about the Moomins on a Dan and Phil forum, but here we are...)
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I wonder why we're talking about furries after Phil posts a tweet about humans having antlers.
You've gotta love Dan's effort to push the the meme that he is a furry (it's the obvious next rebrand). It's like a years long slow roll of his audience. I would almost start to think he actually is a furry if it wasn't so obvious his "accidental" slip-ups have jokes written all over it.

This clip sums it up nicely. It's a bit outdated now Dan has pushed the gas pedal on his furry references even more.
I support his campaign to talk about furries until they're a valid an accepted part of society :lol: ! (I mean i really do but idk if he realizes what he's signing up for)
In 2019 I expect to see page long discussions in the fandom about fashion trends in mersuits (?), tips on how to yiff with friends and terrabytes of fursona art on everyone's hard drives :mrgreen:
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i can't imagine joking for 8 years about something i didn't personally have an interest and partake in, but maybe i need to work on my punchline stamina :lol:

edit: antlers are hot tho
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:13 pm And then he liked this, again proving his self-awareness.

self-awareness is my personal kink.
art in avatar by lily
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Well he does say his life is a joke so we've all been warned ;)

Their last tweets have been A+ I'm expecting a video tonight too ( watch my hopes and dreams die). Unless they really have been extremely busy or were hibernating the last days, chances are they picked up some of the distress that's been going on on social media.
And in the past I feel like they have tended to remedy feelings of disconnection in their audience as soon as possible.
Who knows, but here's to hoping for *some* content today :ribena:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Stakhanov wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 am Well he does say his life is a joke so we've all been warned ;)

Their last tweets have been A+ I'm expecting a video tonight too ( watch my hopes and dreams die). Unless they really have been extremely busy or were hibernating the last days, chances are they picked up some of the distress that's been going on on social media.
And in the past I feel like they have tended to remedy feelings of disconnection in their audience as soon as possible.
Who knows, but here's to hoping for *some* content today :ribena:

I don’t see us getting a gaming video tonight since they seem to upload one every five days but who knows. I would think if it we did get a video tonight or in a couple days it would be a dinof. It’s been nearly 4 weeks since his meme video. He also said in a reply that Prince william asked him if he’d put any of it on his channel. So I wouldn’t be surprised if his next video was to do with it. I’m am a bit surprised he hasn’t mentioned his next video he normally says he’ll do one soon but I guess with the lack of liveshows we just havnt brought it up.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

HM yes it's been a good while since the last Dinof vid. Now the prince himself asked if he wasn't going to make a video about it it's unavoidable. Taking into account Dan's talent for procrastination and perfectionism, i think that video might still need a while before it gets uploaded. Unless of course the idea was already there. The event certainly must have been in the front of his mind for at least a couple of days?
Fingers crossed, I'll take anything. They haven't really given us a heads up, so I'm just going to hope that in between the bday celebrations and whatever they've made time for a filming day :-/
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I'm putting my money on us getting an AP video next. It's been two weeks since the last one, and Phil seems to have at least some kind of a video schedule unlike Dan.
kalli
butt chair

kavat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm Can I also say that i love the fact that Dan keeps liking Kevin Abstract's tweets. As a big Brockhampton fan that makes my heart so happy.
I'm so glad you brought this up since even though I'm sure I would have seen it eventually, I hadn't noticed yet that he liked the tweet about Shawn Mendes wanting to come to their show in Toronto. I'd be happy to see him like any of Kevin's tweets, but I was at the Toronto show so it feels extra special :happytears:

I was also pretty shook by the fact that the other tweet he liked is about Kevin's boyfriend. Dan's really out here stanning Brockhampton and shipping Jevin like the rest of us wow iconic

I'd love for him to talk about them sometime in a liveshow, I'm curious to know which album is his favourite of the Saturation trilogy and what songs he likes the most. I'd bet on Saturation III, and I wouldn't put it past Dan of 2018 to mention Junky as one of his favourite songs.

A new main channel video and a liveshow following it where he also talks about Brockhampton?
It's what the people want. :ribena:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

kalli wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 pm
kavat wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm Can I also say that i love the fact that Dan keeps liking Kevin Abstract's tweets. As a big Brockhampton fan that makes my heart so happy.
I'm so glad you brought this up since even though I'm sure I would have seen it eventually, I hadn't noticed yet that he liked the tweet about Shawn Mendes wanting to come to their show in Toronto. I'd be happy to see him like any of Kevin's tweets, but I was at the Toronto show so it feels extra special :happytears:

I was also pretty shook by the fact that the other tweet he liked is about Kevin's boyfriend. Dan's really out here stanning Brockhampton and shipping Jevin like the rest of us wow iconic

I'd love for him to talk about them sometime in a liveshow, I'm curious to know which album is his favourite of the Saturation trilogy and what songs he likes the most. I'd bet on Saturation III, and I wouldn't put it past Dan of 2018 to mention Junky as one of his favourite songs.

A new main channel video and a liveshow following it where he also talks about Brockhampton?
Honey this definitely what the people want! Or more specificity what I want. I saw someone say on tumblr that he’s been listening to them recently on his Spotify and it made my gay heart happy. I love listening dans mini music reviews and I definitely want to know what he thinks
autumnhearth
senpai

@somethingsketchy that’s super cute, I remember them being excited by the Moomin shop. Though for a second I thought you were going to start talking about shamanistic reindeer fursonas and that got me even more excited. I too love antlers and antlered figures but this is probably not the place to talk about horned gods that are not actually Cernunnos and my regret that I never got my son a certain Schleich figure.

@Stakhanov I was a bit disappointed that the furry mention clips didn’t go as deep as the thumbnail suggests. I’ve been compiling old references for months, but don’t really have the motivation to put it all together and try to draw an articulate conclusion.

Ooo here’s a question for the group, or at least for those of you who grew up in the U.K. and have had some experience with scouting. Do Beaver Scouts tend to draw whiskers on their faces? It doesn’t seem to be prevalent. Maybe it’s just a northern thing? (I tease, I mean specific to their troop- er, Colony) Or perhap’s it’s just a Phil thing.

somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:28 pm @somethingsketchy that’s super cute, I remember them being excited by the Moomin shop. Though for a second I thought you were going to start talking about shamanistic reindeer fursonas and that got me even more excited. I too love antlers and antlered figures but this is probably not the place to talk about horned gods that are not actually Cernunnos and my regret that I never got my son a certain Schleich figure.
Hmm, while shamanistic reindeer fursonas might sound cool, they would also be disrespectful towards the indigenous Saami people of Northern Europe and appropriative of their culture. Dressing up as a reindeer isn't inherently appropriative, but linking ideas of witchcraft and shamanism to that would be. So, err, maybe let's just stick with the Moomins?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Generally, not that I know much at all about the Beavers (though I was the Brownie equivalent), I don't think they have a thing for drawing whiskers on their faces, I think this is all Phil.
autumnhearth
senpai

Sorry, you are absolutely right and I didn’t mean to suggest that’s something I think should exist. My mind just went antler conversation + furonas + Finland mention + Moomin-> Moose -> Reindeer, before remembering what Moomin were and that they don’t have antlers. But no, I certainly do not want to encourage the appropriation of anyone’s spirituality or culture. My apologies :oops:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:28 pmI was a bit disappointed that the furry mention clips didn’t go as deep as the thumbnail suggests. I’ve been compiling old references for months, but don’t really have the motivation to put it all together and try to draw an articulate conclusion.
Now that sounds like a group project in the making.

(I am sad a lot of the good youtube compilations are outdated know. Inevitability of time, youtube videos just aren't that easy to update like a post is.)
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

Beavers: nope, not that I know of, at least not in my area! My younger brothers were both beaver scouts (my youngest little bro is exactly the same age as Phil) and never did the whiskers thing. It could be a Northern thing, but I’m willing to bet it’s a Phil thing :)
Amiaw
interactive introvert

kalli wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Dan followed Kevin Abstract in Instagram a few days ago too so the fanboying is alive and well
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Do I smell an AmazingPhil video in the making?
fancybum
senpai

snokoplasmic wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:51 pm Do I smell an AmazingPhil video in the making?
lmao wtf is he going to roast people? I mean I know he's not, but the idea is killing me. He'd be so bad at it, it would give me life.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
malday
emo goose

fancybum wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:13 pm
snokoplasmic wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:51 pm Do I smell an AmazingPhil video in the making?
lmao wtf is he going to roast people? I mean I know he's not, but the idea is killing me. He'd be so bad at it, it would give me life.
More likely he's going to thank his subscribers and celebrate his channel turning 12.
Last edited by malday on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liola
rankussy

fancybum wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:13 pm
I'm wondering if he's doing something Valentine's day themed? I mean the timing would match, but I don't know exactly what that would entail
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor