Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
peekatyou
drama llama

Love reading your guys thoughts on everything that's been happening lately. Let me throw in my opinion real quick. I didn't like the latest Dan video, I didn't learn anything new and I didn't appreciate the joke about eating ass. I think it's only fine to randomly joke about how you like to EaT tHaT aSs lolz if you're under 14, but if you're a bit older than that - that's kinda lame. You may argue he wasn't joking... I don't know, Dan won't tell. I'll watch the new video on Phil's channel when I'm less annoyed with Dan (still love him, he's been there with me through some tough times - not physically, but you know), as of now not even that earring can make me click on the video. But I'm slowly cooling down.

top of the page fml...
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

flurry wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:25 pm katka I accept your views of course but I also want to point out that none of the things mentioned by the other poster I quoted were strictly conjectures - they're things that viewers can see ie. Not uploading frequently for instance. So yes we of course don't know the struggles he has daily, but does that excuse a constantly occasional (hah) upload schedule when it's literally his job?
I mean, like I said in my original post: He is doing his job. The Daniel Howell channel is not his only project and they're regularly uploading to the gaming channel and put a lot of work into that, Dan is working on the tour, he's working with mental health organisations etc... He is doing his job. To be honest, I'd rather have no videos on the main channel than videos he's not happy with or that cause him to do a liveshow like the recent one that causes more drama than it makes anyone happy. If he went completely MIA, I might agree with you, but he's not. He's working. He's just not concentrating on the main channel right now and I think that's okay. I get where you're coming from though and I used to think like that too but just stop for a moment and think of all the projects Dan has been a part of lately plus the gaming channel. Is he really not doing his job? I wouldn't say so.

As salty as I am about what Dan pulled the last few days, I just don't think he's bad at his job or not doing it. He fucked up, sure, but he knows what he's doing and he's good at it. I think he's in a place where he's just not sure where to take his career and that's something that makes creative jobs like Dan's so different from normal jobs. You don't have a boss to tell you what to do and whilst having full control over what you do and when is great, it also comes with a lot of responsibility because you're the one who needs to decide what to do, how to do it and how to sell it to your "customers", the audience in Dan's case. And when you're your own boss, being dissatisfied with your own work feels even worse because you can't blame it on anyone else (even though Dan's trying to blame it on us and that's what I'm so mad about...)So I understand what Dan's probably struggling with lately and I hope he gets through it soon.
whyamievenstillhere
smol bean

Hello. I’m the person who posts once in like two months. Much like Dan’s content. And oh god, the past week has been a rollercoaster. And I wanted to share my thoughts. The thing about Dan is, the moment you think you understand him, he does something that makes you think nah I don’t know that guy. I love him. Still. But sometimes I also hate him.
1. I found it exceptionally rude that after saying in an interview recently that their audience is very smart and they’d know if they made a product just for money and not genuinely, he decides to go ahead and say some people thought penis and that’s fine, that’s funny actually. Hahaha. AGGHHG. Like you’re trying to tell me Dan, a really smart guy considering the massive audience he has amassed and the brilliant business empire he has with Phil, really thought “something” was just a less crude version of any genitalia and not penis? Like Dan no one is that thick. So what really was his intention if not backtracking by showing the ass clip?
2. He was for such a long time open about liking boys and girls alike. And that was nice. And honestly I’m sure most of the phandom was okay with that. No actual coming out but slowly being true to themselves. Which is fine really. Because coming out is a personal matter and it’s not a compulsory thing. But then again his backtracking reminds me of that angry tumblr he made to talk down to fans back in 2012-13 and the “fyi I like vagina” tweet. Only this time handling it much better than a full on outburst. Just slyly mentioning haha my audience is funny to think like that.
3. Even if we ignore the “something else in my mouth” he did say things that come in and out of my mouth and oral fixation. So he knew what he was doing. So why the backtrack?
4. Despite all of that I still like the rest of the meaning of the video. Maybe he could’ve made the whole thing by just saying sex and leaving it at that and not using the words mouth, oral fixation and something at all. It would’ve still made the hype because the only person he does spend maximum time is phil and he wouldn’t even have to confirm to it.
5. The other thing I thought was he very deliberately did the ls so close to the video, because he felt like needed damage control and even had the other clip loaded on his laptop. He could’ve let some time pass and let the hype die down and be somewhat forgotten before he did it. But it seemed his intention was to backtrack.
6. Phil’s video was cute. I did think there was some damage control in Phil’s teasing Dan about the fit shirtless men on his insta. But idk. It could be just genuine. Maybe the timing of Phil’s video was wrong. I find it hard to think Phil’s not genuine. Even though sometimes I think Phil is more private than Dan, he’s more genuine than Dan as well. And recently I feel Phil’s becoming less and less private by the casual mentioning of men he finds nice.
Lastly again I want to say I still love Dan. Been watching them for 6 years almost and they were one of my ways to deal with anxiety and depression that came with Uni. So yeah. Still gonna watch Dan just after I stop feeling so salty about him.
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

hello9217 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:25 pm Breaking from all this to say that this tweet is cute
:ribena: What a nice tweet.

As far as Dan and his job goes, to me he isn’t bad at it, but he’s not great at it either. Same goes for Phil. There are people on youtube who have a full-time job and still upload 3 to 4 videos a week, so really there is no excuse. Even if Deppy are always working on something else, that really shouldn't mean that we might get one or two main vids every month (if we even get that).
I like Dan's content for the most part (though for both of them I prefer their gaming channel these days), but I wouldn't call is amazing or special either. :shrug:
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

im not going to even bother to get involved with the drama from dans last video bc im not good with words but.

phil's new video. i liked it. it was cute and short, but enjoyable. the furry part at the end cracked me up!
:transheart:
myselfandI
phillion/danosaur <//3

I have to say I think the audience is also at fault in this case, I knew the moment people started focusing on the bj joke something like that would happen (Dan backtracking or getting annoyed by it).

I also really dislike Dan and Phil tendency to avoid fandom drama when it could easily be deal with by them just being honest and don't patronize the whole fandom.

I haven't watched Phil's video, to be honest I haven't watched most of deepy videos this year, I cant even recall the last thing I watched from them, I'm just not really that invested in the gaming channel, I don't like most of Dan's and while Phil's videos can be enjoyable they are not something I want watch all the time.

I think the phandom is really the only thing keeping me linked to them. Also, I do like Dan and Phil as people, so there's that.

Happy women's day everybody! Keep the bants on. <3
Don't come to Brasil, pay us to come to your country instead :thumb:
fancybum
senpai

myselfandI wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:50 pm I also really dislike Dan and Phil tendency to avoid fandom drama when it could easily be deal with by them just being honest and don't patronize the whole fandom.
Honest about what?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
ratlad
angel bean

i go on tumblr and people are talking about how ppl are apparently angry that Dan isn't tweeting about international women's day and i.... just. why. it's understandable to be upset with him, but don't get upset with everything else he does because it literally is not a problem. it's so easy to hate others. I don't get it.
(posting this knowing that i literally just said I don't want drama lol)
on a positive note: i love the Lester's and Phil loves his mom so much i just ): makes my heart sing im so glad he has a loving family ):
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil's tweet about International Women's Day is sweet and I know he meant well, but tbh guys who 'celebrate' this day but appreciating their mother for raising them are really missing the point. It's not a holiday and celebrating your mum is what Mother's Day is for. I know that he keeps his tweets as lighthearted as possible but surely there are ways to do that and say something that at least acknowledges more important things. Oh well, at least this year he didn't just share a Buffy gif. Progress :thumb:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Philena
blobfish

ratlad wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 pm i go on tumblr and people are talking about how ppl are apparently angry that Dan isn't tweeting about international women's day and i.... just. why. it's understandable to be upset with him, but don't get upset with everything else he does because it literally is not a problem. it's so easy to hate others. I don't get it.
on a positive note: i love the Lester's and Phil loves his mom so much i just ): makes my heart sing im so glad he has a loving family ):
Well, he took care of that problem by recycling last year's tweet :rofl:
scientia
phabergé

Philena wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 pm
ratlad wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 pm i go on tumblr and people are talking about how ppl are apparently angry that Dan isn't tweeting about international women's day and i.... just. why. it's understandable to be upset with him, but don't get upset with everything else he does because it literally is not a problem. it's so easy to hate others. I don't get it.
Well, he took care of that problem by recycling last year's tweet :rofl:
Wow, has Dan ever retweeted himself on something like this before? I always find his posts on days like today (London gay pride, voting days, etc.) really thoughtful/funny/cynical, so I look forward to them. Maybe I’ve missed it but it does seem out of the norm for him. I bet they’re super busy with your stuff and he didn’t want to miss saying something
Amiaw
interactive introvert

The true tragedy/irony of this thread is that we’ve had very little laughter these last few days.

I do hope Dan is doing okay. He may be busy and if he’s not it’s still okay to retweet something but hopefully we all find a way to get to a good place.
hello9217
flower crown

If anything I hope first and foremost that Dan is okay, which I am sure he is considering he was able to do that video with Phil yesterday, but also that he realizes he did mess up and hurt a lot of people. I don't really know if before, like after Bahamas and week in March, if the damage was this bad so I'm not sure if he may finally understand that he has to be careful with how he words things or if we are just doomed to repeat the cycle again.
fancybum
senpai

Maybe he didn’t want to write a new tweet because it would just be one more thing for everybody to criticize for doing wrong loooool
Philena
blobfish

fancybum wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm Maybe he didn’t want to write a new tweet because it would just be one more thing for everybody to criticize for doing wrong loooool
That was my exact thought. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I was thinking that best case scenario he wanted to tweet and thought that he already said it well last year so he just retweeted.

The bad side of me is saying that worst case dan is still feeling passive aggressive.

Idk. I don’t know his thought processes. I want him to be happy and I want us all to be happy and maybe someday we will succeed

until then I just have to say that I’m bitter that we didn’t get a liveshow today. Mostly because I love and always miss Phil but also because i ate some gross candy because I didn’t have his opinions. When it starts affecting my life like this I don’t know how to cope.
applegrass
dank meme

I've always wanted to ask, and now it seems like a right time, as it was mentioned a few times on the previous page.

Why does everybody hate The Memeing Of Life?

I don't remember anything specifically repulsive about it. On the contrary, I remember agreeing with his point about appreciating the weird period of human history we all live in and not regretting "being born too late/too early".
fancybum
senpai

applegrass wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 pm I've always wanted to ask, and now it seems like a right time, as it was mentioned a few times on the previous page.

I don't remember anything specifically repulsive about it. On the contrary, I remember agreeing with his point about appreciating the weird period of human history we all live in and not regretting "being born too late/too early".
Because something something he’s uneducated or something something pretentious is what I remember of that whole thing. I think it was in the same realm of complaints about this one in that people didn’t think he put across whatever he was trying to say (or possibly what they think he was trying to say) clearly enough and also fuck him because he doesn’t have a philosophy degree? You could always go read back the reactions from when it was uploaded.

I liked it :shrug:
sirens-in-distance
not a first-time poster

fancybum wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 pm
applegrass wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 pm I've always wanted to ask, and now it seems like a right time, as it was mentioned a few times on the previous page.

Because something something he’s uneducated or something something pretentious is what I remember of that whole thing. I think it was in the same realm of complaints about this one in that people didn’t think he put across whatever he was trying to say (or possibly what they think he was trying to say) clearly enough and also fuck him because he doesn’t have a philosophy degree? You could always go read back the reactions from when it was uploaded.

I liked it :shrug:
there was so much interesting talk about the memeing of life video and summing it up as complaints of him being uneducated or pretentious is so misleading. i think the best way to understand the arguments is to go back to the threads of the time of the release of the video. but basically, after the release of the video people argued about the lack of quality of the video in terms of structure and also in terms of content. there were complaints about the lack of cohesion, the lack of sketches on one hand and on the other a general critique of why the general point of the video didn’t really make much sense especially when you look with it through the eyes of people that are not as privileged as dan. basically i agree with all those arguments and it really bothers me whenever people say that the ones who complain about dan’s videos are only/basically saying he is too pretentious or doesn’t educate himself perfectly or etc. actually, people who talked about the video were mostly supportive of dan trying to branch out and really generally like him as a person. we merely find it important and engaging to talk about his videos, point out their flaws and analyse them critically.
Last edited by sirens-in-distance on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
phillyforgot
butt chair

I appreciated Phil's tweet. I thought it was thoughtful and I smiled at the mention of his mother. It was really sweet of him to tweet something on International Woman's Day and I'm glad he did. :love1:

Can't really say much about Dan's, considering he's been retweeting last year's tweet. :shrug:
myselfandI
phillion/danosaur <//3

fancybum wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 pm
myselfandI wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:50 pm I also really dislike Dan and Phil tendency to avoid fandom drama when it could easily be deal with by them just being honest and don't patronize the whole fandom.
Honest about what?
Honest about how they feel about certain aspects of the fandom, for example, if they just told people off for stalking them instead of walking around the subject, seems like much of phandom drama could be stopped if deepy were more straightfoward about it.
autumnhearth
senpai

Re: The Memeing of Life. I just didn’t get it at the time (still don’t really if I’m honest), I thought I missed the point, but apparently the point was to be like a shit post, according to Dan. I also just didn’t like his way of speaking in it, but it might have been an intentional fake deep philosophical act. Idk.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratlad
angel bean

i think people are reading too much into it. let's say if dan is having a gloomy day, i would avoid social media all together. when I'm at a low point in my depression, I don't have the brain capacity for creativity or saying anything really, so maybe he just got phil to go on his account and retweet it for him?
or because he wanted to retweet it because he still stands by the same statement? everything is probably fine, if dan is upset then phil will take care of him and play with his hair while he has a shame-nap.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
myselfandI
phillion/danosaur <//3

ratlad wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 pm i think people are reading too much into it. let's say if dan is having a gloomy day, i would avoid social media all together. when I'm at a low point in my depression, I don't have the brain capacity for creativity or saying anything really, so maybe he just got phil to go on his account and retweet it for him?
or because he wanted to retweet it because he still stands by the same statement? everything is probably fine, if dan is upset then phil will take care of him and play with his hair while he has a shame-nap.
Agreed.

As someone with social anxiety and depression, sometimes I just don't feel like interacting, funny thing is today is one of these days, I wasn't feeling it then I just reblogged a old post of mine on facebook to not let the date pass by.
moaninglisa
drama llama

myselfandI wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:36 pm
fancybum wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 pm
Honest about what?
Honest about how they feel about certain aspects of the fandom, for example, if they just told people off for stalking them instead of walking around the subject, seems like much of phandom drama could be stopped if deepy were more straightfoward about it.
there's no way they'll do that. even if they're 100% in the right, i know they'll get shit for it somehow. people will be like 'you're alienating your fanbase! we're the reason you breathe!!1 how dare you!' just look at this weeks drama, dan just wanted to clear some things up and people got mad at him so i can't even image how people would react if they started addressing phandom drama and telling people off if necessary.