Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Marshmallow
not a first-time poster

Ewok wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 pm Some rambly, too-long thoughts:

But then - there were other moments where they were both cracking jokes about being attracted to men and dragging one another for it. Was this part of the damage control? Reaffirming something about their attraction to men when... that was never truly the issue in the first place (for most of us, anyways)? I could be reading too deep into it.
I kind of got the opposite vibe. I could see they were joking about it for Phil but Dan kept being pretty not jokey about himself. Like how he said he just likes sport or fitness. It felt less jokey. Also looking into the camera like he was on the office after that sausage comment.
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

Marshmallow wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 am

But then - there were other moments where they were both cracking jokes about being attracted to men and dragging one another for it. Was this part of the damage control? Reaffirming something about their attraction to men when... that was never truly the issue in the first place (for most of us, anyways)? I could be reading too deep into it.
I kind of got the opposite vibe. I could see they were joking about it for Phil but Dan kept being pretty not jokey about himself. Like how he said he just likes sport or fitness. It felt less jokey. Also looking into the camera like he was on the office after that sausage comment.
Yeah I felt the same. With Phil it was just something they laughed off but for Dan he seemed to have to clarify everything. Even towards the end he said something along the lines of it only being in his feed because of his audience (which can someone explain how that works)
Idk I'm still salty and probably projecting too much but the video did make me laugh a bit and Phil was his usual sunshine self, which helps out immensely. Like someone said earlier I think he was really just trying to make Dan laugh and I can appreciate that.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

Marshmallow wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 am

they weren't acting as if it was weird to be attracted to men at all, they were literally fawning over Timothy lol
it seems like they probably gush over cute boys together :)
and i got that dan was most likely joking when he said it was "the audience" making things appear in his feed. he was probably making a shady comment about what he said in the liveshow because he definitely seen everything the phandom had to say about him, no doubt.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

liola wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 pm Phil Lester, king of damage control, beauty, talent, kindness, looking good in black and liking men on his explore page without making too much of a fuss about it.

It's so sad to me bc of what happened yesterday that in the eyes of the fans Phil always looks like a saint in comparison. Dan can't have everything put together as well as Phil but what can you do. From now on, that's gonna be it (as if it's not been like that forever) praise Phil to the heavens take it out on Dan for breathing (i'm exaggerating... Phil deserves all the praise and.. yeah Dan kinda deserved it too but cmon.. it's really unequal)

I'm sorry i'm not feeling that good rn.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I liked the video, Phil even was wearing something dark, he's spoiling us. I died laughing reading the proof he filmed and posted this today. (I love watching pottery videos too, liked that bit.)
Dan looks good but tired, hope he's okay, it's not because sometimes I want to grab his youtube plaque and hit him over the head a few times with it that I want the guy suffering or anything, hope he got a few hours of sleep after that.
Marshmallow
not a first-time poster

yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:41 am
liola wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 pm Phil Lester, king of damage control, beauty, talent, kindness, looking good in black and liking men on his explore page without making too much of a fuss about it.

It's so sad to me bc of what happened yesterday that in the eyes of the fans Phil always looks like a saint in comparison. Dan can't have everything put together as well as Phil but what can you do. From now on, that's gonna be it (as if it's not been like that forever) praise Phil to the heavens take it out on Dan for breathing (i'm exaggerating... Phil deserves all the praise and.. yeah Dan kinda deserved it too but cmon.. it's really unequal)

It's because Phil doesn't ever really have this sort of thing happen. If he did then it probably would be more equal in terms of people's reactions.
mathsniel
drama llama

ratlad wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 am tell me if i am wrong, but was there a little rose ornament on Phil's dresser in the background? the green and red thing... hmmm..... .
i just went back and looked and i don't think it is a rose. in phil's previous video he has this in the background:

the red is a little red flower or something.

it looks like he's just gained a tiny little plant that's in front of it!
Last edited by mathsniel on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Marshmallow wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:56 am

It's because Phil doesn't ever really have this sort of thing happen. If he did then it probably would be more equal in terms of people's reactions.
No, trust me, the next time Dan says something people are wholeheartedly behind the narrative will flip to, "Why can't Phil be more outspoken? Why can't Phil show us that he has real beliefs and opinions on things?"
sonicgreen
woodland creature

mathsniel wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 am
ratlad wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 am tell me if i am wrong, but was there a little rose ornament on Phil's dresser in the background? the green and red thing... hmmm..... .
i just went back and looked and i don't think it is a rose. in phil's previous video he has this in the background:

I think the tiny little plant is this cactus candle:
(From "I Killed My Houseplant")
No clue what the red thing is, though?
parallel
phabergé

I liked that. It was a cute and cosy video, and excellent damage control/PR from Phil. Seriously, this guy should be hired as a PR agent. He essentially is Dan's PR agent. I know it's just trying to console us all, but I don't care. Good videos are good videos!
jaej wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:42 pm i can't believe phil threw the first brick at stonewall, queer icon
Holy shit I snorted so loudly. I can't believe IDB is free lmao

Okay, but Phil doesn't pull shit like this. I like Dan more in some ways and I like Phil more in some ways. Phil is reliable and never lashes out or otherwise does this kind of stuff (not saying Dan lashed out, but in the past he definitely has). Dan is more outspoken about a lot of things and I generally find him more relatable and I also love his mental health activism lately. They're different people and we're allowed to have different opinions on them. I know there's a whole ongoing Phandom joke about hating Dan, but if he came out and said that the jokes genuinely hurt him, I would stop and get others to stop. But jokes aside, people don't seem to unironically prefer Phil over Dan more than people prefer Dan over Phil. They're just different people and folks have different opinions on each of them.
hello9217
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 am
Marshmallow wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:56 am

No, trust me, the next time Dan says something people are wholeheartedly behind the narrative will flip to, "Why can't Phil be more outspoken? Why can't Phil show us that he has real beliefs and opinions on things?"
The real issue here is that Phil knows how to speak to his audience and how to communicate pretty well but isn't more outspoken while Dan can easily speak his mind but thinks about other peoples feelings after the fact or once he sees the reaction or just can't properly communicate how he feels.
Anyway I'm really curious to see if Phil will do a liveshow tomorrow. Place your bets now. I'm going for one domestic story, a gloss over of Dan's video (maybe not even mention it) and then a discussion of food poisoning which will smoothly lead into a discussion of food he can now eat.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I liked the video for the most part. I found Dan's defensiveness more grating than I probably would have had yesterday's liveshow not happened, but I do think that he was joking for the most part, particularly with regards to things that imply he's into dudes. Phil's tone when he said "don't" after Dan made the remark on wanting to nibble on that sausage or whatever was interesting, as it sounded like he meant "don't even go there", presumably in reference to the recent drama.

I'm also a little bit over their schtick of 'Phil is pleasant and warm, Dan is snarky and derisive toward Phil', and while that obviously wasn't their dynamic throughout the entirety of the video I did roll my eyes whenever it popped up. Overall though, it was a cute video. I thought Dan looked particularly lovely with that one earring (which, who knows whether the symbolism of that was intentional or not), and Phil came across as a sweetpea. 7.5/10.
Lain
eclipse shirt

*squints*

I may be wrong, but that looks a bit like the Mario piranha plant plushie (or figure?) he had.
ratlad
angel bean

sonicgreen wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 am

ohh that makes sense, thanks!
i wonder if the red thing is another mini plant candle?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Damn Daniel, lookin like a snacc. (dat hoop, dat hoodie, dat neck :garbage:)
Phil's cheeky smile about being stuck on a bus with him at the end of the vid was the cutest thing i've seen all week. <3

I really liked the video, it was cute and lighthearted. I actually think seeing their suggestions and their reactions to it was insightful in some ways, though nothing groundbreaking. Maybe i'm remembering wrong, but i think its been a while since there's been a pretty solid male attraction mention from phil, so that was nice to see.
jaej wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:42 pm i can't believe phil threw the first brick at stonewall, queer icon
lmaooooo, this is my fav takeaway from the video i've seen so far :rofl:
fieldoflovers wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 am The one suprise was cannabias and phil and i loved it! Can stoner!phil please be the the next pastel persona??
I find the cannabis thing on phil's interesting though, kind of unexpected. Marijuana use is pretty common in people our age, and can work really well to treat depression. I wonder if the boys ever partake? I'm pretty sure Dan said he has before, but that was quite a long time ago. More recently he's made some jokes ("weed jumper" and the vape/voice steamer thingy during tatinof come to mind), but those were not completely serious, so i wouldn't say it definitely indicates something. I've just always kind of wondrered.
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

KatjaZoe wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:37 am Damn Daniel, lookin like a snacc. (dat hoop, dat hoodie, dat neck :garbage:)
Phil's cheeky smile about being stuck on a bus with him at the end of the vid was the cutest thing i've seen all week. <3

I really liked the video, it was cute and lighthearted. I actually think seeing their suggestions and their reactions to it was insightful in some ways, though nothing groundbreaking. Maybe i'm remembering wrong, but i think its been a while since there's been a pretty solid male attraction mention from phil, so that was nice to see.
lmaooooo, this is my fav takeaway from the video i've seen so far :rofl:
fieldoflovers wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 am The one suprise was cannabias and phil and i loved it! Can stoner!phil please be the the next pastel persona??
I find the cannabis thing on phil's interesting though, kind of unexpected. Marijuana use is pretty common in people our age, and can work really well to treat depression. I wonder if the boys ever partake? I'm pretty sure Dan said he has before, but that was quite a long time ago. More recently he's made some jokes ("weed jumper" and the vape/voice steamer thingy during tatinof come to mind), but those were not completely serious, so i wouldn't say it definitely indicates something. I've just always kind of wondrered.
This was probably mentioned a few days ago but Phil's recently played on Spotify is a group called Cannabis Club ATL....
Dan isn't the only one rebranding.
autumnhearth
senpai

I’m going to guess that Phil won’t do a ls tomorrow and that today’s video was what he deemed the best distraction and perhaps all that is necessary, and that a ls might be overkill, less controlled and more stressful. (Though I of course I would love to be proved wrong.) A gaming vid this weekend might be a better bet. For the record I really did like the video.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I could kinda see Phil doing a liveshow just to chatter about inane stuff. Especially if they had originally planned on spacing things out so that Phil's video hit tomorrow or the next day.

I liked the video too, I just still have a lot of thought about their motivates and behaviors that I'm not quite sure how to cohesively state yet.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

KatjaZoe wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:37 amI find the cannabis thing on phil's interesting though, kind of unexpected. Marijuana use is pretty common in people our age, and can work really well to treat depression. I wonder if the boys ever partake? I'm pretty sure Dan said he has before, but that was quite a long time ago. More recently he's made some jokes ("weed jumper" and the vape/voice steamer thingy during tatinof come to mind), but those were not completely serious, so i wouldn't say it definitely indicates something. I've just always kind of wondrered.
when did he say this?
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Susannah wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:35 am
KatjaZoe wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:37 amI find the cannabis thing on phil's interesting though, kind of unexpected. Marijuana use is pretty common in people our age, and can work really well to treat depression. I wonder if the boys ever partake? I'm pretty sure Dan said he has before, but that was quite a long time ago. More recently he's made some jokes ("weed jumper" and the vape/voice steamer thingy during tatinof come to mind), but those were not completely serious, so i wouldn't say it definitely indicates something. I've just always kind of wondrered.
when did he say this?
I believe it was a formspring answer, or something alone those lines. I know i've seen a screenshot of it somewhere, but i've just done some extensive googling and i can't find it (help anyone???)
From what i remember someone asked him if he drinks or smokes, and in reference to smoking he says occasionally (or something like that?). He doesn't say weed in the post, but since he made the video about cigarettes we know he never smoked those, so therefore he probably meant weed.

Sorry this is super unhelpful lol, to make up for it here's a cute screenshot i found while looking for this
<3 <3 <3

EDIT: @Amiaw I actually did not know that? Can you (or someone) explain to me how to see what they're listening to on spotify btw? I'd love to creep on what dan is listening to i love his music taste
Last edited by KatjaZoe on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i'm gonna defy phandom flip-narrative and say i'm not totally stoked on either of their actions, right now, lol.

the majority enjoyed the AP video, and ultimately that's what matters; because i saw the genuinely hurt and confused people yesterday who felt shamed for cheering on openness and queer content. additionally i felt irritated at all the 'did he just come out??' i saw on tumblr briefly, as a queer person myself. all of these various reactions are totally justified, and all ends of the spectrum of reactions are to be expected, so i reel back at seeing others trying to sway the discourse with 'i wish' statements regarding other fans. (even though that is *literally* what dan did, yesterday).

the reason i didn't enjoy phil's video is what people above me have already pointed out - i personally don't think dan was ready, and i think phil was erroneous in encouraging him to make this video with him so soon, despite his very best intentions. what we got was phil being an absolute, carefree delight, and dan being very open in one or two instances ('up my ass'), but almost aggressively so; and cagey and dismissive the whole rest of the time. that does not benefit them, or us. when was the last time (or, ever?) you heard him minimising and acting ashamed over furry content? the theme of the video in fact, was shame. for the 'weird' non-sexual stuff, granted, but also for the sexual stuff in a way that left a bad taste in my mouth. yes, they were framed as jokes. but you could apply that to most things, and humorous delivery does not negate impact for every one.

dan is not in his best frame of mind at the moment. i got that sense from the first minute of the dinof video last week, before i even got to the blowjob joke. him speaking just reminded me so heavily of myself in a depressive episode, or just coming out of a bad one, struggling to stay above water and focus on the things that still make me feel okay. his message, about focusing on those things before you can focus on your other needs, was beautiful. i can't fault him for that. but that mindset, which is really heavy, coupled with including something that has perhaps been the most difficult thing he's ever gone through in his career (and continues to be, no matter the progress and enjoyment we witness these days), was just a recipe for a relapse of fear. i actually think dan's biggest fear regarding his content and career may be tied heavily to his self-esteem issues; he's demonstrated fear over not being good enough, not being popular or consumed for any reason other than being: a) pretty b) being a man who likes other men, or to a lesser extent, c) making trendy, sarcastic memey I'm JoeKing jokes. a core fanbase has demonstrated that this is not the case, they've stuck by him through shitstorms and through his changing looks (as in, he's still gorgeous, but not in the baby twink way when he came on the scene), read between all his lines, allowed him to fuck up and perceived him through a queer narrative, however difficult, taken him seriously even when he's not been able to ask for that through his defensive joking, and mourned when he announced less liveshows, his most honest and intimate format.

to my eyes, that is where the pretentiousness and the wanting to control his audience comes from. i suspect there was shock, that turned into disappointment when it triggered past memories, when his core audience reacted in the way they did. focusing on the thing he feels most anxious about instead of giving him our more lowkey, wink-wink-nudge-nudge, proud-but-not-totally-losing-it support he's become complacent in expecting. yes, he made a giant mistake in reacting the way he did, out of pure fear in a way that screams regression. both for himself, and for his impressionable audience who don't need to internalise any more negativity and shame on these matters. i wish that phil could've viewed events through an audience's eyes, and maybe even through dan's, and done that video on his own. some of the things he said would've been groundbreaking on the Amazing Phil channel standing alone, and we'd be praising and excited just as much, but without the added discomfort of watching dan be kind of Not Okay. furthermore, i think it's important for dan to get himself out of his own holes. not completely alone, it's near impossible for anyone who experiences levels of depression that he does (and I don't feel like i'm armchair-ing - he said himself at 0.50 he is 'very depressed', and that he's having a quarter life crisis, these statements were not framed as being in the past). just kept away as much as possible from making far-reaching statements and content in the way he has this week, so easy and so easily damaging as his job as a public persona allows. his fears about his content and his career have become entangled, yet again, in his sexuality, and this cannot feel anything less than painful and shit. it's hurting others too, though, and that's not okay. he's a grown ass man and phil is not responsible for him, (nor is dan's therapist, his family, his friends, or his audience), but i can't support phil's best intentions if they cause further damage (in my eyes).

so yeah, i'm all for a step away and re-grouping rather than trying to smooth over things that cannot yet be smoothed. there's nothing like a depressive episode to gather steam into a bigger and bigger snowball and flatten all the good out of things, and they need to be in their best frame of minds to get through this busy year. and to demonstrate the work dan has done with his charities by being the best versions of themselves on tour, for people who for better or worse, idolise them.

edit: for stupid typos
art in avatar by lily
Amiaw
interactive introvert

EDIT: @Amiaw I actually did not know that? Can you (or someone) explain to me how to see what they're listening to on spotify btw? I'd love to creep on what dan is listening to i love his music taste
I think you need Premium but you just look up their names in search and when you click on their profile it will show recently listened. Phil's looks like this

obsessivelymoody
emo goose

mermaid blood wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:11 am
i'm gonna defy phandom flip-narrative and say i'm not totally stoked on either of their actions, right now, lol.

the majority enjoyed the AP video, and ultimately that's what matters; because i saw the genuinely hurt and confused people yesterday who felt shamed for cheering on openness and queer content. additionally i felt irritated at all the 'did he just come out??' i saw on tumblr briefly, as a queer person myself. all of these various reactions are totally justified, and all ends of the spectrum of reactions are to be expected, so i reel back at seeing others trying to sway the discourse with 'i wish' statements regarding other fans. (even though that is *literally* what dan did, yesterday).

the reason i didn't enjoy phil's video is what people above me have already pointed out - i personally don't think dan was ready, and i think phil was erroneous in encouraging him to make this video with him so soon, despite his very best intentions. what we got was phil being an absolute, carefree delight, and dan being very open in one or two instances ('up my ass'), but almost aggressively so; and cagey and dismissive the whole rest of the time. that does not benefit them, or us. when was the last time (or, ever?) you heard him minimising and acting shamed over furry content? the rest of theme of the video in fact, was shame. for the 'weird' non-sexual stuff, granted, but also for the sexual stuff in a way that left a bad taste in my mouth. yes, they were framed as jokes. but you could apply that to most things, and humorous delivery does not negate impact for every one.

dan is not in his best frame of mind at the moment. i got that sense from the first minute of the dinof video last week, before i even got to the blowjob joke. him speaking just reminded me so heavily of myself in a depressive episode, or just coming out of a bad one, struggling to stay above water and focus on the things that still make me feel okay. his message, about focusing on those things before you can focus on your other needs, was beautiful. i can't fault him for that. but that mindset, which is really heavy, coupled with including something that has perhaps been the most difficult thing he's ever gone through in his career (and continues to be, no matter the progress and enjoyment we witness these days), was just a recipe for a relapse of fear. i actually think dan's biggest fear regarding his content and career may be tied heavily to his self-esteem issues; he's demonstrated fear over not being good enough, not being popular or consumed for any reason other than being: a) pretty b) being a man who likes other men, or to a lesser extent, c) making trendy, sarcastic memey I'm JoeKing jokes. a core fanbase has demonstrated that this is not the case, they've stuck by him through shitstorms and through his changing looks (as in, he's still gorgeous, but not in the baby twink way when he came on the scene), read between all his lines, allowed him to fuck up and perceived him through a queer narrative, however difficult, taken him seriously even when he's not been able to ask for that through his defensive joking, and mourned when he announced less liveshows, his most honest and intimate format.

to my eyes, that is where the pretentiousness and the wanting to control his audience comes from. i suspect there was shock, that turned into disappointed when it triggered past memories, when his core audience reacted in the way they did yesterday, focusing on the thing he feels most anxious about instead of giving him our more lowkey, wink-wink-nudge-nudge, proud-but-not-totally-losing-it support he's become complacent in expecting. yes, he made a giant mistake in reacting the way he did, out of pure fear in a way that screams regression. both for himself, and for his impressionable audience who don't need to internalise any more negativity and shame on these matters. i wish that phil could've viewed events through an audience's eyes, and maybe even through dan's, and done that video on his own. some of the things he said would've been groundbreaking on the Amazing Phil channel standing alone, and we'd be praising and excited just as much, but without the added discomfort of watching dan be kind of Not Okay. furthermore, i think it's important for dan to get himself out of his own holes. not completely alone, it's near impossible for anyone experience levels of depression that he does (and I don't feel like i'm armchair-ing - he said himself at 0.50 he is 'very depressed', and that he's having a quarter life crisis, these statements were not framed as being in the past). just kept away as much as possible from making far-reaching statements and content in the way he has this week, so easy and so easily damaging as his job as a public persona allows. his fears about his content and his career have become entangled, yet again, in his sexuality, and this cannot feel anything less than painful and shit. it's hurting others too, though, and that's not okay. he's a grown ass man and phil is not responsible for him, (nor is dan's therapist, his family, his friends, or his audience), but i can't support phil's best intentions if they cause further damage (in my eyes).

so yeah, i'm all for a step away and re-grouping rather than trying to smooth over things that cannot yet be smoothed. there's nothing like a depressive episode to gather steam into a bigger and bigger snowball and flatten all the good out of things, and they need to be in their best frame of minds to get through this busy year. and to demonstrate the work dan has done with his charities by being the best versions of themselves on tour, for people who for better or worse, idolise them.
It's posts like this that makes me desperate crave a like button because this was wonderfully articulated (and I hate pointlessly adding to posts to be nice haha) and I have to agree completely. While I enjoyed Phil's video, I don't think I'll be rewatching it again or at least any time soon, considering the context.

on a less interesting and serious note, I think the red thing by the cactus candle in the background of Phil's video is an m&m figure. also I found the cannabis thing funny because it immediately made me think about the time I clicked on a video of a guy using one of those big American cheeseball tubs still full of balls as a bong because it confused the hell out of me for a second, and then my entire explore feed was weed for months (and I don't even smoke lol). Tbh while I'm all for the idea of deps blazing, the idea of Phil clicking on something random out of curiosity and being targeted for it later amuses me.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Just quickly jumping in here to say the Cannabis timelapse was pretty popular on reddit one of the last days (don't quite remember the subreddit, maybe oddlysatisfying or mildlyinteresting). It's just a viral thing that shows up in a lot of young people's explore pages.
Vee
not a first-time poster

ratlad wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:11 am
sonicgreen wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 am

ohh that makes sense, thanks!
i wonder if the red thing is another mini plant candle?

It's a fire flower or pirhanna plant from Mario, might be an amiibo.
Either this: Image or this Image