Dan & Phil Part 67: Laughter, Food and Sex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dancy
procrastinator

snokoplasmic wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:52 pm From the dnpshop newsletter:
Rumour has it that as well as a couple quirky Dan and Phil items on the horizon, Phil may be working on new AmazingPhil merch too later in the year so watch this space! *mysterious dramatic music*
I wonder how late "later this year" is?
Oh, I was hoping Phil was gonna release his merch within the next few weeks but this makes it sounds like it's gonna be a couple of months. I wonder what those "quirky Dan and Phil items" will be...
so_cheesy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:28 pm A general thought about his merch: I see a lot of people are slightly disappointed, but then again most of Dan's fans are teens so maybe he wanted to sell stuff that appeals to them the most.
I dunno, personally I wouldn't have liked Dan's merch back when I was a teenager either. This feels like a bit of an excuse to me because while I don't know the exact demographics of D&P's audience (which they must do considering they can check it in Youtube Analytics), I do know some of us are in our 20's and older and he should be capable of making merch that appeals to both teenagers and (young) adults. I ain't mad at it or anything but this feels like merch that should've been released back in 2015 as some of it's just kinda outdated. I think he can do better and make stuff that's more like his current clothing style (which I do like), which is why I do still have hopes for whatever he releases in the future.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:40 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:33 pm
so_cheesy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:28 pm A general thought about his merch: I see a lot of people are slightly disappointed, but then again most of Dan's fans are teens so maybe he wanted to sell stuff that appeals to them the most.
I would find it weird if Dan is making merch targeted at his young audience while making videos with more adult topics/references. If my main target audience was 14, I wouldn't record lines about eating ass.
With the exception of a backpack (because mostly teenage/college age people are who need backpacks), I don't think he's marketing to a young audience. Introverted tag lines and black t-shirts don't make things emo or teenage to me - and I think I said once already but if he put "don't talk to me" with the upside down smilie on a short sleeve tee I'd buy the fuck out of it. All it makes me is... an adult who likes wearing jeans and t-shirts.
This. I'm in my 20s and I didn't stop being goth-ish when I stopped being a teenager. Idk how it is where othere people live but around here (northern Europe, big city) people well into their 30s or older still stick to their punk aesthetics and styles and I love it. It's not like you can outgrow a lifestyle anyway and there's nothing weird about it to me. What makes me think Dan's merch was geared towards (older) teens is the inclusion of the bag actually. Not just because teens are usually the ones needing backpacks but also because its design kinda screams high school for me with the "ugh" and generally the design of it. All the other stuff I can see on older people with an alternative aesthetic without problem.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

I would find it weird if Dan is making merch targeted at his young audience while making videos with more adult topics/references. If my main target audience was 14, I wouldn't record lines about eating ass.
With the exception of a backpack (because mostly teenage/college age people are who need backpacks), I don't think he's marketing to a young audience. Introverted tag lines and black t-shirts don't make things emo or teenage to me - and I think I said once already but if he put "don't talk to me" with the upside down smilie on a short sleeve tee I'd buy the fuck out of it. All it makes me is... an adult who likes wearing jeans and t-shirts.
i wouldn't say its directed at 14 year olds in general but the 14(ish) year olds who follow him were definitely a big group in mind. the 14-16 year olds i've seen who avidly watch him feel like the 2018 version of what my social group was like at 14-16 and i'm already out of touch with it and it was only a few years ago. the "ugh, don't talk to me, i wish i was at home, i only wear black, i love twenty one pilots" and the "uwu, i'm anime trash, flower crowns" things aren't anywhere close to just being for 14-16 year olds, but they do seem like the kind of slightly alternative, internet based things that younger teenagers are into rn, kind of like the 2012ish "i love sherlock, touch my butt and buy me chicken nuggets, i need tea to live" stuff?
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

jaej wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:51 pm
i wouldn't say its directed at 14 year olds in general but the 14(ish) year olds who follow him were definitely a big group in mind. the 14-16 year olds i've seen who avidly watch him feel like the 2018 version of what my social group was like at 14-16 and i'm already out of touch with it and it was only a few years ago. the "ugh, don't talk to me, i wish i was at home, i only wear black, i love twenty one pilots" and the "uwu, i'm anime trash, flower crowns" things aren't anywhere close to just being for 14-16 year olds, but they do seem like the kind of slightly alternative, internet based things that younger teenagers are into rn, kind of like the 2012ish "i love sherlock, touch my butt and buy me chicken nuggets, i need tea to live" stuff?
I guess from my perspective a black t-shirt is just a black t-shirt. I wear them with blue jeans and sneakers and there's nothing alternative or even goth or edgy band inspired about them. But from the perspective of Dan marketing the backpack and the flower crown, yeah, I see your point.
blackdenim
procrastinator

Hiiii I hope everyone is well.

I know I'm (a few days? A week? I don't know, my life has been crazy recently) behind but I just want to come here and say Officially On The Record that Phil's 'Exposing Our Instagram Explore Pages!' video is the thing that has finally tipped me over the edge from being firmly Phan-agnostic to genuinely believing they're a couple. I don't know why that's what did it but... it did.

Thank you for your attention, you can all continue with your lives now.
starwatersong
phabergé

Hmm, it was the fact they share laundry for me. I’ve lived with a roommate for four years, and we keep all that separate.

Congrats on your epiphany (and thank you for prodding me to rewatch that video).
malday
emo goose

blackdenim wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 pm Hiiii I hope everyone is well.

I know I'm (a few days? A week? I don't know, my life has been crazy recently) behind but I just want to come here and say Officially On The Record that Phil's 'Exposing Our Instagram Explore Pages!' video is the thing that has finally tipped me over the edge from being firmly Phan-agnostic to genuinely believing they're a couple. I don't know why that's what did it but... it did.

:ribena: congratulations!
Now you can brace for the imminent phandivorce.
phillyforgot
butt chair

malday wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 pm
blackdenim wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 pm Hiiii I hope everyone is well.

:ribena: congratulations!
Now you can brace for the imminent phandivorce.
Wait? Are you saying #phandivorce is happening? Oh no! :cry:
autumnhearth
senpai

Dan also did the predictive text thing. He didn’t reply to any though.
I love predictive text and offer my own:

At Interactive Introverts Dan and Phil will have the best time to be able for the kids clothing to watch the boys in their old flat...

Which apparently is specific to what I’ve written on IDB (reflecting my desire for kids merch and erm stalking, hmm) because my Twitter one was way different:

At Interactive Introverts Dan and Phil will appreciate the opportunity for us a little more to appreciate the opportunity...

Adding my Tumblr one because it’s funny:

At Interactive Introverts Dan and Phil will not have a chance to look at the moon room but we can see how much it was going to happen...
MyCartoonHeart
tol bean

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:11 am Dan also did the predictive text thing. He didn’t reply to any though.
I love predictive text and offer my own:

At Interactive Introverts Dan and Phil will have the best time to be able for the kids clothing to watch the boys in their old flat...

Which apparently is specific to what I’ve written on IDB (reflecting my desire for kids merch and erm stalking, hmm) because my Twitter one was way different:

At Interactive Introverts Dan and Phil will appreciate the opportunity for us a little more to appreciate the opportunity...

Adding my Tumblr one because it’s funny:

At Interactive Introverts Dan and Phil will not have a chance to look at the moon room but we can see how much it was going to happen...
Here's what came up for me when I did it on here:

At interactive introverts dan and phil will be the best team ever and I will have a good day with me and my favorite phanfiction of all time

.....seems pretty accurate actually :thumb:

This is what came up when I did it on Tumblr:

At interactive introverts Dan and Phil will make you look at a good boy that is one thicc bih

:rofl:
autumnhearth
senpai

MyCartoonHeart wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:02 am

At interactive introverts dan and phil will be the best team ever and I will have a good day with me and my favorite phanfiction of all time

At interactive introverts Dan and Phil will make you look at a good boy that is one thicc bih

Love it! Dogs on stage confirmed! :undertaledog:

Curious about what your fave phanfic of all time is now. Or at least your fave trope.
twotwelveam
smol bean

We've all seen the mild drama in the phandom lately and the slight freakout that Dan's new independent merch line has caused. None of us know what the hell any of it means for the future of Dan and Phil and whether or not this is the end of an era.

So, do you guys think there's a chance they could be splitting up after tour?

Tbh I really really doubt they're parting ways, especially because Dan's supposedly been working on this merch for years, and I don't see how they could go from being conjoined at the hip to separating in the blink of an eye.
But what are your guys's opinions?
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged into main thread
milky milky coco puffs
MyCartoonHeart
tol bean

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:27 am
MyCartoonHeart wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:02 am

Love it! Dogs on stage confirmed! :undertaledog:

Curious about what your fave phanfic of all time is now. Or at least your fave trope.
I don't think I have a favorite phanfic, but my favorite trope is slow burn or friends to lovers. I like fics that make me suffer for a while. ;) I'm currently reading A Match and a Fuse and Disturb the Universe, which are both slow burns and really good. 10/10 would recommend.
starwatersong
phabergé

Mine was:

At Interactive Introverts, Dan and Phil will do not a lot more than they do.

My phone is savage.
karma_yeah
philussy

twotwelveam wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:14 am We've all seen the mild drama in the phandom lately and the slight freakout that Dan's new independent merch line has caused. None of us know what the hell any of it means for the future of Dan and Phil and whether or not this is the end of an era.

:) Personally, no, I don't think they will split up after the tour. Sure, anything is possible but it doesn't seem probable -- to me anyway.

Although I admit, I haven't been able to come up with a "good" (reasonable in my limited brain) reason for having "DH" merch sold on a site separate from the DanandPhilshop.com. I can see selling different "Dan-themed" and "Phil-themed" things on the DanandPhilshop, just not the reason behind separate shops.

(I'm sure I'm missing something that's really obvious, (other than #phandivorce)
What goes around, comes around Image
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

karma_yeah wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:42 am
twotwelveam wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:14 am We've all seen the mild drama in the phandom lately and the slight freakout that Dan's new independent merch line has caused. None of us know what the hell any of it means for the future of Dan and Phil and whether or not this is the end of an era.

:) Personally, no, I don't think they will split up after the tour. Sure, anything is possible but it doesn't seem probable -- to me anyway.

Although I admit, I haven't been able to come up with a "good" (reasonable in my limited brain) reason for having "DH" merch sold on a site separate from the DanandPhilshop.com. I can see selling different "Dan-themed" and "Phil-themed" things on the DanandPhilshop, just not the reason behind separate shops.

(I'm sure I'm missing something that's really obvious, (other than #phandivorce)
the DH shop is still under IRL, which DnP both own (along with Martyn)
the whole "phan divorce" thing is either a ridiculous funny joke to me, or worrying that people actually think that getting separate merch means splitting ways forever out of nowhere? he's been working on it (or at least had the idea) since 2015. if they were that aching to get away from each other then they wouldn't get an expensive ass beautifully furnished apartment and they sure as hell wouldn't be going on tour together.
(oof sorry this sounds aggressive, i promise it isn't!)
plus, they announced that new DnP joint merch is coming soon in their newsletter!!!!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I mean, merch is what generates a good portion of their income, and creating separate shops for their main channel ~aesthetics is only going to expand on that. Having them separate from the joint shop makes it easier for casual viewers (or people who don't like the double act aspect of their careers/phan) to have a focused space to browse products that relate to the content on their main channels, instead of having to dig through the joint shop.

Also I swear I'm like this close to blacklisting #phandivorce. There just aren't enough people making decent jokes about it to cancel out all the eye-rolling I've been doing (and this isn't aimed at anyone I've quoted; it's just something I've been thinking about every time I see that goddamn tag)
onomatopoeia
squish

i've been thinking maybe they just decided that they want danandphilshop to be for joint merch, and each open another shop for their own merch? if you look at the things sold on dnpshop rn, all of them are joint. besides the fact that they'll gain triple the amount of shipping fee (i can see right through your tactics capita£ester :lol: ), maybe it's just easier for ppl to find stuff?
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

it makes less sense to me for dan to have his merch on the dan and phil shop...from a branding perspective, and from a personal one. whatever he puts out under his own name is his and not related to phil, or dan & phil, the entity (financially and practically, in terms of marketing and crossover audience though, yes, it's all related).

i have no idea how phil feels because he rarely lets us in, but dan seems to need to maintain and present his own identity quite separately whether it's making him money or not. it makes sense from the perspective of how he got his start in the business, and the very little time he was actually on his own between leaving his family and spending his every day with another person (you could argue, there was actually no real period of time). there's a psychological preoccupation there, and i think from it there are fruitful things to be had because the popularity of 'dan and phil' is what they each bring to the table. if they stop bringing different things, they stagnate and become a couple that parrots one another. they're more similar than they are different, in my opinion, but their differences are rather stark. i actually see dan's shifting tastes and chameleon nature as one of those differences, in itself, so the dark black branding to begin with as a base was predictable but not disappointing to me. i like the designs, they're restrained and very basic and not taking risk, which is clever. he could find joy in expressing himself with beautiful things that are radically different in the future, reflecting his changing aesthetics.
there's an argument to be made about soulless capitalist materialist product with no content to back it up, but i don't think they need to exist exclusively. everyone gets cold, everyone needs a hoodie.
onomatopoeia wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:59 am besides the fact that they'll gain triple the amount of shipping fee (i can see right through your tactics capita£ester :lol: )
scrap everything i said, this is way more likely :rofl:
art in avatar by lily
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I literally have no idea what people mean when they say “ plan to break up or split up after tour” what does that even mean? If you believe their in a romantic relationship not platonic what on earth would make you think making separate merch means they are no longer in a relationship? Iv seen this so much on tumblr and I don’t get it. You guys think they like have a date that they have set to break up?!?! Maybe you guys are right maybe they planned this whole thing from the start and they plan on breaking up on the day they met 9 years ago :shrug: if they move apart after tour it’s because they never were anything more than platonic in the first place not because they have been “planning” to break up.
autumnhearth
senpai

The splitting up thing is ridiculous. The individual merch makes sense and I understand the aesthetics behind having separate shops. My only complaint is a practical one: If I want to order merch from both shops at the same time, I’m guessing I can’t combine shipping (I would assume that they are coming from the same place). This came up the other day when my son decided he wanted a pixel people phone case for the old phone I was passing down to him. He also wants a black flower crown, but I decided to wait on that and hope they are available at II because I didn’t want to pay double shipping on two $5 items.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

DnP watched the newst Riverdale episode today, they liked the same tweet lol.

also, they're liking the same tweets a lot lately, like the one of PJ talking about how long Luigi's flaccid penis is??
I'm interested in that conversation.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ratlad wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:23 pm DnP watched the newst Riverdale episode today, they liked the same tweet lol.

also, they're liking the same tweets a lot lately, like the one of PJ talking about how long Luigi's flaccid penis is??
lmao I saw the luigi one - that's hilarious.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I was searching for travel vlogs about Manchester earlier today, and since the Manchester DITL was the first video recommended to me, I decided to watch it for a change and discovered that it's the sixth anniversary of that video today. I hope we'll get a new DITL soon.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

ratlad wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:23 pm DnP watched the newst Riverdale episode today, they liked the same tweet lol.