Dan & Phil Part 68: The Quiffening

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
loonyradish
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

watsonian wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:59 pm
TheHomosexualAgenda wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:12 pm
flurry wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:53 pm
firsttimeposter wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:49 pm Okay so I'm 100% sure they had someone else edit this video. It had no dnp personality to it! There were so many jumpcuts, and what they left in was nothing but the actual baking (which isn't that fun when they do it well lmao) and a bit of bants, I guess. Compared to halloween baking 2016, you could definitely see the difference in editing. I'm not saying it was bad editing, it was /more/ editing than ever, but imo it was quite generic.
I'm sorry to be this negative, and maybe it's just me being me lol, but it didn't quite feel like the fun and "homemade" content we're used to. I know this is a very unpopular opinion, especially with this video which I don't quite understand?? Everyone is saying how flirty and natural it is, but nah mate, I see the complete opposite. There were some moments I liked, the small bants that WERE included, but this really seems like a video I want the directors cut of (the directors being dnp), or 'bloopers' or w/e. They both looked real good though, and their baking was very good though it was pretty much the same as 2015's halloween.
I feel as though phil and dan have swapped their energies around this year, phil is f*cking zazzed and seems quite flirty nowadays, and dan is kinda moody which is fine and cool cause it's his branding, if just he stops taking it out on phil all the time hmm.
Overall it was a fine video, I just wish they would edit their videos again.
OMG this is exactly what I thought! I really wondered if this was professionally done because everything seems so clear and well lit and cleanly done and it just doesn't have that old school homemade youtuber doing everything themselves feel. I enjoyed the video and it was cute but I also really wondered if someone else was behind the camera or someone else did the editing. I didn't comment on this so much when Dan brought it up but my first thought was "bye - the day they have a professional crew filming them like something out of Good Mythical Morning (which I do like by the way) I'm out of here" - not saying that's what happened here but it certainly feels a bit like it? Wonder what everyone else thinks!

Negativity aside (it's not really negative, more like a niggling feeling or observation), I did actually enjoy the video and I always like them baking anyway.
I agree with both of you guys, it just felt different and more...clean and empty? Idk how to really explain it, but it felt more like something you'd see on the Food Network rather than something Phil would make? The whole reason I enjoyed previous baking videos is that they messed things up and were a bit confused, which while it started to become a slightly overdone trope, it was more real. Part of what gave it its charm was that they showed us the countertop and documented everything they messed up did to make it. Let's be real, I didn't watch that video (or any of their baking videos) to learn how to make biscuits, because there are other channels/websites which are easier to follow and better in that regard, I watched that video for entertainment and to have a laugh. And I feel like I found maybe 12% of the video entertaining, rather than the usual 75-87%. (These statistics were pulled out of my ass but I think they helped get my point across :lol: )
Besides the crafty editing, I feel like some of the strangeness people are experiencing with the fursuit roleplay video in which they also bake could have been due to the the clips being out of order? Like when they 'preheat' the oven at 15:37 you can see finished cookies in the reflection of the glass. The Delia Smith and 'you need sticks' bits were filmed before intermission but after rolling the dough and PIGEON PIGEON I SEE A PIGEON

sorry

That actually reminds me that 1. They moved their plant around to be more in shot what adorable dorks. and 2, what is the little bobble head like creature in the plant base while they're decorating? Merch?

it's my spring break dont judge me this is what i want to do with my time this and invisible pigeons
The clips are incredibly out of order actually! They constantly jump back and forth (I made a whole timestamp list, see below).
And I agree that that's playing into the video feeling weirdly "generic". It does make it feel kind of like they made some jokes and banter for the camera, and then just decided on the best ones and smashed them together. (I'm sounding incredibly negative here; I did like the video? But it just had a different vibe; not necessarily bad, just different. Less personal, I guess.)

Here are the timestamps with the time shown on the oven:
0:21 - 14:58
1:05 -15:00
1:15 - 15:40
1:36 - 15:00
2:52 - 15:08
2:54 - 15:05
3:30 - 15:29
3:44 - 15:40
3:57 - 15:09
4:30 - 15:37
5:34 - 15:19
6:21 - 15:33
6:34 - 15:25
7:07 - 15:30
8:46 - 15:46
9:25 - 16:03
10:14 - 16:02
12:00 - 16:23
16:00 - 16:57
Then on the other hand, maybe they edit all their videos in this kinda "jumpy" way, and we just don't have a clock in the background to see it.
It's also interesting how much time they spent on making this!

In other news, I'm enjoying the pigeon ls way too much
malday
emo goose

I :shock: ... can't believe they would do that live on stream, they can't take this back now it was live.
alien
procrastinator

I really want to know where the jazz music is coming from. I really hope it's just some random person down on the street somewhere lol.
knq
lava lamp

loonyradish wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:14 pm
The clips are incredibly out of order actually! They constantly jump back and forth (I made a whole timestamp list, see below).
And I agree that that's playing into the video feeling weirdly "generic". It does make it feel kind of like they made some jokes and banter for the camera, and then just decided on the best ones and smashed them together. (I'm sounding incredibly negative here; I did like the video? But it just had a different vibe; not necessarily bad, just different. Less personal, I guess.)

Here are the timestamps with the time shown on the oven:
0:21 - 14:58
1:05 -15:00
1:15 - 15:40
1:36 - 15:00
2:52 - 15:08
2:54 - 15:05
3:30 - 15:29
3:44 - 15:40
3:57 - 15:09
4:30 - 15:37
5:34 - 15:19
6:21 - 15:33
6:34 - 15:25
7:07 - 15:30
8:46 - 15:46
9:25 - 16:03
10:14 - 16:02
12:00 - 16:23
16:00 - 16:57
Then on the other hand, maybe they edit all their videos in this kinda "jumpy" way, and we just don't have a clock in the background to see it.
It's also interesting how much time they spent on making this!

In other news, I'm enjoying the pigeon ls way too much
Those tasty timestamps. :loveeyes: I was trying to figure out the general order of events yesterday but never quite made sense of it. I did re-watch kneading the dough about 17 times though, so overall I'd say it was worth it.

PINOF often seems very jumpy to me. Maybe it's an Amazing Phil editing thing.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I keep randomly checking into the stream on Phil's tumblr and occasionally refreshing when.... it changed? Am I the only one seeing this? Did Phil update his tumblr layout? :o

ETA: nvm tumblr was glitching and giving me the mobile layout on desktop. how disappointing.
fancybum
senpai

You just know Dan’s going to use this to make fun of us for having no taste or standards and when that time comes... I guess I’ll have to agree but I will not be happy about it :lol:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
starwatersong
phabergé

I’m on board Phil Lester’s Pigeon fest 2018 merch.
autumnhearth
senpai

AroboticPhil wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:31 pm
hello9217 wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:23 pm
rizzo wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:17 pm Guys. I feel like someone else is editing this pigeon feed.
Yeah it definitely doesn't seem the same as previous streams plus I noticed that the noises in this one are different than in previous ones. I think you are onto something
+1. some jumpcuts are definitely suspicious and i might be wrong but this balcony kinda looks like a set ? Because it's pretty small and the pigeons never stay very long there... idk they probably have another real one somewhere else and that's where the birds actually go :tinfoil:
Filming balcony and feeding balcony, obviously. (I love you guys).
obvsly
#relatable

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm kinda sad it ended. :(
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil has finally released us from this 5 hour long pigeon hell.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

omg what was that ending?? god I love phil :love2: :stan: (pretty sure he was holding up a crow tho, not a pigeon...)

how funny would it be if they haru-ed this entire stream lol
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

starwatersong wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm I’m on board Phil Lester’s Pigeon fest 2018 merch.
x2 Phil is the biggest troll out there and that damned ending :rofl:

I watched a bit at the beginning and the last 15 minutes, for the ones that watched the whole 5 hours, how the heck did you do it???
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm a grown woman and I'm baffled as to why I enjoyed that, but also not surprised at all that I did. While nothing will top potato prints, this was so Phil and so random which is what made it so weirdly great to me. (but I'm not complaining that it's over because 5 hours was a lot needless to say) Also the background traffic noises were quite relaxing lol
Last edited by obsessivelymoody on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theseclouds
crusty sponge

That ending was worth it. :D
daichii wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:03 pm I watched a bit at the beginning and the last 15 minutes, for the ones that watched the whole 5 hours, how the heck did you do it???
I had it running in the background (only really checking the tab every half hour or so), and I found the whole audio to be super calming.
Whommel
sofa crease
Pronouns: They/them

starwatersong wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:58 pm I’m on board Phil Lester’s Pigeon fest 2018 merch.
“I survived Pigeon fest 2018 and all I got was the chance to buy this crappy t-shirt” :D
Last edited by Whommel on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I need someone to go and count up all of the bars and figure out how much they made from this "fest". I mean...I watched it OF COURSE...but :lol: :lol: Those bars NEVER STOPPED
alien
procrastinator

fancybum wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:48 pm You just know Dan’s going to use this to make fun of us for having no taste or standards and when that time comes... I guess I’ll have to agree but I will not be happy about it :lol:
Dan can say whatever he wants but I genuinely enjoyed having it on while I went about my morning lol. It was good ambiance while I drank my tea and read stuff online. And Phil at the end had me laughing so I love it.
fancybum
senpai

alien wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:09 pm
fancybum wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:48 pm You just know Dan’s going to use this to make fun of us for having no taste or standards and when that time comes... I guess I’ll have to agree but I will not be happy about it :lol:
Dan can say whatever he wants but I genuinely enjoyed having it on while I went about my morning lol. It was good ambiance while I drank my tea and read stuff online. And Phil at the end had me laughing so I love it.
It was definitely more enjoyable than it had any business being. I don’t know if this was a one-off or the beginning of a new yearly thing, but I vote for live-streaming their washing machine and/or dryer next year.
willowgarden
squish

Now we wait.

We will all suffer when Dan posts a "...hope you enjoyed Pigeonfest!" insta selfie from the balcony doorway with Phil, Martyn, and Cordelia in the bg apartment putting Scrabble and Monopoly back in their boxes.
I don’t know anybody or anything. Please don’t ever talk to me again. Tell everybody to stop talking to me. ~ Kurt Vonnegut
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

In case people missed the ending, I watched for the last 5 minutes only:
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

missemma wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:17 pm In case people missed the ending, I watched for the last 5 minutes only:
Wtf did I just watch? :?
fancybum
senpai

What is life after Pigeon Fest? How do I go on? Now what?

I mean I still have to watch the baking vid, but it’s not going to live up to the Fest. I don’t think anything ever will. It’s all downhill from here.... happy :phaberge: day everyone! Fill the void with chocolate.
OhItsElliott
drama llama
Pronouns: He/him

Hoooboy.

So I haven't been keeping up with the phandom since the new year and pigeon fest was SOMEHOW what has prompted me to come back on this forum since then. Like I woke up, saw a notification that Phil had gone live 4 hours ago, clicked it anyway and caught the last 5 minutes of Phil cawing like a pigeon (I think that's what was happening?!).

I... wish I was more upset about the fact that THAT was what reeled me back in... but tbh I just have to applaud their trolling. Also if anyone does do timestamps for whatever the heck that was I will 100% read them.Good job boys.

Also, hi IDB! It's so nice to read through and see some old usernames again. I hope things haven't changed too drastically while I was away so don't mind me if I'm completely out of the loop on something, like apparently they have an editor now? Wat. I'll just be reading back through all the things I missed in idb and dnp for like the next week or two so don't mind meeee
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I don't know why or what it says about me but I legit laughed hard enough that I shed some tears at the ending (might have something to do with all the chocolate I consumed too, lol)
I'm jealous of people who had time to be there for it all, even with it as background noise
liola
rankussy

Okay I'm sad I missed it can someone give me a highlight of the liveshow please I was hoping they would Idk jump in at some point

Also the idea of them spending Easter together is kinda nice? Isn't Phil usually home for this? Am I getting confused?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor