Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
bee
phabergé

I don't understand the mass emotions/frustration/etc with Dan's liveshow (in relation to his latest video). :shrug: So I haven't posted a reaction to either here because reading all the frustrated comments here in turn frustrated me because I really don't feel the same, at all.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alien wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm I just realized that Easter and April fools day land on the same day this year...hmmm lol
Omg I had already realized that a long time ago and found it amusing for other reasons, but I hadn't even thought of it in the context of deppy videos until you brought it up. I'm cautiously excited now.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

alien wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm I just realized that Easter and April fools day land on the same day this year...hmmm lol
Oh my word, I hadn't put that together either! I can't even imagine what we're in for this year. :philtrash: :illuminati: :garbage:
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
malday
emo goose

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:15 pm I disagree that dan struggles with his sexuality. I think he struggles with what he wants to share with his audience about his sexuality, but not his sexuality itself.
I agree, and i think it's strongly related to insecurities he has about his career and not knowing what to do next with his life.

To me, his response on younow had a bit of a stubbornness and wanting to do/say the opposite of what he (maybe) felt people expected him to, and not give anyone the benefit of having figured him out.
But he is lucky, and Phil is too, to have devoted fans willing to try to understand and empathize with him and support him at the same time even when they get annoyed and frustrated by what he says/does.
QuiteFriendly
drama llama

bee wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:35 pm I don't understand the mass emotions/frustration/etc with Dan's liveshow (in relation to his latest video). :shrug: So I haven't posted a reaction to either here because reading all the frustrated comments here in turn frustrated me because I really don't feel the same, at all.
Yeah, same.

dia's post saying people seem to agree this time made me decide to share my opinion (for once). And well, I liked the video, the ls didn't offened,
or upset me in anyway.

People's analysises and opinions seem to become truths very quickly which really makes it hard to have some kind of discussion.

I get why people might have felt disappointed, but that's also on them. And I pretty much agree with fancybum
I think that has to go both ways. He can’t control what messages others take away, but by the same token we can’t control what message we want him to be putting out. Everybody can focus on specific parts of what he says all they want (as he himself plainly said) but the second you try to make what he said into something else because it would mean more to you if that’s what it was (yeah I’m really not letting go of the “he admitted to liking blowjobs” = “he just ~came ~out” or even “he’s telling us about his and Phil’s sex life and that’s the only part that matters, period”). Like I don’t fully get what people feel “hurt” by in this whole situation. Annoyed, sure. Exasperated, ok. But “hurt”? Because Dan decided letting everybody cling to one line to use to define him in a way he wasn’t comfortable with (and only fully realized after the fact of putting it out there, whoops) was bothering him more than just letting it rest? Like I don’t think it was that he felt “mad” about people focusing on that one part above all, but more backed into a corner by the way in which they focused on it (by framing it as “proof” of things -that didn’t need the additional “proof” of sexual activity to begin with :sideeye: - or a larger/more specific admission (phanphanphan) beyond ‘hey I enjoy some dick’)

I’m finding it difficult to be sympathetic to the idea that what you want a person to say or do as it pertains to their own life is more important than what they’re actually comfortable with for themselves.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Dan has a new twitter header and went through liking a bunch of the #headerfordan images.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

malday wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:50 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:15 pm I disagree that dan struggles with his sexuality. I think he struggles with what he wants to share with his audience about his sexuality, but not his sexuality itself.
I agree, and i think it's strongly related to insecurities he has about his career and not knowing what to do next with his life.

To me, his response on younow had a bit of a stubbornness and wanting to do/say the opposite of what he (maybe) felt people expected him to, and not give anyone the benefit of having figured him out.
But he is lucky, and Phil is too, to have devoted fans willing to try to understand and empathize with him and support him at the same time even when they get annoyed and frustrated by what he says/does.
Yep I agree with this. I feel like this whole liveshow thing has been beaten to death by now, so sorry if anyone is annoyed with this discussion by now. I think a lot of people already agree with this point so I'm probably preaching to the choir, but I'm still confused about anyone thinking he was offended about the dick joke as its own thing. I think it's pretty clear (and obviously everyone can have different opinions) that Dan just didn't like the fact that the dick joke overshadowed the main point of his video.

He says "...which was less about making a big statement at the end of the video, cause that wasn't the point of the video." And then later "...cause like I said, this isn't the subject of the video". And then later "I accept it. I wouldn't have made the joke." (this last one is hard to get context if you're just reading it, but he said it like, I wouldn't have made the joke if I didn't accept it).

I can really only interpret all this as Dan being upset that the dick thing overshadowed his personal video that was important to him. He's acknowledging that he had no problem with the dick joke being in his video and how people would interpret that, and that he just didn't like that that was the only takeaway from the video that a lot of people had (which, he should have known, and there's nothing wrong with people who focused on that). He was basically just saying that this video wasn't meant to be any sort of 'coming out' video, that the message was interpreted 'wrong' by some people, and that he didn't like that because it hurt him - but of course, he manifests that hurt as anger/annoyance instead, because defense mechanism and all. I think he wanted to have those jokes and references to his sexuality in the video, but he just didn't like that it ended up being such a large focus of the whole video.

So yeah, I'm kind of beating a dead horse with this post, so sorry to everyone that's done with this discourse, but I was re-watching that part of the liveshow yesterday and wanted to include some of the quotes here for posterity.

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:29 pm Dan has a new twitter header and went through liking a bunch of the #headerfordan images.
Interesting header choice
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Random but did anyone else get a YouTube notification for dapg but no tweets or anything?
liola
rankussy

obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 pm Random but did anyone else get a YouTube notification for dapg but no tweets or anything?
Yes and the video.isn't in my subscription box which is the first time it's happened. I can't see it in the channel either, I have it in my.notifs though. Weird YouTube glitch?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
kavat
pastel persona

Yesss more Crash Bandicoot! This is the only game I have any sort of nostalgia for, I love it.

Also, are they more hyper than normal or is the video slightly sped up?
applegrass
dank meme

Re: Trying To Live My Truth
I must admit, I am too impressionable for my liking. I let myself be overwhelmed by general negative and frustrated vibes after the lifeshow. I was so busy being annoyed with Dan, well, being Dan, that I've completely forgotten my original, quite positive reaction to the video.
We were having a birthday party, the night was deep, everyone had gone to sleep, and I, being the nerd I am, sneaked into the empty room to watch Dan's video. I had been intrigued by its caption about truth the whole evening - reflecting on this after reading people's initial reaction, I assume, I am probably weird, because the possibility of it being a "coming out video" didn't cross my mind even for a single second. The first reaction by my sleep-deprived and slightly drunk self was a mix of aggressively agreeing with everything he was saying and feeling confused. My emotions were a mess, so I rewatched. And then rewatched. And then... You see the pattern, right? Probably the most rewatched Dan's video by me ever.
I mostly go to YouTube not seeking easy and lighthearted entertainment, but "quality content", and I am a sucker for deep conversational videos/long podcasts/etc., so Dan and Phil are not the rule, but the exception for me. Any of their videos going in more sincere or serious direction are very much welcomed by me. Even if I am not so fond of a video itself, I will appreciate honesty. That is a significant part of why I loved Daniel And Depression.
I think, everyone will agree that there has been too much focus on sexuality, so I wanna waffle on about other aspects of the video that I find more important. So, that being said, some good points Daniel has made:
- finding happiness not only in distant future, but in present moment - not only in who you aspire to be, but in who you are right now and what your life is in this fleeting moment; very simple idea, but sometimes, on our way to our goals, to better future, to better us, we forget to enjoy the way
- a little moment of Dan mentioning not everyone is born with the same possibilities; a tiny thing, made a difference for me though, as I sometimes am a bit biased, feeling angry at how privileged rich white male first world citizens such as deppy are, at least he acknowledges it
- Dan considering going back to uni; I was very happy and comfortable in my school - both classmates and teachers were sophisticated and respectful people; after that, having to leave my safe zone and go to uni felt like the greatest tragedy in history of the universe for me, accompanied by my ignorance of who I want to be in life; ironically, Dan's videos about dropping out of uni were something that helped me not to drop out of it and keep going; so anything about his uni situation resonates in me strongly
- general positive message that Dan was trying to deliver
- I feel like "Let Me Live" sign, maybe even unintentionally, is directed towards invasive fans; this made me wanna hug him really badly; not like, myself, but just send the universe to hug him
- also really nice sketches, imo, especially the yoghurt-raspberry-clown one
The video might lack structure or specific point, but it doesn't lack substance for me.
After all, if I can't just throw it out of my mind, it did its job, didn't it?

Re: The Memeing Of Life
Thank you, everyone who responded, especially people who advised me to go and read the discussion back when it was uploaded. That was totally worth it. Now I can definitely see it from different perspectives, although I haven't come to truly dislike it.

Sorry for my poor wording. I feel fluent while reading or watching, but nah, when it comes to actually expressing myself, I have zero eloquency.
Last edited by applegrass on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I wasn't expecting a video tonight (I was thinking tomorrow or Sunday), so I'm pumped.
fancybum
senpai

applegrass wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:18 pm
Re: Trying To Live My Truth
I must admit, I am too impressionable for my liking. I let myself be overwhelmed by general negative and frustrated vibes after the lifeshow. I was so busy being annoyed with Dan, well, being Dan, that I've completely forgotten my original, quite positive reaction to the video.
We were having a birthday party, the night was deep, everyone had gone to sleep, and I, being the nerd I am, sneaked into the empty room to watch Dan's video. I had been intrigued by its caption about truth the whole evening - reflecting on this after reading people's initial reaction, I assume, I am probably weird, because the possibility of it being a "coming out video" didn't cross my mind even for a single second. The first reaction by my sleep-deprived and slightly drunk self was a mix of aggressively agreeing with everything he was saying and feeling confused. My emotions were a mess, so I rewatched. And then rewatched. And then... You see the pattern, right? Probably the most rewatched Dan's video by me ever.
I mostly go to YouTube not seeking easy and lighthearted entertainment, but "quality content", and I am a sucker for deep conversational videos/long podcasts/etc., so Dan and Phil are not the rule, but the exception for me. Any of their videos going in more sincere or serious direction are very much welcomed by me. Even if I am not so fond of a video itself, I will appreciate honesty. That is a significant part of why I loved Daniel And Depression.
I think, everyone will agree that there has been too much focus on sexuality, so I wanna waffle on about other aspects of the video that I find more important. So, that being said, some good points Daniel has made:
- finding happiness not only in distant future, but in present moment - not only in who you aspire to be, but in who you are right now and what your life is in this fleeting moment; very simple idea, but sometimes, on our way to our goals, to better future, to better us, we forget to enjoy the way
- a little moment of Dan mentioning not everyone is born with the same possibilities; a tiny thing, made a difference for me though, as I sometimes am a bit biased, feeling angry at how privileged rich white male first world citizens such as deppy are, at least he acknowledges it
- Dan considering going back to uni; I was very happy and comfortable in my school - both classmates and teachers were sophisticated and respectful people; after that, having to leave my safe zone and go to uni felt like the greatest tragedy in history of the universe for me, accompanied by my ignorance of who I want to be in life; ironically, Dan's videos about dropping out of uni were something that helped me not to drop out of it and keep going; so anything about his uni situation resonates in me strongly
- general positive message that Dan was trying to deliver
- I feel like "Let Me Live" sign, maybe even unintentionally, is directed towards invasive fans; this made me wanna hug him really badly; not like, myself, but just send the universe to hug him
- also really nice sketches, imo, especially the yoghurt-raspberry-clown one
The video might lack structure or specific point, but it doesn't lack substance for me.
After all, if I can't just throw it out of my mind, it did its job, didn't it?

Re: The Memeing Of Life
Thank you, everyone who responded, especially people who advised me to go and read the discussion back when it was uploaded. That was totally worth it. Now I can definitely see it from different perspectives, although I haven't come to truly dislike it.
Sorry for my poor wording. I feel fluent while reading or watching, but nah, when it comes to actually expressing myself, I have zero eloquency.
Uh that was eloquent as fuck, thank you for sharing.

3 vids and a liveshow in a week, I'm not complaining, but I kind of feel like someone's shoving more cake down my throat while I'm still chewing? We've all been there. But yaaaay their last Crash vid was one my favourites, so this should be a hard video to fuck up :love2:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm
Omg I had already realized that a long time ago and found it amusing for other reasons, but I hadn't even thought of it in the context of deppy videos until you brought it up. I'm cautiously excited now.
oh jesus....... it's going to be a satanic easter baking, isn't it?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
autumnhearth
senpai

I clicked on that notification so quickly, me and the kiddo are at home sick and were watching some silly animal videos and all I saw was the word FURRY and said ‘ooo speaking of’.

That was a lot of bants. My takeaway is that they kept reminding us of how much gaming they do together “IRL” and the idea of them spending time apart is absurd (but they are weird). It seems that the feel my heartbeat fan service thing is a thing of the past, I’ll admit that I’m a tiny bit sad. Also Phil is feeling guilty over the “your mum” jokes lately. Kinda wanna hear the creative swearing to hear how the weasel fit in, but also grateful that it was bleeped.

Can anyone remind me what that “bear” thing they were imitating is from? I’m guessing it’s along the lines of llamas in hats.

More glasses and gatorland hat? Is that a promise? Has Dan ever worn a hat in a gaming video that wasn’t a Santa hat or Pokémon?

So that was definitely filmed after Dan he had a title and release date for his video, but other than that, is there anyway to tell?
Last edited by autumnhearth on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

These types of videos are always my favorite, consider me satisfied :lol:
I know it was just a throw-away comment from Dan, but I now want a livestream of Phil playing Fortnite....I wanna see his rage yelling/swearing so bad
Edit to add: There were a couple comments that Dan made that made me furrow my eyebrows(in an ".....okay..." way) in there, but I can't really remember what they were now so I guess it wasn't that big of a deal lmao
Last edited by snokoplasmic on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kavat
pastel persona

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm Can anyone remind me what that “bear” thing they were imitating is from? I’m guessing it’s along the lines of llamas in hats.
It's a reference to this video that went viral a few years ago
dailybooth
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

That was a nice video, the gaming channel almost never disappoints. I lost it when Phil said "I'd hit your mom's box" :shock: :lol: they both seemed to be in nice moods, I wonder when this was filmed?
:lion: :prideflag:
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

dailybooth wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:49 pm That was a nice video, the gaming channel almost never disappoints. I lost it when Phil said "I'd hit your mom's box" :shock: :lol: they both seemed to be in nice moods, I wonder when this was filmed?
I'm thinking maybe sometime in this past week? Based on Dan saying something about "living [his] truth" somewhere in there (can't be bothered to go find the exact time lol, sorry)
autumnhearth
senpai

kavat wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 pm
autumnhearth wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:42 pm Can anyone remind me what that “bear” thing they were imitating is from? I’m guessing it’s along the lines of llamas in hats.
Thanks. Also, wow. :? :lol: :shock: :rofl:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 pm
kavat wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 pm
Thanks. Also, wow. :? :lol: :shock: :rofl:
lmao yeah, that video kills me every time. I was dying when they were referencing it.

Also - I liked the video! Don't have time for more thoughts right now, but it was a good video overall
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

hmm, i think my mood was yet again put off with the anxiety of the discussion, but that's not anyone's fault.
I don't know how to interpret the moment when dan said "we need to spend some time apart" he was probably just joking, but it still made me feel upset at the idea of that and i think i need help trying to understand what it meant. and this is the first time this year dan said "friendship" in a gaming vid this year, which isn't a big deal because (demon ahead) people in relationships absolutely have to be best friends, but was there any underlying messages that could spike my anxiety and over thinking? I don't think they're moving apart, i just wanna know if anyone got the same vibes i felt.
i need comfort.
i also love crash bandicoot very much.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
aleanna
glabella

Secretstanner wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:53 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:15 pm
Grey wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:45 pm I understand why people were upset by what dan said and I think it’s fine for fans to have criticism (healthy even), but I also feel bad for Dan. I feel bad for him because he obviously struggles with his sexuality (I think we can all agree about that but sorry if you don’t)
I disagree that dan struggles with his sexuality. I think he struggles with what he wants to share with his audience about his sexuality, but not his sexuality itself.
100% AGREE I believe dan knows and has accepted who he is and it’s not that he struggles with his own personal sexuality which I see a lot of people talk about.
As a person who is 29yo and has identified as queer since I was 13, I still struggle with my sexuality. I know and have accepted who I am, but that doesn't mean that I don't question myself, especially when it comes to how interact with people/society. It's great if you think that you 100% know who you are and are unafraid to "live your truth," but it isn't as easy for everyone. Part of being human is constantly changing, learning, and evolving, and sometimes we discover things about ourselves that can throw us through a loop and question ourselves, even if we already felt confident in who we were before.

(Also, it can be especially discomfiting when your not straight or gay, but somewhere in between. I often felt left out and alone because I'm not straight enough to be straight, but I'm not 100% gay, so I feel left out in that community as well.)

idk. this is a bit of a rambly mess...
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
somelikeitpink
living flop

@ratlad - I just came into the forum to see if anyone had posted this.

I think normally doesn’t wouldn’t have made me feel weird but with everything going on lately... idk
malday
emo goose

I like the video, the part when they bleeped out Dan's swearing and Phil was cracking up made me laugh.

But i don't think Dan was exactly in a nice mood. From a lot of his "bants" and tone i felt like he was venting, and maybe reacting to some things this past week, especially with the "way to imply that everything phallic is a penis, Phil" comment and with other sarcastic remarks.

Not to mention they played Getting Over It again on Steam a few weeks back but uploaded this videos which seems to be filmed this week instead ?
Last edited by malday on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.