Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
idkwhattowrite
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her

Ok, so I know there's been a lot of talk about how youtube is messing up with notifications etc, but I have for the most part always received push notifications about their new videos. Emails are slow, but I get notified. Today, though, I went on the gaming channel main page to find the video after the notification popped up, and the video wasn't featured there. I had to go through twitter to find it. Is that common? It's available now, 40 minutes later, so is this just a case of changeover of the video lineup? I thought it was a strange glitch.

As for the video, I do find this storyline more staged than usual and I wonder why they're playing it so much like a 'oh wow this is just how it's progressing, we're not controlling this', when most people will see through that. I love that they're going in this direction, and I enjoy it, but I find the posturing a bit odd. Is that just me?

Lastly, did anyone else notice that Phil referred to listening to the neighbours arguing as something that had already happened, but that the way they talked about weighted blankets also sounded like Dan hadn't ordered one yet? Makes me think they pre-planned that whole twitter interaction and knew it would be posted before the video. Which doesn't bother me at all, I just find it interesting :) Anyway, I'll stop waffling on now!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm having such a divided reaction to this video. On one hand, yes it's staged as hell - and I think that they stage a lot of the stuff in the game but this just happens to be far more obviously so since there's no way for them to super lowkey build up an entire relationship the way they can just edit out the click of a button to get Dil pregnant.

But also, damn. I love that they're staging something, and this is what they go for. I love that they're that determined to make a relationship between two guys happen on the channel, on their most prominent, most viewed series? What I said after the last Sims video stands; this is the kind of normalization that I want. This is the kind of example I want them setting into the world, for all the casual viewers and young viewers and anyone seeing it.

Phil was so hilariously filthy in this. Saying Dab probably had a sensual dream, making a "they were THIS BIG" joke... also his mocking of peers bragging about exploits was hilarious. I feel like of the two of them Dan was far more visibly awkward with the subject matter than Phil, but maybe it's just easier to pick up on because when Dan feels nervous about something he just talks a mile a minute. If he didn't over-narrate he might come off as more chill about it. I'm okay, though; the only way to get more comfortable with something is just plow through it so I think that's what they're doing.
idkwhattowrite wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 pmLastly, did anyone else notice that Phil referred to listening to the neighbours arguing as something that had already happened, but that the way they talked about weighted blankets also sounded like Dan hadn't ordered one yet? Makes me think they pre-planned that whole twitter interaction and knew it would be posted before the video. Which doesn't bother me at all, I just find it interesting :) Anyway, I'll stop waffling on now!
I feel like this video was supposed to go up earlier, and was filmed maybe over last weekend? Dan talks about the weighted blanket in the context of not having bought one yet when on Tuesday he said he did have one, and they're wearing the same thing as in the pastel plushie photos that was posted yesterday. But they mention the hallway eavesdropping, which means that probably wasn't tweeted the same day they took the pictures. (Doesn't mean I think it didn't actually happen, though; just means that I think it happened and Dan took those pictures but they only decided to tweet it later.)
autumnhearth
senpai

That was a whole heck of a lotta fan service, from the title to almost every moment inbetween, but I’m not complaining. They’ve got a romantic teen Sim (did they know choosing that), they’re trying to seem like they are taking it slow, but everyone knows where it’s going and honestly Phil seems pretty excited about it so it’s all good. I need to rewatch the beginning with that whole hug, lingering non-platonic pat on the back conversation. Also the two bros sitting five feet apart because they’re not gay was great to hear come out of their mouths (note the strike) as they were sat no inches apart.

A couple cute/funny childhood stories: Phil bothering Martyn at night so their parents gave them bunk beds. Exaggerated bragging about fooling around. And what they call ding dong ditching.

(idkwhattowrite I’ve been experiencing that too, wasn’t in my subscription or on the channel so I had to search for it by name)

dizzy I also got the sense at first that it was staged back in a batch, but Phil references the Twitter poll so I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was filmed Thursday or Friday, the same day the plushie selfie was taken (not that I put it past them to fudge things).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:34 pm dizzy I also got the sense at first that it was staged back in a batch, but Phil references the Twitter poll so I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was filmed Thursday or Friday, the same day the plushie selfie was taken (not that I put it past them to fudge things).
Oh you're right! Okay, I retract my opinion about it being filmed before then. I wonder why Dan phrased it more like he wanted a weighted blanket instead of talking about how he ordered one?
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

THAT WAS SO GOOD!!! Staged or not that was so good!!!
Look I was interested in this thing like.. actually invested, wow.

There's a million things to pick up on and so, so many layers to everything they said (in my opinion) that I just... I loved it, truly. Glad this is the 50th episode omg there's 50?!?! where has the time gone
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
hello9217
flower crown

I really loved this so much. Is it staged, is it "giving the people what they want?" Hell yeah it is but I will take it. Also Phil had me dying in this video. I'm honestly surprised that Dan seemed more reserved? nervous? I don't know the right word but anyway I kind of expected that would be how Phil was throughout the video but I guess not...
Also I don't know how pre-planned this video or the tweets were since Phil said he won the twitter poll. Also side note but I never knew I needed to hear Phil say "tea" when talking about the hot gossip until now.
cutestdan
smol bean

That was a great video! Honestly one of the first times I didn't get bored while watching a sims vid
Also I found another suspicious jumpcut at 0:49. Wonder why they cut that out
"you're next to me, in my life"
alien
procrastinator

hello9217 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm I really loved this so much. Is it staged, is it "giving the people what they want?" Hell yeah it is but I will take it. Also Phil had me dying in this video. I'm honestly surprised that Dan seemed more reserved? nervous? I don't know the right word but anyway I kind of expected that would be how Phil was throughout the video but I guess not...
Also I don't know how pre-planned this video or the tweets were since Phil said he won the twitter poll. Also side note but I never knew I needed to hear Phil say "tea" when talking about the hot gossip until now.
That last part made me immediately think that he's watching rpdr with Dan.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I love it, though also had trouble actually finding it. The last dapg video, like this one, wasn’t in my sub box and also this one wasn’t on the dapg channel’s main page. Tweeted to let them know.

A romantic sim will get those options more easily and other options like hug start coming up once Sims are just good enough friends. Ask about woohoo isn’t a romantic thing, though, I’m pretty sure it’s asking for info ie “the talk”. It’s so cute that they’re steering this storyline and I love all their commentary and how cute they are about it, and how worried if Dab would be rejected.

The game is funny, the people jumping in the trash pile... it’s just a funny thing the devs put in. I haven’t seen it in 4 cos I haven’t played much, but in 2 they did it too (I think, might be misremembering, certainly they did it with water puddles), after someone had angrily kicked their dustbin over because they disliked the person, though. Ended up with a lot of flies and it was annoying keeping on telling my sim to tidy up.

Phil looked pretty as hell in this, not that Dan didn’t, but I really noticed Phil’s eyes, bone structure and skin. That jumper suits him and I loved the extra little plushie spon. Also all the filters as they were panning the neighbourhood.

Nuki and Pancake was funny, typical cat straight in the bed. First it asked for a litter tray, though, they didn’t say if they noticed.

I can’t quite think of the timeline, my brain is half-mush right now, but Phil mentioned the next Sims was gonna be good a few days ago. The way Phil said tea sounded like he’s just learned that word on Twitter, but he must have heard it before, it’s old now (says she who just discovered tonight that my mum’s generation said “snogging” in the 60s, I thought it was a 90s word).
Secretstanner
truth bomb

alien wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:53 pm
hello9217 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm I really loved this so much. Is it staged, is it "giving the people what they want?" Hell yeah it is but I will take it. Also Phil had me dying in this video. I'm honestly surprised that Dan seemed more reserved? nervous? I don't know the right word but anyway I kind of expected that would be how Phil was throughout the video but I guess not...
That last part made me immediately think that he's watching rpdr with Dan.
He definitely is aswel. Around phils birthday I was watching bryonys insta story and one of the clips you can hear phil say a line from one of the queens on season 1& the current all stars. So I wasn’t surprised they had been watching rpdr because I know Bryony does too.

Also I picked up on dan being very awkward and reserved and I didn’t know how to feel about it but I really loved how Phil was he was in a good mood and seems very excited for dab and Evans romance
Last edited by Secretstanner on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancy
procrastinator

The DDR pad is visible again (so I doubt they ever packed it) and Dan has explained the absence of live shows, so I don’t think they're packing or moving anytime soon.
phillyforgot
butt chair

I liked the new Sims video. I'm glad they're building up a relationship between Dab and Evan and are trying to make them a canon gay couple. It's genuinely sweet watching Dab being into someone.

I hear that Dan and Phil want to let them do something alone together in the next episode (as in a date sort of thing, I'd assume) and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Mostly, I'm just glad to see the cat. It's really a shame we haven't seen Pancakes Pancakes before. Although Dab stealing the cat might bring some drama with Evan.

I genuinely enjoyed this video :love2: :love1: :philtrash:
malday
emo goose

I like that Phil was the one being straightforward making bold suggestions and Dan was left a little speechless at Phil's idea of a heartfelt compliment at 14:30: "your shorts are very short and i like it" :lol:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I liked the newest sims vid. Really happy with the way the story is going. :D
parallel
phabergé

"I love a romantic pat on the back" as Dan proceeds to pat Phil on the back... Holy shit what is this
parallel
phabergé

sorry for the double post, edit window is over for my previous post. but WOW. this video was amazing? i love their chemistry in this video and also vine reference is 10/10. idk why but this video is so Much i love it
DatCog
blobfish

That was quite a sweet Sims vid with some classic funny/cheeky Phil in particular. Going to be rewatching the whole back patting scene at the beginning again as there was an intriguing jump cut which suggested to me that Dan had been patting Phil on the back...wonder why they cut it but kept in Phil patting Dan?! Phil's pouty face while doing the lingering pat was my moment of the video :D
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

idkwhattowrite wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 pm As for the video, I do find this storyline more staged than usual and I wonder why they're playing it so much like a 'oh wow this is just how it's progressing, we're not controlling this', when most people will see through that. I love that they're going in this direction, and I enjoy it, but I find the posturing a bit odd. Is that just me?
I said this after the last sims too, but i really don't think they're tying to act like its not at all pre-planned. They did acknowledge when people first started talking about shipping dab and evan (before they even aged them up) and since then it seemed to me that it was pretty obvious they were going to give that storyline a go. They gave dab the romantic trait for that reason -- because they knew it would give them the options to progress things with evan (and they probably honestly were surprised that it jumped straight to "kiss hands" :lol: ) . Imo they're just trying to make it seem like its not too forced, but not necessarily acting like they had no idea it would happen.

In other news, Phil was SO funny in this episode. His "Martyyynnn, why is the moon round??" impression of his childhood-self was the funniest thing i've heard all week :rofl:
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

This video was so good! I love that they’re trying to make Dab and Evan a thing. They seem like they’d be really cute together. Also the romantic tension betweenness Dan and Phil.. I’m screaming

Also on the furry talk: other people seem to have explained it better than me. I don’t necessarily want to be an animal, that was bad wording on my part as usual. But.. I like the idea of dressing up in a fursuit and having a fursona and everything. I’m a little bit open about it on Facebook but no one has really made fun of me for it, yet. But.. yeah. Sorry for the bad wording on my part.
:transheart:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

haha that suspicious jumpcut and then Dan softly removing his hand off Phil's back.
i wonder if they'll reveal the suspicious jumpcuts in a bloopers video some day..
:please:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Amiaw
interactive introvert

ratlad wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 pm haha that suspicious jumpcut and then Dan softly removing his hand off Phil's back.
i wonder if they'll reveal the suspicious jumpcuts in a bloopers video some day..
:please:
plausible explanation for the jumpcut: someone coughed or laughed and it ruined the moment

shipper explanation: Dan lingered too long or there was a comment or look that was "too obvious"

Capita£ester explanation: Dan's pat was too platonic and since they were actively trying to sell a "fan-service" moment they cut it and focused on Phil's so it would fit the narrative they were trying to sell
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

We got the sims video we were expecting.
It was an entertaining video, even if the whole series have become pretty predictable. Leave it to Dan and Phil to turn one rejected handkiss into new DAPG content and 23mins of gay teen romance. The question is not if but when Dab and Evan will marry, and what suits they'll be wearing as the proud parents.
I felt like Phil was in a bit of cheeky mood. He was being the dirtiest mind for once, and chaste Dan block is always hillarious The back patting made for an interesting moment. I had the feeling Phil was maybe talking about personal experiences? They get a whole lot of hugs from fans at the meet and greets and it felt a bit like he was maybe recollecting memories of "lingering" hugs he might have gotten from fans?
I noticed the slightly less smooth jumpcut too, but don't really have an opinion about it. It might have been just a setence or two that hindered the flow of the video. idk.

Furry talk: Dan did use the word furry once again in this video :mrgreen: The petting fanservice was again pretty obvious
Like with any subculture, people are engaged with being a furry in differing degrees and I never understood being a furry as being equivalent with having a sexual kink.
I see it mostly as a fun way to spend some time together. That's the essential thing about it and whatever else it can be is going to differ from person to person. Just like being an "emo" does.
On that note how did Dan not at least pick the option once in the vid to "complain about life"? I feel like his (past) emo identity was screaming out to bond over the shared pain of the human condition ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Pretty good Sims video! I think I might enjoy staged story lines more than them dicking around without committing to anything like usual. :shrug:

- "Every one of of your naps is a shame nap, Dan." Story of my life tbh.
- A Romantic Pat On The Back. Phil demonstrates.
- Spring is coming but Capita£ester is already in full bloom :')
- Phil suggests Dab had a sensual dream about -redacted-.
- D&P are so inspirational. :loveeyes: Inspiring their viewers to become pyromaniacs.
- I really like that Phil is the one to suggest the light make-up option, even if they end up going for the other one.
- Phil saying tea. What's his secret stan Twitter account??
- Cute story about how Phil always went to Martyn when he was scared so their parents got them bunkbeds. Notice Dan smiling when told about Martyn's reaction.
- Dab's second outfit looks like it was put together by a drunk kpop stylist on a strict budget. :?
- Dan poking Phil to demonstrate nervousness about talking to a crush so you're a shithead to them instead. :poke:
- If IDB ever needs a tagline, I'm voting for 'Humping The Trash' :garbage:
- Always here for D&P discussing subtle differences in growing up as a result of either age or location.
- Dan pretending to not be a cat-anti. Phil making spon out of it.
- "That one looks like a rat." Wow child!Phil saw a cloud that looked like Dan? Destiny.
- When you're two whole ass adults but still have unresolved issues about your classmates making shit up when they were dumb teens.
- "AND THEY WERE THIS BIG." :bighug: Cancelled indeed. This could also serve as an impression of the NSFW side of phandom when writing smut btw.
- CTFU @ their comments on how far apart Dab and Evan were sitting and the 'two bros sitting on a couch' thing. Something about a certain duo sitting on a couch during a liveshow in 2012... :ribena:
- Philly Love Doctor. I never want to hear that phrase again, but he was right on this one.
- You can tell they've never owned a cat before.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay, brace yourself, I'm going all in on the phan conspiracies:

I think Dan fibbed about the weighted blanket because Phil is the one that brought it up - which I didn't catch the first time around. I feel like Dan might have had a momentary internal panic knowing he'd already told us he bought a weighted blanket, and then having Phil suddenly be like, "Weighted blankets!" in a video. Dan's "I want one of those" keeps a bit more distance between it, like they're both just acknowledging something they've seen on the internet, as opposed to the reality of Phil having just brought up something that Dan has already bought for their bed. (Which Phil might not have known Dan had already mentioned to us, if he wasn't hanging around in the room while Dan did his liveshow.)
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:28 am Okay, brace yourself, I'm going all in on the phan conspiracies:

I think Dan fibbed about the weighted blanket because Phil is the one that brought it up - which I didn't catch the first time around. I feel like Dan might have had a momentary internal panic knowing he'd already told us he bought a weighted blanket, and then having Phil suddenly be like, "Weighted blankets!" in a video. Dan's "I want one of those" keeps a bit more distance between it, like they're both just acknowledging something they've seen on the internet, as opposed to the reality of Phil having just brought up something that Dan has already bought for their bed. (Which Phil might not have known Dan had already mentioned to us, if he wasn't hanging around in the room while Dan did his liveshow.)
(Psst, do you have a timestamp for people who may not have watched it yet because they’re actually several episodes behind and want to watch in order at some point but don’t have time rn but who would like to take a peek at this one moment in isolation for science? Asking for a friend)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me