Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Phantasy
woodland creature

I think Dan’s apparel as a side venture makes total sense... I mean most of D&P merch is a compromise/ blend of their individual aesthetics that relates to their brand, but isn’t really 100% Dan or Phil—actually, most tend to favor Phil’s style/aesthetic over Dan’s. So, instead of carving out a Dan’s Corner in the existing shop, why not have it as a separate entity (obviously still under IRL umbrella)? Dan can experiment with his fashion passion and apply his edgelord sensibilities without disrupting (or feeling like a tack-on to) the D&P space. And let’s not forget, for the past few years they’ve been leaning hard into the Phan brand with their book, tour, and channel content, and comparing that with 2012-2013 Dan who scoffed indignantly every chance he got when talking about him and Phil as anything but 2 platonic bros who share a flat out of economy and convenience and aren’t a duo act, they just sometimes colab blah blah blah. For as frustrating as Dan can be sometimes, he’s come a LONG way since then. I say good for him for going after a bit of individual expression.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

SquishPhan wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 pm I enjoyed it, made me laugh a few times.
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:30 pm
liola wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:17 pmInteresting comment "i'm celibate now" after Phil says some sex related stuff, I can't focus on timestamps but it made me raise my eyebrow. He's circling back to that humour uh
The celibate line is actually one of the parts of the video that made me laugh. It felt like a very relatable put upon boyfriend moment - when your partner says or does something so much a turn off that your response is to say that you're not going to have sex with them anymore.
That's how I see it too.

Phil's mention of a boyfriend and girlfriend during the love triangle part was nice too.
That's an odd interpretation to me. I didn't interpret what he said like that at all. I just replayed the video, the comment starts at 6:23. Phil is talking about the girl depicted in the wikihow picture, referring to her as "she". To me the most straightforward interpretation of the celibacy comment is that Dan is responding to the idea of a girl talking dirty about knee caps in mud, as some kind of strange fetish. They also start playing some music when Phil describes the scenario. Nothing in there points to the fact that Dan really is talking about how he's not going to have sex anymore with his boyfriend Phil :shrug: ?

Phil : "I think she's talking dirty. She's like 'yeah, show me those knee caps, they're covered in mud'
Dan: "I just became celibate"

Other thoughts about the video:
-Dan looks a bit sad to me on the thumbnail. Vaguely irritated and almost as if he's an unwanted posterboy for the game. Which would fit with the title and theme of the vid :mrgreen: Honestly i hope he's just acting a bit there and that it doesn't reflect his general sentiment. Because if it is I don't think think it's by default related to anything that might have been said by some fans in the slipstream of his livestream, but i'd fear it's just the best he can manage at trying to function "like normal" on film. Really hard to say what is genuine emotion and what is acting though. In the video he says at some point himself that he's "trying to be aloof and sarcastic here". He did give off that vibe, so if he was intending that he pulled it off well.
-Typical D&P to lower the goal of wanting to answer a 5 pictures in a row correctly, to 3, to "we need to guess the next one or we're going to hell" to lucking out on 2 in a row and claim it as a big victory :mrgreen:
- waddup with all the hitting on strangers. First Zayn/gigi, now celibacy and love triangles. Is this their way of trying to say they are single and ready to mingle :ribena: ?

Also the different site name for Dan merch is interesting. Is this just clever or consistent marketing? You buy merch of one of them instead of both of them together, so it makes sense to do it on a different site? So they could also more freely brand their stuff and give it more of a "face" then when it was all presented on the "shared brand" on the regular site?
Or is there something more substantial behind it? Like are they actually using seperate companies for this, and are profits no shared for the personal merchandise? Guess we'll have to find out through the official public business register ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom
Pronouns: she/her

Stakhanov wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 am That's an odd interpretation to me. I didn't interpret what he said like that at all. I just replayed the video, the comment starts at 6:23. Phil is talking about the girl depicted in the wikihow picture, referring to her as "she". To me the most straightforward interpretation of the celibacy comment is that Dan is responding to the idea of a girl talking dirty about knee caps in mud, as some kind of strange fetish. They also start playing some music when Phil describes the scenario. Nothing in there points to the fact that Dan really is talking about how he's not going to have sex anymore with his boyfriend Phil :shrug: ?

Phil : "I think she's talking dirty. She's like 'yeah, show me those knee caps, they're covered in mud'
Not that it really matters at all (you can tell I'm procrastinating writing an essay lmao), but I interpreted this moment as Dan reacting as himself to what Phil said. So when Phil said in a suggestive voice "yeah, show me those knee caps, they're covered in mud" (obviously, pretending to be the girl, I know), Dan reacts as himself, disturbed and uncomfortable at what Phil said (playing it up for the camera a bit prob), and says "I just became celibate".

I interpreted that as in reference to himself (Dan was never acting as the girl), so he responds that Phil's comment was so gross it put him off sex. As someone who believes they're together, it follows for me that he meant "- with Phil", but I respect that it could just be in general. And that was deeper than it ever needed to be, I should go back to justifying why I'm going to use visual discourse analysis in my Honours thesis, bye.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Stakhanov wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 am Also the different site name for Dan merch is interesting. Is this just clever or consistent marketing? You buy merch of one of them instead of both of them together, so it makes sense to do it on a different site? So they could also more freely brand their stuff and give it more of a "face" then when it was all presented on the "shared brand" on the regular site?
Or is there something more substantial behind it? Like are they actually using seperate companies for this, and are profits no shared for the personal merchandise? Guess we'll have to find out through the official public business register ;)
I’m not sure if you’re suggesting that it’s not irl digital or something else in the bolded, but when you sign up for the newsletter, it redirects you to a page that has irl digital’s name and address on it. While dan may get majority of profits off his own merch, it is still owned by their company that him, phil and martyn all have a share in.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

Secretstanner wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 pm
ratlad wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:13 pm
phillyforgot wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:58 pm I enjoyed the video, but I was confused about why there was only Dan on the thumbnail. That seems to be an unusual design choice. Usually it's both of them, but maybe Phil's trying to experiment with new style ideas, we don't know. :bbb:
Dan Bout To Die So Phil Wanted Him To Be Happy And Show His Gorgeous Boyfriend To The World
You know your rpdr trash when all I read that as “ chad about to die so ru probably wanted him to be happy” :rofl:
lmao I'm so glad someone got the reference
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
ratlad
angel bean

like i said last week, im looking forward to how Dan's new merch would look like
but the fact that people are seriously thinking it's the end of phan as we know it, makes me want to throw my eyeballs into the sun.
I'm extremely happy for him!!!!! as a lot of other people are too!!!! but can we not turn everything into negativity? i just want socks and boxers tbh.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I have never bought any of the dnp wearable merch (too colorful and young for my taste) but if dan does anything like nathan zedd (who’s shirt im wearing rn? totally not my favorite new tee) then im on board. I’m not one for the overly branded tee shirts, but if this is anything like dan’s love of band merch that mixes art with clothing then sign me up. Excited to see where dan’s ventures land him. (unless its any japanese #edgy shit that they pulled for the blossom merch... :roll:)

One of the first thoughts i had was, “wow that was fast”. He expressed to US this idea only two weeks ago- so i’m assuming he either already has something in the works, or he just set up the website to hype for potential merch in the future.
starwatersong
phabergé

sonicgreen wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:40 am I have never bought any of the dnp wearable merch (too colorful and young for my taste)
+1

Would love to see something style and size-inclusive. Looking forward to Dan branching out to try new things.
malday
emo goose

captainspacecoat wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 am
Stakhanov wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 am That's an odd interpretation to me. I didn't interpret what he said like that at all. I just replayed the video, the comment starts at 6:23. Phil is talking about the girl depicted in the wikihow picture, referring to her as "she". To me the most straightforward interpretation of the celibacy comment is that Dan is responding to the idea of a girl talking dirty about knee caps in mud, as some kind of strange fetish. They also start playing some music when Phil describes the scenario. Nothing in there points to the fact that Dan really is talking about how he's not going to have sex anymore with his boyfriend Phil :shrug: ?

Not that it really matters at all (you can tell I'm procrastinating writing an essay lmao), but I interpreted this moment as Dan reacting as himself to what Phil said. So when Phil said in a suggestive voice "yeah, show me those knee caps, they're covered in mud" (obviously, pretending to be the girl, I know), Dan reacts as himself, disturbed and uncomfortable at what Phil said (playing it up for the camera a bit prob), and says "I just became celibate".

I interpreted that as in reference to himself (Dan was never acting as the girl), so he responds that Phil's comment was so gross it put him off sex. As someone who believes they're together, it follows for me that he meant "- with Phil", but I respect that it could just be in general. And that was deeper than it ever needed to be, I should go back to justifying why I'm going to use visual discourse analysis in my Honours thesis, bye.
To me it was as simple as Phil was doing crappy dirty talk and Dan was acting put off by Phil's crappy dirty talk. It was in the same vein like when he told Phil he never wanted to hear him use that voice again, in a liveshow.

But Dan probably has an outtake video ready to show he actually meant to say "i just became halibut" because he likes fish.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

very excited for solo dan merch as long as it doesn't have his face or name really obviously on it.

also very Tired of tumblr and everyone thinking that solo dan merch means the end of dan and phil. i've even got friends in a gc saying they think dan dan and phil are 'growing up and apart' and going to end the duo branding. why is this everyone's first thought? they've had solo channels the whole time, solo merch in the past, updated solo merch makes sense and it's another form of revenue for them. they're about to spend like half a year together on tour pushing their joint branding. they're allowed to be individual people who do individual things while still being dan and phil. i just don't get why everyone is getting so #phandivorce over this. i was excited about the merch and then i went on tumblr and it was just a shitshow. it's tiring.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

malday wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 amBut Dan probably has an outtake video ready to show he actually meant to say "i just became halibut" because he likes fish.
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

I have a good feeling with the Dan merch -- i generally like Dan's aesthetic, although it doesn't completely align w my own, i think it could still fit into my wardrobe. I think it's pretty likely I'll get something from him once he launches, as long as a couple things i'm nervous about don't turn out being true:

1. I hope the prices are reasonable. We all know Dan has no problem justifying pricier clothing in his own wardrobe. I hope he takes his fan's budgets into consideration with this (not just saying he would make it expensive for no reason, but maybe use more expensive material or something that would in turn make the retail prices go up),

2. I hope its not mainly just oversized jumpers/hoodies, as again that's what i see in Dan's own clothing choices. I am one thicc bih, and while I may love my body, I don't love clothing that hides my curves. Basically saying i hope that Dan takes all body types into consideration -- and actually as I'm typing this I'm remembering when he talked about this in the liveshow he said he's going to have some friends model the clothes for pics on the website so he could include people that didn't just like like him -- so chances are looking good. :tu:
(ps i know nothing about making websites or anything but i find it interesting that their joint merch site is "danandphilshop.com" but dan's solo is "shop.danielhowell.com" Does this imply that at some point there might just be a "danielhowell.com"? I tried typing just that into the the address bar and it redirected to the newsletter signup. Maybe having his own website is an addition to the reclaiming their own identies trend -- not in a "phan divorce" way but in a "they are individuals even if they do a lot of stuff together" way. Or maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about :lol: )
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

KatjaZoe wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 am
(ps i know nothing about making websites or anything but i find it interesting that their joint merch site is "danandphilshop.com" but dan's solo is "shop.danielhowell.com" Does this imply that at some point there might just be a "danielhowell.com"? I tried typing just that into the the address bar and it redirected to the newsletter signup. Maybe having his own website is an addition to the reclaiming their own identies trend -- not in a "phan divorce" way but in a "they are individuals even if they do a lot of stuff together" way. Or maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about :lol: )
I think having 'shop' attached to the url makes more sense and is less confusing than just his name as the store's url, which implies that there's something more to the website than just a merch shop. I also think that having the danielhowell link redirect to the shop makes it easier for someone typing in the url if they forget the 'shop' bit at the front, plus it's easier to say quickly in a video. While it's possible that Dan could make his own full website with the shop link attached to it, I think at this point it's more likely that he's claiming his name as a url before someone else does and wrecks whatever potential brand consistency he's looking for.
hello9217
flower crown

Obviously will have to wait and see but I feel like Dan is going to try and channel Conor Franta and do stuff like common culture. I'm kind of interested to see how Dan talks about this since he really doesn't seem to enjoy doing a #spon, hence why he and Phil worked well with each other. Will Phil do a liveshow and act as not only the supportive bf but also keep the reigning title of king of spon?
Also I'm curious as to why he chose now to do this. He's apparently been talking about solo merch since 2016 and I feel like last year after he rebranded would have been a much better time since the tour is coming up soon but hey what do I know?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

hello9217 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:47 am Also I'm curious as to why he chose now to do this. He's apparently been talking about solo merch since 2016 and I feel like last year after he rebranded would have been a much better time since the tour is coming up soon but hey what do I know?
If I had to guess I'd say tour is exactly why he chose this timing - putting it out in the next few weeks means it'll be right there on that merch table along with all their other stuff show after show. (I also said this on tumblr already, but following the same logic I predict we'll see solo Phil merch within the next month.)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

malday wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 am But Dan probably has an outtake video ready to show he actually meant to say "i just became halibut" because he likes fish.
kavat
pastel persona

sadshrew wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 pm I'm married and I do not have any merch with my partner and we are not divorcing.
:rofl:

I'm excited about the merch. I like his current style, both in clothing and in ~branding~ so I'll probably find something I like. The only merch I have from them is a Euro tatinof shirt that I bought mostly as a souvenir and use as a pyjama shirt, all the other stuff is really not my taste.

I love buying merch as a way of supporting a creator. I have stuff from Nathan, Dean, Dodie, Grace Helbig and just bought Mitchell Davis Matter shirt.

As long as it's not Japanese themed in some way, that's a big no.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

confusedpanda wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:41 am
Stakhanov wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 am Also the different site name for Dan merch is interesting. Is this just clever or consistent marketing? You buy merch of one of them instead of both of them together, so it makes sense to do it on a different site? So they could also more freely brand their stuff and give it more of a "face" then when it was all presented on the "shared brand" on the regular site?
I’m not sure if you’re suggesting that it’s not irl digital or something else in the bolded, but when you sign up for the newsletter, it redirects you to a page that has irl digital’s name and address on it. While dan may get majority of profits off his own merch, it is still owned by their company that him, phil and martyn all have a share in.
Good to know, I didn't sign up for the newsletter (fake fan) but the role of IRL digital in the launch of this merch was one of the things i was wondering about yes.
The more I read about it the more it looks as just a way to sell more T-shirts in total. With maybe a smidgen of trying to reclaim their separate branding identity as Katjazoe mentions. But nothing that requires a divorce lawyer :mrgreen:
There's only one true Dan site i'm aware of and he already made a video about it. I would love to see Dan update that site though. Do you think he'd be waiting in the chatroom, hoping for friends and randoms to start a conversation with as his 14-yo self did :lol: :love1: :number1:

It's funny (and sometimes exhausting) how the smallest of things always start leading their own life in this fandom. I'm already looking forward (and dreading) the !scandals, #whatevergate and 'respectful stalking' that will start when the touring starts ;)
dancy
procrastinator

I'm excited about Dan's merch! I'm considering buying it if it's nice and not out of my price range and like I've said before, I'm hoping for something subtle (unlike most of D&P's current wearables) that he would actually wear himself. Though I don't think that just because Dan is releasing his own merch, Phil will do so as well but I wouldn't mind some bright coloured tops either (or socks, can't have enough of those).

While I don't feel worried at all, I do understand why others may feel that way since I think this whole solo merch thing kinda came out of nowhere when Dan mentioned it at the end of his live show and D&P have been doing so many things together for years now. I don't think it's the end of joint merch or the Dan and Phil brand though because isn't there going to be tour merch soon as well?

Also, I saw Dan liked this tweet and thought it was quite funny :lol:
applegrass
dank meme

dancy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:28 pm Though I don't think that just because Dan is releasing his own merch, Phil will do so as well but I wouldn't mind some bright coloured tops either (or socks, can't have enough of those).
I don't buy their merch, but I would definitely make an exception for a pair or two of bright, probably not matching socks by Phil! Now I really want this to happen.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

dancy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:28 pm Also, I saw Dan liked this tweet and thought it was quite funny :lol:
I get it now! Dan was only looking at Phil in a business context. Clear. :ribena:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
ratlad
angel bean

Catallena wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:46 pm
dancy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:28 pm Also, I saw Dan liked this tweet and thought it was quite funny :lol:
I get it now! Dan was only looking at Phil in a business context. Clear. :ribena:
oh, didn't you know that he only lives with Phil because it's convenient living with another YouTuber?
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

malday wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 amBut Dan probably has an outtake video ready to show he actually meant to say "i just became halibut" because he likes fish.
Thanks for the laugh! (But seriously, the celibacy thing was so clearly just a throwaway joke, can we maybe chill...)

On one hand I'm so done with the shitty "No one is straight, we're all a little bi" garbage because I've had too many men try and use it on me to convince me I wasn't really gay but that comment is funny.
autumnhearth
senpai

Catallena wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:46 pm
Heart eyes were just seeing dollar signs all along.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

I don't think it's garbage, I think it's an important that cultures gain insight in how homosexuality is part of -rather than antagonistic too- our human nature, and that sexuality could be less clear cut than some would think it is. Even though i'm not sure what to think of this particular finding the title sounds very sensationalist and the fact that it's published in a tabloid like the Daily Mail doesn't bode well for it's actual scientific accuracy.
The very idea that you would want to "convince" somebody they are not really gay is pure garbage ofc and thank god for people like this on twitter to provide the public service of making clear how silly the underlying idea even is of equating looking at men with being lgbtq.

This forum seems to be in full fujoshi mode