Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dancy
procrastinator

So....Dan liked this tweet.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair
Pronouns: she/her

dancy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:36 pm So....Dan liked this tweet.
Yooo I was just about to link it too!! I'm sure he is just so happy his dream came true. He also liked this:
Boy is wildin'
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And in the midst of his mini furry revolution, he also liked:
Which is interesting but ultimately just makes me roll my eyes. I mean, not speaking specifically to Undertale, but I'm still real meh on the whole 'straight white man' stance of dismissing transformative interpretations of works in general. It's easy to put original works on a pedestal of purity and say you don't want them tainted with fandom's creativity when you're the demographic that pretty much everyone makes their products for to begin with. (Not that I'm calling Dan straight, just saying that I think he tends to have that pretentious mindset that being in a fandom for something takes away from the purity of it, and that liking something for a ship is a lesser form of appreciation.)

(And to be fair, the rest of PJ's tweets ultimately concluded with something different than the implication of just the one Dan liked, by him saying that people can enjoy whatever they want to enjoy. And I'll allow for the fact that Dan - and maybe even PJ, to some extent - have really complex personal feelings about shipping and fanbases themselves that color their overall perception things. But it's still not an opinion that impresses me.)
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

dancy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:36 pm
Ok, I guess there's no better time to ask than now. :oops:

I've googled furries, I've been to the subreddits, I've seen fursuits at conventions, but I really don't understand what being a furry is about. What's the appeal or the fascination? What does a furry do that makes them a furry? I guess there's different "degrees" of being a furry (from liking cute furry art to having sex in a fursuit?)? Is being a furry a hobby, a kink, or part of someone's personality?

I am really curious and trying to expand my horizon and I don't mean to discriminate or belittle anyone. I am not a native speaker, so please don't read too much into my language and choice of words.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm

I've googled furries, I've been to the subreddits, I've seen fursuits at conventions, but I really don't understand what being a furry is about. What's the appeal or the fascination? What does a furry do that makes them a furry? I guess there's different "degrees" of being a furry (from liking cute furry art to having sex in a fursuit?)? Is being a furry a hobby, a kink, or part of someone's personality?

I am really curious and trying to expand my horizon and I don't mean to discriminate or belittle anyone. I am not a native speaker, so please don't read too much into my language and choice of words.
I’m a furry. For me personally I just like how they look and I want a fursuit. For me, it’s just a hobby, sort of I guess? There are a lot of people out there who are into the sexual part of it but it’s not a majority. It just seems that way because they stand out.

But for me, I mean.. I dunno. I just like the designs and the thought of.. being an animal I guess? Hell I even have my own fursona. But I don’t really have a whole lot thought out of it. But.. I dunno. For me it’s just.. a hobby I guess. It doesn’t take up a huge chunk of my life though and I’m not really /That/ open about it because people tend to be very judgmental about furries. I’m sure that the answer would vary depending on who you’re talking to though. This is just my.. experience or feelings as a furry I guess.

Sorry for all this.. extra info idk
:transheart:
DatCog
blobfish

CUTE!!
Edited to add - surely we'll get a gaming video tonight, or do you think Dan might have done his dinof??
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

DatCog wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm CUTE!!
Edited to add - surely we'll get a gaming video tonight, or do you think Dan might have done his dinof??
Just dropped 25 USD on them. I'm taking my 8 year old to TIIT but she doesn't know yet. I'm gonna wrap these for her bday and surprise her tickets too. She's super into the pastel video they made (completely changed her world) and she's gonna shit her pants whenever they #spon these guys.

I almost never get chances to be this cool of a mom, and I'm so pumped that I can this time and also I'm going to a cool place too.
fancybum
senpai

Uh don't forget to use the SALESALESALE code because I totally just bought them with a discount. Did they plan out the timing for that because that's nice.

Edit: ok cool I’m not a monster, yes it’s intentional
Last edited by fancybum on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

Sims video tomorrow, according to Phil’s replies
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, the cheesy-cute photo complete with daffodils. Dan with his eyes closed is a sweet look. Phil’s flowers are different colours from the first photos IRL tweeted, purple in place of yellow, interesting to see the tiny things they change.
autumnhearth
senpai

That’s super sweet mythicalpinktrashcan :love2:

Thanks for the reminder fancybum! :platonic:

I noticed that too flarequake I kind of hope all the little Phil’s have purple, pink and blue flowers, but the description does say multicolor so there may be variation. One thing I noticed that I do appreciate is that the clothes, or at least their sleeves look more separate from the bodies of the plushie, as in they aren’t just just stitched right to the arms (with often an uneven edge I saw) but look like they have an actual hemmed sleeve.

Oh good, Sims. Nice to have a heads up!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lol @ Dan liking but not retweeting the #spon
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

fancybum wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:47 pm Uh don't forget to use the SALESALESALE code because I totally just bought them with a discount. Did they plan out the timing for that because that's nice.

Edit: ok cool I’m not a monster, yes it’s intentional
100% did not use that code. Oh well. You're welcome Lester
alien
procrastinator

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:43 pm
DatCog wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm CUTE!!
Just dropped 25 USD on them. I'm taking my 8 year old to TIIT but she doesn't know yet. I'm gonna wrap these for her bday and surprise her tickets too. She's super into the pastel video they made (completely changed her world) and she's gonna shit her pants whenever they #spon these guys.

I almost never get chances to be this cool of a mom, and I'm so pumped that I can this time and also I'm going to a cool place too.
You're such a cool mom, that's awesome! I also think it's so awesome how huge their audience age spectrum is! My 8 year old nephew loves youtube but couldn't gaf about DnP but my 12 year old nephew loves them. And I'm over here, 29, like I've been a fan of Phil's since a couple years after you were born! lol And I know there's older phans out there (and here) and I just love it. :love2:

ANYWAY, I think the plushies are adorable and I want them but I just can't justify the purchase right now :sobs:
hello9217
flower crown

So it looks like they added another Florida show and tickets go on sale Feb 28th and they added another Philly show. Also they moved Brazil to September but no confirmed official date. Looks like they are finally working everything out.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

dancy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:36 pm So....Dan liked this tweet.
Finally! I expected him to do his official fursona reveal with some more bells and whistles but i'll take it :mrgreen:
My list of dinof vids i hope he uploads next is now expanded with a video called "Telling it all: my journey into the world of furry conventions"
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Stakhanov wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:49 pm My list of dinof vids i hope he uploads next is now expanded with a video called "Telling it all: my journey into the world of furry conventions"
Oh man, now you're getting my hopes up :lol:
aleanna
glabella

Skylar wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:08 pm

I’m a furry. For me personally I just like how they look and I want a fursuit. For me, it’s just a hobby, sort of I guess? There are a lot of people out there who are into the sexual part of it but it’s not a majority. It just seems that way because they stand out.

But for me, I mean.. I dunno. I just like the designs and the thought of.. being an animal I guess? Hell I even have my own fursona. But I don’t really have a whole lot thought out of it. But.. I dunno. For me it’s just.. a hobby I guess. It doesn’t take up a huge chunk of my life though and I’m not really /That/ open about it because people tend to be very judgmental about furries. I’m sure that the answer would vary depending on who you’re talking to though. This is just my.. experience or feelings as a furry I guess.

I'm not a furry, but I think for most people in the furry community, it's a sort of hobby thing. When you think about it, is it really any different than the people who LARP or go in character to Renaissance Faires? Yes, for some people there is a sexual component, and that's what gets talk about the most online (of course), but it really is just another fandom.

Most children could be considered furries based on the cartoons/movies they watch, but no one cares because it's "normal" for kids to like anthropomorphic animals. But if you're an adult and like it? Apparently you're a weirdo who deserves to be mocked. :roll:
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

*dances*

yassssss my monthly (weekly?!) furry acknowledgment dosage! i'm only just recovering from the glass-door eavesdropping hilarity too. i have nothing further to say other than these things have pleased me greatly. 8-)
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 pm And in the midst of his mini furry revolution, he also liked:
Which is interesting but ultimately just makes me roll my eyes. I mean, not speaking specifically to Undertale, but I'm still real meh on the whole 'straight white man' stance of dismissing transformative interpretations of works in general. It's easy to put original works on a pedestal of purity and say you don't want them tainted with fandom's creativity when you're the demographic that pretty much everyone makes their products for to begin with. (Not that I'm calling Dan straight, just saying that I think he tends to have that pretentious mindset that being in a fandom for something takes away from the purity of it, and that liking something for a ship is a lesser form of appreciation.)

(And to be fair, the rest of PJ's tweets ultimately concluded with something different than the implication of just the one Dan liked, by him saying that people can enjoy whatever they want to enjoy. And I'll allow for the fact that Dan - and maybe even PJ, to some extent - have really complex personal feelings about shipping and fanbases themselves that color their overall perception things. But it's still not an opinion that impresses me.)
i obviously have no idea, but i always suspect dan's tension with shipping these days, whilst simultaneously being a self-proclaimed shipper himself, is driven by fear that it's the *only* reason some watch them. moreso than any aversion to that being a legitimate element to being a fan of something. because, that concept raises a lot of complex and probably painful issues if he applies it to himself and his career. intellectually i'm sure he can separate himself. in practicality/emotionally, surely it's impossible after this long.
art in avatar by lily
blackdenim
procrastinator

I always thought that by definition, a furry was someone who's kink was dressing up as/pretending to be an anthropomorphic animal, usually in a sexual situation, and that was kind of... what got them going. (no judgement from me btw, people like what they like)

Is this incorrect, then? Is a furry not actually primarily a sexual thing, but a term for anyone who's in the 'anthropomorphic animal fandom', for want of a better phrase? Like you would make up a character and use it as your avatar, maybe roleplay them online with other furrys, buy a suit and accessories, write stories/make art, go to conventions, that kind of thing? And a smaller subset of those people also enjoy bringing their fursona into the bedroom but that's just what we hear about most?

Sorry this isn't very on topic for Dan and Phil but I'm interested to learn something new after like 15 years of incorrect knowledge haha.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

aleanna wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:46 am

I'm not a furry, but I think for most people in the furry community, it's a sort of hobby thing. When you think about it, is it really any different than the people who LARP or go in character to Renaissance Faires? Yes, for some people there is a sexual component, and that's what gets talk about the most online (of course), but it really is just another fandom.

Most children could be considered furries based on the cartoons/movies they watch, but no one cares because it's "normal" for kids to like anthropomorphic animals. But if you're an adult and like it? Apparently you're a weirdo who deserves to be mocked. :roll:
@Skylar I'm glad you're willing to share that part of your identity on here. I can understand why you don't tend to tell people. I think this is what often happens when a particular interest you have is rather niche or does not hold appeal to everyone. You stand out, some people won't understand you, people will make jokes (not necessarily in bad faith) or at worst will just start mocking you or worse. That by itself sort of makes you want to pick an choose when you share it, I imagine.
Because i'm interested in the conversation, and I'm with Dan ( no surprise i guess :number1: ) that we should post "one furry like a day" until furries are accepted as a vaild part of society, I'd thought I offer my honest view on the furry subculture.

Personally, i find little appeal in being a furry but i do find myself being intrigued by the idea behind it. The way I look at it most people who are drawn to furrydom engage in a pretty extreme form of anthropomorphism. The idea that you would like to be an animal rather than a human is a bit puzzling to me, and if i'm honest I also find it a bit worrying. It's not that i think it's "bad" by itself that you like to pretend to be animal, what I worry about more is how it may reflect the idea that animals are noble while humans are "corrupt". As a humanist, I strongly believe we are both stuck and blessed with being human; that's just who we are. It's what endows us all with human rights and responsibilities.
So in some way, when I see the whole culture that's being built around being a furry, which seems to be very kind and nice in general, I worry why it is that people feel the need to wear animal costumes to play certain roles or show certain affections that they don't seem comfortable with or want to escape from when they are just being "daily humans". Anthropomorphism isn't unique to the furry subculture, and like @aleanna points out it's part of our culture already in some ways ( from children's cartoons to the ways we indulge and treat our pets - sometimes better than we do humans we don't know). It's mainly the degree to which being a cute animal is valued in the subculture rather than being an 'ordinary human' fills me with concern. I do feel like "furrydom" might be a rather benign expression of what I fear might be an underlying idea of misanthropy. I have a sense that compared to 10 or so years ago, some groups in our society seem to care more and more about animals and animal rights in general (which is good), but at the same time seem to be warry of seeing the same value in a fellow human. So sometimes i read stuff about how people will go to lenghts to save animals lives (a great thing) but at the same time aren't willing to even provide basic care to migrants, or the homeless, or prisoners. That just leaves me with a very sour taste and a concern about how people can think animals are "perfect" while humans are "vile".

I guess much of the online humor about furries as a subculture comes down to the idea that it's "weird". And of course any sort of sexual fetish associated with it will always draw attention. I myself enjoy a lot of things which no doubt seem weird to others (i think we all do), still that does not stop me from finding other things weird too and commenting on it (again, i think we all do that). So if I joke/ lightheartedly mock some (extreme) aspects of furry culture, it's usually because I notice something about it that I find a bit contradictory, or just as part of a meme. In memes the humor is often no more related to the original context or meaning from where it once originated but can just be based on repetition, or recognition, or a creative pursuit to apply and twist certain "information" on new contexts. Memes and they way they are expressed and propagated in the modern information ages is a fascinating concept itself, deserving of reflection and... memes :mrgreen:. The way I learned and mostly get in contact with the concept of furrydom is after all through online memes, and that of course by itself heavily influences the image i (can) get from it.
Anyway just wanted to explain that i think a whole lot of the humor and even judgement directed at furries does I think come from a certain quest for understanding or certain concerns that may or may not be legitimate but which will be dramatized and enlarged in jokes, because that's one way humor tends to work. I really don't think people hold a malicious view of furries as much as they like to just joke about things that are "different".

Also I think the much more important point that should always be made is that one is free to form his own judgements and to ridicule what one likes but that should i no way take away the rights or validity of others to do what they desire - unless it conflicts with other rights. But that's why in a liberal and permissive society we have laws, and by no means should there be a law on the books about coming together (in a sexual sense or not ;) with friends in stylish animal suits. There are plenty of ugly things in this world and a furry convention ain't one of them.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

From what I know of it, and I only have a passing interest having a few friends into art and cosplay, being a furry is as Skylar said. Fursuits are not the easiest to make or cheapest to buy so I don’t think they’re a given for anyone, but they look hella cool at comic con. Not everyone who has a fursona, draws characters etc wants to be one of them, there’s a spectrum as with all things, imo.

If people do have a deeper interest, especially if others mock them, I can well understand why they’d withdraw to their own space to feel safer. A joke might not be meant malciciously, but how it lands and is perceived can be very different depending on the target’s experiences (eg always feeling like an easy target for dickheads), aside from the joker’s tone, body language, whatever.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

blackdenim wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 amI always thought that by definition, a furry was someone who's kink was dressing up as/pretending to be an anthropomorphic animal, usually in a sexual situation, and that was kind of... what got them going. (no judgement from me btw, people like what they like)

Is this incorrect, then? Is a furry not actually primarily a sexual thing, but a term for anyone who's in the 'anthropomorphic animal fandom', for want of a better phrase? Like you would make up a character and use it as your avatar, maybe roleplay them online with other furrys, buy a suit and accessories, write stories/make art, go to conventions, that kind of thing? And a smaller subset of those people also enjoy bringing their fursona into the bedroom but that's just what we hear about most?

Sorry this isn't very on topic for Dan and Phil but I'm interested to learn something new after like 15 years of incorrect knowledge haha.
It's definitely not always - or even primarily - a sexual thing. You pretty much nailed it with the anthropomorphic animal fandom description. Most of the friends I've had that were furries (and I've had quite a few over the years) didn't have a sexual component to it, but because the sexual component is the one most mocked that's just become the stigma.

As far as Dan and Phil go, I think the people who vehemently argue that they can't be furries or want to put some deep psychological twist on why it must be humor (Dan included, sometimes) are the people who don't really understand how wide the scope of what makes a furry really is. I think it's definitely possible to recognize a lot of qualities you see in yourself in someone else, but to not want the label you see put on those other people and try to distance with humor. So I'd say Dan is either fully aware of what he likes and makes fun it because it's just funny to him, as part of a community to laugh at himself, or he falls into the category of conflicted and sometimes trying to distance himself.

Either way, it's always fun to see conversations happen here and on social media where people who identify as furries feel comfortable expressing themselves!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

joinin in on the furry talk– my ex boyfriend is a furry, but he doesn't dress up or anything. it's just an interest he has and he roleplays online and has a fursona. a lot of it is actually quite wholesome and understandable. also it can be pretty meme-able, as anything can because we can't take anything seriously. for some reason it's kinda common in the LGBTQ community. it wasn't weird for me when i was with him actually he sorta was into the sexual aspect of it, but i wasn't involved in that part with him. I don't find it weird or gross at all tbh. it's fascinating and impressive seeing the art and dedication that goes into creating an entire fursuit.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

New Sims!

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr