Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
neetbuzzer
delia smith
Pronouns: he/him/tired

sorry for double post but I think I've missed the editing jump and I just wanted to clarify what I meant by frustrating, because I've been reading what y'all have said and upon rereading my nonsense, it's not... yeah I didn't articulate my shit very well.

By frustrating I meant: at some points(s) it seemed like he sort of wanted to lay it all out for us? Like. It was very "hedge your bets" around the edges, to me, while also being pretty explicit. That's Our Dan, TM. I guess.

It just reminded me of the eleventy billion times in my life I've had a late night feelings barf and wanted to Tell Someone Something Important, but then when push came to shove, I. Not backed out, exactly, but the implications of the reveal sort of smacked me in the face and I was as opaque as one can be while being emotionally naked. Basically, the whole "live my truth haha suckin' dick is the best amirite so anyways about that existentialism" was very much my aesthetic from like 14-19. The jokes, I mean. The joke-persona-as-actual-self thing. Yeah.

I'm not saying that by confirming what everybody with eyes, ears, and at least an inkling of life beyond heteronormativity knew already but not putting ALL doubts to rest dannyboi is like letting down the team or whatever. I just... idk.

I think it was a little frustrating to watch because he seemed kind of frustrated and now it's come full circle and I'm the one with the late night feelings barf! Fuck.

(also shoutout to alittledizzy for clarifying the "late night talk but no reveals/everything but kissing cause that's too intimate" vibe I got from this but couldn't articulate!)

but tbh, that seemingly neverending emotional spiral IS frustrating and irritating and wow being introspective sure feels worthless if it doesn't actualize into anything better, you know? but dude seems to be trying to manifest that destiny (not in the historical way obvi) and for that I commend him. shit is hard, and being honest about that and openly struggling with shit is strangely inspirational. or at least, makes people (me I mean me) feel less alone. although smh it would be this video that would be most ~relatable for me :boredwank:

honestly this probably just makes what I said less clear but that's very on brand for me so fuck it lmao

top of the page noooooooooo
Last edited by neetbuzzer on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
no one would talk to you on fur affinity
starwatersong
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

Aww, sleepy Phil! Latest insta from Bryony looks like the grey couch is indeed her background. Hope they had fun!
dontpanic
#relatable

I can't get over how Phil's legit smiling in his sleep. I'm glad he's having nice dreams (no doubt starring chris evens again)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I slept through the Oscars and all the pictures because of my inconvenient timezone, but now that I've woken up and assessed the situation, I'd like to point out two things.

a) If Dan watched Simply Nailogical, he'd know there's no such thing as edible glitter. Our boy is out there eating decorative plastic.

b) Phil is sitting on the remote controller, which I somehow find more amusing than anything else about these photos.
so_cheesy
butt chair

There was a post about that sad nerd poster in the video. I can’t find it so sorry if this has been mentioned but:

I’m pretty sure those sad and happy masks represent drama(acting, theatre). Dan has mentioned doing drama briefly before, there was even a page on his old website dedicated to what roles he played in school plays etc. I think he then kinda downplayed it and always tried to make it seem like it wasn’t too important but I’m very convinced he loved that and probably still loves acting (see tatinof, he seemed very enthusiastic about acting) being in front of a live audience etc.
kavat
pastel persona

Wow this forum is active rn, I can't keep up!

That sleeping close up was so unnecessary but very very welcome. A literal step closer than last year, if you will.

About the movie poster, my first association of the masks was Dan acknowledging how dramatic he can be. Studying drama sounds more interesting though. I also saw the diamond play button more as a symbol for over all YouTube success and not specifically 10 mil subs.

Thank you willowgarden for a perspective you don't see often. Especially as someone who wasn't around at the time and try too avoid anything to do with what happened it's good to be reminded of what the long term consequences actually were.
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

JustMe wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:22 pm Interview about thruth bombs:
https://www.toynews-online.biz/licensin ... ruth-bombs
Hmm, interesting, if it's true that they're living near the Big Potato office, like they say in the interview, it narrows down their possible location considerably. This makes me believe even more that they're going to move after the tour.
kavat
pastel persona

somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 pm
Hmm, interesting, if it's true that they're living near the Big Potato office, like they say in the interview, it narrows down their possible location considerably. This makes me believe even more that they're going to move after the tour.
Yes, that made me raise my eyebwrows as well. I was surprised to read that, unless they mean close to their old apartment? They could have done a lot of meetings and planning before moving? I sure hope so, because otherwise I'm not sure why they would mention something so easy to find so close to their current location.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

When I read the location part, I actually assumed they meant London - since a board game company that sells worldwide could very easily have been located in a totally different country or even in a much less convenient city in England. But if he did mean it literally then lol why tf.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm When I read the location part, I actually assumed they meant London - since a board game company that sells worldwide could very easily have been located in a totally different country or even in a much less convenient city in England. But if he did mean it literally then lol why tf.
I don't think they meant it literally either, but I still took it as them saying it was located conveniently enough that they didn't need to strain their couch potato selves too much.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm When I read the location part, I actually assumed they meant London - since a board game company that sells worldwide could very easily have been located in a totally different country or even in a much less convenient city in England. But if he did mean it literally then lol why tf.
Yeah, same. But even if he meant it literally, you'll still have a hard time finding someone's flat in London going on that. I mean, fans could go to the Big Potato office and look around for D&P but I doubt they'd find them that way, lol. (Also in London, thanks to the tube, "close" can mean a whole lot of things. I used to say I lived "close to Westminster" because it was only like fifteen minutes when you took the tube but it was actually pretty far away on foot or bike... :shrug:)
kavat
pastel persona

somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:11 pm
I don't think they meant it literally either, but I still took it as them saying it was located conveniently enough that they didn't need to strain their couch potato selves too much.
Oh okay, yeah that makes sense. English is not my first language so I might take some wordings a bit more literal.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Threads move fast these days! Get in your suggestions for the next thread name here!

(Remember, if you submit more than one suggestion for a particular thread, we will include only the last one in the poll.)
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

neetbuzzer wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:06 amIt just reminded me of the eleventy billion times in my life I've had a late night feelings barf and wanted to Tell Someone Something Important, but then when push came to shove, I. Not backed out, exactly, but the implications of the reveal sort of smacked me in the face and I was as opaque as one can be while being emotionally naked. Basically, the whole "live my truth haha suckin' dick is the best amirite so anyways about that existentialism" was very much my aesthetic from like 14-19. The jokes, I mean. The joke-persona-as-actual-self thing. Yeah.
neetbuzzer wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:06 ambut tbh, that seemingly neverending emotional spiral IS frustrating and irritating and wow being introspective sure feels worthless if it doesn't actualize into anything better, you know? but dude seems to be trying to manifest that destiny (not in the historical way obvi) and for that I commend him. shit is hard, and being honest about that and openly struggling with shit is strangely inspirational. or at least, makes people (me I mean me) feel less alone. although smh it would be this video that would be most ~relatable for me :boredwank:
I feel like that sentence I bolded is basically this video distilled down to it's actual purpose - for Dan, not for us. I think he was trying to manifest something but putting it out there into the world for millions of people to see. I'm a bit cynical about it, in that I don't think ultimately this video will lead to anything for him. Understanding in a figurative sense how to be happy doesn't make you happy. But I think vocalizing it can at least be a temporary comfort and I hope that, if nothing else, he feels 'heard' and it gives him some brief peace of mind.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

That's such a nice interview
I have little to add to the discussion besides sharing my enjoyment of reading this but still
:tu:
edit: just saw the "If you haven't heard of Dan & Phil then you've either been living under a rock... or are over the age of 25." :sideeye:
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

LurkingTrash wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:34 pm
That's such a nice interview
I have little to add to the discussion besides sharing my enjoyment of reading this but still
:tu:
edit: just saw the "If you haven't heard of Dan & Phil then you've either been living under a rock... or are over the age of 25." :sideeye:
HAHAHA whaatt i'm none of those things xD
Their Oscar nights are legendary! They go all out or at least try
Aw Phil : ) ) you tried
Also it's no surprise that Dan looks good in everything, even that thing (reminds me of something a rapper would wear in a MV in his mansion showing off all his bills and his cars... and bruno mars i guess)
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:55 pm I feel like that sentence I bolded is basically this video distilled down to it's actual purpose - for Dan, not for us. I think he was trying to manifest something but putting it out there into the world for millions of people to see. I'm a bit cynical about it, in that I don't think ultimately this video will lead to anything for him. Understanding in a figurative sense how to be happy doesn't make you happy. But I think vocalizing it can at least be a temporary comfort and I hope that, if nothing else, he feels 'heard' and it gives him some brief peace of mind.
I don't think the point of the video was to 'lead' to anything, so what's there to be cynical about? He said it was just an update, this is what he's been doing or thinking about so far in 2018, and his conclusion was he's just landed, for now, on 3 ~small (don't make the joke don't make the joke) things keeping him happy in the present. Focusing on the micro while still thinking about how to work toward the macro and being open about it? I think if he was like 'I've solved how to be happy, watch me do it' then cynicism would be super warranted, but being cynical about him talking about how he's currently taking steps on a destinationless journey doesn't make sense to me.

This week would be pretty great for a liveshow from Dan.. just saying.. or even Phil— listen I'm not picky right now.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I don't agree that what he was talking about won't lead to anything for him or that it wasn't meant so much for us. I don't disagree that this video might be just as much for him as us, but he's sharing something he's discovered and told us, jokingly, how he puts it into practise. It wasn't deep, but he's already been changing his lifestyle with exercise etc.

I've seen some people have taken something positive from it, although just as many have also said they thought he was vague and not really making a point or giving any useful advice (though that needn't be a requirement for every video he makes about something mental health related anyway, still I get that people hope or expect that he does).

I spent a lot of time searching for and expecting to find more answers than I've found and had listened to so many louder people over the years that I didn't always fully trust myself especially after I'd had a setback. Hearing the similar idea of "live your values" in my Paul McKenna recording was a reassuring relief that I knew enough already and that gave me a good base to make some improvements.

I noticed the "under 25" bs in the Truth Bombs interview too. Tired ignorance they might eventually all realise is a load of rubbish.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:56 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:55 pm I feel like that sentence I bolded is basically this video distilled down to it's actual purpose - for Dan, not for us. I think he was trying to manifest something but putting it out there into the world for millions of people to see. I'm a bit cynical about it, in that I don't think ultimately this video will lead to anything for him. Understanding in a figurative sense how to be happy doesn't make you happy. But I think vocalizing it can at least be a temporary comfort and I hope that, if nothing else, he feels 'heard' and it gives him some brief peace of mind.
I don't think the point of the video was to 'lead' to anything, so what's there to be cynical about? He said it was just an update, this is what he's been doing or thinking about so far in 2018, and his conclusion was he's just landed, for now, on 3 ~small (don't make the joke don't make the joke) things keeping him happy in the present. Focusing on the micro while still thinking about how to work toward the macro and being open about it? I think if he was like 'I've solved how to be happy, watch me do it' then cynicism would be super warranted, but being cynical about him talking about how he's currently taking steps on a destinationless journey doesn't make sense to me.

This week would be pretty great for a liveshow from Dan.. just saying.. or even Phil— listen I'm not picky right now.
I don't actually think we're disagreeing as much as it seems. Maybe me saying cynical is coming off too strongly? But I see a lot of people treating Dan like an enlightened life advice guru right now and I don't see much practical in what he said, which is my point about the video being for Dan not for us. Like, it's for us in the sense that he wanted to tell us a tiny slice of what was going on in his head but it's exactly as you said, he described it himself as a life update. It's just that... this is pretty much the kind of 'life updates' we've been getting from him in liveshows for the past year or more. I'm not upset Dan made the video and I'm not out there saying he shouldn't have, just that there's not much takeaway from it at all. He wanted to say the same things he's already been saying to a lot of us, just to a bigger audience. It's exactly to me like listening to the kind of friends that think every January is a chance to reinvent themselves without realizing that they're literally just repeating the same script year after year without any self-awareness. So yeah I still keep circling back around to: I think this video (as in the literal process of making and posting it, not the actions he's describing within as they relate to his life changes) probably made Dan satisfied in the short term, and won't do much in the long run. Hence, cynical in the least aggressive interpretation of the word possible.

Exception being if you do suspect (as I do) that the real action within the video was him clarifying his position on how open about his sexuality he'll be and in what manner he's wanting to communicate that. In that case, yeah. It might have served a tangible purpose for him.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I'm super late to the discussion but I am firmly on team "that's an ugly effing shirt", even though the picture itself was nice. The drink sounds good in theory but I had a disarrono hangover a while back and now the smell just makes me queasy. :ribena: Bless him for the pictures of Phil, too.
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 pm I don't actually think we're disagreeing as much as it seems. Maybe me saying cynical is coming off too strongly? But I see a lot of people treating Dan like an enlightened life advice guru right now and I don't see much practical in what he said, which is my point about the video being for Dan not for us. Like, it's for us in the sense that he wanted to tell us a tiny slice of what was going on in his head but it's exactly as you said, he described it himself as a life update. It's just that... this is pretty much the kind of 'life updates' we've been getting from him in liveshows for the past year or more. I'm not upset Dan made the video and I'm not out there saying he shouldn't have, just that there's not much takeaway from it at all. He wanted to say the same things he's already been saying to a lot of us, just to a bigger audience. It's exactly to me like listening to the kind of friends that think every January is a chance to reinvent themselves without realizing that they're literally just repeating the same script year after year without any self-awareness. So yeah I still keep circling back around to: I think this video (as in the literal process of making and posting it, not the actions he's describing within as they relate to his life changes) probably made Dan satisfied in the short term, and won't do much in the long run. Hence, cynical in the least aggressive interpretation of the word possible.

Exception being if you do suspect (as I do) that the real action within the video was him clarifying his position on how open about his sexuality he'll be and in what manner he's wanting to communicate that. In that case, yeah. It might have served a tangible purpose for him.
Hmm I don't want to come off like I'm arguing just for the sake of arguing, but how does
I think this video (as in the literal process of making and posting it, not the actions he's describing within as they relate to his life changes) probably made Dan satisfied in the short term, and won't do much in the long run.
not equally apply to basically any video he makes? Talking about how he temporarily blinded himself a bit and then ate a muffin is just a thing he did and then made a video about, just like talking about this is just a thing he's doing and decided to make a video about. Is it that the subject matter (~existential search for happiness~) seems to demand "more" than just 'this is happening, the end' (which was enough for a dramatic story about eating a muffin) or just that because it's kind of well-trodden ground in his liveshows it needed to be "more"? Lol maybe I'm just oversensitive because I'm exactly the kind of person who's constantly thinking "ok it's the first of the month/year, now I can get my life together, time to be a person, I'm really doing it this time' so seeing that kind of mindset just get eyerolled at is rustling my jimmies haha. But with Dan he's maybe being very consistent in that same way, but also has made actual steps forward with opening up about therapy and all of that, so it's like yeah, he's done this before, but this time he's actually doing it in a way he hasn't before? Like there's concrete progress there to point to (and yes definitely the talk of dick sucking, but that's just part of the whole imo). I'm definitely not saying there was anything groundbreaking in it, but why did there need to be?
flarequake wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:59 pm I don't agree that what he was talking about won't lead to anything for him or that it wasn't meant so much for us. I don't disagree that this video might be just as much for him as us, but he's sharing something he's discovered and told us, jokingly, how he puts it into practise. It wasn't deep, but he's already been changing his lifestyle with exercise etc.

I've seen some people have taken something positive from it, although just as many have also said they thought he was vague and not really making a point or giving any useful advice (though that needn't be a requirement for every video he makes about something mental health related anyway, still I get that people hope or expect that he does).
Yeah I mean there's probably no point arguing if a video doesn't connect with everybody the same way (lol so why am I doing it), nothing will ever appeal to everybody for any number of reasons and that's ok (reminder @ me). I took something positive from it so you know what, that should be enough. Maybe I'll hate (or be bored or whatever) by his next video.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
malday
emo goose

Re: them playing the field.
It's true no one knows anything beyond what they choose to show but we do have good ol' juicy gossip. Phil isn't the only nosy eavesdropper :tsk:. Remember a fan who sat next to them during their date to see the Cursed Child recounted, a little vividly :lol:, how Phil fed Dan candy? Whatever status Phil holds in Dan's harem of boyfriends, it must be at least high ranking if he gets to take care of his oral fixation during a play. This is a shitpost I wanted to get in before the thread ends, don't take it seriously.
I don't expect they'll do any liveshows this week, i hope for a gaming video on Tuesday and an AP on Thursday.
liola
rankussy

malday wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm Re: them playing the field.
It's true no one knows anything beyond what they choose to show but we do have good ol' juicy gossip. Phil isn't the only nosy eavesdropper :tsk:. Remember a fan who sat next to them during their date to see the Cursed Child recounted, a little vividly :lol:, how Phil fed Dan candy? Whatever status Phil holds in Dan's harem of boyfriends, it must be at least high ranking if he gets to take care of his oral fixation during a play. This is a shitpost I wanted to get in before the thread ends, don't take it seriously.
I don't expect they'll do any liveshows this week, i hope for a gaming video on Tuesday and an AP on Thursday.
Okay but how do I get into this Phil-feeding candy business? Do you think Dan has a contract with specific times or is something that works whenever, like Phil is always available? How do I make Dan let me borrow Phil-feeding candy abilities for once? Wil it be expensive? Man, so many questions
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

malday wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm Re: them playing the field.
Oh my word, this seriously cracked me up! So, thank you for that! But it's opened the door to so many questions. How does a guy apply to join Dan's harem? Is there a formal application process? A wait list? Does Phil, as highest ranking harem member, get any say in the process?
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell