Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

ratlad wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:17 pm"phan divorce" is a curse word. Yes, DnP are moving away from each other after their 6 month tour all because Dan said he eats ass in his liveshow.
Pffft. Obviously the true and correct interpretation of this is that Dan only wants a professional film crew and editors so that they can spend less time on videos and he can spend more time eating Phil's ass.
:forthememe:
hello9217
flower crown

Amiaw wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:29 pm
Ewok wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:10 pm
hello9217 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 pm I thought this was hilarious because I just had this picture in my head of Dan forcing Phil to wake up and tweet something as a form of damage control. Like Phil usually spends five minutes replying to 3 or 4 people but this time he replied to quite a few people over the span of 30 minutes.
I saw this as damage control too, or a way of taking the heat off of Dan. What a good boy who is a friend!
The bright spot in this whole situation is all the love that I've seen for Phil. He's not an angel and he's certainly been complicit in things that frustrate the fandom, but he has a way of not stirring the pot that I really appreciate.

Now if he would remember that Younow exists, I'd very much appreciate his opinion on candy and his hot take on pigeon-mating.
This made me chuckle. I need him to do a liveshow and share about the tea with his neighbors, and talk about his snow day, and hopefully mention black panther and maybe even queer eye (this is me being very hopeful.)
rowlet
smol bean

So I haven’t posted on here in ages and this isn’t gonna add anything fresh to the discussion but this whole thing has left me w so many feelings™️ it’s like I can’t not post. Like a lot of other people have said my overwhelming feeling is sadness for dan mixed with frustration both at him and on his behalf. As an anxious and depressed binch going through both a sexuality & quarter life crisis I just can’t even imagine how it would feel to experience that in front of literally millions of people. Like I get the worst anxiety just posting something kind of referencing my sexuality on Instagram to my like 300 followers so I truly can’t imagine what it feels like for Dan. Idk, I can’t find it in myself to be angry at him for what he said in his ls just because it felt like something that came from a place of real fear and anxiety. Like having the ass clip up and ready to go was ridiculously extra but to me that just shows how much this might have actually freaked him out, even if maybe he thought that it wouldn’t. I think he 100% knew when filming and editing that people would assume he was talking about sucking dick and that he thought he was fine with that, but when it came down to it perhaps it made him more uncomfortable than he thought it would?? Like other people have said I think he genuinely really wants to be this authentic and open person but is struggling with finding the right ways to go about it that feel safe for him. Idk man, I realise this sounds like I’m massively babying him and ik he’s a fully grown man but I just see so much of myself in dan and his reactions that I can’t help but want to be soft w him. I think Dan’s tendency to be messy and unpredictable and confusing is honestly what draws me to him, it makes him feel real and... ironically genuine. Anyway, I’ll stop senselessly rambling now and finish this by saying I can excuse a lot but I cannot excuse him wearing the cute little earrings one time and then depriving us of them ever since.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

if someone expresses concern about whether or not their work is viewed the way they want it to be then it makes sense to me that they might not want to be as open as possible and take small steps back.

when you're a queer creator or entertainer, ultimately that is going to be a massive part of you that people talk about. whether it's positive or not, people talk about it - even when it comes down to "it's not WHY i like him" it's still a factor that gets talked about a lot. it's not necessarily wrong, so many of us do it just because representation is nice and stuff like that, but if you've expressed insecurities over whether or not your work is as serious and appreciated as you want it to be then introducing more factors of your personal life and realising it's going to be talked about even more while your work is downplayed could be scary.

also i'd be excited about employing other people if it means more complex ideas are carried out. it could mean getting the aspects of dan's videomaking that people like + the artistic talents of another person too. collaboration is nice and it doesn't need to mean sacrificing anything
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I've had a night to mull everything over, and I think I've figured out what bothered me about Dan's ls comments re his most recent video. Bare with me, as I'm sure a lot of this has been mentioned in earlier posts. Basically, I see two problems with Dan's waffling over, I don't know, BJgate2018. First, let's talk about the triangle.( :illuminati: ) So Dan talked a bit about his video crafting process and how, for him, his videos should have 3 components; they should be important, entertaining, and personal. So let's apply that to his most recent video. The important bit was clearly his discussion about his quest for happiness and authentic living. The sketches were entertaining (I still want to know how many takes it took to get that cherry to fall at just the right moment). So that leaves the personal bit. I would argue that his frank illusions to his own sexual appetite (sorry if that sounds a bit graphic, but I couldn't think of another way to say it) were what made the video personal. Dan rarely talks about sex in a personal way in his videos. He'll talk about it in the abstract, this subculture or that meme, but him claiming sex as something that makes him happy, something that he counts as part of living authentically, that was personal. So by removing those mentions as mere jokes, his triangle is just an angle.

Second, I was bothered by how Dan misrepresented his audience. Now, I certainly do not claim to have read every single YouTube comment under his most recent video. I doubt anyone has that much free time on their hands. But I read several, and the ones that touched on the sexual jokes weren't teens off in a corner all "OMG, Dan likes penis!" On the contrary, I saw dozens of threads that started off "Did he just?" with answers of "Yes, he did!" or "Yep! I'm so proud!" The general fan reaction to his jokes about having a penis in his mouth (again, sorry if that's graphic, but that's what he was saying)was one of acceptance. Some fans saw those jokes as a quasi-coming out and praised him for it. Others (and I think this was the consensus on this board) saw the jokes as a lowering of his walls, as Dan taking another step towards vulnerability and openness. Those fans also praised Dan's bravery. As has been mentioned on this board by many others above me, some people were emboldened by Dan's forthright content, and it inspired them to be more open or authentic about their own queer identities. So when Dan represented the general fan reaction as "giggle giggle PENIS giggle" it came off as both disingenuous and patronizing. As a fan who'd seen the video as a step forward and had expressed pride in Dan for being brave on his main channel, I felt invalidated.

Now, does this mean I'm unstanning, will never watch another video again? Obviously not. I still love Dan and Phil and enjoy their content. But I wish Dan would get a place where he feels brave enough to not backtrack or qualify everything he says, and also give his audience the credit they deserve.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
fancybum
senpai

rowlet wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 pm So I haven’t posted on here in ages and this isn’t gonna add anything fresh to the discussion but this whole thing has left me w so many feelings™️ it’s like I can’t not post. Like a lot of other people have said my overwhelming feeling is sadness for dan mixed with frustration both at him and on his behalf. As an anxious and depressed binch going through both a sexuality & quarter life crisis I just can’t even imagine how it would feel to experience that in front of literally millions of people. Like I get the worst anxiety just posting something kind of referencing my sexuality on Instagram to my like 300 followers so I truly can’t imagine what it feels like for Dan. Idk, I can’t find it in myself to be angry at him for what he said in his ls just because it felt like something that came from a place of real fear and anxiety. Like having the ass clip up and ready to go was ridiculously extra but to me that just shows how much this might have actually freaked him out, even if maybe he thought that it wouldn’t. I think he 100% knew when filming and editing that people would assume he was talking about sucking dick and that he thought he was fine with that, but when it came down to it perhaps it made him more uncomfortable than he thought it would?? Like other people have said I think he genuinely really wants to be this authentic and open person but is struggling with finding the right ways to go about it that feel safe for him. Idk man, I realise this sounds like I’m massively babying him and ik he’s a fully grown man but I just see so much of myself in dan and his reactions that I can’t help but want to be soft w him. I think Dan’s tendency to be messy and unpredictable and confusing is honestly what draws me to him, it makes him feel real and... ironically genuine. Anyway, I’ll stop senselessly rambling now and finish this by saying I can excuse a lot but I cannot excuse him wearing the cute little earrings one time and then depriving us of them ever since.
I agree with all of this but I agree most with the earring deprivation. How. Dare. He.
(also the hoops were cute or whatever, but I prefer the studs, #bringbackthestuds2018)

Phil talking about candy for 40 minutes would be a blessing right about now, or gossiping about his neighbours, yes please. Being a nosy bitch is the most relatable he's ever been, if he wanted to incorporate that somehow into his next video, I wouldn't be mad. But should we expect a gaming video as the next thing on the schedule...?
jaej wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm also i'd be excited about employing other people if it means more complex ideas are carried out. it could mean getting the aspects of dan's videomaking that people like + the artistic talents of another person too. collaboration is nice and it doesn't need to mean sacrificing anything
Thiiiiiiiis. More people could enhance his ideas. @autumnhearth I totally forgot about his yammering about his 7 deadly sins thing but that would definitely be something that could benefit from help and collaboration. With other people involved, he could do bigger ideas that all alone (+ Phil) he wouldn't really be able to do justice at the level required. Not all change has to be bad. Maybe.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
phillyforgot
butt chair

I mean, Dan did annoy me, but I'm glad Phil got his appetite back. His recent tweet even got a smile out of me. And considering Dan mentioned a Phil video, we might hear from him soon enough. :D
applegrass
dank meme

@sapienveneficus I totally agree with your post, but especially with your avatar xD
Seriously though, you have a point about Dan misinterpreting his audience. I've just checked the comment section on YT, and the ones on top (at least for me, if it varies for different accounts) are quite supportive and adequate. Well, maybe, he got this 'dan sux diccs!1' impression from Tumblr or Twitter.
dancy
procrastinator

Wow, this single live show has sparked seven pages of discussion. I'm not going to go into detail about it because many others have already worded their opinions in a much better way than I ever could. However, I did say earlier that I wanted a live show rather than a gaming video and I take that back. He should've waited until all the enthusiasm about the fellatio comments had died down but he seemed like he really wanted to "clear up the misunderstanding" for whatever reason. Honestly, as soon as he started talking about it, I had to look away from the screen and was like "Just stop talking already!".

Moments like these make me wish I could take a look inside his head to figure out what his thought processes are like, how he actually feels about certain things and what he thinks of and sees from his audience. And has he seen any of this discussion surrounding his live show at all or did he just have dinner and watch some Netflix afterwards? I just don't get him sometimes because he's being vague, giving mixed signals and talking at us instead of with us. It's much easier for me to symphatize with viewers who are upset with him because I'm a viewer as well.

I'm not really expecting anything today but a gaming video is always welcome. As for Phil, I'd love for him to do a live show on Thursday since he hasn't done one in so long. Dan said a Phil video needs to happen soon (which makes it sound like he's going to be in it too), so I don't think it's been filmed yet but we might get it at the end of the week or so.

Regarding Dan's solo merch, I'm not a fan of D&P's wearable merch but I am kinda excited about this. I'm hoping it'll be subtle, aesthetic, something that he would actually wear himself and maybe with a feel-good message à la Nathan Zed's Good Enough hoodies (which I own and absolutely love).
kavat
pastel persona

dancy wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:32 pm
Regarding Dan's solo merch, I'm not a fan of D&P's wearable merch but I am kinda excited about this. I'm hoping it'll be subtle, aesthetic, something that he would actually wear himself and maybe with a feel-good message à la Nathan Zed's Good Enough hoodies (which I own and absolutely love).
I hope so too. I hope he takes inspiration from Nathan, Dean Dobbs (I love the confused looks I get while wearing my Eat people jumper), Savannah Brown or even Mitchell Davis ~.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

applegrass wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 pm @sapienveneficus I totally agree with your post, but especially with your avatar xD
Always thrilled to meet another DWSA fan! Were you able to see the show?
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
applegrass
dank meme

sapienveneficus wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:00 pm Always thrilled to meet another DWSA fan! Were you able to see the show?
Unfortunately, my geolocation is against me seeing shows.

Also, yes to taking inspiration from Savannah/Mitchell/Dean/Nathan!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

uh okay
hello9217
flower crown

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 pm uh okay
King of damage control and being an amazing boyfriend friend
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 pm uh okay
He doesn't sound very excited about it, lmao :lol:
Happy he's uploading, this kind of makes me think we might get a liveshow tomorrow
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

double posting, but there is a reason why Phil is my fave and this is a very much apart of it lmao
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Do I need to see Dan pretend everything's okay? Can't I just get a Things I Regret Buying Part 3?

Says the #DanGirl, but... ya know... Brief conscious uncoupling.
hello9217
flower crown

This boy out here making 12am tweets, replying to people for 30 minutes, uploading a video today with dan that was probably supposed to go up tomorrow instead of a liveshow... someone get phil a pr job
alien
procrastinator

rizzo wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 pm Do I need to see Dan's pretend everything's okay? Can't I just get a Things I Regret Buying Part 3?

Yeah...like when did they film this??
malday
emo goose

alien wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm
rizzo wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 pm Do I need to see Dan's pretend everything's okay? Can't I just get a Things I Regret Buying Part 3?

Maybe it's a vlog documenting the process of designing their stage show set. He said he wanted to make a video about that.
Last edited by malday on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

hello9217 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:24 pm This boy out here making 12am tweets, replying to people for 30 minutes, uploading a video today with dan that was probably supposed to go up tomorrow instead of a liveshow... someone get phil a pr job
Truly had the exact same thought. Now I'm expected an LS tomorrow for further smoothing of the current phandom landscape~ :lol:
alien
procrastinator

malday wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:28 pm
alien wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Maybe it's a vlog documenting the process of designing their stage show set. He said he wanted to make a video about that.
I won't get my hopes up but I would love that!
liola
rankussy

rizzo wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 pm
hello9217 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:24 pm This boy out here making 12am tweets, replying to people for 30 minutes, uploading a video today with dan that was probably supposed to go up tomorrow instead of a liveshow... someone get phil a pr job
Truly had the exact same thought. Now I'm expected an LS tomorrow for further smoothing of the current phandom landscape~ :lol:
Phil is truly out there trying to damage control. Reminds me of when he posted the sleepless night with Phil right after people started taking about room theories lmao

Listen, I'll take a Phil video every single time. And if HE wants to make a post video liveshow tomorrow, please. Warm and fuzzy Phil talking for a hour about the candy he enjoys, he can spon every single item of merch and tour.

Though I'm hoping for something cute. Their collabs on Phil's channel are always one of the softest content along the gaming videos
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
anonymousdork
delia smith

God, I love Phil.

Ok, now that I have a clearer head - I would like to amend some of my statement from last night. I'm not really mad, just frustrated and sad for Dan. I hope he figures out what he needs to/wants to share about himself while respecting his viewers, and understanding that(most)of them respect him as well.

(But I stand by my words on outside production. Still hate that.)
Your ass is where you feel all your most important emotions
zazzed
squish

:lol: