Dan & Phil Part 66: Rainbow Nerds

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

fancybum wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pmHmm I don't want to come off like I'm arguing just for the sake of arguing, but how does
I think this video (as in the literal process of making and posting it, not the actions he's describing within as they relate to his life changes) probably made Dan satisfied in the short term, and won't do much in the long run.
not equally apply to basically any video he makes? Talking about how he temporarily blinded himself a bit and then ate a muffin is just a thing he did and then made a video about, just like talking about this is just a thing he's doing and decided to make a video about.
One is in a storytelling format, recounting a specific event that happened to him (in completion, so there's a definite ending/resolution to the story - no big overlying life questions left unanswered or Uncle Dan imparting any advice besides maybe don't procrastinate and check which way your aerosol nozzles are pointed) for our lolz because he thought it was a funny situation. The other is philosophical open-ended soul searching ramble with far more heavy of a subject matter. To me those are not the same type of entertainment as all, meaning that one of them comes off strictly as entertainment and the other comes off as Dan wanting to connect with us and tell us something about himself and his mindset while being kinda funny and sarcastic about it.

I'm not trying to take away anything from anyone who got something out of the video. I'm just doing what we always do on the forum and saying what I think of the things they do. If Dan makes a funny video I don't find funny, I'll say that I don't find it funny. If he makes a soul searching video acting like he's found enlightenment but it doesn't seem enlightened to me, I'll say it doesn't seem enlightened. That's definitely one of the things about posting on a forum - I'm talking about Dan here, and how I react to Dan's video. I understand there are people who relate to the video and it feels like I'm insulting them (or, you) but I'm honestly not - because if I followed the logic if not critiquing something because someone who might read the critique might relate and take it personally, I'd never end up posting any opinions on here at all.

And I'm not arguing that Dan even needs to have concrete progress in order to make a video or that he shouldn't make videos like this. If Dan wants to ramble messily at us about what's in his head, that's fine with me. Like I said before, there's nothing aggressive in what I'm saying.
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 pm
fancybum wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pmHmm I don't want to come off like I'm arguing just for the sake of arguing, but how does
I think this video (as in the literal process of making and posting it, not the actions he's describing within as they relate to his life changes) probably made Dan satisfied in the short term, and won't do much in the long run.
not equally apply to basically any video he makes? Talking about how he temporarily blinded himself a bit and then ate a muffin is just a thing he did and then made a video about, just like talking about this is just a thing he's doing and decided to make a video about.
One is in a storytelling format, recounting a specific event that happened to him (in completion, so there's a definite ending/resolution to the story - no big overlying life questions left unanswered or Uncle Dan imparting any advice besides maybe don't procrastinate and check which way your aerosol nozzles are pointed) for our lolz because he thought it was a funny situation. The other is philosophical open-ended soul searching ramble with far more heavy of a subject matter. To me those are not the same type of entertainment as all, meaning that one of them comes off strictly as entertainment and the other comes off as Dan wanting to connect with us and tell us something about himself and his mindset while being kinda funny and sarcastic about it.

I'm not trying to take away anything from anyone who got something out of the video. I'm just doing what we always do on the forum and saying what I think of the things they do. If Dan makes a funny video I don't find funny, I'll say that I don't find it funny. If he makes a soul searching video acting like he's found enlightenment but it doesn't seem enlightened to me, I'll say it doesn't seem enlightened. That's definitely one of the things about posting on a forum - I'm talking about Dan here, and how I react to Dan's video. I understand there are people who relate to the video and it feels like I'm insulting them (or, you) but I'm honestly not - because if I followed the logic if not critiquing something because someone who might read the critique might relate and take it personally, I'd never end up posting any opinions on here at all.

And I'm not arguing that Dan even needs to have concrete progress in order to make a video or that he shouldn't make videos like this. If Dan wants to ramble messily at us about what's in his head, that's fine with me. Like I said before, there's nothing aggressive in what I'm saying.
I mean yeah stop insulting me dizzy that’s really all I’m asking omg so fucking rude
( :lol: :lilheart: )
malday wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm I don't expect they'll do any liveshows this week, i hope for a gaming video on Tuesday and an AP on Thursday.
Oh ye of little faith. My expectations are sky high that a liveshow Will Happen this week because I still haven’t learned. But I’ll only blame myself when I’m wrong, so maybe that’s progress lol.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:50 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 pm

I mean yeah stop insulting me dizzy that’s really all I’m asking omg so fucking rude
( :lol: :lilheart: )
I was gonna come up with some totally scathing insults here just to prove how rude i can be, but Jimmy just uploaded a video so you're spared for today.

( :love1: :love1: always my fave)
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

malday wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm Re: them playing the field.
It's true no one knows anything beyond what they choose to show but we do have good ol' juicy gossip. Phil isn't the only nosy eavesdropper :tsk:. Remember a fan who sat next to them during their date to see the Cursed Child recounted, a little vividly :lol:, how Phil fed Dan candy? Whatever status Phil holds in Dan's harem of boyfriends, it must be at least high ranking if he gets to take care of his oral fixation during a play. This is a shitpost I wanted to get in before the thread ends, don't take it seriously.
I don't expect they'll do any liveshows this week, i hope for a gaming video on Tuesday and an AP on Thursday.
??? is there a backstory to this? i know you said not to take it seriously (i read into things too much and sometimes sarcasm goes over my head because of that reasoning)
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I never came back to share my actual thoughts on Dan's video so here it is I guess. I didn't like it. :shrug:

I see a guy who in search of his own happiness started doing research on stuff (with or without help from therapy), realized some things about himself and society and now he just has to share that with the world. Because reasons. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's great that he's finding stuff out about himself and something can be said for Dan using he newfound knowledge to inspire others. I'm just not sure whether he really is in a place to do that yet.

The video left me unsatisfied. It ran in circles and had no real conclusion. And you could say that that's just his ~real life~ that he was sharing which may just not have a conclusion. But for me all he did (which sounds so much more negative than what I mean because it's still a loaded thing to do) was say things I can find in self help books or websites. To me it lacked a personal touch, I would have wanted to know more about the way he applies all this advice to his own life. Now, am I entitled to his personal shit? Nah. Was there any point to that video if he didn't go even just a little more personal? imo... also no.

The subject of the video is obviously important to him, I think it's great that he made it if he feels that helps himself, and it's also good that he inspired other people with it. But whatever message was in there didn't land for me.
somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 am I slept through the Oscars and all the pictures because of my inconvenient timezone, but now that I've woken up and assessed the situation, I'd like to point out two things.

a) If Dan watched Simply Nailogical, he'd know there's no such thing as edible glitter. Our boy is out there eating decorative plastic.

b) Phil is sitting on the remote controller, which I somehow find more amusing than anything else about these photos.
I'm hoping that with 'edible glitter' he means Lustre Dust, which isn't plastic nor is it actual edible glitter which melts in liquids (which does exist, just not really from the Rainbow Dust brand and it isn't made from sugar) but does look super pretty in drinks. It does give the drink a cloudy effect though, and the drink in Dan's hand isn't cloudy.

So while it's possible they didn't drink actual plastic and I sure hope they didn't... I can see them being dumb enough to do just that. :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ooh, another good new channel discovery, also he said what I was thinking about the glitter and I think Phil mentioned it once ("sparkly poops"). I wondered at first if it was made of sugar and dissolved, but I also haven't watched enough Simply Nailogical to know.
phillyforgot
butt chair

Late to the party, but I thought I'd say the sleeping Phil picture looks pretty sweet. :love1:
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

-I'm being optimistic and hoping for a gaming vid today or tomorrow, a liveshow on thursday (I feel like it's been literal months since the last one :cry: ) and maybe an AP video at some point too ? a girl can dream
-Phil actually looking cute af when he sleeps, truly man of talent :love2: I also love the unnecessary close up pic.. like genuinely I wonder what made Dan take that ? Did he think it was embarassing or did he want us to appreciate Phil's facial features ?
- The interview was sweet, I love when they talk about being in their flat and discussing every project together, v committed v domestic v cute
annoying dog
crusty sponge

ratlad wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:01 pm
It's true no one knows anything beyond what they choose to show but we do have good ol' juicy gossip. Phil isn't the only nosy eavesdropper :tsk:. Remember a fan who sat next to them during their date to see the Cursed Child recounted, a little vividly :lol:, how Phil fed Dan candy? Whatever status Phil holds in Dan's harem of boyfriends, it must be at least high ranking if he gets to take care of his oral fixation during a play. This is a shitpost I wanted to get in before the thread ends, don't take it seriously.
I don't expect they'll do any liveshows this week, i hope for a gaming video on Tuesday and an AP on Thursday.
??? is there a backstory to this? i know you said not to take it seriously (i read into things too much and sometimes sarcasm goes over my head because of that reasoning)
I don't remember this! Can we get the details? :>
hello9217
flower crown

AroboticPhil wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:45 pm -I'm being optimistic and hoping for a gaming vid today or tomorrow, a liveshow on thursday (I feel like it's been literal months since the last one :cry: ) and maybe an AP video at some point too ? a girl can dream
-Phil actually looking cute af when he sleeps, truly man of talent :love2: I also love the unnecessary close up pic.. like genuinely I wonder what made Dan take that ? Did he think it was embarassing or did he want us to appreciate Phil's facial features ?
- The interview was sweet, I love when they talk about being in their flat and discussing every project together, v committed v domestic v cute
It has been. His one and only liveshow this year was on Feb. 1st. So it's been more than a month and I'm really craving a Phil liveshow. As it doesn't seem that there will be a video tonight, I say now and then they will literally post, I'm guessing gaming tomorrow and hopefully Phil liveshow thursday. I mean a girl can dream.
alien
procrastinator

Ok I'm just now looking at the Big Potato interview - why is it so hilarious that they answered each question as if they are one entity? :platonic:
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

alien wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:27 pm Ok I'm just now looking at the Big Potato interview - why is it so hilarious that they answered each question as if they are one entity? :platonic:
Yes I found that funny too. They must have each spoken separately (maybe Dan did most of the talking like he did in some of the tatinof interviews), but whoever wrote up the interview decided to present them as a single entity not as individuals. How common is that in interviews with duos?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
apathy
sad dimple

shoe wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm
alien wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:27 pm Ok I'm just now looking at the Big Potato interview - why is it so hilarious that they answered each question as if they are one entity? :platonic:
Yes I found that funny too. They must have each spoken separately (maybe Dan did most of the talking like he did in some of the tatinof interviews), but whoever wrote up the interview decided to present them as a single entity not as individuals. How common is that in interviews with duos?
I kind of assumed the "interview" was done via a list of questions sent by email, with D&/orP replying back their collective responses. The answers sound written and polished, and there's no reaction or follow up from the interview questions to indicate a back-and-forth conversation.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
malday
emo goose

They went to see the play last year, a fan who sat next to them gossiped about it, other than that the harem part has no backstory (or does it? :illuminati: no one will know)
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

malday wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 am
They went to see the play last year, a fan who sat next to them gossiped about it, other than that the harem part has no backstory (or does it? :illuminati: no one will know)
lmao, but that's cute though. i hope she didn't intentionally sit behind them and spy on them the whole time. (or were they already reserved seats??)
although, if i seen my idols in public or right in front of me, i don't think it would be easy keeping my eyes off of them out of disbelief tbh. I'd try my best tho.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

apathy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 pm
shoe wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm
I kind of assumed the "interview" was done via a list of questions sent by email, with D&/orP replying back their collective responses. The answers sound written and polished, and there's no reaction or follow up from the interview questions to indicate a back-and-forth conversation.
Agree with the answers probably being written via email or something, that's also what I assumed. Some of the phrasing seemed more Dan-esque to me, but it was all mostly pretty generic answers.

I find it funny that they made the comment about their audience being smart and noticing if something was off (paraphrasing). More like we're all in way too deep and would instantly notice any discrepancies :lol:

Got to agree with everyone, i was not a fan of the "living under a rock or over the age of 25" thing. Big eye roll from me when i read that. They're not out to make content for "youngsters" as the author of the article put it -- its kind of insulting to their older viewers and weird that they would pick the age line at 25, considering both of the boys themselves are older than that. :roll:
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
willowgarden
squish

Thanks for all the responses esp to the peeps who thumbs-up. Shouting into the void doesn't inspire me with the most confidence, so I'm shocked other people, yep, agree with this idea. Speaking of, I liked reading posts of the commenters who didn't really see where Dan's solo vid was progressing, either narratively or figuratively. I know that we've all collectively moved on, but you guys inspire me to rethink some of Dan's points. He left the viewer's interpretation deliberately ambiguous... as one does when one asks what the fuck even is your sexuality?

If you're following celeb culture at all, Lee Pace and his latest tweets are additional reasons for... sad-happy? If that's a thing? I'm happy he's comfortable enough to take the edge off a purposefully titillating quote from a magazine interview, sad to see that he feels the need to emphasize that he's an actor first, to focus on his work and not his personal life. May also explain Dip and Dot's reluctance to quantify their relationship at this stage of the game. Once you're known as something in particular, people predispose. When's the last time we all collectively speculated on Meryl Streep's husband the sculptor? If you're fluid, queer, or LGBTQ+, that's all the public sees

But anyway, love Phil, the sleeping Oscars photo is another excellent creepshot. Truly blessed. He's on top of that clicker like a meerkat guarding his claim. And I'm sorry, regarding Dan's shirt, if you're even moderately wealthy, remember Dolly Parton's words: "honey, it take a whole lot of money to look this cheap."
I don’t know anybody or anything. Please don’t ever talk to me again. Tell everybody to stop talking to me. ~ Kurt Vonnegut
starwatersong
phabergé

Love, love, love how explicitly the interview said it was Phil’s original idea.

Sure, the interview was with one amorphous Dan/Phil, but it’s not a stretch to figure out who wrote that part. <3
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

Happy Content Day, everyone! I don't know what content we're getting, but we're definitely probably getting something! :sunshine: (and if not then :shrug: no expectations makes for pleasant surprises regarding Dave and Paul imo ;) )

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with what @willowgarden had said earlier; never have I wanted a like love button more. I have a lot of thoughts on the subject and maybe when I'm feeling particularly eloquent and not zazzed up on my morning coffee I'll try to word them, but for now I'll just go with 'ugh saaame!'
autumnhearth
senpai

ratlad wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:52 am
malday wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 am
lmao, but that's cute though. i hope she didn't intentionally sit behind them and spy on them the whole time. (or were they already reserved seats??)
although, if i seen my idols in public or right in front of me, i don't think it would be easy keeping my eyes off of them out of disbelief tbh. I'd try my best tho.
Thanks for finding the receipt malday, I was curious too. Sharing their pick and mix isn’t quite the same as Phil popping it in Dan’s mouth in public ;) , but I appreciate the mental image it created.

And yeah ratlad they are definitely reserved seats and Cursed Child tickets are pretty hard to get.

I had a double deppy content dream this morning. I had just finished watching a gaming video where they forgot to do the end screen and instead had some soft cheesy music fade out. I came on here to talk about it, but there were several pages screaming about a trailer for a project they were involved in “Project for Happiness” where they were at a pre-school/daycare doing finger painting which devolved into body painting and butt prints (Dan was wearing spandex biking shorts) and putting on tutus. All the quoting of the original post was slowing down the website and I couldn’t move forward. :lol:

So um, here’s hoping for something today.

I don’t think I talked about the Oscars pics, it was a really nice surprise when I got home from watching The Walking Dead with my siblings. I was shocked by how much that ornate silk ‘carpet print’ shirt originally cost, but relieved to see he found it at a discount (he did talk about this briefly in a ls). Still probably a few hundred pounds. :roll:

Just thought I’d toss out a cute domestic image: I’m pretty sure Phil fell asleep on a loveseat as there is an arm to his left, but also a second cushion to his right, so it can’t be one of those club chairs, and their long asymmetrical doesn’t seem to have arms.
Three guesses who was probably sat next to him. :garbage:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm not sure how many people check the compilations subforum so I am gonna link it here to make sure no one misses @@susan2's fantastic compilation of all the candles Dan has mentioned. I can't think of more to add off of my head, but I love seeing them all written out. And consequently, fuck he had some pricey candles.
phillyforgot
butt chair

I wonder if Dan and Phil will upload soon. They've only posted the sleeping Phil picture two days ago, but it feels like they've been missing for weeks. :shrug:

I hope they at least do a live show so we all can have something to talk about. :impatient:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

phillyforgot wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm I wonder if Dan and Phil will upload soon. They've only posted the sleeping Phil picture two days ago, but it feels like they've been missing for weeks. :shrug:

I hope they at least do a live show so we all can have something to talk about. :impatient:
Dan's video was only on Saturday, that was barely three days ago! If anything I think we might get a gaming video today or tomorrow but they usually like to leave room around main channel videos, I guess to maximize hype over them.

I am curious to see if he'll do a liveshow next or Phil will, though. I am wondering if they're just kind of putting liveshows into their content rotation? So it'll be Dan liveshow, then Phil's turn, then Dan again? Or if they're just going to work them in when they have something to talk about (so after a main channel video) or when they have something to announce (like tour related things).
dancy
procrastinator

To hell with the gaming channel, I want a live show soon (jk I'll take anything but y'know what I mean). Preferably a joint live show, which is likely not gonna happen but a girl can dream. Phil has done only one this year and if he isn't doing one this week and doesn't like doing them on his own for whatever reason, he might as well join Dan.

I've watched Dan's video 4 times now and I genuinely like it and think it was funny at times and thought-provoking, despite it being a bit vague and lacking a conclusion. Y'all are also probably right about the masks representing drama, that does make the most sense.