Dan & Phil Part 68: The Quiffening

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
firsttimeposter
living flop

ratlad wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:55 pm
firsttimeposter wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:45 pm A small thing I realized in the liveshow was some question about the CAH video, where I think a person asked in what way "being electrocuted and inner thigh caressing" has smth to do with the show, and dan looks angry into the computer and says something like "yeah, the getting electrocuted part!!", as to get "inner thigh caressing (something romantic/sexual about dnp) completely off the table. Hmmm. Judging by the things he has already said about the tour (giving the people what they want,/ living our truth on stage,/ tiit is about our relationship,/ etc), he is being quite contradicting suddenly. Or maybe it's me reading into the smallest, most insignificant moment of the liveshow. You know, I'm always very negative.
he didn't sound contradictory or angry at that at all, what situation would they ever need to do thigh caressing in front of housands of mostly underaged fans? i think he was just laughing rather than anger. i don't think he cares about holding most feelings back at this point.
Hi sorry I'm speaking with broken English as I'm not native, so maybe my intentions weren't as clear as I would've liked them. I'm not really saying he was angry or anything, just that maybe he thought he needed to clarify to the people saying "uhh inner thigh caressing", and in correcting them, he showed a bit of a different mood than what I've seen him having when he has talked of tiit before. Sorry for any confusion, hope this makes my original post clearer. I never thought they'd actually do something sexual/romantic like that, especially not on a stage in their show lmao. I will say though, many of his 'laughing moments' in this liveshow seemed a bit forced, but as he said, he's apparently very good at smiling in situations where he may be feeling sad or uncomfortable, idk of that was the case in this liveshow though.
Last edited by firsttimeposter on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

To change topics slightly, in the live show he talked about getting a visa that would allow him to stay in the US for 3 years. For someone knowledgeable about this, why would he need to do that for this tour and not TATINOF? If he could have gotten the same type of visa for TATINOF I wonder why he didn't since he goes to the US regularly and it seems a hassle to have to get a temporary work visa whenever he comes for conventions and possible Florida trips.
annoying dog
crusty sponge

If anyone's interested, looking at the email Dan got reminded me of a very similar comment I got on some Dan and Phil sims I made a few months ago, so for me the email seems believable

George
sad dimple

Amiaw wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:13 am To change topics slightly, in the live show he talked about getting a visa that would allow him to stay in the US for 3 years. For someone knowledgeable about this, why would he need to do that for this tour and not TATINOF? If he could have gotten the same type of visa for TATINOF I wonder why he didn't since he goes to the US regularly and it seems a hassle to have to get a temporary work visa whenever he comes for conventions and possible Florida trips.
Does this mean they could potentially move to US for few years? I don't have any visa knowledge.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
starwillow
dank meme

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 pm I think my mood is definitely being influenced by a tooth issue I've been having (which probably means I shouldn't be super opinionated online? idk) so :shrug:
You're just trying to live your tooth!
:backawayslowly:
alien
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

lila23 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:07 am Same for me, I don't think he sounded angry at all. He was in a really good mood today.

I loved the "soulmates" part :D . For sure him and Phil are very compatible people ;) (who get on really well and spend all their time together).
I loved this part too and no matter what you think their relationship is it can definitely include Phil. I loved how gentle that part of the ls was.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

George wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:22 am
Amiaw wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:13 am To change topics slightly, in the live show he talked about getting a visa that would allow him to stay in the US for 3 years. For someone knowledgeable about this, why would he need to do that for this tour and not TATINOF? If he could have gotten the same type of visa for TATINOF I wonder why he didn't since he goes to the US regularly and it seems a hassle to have to get a temporary work visa whenever he comes for conventions and possible Florida trips.
Does this mean they could potentially move to US for few years? I don't have any visa knowledge.
I kind of assumed they went for longer visas this time to avoid the issues he's had having to apply to them individually before events.
fancybum
senpai

:lol: (but still, poor Sandra who definitely exists and mostly poor us/ME for having to click like twice as much to watch an old video. TWICE AS MUCH.)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
WrongEraDreamer
phillion/danosaur <//3

Helloooo it's been a while since I posted (..... even if I have only posted like 3 times.....because I'm super shy but.... I'm ALWAYS lurking....)

I just came here to cry over the fact that he unlisted Dan the Dinosaur because it was the video that finally convinced me to subscribe :cry: Like, I know I can still watch it but it just made me feel a bit sad hahahaha

Anyway, I still fully understand and support him. (while now having to do a a few more clicks to re watch certain videos)

Also, I'm a bit down because the tour is coming soon and since they are not coming to my country or somewhere cheap enough for me to travel to I'll just be here seeing the pictures and craving to be there. (But that is not relevant, just needed to say it somewhere)

and no one asked, but his comment "I'm high functioning many things" just had a deep echo in my heart and just #same
knq
lava lamp

Random bit from Dan's livestream: It is apparently relevant background information worth interrupting his story for to know that, when Dan had norovirus and woke up in the morning, Phil was up north visiting his parents.

Dan was sick and Phil wasn't there. Hard life, man.

I just think that's cute. Like, I know people have quite different reactions and needs when sick, and I'm one of those who just wants to be left alone, but I'm guessing Dan isn't at all.
autumnhearth
senpai

So now that the unlisting and privations is sorted I did want to say that I thought Dan was really lovely in this ls. He started off by saying how doing liveshows fulfilled a social need of his and I felt like he was very honest about this a similar aspects of his personality like how being introverted affects his productivity and was positive about content flow for the tour. I do want to rewatch the bit about furries because I wa confused as to whether he was being discreet or distancing himself a bit when he said that people didn’t want to hear more about it but he also wanted to make sure that his jokes weren’t mistaken for putting down furries. Any thoughts on that?
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i’m just gonna rehash what’s already been said here but i too am chill with whatever he wants to delete/unlist. if this is what it takes to get him to a place where he can finally feel at peace with himself/his channel then props to him (plus it’s not like it’s not all still available online elsewhere. the internet is forever etc.) + lbr, some of his old videos were dodgy af

i do think he’s preparing for his 2019 and beyond life which may branch off into non youtube projects in which those older videos with offensive and disrespectful slurs etc. wouldn’t jam well with whatever projects he may take on and they obv don’t jam well with who he’s grown to be so yk kudos to him

also, he does get minor props from me for finally deleting that gross old video w/ alex day in it despite the fact that it should have been done 4 years ago and it took a flood in his mentions to get him to actually do it. charlie finally has justice

what is worth noting that he made clear in his live show, at least to me, is that dan still does not have the majority audience he wants to have. i do think he’s trying to make a move in at least verging in that direction especially in his post tour content. he deleted his videos, at least in part, because he wants to be srs bsns and to be taken as a Serious Content Creator by taking his channel in a /somewhat/ new direction and letting go of (getting rid of?) past stuff. comments like “i dont believe we have souls” is something i wish he’d make videos about and back up his claims with valid reasons and explanations bc we’ve heard snippets of his general belief system over the years but they’ve never been delved into or expanded upon and i’d hope he goes into some of those one day. you can see dan being subscribed to and interested in people like contrapoints, like olly from philosophytube etc. & so i could see him attempting at the very least to make more content in that sphere and world of ideas and through that potentially shifting his audience which he apparently (potentially) wants to do.

i dont think ~sandra~ as a person specifically in the world exists and he did what he always does where he makes up names from the chat to bring up a topic he wants to bring up. plus, internet culture is always evolving and rawr xd has evolved into smol bean culture so the rawr XD manner in which he described the email defo made it over the top unbelieve to me. in saying that, he was using ‘her’ as a scapegoat to talk about a wider ~problem, or what he perceives to be a problem, which is that he does get comments like that which are unironic. he was, therefore, actually shitting on a portion of his viewers however small which, yes, is a dick move. he, in my opinion, should have taken more responsibility in his decision to delete the videos rather than placing that on his audience

also, i’m intrigued about that video in june which sounds like he has a v specific plan and goal for it inc a quite targeted date for when he’s going to post it. the way he described it defo throws back to how he described the rebrand video in the months before that was uploaded:

“there was a video that i was going to post because after my meme video, you know, i did that, uh, trying to live my truth video and i was heading forward with a lot of intent and then i was going to make another video but i thought about it a lot, i probably spent a bit too much time thinking about it, and i've now decided cause there’s a lot of other stuff to do, a lot of tour stuff, i wanna start talking about some other cool things, um, i might upload this video in a couple months say june some time around my birthday or after, nothing to do with my birthday it's just a good time”

i have my own thoughts on what this video m a y potentially be but i won’t say it in explicit terms for fear of pitch forks and indirects :tu: also intrigued as to what "some other cool things” refers to
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

idk wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 ami’m just gonna rehash what’s already been said here but i too am chill with whatever he wants to delete/unlist. if this is what it takes to get him to a place where he can finally feel at peace with himself/his channel then props to him (plus it’s not like it’s not all still available online elsewhere. the internet is forever etc.) + lbr, some of his old videos were dodgy af

i do think he’s preparing for his 2019 and beyond life which may branch off into non youtube projects in which those older videos with offensive and disrespectful slurs etc. wouldn’t jam well with whatever projects he may take on and they obv don’t jam well with who he’s grown to be so yk kudos to him

also, he does get minor props from me for finally deleting that gross old video w/ alex day in it despite the fact that it should have been done 4 years ago and it took a flood in his mentions to get him to actually do it. charlie finally has justice
+1 to all of this. I'm just summing you up here, but: I'm not bothered by Dan making his channel into what he wants to be the representation of who he is today. We've all got the ability to self-edit our own past on social media; if I used slurs ten years ago on twitter, I wouldn't feel obligated to leave them up. I can't understand his motivation for every single video but I haven't rewatched most of them. I'll trust that he had a reason and respect that, even if the reason is just that he doesn't like how he comes across or feels like it was "tacky." I'd feel differently if he were somehow wiping them away from the internet for all time - but he's not. We can all still access these videos so this is less about losing "phan history" and more just about... Dan.
idk wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 am what is worth noting that he made clear in his live show, at least to me, is that dan still does not have the majority audience he wants to have. i do think he’s trying to make a move in at least verging in that direction especially in his post tour content. he deleted his videos, at least in part, because he wants to be srs bsns and to be taken as a Serious Content Creator by taking his channel in a /somewhat/ new direction and letting go of (getting rid of?) past stuff. comments like “i dont believe we have souls” is something i wish he’d make videos about and back up his claims with valid reasons and explanations bc we’ve heard snippets of his general belief system over the years but they’ve never been delved into or expanded upon and i’d hope he goes into some of those one day. you can see dan being subscribed to and interested in people like contrapoints, like olly from philosophytube etc. & so i could see him attempting at the very least to make more content in that sphere and world of ideas and through that potentially shifting his audience which he apparently (potentially) wants to do.

i dont think ~sandra~ as a person specifically in the world exists and he did what he always does where he makes up names from the chat to bring up a topic he wants to bring up. plus, internet culture is always evolving and rawr xd has evolved into smol bean culture so the rawr XD manner in which he described the email defo made it over the top unbelieve to me. in saying that, he was using ‘her’ as a scapegoat to talk about a wider ~problem, or what he perceives to be a problem, which is that he does get comments like that which are unironic. he was, therefore, actually shitting on a portion of his viewers however small which, yes, is a dick move. he, in my opinion, should have taken more responsibility in his decision to delete the videos rather than placing that on his audience
I feel like this is the root of why a lot of people are upset. I think people like the idea of some superficial change as Dan grows (which - he started when he was 18, growth was always going to happen and it would be really fucking sad if it didn't) in how he looks or in talking about more adult oriented things, but also feel very strongly protective of the things they associate with why they became interested him in the first place. I'm not unsympathetic to that, but I think Dan is not someone who has the type of personality that can easily juggle respecting nostalgia from the past with being who he wants to be today. Lots of people can - he can't. Remember that last radio show? Remember how Phil was teeming with pride and all Dan could talk about was how awful they were? He will probably go through his entire life with crippling regret for whatever phase he's already left behind or in the process of leaving behind. But in this instance it happens that his inability to cope with his own past happens to align with some actually, objectively crappy shit that it's better for him to not have preserved under the umbrella of his brand.

But strongly agree that he should have taken responsibility for the decision rather than make up an outlandish email. I think the email was so over the top that he assumed most people reading wouldn't associate with it and therefore wouldn't be offended, but it was narrow thinking and the cowardly way out of it. He deserves to get some level of shit for that, but I think personally I can separate pride/pleasure with the end result (him distancing from problematic things) with dislike for the method (scapegoating a fan, even fictional).
idk wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 amalso, i’m intrigued about that video in june which sounds like he has a v specific plan and goal for it inc a quite targeted date for when he’s going to post it. the way he described it defo throws back to how he described the rebrand video in the months before that was uploaded:

“there was a video that i was going to post because after my meme video, you know, i did that, uh, trying to live my truth video and i was heading forward with a lot of intent and then i was going to make another video but i thought about it a lot, i probably spent a bit too much time thinking about it, and i've now decided cause there’s a lot of other stuff to do, a lot of tour stuff, i wanna start talking about some other cool things, um, i might upload this video in a couple months say june some time around my birthday or after, nothing to do with my birthday it's just a good time”

i have my own thoughts on what this video m a y potentially be but i won’t say it in explicit terms for fear of pitch forks and indirects :tu: also intrigued as to what "some other cool things” refers to
Yeahh. I too have some thoughts and I too feel too wary to say them. June is an interesting month for him to already have landed on, though.
hello9217
flower crown

The whole part about the video is something I wish he wouldn't have talked about just because it brings about a lot of speculation that can lead to disappointment but I cannot imagine it being an earth shattering video only because it would be mid-tour at that time. I did find it interesting that when someone asked when the next dinof was though he brought up this video and then never said when he planned on uploading next. He did mention a new tour video coming out so maybe that is what's next, although aren't those usually unlisted videos?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 pm "OPINIONS" was one of the first Dan videos I remember watching and really loving before I went into full stan mode, and wow I am weirdly really not a fan of the title change. I don't understand why he changed it to what he changed it to. Like, I get the "spoilers" one because it specifies the topic of the video more, but the title he changed "opinions" to is just awful and weird.
Agreed on this. I don't have much opinion on him unlisting/deleting videos, because they're all still easily accessible to us anyway so I personally don't really care. My only opinion would be - good for him for deleting the problematic stuff. But yes, I don't know why he changed the title of the video. I mean, I assume it's to get more views with a 'catchier' title or something along those lines, but I liked the title how it was.
autumnhearth wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:51 am So now that the unlisting and privations is sorted I did want to say that I thought Dan was really lovely in this ls. He started off by saying how doing liveshows fulfilled a social need of his and I felt like he was very honest about this a similar aspects of his personality like how being introverted affects his productivity and was positive about content flow for the tour. I do want to rewatch the bit about furries because I wa confused as to whether he was being discreet or distancing himself a bit when he said that people didn’t want to hear more about it but he also wanted to make sure that his jokes weren’t mistaken for putting down furries. Any thoughts on that?
I really enjoyed his honesty about these kinds of things too. He seemed to be in a good mood, willing to share his thoughts, which are the liveshows I enjoy most.

Re: furries - My takeaway was that he didn't want his furry 'jokes' to be misconstrued by anyone, and wanted to make it clear that he doesn't look down on furries and that his jokes aren't mean-spirited. In terms of the 'people don't want to hear more about it' - I took that to mean that he is a furry in some sense, but didn't want to talk about his actual specific furry tendencies (like, what specifically he's into, what he likes about it, etc etc), and was just saying that in a joking way.

This actually kind of relates to a post I made earlier about a quote:

16:50 - "but there we go, character progression, we all like it"

He's so self-aware (and fandom-aware)

which, side note, I timestamped at 16:50, but I just went back now and it's actually at 15:15 now. And both timestamps were from the youtube video, and the original one was from after it was live and uploaded on his channel, with the thumbnail and everything. So.... why did it change? Did he remove something from near the beginning of the video between a few hours ago and now? Is there another possible explanation?

edit: I just checked, and answered my own question - it's because he cut out the Phil stuff at the beginning, after the originally edit and posting of the video (it was already cut a little from the tumblr version - I always check both because I can rarely watch live and want to see what I missed and what he cut - but then was cut even more sometime later). He probably just wanted a clean start, so it's not a big deal or anything, but it was a cute interaction so for anyone who hasn't watched yet, watch the tumblr version for the first few minutes.

Anyways, back to the furry point - I saw this comment as him acknowledging himself acknowledging the furry thing with the audience, both in the aspect of making it clear that he's not being offensive to furries, and also in the aspect of him being more open about himself (e.g. being more open about the furry stuff, whatever that is to him exactly).
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:29 am
idk wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 ami’m just gonna rehash what’s already been said here but i too

Yeahh. I too have some thoughts and I too feel too wary to say them. June is an interesting month for him to already have landed on, though.
I mean, I think most people probably went to the same place of thought. But I can't blame anyone for being cautious/wary of voicing them, with Dan being Dan (and also, like idk mentioned, potential pitchforks). But yeah, definitely an interesting part of the liveshow.
Last edited by greenergrass on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

What can I say that hasn't been already? Just some minor notes from the liveshow that ultimately are unimportant...

- why does he pronounce "mucha gusta" like that? I'm shuddering

- right as he was showing off his fursona (...which is a thing now? cool cool) he said he is lanky and "doesn't look like a model". ...like?? Yes you do shut up

- "I'm terrible at self-promotion" self-awareness.

- "I'm high functioning many things" actually me?

- "I like [Phil's] forehead"... ok :philtrash: (honestly he mentions Phil's hair more than he himself does...)

...and regarding deleting/unlisting old videos...

I get why some of those videos needed to go. Basically, +1 what everyone's been saying. Honestly, what upsets me more than him "erasing phandom history" or whatever is that his greatest motivation for removing some of these vids seems to be that he's legitimately ashamed of or embarrassed of his past (...unless you believe the email thing, which quite frankly, is Dan's email address just available for 11 year olds to use or??)

I get the general sense that he doesn't want people to see his past videos because he's in some way ashamed of them, or rather himself in them. Which makes me feel bad because even if he's changed drastically since his earliest videos, there wasn't too much to regret beyond problematic humor and statements. I definitely relate tho, I really criticize myself too harshly and my perfectionism makes me look back on my past as cringeworthy or embarrassing, rather than simply me growing and developing into the person I am today. I just hope that his motive to remove vids isn't purely self-hate driven, because there was nothing in his past-self worth hating really.
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 am
which, side note, I timestamped at 16:50, but I just went back now and it's actually at 15:15 now. And both timestamps were from the youtube video, and the original one was from after it was live and uploaded on his channel, with the thumbnail and everything. So.... why did it change? Did he remove something from near the beginning of the video between a few hours ago and now? Is there another possible explanation?
yeah, just saw someone talk about that on twitter and checked tumblr vs youtube and he deleted the start with phil's voice cameo :?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

LurkingTrash wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:04 am
whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 am
yeah, just saw someone talk about that on twitter and checked tumblr vs youtube and he deleted the start with phil's voice cameo :?
ahah I literally just finished editing my post with this, but thanks for the answer anyways!
Speedygonz33
squish

I have a theory that Dan is going back to Uni. It makes sense imo with the deleting possibly offensive, immature things he’s said in the past and with wanting to announce something in June. I mean, he even tied the video with “Trying To Live My Truth” which mentions it. Idk it may be a stretch but it’s just a theory.
hello9217
flower crown

Speedygonz33 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 am I have a theory that Dan is going back to Uni. It makes sense imo with the deleting possibly offensive, immature things he’s said in the past and with wanting to announce something in June. I mean, he even tied the video with “Trying To Live My Truth” which mentions it. Idk it may be a stretch but it’s just a theory.
Trust me with all the theories that I know people will be thinking I will gladly hop on this one and it actually seems pretty logical. I think dan would actually thoroughly enjoy going back to uni
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

watsonian wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:13 am Random bit from Dan's livestream: It is apparently relevant background information worth interrupting his story for to know that, when Dan had norovirus and woke up in the morning, Phil was up north visiting his parents.

Dan was sick and Phil wasn't there. Hard life, man.

I just think that's cute. Like, I know people have quite different reactions and needs when sick, and I'm one of those who just wants to be left alone, but I'm guessing Dan isn't at all.
when he said that i just smiled and rolled my eyes (fondly)
im gonna say something that's annoyingly demon: when he said "i got in the bed"
the bed.
it means absolutely nothing, i know. it's just interesting and cute.
sounds like he was expecting phil to be there when he woke up...
okay i'm sorry i'll stop.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
fancybum
senpai

:cactus: Phil and Misc Watch 2018 :cinnamon:
Why I Deleted Some Old Videos (April 4, 2018)

Prompted Phil Mention
8:32 (while looking up his terrible hair pics) “and ‘Dan and Phil Regret’ is the title of this pinterest post”

44:45 (chat) I can’t wait to see you and Philly at Reading
“Mm-hm”

31:40 (chat) Talk about Phil’s rebranding
“Rebranding? What, his hair? What do you think of Phil’s hair? Phil’s hair decision? He’s trying out not having a fringe.”
32:06 “Phil has a nice forehead. The light reflection clearly doesn’t work for me, but I think it’s working for him.”
-please nobody let Dan write his own vows, one day, hypothetically
Unprompted Phil Mention
34:37 “Tell you what, something that happened a few weeks ago, I got norovirus. Yeah that was fun, that went around.”
“and I woke up one morning, and I was like—Phil had gone to visit his family up North—and I was just like, um, ok [and went into proactive Kill The Virus mode of fluids and heat etc my god he talks so much].”

35:50 [but anyway, while sick, he found:] “a YTer called ContraPoints, who is my new favourite YTer. And I watched all of her videos from the very beginning of her channel to now in one day, which I’m sure some of you relate to”
-well I hope she deletes 20 of them immediately and he never sees them again
Neutral Phil Mention
1:08 “A lot of people were expecting the return of DanAndPhilCRAFTS even though we said 3 is a good number and it felt time to move on from DAPC; we wanted to do something different—maybe not another video ‘cause we’ve done that—me and Phil we were sat there, we were brainstorming funny ideas for April Fool’s things we could do, and then Phil suggested ‘why don’t we just livestream some pigeons outside and call it Pigeon Fest’ and then I said ‘no, that’s a terrible idea’. “Me and Phil” says everybody. Yeah. And then, you know, he wouldn’t stop persisting and then there we go. So on April Fool’s day we ended up streaming pigeons for 5 hours. Or should I say 5 pigeons.”
-2018 peaked right there tbh

2:10 “There was a child outside with a loaf of bread and Phil just couldn’t compete with that on any level, so what is usually a true festival of pigeons was this time a small pigeon tea party, which I thought was even more hilarious because after a couple hours, I had to go home to spend Easter with my family and just left Phil to do it”

30:07 (chat) that CAH video on DanAndPhilGAMES was so funny
“Thank you. If you haven’t seen on DAPG, there have been some good, solidly entertaining videos that I truly recommend for any human”
31:26 “We got lucky that there weren’t [too many horrendously offensive cards]—Phil had one thing that I was like ‘AmazingPhil, you can’t say that you’d do that lewd sex act to that inappropriate object on YT, you just can’t’ so jesus.”

40:15 (chat) Dan talk about the baking
“Yeah, did you like the baking?”
-riveting stuff, I love these in depth talks about their process wow

42:25 (chat) Have you won fortnite yet?
“No, I don’t play as much as Phil. Phil plays Fortnite a lot, like all the time. I think it makes him angry, I don’t know man, not good for your blood pressure.”
-Phil solo rage gaming for the love of christ please

47:10 “So other than me saying I hope you look forward to all the Dan and Phil content coming your way, if you enjoy that, don’t worry, there’ll still be lots of Dan videos coming throughout the year, if anything I’ll be more free-spirited [lag] emotional and physical wavelength to get up and spontaneously do things, we’ll see.”

CURSED
16:25 (chat) When will we start to get instagram story updates?
“Yeah, I don’t know if you’ve heard, but the Phil and I are thinking of starting- [blah blah twitter is stressful, needs another outlet]. The problem with instagram stories is that I don’t go outside, or do anything interesting that much, I’m usually just rolling around on the floor of my apartment thinking about how sad I am so that eventually that angst can get channelled into something creative. And I know it seems like I just say that a lot—I don’t know what you want from me because it’s literally what I do every single day—so when Phil and I actually start doing preparations for this tour and going to cool places and doing crazy things, of which there’s gonna be lots of interesting content coming up, I think I’ll start that and then who’s to say that that won’t keep going until the end of the tour in September, and maybe onwards if I manage to keep having a life, we’ll see.”
17:50 “I reckon it’s a good time to follow me on instagram. In a week or two.”

18:05 “danandphiltour.com, we’ve added new dates”
-still no montreal, ruuuuude

18:18 “We’re gonna start sharing some cool stuff maybe after we upload a video. But yes, we’re very excited. As Phil explained earlier, in case anyone caught the very beginning of this live stream, we’re choosing our outfits at the moment”
18:50 “Yes, we’re gonna explain a bit more in detail about what we’re doing in this show, why it’s gonna be amazing, why you should come see us, what it’s gonna be like, and how it’s gonna be awesome.”
“danandphiltour.com”

23:47 (chat) Will there be vids and liveshows on tour?
“We’re gonna be so disgustingly active. The thing is I don’t thrive… I’m an introvert, right? Which means that I find social situations very exhausting personally, but productively, I thrive easier in social settings. So whenever I’m working with a team or doing something for a long time is usually when I’m the most “productive”. “Productivity” meaning I end up making things that are entertainment that I share with the internet.”
25:02 “There will be liveshows, there will be videos, there will be lots of instagram posts. Probably lots of tweets, it’ll be cool.”

23:43 (chat) Dan don’t you think you could be an ambivert?
“No. I’m literally a complete introvert. Introverts can thrive in social settings, it’s just that they don’t get energy from them, and often they need to recover. I’m a high-functioning introvert. I’m a high-functioning many things, but yeah.”

25:39 (chat) Take it easy while you’re on tour
“Don’t worry, it’s quite good because my life just becomes this adventure and I can slip into that. Because the busier you are, the less time you have alone to think, if you know what I mean? So whilst being alone and thinking is what I’d say my preferred state, it’s probably my most vulnerable state, so being not alone and being super occupied all the time is a good thing.”
Miscellaneous
4:15 “I have decided to unlist some of my old YT videos. Now don’t freak out, okay? I’m talking about literally about 9, not like 30, so don’t worry, don’t worry.”

4:47 “I’ve always said I’ll keep [my old videos] up because it’s funny, firstly, to look at how bad I used to be at making videos, but also it’s also […] I think it’s good to show people the small humble beginnings of something that could literally have been so bad so long ago. But the problem with this is that some people were watching my old videos and they were liking what they saw—not ironically, not like ‘wow this is so bad I’m cringeing’ they were like ‘this is cool I like this guy I like what he’s about’—and they subscribed and then they went around on the internet saying I’m a big fan of [old llama Dan]”
[reads fake ass email that he probably wrote but even if he didn’t these kinds of people do exist but who fucking cares deleting things won’t make people stop loving what they love and probably being cringey as fuck about it. what ever happened to block and ignore a la #nicer(orjustlesscringe)ternet, no need to shame dumb children who are being embarrassing even if that specific one probably doesn’t exist, but anyway. I also hate cringe children but I just ignore them when possible, they’ll feel bad on their own when they’re older lol, it's a rite of passage]

7:50 “I kept, obviously, iconic ones [like Hello Internet etc] and several ones throughout the years up because as I said, I only removed about 6”
-you know what’s really cringey? pretending you can’t count

9:05 (showing square hair pic) “That was my hair. And this was a time in life where I looked like that. And the thing is, at the time, I thought that was okay.”

10:00 “So me looking terrible combining with humour being at its lowest point ever meant that there were just a few videos that I went back and was like ‘This is horrendous, if anyone I respect watched this, they would be like ‘this is a disgusting human being’ and I think that’s what Sandra watched”

10:42 “What I cannot handle is the thought of anyone stumbling across my existence on the internet and instead of going ‘I like this Dan guy for what what he’s tweetin and postin now’ going ‘oh yeah gimme that xD, gimme that llama and the placenta and the game, that’s that good shit’— I’m sorry I’m just objectively saying that’s terrible.”
-well the internet is not linear and them’s the facts BUT you do you because googledrive is forever :shrug:

:blackcat: Furry Corner
12:30 “I have officially decided—until I maybe find one that’s even more appropriate, but I just don’t think that’s gonna be true—that my fursona is a slothbear. You can blame all the people on twitter that did this.”

14:15 “It’s meant to be people: I’m a slothbear. Now two things that’s all I’m gonna say on the matter is: ‘Dan you talk about this a lot, are you joking?’ and I’m saying, you know, you just don’t want me to say any more than that. And the other thing is that sometimes I do feel bad—it is funny to talk about furries, mainly in the context- the fact that it makes people uncomfortable and anything that does that is kind of funny, but the fur fandom are just a wholesome group of people that enjoy dressing up, art, comics, and a cheeky yiff every now and then. And I just wanna confirm that I have no hard feelings towards the furry community, and I don’t want to be seen to be making fun of anybody. It’s more that people that follow me, some of them think it’s funny, and some of them seem genuinely upset by it, and that’s just what makes it entertaining. But as I said, you just don’t want me to talk about this any more than I already have, but there we go, character progression, we all like it.”

40:42 (chat) What are you naming your fursona?
“See, this is a whole thing. Do I have to name the fursona as well? Oh god. And it’s like, is it a separate character, you know, like if someone has a drag act it’s a completely different character with a personality— is a fursona a character or is it just an extension of myself? Can it just be me, but then it still needs a different name? Honestly. I’m one of those shallow fans that looks at the pictures and doesn’t absorb the culture. I’m what’s wrong with the world.”
/Furry Corner :bear:

19:35 (chat) dinof when?
“So videos on my YT channel. There was a video that I was gonna post, because after my meme video, I did that trying to live my truth video, I was heading forward with a lot of intent and then I was gonna make another video. But I thought about it a lot—I probably spent a bit too much time thinking about it. And I’ve now decided ‘cause there’s a lot of other stuff to do, a lot of tour stuff, I wanna start talking about some other cool things. I might upload this video in a couple months, say June sometime around my birthday or after, nothing to do with my birthday, just a good time, so look forward to whatever that is. But don’t worry, lots of content hitting you right in the face when you least expect it.”
-it will finally be The Time to tell us he’s a secret lizard person once and for all (real talk though: expect nothing more than an ISG for the sake of your own sanity, always)

20:53 “I’d like spring to alive—arrive. I got a couple cherry blossom trees in little pots outside, and I’m like waiting for them to bloom. If they don’t bloom into little small cherry blossom trees before I’ve left the freaking country, I’ll be mad.”
-side.channel.video.or.death. like how much merch do I have to buy for a simple little plant tour :cactus: :japhan:

22:24 (about his merch) “A lot of people were saying ‘Dan I thought you abandoned the old branding, what’s up with the eclipse?’ and it’s funny because we reached out to the people that did the original graphic design to do a collab, and I was like ‘actually let’s look at this for a second: a black sweater/t-shirt with a silhouette of a solar eclipse in monochrome, a literal metaphor for light and hope briefly disappearing between an immeasurable black surface, it just- it’s so 2018 Dan, isn’t it? But I thought, why not.”

23:43 (chat) Dan don’t you think you could be an ambivert?
“No. I’m literally a complete introvert. Introverts can thrive in social settings, it’s just that they don’t get energy from them, and often they need to recover. I’m a high-functioning introvert. I’m a high-functioning many things, but yeah.”

27:54 (chat) Can you please explain the kinky rabbit that you liked on tumblr?
“I will like anything that makes me laugh or smile. There’s some talented artists in the world.”

37:12 (chat) What are you watching at the moment
“I’m watching a show called Billions, which is good, it’s got Damian Lewis in it”
-OMG a show I finally care about. it’s so stupid and I love it and there’s a nonbinary vegan character and I don’t understand anything financial they are EVER talking about but it’s so weirdly compelling?? Paul Giamatti chews scenery like nobody’s business and Damian Lewis’s tiny mouth is just endlessly entertaining, ahhh good times. I now desperately require Phil’s Opinions™

39:03 (chat) What’s the deal with the new earring?
“I have a couple new earrings, but I’ve just worn this, yeah, I dunno”
(chat) Why only one?
“I like asymmetry, I don’t know why, it’s just kinda cool”
“A bit of asymmetry in your clothing or your accessorizing, I like it”

43:35 “I am now officially, according to the USA, an Alien of Extraordinary Talent. So I’m just gonna carve that into my headstone when I die.”
-he should probably do it before he dies /dadjoke

44:20 (chat) How was taking the trash out after you lost the bet
“It was cold
it was wet
I lost the bet
and I regret.”

45:30 (chat) Do you believe in soulmates?
“I don’t believe in souls, but I believe in like general compatibility, which is two people that, if you just get on with someone really well, someone that you can spend time with— is that a soulmate? Maybe.”

46:05 (chat) I’m upset about what you said about apple crisps [in Google Feud vid]
“Look, fuck apple crisps, I’m sorry. You don’t want me to get opinionated, I want to get opinionated, don’t know what you want from me. The truth is people can’t handle the truth. You say an opinion and it’s just hard to know how many people agree, because I could express an opinion and 90% of the people watching could agree with the opinion, but I wouldn’t see that. What would happen is that 10% of the people watching that disagree would then suddenly appear in all caps and would make it seem so controversial that you go ‘wow that’s wrong, I shouldn’t have expressed that opinion’ but how would you know, because the silent majority is always silent. I don’t know man. It’s just a dilemma, truly.”
-apple crisps, not even once

48:30 “I hope that you’ve all been good, I hope that you’re enjoying the content, there’s lots to come, of all the kinds that all the different people with all the different opinions will probably enjoy.”
:whiskers: Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 23 times :whiskers:
~23/49 mins = 0.46 per min

Ok so I did some bitching here but ultimately he can (AND SHOULD) do exactly what he wants with his channel and public output or whatever, it’s cool Dan (and for the record: yup still like him, still enjoy him. We just all have room for improvement). I just don’t like change and personal inconvenience (those extra clicks mannn) but ultimately everybody needs to do what’s best for themselves and their comfort/happiness/career/satan. It is a strange thing though because at what point does art no longer belong to the artist? The second it has an audience? Dan owns the origin of his videos (and copyright obviously), but they’re out in the world and have meant a lot to a lot of people for a lot of time, and continue to, even if their meaning to him has been degraded over the years into pure cringe, like that’s cool, I get it. But him finding things cringey doesn’t make them objectively so (just like some of his viewers finding certain videos of his cringey or just plain shit doesn’t objectively make them so) so it’s just rough that based on one or two unfortunate word choices (in a time and environment when it was the norm), they can’t be allowed to officially exist anymore. Like yikes, if he was a painter he’d be having monthly bonfires of all of his older work where he remembered how shitty his hair looked while he was painting and just like what’s happened today: that would be bad for the environment. But sure, he can do what he wants with his art, and we can do what we want with his art because it’s also our art now and can never actually be fully deleted from our hearts (but more importantly: from the internet). Honestly, bless and fuck the internet in equal measure :blackheart:

Anyway look, I'm really enjoying that Dan is both Will Ferrell and Joaquin Phoenix having a conversation with himself. And we are also Will Ferrell:

But we are all also Joaquin Phoenix after most many of Dan's liveshows (and probably so still is he):
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:47 pm :tinfoil:

Weren’t we all just bringing up a bunch of 2009-2012 videos we loved? If he’s creepin’ and that was the impetus for this, I..... I....... I won’t buy his merch. The little shit.
Why can't you quote from old threads
I am so sorry guys :wahh:
papierklemmen
flower crown

meh, let those videos be gone. even How To Speak Northern. it was one of the first vids of his that i saw even before i knew what dan & phil were and while i loved it, thought it was fun (albeit awkard), i was still taken aback by the "raped in the alleyway" joke, and lord knows i'm surprised how many of his videos have a rape joke. let them all burn.

the problem with dan is that it was his most prolific time content wise (on his channel) and he doesn't really have anything to counter balance the loss of these old videos because he barely creates new ones. if by now he had finally made up his mind on what his yt identity/content/style is and stuck with it and backed that up by making loads of videos then it wouldn't have been a problem, but at some point if he continues down this road he might just end up in the minus (maybe that's what he wants...lol).
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

so....i kind of hated that liveshow in some ways. i don't know, i just feel like he was way too harsh on an 11 year old. like is he really going to shame an ELEVEN year old child for liking old videos that he thinks are cringy? it's a literal child dan like shut up. it just seems like a shitty reason to get rid of a bunch of videos. like i'm not mad that he unlisted/deleted them because i get that there's some offensive humor in them that he doesn't want to promote anymore. great. but like...why wouldn't he just explain that in the liveshow instead of shaming a child for enjoying something.

and what about his current branding? furries, sex, and euthanasia aren't a little cringy? he's not going to regret 2018 dan in 5 years time? sure.

also, i just started to feel (like i often do) that he was overexplaining everything and like...being condescending. i don't need dan to tell me what a rage comic is. i mean i guess some really young fans might not know what they are but it was just annoying. and him acting like humor used to be at such a low threshold. like everyone in the world was stupid for liking rage comics and those old types of memes. they were funny then, get over it. internet humor has moved on but it's still not that sophisticated.
side note: what was with the way he said me gusta. once i realized that's what he was talking about i had to pause it because i was laughing so hard i couldn't breathe.

dan talks about how bad he used to be at making videos but honestly....i'm not a huge fan of current main channel dan vids. his quality threshold is too high and he's so concerned with how intellectual his content instead of making it more....entertaining. the last dan video i REALLY liked was the bahamas one. he just always feels like he's acting and it feels so scripted that i'm prefering phil's content lately which i didn't used to. just a personal opinion and i'm rambling at this point but i don't know. a little annoyed with dan today.

on a more positive note i'm really thrilled about the amount of content he implied we'll be getting while they're on tour. i'm looking forward to it starting to see what they'll do and i'm very excited for instagram stories.