Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
annetamiau
lady door

scientia wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 pm RE: the Tour, I’ve always been really curious about how they will handle ‘Phan’ and the audience. I bet for the majority of the shows it won’t be an issue, but let’s assume someone somewhere wants to talk about something Phan-related during a show. I guess what I mean is, if this is more interactive than tatinof:

a) do Dan and Phil want questions about things that could touch on Phan (be it jokingly or more serious)
b) if they don’t, do they go so far as to forewarn the audience that certain topics aren’t allowed / have a pre-approved list of audience members to “interact” with
c) go with it or
d) just kind of assume that most people won’t make a big deal

I don’t mean to suggest that everyone who goes to the tour will be unable to restrain themselves - I’m more just curious about how the guys prevent being faced with topics they’d rather not address on the spot. Did this come up during tatinof?
Everything Dan and Phil have said so far sounds pretty close to what TATINOF was, in my opinion. In TATINOF people would write challenges and awkward childhood stories on cards, and part of their team would sort the cards in advance. It gave no room for improvisation. I think they'll do basically the same, maybe with different topics. I don't think they will ever put themselves in a position where they have no control over what people ask.

Also, in TATINOF they had the Brokeback-Mountain-like fanfic bit (which I think was deeply distasteful, but the phandom has selective memory sometimes), so it's not like they are unfamiliar with poking fun at the ship.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
fancybum
senpai

annetamiau wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 pm Everything Dan and Phil have said so far sounds pretty close to what TATINOF was, in my opinion. In TATINOF people would write challenges and awkward childhood stories on cards, and part of their team would sort the cards in advance. It gave no room for improvisation. I think they'll do basically the same, maybe with different topics. I don't think they will ever put themselves in a position where they have no control over what people ask.

Also, in TATINOF they had the Brokeback-Mountain-like fanfic bit (which I think was deeply distasteful, but the phandom has selective memory sometimes), so it's not like they are unfamiliar with poking fun at the ship.
Could you explain why you think it was deeply distasteful? I don't think it's about selective memory so much as people just having differing opinions, and I disagree that there was anything wrong with them including generic fanfic in the show.

But definitely agreed that any 'participation' that may happen will be heavily filtered/approved beforehand.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

At the end of the first Tatinof I went to, I think in response to Phil talking about doing something new ie singing and dancing, some bright spark yelled "Kiss him!" from the back of the theatre. So some dick'll do it if they want to. They must be aware and have a screening system in place somehow.
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:20 pm
liola wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 pm
ratlad wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm us: hah weiner :)

dan: that's not the point :/
dan, in the same breath: anyway, i love Tha Dicc™
Us: wow Dan loves sex haha get it man!
Dan: you know iTS FUNNY ~
Yeah if Dan could just do us a solid and include a footnote with all of these telling us what we're allowed to laugh at what what he'll be mad about in two days that'd be helpful.
I love both "hah weiner" and the dryness of this last bit.
snokoplasmic wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 pm Phil went on Tumblr, reblogged one (1) post about unicorn-music, and then left. What an icon
Also this.
annetamiau
lady door

fancybum wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:21 pm
annetamiau wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 pm Everything Dan and Phil have said so far sounds pretty close to what TATINOF was, in my opinion. In TATINOF people would write challenges and awkward childhood stories on cards, and part of their team would sort the cards in advance. It gave no room for improvisation. I think they'll do basically the same, maybe with different topics. I don't think they will ever put themselves in a position where they have no control over what people ask.

Could you explain why you think it was deeply distasteful? I don't think it's about selective memory so much as people just having differing opinions, and I disagree that there was anything wrong with them including generic fanfic in the show.

But definitely agreed that any 'participation' that may happen will be heavily filtered/approved beforehand.
It's people having differing opinions, definitely. The selective memory comment was, of course, from my perspective. I think that alluding to the ship in a jokey way while keeping their relationship ambiguous (2015 context) is in poor taste, but that's just me and I know it's not a widespread opinion.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

autumnhearth wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:29 pm
watsonian wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 pm
flarequake wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:52 pm Oh, Daniel, what a tweet. First result of a quick search is that wearing pants in bed is bad for the old peen, so maybe these do indeed do something, but I haven't found out what yet. Gotta love how unafraid he is to just say the word penis. Not that he shouldn't be. I'm intrigued, anyway. The brand name's too generic to even find their website easily, I'm mostly getting stuff about healthcare for boxer dogs :roll:
They're here: https://www.newchic.com/boxer-briefs-49 ... 65180.html

Apparently they contain magnets and improve everything from your sleep quality to the amount of oxygen in your blood.

Also. Wow. This website. There is so much variety in underwear I did not know about.
There sure are some interesting images there.
No but seriously, what the hell is this
I'm sorry

Edit to add that the unicorn video Phil reblogged is made by the very talented youtuber Andrew Huang and if you are interested in weird music making or music production you should definitely check him out. This is the making of-video.
Last edited by kavat on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

dapg haven't uploaded in 2 whole years..... oddly enough, it's been exactly 2 years today since their last upload.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Lol, those photos. I've seen the transparent one being soaked in ads following me around the net so I don't know what I browsed to bring that on, but I'm amused by the hand seemingly smacking them. The steam one, wow, it's as if they're being ironed in mid-air. I have no idea.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Well, Safiya is not wrong...
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Oh, Safiya. Right to the heart of it ;)
starwatersong
phabergé

flarequake wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:09 pm Oh, Safiya. Right to the heart of it ;)
And Dan liked it. Love when my favourites interact. :ribena:
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Looking at Cornelia's Instagram story....is there any chance that that could be Phil merch? Or am I just too eager and that's probably somebody elses lmao
flarequake
not an airport stalker

That’s Lucy Moon so I’m guessing it’s her merch.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

flarequake wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 pm That’s Lucy Moon so I’m guessing it’s her merch.
whoops I did not know that at all lol, thank you
ratlad
angel bean

is love, simon out in the UK? cause for some reason i feel like dnp went to see it tonight... idk why??
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

ratlad wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:10 pm is love, simon out in the UK? cause for some reason i feel like dnp went to see it tonight... idk why??
nope, it comes out on april 6th.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:20 pm
ratlad wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:10 pm is love, simon out in the UK? cause for some reason i feel like dnp went to see it tonight... idk why??
I thought for sure considering Phil's boner for it that they'd have gone to see Ready Player One.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 pm
obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:20 pm
I thought for sure consider Phil's boner for it that they'd have gone to see Ready Player One.
Yeah (which annoys me because dude you've read it like 10 times and still can't pick up on the super problematic shit in it?), but the fact that they weren't there is cementing the fact that it must be crunch time for them.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I love that they're expanding the merch shop even more. It's such a deeply satisfying thing to see their business grow and expand. I mean, content is great; it's obviously the lifeblood of the fandom. But I somehow thrill at the behind the scenes stability even more, I just love knowing they did the thing and the thing is thriving.

To be honest it's also kind of the way I feel about tour, and why I hope things legitimately go well for them (money wise).
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm Wow Dan we get it. :ribena:
Dan be like

He really wants us to know he’s getting some!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
000dia000
emo goose

I'm like two days late to post this, but I couldn't get it off my mind:
This would make a good fanfic prompt tbh

That's it. That's my only contribution, sorry.
:cactus:
ratlad
angel bean

000dia000 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:01 pm I'm like two days late to post this, but I couldn't get it off my mind:

Phil accidentally meets a guy named Dan one day when playing fortnite, leading to a strong friendship. little does each other know, they have secretly fell in love with one another without ever seeing what they look like.

rated: E

AU, slow burn, coming out, hurt, friends to lovers, cyber sex

uses lines like: "I'll find you in any world, Phil"
"we can make a life together up there"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ratlad wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:21 pm
000dia000 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:01 pm I'm like two days late to post this, but I couldn't get it off my mind:

Phil accidentally meets a guy named Dan one day when playing fortnite, leading to a strong friendship. little does each other know, they have secretly fell in love with one another without ever seeing what they look like.

rated: E

AU, slow burn, coming out, hurt, friends to lovers, cyber sex

uses lines like: "I'll find you in any world, Phil"
"we can make a life together up there"
how did you get ahold of my current WIP and why would you leak it like that?!?

(jk if i write it i'd be more likely to put dan and phil in the fortnite world and literally have them make a lift together in a one room bunker on a hill)
dancy
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 am I love that they're expanding the merch shop even more. It's such a deeply satisfying thing to see their business grow and expand. I mean, content is great; it's obviously the lifeblood of the fandom. But I somehow thrill at the behind the scenes stability even more, I just love knowing they did the thing and the thing is thriving.

To be honest it's also kind of the way I feel about tour, and why I hope things legitimately go well for them (money wise).
I want D&P to do well too but I can imagine the tour must be very expensive for them as well (production, travel. accommodation, insurances etc). No clue how much all of that would cost though and how well the tour would have to sell for them to break even. I wonder how profitable their previous tour was and how the expenses and sales of TATINOF compare to those of Interactive Introverts.

I do have to say that some of the choices they've made regarding this tour confuse me. A few US venues they'll be performing at are just too big (>5000 seats) for two Youtubers to fill and thus will be quite underfilled. I understand that in some cases there may not have been different venues available or they may have been other issues but still... And the one in Austin, for example, has a capacity of 8000 (vs TATINOF: 2900) but according to the website there are various seating arrangements for different kinds of events, like in this case a theatre style event (picture below). Why didn't they choose that instead?
Current seating chartImageA more appropriate one Image
The median capacity of the US venues is over 3000, which I also think is kinda high considering they're doing over 30 shows there (multiple shows in some states) and most of them aren't even close to being sold out. I also still don't get why they added those two extra dates (which are unsurprisingly selling poorly) but haven't added shows to places that did sell out quickly (such as Germany, Finland and New Zealand). It's a shame the American leg of the tour is such a mess, considering most other places (especially Europe, Australia and NZ) are doing so well. However, I understand that in some cases there may be issues regarding venue availability, timing, scheduling, traveling and whatnot and of course, I'm no expert :shrug:

Anyway, rant over, I hope there's a Sims video today.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I'm bored at work, so question for you all. Do you think there will be a gaming video tonight? If so, what video do you think it will be, and what video do you want it to be?

I'm thinking we're due for a sims, but I'm always keeping up hope for a new 'keep talking and nobody explodes'
ratlad
angel bean

whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:06 pm I'm bored at work, so question for you all. Do you think there will be a gaming video tonight? If so, what video do you think it will be, and what video do you want it to be?

I'm thinking we're due for a sims, but I'm always keeping up hope for a new 'keep talking and nobody explodes'
I'm still betting on a sims or getting over it
but that bomb game also came to my mind last night!! it's a good one! i hope it's that!