Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
karma_yeah
philussy

whelpkeeper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 am I can't even imagine what people in the U.K. and around the globe must think when they see politicians in the U.S. refuse to do anything while children are literally slaughtered en masse. It makes me feel ashamed, it feels like we're just waiting for the next tragedy so we can rinse and repeat the "thoughts and prayers" charade. I'm hoping something will change fast, and soon.
I agree whole-heartedly! I was really pleased to see Dan acknowledge the tragedy. And he's right, it's seeing how young people are reacting that gives me hope. I can only hope that the outrage people are feeling right now translates into action. People have to vote locally, as well as nationally, if anything is going to change. Early voting for local elections in my state start tomorrow . . . fingers crossed.

seriously, this nothing post is at the top of the page??! :roll:
What goes around, comes around Image
anonymousdork
delia smith
Pronouns: she/her

karma_yeah wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 am
whelpkeeper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 am I can't even imagine what people in the U.K. and around the globe must think when they see politicians in the U.S. refuse to do anything while children are literally slaughtered en masse. It makes me feel ashamed, it feels like we're just waiting for the next tragedy so we can rinse and repeat the "thoughts and prayers" charade. I'm hoping something will change fast, and soon.
I agree whole-heartedly! I was really pleased to see Dan acknowledge the tragedy. And he's right, it's seeing how young people are reacting that gives me hope. I can only hope that the outrage people are feeling right now translates into action. People have to vote locally, as well as nationally, if anything is going to change. Early voting for local elections in my state start tomorrow . . . fingers crossed.

I am a high school student in the US, and I saw some of the videos that students filmed during and after the shooting. I'm still sort of surprised at how much it rattled me, I couldn't sleep. I started crying in the middle of the night because I could feel the fear and horror through the screen, and it was scary how easy it was for me to imagine the same thing happening at my school. Kids are dying and our politicians don't care. On a more positive note, it's amazing to see what the survivors are doing, and seeing Dan acknowledge it warmed my heart. Every signal boost helps to make sure something like this doesn't fade into obscurity.

Anyway, sorry that this is a bit intense and off-topic, I just am struggling with this news, and seeing Dan's tweet made me think about it all some more.
Your ass is where you feel all your most important emotions
human
dan hand trash

I still have no idea what a back egg is or how one would wear it lol definitely one of the weirdest trends of 2017.

I love Sean, he’s so sweet and he’s here in London right now (was over for Markipliers show, or at least he was on Sunday night) so I hope Deppy have some plans with Mark and Sean big time!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

karma_yeah wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 am

I was happy to see Dan speaking his mind too, even if it's just a tweet. I would love to see him write out his broader thoughts about it and share those with us. But who knows if he would like to do that. He mentioned his desire to use his voice more, and this is a good first step. I was also pleased to see Phil liking that tweet, though I wish he would just put it on his own twitter page. I think Phil is afraid of polarizing any group of his audience.
So i'm glad with the tweet, but i do also remain critical, precisely because my expectations are high and positive. It has to be said that this was a pretty safe stance to have and tweet about, just going by the things that get commented and retweeted in general in the phandom.
The way the U.S. thinks about and (refuses to) regulate guns pretty much makes them an outlier in an international context, especially within the OECD group of "high income" countries, which often serve as a basis of comparison in studies about economic but also social policies. So the majority of his audience probably finds the U.S. situation about guns appaling and peculiar to start with. The US part I guess may be more split (all that pressure to keep guns unregulated must have some basis?), but also I expect the US viewers to be heavily slanted towards being young and by proxy (this is a well established and consistent finding in social studies) left of center, within US norms.
So I still am excitedly waiting to see Dan take a controversial, reasoned stance about something he cares about deeply but which may not be popular and speak his thoughts about it freely.
On the other hand, I think it's important that he tries to reach his (US) audience. Even if he only makes a few people rethink, or pushes them towards voting or engaging politically, something valuable is achieved.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
dancy
procrastinator

Hm, at this point we're due for a gaming video, a DINOF video and a Dan live show. I wonder which will come first... I would say the live show if it weren't for the fact that Dan said he might not do it on Tuesday. Perhaps he wants to upload a main channel video first, so he can discuss it during his LS. I don't know though because he hasn't really indicated that he's working on something.

I'm also kinda wondering what's up with the TBC dates. At first they said they would release them around Christmas, then late January, then early February and now it's already the 20th. I don't think anything is wrong but I would probably be getting a bit impatient if I was living in one of the TBC countries and wanted a ticket. I do doubt they have a huge audience in any of those countries, so I hope they don't settle for any big venues or do double shows. I've also been keeping up with each show they're doing (venue capacity, ticket sales etc.) and there are some interesting differences and patterns and whatnot which I may write something about later.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

dancy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 am Hm, at this point we're due for a gaming video, a DINOF video and a Dan live show. I wonder which will come first... I would say the live show if it weren't for the fact that Dan said he might not do it on Tuesday. Perhaps he wants to upload a main channel video first, so he can discuss it during his LS. I don't know though because he hasn't really indicated that he's working on something.
I'm definitely feeling some sort of video today, whether it be DAPG or DINOF, specifically because Dan said that he probs wouldn't do a liveshow today -- leads me to think that they probably scheduled to put out a video today
Stakhanov
haru pillow

We're getting something today I think that's for sure. I hope it's a livestream or video where he talks some more about his own experiences with mental health or cyber bullying.
Both should be coming, sooner or later ;-)

The tbc dates might be one of those things they wish they didn't make any strong statements about. I imagine it's very hard to organize a show in those countries. There's all the legal and other regulations that come with working somewhere, being an employer to the people who travel/work with them, selling merchandise, finding and contracting with a venue...
Then i think there's the fact that the risk is just much bigger. When you're talking about Brazil, you're talking about half a continent. I don't doubt that they have enough fans in the entire Brazil to fill a venue, but do they have enough that live close enough to where they will perform and who are able to get there, both logistically and when it comes to the disposable income that (parents of) fans are willing to spend on Dan and Phil?
There's a lot of puzzle pieces and i'm not surprised it's taking longer than expected to make all of those fit.
susan2
rainbow nerd

Stakhanov wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm The tbc dates might be one of those things they wish they didn't make any strong statements about. I imagine it's very hard to organize a show in those countries. There's all the legal and other regulations that come with working somewhere, being an employer to the people who travel/work with them, selling merchandise, finding and contracting with a venue...
Then i think there's the fact that the risk is just much bigger. When you're talking about Brazil, you're talking about half a continent. I don't doubt that they have enough fans in the entire Brazil to fill a venue, but do they have enough that live close enough to where they will perform and who are able to get there, both logistically and when it comes to the disposable income that (parents of) fans are willing to spend on Dan and Phil?
There's a lot of puzzle pieces and i'm not surprised it's taking longer than expected to make all of those fit.
I've been thinking that too. Especially since the comment Phil made during his last liveshow - "so none of them are set in stone either, it's just we're trying our best and you'll get news of everything all at the same time if we can confirm them all".
autumnhearth
senpai

Yep, I’m guessing DINOF today, Dan ls Wednesday and DAPG Friday. Unless of course DINOF is not ready, in which case DAPG today. I felt weird seeing all the chanting for DINOF on Tumblr yesterday (just because he was on Tumblr) when I was pretty sure it wasn’t going to happen, based on him tweeting that he would do a ls soon, but not on Tuesday. Any guesses on what it might be? Something Stop Speak Support related or something completely different?

Ooo I’ve reached demon phannie status at 666! Well done mods. :twisted: Kinda glad I wasn’t a blob fish for long.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

@susan2 Now you spell out the quote like that: I feel it talks for itself. They're basically saying there's no real timeline. I doubt they want to release anything unless they can release all too. I can imagine some people would like to know what they can expect and have little patience to just take it as it comes, but I understand the situation they are in just isn't clear cut and i'd rather they try hard to make a show in Manilla or Sao Paulo quietly a reality than that they organize something poorly that might bite them back in the peach later.

@autumnhearth All are distinct possibilities. His reply reads "you know what yes i'll do one but maybe not tuesday i will let you know". Which makes me hope that it could very well be the ls today, but maybe not.
If he "does one" next week i will personally join him in his bath tub and bite him in his peach until it bruises :wink: :twisted:

:philtrash: sigh i could use a livestream it's been to long.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

Stakhanov wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 pm The tbc dates might be one of those things they wish they didn't make any strong statements about. I imagine it's very hard to organize a show in those countries. There's all the legal and other regulations that come with working somewhere, being an employer to the people who travel/work with them, selling merchandise, finding and contracting with a venue...
You got that right, at this point I've tried to understand their reasoning behind these decisions: I don't think they will do more than one or two shows in the tbc countries, and those won't probably sold out despite them having more than enough fans in these places because tickets will be expensive-r to cover all their extra expenses and extra work and not many people can travel long distances to see a show in short notice (I get they might be having a hard time but they really should have released those in december).

They do seem to be having lots of trouble with this and I wonder if even it's worth it? I doubt they will be able to have much profit from one or two shows that probably won't sold out that they have to travel so much and do so many things to make it happen, I get that the idea of doing a real world tour is tempting and I know they might want to include the fans that support them from all over but it all ends up looking like more trouble than it's worth in my head?

Anyway, I wish they'd release the tbc dates soon because I'd like to know prices and if I have any real chance of seeing it but I do hope they go for smaller venues and do more shows to cover more ground than focusing it on one or two major cities that not many people can travel long distances to.
I say all of this especially looking at Brazil for it being so big and it's where I have real life experience to comment on.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Was looking through Dan’s likes this morning and noticed he liked a post by Tyler Oakley (extremely relatable tbh). Love all the cheeky and positive tweets this week.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

LurkingTrash wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm
You got that right, at this point I've tried to understand their reasoning behind these decisions: I don't think they will do more than one or two shows in the tbc countries, and those won't probably sold out despite them having more than enough fans in these places because tickets will be expensive-r to cover all their extra expenses and extra work and not many people can travel long distances to see a show in short notice (I get they might be having a hard time but they really should have released those in december).

They do seem to be having lots of trouble with this and I wonder if even it's worth it? I doubt they will be able to have much profit from one or two shows that probably won't sold out that they have to travel so much and do so many things to make it happen, I get that the idea of doing a real world tour is tempting and I know they might want to include the fans that support them from all over but it all ends up looking like more trouble than it's worth in my head?

Anyway, I wish they'd release the tbc dates soon because I'd like to know prices and if I have any real chance of seeing it but I do hope they go for smaller venues and do more shows to cover more ground than focusing it on one or two major cities that not many people can travel long distances to.
I say all of this especially looking at Brazil for it being so big and it's where I have real life experience to comment on.
We're forever bound to speculate on their motives but I read them having trouble with this is a positive signal - in the sense that I think it demonstrates that they are actually trying to make something happen rather than paying lip service to the idea and then just stepping back from it the moment things get difficult.
i had been thinking about the financial aspect too and i think the economics of all this further lends credit to the idea that they mostly are trying to do this because they care about giving the fans in those countries a chance to see them - I think they realize any non-English speaking countries and especially non-western countries get the short end of the stick, for all kinds of reasons.
That said, I don't think their motives are exclusively altruistic and I think they will only go to places if they think they can turn a profit - or at least not risk breaking the bank to much. The cost structures of these tours I imagine are quite high and totally flopping at one location might end up wiping out who knows how many otherwise profitable days of touring. It's also very plausable they don't call the shots alone. Their previous tour was sponsored, the same is likely true for this one. Be it visible sponsorship or just funding by way of capital investments by parties that we wouldn't even know about. If the past is any yardstick I think they are limiting their own financial risk as much as possible.

Deciding where to play probably involves many stakeholders and they might not be at a position where they can just make the call by themselves to tour a week or twon together with all their staff and the whole 'traveling circus' of decor, IRL merchandise company etc. in locations that don't make any sense from a business perspective. If they aren't at all motivated by profit (and I think they are to at least a reasonable degree) then certainly their partnering investors are.
For all those reasons i'm inclined to believe that focusing on one or two major cities instead of touring smaller venues is also much more likely. Never mind that it would also be personally more challenging and lengthen the tour substantially if they would do many small venues instead of fewer large ones.

I do think it's all worth it though, even if in the end they only can tour at one location, they are reaching fans who otherwise would have had no shot of seeing them. But it must sting if they are going to your country (like Brasil) but it's literally thousands of km away from you or you just can't afford blowing so much money on two youtubers, who are already doing just fine financially :) I believe that in his next candle haul Phil well be reviewing the "papier maché" money candle, with plenty of earthy aroma's and a hint of crisp dollar bills. Dan will after this tour no doubt be upgrading to a new Deluxe potato sack, signed by Kanye himself and sold for only the price of an average family car. A steal! :mrgreen:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Hmm, looks like Dan has a tumblr queue going.
DatCog
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 pm Hmm, looks like Dan has a tumblr queue going.
Perhaps I'm just not in the right mood but I've founds his reblogs a bit meh this time around. Please post a video Dan!!
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

!!!
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

my prayers have been answered, now to selfishly wish he streams for longer than 45 minutes...

edit: 100th post was a wasted comment oops
Last edited by sonicgreen on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

whelpkeeper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm !!!
I don't appreciate being called a loser but bitch i've missed you too
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Secretstanner
truth bomb

yellowsubmarine wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:36 pm
He can call me a loser all he wants....as long as the streams 1hr long
Edit: I just remembered I probably won’t be able to watch it all so I hope dan uploads it to YouTube after. Last time phil didn’t
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Secretstanner wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:44 pm
yellowsubmarine wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:36 pm
He can call me a loser all he wants....as long as the streams 1hr long
Edit: I just remembered I probably won’t be able to watch it all so I hope dan uploads it to YouTube after. Last time phil didn’t
I have low expectations always, at least he is showing his face. I think it will be on youtube tho let's see.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
honeybee
squish

I feel like I need to balance things out a bit and say I like the pastel merch :lol: Though each to their own.
autumnhearth
senpai

Well I’m happy to be wrong! Talk figure skating to me Danny!
Stakhanov
haru pillow

I miss that loser too <3 I hope he does as promises, doesn't just touch on all the expected and cliché topics and just tells us a bit of what's going on in his life.
Either way... I'm looking forward to a good long waffle with that Dan touch wait what

This liveshow comes at a good time

♪ Well I hope that someday buddy
We have peace in our lives
Together or apart
Alone or with our wives
And we can stop our whoring
And pull the smiles inside
And light it up forever
And never go to sleep
My best unbeaten brother
This isn't all I see

Oh no, I see a darkness
Oh no, I see a darkness
Oh no, I see a darkness
Oh no, I see a darkness
And did you know how much I love you
Is a hope that somehow you, you
Can save me from this darkness ♪

Expectation management be damned :mrgreen:
Last edited by Stakhanov on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I need advice regarding Phandom Gives.

Make A Wish want to post on their Regional Facebook Page to say a thank you to everyone involved. They have asked for any images we may have. I already turned down a cheque photo op as I want the focus to be on the phandom as a whole but there were over 800 people who contributed so I don't think I can ask for selfies and make a collage or anything either.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just suggest the use of one of @psychicmoth graphics?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

lilabet wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 pm I need advice regarding Phandom Gives.

Make A Wish want to post on their Regional Facebook Page to say a thank you to everyone involved. They have asked for any images we may have. I already turned down a cheque photo op as I want the focus to be on the phandom as a whole but there were over 800 people who contributed so I don't think I can ask for selfies and make a collage or anything either.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just suggest the use of one of @psychicmoth graphics?
Wow, great they wanna make a post! I think going with some phanart would be lovely and a great representation. Also stands out a lot.

Thank you for being such a great and responsible organiser, lilabet! If you ever need any more hands, let me know :)