Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Amiaw wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 am
Stuff like this makes me wonder why is it always Phil that does announcement stuff like this? From merch to tour information, Phil is always going to be the one that tweets everything out. Also even with the gaming livestreams coming to an end, I only remember Phil talking about it. Phil has food poisoning right now, I'm sure Dan could tweet out this info while Phil rests. Btw I'm not hating or anything I'm just curious.
I was thinking about this the other day- it might be different behind the scenes but from an outsiders perspective it makes their business partnership seem uneven. Phil was the only one that tweeted out about Love, Nikki, he tweeted about the new plushies (dan did like the tweet but didn’t retweet) he tweets about dates and store sales...if they all have an even share in the profits I hope they all have an equal share in the work.

Phil also seems to do a lot bts with the gaming channel, the selection of games, the set-up, the admin side...i would really be curious to hear them talk about how they divide the work load
I'm pretty sure it's been talked about before that Dan does a lot of the editing for the gaming videos. If that's true, that's definitely a large part of the workload. Plus, there's a shitload of behind the scenes stuff that we know nothing about. They've worked together for so long that I definitely think they've figured out what works for them, and that they do an equal share of the work, whatever that means to them.

(I'm not trying to come at you btw. I just trust that they know what works for them, and that if there ever was an actual issue with an unequal work divide that they would figure it out amongst themselves and adjust how they do things. But yes, I agree it would be interesting to find out what goes on behind the scenes, just for curiosity's sake)
karma_yeah
philussy

Stakhanov wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:46 am All of Dan's posed pictures make me smile. It's hard not to interpret them with his typical sense of irony in mind, which gives what is essentially a 'fuckboi pic' a bit of an ambiguous double meaning. He's trying to look good, but then also the poses and angles and filters can be so over the top that it' is almost as if he parodies the idea of making a stylish selfie. But however tongue-in-cheek he makes it, it works anyway because he's so hot :love1:

I loved his bold caption "arriving at your funeral" :lol: Good, kill us all with some confidence.
He's so good looking, it's oppressive.
He's so hot
Is he a rebel pirate?
He's so hot
That's a nice album cover for your New Age band
He's so hot
How long did you have to stare at nothing to get the perfect angle?
He's so hot :|
He's so fucking hot :love3: :blush: :hearteyes: :xoxo: :sunshine:
I'm a little late to the party, but I've gotta say, I agree with most of your post. On some level, he knows he is viewed by others as physically attractive (not saying everybody) even if he can't bring himself to view himself that way. So he does a typical "Dan" and does some over the top parody. But he can really pull it off!

I love his "model" photos and would love to see him do some actual modeling. I'm kind of surprised he hasn't been approached by someone about it (who knows, perhaps he has).

Anyway, he is lovely to look at (lucky Phil!!) and I'm glad he shared his pictures with us. <3
What goes around, comes around Image
snokoplasmic
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

Stuff like this makes me wonder why is it always Phil that does announcement stuff like this? From merch to tour information, Phil is always going to be the one that tweets everything out. Also even with the gaming livestreams coming to an end, I only remember Phil talking about it. Phil has food poisoning right now, I'm sure Dan could tweet out this info while Phil rests. Btw I'm not hating or anything I'm just curious.
I was thinking about this the other day- it might be different behind the scenes but from an outsiders perspective it makes their business partnership seem uneven. Phil was the only one that tweeted out about Love, Nikki, he tweeted about the new plushies (dan did like the tweet but didn’t retweet) he tweets about dates and store sales...if they all have an even share in the profits I hope they all have an equal share in the work.

Phil also seems to do a lot bts with the gaming channel, the selection of games, the set-up, the admin side...i would really be curious to hear them talk about how they divide the work load
I think about this too -- I mean, i have no doubt that Dan does lots of work, but I can't help but wonder why he never gets involved in promotion/spon stuff beyond a retweet sometimes
hello9217
flower crown

whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 am

I'm pretty sure it's been talked about before that Dan does a lot of the editing for the gaming videos. If that's true, that's definitely a large part of the workload. Plus, there's a shitload of behind the scenes stuff that we know nothing about. They've worked together for so long that I definitely think they've figured out what works for them, and that they do an equal share of the work, whatever that means to them.

(I'm not trying to come at you btw. I just trust that they know what works for them, and that if there ever was an actual issue with an unequal work divide that they would figure it out amongst themselves and adjust how they do things. But yes, I agree it would be interesting to find out what goes on behind the scenes, just for curiosity's sake)
Yeah trust me I understand that we probably only see 10% of what goes on but I'm just more curious as to why dan would prefer not to go near stuff that is #spon. Like is it really all for the "aesthetic" of how his twitter looks because I don't think one tweet talking about merch or just giving info looks that bad. I actually think they work well together seeing as how dan seems to dislike having to spon stuff and Phil doesn't seem to give a shit. I know we joke about Phil being the king of #spon but if he doesn't do it then who will?
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Yeah trust me I understand that we probably only see 10% of what goes on but I'm just more curious as to why dan would prefer not to go near stuff that is #spon. Like is it really all for the "aesthetic" of how his twitter looks because I don't think one tweet talking about merch or just giving info looks that bad. I actually think they work well together seeing as how dan seems to dislike having to spon stuff and Phil doesn't seem to give a shit. I know we joke about Phil being the king of #spon but if he doesn't do it then who will?
The last spon Dan did was for Tinder. Technically he was in the videos for Crunchyroll but the 2 videos went up on AP and the gaming channel.
I know Dan talks about “integrity” and he doesn’t seem to love spon but his twitter isn’t really that serious- he tweets our pics of himself in the bath and cakes with the word “philussy” on it so it might be aesthetics but still seems a silly reason.
It may not matter to them, especially if they do have a joint account, and they probably don’t put as much thought into it as we do but Dan has always been weird about this- even with his recommended channels on YouTube - he added Phil to his list last year and they’d had the gaming channel and the duo branding long before that.
Again prob none of our business but I can’t help being curious
ijustwantdeath
squish

hello9217 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:31 am

I think it's probably because most of the core audience aka potential customers whether it is tour tickets or new merch or plushies (basically any one who would invest actual money on dnp)would follow both dan as well as phil. Whereas most of their audience who only click on main channel videos are likely to follow dan more than phil and wouldn't really give a shit about the merch. So it makes sense for Phil to tweet and #spon more.

I also think it has a lot to do with their personalities - Dan with his ~aesthetic and distaste for capitalism and ads in general (do yall remember the rant he went on in one of his liveshow's about how merch isn't that important to buy because when he was young he didn't really have money to buy the merch that he liked, so it's just something for the people who do have the money). And Phil? He's just living up to his Capital£ester branding.
fun fun fun
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Okay but can you imagine them doing this for a video? It would be so good :ghostclaps:
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
lovelycutiesdnp
not a first-time poster

KatjaZoe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:53 am Okay but can you imagine them doing this for a video? It would be so good :ghostclaps:
it would make a great video. like, I can imagine Phil being really into it and then dan being skeptical :lol:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

lovelycutiesdnp wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 am
KatjaZoe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:53 am Okay but can you imagine them doing this for a video? It would be so good :ghostclaps:
it would make a great video. like, I can imagine Phil being really into it and then dan being skeptical :lol:
my god, yes. though I'm pretty sure dan will chicken out. he fears the paranormal yet doesn't believe in it!?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

It's just occurred to me how long it's been since we knew a Dan video was coming, but had no idea what it was. I guess the last one that even counts as kind of a surprise was the depression video, though we knew Dan was uploading a video and we knew (at least in the few days beforehand) that it had to do with mental health. Since then on dinof we've had Halloween baking (which we knew to expect), the Interactive Introverts announcement (which doesn't count as a video), ISG (which I think no one was surprised by because it was about time for one of those), and the meme video (which was announced beforehand on twitter).

So what do you guys think this upcoming dinof video will actually be?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:55 am So what do you guys think this upcoming dinof video will actually be?
I'm trying to think of video ideas he's brought up in the past year. He mentioned possibly make a video on his experiences with therapists, so that could maybe be it. I'm drawing a blank on what other video ideas he's mentioned. Has there been any more? This is kind of out of left field, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did a video on sexuality sometime this year. Not necessarily a focus on his own sexuality, but just the topic in general (with maybe a bit of personal info thrown in). This might be a bit controversial, and I don't expect a big coming out or anything like that - he just seems to be associating with a lot of queer things lately, and it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to make a video on that topic.

Other than that, I can't think of anymore specific videos he might make. I think it'll probably be a more 'classic dinof' video with sketches since it's been a while since the last one of those (i.e. the depression video).
vincentian
hobbit hair

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:55 am So what do you guys think this upcoming dinof video will actually be?
1) Experimenting with a appearance and trying things out of one's comfort zone? Dan could show pics and discuss his experience of getting used to curly hair, trying out nail polish, long tunic hoodies, new style of earrings etc. Cue some inspirational message.
2) He could still do an actual main channel video on dealing with online bullying, documenting what he has done with StopSpeakSupport.
3) A new ISG. :sideeye:
4) Some random rant on a subject with a meme tangent. :sideeye: :sideeye:

Now that I typed this out I'm scared it's going to be disappointing either way. Pls let it be a funny collab with someone.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

vincentian wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:11 am
1) Experimenting with a appearance and trying things out of one's comfort zone? Dan could show pics and discuss his experience of getting used to curly hair, trying out nail polish, long tunic hoodies, new style of earrings etc. Cue some inspirational message.
2) He could still do an actual main channel video on dealing with online bullying, documenting what he has done with StopSpeakSupport.
3) A new ISG. :sideeye:
4) Some random rant on a subject with a meme tangent. :sideeye: :sideeye:

Now that I typed this out I'm scared it's going to be disappointing either way. Pls let it be a funny collab with someone.
Listen! Now I’ve read the first opinion I want that to be it. Why did you have to do that to me :cry: now whatever it is I’ll be disappointed. I swear.....if it is any of the bottom two..... :evil: I can’t watch another meme video! I still don’t understand the last one
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I really have no idea! Usually he at least hints about it on younow or twitter, but he's said nothing other than that he has a few possible ideas. I think it's possible that he could talk about Stop Speak Support, but part of me thinks he won't want to upload a serious video so early in the year. I feel like it couldn't be an ISG, given that he only uploaded one the video before last.

I can maybe see him expanding on what he was talking about in the liveshow, about how he regrets not being interested in sport as a kid due to his family being disinterested in sport, and he could use his recent obsession with the Winter Olympics as an example. He'd be able to make that funny and relatable, and use childhood anecdotes as well as skits, with the deeper message of how there's no such thing as wasted potential and it's never too late to become interested in something maybe? I'd make a video on that, tbh :lol:
kavat
pastel persona

I'm also very curious about what its gonna be about, and that makes me more excited I think. As dizzy said we have either known or figured out the next video beforehand lately and that always leads to expectations. Those can be met or exceeded but someone is always going to be disappointed because they expected something else. This time we don't even have a hint more than some topic he mentioned a long time ago, and it makes me more curious.

I do understand people who wants to know beforehand though, surprises are not for everyone. But right now I feel excited about a dinof for the first time in ages.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

ijustwantdeath wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:35 am
hello9217 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:31 am

I think it's probably because most of the core audience aka potential customers whether it is tour tickets or new merch or plushies (basically any one who would invest actual money on dnp)would follow both dan as well as phil. Whereas most of their audience who only click on main channel videos are likely to follow dan more than phil and wouldn't really give a shit about the merch. So it makes sense for Phil to tweet and #spon more.

I also think it has a lot to do with their personalities - Dan with his ~aesthetic and distaste for capitalism and ads in general (do yall remember the rant he went on in one of his liveshow's about how merch isn't that important to buy because when he was young he didn't really have money to buy the merch that he liked, so it's just something for the people who do have the money). And Phil? He's just living up to his Capital£ester branding.
Yea I'm curious too about who does what in their many business ventures. I suspect they found a good balance over the years. Though if there was some disagreement I wonder how we'd find out, short of the disagreement running so deep they'd split up like a rock band (...and then maybe we'd get a tv docu telling us about Dan's wild sex parties with management and Phil's growing cocaine problem :lol: ) .
I think it's just the case that Phil is more prominent in the more visible aspects of what they do. If you look at other big youtubers, a lot of them have a crew. Somebody that films, a (full-time) editor, ... Dan and Phil have none of that, as far as we know. So i'm thinking Dan does a bit more of the editing or maybe the technical setup when they film etc., while Phil does a bit more of the prep and the admin. Or maybe Dan does more of the "networking" and is the liaison to external stakeholders while Phil keeps on top of the more direct marketing.

When it comes to sponsoring their work divide is a bit more interesting because you would think it would be ideal if both of them would equally try to promote the business. That's a pretty commercial mindset though and for all we know, one or both of them isn't really that bothered with doing everything optimally from a financial point of view. "Capital Lester" has become something of an accepted truth and "Dan's integrity" could also play a role in all of this, but it's hard to tell how bothered they really are with pushing all their stuff to the maximum extent, imo.
Sometimes I roll my eyes a bit at what I think are obvious ways of capitalizing on their audience (dog calendars for the masses, meet&greets,...) but then I also have the feeling that their motivations are always a bit mixed (they want to give fans an opportunity to meet them and make a killing of it) and in the end you don't know whether a product is something they came up with themselves or rather something they ran along with. It's all pretty interwoven. There's also the fact that Martyn and all the other ppl working at the IRL store are making a living based on what they do, which I imagine makes a huge difference. Dan and Phil realize that if they don't bring new merch or do things like tours that ensure the revenue of that store... revenue would decline and people eventually would have to be laid off. So i bet they feel a responsibility as employers, even if they aren't directly responsible for running the company. The same thing could be true for other initiatives where they might in reality feel very "meh" about it but which their engagements kind of push them into. We've got no clue of the offers they get and commitments they've made to people.

Another possible reason I see for Phil doing more of the promo stuff comes from 'practical' reasons. They are self-aware of their perception, and perhaps they've judged it more effective if Phil does most of the sponning, because people would be more critical of Dan. Or it could be simply because Phil minds less, or because Dan in the past has had trouble being consistently reliable to handle 'work mails' (as he somewhat suggests in his video about depression) and then maybe Phil stepped in.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

a part of me hopes dan feels comfortable enough to make another 'regular' video (that isn't a phil collab or spon). spraying deodorant in his eye, the bahamas fiasco, even the depression video to an extent (like, it doesn't have to be up-roaringly funny every time). i think he feels pressure to have every dinof channel video have a moral message or lesson these days; that's a lot of expectation for any content creator. but even moreso if you're someone who is continually figuring yourself out and how best to cope in your own life. it's unrealistic to expect yourself to have profound revelations every month, and then to convey and ~relate them to others.

to me it's not even about fans lowering their expectations (because i know this view will be given). most of us seem to actually just enjoy his storytelling or take on an issue or spin on a challenge, because we're subbed to the creators we're subbed to for a reason. we enjoy them.
art in avatar by lily
Shibi
squish

Stakhanov wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:08 am Though if there was some disagreement I wonder how we'd find out, short of the disagreement running so deep they'd split up like a rock band (...and then maybe we'd get a tv docu telling us about Dan's wild sex parties with management and Phil's growing cocaine problem :lol: ) .
I just spit out my tea :D I need a mockumentary about that!

I suspect we might get a more serious dinof video, which is why it's taking some time. Maybe he does the therapy experience video that he mentioned once, maybe something about other life experiences or bullying (though I don't know if he will actually do one about that on his main channel, after all he already did the internet is mean).
But honestly at this point I would take anything :number1:
Stakhanov
haru pillow

mermaid blood wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 am a part of me hopes dan feels comfortable enough to make another 'regular' video (that isn't a phil collab or spon). spraying deodorant in his eye, the bahamas fiasco, even the depression video to an extent (like, it doesn't have to be up-roaringly funny every time). i think he feels pressure to have every dinof channel video have a moral message or lesson these days; that's a lot of expectation for any content creator. but even moreso if you're someone who is continually figuring yourself out and how best to cope in your own life. it's unrealistic to expect yourself to have profound revelations every month, and then to convey and ~relate them to others.

to me it's not even about fans lowering their expectations (because i know this view will be given). most of us seem to actually just enjoy his storytelling or take on an issue or spin on a challenge, because we're subbed to the creators we're subbed to for a reason. we enjoy them.
I feel your post. It's not easy to get a good understanding of where Dan is at with his youtube or life in general. I love that derp, i hope he still likes to be that guy that makes video's for a living.
He just contradicts himself at times. Relatable. But I feel like i always understand what place he's coming from. He likes to be the perfectionist, a content creator who brings us entertaining yet profound video's about topics. I remember when he talked about the 'creation process' of DINOF vids that he aims to make every video about a topic "complete", so he feels like he should do proper research on topics until he feels confident that he can make the "definitive" dinof version on it. Which is a terrible idea. You can't predict whether you'll want to revisit a topic, I certainly hope he will make another one about cyberbullying. Feeling confident that you're knowledgeable about something is, with Dan's character in mind, the surest way to make a video not happen or make the whole process excruciatingly slow.
Still, I understand him. He wants to have integrity and stand out a bit from the youtubers who just produce regular content every day. That's one reason I do like his main channel video's: they are usually finished pieces of work which have a higher quality and standard of finishing than most other video's i watch - especially considering there's no 'team' behind him (well except Phil :-P ).
It can also put him in an impossible situation. What do you do when you want to have integrity and want people to value your content first but then people mostly are appreciating you for your character, your looks, your presumed relationship with a friend? I guess making a 'ironic' gorgeous selfie to please the fans and at the same time loathe yourself because 'you're the guy with the flesh on parade yup that's you Dan'?
You can almost see the inner conflict Dan has about things playing out in some of things he does. I wager that explains a good deal of the "sarcastic" and "extra" attitude people associate with him: he's just honest and conflicted about a lot of the things he does.

If he'd ask me, I'd tell him to stop trying to only make those video's that bring us a timeless and universal revelation about the human condition. Those you won't find every month, and you're way more likely to find inspiration for those while you're making other content. I wish he would approach his channel with a more risk-taking, more free attitude. Make that political video you just want to make. Give the people what they want with a "cheap" day in the life of... or appartment tour. None of those things can stop you from creating more creative, niche content too that you yourself find valuable. If the alternative is slowly burning out on youtube or feeling that you're stuck in an ever smaller box of branding, expectations and crippling standards... what do you have to lose Daniel?
Sadly he's not asking me so i'm telling you. I know, you didn't ask for this either :mrgreen: But then why are you on this forum reading this?.

So my expectations for the next DINOF video? Only the highest, and I hope he blows me away with a personal and thoughtful video about something near and dear to us. If it's something predictable with some meme tangents, I'm down for that too, it just hope he brings us some of all the content we love him for.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Shibi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 am
Stakhanov wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:08 am Though if there was some disagreement I wonder how we'd find out, short of the disagreement running so deep they'd split up like a rock band (...and then maybe we'd get a tv docu telling us about Dan's wild sex parties with management and Phil's growing cocaine problem :lol: ) .
I just spit out my tea :D I need a mockumentary about that!

I suspect we might get a more serious dinof video, which is why it's taking some time. Maybe he does the therapy experience video that he mentioned once, maybe something about other life experiences or bullying (though I don't know if he will actually do one about that on his main channel, after all he already did the internet is mean).
But honestly at this point I would take anything :number1:
After tatinof a lot of people were talking about how they hoped they would talk about the "sleeping situation" in the bus or other things relating to the time they spend together while i was secretly hoping for something like This Is Spinal Tap! where they would just mercilessly mock themselves and the whole idea of the tour. Preferably dressed as 80s glam rockers, in a fake interview style or something like that.
I think they could make it, i think they joke about it among themselves ;) But it's probably not what most people would have wanted to see :D
dancy
procrastinator

mermaid blood wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 am a part of me hopes dan feels comfortable enough to make another 'regular' video (that isn't a phil collab or spon). spraying deodorant in his eye, the bahamas fiasco, even the depression video to an extent (like, it doesn't have to be up-roaringly funny every time). i think he feels pressure to have every dinof channel video have a moral message or lesson these days; that's a lot of expectation for any content creator. but even moreso if you're someone who is continually figuring yourself out and how best to cope in your own life. it's unrealistic to expect yourself to have profound revelations every month, and then to convey and ~relate them to others.

I definitely love his story-telling or casual videos and that's also what I'm hoping his next video will be. What makes you think he might not feel comfortable making a regular video or wants his videos to have moral messages/lessons though? His latest videos didn't really have any of that. Top Dan memes was a summary of last year's memes, Internet Support Group is basically him answering emails, Daniel and Depression/What Not To Do At University involved him sharing his own experiences and offering "advice", How White Is Dan had him reading out his DNA test results etc. I know these are quite simplistic descriptions and perhaps I don’t look deep enough but I don’t get the impression that he focuses on spreading moral messages in his videos, apart from some comments here and there.

I don't think a big chunk of his viewers expect that from him either. His second most watched video last year was Dan Takes Quizzes About Himself and while that was not his proudest work, it does kinda show that a lot of viewers don't particularly mind filler videos. I think as long as the video is enjoyable and personal (as in talking about himself), most people will be satisfied.
hello9217
flower crown

I mean in his liveshow someone asked if he would make a video discussing stop speak support and he said that they uploaded really good videos on their channel if they want to see those kinds of things. Then he talked about how his next video would just be a “regular” video. So I think it’s just going to be another story time type of vid. (Maybe he will finally make the dentist video.) I think it will be a good viddy because I really like the casual uploads that are just funny. Like I’m pretty sure Dan taking quizzes about himself is definitely one of my fave videos ever on his channel.
dancy
procrastinator

Sorry for double posting but the fact that Dan didn't bother retweeting Phil's tweet about the two extra tour dates and also unretweets Phil's gaming video tweets is hilarious to me. I think he just genuinely is obsessed with aesthetics and the way his account looks and doesn't want any spons there (maybe out of shame as well). I wouldn't be surprised if he even decided to private the Interactive Introverts trailer after the tour has ended.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

dancy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:52 pm Sorry for double posting but the fact that Dan didn't bother retweeting Phil's tweet about the two extra tour dates and also unretweets Phil's gaming video tweets is hilarious to me. I think he just genuinely is obsessed with aesthetics and the way his account looks and doesn't want any spons there (maybe out of shame as well). I wouldn't be surprised if he even decided to private the Interactive Introverts trailer after the tour has ended.
Yup I think that's a fair prediction. I think it really is the aesthetic of it, I think Dan doesn't like his channel having too many retweets/too much spon/promo.
DryCereal
koi pond

A big huge massive +1 on the "if one/both were unhappy about something they'd work it out between them without us knowing" and the "work is probably well-split between them" points. how difficult do you guys think it is to click "retweet" for heaven's sake?! Dan's been openly uncomfortable with things available/for fans that aren't free, so I see it as an extension of that, too.

Also: Hi! @rizzo bullied me into posting this. Blame her.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted: