Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

Hello I finished Dan’s liveshow just recently (was late bc I was lazy and didn’t feel like watching it yesterday) but it was good! I liked the conversations and stuff he talked about, even if I did get a tiny bit bored sometimes. I look forward to whatever dinof video he makes next

(Oof why is this at the top of the page I’m sorry)
:transheart:
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

fancybum wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 am 15:17 (chat) Do you have a fave constellation?
15:29 “Who do you think has the time to have a favourite constellation? Oh my god, do you think I’m just some person from a John Green book that lies in a field with some terminally ill friend looking up at constellations and talking about how they remind me of philosophers or something? ‘Cause that ain’t me, I don’t know.”
i loved this the most - calling ppl out for seeing him as someone he's v much not. it reminds me of the pastel thing, where folks insist on seeing him as this ~soft boye~ - of course he's a bit soft sometimes, and he's probably ridiculously opinionated about dumb little things (not constellations apparently), but that's not how he is most of the time. most of the time he's dark and sarcastic and far too busy to wax poetic about insignificant things like stars :lol: i love when he calls us (general phandom) out on our bs
human
dan hand trash

KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:04 pm And I'm not saying AT ALL that i think people should be more critical of Phil, just less towards Dan, ya know?
:stan: <3

Thank the lord someone else has finally said this. I was just saying yesterday to a deppy friend that I’m fairly close to signing off here and not coming back as I’m honestly so tired of the not even substantiated or reasoned bullying of Dan. It’s just people feeling crankypants from what I can see and it’s cruel. I don’t want to be part of it tbh.

I’m also a bit disappointed to see the mental health criticisms from yesterday weren’t modded at all. Js.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: she/her

thank god i'm not the only one who's noticed phil has mentioned his eyes a lot, lately. he's said the tears things before, not that long ago, it's odd, does he not remember? i wonder if he's struggling a little bit with not having fresh things to say (that he feels comfortable saying). it could also be that he's genuinely fixated on his eyes deteriorating and it worries him a bit. i recall them shutting down the spontaneous sharing a little on accounts like their twitter before the other two tour legs also; maybe they're reminded people other than fans are reading. although, both their likes and retweets have been pretty open the last few months, so it doesn't quite fit.

fancybum wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 am :cactus: Phil and Misc Watch 2018 :cinnamon:
my new fave spot for having an existential crisis (Feb 20, 2018)
Prompted Phil Mention
18:13 (chat) I’m so hyped to meet you and Phil this year
“Look forward to that”

21:29 (chat) Would you do another Dan and Phil tour?
“I dunno. We thought that tatinof would be the last Dan and Phil tour, but then we felt bad that there were lots of international places that had a lot of subscribers that we didn’t go to, so after this, I dunno. If you wanna come bond with us in real life- I mean Phil’s probably just gonna trip over something and die so here’s your chance.”

21:55 “We will film the show at the end, probably, for posterity”
“We’re not gonna do a whole documentary thing like with tatinof, we’ll probably just share more of it live as it happens”

57:20 (chat) Phil’s birthday cake, what happened
“We ate it, it was fine, there was absolutely nothing weird about it”
Unprompted Phil Mention
:alienmpreg:
Neutral Phil Mention
15:50 (chat) What’d you get up to in Jan?
“The event of the whole month was Phil’s birthday, which literally never stopped. Jesus Christ, this guy, he strung out his birthday for like two weeks. He said ‘I’m gonna separate everyone I know into different groups - like this friend, this friend, my parents, my brother, these people that we work with - and we will have a birthday party with all of them’. By the end I was like, ‘I’m ready for Phil to die a natural death because I’m sure we’ve had about 80 years worth of birthdays right now’”

16:40 “I did not leave the ditty meme in 2017 and I iced ‘Philussy’ onto his birthday cake, which was hilarious, and he had to explain that to his mum, which was his responsibility, but I don’t care.”

17:12 “We spent like a week just finishing this cake, and it was good. I’m pretty sure for the last 3 days we shouldn’t have been eating that cake but [yolo]”

18:20 (chat) TBC dates
“Okay, so, the Dan and Phil 2018 World Tour, going to basically most of the countrties in the world, there’s some dates that aren’t on sale yet, the TBC dates”
19:03 “Basically we’re just waiting for every one of the people to commit and sign on the dotted line so they’re definitely happening and then we’ll put them all out at once, so don’t worry, we’re ready, just waiting for some people and it’s all good.”

