Dan & Phil Part 68: The Quiffening

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

Love love love it! Their cakes aren’t bad, Grace’s turned out lovely. The gingerbread men are a bit informal, but they have a strong dungaree theme with Mario, Luigi and Pastel Dan. They look particularly nice in the less posed pics. And the whole thing just make me a bit teary. We introduced my mom to Dan and Phil through pastel edits and Easter baking and she was giggling quite a bit and said they were quite witty and good with words. I wonder what they will be baking and what the joke or gimmick will be.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

flarequake wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:14 pm Omfg that is the cutest Make a Wish activity I’ve seen them do, I think it beats even the meerkats just for sweet wholesomeness. I’m glad they showed off the finished product, I wasn’t sure what Phil’s purple blob could be. I think Dan’s is a poppy, btw.
It think it’s a misshapen poppy but thought it was an eye for a while . I find Phils rabbit really cute.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

So I'm thinking of seeing TIIT, but I don't want to buy my ticket until I hear feedback from their first show in Brighton (max social anxiety = extreme dislike of surprises/need for general idea)... What do you think the possibility is of me finding a ticket for somewhere here in Britain as London is already sold out that close to the show dates?
DatCog
blobfish

SHITiveHITtheFANdom wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:21 pm So I'm thinking of seeing TIIT, but I don't want to buy my ticket until I hear feedback from their first show in Brighton (max social anxiety = extreme dislike of surprises/need for general idea)... What do you think the possibility is of me finding a ticket for somewhere here in Britain as London is already sold out that close to the show dates?
Pretty good I'd say (not VIP but general tickets). Last time we had a ticket update on here, there still seemed to be quite a few on sale at a range of UK venues but that was a few weeks ago. I've got spare Plymouth tickets which I can't put on Twickets until they get sent out to me 2 weeks before the show if you fancy making the trip all the way down there!
autumnhearth
senpai

Oh my, someone on Tumblr suggested that the creation of a DanandPhilBAKE(s) channel be the prank. Pretty please! Or you know it could just be on Dan’s channel. He needs the views.
DatCog
blobfish

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:33 pm Oh my, someone on Tumblr suggested that the creation of a DanandPhilBAKE(s) channel be the prank. Pretty please! Or you know it could just be on Dan’s channel. He needs the views.
That would be so perfect!! I'll be sad if it doesn't happen now :lol:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i love those pics! i thought dan's cookie was of Bob the Builder but i guess not lmao.
i love when they do Make a Wish :love2:

for easter baking, i think it might be satanic easter baking, or dan's gonna do a "wholesome howell" schtick and say it's rebrand 2.0 and that he's turning his channel into a baking channel.
could we also get one on phil's channel??? what about a gaming vid? oohh, an interactive easter baking prank? please......
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm so torn because I love the idea of danandphilBAKES but also I'm a firm believer in the fact that it's not a good prank if people can guess exactly what the prank will be beforehand. (Unless it's something like the crafts channel, which had a narrative arc).
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:50 pm Easter baking confirmed! And this is super cute! Now the real question is: will this year's baking feature something demonic?
I just love this so much. Also - I'm so impressed with Phil's bunny? The fuq? Where was this talent when they made cake pops??? Meringues? Bless Dan, but his cake looks like an irritated eyeball.
Sunshine
phillion/danosaur <//3

I can’t see them combining Easter and demons. I know neither of them is religious, but I think demons at Easter is a little bit too offensive/tasteless!
fancybum
senpai

Sunshine wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:50 pm I can’t see them combining Easter and demons. I know neither of them is religious, but I think demons at Easter is a little bit too offensive/tasteless!
We're talking about their baking here; it'll end up tasteless either way. Let some demons zazz it up.

What I think they should actually do though is recreate the cake Colin destroyed and prove to us it wasn't just a pile of cardboard.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
sonicgreen
woodland creature

rizzo wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 pm I just love this so much. Also - I'm so impressed with Phil's bunny? The fuq? Where was this talent when they made cake pops??? Meringues?
plot twist, phil is actually a flawless baker and just exaggerates baking fails for views. :illuminati: all those seasons of bake off and masterchef really paid off.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Content is so slowwww.
It's been a couple of days (so it's the ancient past in fandom terms ;) ) but here's some things that stuck with me from watching Dan and Phil playing cards against humanity.

The Good
D&P playing board games feels like a good setup in general for the things they do. I like the natural flow and structure it gives to their banter. When they are forced to answer questions and speculate it works even better since they can land on some more original topics. I love to get to hear their line on thinking, especially when they're forced to go a bit off the beaten path.
CAH has all the right elements. Dark humor, sexual themes, competition: it's what they're good at and it's what I like to hear them talk about. Their answers were rather tame and they kept censoring themselves. Even announcing the video as "the end of their career with typical Dan self-awareness. Still, they managed to keep it funny, even if they were clearly playing with the brakes on.
They both seemed to be in good spirits and while i haven't counted the glances they threw at each other, their friendship shined through the whole video. They're so tuned in to each other's sense of humor and always seems to be interested in the each ohter's way of thinking. And it's sweet of Phil to help with the spon of Dan's merch. All in all the video just left me with a warm feeling and that's just one of those D&P superpowers :P

The Bad
Way to short to the 10 minutes advertisement criterium. They could have easily played a second game at least come on guys this content isn't exactly hard :D

The Ugly
One thing I noticed i that saddened me is that they were both taking zero chances at all with the audience. Phil flat out said a couple of times 'i can't say this'. I don't actually believe he is so sensitive that he wouldn't like to use the card. The only reason I see is that he's still clutching to the Safe Phil TM public image.
But it was even more noticeable to me how much Dan was making sure he'd do all the right things some of him expect. Giving Phil the points like he wouldn't if they weren't filming. Making no riqué joke at all. That's really something that lessened the appeal of the video for me. I've got a sense that Dan is currently giving up a bit on trying to show us a bit more of his real personality. I can see why, he's not dumb, he sees how much easier it can be to just act like Phil and censor the parts of him that tend to get more criticized. But that's exactly the opposite direction i want to see him move too.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
flurry
living flop

Hi guys,

A few of the TBC dates go on sale today but I also wonder exactly what the show will entail. Like another poster here, I'm also hesitant until I know exactly what this show is about. If it's going to be a room of people screaming at two guys far away on stage, I'm not sure I really want to see that. Wonder if anyone can share their experience at Tatinof? I'm probably a bit older than the age group that the vast majority of Dan and Phil fans come from (except this forum which honestly is an anomaly in terms of age group) and it might not be my idea of a good time to watch people screaming at someone else I like.
disenchanted
smol bean

I just got VIP for Mumbai!! I'm dead.

(Also hi, full-time lurker here. Just had to share because I'm so excited ahhh)
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Hey, i think you're not the only one wondering what exactly the show will entail. The concept is pretty vague. My bet is the show will be extremely personalty driven (to point out the bloody obvious) so I expect them to basically just bant a bit about themselves and their lives? So far there's been no hint of any sort of overarching narrative. I suppose they could put a lot of what they tell us under the umbrella of "two awkward friends making youtube videos and unexpectedly making that their full-time job, getting asked to do radio shows and speak at conventions all while they 'secretly' just want to watch anime and play games because they are house-dwelling, sun-fearing nerds". That's kind of the extent of the only story arch I can see so far, lest they have a lot of things prepared. Which could be the case, but according to Phil's last show they haven't really prepared much of the content for the show yet, as he said something akin to wanting to involve us more into the making of the show (since there's no specific docu about it now), but he let on that so far they haven't done so much that he would make a video of.
Reading their tour site, "Audience participation" of some sort must also be a bit of a theme but it's hard to say just what they have in mind. Perhaps it's a show where people can decide what direction a scene/story takes, a bit like the fanfic part of TATINOF?

As far as the atmosphere goes in the live shows, I've only seen a couple of clips of audience members filming the stage, and there's definitely a some (muted) screaming and general exuberance for every little move they make, but I haven't seen the show yet being turned into a shouting fest reminiscent of Beatlemania :-p

@disenchanted Congrats !
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

While we’re waiting for Easter baking I thought I’d recommend Tom Daleys which is hilarious. If the boys one is anywhere as snarky we’ll be in for a treat. I know it’s off topic but my excuse is that they’ve mentioned Tom :lol:

Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
obvsly
#relatable

disenchanted wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:48 am I just got VIP for Mumbai!! I'm dead.

Congratsssss! I know EXACTLY how you feel. :lol: I just got VIP tickets for Singapore myself! The first 3 minutes after tickets went on sale were both the longest and shortest moment of my life! My hands were shaking the whole time and I couldn't fill in the card info correctly at first. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. When everything was finally done, I noticed all the VIP tickets were gone. Wow. 3 minutes. And in a non-english speaking country. I'm happy for them.
kavat
pastel persona

Based on what they've said so far my interpretation is that it's going to be like stand-up comedy show but with certain interactive bits. Probably prompts of sorts that the audience can submit beforehand (at tatinof there were suggestion boxes in the lobby before the show). Like a mix of stand-up and improv maybe?

There was quite the bit of screaming at tatinof. I had a seat by the isle pretty far back so it wasn't overwhelming but it was still a bit annoying. Deppy themselves encouraged it a bit by asking people to cheer for different plots of the fanfic segment. Hopefully there will be less of that at II.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Congrats to you @obvsly ! . Wow 3 minutes... I wondered whether Dan and Phil had the level of fame they needed to make large crowds turn up in these countries that sometimes are the size of continents and where (I imagine) it's not that evident for a (young) fan to be able to (make their parents) spend a sizeable chunk of money on two youtubers. I guess this answers my question. It would be interesting to have some statistics on the kind of demographics that attend their show in different places.

Hm. I was thinking about Singapore and Malaysia. I've only heard bits about the country here and there, but I remember Malaysia being very strict on thing like littering, drugs and... public affection. Especially anything that could be linked to homosexual attraction. Do you think there might be some criticism or even a risk of authorities (religious or otherwise) picking on Dan and Phil and the show for indecency (or whatever grounds get used)?
disenchanted
smol bean

obvsly wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:27 am
disenchanted wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:48 am I just got VIP for Mumbai!! I'm dead.

Congratsssss! I know EXACTLY how you feel. :lol: I just got VIP tickets for Singapore myself! The first 3 minutes after tickets went on sale were both the longest and shortest moment of my life! My hands were shaking the whole time and I couldn't fill in the card info correctly at first. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. When everything was finally done, I noticed all the VIP tickets were gone. Wow. 3 minutes. And in a non-english speaking country. I'm happy for them.
Yay! Congrats to you too!! :D
I spent an hour watching the timer on the site count down and literally could not sit still! I walked around my house doing nothing because I was so anxious about not getting a ticket!
Not sure what happened with the site because I was able to add the VIP ticket to my cart last night, then the option disappeared and the timer showed up but the ticket was still in my cart today. (Read on twitter that some people were able to get tickets last night apparently??) 2 minutes before 4pm, I tried going to my cart again and I was able to make the payment just as it turned 4. A couple minutes later I checked and ALL the VIP were gone!

*edited coz typos
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Congrats to people who got tickets especially VIP. I’m not surprised they sold out so fast, there are about 100 each time I think and that’s not that many.

I doubt there’d be any affectionate touching onstage in the show to bother any homophobic laws. In Tatinof there was only the vaguest bit in the fanfic section, otherwise it was the hints in the story about sharing the tent/feeding the cake and it was pretty double-entendre. Otherwise maybe just doing each others’ whiskers? It’s a stretch imo. Also they’re not daft, I doubt they’re not aware of things like that, I think they’ll have read up on the laws of each place.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I find the blue theme really quite nice. And congrats to everyone who got tickets!!
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

I'm already so used to the quiff lmao, seeing Phil's fringe in that poster made me do a double take
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

snokoplasmic wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:35 pm I'm already so used to the quiff lmao, seeing Phil's fringe in that poster made me do a double take
Same!! I really hope they do a new round of promo photos before the actual tour, I need Phil's new hair to take it's rightful starring place.