Dan & Phil Part 68: The Quiffening

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Marika
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: she/her

First of all: i liked the video although I was almost bored at some point. Maybe because i’m still hoping and impatiently waiting for some kind of April’s fool content... but yeah, i’ll rewatch it once i’m back home and got my wi-if.

Anyway! Does anyone else think this might have been filmed way earlier? At around 2:50 Phil introduces the cocoa as “Pixar’s Coco” and says he wished it won an Oscar.
I’m not familiar with the oscars and that movie but... didn’t it get like one or even two oscars? Did Phil miss that because he fell asleep? Was this video filmed before the oscars? Did he forget? Was it just a joke? Is this even important? I don’t know but I can’t stop thinking about it.
so_cheesy
butt chair

I was bored during this video :?

It had many parts that weren’t particularly entertaining or funny or cute just weird. Lots of “Phil says/does something quirky and Dan stares at him mildly annoyed/emotionless”. It didn’t do much for me.

The “Jesus hiding behind the egg rock” convo (1:33) was my first true WTF moment. Why would you keep that in? Oh the cringe.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Some of it was cute (like Phil's face with the butter), some of it was cringe (all the fighting), some of it was a bit boring.
I feel like they tried almost a bit too hard to make every single moment exciting.

And I agree that the editing style has been different for a while. I know a bit about editing/the programs so I can tell that they started doing certain things that they never really did. Like the countdown overlay during the chopstick video, or the random Nickelback clip in the recent gaming video, or the "breaking news" in whatever AP that was, or the distortion effect in this video.
It's both quite different from the effects they have used in the past (the chroma-key'd fireworks or changing up brightness to make a glowing look), and those new things have also been a lot more frequent. It just surprises me cause I would think that they are more busy these days, but the videos seem like they (or an editor) put a lot more time into it.

Edit: oh btw I didn't get the Jesus thing. Can someone explain that to me?
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

It was an alright video for me, deppy being very married with some satanic/DAPC references thrown in, just how I like it, but nothing extraordinary. Didn't notice anything different about the editing (but to think of it, I believe that @swofro is right and we don't see enough of deppy doing things, just the results). However, if I never hear either of them say bow chicka wow wow ever again, it will still be too soon. WHY :(

Shout out to the mods and to the best website ever to have been invented <3
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
so_cheesy
butt chair

LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:24 am
Some of it was cute (like Phil's face with the butter), some of it was cringe (all the fighting), some of it was a bit boring.
I feel like they tried almost a bit too hard to make every single moment exciting.

And I agree that the editing style has been different for a while. I know a bit about editing/the programs so I can tell that they started doing certain things that they never really did. Like the countdown overlay during the chopstick video, or the random Nickelback clip in the recent gaming video, or the "breaking news" in whatever AP that was, or the distortion effect in this video.
It's both quite different from the effects they have used in the past (the chroma-key'd fireworks or changing up brightness to make a glowing look), and those new things have also been a lot more frequent. It just surprises me cause I would think that they are more busy these days, but the videos seem like they (or an editor) put a lot more time into it.
Edit: oh btw I didn't get the Jesus thing. Can someone explain that to me?
When Jesus died he was buried in a cave of rocks. the entrance of his tomb was blocked by a bigger rock (Phil: “”egg rock””). then after 3 days he rose from the dead and that’s what we celebrate on Easter (at least the Christians)

Transcription (1:33)
P: You will need...
D ...Jesus!
P: You don’t need Jesus (laughing)
D: It *is* Easter.
P: Jesus is... Jesus has gone behind the egg hasn’t he? The egg rocK? Then he emerges after... aft... (disappears under table in shame)
I know about religion!
D: *I’m* offended?!... Andddd...
P: That’s why he’s/it’s (jumpcut)

It rubbed me the wrong way. It’s annoyig when Phil pretends to be stupid, especially in this context, even if they acknowledge it...
DatCog
blobfish

I think I'm just echoing a lot of the comments above re. the new vid. I enjoyed it, they both looked really good, there were some funny moments, the recipe turned out very well...it just didn't completely hit the mark for me. I'm not even sure why that was the case...it felt a bit too edited in places perhaps. Will they ever be able to top Monster Pops? There were definitely some references to DAPC which were fun but I'm hopeful they'll also do something today for April Fools, even if it's just a tweet/instagram and not a full video.
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

DatCog wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:17 am There were definitely some references to DAPC which were fun but I'm hopeful they'll also do something today for April Fools, even if it's just a tweet/instagram and not a full video.
Yep, I couldn't see them posting a proper April Fools video now after the baking video :( And where would they even upload it? Afaik they never made proper April Fools videos before the crafting channel and it definitely wouldn't fit into the polished, sophisticated high production value of Danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil already uploaded yesterday (but also more videos = profit so...?). Maybe DAPG could use a terrible video which isn't even barely gaming, just.. them biting the controllers for 10 minutes and 1 second? (Now I actually want that?? Or something else on the gaming channel.) But if they go the insta/twitter route, it must be something huge to replace DAPC... I'm still waiting for the year when their prank is to post "Photoshopped" wedding photos which are suspiciously real-looking, delete them at the end of the day and never talk of it again.
realeyesrealize
living flop

obsessivelymoody
emo goose

realeyesrealize wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:01 am
My favourite part of this is that it's casually scheduled 1 hour after April fool's ends. Oh and of course the fact that it's supposed to be 5 hours of silence.

I don't think anything will top dapc for me, but I can appreciate how much of a shitpost this is.
dancy
procrastinator

I...don't know what to expect.

Anyway, I've been seeing people talking about them getting an editor for a lil' while now and while I do think it's possible (considering the tour is starting soon and it would save time if they didn't have to edit anything themselves) but I honestly haven't really noticed much of a difference editing-wise. Someone did make a video called "THEY HIRED AN EDITOR" in which they pointed out that the word "edit" had been blacklisted in the comment section of their last few gaming videos or something, which was weird but I don’t see it as proof.

I rewatched the video just now and I liked it more the second time round but it still felt a bit off to me. The camera placement which doesn't allow us to see the countertop, lots of baking steps missing and less fumbling, like they were quite familiar with the recipe. I was also under the impression they usually filmed their videos during the evening but around @4:35 you can see they the time was 15:37.
Marika wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 am Anyway! Does anyone else think this might have been filmed way earlier? At around 2:50 Phil introduces the cocoa as “Pixar’s Coco” and says he wished it won an Oscar.
I’m not familiar with the oscars and that movie but... didn’t it get like one or even two oscars? Did Phil miss that because he fell asleep? Was this video filmed before the oscars? Did he forget? Was it just a joke? Is this even important? I don’t know but I can’t stop thinking about it.
Hm, I believe Phil was referring to the tin deserving to win an Oscar, not the film (I don’t how that makes sense but whatever, it's Phil). I also don’t see why they would've filmed it almost a month in advance and Phil also didn't have the quiff yet at that time.
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:28 am
realeyesrealize wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:01 am
My favourite part of this is that it's casually scheduled 1 hour after April fool's ends. Oh and of course the fact that it's supposed to be 5 hours of silence.

I don't think anything will top dapc for me, but I can appreciate how much of a shitpost this is.
Idk, April Fool's ending at 12 isn't a thing in my country and I truly hope and believe that they'll do something in 15 minutes from now :D The joke is a bit short if they don't, they didn't even reply anyone on Twitter. I need full 5 hours of silent bird stream filmed from their window, and afterwards a week of IDB analyzing the reflections and smudges on the glass.
Ablissa
pastel persona

They're actually broadcasting... and I can't link it because reasons :D :D but it's on Phil's YouNow!
Last edited by Ablissa on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

This may be my fave ls they've ever done. ;) :lol:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Finally there are pigeons!
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

For the sake of playing along, I really hope the fandom puts together a "best of" compilation for this. I'm gonna need IDB to have a full-out analysis on the angle of a pigeon's arrival and also reasoning as to why Harold the Pidge is phan poof.

ETA: omg there are actually pigeons. beautiful.
blueskies
phillion/danosaur <//3

holy shit. this has got to be the best thing they've ever done.
animad
squish

I wonder what the set up is for this, like do they have the laptop outside in which case well see them turn it off at some point? or just a webcam with cables into the house? What if it starts raining? I want to know
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

totally official mod announcement: from now on we're pigeon fansite. please respect this decision.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Oh my god I hope someone is getting this right now wow. (And I had no idea April fool's ending at noon wasn't all over the world. Must be some North American thing I guess whoops)
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I am on mobile and can't open the stream anywhere! What's happening??
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:19 pm I am on mobile and can't open the stream anywhere! What's happening??
pigeons.
annabanana
sofa crease

animad wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:19 pm I wonder what the set up is for this, like do they have the laptop outside in which case well see them turn it off at some point? or just a webcam with cables into the house? What if it starts raining? I want to know
You could see a hand at the beginning clicking on the laptop! And it's definitely outside because you can hear all of the pigeon/nature/traffic noises.
Have a red velvet cupcake and for fucks sake, dip some toast in your soup. Bye.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

is the livestream like, on a mini play set? are those animated pigeons? what the hell?

also, i don't get why people are saying the baking vid seems unnatural and forced? i think they just act like 2 dorks together naturally tbh.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
kavat
pastel persona

Catallena wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:19 pm totally official mod announcement: from now on we're pigeon fansite. please respect this decision.
This is very valid. All we need now is some pigeon emoticons.
And I'm quite amused by what seems to be the April fools joke here on IDB. :D
Last edited by kavat on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hello9217
flower crown

Honestly this is quite relaxing and made me laugh for a good five minutes. Also people are still literally giving them money in this stream which makes me laugh even more.