Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

Well that was an interesting video, though I'm not sure that I learned anything I didn't already suspect.
I do hope that he finds the happiness that he is searching for.

I too miss his sketch type videos.
BSV
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Having literally watched the episode of Queer Eye last night where the 'straightest gay in Atlanta' comes out to his step mum, I was pretty riled up by the title (don't they constantly say he has to 'live his truth' etc in the episode?)
I actually, for the first time ever, was expecting Dan to come out - which i guess he kinda did?
Last edited by BSV on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susan2
rainbow nerd

great vid :thumb:

i think many people relate to the struggles he's going through (that vid was way too real for me!). honestly my heart hurts for him - having to go through stuff like that infront of an audience can't be nice.

i'm too scared to even glance at the comments. i truly hope people are mature and respectful and just 'let him live'.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LtrllySusan wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:29 pm Umm well... I am not quite sure what to think if this?

It was very vague and honestly felt more like a video that Dan made for himself than for other people. He spoke in the form of "you should", but it felt more like a "I want to". Does he find happiness by making a video about finding happiness? By not-so-subtly dropping sexuality hints or even phan hints? Can he even find happiness with that whole phan mystery being a constant elephant in the room?
This is a great question. I think I would say - yes. If part of what he's not allowed himself to do and part of the self-inflicted rules and restrictions keeping him from being happy involves not letting himself talk about sex and sexuality in terms of his own self and always keeping a perspective barrier there (saying things about sex/sexuality but not applying them directly to himself), then I think it is possible to find happiness by allowing himself to be just that little bit more honest about something that's a big part of his life.

And this is not related to the response above but I'm just gonna stick this here for posterity:
thesadassassin
dank meme

mark my words we're gonna get official confirmation of phan by the end of this year
but of course they can come out whenever theyre ready i aint gonna force it
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

dan's sex life involves a dick that isn't his own confirmed. :ribena:

The rest of that video... uhm. I don't react well to any of Dan's philosophical mental health self reflection stuff. This one hasn't left me feeling like shit like the depression video but yeah. I'm gonna sleep on this one, watch it again tomorrow to see if I'm better and then give thoughts. Maybe. Perhaps I'm just that shook over the sex thing that I can't comprehend anything else atm right? :')
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

Does anyone know what the magnets on the fridge saying Dan and Phil were? Have they ever shown them in videos before?
also why is there an arrow pointing to an hourglass next to them
Elyanie
dank meme

I’m???? I have no idea what to think of that video??? It was like 6 whole minutes of me being shook over and over honestly
You are happy when you feel like you're being authentic
dreamerxnheaven
smol bean

fancybum wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 pm I need to say that I find it annoying or something else on a level I don't even have words for that it takes (relatively) explicit references to sex including another person's dick to make people think 'oh so he was serious this whole time' - all the other things weren't enough? Including dudes in his Tinder vid and years of (relatively) less explicit mentions of dudes wasn't enough? He needs to say 'I love dick in my mouth' for people to maybe finally accept 'oh he likes dick' - I mean if spelling that out is him living his truth, GO DAN, but omg I'm already tired at everything.
dreamerxnheaven wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:40 pm (Also I deadass thought "Is this the moment? Is Dan ready to officially come out of the closet?" when I saw the title and then he started talking about Sex in present tense and despite my initial reaction to the title i did NOT expect that.)
I mean. what is this. Maybe living his truth is just continuing to reject people shoving him in a fucking closet against his will even now after all these years with some firmer language. Whatever, bye.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here but I didn't mean this as in he NEEDS to become really graphic or that everything else he said regarding his attraction to men isn't valid, just that a lot of people either "expect" him to "officially" come out via video or maybe never heard that much about it until now because they're casual fans who don't watch liveshows and so on. Personally I was always under the impression that Dan probably wouldn'd do a "serious" coming out video (and of course he doesn't need to) and my initial surprise due to the thought that maybe i was wrong was what I wanted to describe.
Sorry for rambling it's just that you seemed really angry and I kinda didn't expect that because I didn't mean any harm with that comment, I'm sorry if it upset you. :(
greenergrass
stress mushroom

fancybum wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 pm I need to say that I find it annoying or something else on a level I don't even have words for that it takes (relatively) explicit references to sex including another person's dick to make people think 'oh so he was serious this whole time' - all the other things weren't enough? Including dudes in his Tinder vid and years of (relatively) less explicit mentions of dudes wasn't enough? He needs to say 'I love dick in my mouth' for people to maybe finally accept 'oh he likes dick' - I mean if spelling that out is him living his truth, GO DAN, but omg I'm already tired at everything.
I agree that if anyone still thought Dan was straight before this video, then I don't know who they've been watching the past couple years. But still, I'm proud of him for being more explicitly open about his non-straightness. He's come a long way. It's clearly something he's worked on, with the whole 'being authentic' thing, and I'm happy for him that that is one part of his life that he's been able to be more open about and allow him to strive towards more happiness.

Also, old news, but Dan continues to be incredibly relatable. Too relatable. (seriously, this video was basically a paraphrasing of my recent therapy sessions lmao. It's so clear now that he talks to a therapist, because a lot of the words/phrases he uses are very very similar to my therapy sessions).

One of the things that has clicked the most with me was his talk about being 'authentic' in a liveshow last year, and it's something I've taken away and thought about and tried to work on myself since that liveshow, so I'm glad he expanded on that and decided to make a video on the topic.
Last edited by greenergrass on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dancy
procrastinator

God, that was...something. I had to pause the video each time he mentioned something sex-/sucking dick-related and take a moment to digest it. I think the video itself was good as well (and has forced me to do some introspective thinking) and made sense considering what he said in his last live show about how he's been doing lately. I think him mentioning wanting to go back to university was quite interesting as well.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Oooohhh damnnn Dan went there. Live your truth boy I support you. And when you google oral fixation don't mind me please share with the class I'm very interested...

And the rest of the video is just too real. Like @fancybum I think I'll let you guys dissect it. Jeez what am I doing with my life...
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
hello9217
flower crown

thesadassassin wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 pm mark my words we're gonna get official confirmation of phan by the end of this year
This is a really strong hint though. Like Dan in the ls last week "I honestly never leave this house. It's not even a joke; I just am here all the time" Dan in this video, "The present things that make me happy is having sex" and then he ended with "I'm going to have chocolate and something else in my mouth" I'm paraphrasing but this is basically what he's said so unless another person is living with them then I think we can assume the person he's having regular sex with is Phil.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Phew, that was quite something. Pretty much also left with a lasting thought of “pretty clear we’re meant to think of a penis in your mouth along with pizza”. I’m proud of him for making this, though I didn’t love the short insert of “intersectionality”, even in a fairly short video that deserves more explanation, and I don’t think anyone chooses to be asexual. Living your truth, similar to how Paul McKenna says “live your values” in his hypnotherapy CDs, is a good thing to aim for and I think he got his point across pretty well.

I feel like I’ve only really got to it in the last year after going back and forth for a few years, at least job-wise which has been one of my biggest bugbears all my adult life. I love all the asides of his other thoughts, you can go round and round arguing with yourself, but if it’s hard to make a decision or change things, then it’s hard and fear can be a controlling bastard.

Also yep, the board behind him says “Let me live”.

He made a cute sad clown (where my mind went, anyway) with the yoghurt and raspberry on his face. Good touch to have the berry fall off.
000dia000
emo goose

Holy shit, what a fucking video. First thing's first, to get it out of the way, his hair was super fluffy.

Tbh I'm actually shook, like everybody else, lol. I did not expect that. The title itself made me think "sounds like a coming out vid". When he mentioned sex, I was waiting for some sort of comment alluding to the lack of it, but then he was pretty blatant with it being in the present tense. What's all the more amazing, is that the comment can't be explained away as heterosexual. He literally meant dick. Not only that but "oral fixation" implying that he it's something he does a lot/thinks about a lot/enjoys. TMI, I didn't need to know so much about their sex life, wtf. I'd really like to hear from the special people that would still think Dan's straight after this. I know, I know, it doesn't mean phan!! but we know damn well that Dan knows how most people will interpret what he said. While it is TMI, it's interesting that he's suddenly a little more open about himself like this when the last time he alluded to something sexual about himself was in his diss with "go eat pizza and masturbate." (or at least that I remember)

Watching the entirety of the video, I was kind of smiling but also kind of dying inside while watching. The tone he uses throughout and the depreciating humour, scraping down parts of himself open bare in this video felt too real. I usually brush off this kind of "humour" as just something Dan falls back on, but this video felt like the first time it wasn't really humour? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right, but I feel like everytime Dan has spoken about depression or motivation before this in videos, it was a bit generic and I realize now wasn't grounded because he held back a bit personally and kept it vague and more "relatable" for the sake of his audience. This video however really struck close to home. He felt like someone I know in real life who went through depression and would be so deadpan and straightforward. Maybe he just wanted to get to the point, or maybe it was a conscious decision to strip away the jokes he used to use to actually make a video where there are no barriers held up? The fact the video is only around six minutes really feels like that this isn't an "entertainment" video. Despite all the jokes and skits, it didn't really feel like something he was trying to make entertaining, but something he really wanted to get out there. Sitting through it, I kind of felt he was actually kind of speaking to me for the first time and I felt so called out. He really wanted to make this opinion known, and he really wanted to make a statement. One, that just because he made a video on depression, doesn't mean he is over it, and also as the title suggests he wanted to get something out into the open. This video really felt like a "coming out" in a way, and in a lowkey way Dan has probably ever wanted.

Other than that, I think he was alluding to thoughts of wanting to go back to university? I'd be so happy if he did because I think it would give him so much more focus. The rate he makes videos actually allows for him to study comfortably. Who knows if he actually does or not and the comment was just something weighing on his mind, but it's just noteworthy how much he has alluded to it over the last year.

Anyway, I don't think I'll watch the video a second time. I didn't actually enjoy the experience of watching it, but it left me a lot to think about, personally. I suppose in that way, I loved it.
:cactus:
pearshaped34
morning quiff

This. I mean I accept this video is a little different because this is the first time Dan has ever confirmed he has a sex life that involves more than his own hand but the fact he is attracted to men was already well established.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

You know, I found the video highly boring BUT it made me very happy knowing that Dan feels that he can be more open and comfortable talking about these things with us.

I have been a fan for 4 years now and it’s so interesting seeing this change and open-ness that we have from him now, rather than the closed off, almost hiding everything Dan we had. I also like the more mature chats (Dan talking about oral sex and Phil with the innuendos), it’s like they know their audience has also grown up to an extent and I’m happy to have a bit more content that I can relate too!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

Say what you want, but Mr. Takes His Video Content V Seriously Daniel James Howell deliberately filmed a new location peeking from the other side of a 'doorway' with giant a** f*cking magnets of an Arrow pointing to Time next to Dan and Phil :o :o :o :o :o
You cannot tell me that wasn't the biggest Easter egg ever. I. Am. Shook. :jd: :glasses: :faint: :philtrash:
thesadassassin
dank meme

hello9217 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:04 pm
thesadassassin wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 pm mark my words we're gonna get official confirmation of phan by the end of this year
This is a really strong hint though. Like Dan in the ls last week "I honestly never leave this house. It's not even a joke; I just am here all the time" Dan in this video, "The present things that make me happy is having sex" and then he ended with "I'm going to have chocolate and something else in my mouth" I'm paraphrasing but this is basically what he's said so unless another person is living with them then I think we can assume the person he's having regular sex with is Phil.
true but im someone who cant fully believe in something until theres definitive proof (hence my athiesm). I can imagine it but i cant 100% believe it so i need it to come out of their mouths (joke intended) for me to certain.
Evening42
dank meme

The comments about his sex life had me shook and I’m glad he felt comfortable enough to talk about that and also his depression and that it’s still an ongoing battle. However my overwhelming impression at the end of the video was how exhausted and slightly sad he looked - maybe I’m over calling it but it made me worried.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

sex comments felt pretty nonrelationshippy to me but ymmv

i want more on that minimal plastic usage decision though, come on environmental howell
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

fancybum wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:23 pm ok wow that vid was too real for me and I don't want to talk about it lmao but good job it'll keep everybody off his back for another month or two :thanks:
fancybum wrote:I need to say that I find it annoying or something else on a level I don't even have words for that it takes (relatively) explicit references to sex including another person's dick to make people think 'oh so he was serious this whole time' - all the other things weren't enough?
Same to both of these. Everyone's reducing sexuality to sex and the performative part of sexuality these days and meh. You said it better than I could, so I'll shush now.

That was something and I loved the openess and I really, really hope people aren't going to give him shit over any of the stuff he said and implicated in this one. That's all. I just want him to be happy tbh. He's brought me (and most of us) so much happiness over the years, I want him to be happy too.
anonymousdork
delia smith

he... he Did That™
Your ass is where you feel all your most important emotions
so_cheesy
butt chair

thesadassassin wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 pm
hello9217 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:04 pm
true but im someone who cant fully believe in something until theres definitive proof (hence my athiesm). I can imagine it but i cant 100% believe it so i need it to come out of their mouths (joke intended) for me to certain.
if this video wasn’t definitive proof coming out of dan’s mouth then i don’t know what

i wouldn’t expect anything more than this. just let him live.
iero
phabergé

honestly? i found this video boring. the uni comment i found interesting and the sex comment had shock value (of him actually bringing it up, not the male attraction aspect bc we knew) but other than that i was like zzz throughout

proud of him for comfortably being himself tho