19:20 (chat) Can you tell us more about the tour yet?
19:27 “Tell you what I should do, I should instagram some of the drafts for the stage that we’re gonna be performing on, and oh my god it is gonna look insane. It’s like something from the Hunger Games meets a game show and it’s all made out of neon. It’s fricking the coolest looking thing you’ve ever seen in your entire life. It’s so good, so inspired, and we were talking about maybe interesting ways that we can get people involved in the show beforehand that’ll be cool…

But the show- it’s about me and Phil being live on a stage in front of you guys, and we’ve got this whole really funny show where we talk about different things”
“Basically, every single show is gonna be different, because what we’re gonna be doing in each, we’re gonna have this skeleton of this show that asks big questions about ‘who are Dan and Phil, who are their audience, what’s their relationship, what does it mean to give the people what they want, what is the relationship between a performer and the audience, what would happen if you just gave people total control’ and yes, let’s just say that what one person might experience at one show will be totally different to another, everyone will feel like we were connected, we went through the highs and the lows, we laughed, we cried, we felt stressed, we felt exposed, probably a lot of people stood up and screamed ‘cause they’re very extroverted and loud, but I guess that’s the whole point of the name of the tour.”
-terrified. it’s a murder tour. they’re going to hunt down every single fan that has ever invaded their privacy in any way (and you know Phil has all the receipts) and murder them on stage while bantering. front row is the splash zone.

21:19 “danandphiltour.com”

26:15 “As part of Phil’s birthday, we went to go see Hamilton”
“Hamilton is incredible, that totally lived up to the hype”

37:02 “If you have not seen the last couple videos on danandphilgames, and you’re feeling bored and you just want something that’s like laugh-a-minute and you’ll just slap yourself in the forehead, go watch them”
38:07 “If you are not watching the Sims series, it’s about to start getting… dramatic”
-“dramatic” = gay :ghostclaps:

40:47 “Me and Phil, we kinda make a video playing a game like once or something, ‘cause we just want it to be a 15 minute funny video, so if we sat down to play Fortnite and then it’s like ‘Dan and Phil did a duo and they came 36th’, I mean, that’d be shit, my god, me and Phil - Phil and I, whatever - doing duos on Fortnite, it tests the limits of our friendship.”

54:55 (chat) Why are you getting rid of the blossom stuff?
“Oh, there’s a sale on danandphilshop. Yeah, we’re running low on the stock of the blossom things, so Phil, I’m sorry, he decided we should do a sale” (code SALESALESALE for 20% off)
-hm didn’t explain why tho hmm

55:52 “So that’s what I’ve been up to in Jan and Feb. Uploading a meme video, Phil’s birthday which literally never ended, a crazy event with Prince William of England, and just me thinking about life and what I wanna be, and who I wanna be, and why, and what I wanna do. And with these intentions locked in my mind to go ahead and make some fun YT content for people on the internet.”
Miscellaneous
3:25 “But the thing is, I really wanted to come back and do another liveshow because it’s very important for me to feel connected to you lot and to feel intimate. The problem was when I was doing it every week on a Tuesday, what would happen if I was having an absolute crisis on that day and I was like ‘I have nothing to say, what is life??’ whereas now I’m like ‘I miss you, let’s go through this’ ”
-good for you, bad for me, no points awarded
4:50 (chat) Please do these more often
“I mean, I don’t intend to not do these for like a month, like I just did, it’s just I needed to chill, you know what I mean?”
-I love words I know I’ll be able to hold against somebody in the near future, so handy for planning upcoming grudges

3:58 (chat) How do I deal with anon hate?
“Don’t have anon on. What year is it? It’s 2018, don’t have a frickin ask.fm or tumblr inbox with anonymity. Nobody needs anonymity, it does nothing other than breed toxicity.”

5:40 “I love the Olympics. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve never really been into “sport” - and that’s like team sport - I don’t know why, it’s just my family never expressed any interest in following any sports, so I never played any, so I was never good at any. I went to school, didn’t want to play it, not into it, and it’s like, I’ve since got into motorsport/Formula 1 in a big way like a couple years ago, but there’s something about the Olympics, I just love it.”
-my family is big into sports and idgaf despite years of their best efforts. if anything, I would blame (if there needs to be “blame” for a lack of subjective interest in a thing?) the school system and the enduring horror of forced competitive group physical activity. no thanks, traumatized and resentful for life, good job “educators”

7:22 (chat) earring update
7:33 “part of me procrastinating from making my next YT video was me [online shopping for All The Things including earrings]”
8:28 “Got a weighted blanket so I can roleplay my favourite anime characters hugging me”
-wow upgrading :haru: so he can be the huggee instead of the hugger. who am i kidding, he's having an imaginary anime threesome

50:52 (chat) I have a weighted blanket
“I’ve heard that it really helps people that are anxious, or people that are autistic, to help them sleep calmly”

8:42 (chat) when is your next YT video?
“I’m gonna make it this week, don’t worry”
“I have a couple ideas and I’m gonna decide which of them is more fully formed tomorrow, I think”

9:45 “I’ve been so hiding-from-the-world-panicking that I changed my tumblr theme”

12:35 “Talking about great music: I want to formally apologize to the world for how much I slept on Brockhampton in 2017, ‘cause that was just disgusting and disappointing.”

15:17 (chat) Do you have a fave constellation?
15:29 “Who do you think has the time to have a favourite constellation? Oh my god, do you think I’m just some person from a John Green book that lies in a field with some terminally ill friend looking up at constellations and talking about how they remind me of philosophers or something? ‘Cause that ain’t me, I don’t know.”
-wait what. has anyone ever seen John Green and Nicholas Sparks in the same room or :illuminati:

22:55 (chat) Have you seen CMBYN?
“Not yet.” [still trying to watch all the Oscar movies]
23:10 “3 Billboards is probably the best one I’ve seen so far”
-this is a Bad and Wrong Opinion that I am Judging Hard, who wants to Fight

23:15 “Shape of Water, I loved”
23:45 “Black Panther though, seriously, what the hell, it was so good”

31:00 “Every single episode [of Queer Eye] emotionally devastates you”
32:35 “So if you want to watch something that’s really easy to watch and fun, but will completely fuck you up emotionally, watch Queer Eye on netflix”

41:50 - 49:55 Stop Speak Support stuff

50:03 (chat) will you do more classic Dan videos?
“All my videos are gonna be classic Dan videos, there’s no plan to change anything up, because I feel that what I want my YT channel to be is me kind of intimately connecting with people via the internet and I feel like me making it all myself - and it looking a bit shit - is a good part of that. That’s not to say I wouldn’t love to do some things that are bigger and better, but yeah, I mean my next video is gonna be a good old regular video of some kind.”

57:25 (chat) You’re so amazing, upload more vids
“God, the eternal questioner of life. ‘Please do more’, okay, I’ll try. I’ve had my little New Year period, and now it’s time to just give you some content to help you feel content. Well, I appreciate that, thank you for watching.”
:whiskers: Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 21 times :whiskers:
21/58.5 mins = 0.35 per min

malday wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:44 am Talking about the tour he said:

@20:22 "We're gonna have this skeleton of this show that asks big questions about 'who are Dan and Phil? who are their audience? what's their relationship? what does it mean to give the people what they want, what is the relationship between a performer and their audience? what would happen if you just gave people total control'."

He keeps using that phrase and while i'm sure they would't really give the audience complete control, i can't help wondering how far they are willing to take this and how they will set boundaries because we can all imagine how it will go if the phandom is given free rein.
He also said 'get involved beforehand ' so I think it'll just be like collecting prompts (for.. whatever.. they're doing) or suggestions(?) before the show, and filtering out the more terrible things we all know they'd get because people are, on the whole, garbage monsters who can't be trusted.
coffeepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am I really hope that's just his usual way of over-hyping things and it's not the central theme of the show. Or if it is, they'll handle it well.
Yeah, they're too control-freakish to not be .. in control lmao. Or to keep the element of surprise, without anything offensive or line-crossing, their tour crew/staff will filter the fan-submitted stuff for them before the shows, so everything is still a surprise, just not a horrible one. Because the alternative.. I mean.. they're not that stupid.. right..?
coffeepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 amI mean, I believe in them and stuff, but TATINOF was already somewhat about that and I will forever judge them for the fanfiction section whatever their intention was.
(ง'̀-'́)ง

oh my gosh, bless you. this must have taken so long to type out!
the archivist in me thanks you because extensive quotes written down are so useful. and there were many juicy ones, it was a great liveshow.

on a personal note i'm proud of dan for continuing to be so honest and warm and continuing to present himself online, no matter how far apart those presentations in all their forms are spread. ditto phil. i'm just here for the ride. i think entitlement breeds dangerous expectations that raise our peers to pedestals made of air. things like concert tickets already purchased, however, are a different matter - constructive criticism and feedback when you're a stakeholder in something is par for the course. it's the objectivity to tell the difference between these two things, and uphold boundaries you would have with your coworkers, friends, and family that is the ongoing challenge. i believe these efforts should be demonstrated toward strangers, though that's a deeper philosophical discussion on empathy.

human wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 am
KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:04 pm And I'm not saying AT ALL that i think people should be more critical of Phil, just less towards Dan, ya know?

Thank the lord someone else has finally said this. I was just saying yesterday to a deppy friend that I’m fairly close to signing off here and not coming back as I’m honestly so tired of the not even substantiated or reasoned bullying of Dan. It’s just people feeling crankypants from what I can see and it’s cruel. I don’t want to be part of it tbh.

I’m also a bit disappointed to see the mental health criticisms from yesterday weren’t modded at all. Js.
I'm saddened to read this.
No reports were submitted through that function, and the moderating team didn't see any rules broken in regards to mocking mental health. It was mentioned in regards to Dan not desiring it to influence how people perceive him, which is permitted on the forum. People will always post opinions that we disagree with as readers, but IDB will not censor those opinions unless they break our forum rules. Members are encouraged to have respectful debate if they disagree with views put forward, that's what we're here for.

We always recommend people step back and take a break if the topic is such that they don't feel they can do that, though. I myself in the capacity of a user have to do that multiple times a day online, moderating role aside. I think if I didn't I would've gone completely insane many years ago, being as I suffer from mental health issues myself.
art in avatar by lily
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

This bit in fancybum’s post made me :rofl:
-terrified. it’s a murder tour. they’re going to hunt down every single fan that has ever invaded their privacy in any way (and you know Phil has all the receipts) and murder them on stage while bantering. front row is the splash zone.
Phil with all the receipts and the leader of the Phil Lester defence squad by his side. That’s why the neon lights are red, to hide the blood ;)

I missed how he put the bit about changing his tumblr theme, bless him.

Good point about sharing, mermaidblood, it makes total sense except, as you say, in some ways they have been more open. If that’s the reason for sharing less of certain things, in that realm they’re still happy with what they are sharing, I suppose, or they wouldn’t. Or it’s something else like they’re just busier. I hope Phil’s eye problems are easily-solvable such as eye drops (I’m guessing he’s been prescribed some, anyway).

Also this, especially the last line.
on a personal note i'm proud of dan for continuing to be so honest and warm and continuing to present himself online, no matter how far apart those presentations in all their forms are spread. ditto phil. i'm just here for the ride. i think entitlement breeds dangerous expectations that raise our peers to pedestals made of air. things like concert tickets already purchased, however, are a different matter - constructive criticism and feedback when you're a stakeholder in something is par for the course. it's the objectivity to tell the difference between these two things, and uphold boundaries you would have with your coworkers, friends, and family that is the ongoing challenge. i believe these efforts should be demonstrated toward strangers, though that's a deeper philosophical discussion on empathy.
:respekt2:
susan2
rainbow nerd

fancybum wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 am
malday wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:44 am Talking about the tour he said:

@20:22 "We're gonna have this skeleton of this show that asks big questions about 'who are Dan and Phil? who are their audience? what's their relationship? what does it mean to give the people what they want, what is the relationship between a performer and their audience? what would happen if you just gave people total control'."

He keeps using that phrase and while i'm sure they would't really give the audience complete control, i can't help wondering how far they are willing to take this and how they will set boundaries because we can all imagine how it will go if the phandom is given free rein.
He also said 'get involved beforehand ' so I think it'll just be like collecting prompts (for.. whatever.. they're doing) or suggestions(?) before the show, and filtering out the more terrible things we all know they'd get because people are, on the whole, garbage monsters who can't be trusted.
coffeepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am I really hope that's just his usual way of over-hyping things and it's not the central theme of the show. Or if it is, they'll handle it well.
Yeah, they're too control-freakish to not be .. in control lmao. Or to keep the element of surprise, without anything offensive or line-crossing, their tour crew/staff will filter the fan-submitted stuff for them before the shows, so everything is still a surprise, just not a horrible one. Because the alternative.. I mean.. they're not that stupid.. right..?
coffeepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 amI mean, I believe in them and stuff, but TATINOF was already somewhat about that and I will forever judge them for the fanfiction section whatever their intention was.
(ง'̀-'́)ง
As Dan & Phil have never asked "the people" what they want, yet keep saying the tour is "giving the people what they want"...I'm guessing from that, and the volume of mentions of it, that it's going to be a pretty core part of the show.

I thought Dan's use of the word 'performer' was interesting, juxtaposed with the previous references to 'real Dan and Phil' during the tour. Mix that with his description of the set - "it's like something from the Hunger Games meets a game show" - and I think I'm beginning to get a feel for where this could possibly all be going.

Initially Dan's live show questions were giving me slight 'The Death of the Author' vibes....then that last question brought it crashing down to Puppets & Puppet-Masters, which honestly makes me want to immediately sell my tickets and run in the other direction. But anyway. I agree they're not stupid and know exactly what a truly open forum would (sadly) bring to their yard, so part of me feels I should just have faith but it's reassuring to hear I'm not alone in the TATINOF flashbacks and concerns. (I'm just thankful I'm not going to the first show so can gauge reaction first).

(I'm still sceptical) but if it is legitimately a largely different show every night (aside from the framework) with some sort of interactive input beforehand, that'll surely be totally exhausting. For them to be "on" all the time, and also make it funny every time. I agree with whoever said earlier that I hope they're not adding too many additional shows, their schedule is already pretty relentless, when you factor in + 6 x tbc dates (probs) + all the travel + additional dates + don't forget that online content lads ;)

fancybum wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 am -terrified. it’s a murder tour. they’re going to hunt down every single fan that has ever invaded their privacy in any way (and you know Phil has all the receipts) and murder them on stage while bantering. front row is the splash zone.
:lol: yeah, Dan calling us losers was truly just the beginning.
fancybum wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 am 22:55 (chat) Have you seen CMBYN?
“Not yet.” [still trying to watch all the Oscar movies]
23:10 “3 Billboards is probably the best one I’ve seen so far”
-this is a Bad and Wrong Opinion that I am Judging Hard, who wants to Fight
This was the surprise of the liveshow for me - I really didn't expect him to like that movie. Especially given (no spoilers) the way it dealt with certain topics. I wish he'd expanded on why he liked it so much, I'm intrigued. (personally I hated it, sadly as the concept had such huge potential, the unexpected direction of the narrative could have been cool, Frances McDormand good...but everything else nope nope nopety nope.).
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

human wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 am

I thought the criticism came from someone with a very different personality, experience, outlook or something, from Dan as I see this attitude here and there online towards other people. I was going to write more at the time, but it took me ages to get anything coherent that didn’t overshare and wasn’t repeating what had been said. People feel their feelings and express themselves differently, I guess, but there are some who seem to me to be very hard and judging of others with little empathy or attempt to understand why eg when theirs affect work, how they conduct themselves. The Apprentice tv show being an extreme version too.
dancy
procrastinator

Maybe it's just me but I don’t really see any active bullying of Dan or Phil happening. Sure, people are being judgemental and critical and sometimes even harsh but it's not like anyone here is sending them premium messages or @'ing them calling them horrible things (as far as I'm aware of). I absolutely don’t agree with everything being said on here but forums are meant for discussions and expressing opinions. Most of what's being said on this forum is kept here, just like no one is is going to bring up the fact that we think D&P have two apartments to them.

Idk I suppose I'd define all of this more as talking behind someone's back, which could be seen as mean. Obviously there are boundaries, though personally I think this forum would be really boring if everyone just kept going on and on about what great people D&P are and what wonderful content they make and kept all of their negative comments and anything which in reality is none of our business for themselves. Feel free to disagree!
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

susan2 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 am (I'm still sceptical) but if it is legitimately a largely different show every night (aside from the framework) with some sort of interactive input beforehand, that'll surely be totally exhausting. For them to be "on" all the time, and also make it funny every time. I agree with whoever said earlier that I hope they're not adding too many additional shows, their schedule is already pretty relentless, when you factor in + 6 x tbc dates (probs) + all the travel + additional dates + don't forget that online content lads ;)
totally. it's a whole other kettle of fish from tatinof, it sounds. there's predictability, if possible stagnation, in a scripted show. i absolutely commend them for wanting to attempt something different and more daring though, i really hope it goes down well. it could get abstract and bizarre, which i'm into. gimme the puppet master surrealism.
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:48 am The Hawaii mention was also interesting to me, in private conversation @mermaid blood pointed out that Dan mentioned the beach in relation to happiness in the last gaming video. Wonder if that's on the maybe list for their pre-tour holiday? (Which I'm just assuming they'll take. Though, knowing them, it might just end up being Florida with the Lesters again.)
yes! "handstands by the beach", in relation to being happy and ignoring the hypothetical jealous haters in that one question. i was like, wut. but also, dan has said he finds quiet walks in nature peaceful more than once and misses that opportunity in london, so i can see him being drawn to an empty beach and the ocean and his mind going there for an escapist haven scenario.

dancy, me too, i also see it as talking behind their back, but somewhere they can see it, and only if they want to. that's why forums are my favourite medium/platform of discussion online. there's inherent ease with criticising someone you don't know, so i like to temper that with exercising considerations i would also apply to friends. pretty difficult balance to strike all of the time, i still struggle. it's a nice thing to aim for, though.
art in avatar by lily
susan2
rainbow nerd

mermaid blood wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am
susan2 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 am (I'm still sceptical) but if it is legitimately a largely different show every night (aside from the framework) with some sort of interactive input beforehand, that'll surely be totally exhausting. For them to be "on" all the time, and also make it funny every time. I agree with whoever said earlier that I hope they're not adding too many additional shows, their schedule is already pretty relentless, when you factor in + 6 x tbc dates (probs) + all the travel + additional dates + don't forget that online content lads ;)
totally. it's a whole other kettle of fish from tatinof, it sounds. there's predictability, if possible stagnation, in a scripted show. i absolutely commend them for wanting to attempt something different and more daring though, i really hope it goes down well. it could get abstract and bizarre, which i'm into. gimme the puppet master surrealism.
Potentially dark and circus-like. A choose your own adventure turned nightmare scenario. I'd be into that.
(it's the puppet-masters I'm mostly scared of :lol: )
kavat
pastel persona

mermaid blood wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 am on a personal note i'm proud of dan for continuing to be so honest and warm and continuing to present himself online, no matter how far apart those presentations in all their forms are spread. ditto phil. i'm just here for the ride. i think entitlement breeds dangerous expectations that raise our peers to pedestals made of air. things like concert tickets already purchased, however, are a different matter - constructive criticism and feedback when you're a stakeholder in something is par for the course. it's the objectivity to tell the difference between these two things, and uphold boundaries you would have with your coworkers, friends, and family that is the ongoing challenge. i believe these efforts should be demonstrated toward strangers, though that's a deeper philosophical discussion on empathy.
with views put forward, that's what we're here for.
I just agree with this a lot!
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

so this is totally, completely off topic, but I rewatched the second and third Horse Prince videos and I.....kind of really liked them??? When they came out I was pretty indifferent, but I guess distance makes the heart grow fonder or something :lol:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

this is gonna be my second post in less than 24 hours about a new gaming vid... but... fingers crossed.. pls..
any predictions about the next one?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
autumnhearth
senpai

Bless you fancybum for those mentions and quotes! Murder tour omg :o Seriously though, I’m intimidated.

When I was driving yesterday I decided to give the new Muse single a listen and I agree with the Imagine Dragons vibe in those group vocals. I was also amused that Dan said he just wanted Matt Bellamy to sing to him about love, not politics (unless I misinterpreted that and he was speaking as other fans who didn’t appreciate Drone, may have to give that a rewatch.)

snokopalsmic I also really like those two episodes of Horse Prince, Phil is just so into it, it’s hilarious. (Plus it’s just really pretty?) They rushed the ending though, which I understand their reasoning, but it made it unenjoyable. Like the one episode I loved of Dream Daddy was the date with Damien because they just slowed down and focused on that. Speed talking only carries a certain amount of humor, after awhile it’s annoying.
fancybum
senpai

In mindless consumerism news (my fav): Pastel plushies (right? that's still happening? with curly Dan hair? yes?) are on the horizon :babuse:

Hopefully the shop's concept of "shortly" is better than D&P's.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
flurry
living flop

Haven't caught up with this thread but my thoughts on the liveshow:

As a big Hamilton fan, I just wasn't very happy with how Dan talked about not understanding why people would listen to a soundtrack before watching the show in real life. I'm not sure if he realises that a huge proportion of the world actually doesn't live in London or New York or Chicago and might never ever get to see the show live. In fact, although the show may tour many places on "world tours", there are still countries it just will not visit. So I find it incredibly irritating that he would be so judgey about people listening to the soundtrack before watching the show - just because he has the privilege of a. living in London and b. having the money to get to the theatre, doesn't mean everyone else does.

And on another note, him saying he preferred Book of Mormon is sort of expected for him, I guess, knowing his taste in that sort of satirical, dry and sometimes offensive humour, but I also wish he gave Hamilton the credit it deserved by acknowledging how innovative it is for a musical. Personally I never thought it was "cheesy" - it's definitely the first time I heard someone calling Hamilton "cheesy" so that's a surprise to me - not sure if anyone else felt that way.

Separately, I understand that they can't confirm the TBC dates of the tour yet, but I wish they would just communicate with their audience and keep people updated. Same thing if they can't do a liveshow etc. - they should just say it! If you said TBC dates should be out by end Jan, then why wait till almost the end of Feb to give an update on the situation? I don't think it's fair to their fans who are waiting to buy tickets etc. Yes the shows might be in the later half of the year but people have to plan things in advance too, especially if it involves travelling. Also the lack of information on the show in general is sort of off putting? Besides "neon lighting" which doesn't sound very appealing personally, they can't really say much apart from the fact that it's very audience directed and changes from show to show, which again makes it seem like it's so loose it could be anything.

Hope I don't sound too negative! Anyhow, I have enjoyed their recent gaming videos and their schedule video-wise this year hasn't been too bad (yet) so yay on that front :)
kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

Psss. I miss them. Can we have a DAPG video today, please?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

flurry wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:00 pmAlso the lack of information on the show in general is sort of off putting? Besides "neon lighting" which doesn't sound very appealing personally, they can't really say much apart from the fact that it's very audience directed and changes from show to show, which again makes it seem like it's so loose it could be anything.

Hope I don't sound too negative! Anyhow, I have enjoyed their recent gaming videos and their schedule video-wise this year hasn't been too bad (yet) so yay on that front :)
This is such interesting perspective. As I watched his liveshow I was actually impressed he was telling us so much about the show - I remember people being 100% in the dark about TATINOF right up until the first performance. All we really got was the tagline about how it was the story of Dan and Phil, right? Those were early fandom days for me, so maybe other people did have more insight and I just wasn't looking in the right spots. But I hadn't expected him to volunteer what the stage design looked like or to talk about their goal for the show or to mention a game show like setup or to say that it would be audience directed. Considering they're probably only now finalizing the decisions, getting that and a stage description months before the show starts feels like setting a good precedent for us not being completely in the dark.

We'll see, though; this is not me blindly defending them, just pointing out that I had no expectations of them to tell us anything since they're vehemently anti-spoiler (blah) so they've already exceeded what I thought they'd share.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

dancy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:09 am Maybe it's just me but I don’t really see any active bullying of Dan or Phil happening. Sure, people are being judgemental and critical and sometimes even harsh but it's not like anyone here is sending them premium messages or @'ing them calling them horrible things (as far as I'm aware of). I absolutely don’t agree with everything being said on here but forums are meant for discussions and expressing opinions.
I agree - I don’t really see any bullying rather I think that Dan is someone that built his youtube career on “reasons he is a fail” and meme videos- both topics actively encourage his audience to mock him. He obviously doesn’t encourage malicious comments but even in his 2016 memes videos when fans thought they went to far (dans tears) he told them he was just joking - again making it okay for people to joke.

Phil otoh- if people want to criticize him for not stating opinions I think he’s okay with that. Those criticisms are born out of frustration but they can’t be atttibuted to the kind of person he is. We can say a lot about how phil only talks about positive things but we can’t say that he has awful opinions or that his opinions/he is problematic if he never lets us in.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm
flurry wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:00 pmAlso the lack of information on the show in general is sort of off putting? Besides "neon lighting" which doesn't sound very appealing personally, they can't really say much apart from the fact that it's very audience directed and changes from show to show, which again makes it seem like it's so loose it could be anything.

This is such interesting perspective. As I watched his liveshow I was actually impressed he was telling us so much about the show - I remember people being 100% in the dark about TATINOF right up until the first performance. All we really got was the tagline about how it was the story of Dan and Phil, right? Those were early fandom days for me, so maybe other people did have more insight and I just wasn't looking in the right spots. But I hadn't expected him to volunteer what the stage design looked like or to talk about their goal for the show or to mention a game show like setup or to say that it would be audience directed. Considering they're probably only now finalizing the decisions, getting that and a stage description months before the show starts feels like setting a good precedent for us not being completely in the dark.

We'll see, though; this is not me blindly defending them, just pointing out that I had no expectations of them to tell us anything since they're vehemently anti-spoiler (blah) so they've already exceeded what I thought they'd share.
I have to agree. I didn't think they would really tell us anything besides how much the audience would be involved before hand, so it's been strange and surprising to see them talk about it so openly. Also regarding pre-tatinof times, as someone who frequented multiple aspects of the phandom on various platforms (though mostly tumblr) during it, we literally got nothing until people started talking about it after the first show, and people were really analysing everything they did after the announcement to an extreme. I distinctly remember wondering how and what they could be doing on stage (which I spent a lot of time thinking about since I did not shut up about it to an irl friend who loves deps), as I was sure they wouldn't be acting or singing, but I was clearly very wrong about that in the end lol
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Dan is the most gemini person I've ever known omg (i'm joking i know he is more complex etc but i mean he's pretty close)... couple that with his tendency to overshare and you got a very polarizing person. Either love him or hate him, that's the way I see it. So I completely understand the harsh criticism towards him and as long as no one is saying it to his face, this is the space to do it I guess.

Someone else said that Phil's persona personality is more palatable and I agree 100%. Yes he is slowly opening up but he is far from a polarizing person, so criticism comes way less towards him in comparison.

Not much else to say, I'm not half as eloquent as some of you guys who just leave me floored with your way with words, seriously.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
vincentian
hobbit hair

yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 pm Dan is the most gemini person I've ever known omg (i'm joking i know he is more complex etc but i mean he's pretty close)... couple that with his tendency to overshare and you got a very polarizing person. Either love him or hate him, that's the way I see it. So I completely understand the harsh criticism towards him and as long as no one is saying it to his face, this is the space to do it I guess.
Yes, can't agree more with this. Despite personal experience usually making a bad argument, Dan is like many gemini people I've met. The way Dan speaks and acts tends to provoke a response in most people. A blessing and a curse for his choice of profession and personality I guess, but way better than indifference/boredom. Think his quality to make even a casual viewer pay attention, annoy/attract is one of the key factors why he got popular on youtube in the first place (after Phil promotion, being smart with social media, relatable topics etc.).
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

flurry wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:00 pm
As a big Hamilton fan, I just wasn't very happy with how Dan talked about not understanding why people would listen to a soundtrack before watching the show in real life. I'm not sure if he realises that a huge proportion of the world actually doesn't live in London or New York or Chicago and might never ever get to see the show live. In fact, although the show may tour many places on "world tours", there are still countries it just will not visit. So I find it incredibly irritating that he would be so judgey about people listening to the soundtrack before watching the show - just because he has the privilege of a. living in London and b. having the money to get to the theatre, doesn't mean everyone else does.

And on another note, him saying he preferred Book of Mormon is sort of expected for him, I guess, knowing his taste in that sort of satirical, dry and sometimes offensive humour, but I also wish he gave Hamilton the credit it deserved by acknowledging how innovative it is for a musical. Personally I never thought it was "cheesy" - it's definitely the first time I heard someone calling Hamilton "cheesy" so that's a surprise to me - not sure if anyone else felt that way.
As a Hamilton fan but also someone who, like Dan, abhors spoilers, I can understand his point of view. From his perspective, it's best to go into any show (tv, movie, theatre) knowing nothing (like Jon Snow). So he can't understand why people would want to, from his perspective, "spoil themselves" by listening to the cast recording ahead of time. He probably doesn't realize how his anti-spoiler "why would you listen beforehand?" attitude comes across. Because, even though I know what he meant, his comments did remind me of the way people call out fans who watch theatre bootlegs by saying things like, "Don't be cheap, just go see the show." I hate it when people in the theatre community do that that because it completely ignores the fact that most people live nowhere near NYC and even many of those who do live in the area can't afford a broadway ticket.

On a lighter note, I wasn't thrilled with his pick of best song. Because the correct answer is Wait for It, I will accept no other. :D
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
DatCog
blobfish

flurry wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:00 pm Haven't caught up with this thread but my thoughts on the liveshow:

I may have misinterpreted what he said but I think Dan was only judging those impatient people like myself who are actually going to see the show but have chosen to familiarise themselves with the story and soundtrack in advance.

Gaming video tonight please fellas!! Been a little while since the last one and they are my favourite content at the moment.
liola
rankussy

vincentian wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:49 pm
yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 pm Dan is the most gemini person I've ever known omg (i'm joking i know he is more complex etc but i mean he's pretty close)... couple that with his tendency to overshare and you got a very polarizing person. Either love him or hate him, that's the way I see it. So I completely understand the harsh criticism towards him and as long as no one is saying it to his face, this is the space to do it I guess.
Yes, can't agree more with this. Despite personal experience usually making a bad argument, Dan is like many gemini people I've met. The way Dan speaks and acts tends to provoke a response in most people. A blessing and a curse for his choice of profession and personality I guess, but way better than indifference/boredom. Think his quality to make even a casual viewer pay attention, annoy/attract is one of the key factors why he got popular on youtube in the first place (after Phil promotion, being smart with social media, relatable topics etc.).
As a Gemini, only a 2 days difference with Dan, I feel extremely called out. Especially because it's fucking true :mrgreen: The amount of people that have called me immature or snarky or just a know-it-all because of how I express my opinions, I feel ya Dan.

Re Hamilton, i've said it before but I understand where he's coming from. I didn't listen to the soundtrack beforehand, even before I knew I was going to see it, because I need to have the visuals to appreciate it. It's not just an album, it's a musical, the acting and scene is so intertwined with the music that I can't do it. Which is why, unless I could find bootlegs, I haven't listened to soundtracks of other shows. That's just personal preference, and I can't tell you how many people have insisted I wouldn't appreciate the story as much as this. :shrug: I stand by my choice of not listening to the soundtrack before watching it, I loved it.

Please boys, please. Gaming video. I'm begging.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor