Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: she/her

annabanana wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:40 pm Also, I feel like I am missing something in what Phil says 11:59 "He [Dab] can be the leader, he'll take Evan wherever he wants to go" and Dan comments "That's the best sentence you've ever said". Is there some subtext here I'm not getting?
ditto, this felt like some context was missing when i was watching it. i agree with others it's sexual/romantic in nature just judging from their delivery, but the jumpcuts made it really hard to figure out what exactly was happening in this moment. something was definitely cut out and i'm curious why/why it was left in, but edited so tightly.

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:39 am
4:20 - Dan: Their friendship will get them through anything. Phil: Friendship. (Do they realize nonstop using friendship as the blanket term for Dab and Evan even though Dab and Evan are clearly gearing up for some romancey times just feels really meta?)
yes, this part!!!

this was SO on the nose and unashamed from Phil after saying 'friendship' in that tone, it shocked me. what were other people's thoughts?
10:33 - Dan cannot resist the pun: "Theyre a couple of cloud gays."
this is significant, right? this felt significant. dan has never reacted well to the word gay, let alone used it in a queer-reclaimy language slang context.
22:28 - Simple curves of a dual shock 4.
this was humorous and unexpected. dan talking about appreciating someone's...subtle curves? is not what we commonly hear from him. and comparing it to a gaming controller, amazing nerd level reached.

a part i noticed that i had to keep rewatching was around 14.20?
observing dan deal with his instinctual anxiety, but the useful kind, when you actually do want something and are excited but nervous; and phil's amused and gentle response. that was at the same time direct - just straight up addressing dan's reaction for what it was, "no time for flirting! only time for excavating" but in a way that lightens any potential tension. dan bites his lips, twice, and we see in action why they peel and chap.

(this face is damn adorable)

this storyline over the last few episodes is bringing up something of a role reversal in this regard, and it's fascinating to watch. i get different vibes from both of them, something feels old school about the dynamic. phil also felt more self-aware (more animated, looking into the monitor more at himself) to me and i wonder if that was the hair.

the episode in general was A+. so many sweet moments (watching them watch two young men fall in love, and all the little social commentary and nostalgic memories it's bringing up - jamaica! hot springs! - is almost too much for my heart to take). i notice dan didn't agree with phil this time as in the last sims camping, about hating the outdoors and being in nature, only the extremities of the experience. as dan has said in previous years he enjoys these things, it does highlight to me it's a phil thing - being a little precious about getting dirty and creature comforts, and somehow that totally fits and is cute.

agree with whoever said the series has been breathed new life, and they're enjoying it again instead of just trudging through.
art in avatar by lily
starwatersong
phabergé

+1 on the adorableness of 6:18. I’m a sucker for their soft voices.

It reminded me of Pinof9 bloopers (the quiet “Did I really scare you?”)
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

omg yesssss the tiny soft natural phil voice jumpcut how did i forget to comment

bless their editing choices in this one seriously.
art in avatar by lily
ahriem
dank meme

it sounded to me like dan was using his sans-voice for a couple of lines when he was haggling at the market
autumnhearth
senpai

I’m just going to bounce off of dizzy’s timestamps to remember my actual thoughts while watching.
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:39 am Sims timestamps :)
1:35 - Dead grandma mention.
I found Dan’s “and where is she now?” a bit rude, but Phil didn’t seem offended in the least. They have an interesting dynamic.
3:05 - Dan wants to transform something from their anniversary, Phil refuses.
Phil’s sentimentality definitely stood out to me here. I’m wondering if Phil keeps more things out of sentimentality, but then I remember Dan’s special box.
3:50 - Brokeback Mountain moment. (I love Phil specifying 'in the tent' when Dan tries to throw in plausible deniability.)
Yeah, Dan tries to backtrack, but Phil goes for it, albeit quietly and with Dan still talking. I missed it on the first watch.
4:20 - Dan: Their friendship will get them through anything. Phil: Friendship. (Do they realize nonstop using friendship as the blanket term for Dab and Evan even though Dab and Evan are clearly gearing up for some romancey times just feels really meta?)
Very very interesting. Dan keeps dancing around this, but Phil has no issue calling a spade a spade. Also yeah, it’s a bit meta.
5:00 - 2012 Dan gets a shoutout.
Both times watching I yelled at the screen “llamas aren’t all about you Dan”, llamas are awesome animals all on their own. Both my husband and son have llama plushies and llama shirts (husband’s came before Dan, kiddo’s came after and yes he has a llama hat too, but totally not the point okay?)
5:38 - Shitty trip now when they're young, they'll come back and rent the expensive villa when they're forty year old rich businessmen.
Sounds like a plan. Too bad there’s only one bed. Such a shame. Guess that’s what slumming it on a gap year looks like, lots of innocent bed sharing.
9:20 - First, I love how Phil is leaning with his hand against his face. Second, Phil mentions the water bottle as "one of those festival things."
I like how Phil turns to Dan when he says festival things, because besides Big Weekend for BBC Radio 1 where I’m sure they were given hotel accommodations, I don’t think Phil really went to festivals.
10:33 - Dan cannot resist the pun: "Theyre a couple of cloud gays."
He apologizes for it as if he might offend some certified Gays(tm), but seriously Dan, it’s ok honey.
11:00 - Phil needs stylist themed outfits before they can proceed into the jungle.
I love him for this. I just realized yesterday how much time he must have spent on Love Nikki before they filmed the spon, and it’s a lot.
14:40 - Indiana Dab. No.
Was this the excavation moment? Because Phil was such an eager beaver to start the romancing, the husband and I both laughed out loud.
18:26 - Jamaica mention! The thing they jumped off of was too high.
I’m okay.
18:39 - Phil rubs his ear then touches his eyebrow within five seconds of each other. Does he even know what to do with his hands without fixing a splinge every three seconds?
Oh thank god! I will not miss the splinge fiddling.
22:00 - What teen date did you ever go on like that? I don't know, Dan. How was Portugal again?
Oh snap!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i had a dream last night that DnP went camping and was filming a DITL while setting up their tent and collecting sticks for a fire and all that jazz. also a lot of nipple rubbing happened for some reason but lets not get into that, idk why that happened in my dream and i wish it didn't. i want it to stop.
but camping DITL sounds so good and i want it now.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

One recent example of Dan not shying away from the word gay that comes to my mind was in his liveshow from last year in which he talked in-depth about his identification with the emo community as a kid. If I remember correctly he was talking about how the emo community appealed to a lot of people back then because they were in touch with their emotions, and he sort of inferred that a lot of non-straight people (himself included) felt like they belonged in the emo community. Here's a gifset from that liveshow in which he uses the word gay comfortably (excuse my tags from seven months ago lol):
Not really sure what the point of this post is tbh. Just that I guess I hadn't noticed him adamantly distancing himself from the word gay recently? Not that I think he identifies with it necessarily (he may, but he seems to have indicated that he's attracted to multiple genders), but I haven't gotten the vibe that he's uncomfortable with the word, at least not in the past couple of years. The "cloud gays" joke was the sort of pun that I would make, even though I'm bi technically. I didn't read him saying sorry as a fear of offending gay people (I actually interpreted him as feeling entitled to make that joke, as a non-straight person), but rather as an apology for the bad pun. That's just my interpretation, but thought I'd offer it up anyway!!
autumnhearth
senpai

That’s a totally valid interpretation @captainspacecoat and I hope you’re correct. I love that ls moment. I’m not sure why I read Dan as being so cautious lately. Probably my own residual feelings from his last ls. He did go right for kissing the hands midway through gameplay and Phil scolded him for ignoring their little democracy. I remember this past summer I thought Phil was avoiding saying the word gay when he was saying ‘a [fruit] a day makes you happy’... (or something like that) in a ls. But Phil has seemed really carefree in this whole Devan romance thing and Dan seems more awkward. I dunno. :shrug: I don’t blame him for it though, it must be intimidating knowing so many people are watching and probably reading into things.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i also didn't catch that he could be apologising to anyone, and interpreted it as apologising for a bad pun, which is what i meant by 'queer-reclaimy language slang context' in my post - terrible english :lol:. i just can't think of a better word for it. calling yourself gay and referring to 'the gays' as shorthand or slang is very popular lately for any queer spectrum person online (even when not referring to exclusively homosexual persons/behaviour).

he hasn't demonstrated a good relationship with that word till more recently (great example @captainspacecoat) so i found it encouraging and...reclaimy? lol

edit: clarification - reclaimy for him, since he's referred to it being used an insult against him during bullying and seemed to be a trigger for emotional responses years ago.
art in avatar by lily
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

mermaid blood wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 am
yes, this part!!!

this was SO on the nose and unashamed from Phil after saying 'friendship' in that tone, it shocked me. what were other people's thoughts?
Bless you for including the screencaps. Not just because of the moment, but also because I hadn't seen a picture of Phil yet this morning and I need to stare at his forehead some more.
captainspacecoat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 amNot really sure what the point of this post is tbh. Just that I guess I hadn't noticed him adamantly distancing himself from the word gay recently? Not that I think he identifies with it necessarily (he may, but he seems to have indicated that he's attracted to multiple genders), but I haven't gotten the vibe that he's uncomfortable with the word, at least not in the past couple of years. The "cloud gays" joke was the sort of pun that I would make, even though I'm bi technically. I didn't read him saying sorry as a fear of offending gay people (I actually interpreted him as feeling entitled to make that joke, as a non-straight person), but rather as an apology for the bad pun. That's just my interpretation, but thought I'd offer it up anyway!!
That's a good point about the liveshow, I had forgotten that. I think I was on the same wavelength as @mermaid blood, assuming Dan generally strays away from using the word 'gay' even to make jokes because he has frustrating associations with the word being used to bully him in addition to not wanting it to be too closely associated with himself to avoid being labeled.
ratlad
angel bean

@captainspacecoat that's exactly what I thought of!!!
that was such a good thing last year! i like when he normalizes it and just casually talks about stuff like that.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Another thought: Do we think Phil changed his hair in preparation for his new, fringe-avoidant merch?
yes, this part!!!
I think I literally dreamt about this bit last night. I cannot believe this happened and Phil really said that and really made that face!!! It's like the "and they were roommates" comment on crack.

It's sort of strange to me in general how it's now Phil who makes all the risky relationship comments and Dan who gets a bit awkward. Oh, how the turns have tabled.
ratlad
angel bean

rizzo wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:11 pm Another thought: Do we think Phil changed his hair in preparation for his new, fringe-avoidant merch?
yes, this part!!!
I think I literally dreamt about this bit last night. I cannot believe this happened and Phil really said that and really made that face!!! It's like the "and they were roommates" comment on crack.

It's sort of strange to me in general how it's now Phil who makes all the risky relationship comments and Dan who gets a bit awkward. Oh, how the turns have tabled.
i never really hear phil push the "friendship" thing (well, of course they're still best friends)
as much as dan does. last time i can recall phil mentioning it was in dans Young Minds ls when he ordered him and dan milkshakes then said "because im a... because im a good,,, friend" and quickly changed the subject. could mean absolutely nothing though, not a big deal! an observation.
but I don't rly see dan get awkward when phil makes relationship comments tbh!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I support Phil's fringeless hair a 100%. I hope that now he was able to change up his cut, his fringe will forever be a relic of the past.

The sims episode was so predictable again. sighs I'm burning out on the sims series. I feel it's their least interesting content and the whole thing just runs on shallow, predictable 'life events' being endlessly drawn out.
That said, any D&P content is entertaining enough for me to watch but i found their bants convincingly mediocre.
I've contemplated the whole sim family dying horribly in a car crash for a couple of times now, and that's wrong :lol:

2 months since the last Phil Liveshow, no Dan liveshow yesterday (what I sort of feared/ hopefully all the drama around the last show didn't play a part in his decision not to stream because if it did it's likely to be more than a strictly temporary thing)
What do you think, will Phil water all of the fandom tonight?
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

lying makes you go to hell (but i'm so glad it's here to stay)
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:55 pm
i live for the quiff staying ( :stan: ), the domesticity of dan making an entire tweet just about phil's new haircut and the implication that phil's always somewhere in the corner of dan's eye. 10/10 good tweet. yesterday's gaming video was also 10/10 good video, this new storyline has definitely brought my excitement for the sims series back and they were cute as hell!
i feel like i'm repeating my self but all i need now is a phil liveshow (0/10, in deep withdrawal atm :cry: ) but i feel like, after the whole forehead event, tomorrow might be the Day!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Not only did Dan make an entire tweet about it but now he's answering people on twitter solely on the topic of Phil's hair? My afternoon needed this.
liola
rankussy

Dan really is doing an entire thread talking about Phil's hair this is some peak married shit

Also he's on team fwiff I have no clue what that means
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Sounds like the black is definitely staying.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

liola wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 pm Dan really is doing an entire thread talking about Phil's hair this is some peak married shit

Also he's on team fwiff I have no clue what that means
Apparently a fwiff is like a zayn haircut. I guess they're just doing what they can now - if they can't actually get zayn to join them for a threesome, do the next best thing and copy zayn's look? Though I would have thought dan would be the one copying zayn's look for phil, but hey I guess this works for them too
hello9217
flower crown

ok that's cute
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:06 pm Not only did Dan make an entire tweet about it but now he's answering people on twitter solely on the topic of Phil's hair? My afternoon needed this.
yeah I was just about to go edit my post to add them all because damn he's on a roll!
so here you go for posterity (and because i have nothing better to do) :ribena: :
about phil's forehead : how phil would (not) break into a house : about being phil's personal photographer about phil's hair pt.2: about phil's hair pt.3 : about phil sharing his straighteners: about phil's hair pt.4 : about phil's merch :
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Just here to mention how much I love that Dan has talked more about Phil’s hair than the man himself. Nice.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

AroboticPhil wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 pm about phil sharing his straighteners:
cheers to dan for confirming that the moon room is shared! :alcohol:

:glasses:
dancy
procrastinator

I gotta agree with Dan, I'm team fwiff. The full-on fringe and quiff are both a bit much for me but something inbetween sounds nice.

Dan seems like he's doing a lot better now than the last few weeks, which I'm v happy about <3 What would make me even happier is a Phil live show and an Easter/April Fools video. I believe someone here already mentioned that Easter is on April 1st this year, so it would be interesting to see if they could combine those celebrations.

And I saw Dan liked this tweet (his likes recently have been...interesting). Now that's merch I would buy!