Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

1 million views in 14 hours. Wild.

In more Dan-being-shameless news:

LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I need to stop scrolling through idb and Tumblr at work because I am smiling like an idiot about how sweet this video was and I can't wait to rewatch it later.

In relation to:
LadyLackless wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:18 amI’m left admiring not only the video itself but the meta.
Can someone write an eloquent piece on how this video fits into Dan Living His Truth as announced in the last dinof?
Loafer
sofa crease

When I first heard it, I thought the “door slam” was something falling and hitting the ground, maybe a piece of paper (the video script? would sound loud if it was by a camera)

Totally didn’t register the first two times I watched that dan had blatantly mentioned people wanting them to fuck at 2:13. I don’t know what to think about it, but my eyebrows are sky high. I can’t think of another time in recent memory that they acknowledged that their audience wants to see “phan”?

What they said at the beginning about being real people can totally apply to “phan” too. Obviously we’ve got some idea of what might be going on behind closed doors, but for the most part, phan is a very fictionalized version of a real relationship. I’m hoping that as they shift away from their personas and act more natural on camera, then their fans will stop treating them like characters as well, and stop acting like they are entitled to private parts of their lives. I would be surprised if other open youtube couples with large fan bases got the same amount of comments wanting to see the physical side of their relationship.
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I'm still a bit in shock tbh. That was so much more than I expected. I really thought we were going to get some lighthearted yoga with a tour spon at the end but instead we got this wonderful thing! I'm so happy! They're so happy! <3

Highlights include:
- reacting to pinof1 and not criticizing it as hard as they would any other old video. It means so much to them, and to us, and they didn't want to take away from that. Dan even pointed out the cuddly moments without actually pointing them out. Wonderful.
- "top or bottom, phil" *intense stare into the camera* essays can be written about this moment
- future dog talk. Less committed than what they've said before but this is dinof, a main channel vid with a much bigger and more diverse audience that a liveshow. I feel no reason to worry about this tbh.
- Dan's proud face when Phil swore! So cute! I relate to Phil so much btw, I hate using rude words.

I bet they see a big spike in ticket sales after this, if this doesn't convince people I don't know what will.

Loafer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm Totally didn’t register the first two times I watched that dan had blatantly mentioned people wanting them to fuck at 2:13. I don’t know what to think about it, but my eyebrows are sky high. I can’t think of another time in recent memory that they acknowledged that their audience wants to see “phan”?
I think Phil said something last year (maaaaybe in Reading Dan's fortune?), about people asking him to "do it with Dan" and some guy meaning it in the other way. It's the closest thing I can think of.
Last edited by kavat on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Loafer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm Totally didn’t register the first two times I watched that dan had blatantly mentioned people wanting them to fuck at 2:13. I don’t know what to think about it, but my eyebrows are sky high. I can’t think of another time in recent memory that they acknowledged that their audience wants to see “phan”?
I didn't register that either at first! I sort of took it as him saying that people's reaction to them doing "anything" was an incredulous "FUCK!", as opposed to a request to..... fuck. Silly me.

BUT! There is a moment in recent history. Phil's "PREDICTING DAN'S FUTURE" video, when he said "I did a video reading my own future and everyone was like, 'Do it with Dan! Do it with Dan!' ....and one guy was like, 'Do it with Dan.' I think he meant something else."

So this referencing of people wanting phan.... It's becoming a thing.
hello9217
flower crown

Some replies dan left on yt. Put under spoiler to save space.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

It feels a little odd saying this but this video sort of.. reminded me why I love deppy so much? In a weird way. It reignited my love for them and their content, if that makes sense.
:transheart:
sadshrew
tol bean

I may have just bought a ticket to a show in Sweden despite not living in Sweden or knowing my schedule for June. I'm too weak.

Some incoherent thoughts:

Reacting to Pinof
This was the part I was looking forward to the least as I don't generally enjoy reaction vids, but it was surprisingly pleasant to watch. Phil's fond laugh and "don't call it a mistake", my heart! I'm glad Dan wasn't too harsh on his 18-year-old self here. He may cringe at a lot of his past phases, and I don't blame him because I'm certainly not here celebrating my internet history, but Pinof will forever be the first video they did together, their genesis, their origin, and as such it exists in a realm beyond cringe. My favourite part however was the looks they shared as they realised it'll be ten years of knowing each other next year. I'm around the same age as them and in a similarly long relationship with an unusual origin story, so I really relate to that aspect of them and happy to see them acknowledge it. Nine years is a long ass time at their age. Everything that happened before it feels so long ago, almost like another life, and it's both scary and amazing at the same time.

Swapping clothes
I'm here for this good and wholesome content. It was like paper dolls in real life. Capita£ester should get on that idea asap. Also dying to get another My Dan Chooses My Outfits video.

Manchester

I cried a little bit I'm not gonna lie. Their story is incredible and they've come so far. Reminiscing the old times and looking forward to new times because the one constant in their lives is each other. There will always be that one person that moved cities with their platonic buddy pal and then revisited their home together years later while visiting some old mutual friends, but at this point I don't even care. They're next to each other in life.

Yoga challenge

So that was a thing that happened. A few years ago it would not have been a thing that happened. Phil referring to a yoga pose as a weird sex position from the future and casually proceeding to attempt said position from the future? Dan not This Guying even once in the process? This is from the Dan and Phil that brought us the three-legged challenge where they were so careful not to as much as brush each other's fingers. It's truly a blessing to see how much more comfortable they have become over the years, and how they're doing it on their own terms. I loved how competitive Dan got, and how Phil kindly supported him in his ambitious mission. I think my favourite part was actually when Phil spat on Dan, how Dan laughed about it because while it's not particularly enjoyable, it's not particularly gross either. I feel like a few years ago they might have played up the grossness aspect of it a lot more.

The dog
I love all dogs and seeing a dog always makes me happy, so this bit was pure and good. I hope they get their dog someday. I think it was also good of them to remind people that preparing for a world tour is not a good time to be adopting a dog. A dog is a serious commitment that you shouldn't make if you do not have the time or the means to care for it properly.

Phil swearing
I got a bit anxious for Phil, but seeing how eager Dan was to make him swear made me laugh.

I'll be rewatching this a lot.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

It's taken me some time to process, but now I have some thoughts re: the video. First off, I loved it. I've watched it 4 times and filled my tumblr with screenshots, text posts, gif sets.

Sidenote: one of my favorite posts was one where someone had screenshotted their google search "can you gif an entire video?" I found that quite relatable.

I've been trying to put my finger on just why I loved this video so much. Its individual elements were indeed fantastic. Them going to Manchester and re-creating parts of the old DITL definitely made me feel some feelings. The references to "a certain video" were certainly surprising, but I think I was most affected by Dan just filming Phil playing on the fountain "off in his own little world." It struck me in that moment just how found, after all these years, Dan still is of Phil. <3

The outfit swapping was hilarious. Dan really should borrow Phil's clothes more often. That ladybug jumper especially. The yoga was much more than I expected them to do. And they didn't, not once, try to backtrack or make some lame joke about what they were doing. They just went for it. (and how)

Phil swearing! This may have been my favorite moment. Not because he swore, though that was certainly something I never thought we'd get to hear. But it was that attempt Dan made to get Phil out of his persona, and Phil obliged. It reminded me of that interview Caspar did with Joe last year, where he forced Joe to drop his media training just a bit and be honest. I really do hope this video is a sign of things to come. With a little more of them, and a little less of their personas.

Honestly, aside from being a brilliant video, this was fantastic tour spon. I already have a ticket to their Long Island show, but now I'm seriously considering getting one for Philly as well. Honestly, they should just take all my money now and put it towards their forever home with the dog that Phil will risk an allergy attack to love.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Loafer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm When I first heard it, I thought the “door slam” was something falling and hitting the ground, maybe a piece of paper (the video script? would sound loud if it was by a camera)
That's what I'm thinking, too!
Totally didn’t register the first two times I watched that dan had blatantly mentioned people wanting them to fuck at 2:13. I don’t know what to think about it, but my eyebrows are sky high. I can’t think of another time in recent memory that they acknowledged that their audience wants to see “phan”?
I actually got the same meaning the first time I watched the video and I'm quite happy about Dan not shying away from acknowledging it. I mean, I like my fourth wall as much as the next girl, but only when the fandom itself is giving some effort to maintaining it, too, so maybe it'll serve people well to remind them that deppy are real people and they do read comments, tweet replies, etc., including those mentioning phan in a rude way. The same goes to Dan's replies on youtube, especially the one about his face between Phil's legs, I wholeheartedly approve :thumb:
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
fancy_nancy
phabergé

I totally understand Phil not wanting to swear on camera, I swear around my friends but I'd never ever swear in front of my parents or grandparents :lol: that, and the yoga were my favorite.
What's worse is the video worked and now I'm dying at the thought of not going to II, what do we think about the TBC dates? Tour starts on the 28th. Are they going to announce the TBC dates on the go?I don't want to sound impatient but I want to buy my tickets like... yesterday :(
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

SO the dog, I'm inclined to think they hired the dog like the ones from the calendar(Unless someone remembers this specific dog from somewhere?), and that makes me think about who was filming, the camera doesn't shake so much so I'm thinking it was someone used to doing this, not, like, the dog handler, doubt they would want to film this video in front of someone that didn't know them but maybe if the person was there just for that little bit with the dog, meaning the dog could have gone over just for a little while so he and it's owner/handler might not be there while they are filming the other bits, the noise could be anything. I am confusion.
Anyways, I know I'm greedy for wanting to know all these details just after they gifted us with such an amazing video :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm You guys. I am at work. I have no wifi. I was at 90% of my data use 3 days ago and one day to go until it’s the new billing period. So what I’m saying is I literally just paid $10 to watch this video and.... it was worth it. Best video of any year past or present, I am so happy right now and Phil saying fuck is my sexuality thank thank thank
This was the first response to the video yesterday and I just want to say that I'm really proud of your life choices.
flarequake wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:08 pm The very beginning with Phil actually being direct about them as YouTubers, us as audience, it’s interesting to hear him talk about things like that. I was in love just with that. I guess he really does keep quiet if that’s all it takes.
I'm so glad they did that introductory part. I think it really set the perfect tone for the entire video. If they'd done all these things under the pretense that they really genuinely wanted to all on their own and not at all for us it would have felt too fake, if they'd (Dan, mostly) had acted too sardonic it would have felt like they were being forced into things. But the beginning part where they stated bluntly the line between them as people and them as youtube personalities, and said why they were doing this and what they want out of tour was a mix of self-awareness and also promoting this career of theirs. It felt like they were saying here's us, we're doing this tour, this is the theme of the tour, it's going to make us seem more like real people and less like characters, and this video is an example of that. The entire framing of it just... worked. It was the perfect middle ground.
saffarinda wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm i haven’t been on idb in awhile but,, y’all thinking dnp are seperating after this tour smh. the only sense of finalisation within the vid came from maybe the fact that they’ll probs never do another proper tour after this and the old dnp era is finally coming to a conclusion.

but other than that? nah.
This, yes yes. This is how I feel. I said something similar already but since that was a few pages ago I'll succumb to my desire to be repetitive: not every chapter ending is a bad thing. Look at it less like 'omg they're gonna separate' and more like 'they want to be known as Dan and Phil, Adult Human People, and not just danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil.' I feel like all of 2017 was a slow crawl toward that and 2018 has just ramped it up in a big way. But why does wanting to be known as Adult Human People relate to separating in people's heads? Is it just a cascading fear effect? Growing up doesn't mean you leave behind everything you love, them growing their images up doesn't at all mean they need to leave behind each other. If anything, look at the gaming channel, look at this tour, look at this whole video they just posted - they're growing their images up together and being very obvious about the togetherness aspect of it.
Catallena wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:42 am HOLY SHIT. THEY DELIVERED. :stan:

That video was... a lot. A lot of good things. But a lot. I'm not even sure whether I'm alive?? Let's test with some attempts at sarcastic commentary jokes:
- "We wanna connect with you as people." Sounds fake but ok. :shrug:
- For a hot second I thought Daniel had rubbed off on Phil but thank god. No Philip, still just Phil.
- They just wanna please us. But also themselves so buy tickets plz. Genius spon strategy.
- Does Phil just fill that 'bedroom' of his with old props? Not a set at all :thumb:
- "What a mistake." Image
- jk but I was genuinely scared of that PINOF reaction, I have been for YEARS. But nothing bad happend, thank you 2018.
- Not the first time Phil has pointed out how much hair he used to have. dw sweetie, your hairline is charming :bruh:
- I cackled when they talked about PINOF's editing because the phandom literally put that video back into the right order just by looking at smudged sharpie whiskers and the position of pillows.
- 2009!Phil cutely leaning into 2009!Dan's chest and y'all comment on the tongue thing??? Probably for the best, but bruh.
- I bet Dan made at least half of that mess on the floor, fucking around on Dailybooth and whatnot.
- I legit paused the video for 5 whole minutes after Dan's 'WAIT A MINUTE' at the iconic tackle hug. I was that scared :')
- "Why did you do that??" He just wanted to do cute coupley shit, geez Dan. Don't suddenly pretend you didn't love it.
- Never thought Phil was innocent, but please tell me more about those things you've seen~
- New apartment angle?
- Phil whipping around the 'crotch slapper' like it's a :dildo:
- EXACTLY DAN! Phil in looks good in monochrome because he IS monochrome.
- "Everything is improved with a bit of glitter Dan. Even you." Next PINOF I'm gonna request that Phil poors a jar of glitter over Dan's head. Improvement! :ribena:
- Dan's WOO! is a mood.
- "What's an old video people liked?" The ones you deleted unlisted.
- We're all so predictable that they were able to film the Manchester bit in advance before ever asking the question.
- THE WHEEL AND MACHIATTOS AND JUST STAB ME IN THE HEART. :happytears:
- I genuinely felt a bit sad when they said they probably would never come back here and it's dumb cause duh of course they wouldn't but them saying goodbye like that to the Manchester apartment just fucking HIT me. And it's been YEARS.
- Phil explaining the Yoga Challenge without saying the word couple was highly amusing.
- "I'm just gonna put my ass in the air and hope for the best." - Phil Lester, 2018. What dark time line?? :ASs:
- I can't believe the bottom!Phil side of the NSFW tag on Tumblr won. He said it.
- Dan willingly putting his head between Phil legs. Balls in his neck. Just a normal day right?
- I care about your happiness Phil!! If I wasn't I'd tell you to get a cat~
- Them playing with the dog was the purest content tho.
- That entire rant about why he doesn't swear and nothing about demonetization? Capita£ester has let me down. :(
- brb, making a soundclip of Phil saying 'fuck' my phone's message tone.
- #spon to end all #spons. The stage set seems awesome though! And the show itself sounds a lot less cringe than TATINOF.
Just quoting this whole thing in case anyone missed it on the last page, because it's solid gold.
coffeepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 am- Deppy being cute & happy with the doggo. I felt like Dan got a little bitter (idk) at the start of the dog bit for some reason, but then he forgot about everything and they were just so happy and so... themselves with the dog, it's literally too much :happytears:
I'm fascinated by Dan's attitude about the dog thing. This is the second time he's said it now, he expressed a similar sentiment during a liveshow once. I feel like it's probably something he took away from therapy and now I'm just endlessly curious to know what the root of it is. What is the hole that Dan needs filling? I'm guessing maybe something to do with needing to be at a place where he's satisfied with himself as a person and feeling capable of taking care of himself before he takes on responsibility for another living creature entirely dependent on him. (Or maybe, if I dare go there, wanting to be in a position where they don't feel obligated towards coyness about how much of a symbol of publicly visible long term commitment owning a pet together is. Be happy being open with themselves before they bring that into it, so that if he feels the need for backstepping from the public visibility out of fear/insecurity/etc he'll still be capable of it without sad doggo eyes going don't you love me, dad.)Anyway, theories!
fancybum wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 am
hello9217 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:33 am How about them talking about Manchester macchiatos and the wheel? They didn't even go on the wheel in the original ditl but the people part of the phandom know fully well how important the wheel and caramel macchiatos are to deppy. There were such subtle shout outs that people in the phandom will truly know what they mean.
I think this is an iffy way of looking at it. I don’t think they’d realistically be giving some kind of special shout out to fans who engage(d) in their unfortunate breach of privacy as some kind of fun thing. Like that those were objectively important things to them is enough of a reason to mention them without feeling the need to censor it just because certain people may think of another place they’ve been mentioned before almost a decade ago
The idea that they were phandom shoutouts and Dan and Phil are fine with the vday video being put up got a lot of strength yesterday when someone on tumblr posted that Phil no longer takes the vday video down, he monetizes it and leaves it up. That's 100% untrue; I tested it out because I knew the copyright bot would be instant if it was still in effect, and it was. Blocked in all countries, no monetization. So yeah; the idea that they mentioned the wheel or the coffees out of a fond nod toward the video holds no water with me. But like fancybum said, they were still objectively important to them apart from that one video, and it doesn't detract from the sweetness of their nostalgia at all to me.
willowgarden wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 am Have you ever seen a dog pee in a roughly triangular shape around something it owns?

It marks its territory.
It says, this is mine, not yours.
~They know we cherish the PINOF tackle.
~They know we remember Phil's tweeted threats to chain himself to the wheel when it came down.
~They know that there are certain dark corners of the internet - aherm - where topping/bottoming, and assigning Dan as much moon energy as possible, generates pages of discussion.
~They know we're curious about us, we, ours, the forever home, the forever dog, the forever family.
~They know we heard "their molecules are touching" over a shared hat in a liveshow, and it inspired thoughts of shared beds, clothes, backpacks, vacations.
~They know we want to know the layout of the apartment.

They know we know.
They peed in a circle around all that crap.
We gonna bring it up again, they gonna say, "asked and answered," no embarrassments, and turn away right quick.

Well played. Smile and wave, boys, smile and wave.
Only hiding this because my big post of replies is gonna be massive anyway, but this is fascinating and feels also on some level true. I'm really loving this new era of drawing boundaries while making it clear they are the boundaries even if we know what's on the other side of them.
hello9217 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:03 am Something else I really appreciated in this video that I forgot to mention: Dan (and somewhat Phil) bringing up that their youtube channels our very persona heavy and not fully them. Like when dan said that the tour was to meet daniel howell and phil lester and "not danisnotonfire and amazingphil, whoever they are," it just felt like such a statement of how they want to represent themselves now. I feel like this is something that we have been commenting on over the past year and it felt really nice to hear that both of them also feel like it's the right time to shed some of the branding and cement this tour as the thing that will help do that.
yesyesyesyesyes
KatjaZoe wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:09 amIn regards to phil saying fuck.. I felt a lil awkward for him at the lead up because he seemed to feel so awkward, but the delivery was worth it. On the first watch I literally gasped -- I'm a little embarassed about how much of a reaction I had as a grown adult who cusses all the time to hearing another adult who cusses all the time say the word "fuck". :lol:
I really didn't think he was gonna say it, so I might have gasped as well. Or I thought at most he'd say it and Dan would bleep it for him.
watsonian wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:13 amPINOF 1 Reaction: DIDN'T WANT IT, got it anyway. I appreciate how Phil tempers Dan's natural criticism. I especially appreciate Phil's "Are you ready for a cringe attack or are you okay?" That's just… very sweet. I think Phil is more sentimental about their early content like most of the fandom is, while Dan can't help being critical. So Phil's acknowledging Dan's natural 'cringe' reaction seems honest and kind in a way I'm having a hard time articulating? It's how well they know each other (of course they do) and to me it's also a gentle reminder to the audience that "Dan's gonna Dan." Having said that, he wasn't nearly as critical as he usually is of his own content; Phil being next to him, and also being a part of the video, definitely tempers that.
I loved this so much I quoted it on tumblr earlier.
sapienveneficus wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:46 pmPhil swearing! This may have been my favorite moment. Not because he swore, though that was certainly something I never thought we'd get to hear. But it was that attempt Dan made to get Phil out of his persona, and Phil obliged. It reminded me of that interview Caspar did with Joe last year, where he forced Joe to drop his media training just a bit and be honest. I really do hope this video is a sign of things to come. With a little more of them, and a little less of their personas. to love.
Ooh, this is a good point - and it actually makes me think of Dan's tweet yesterday alluding to Phil being scared of all the changes recently:
Not that I think Phil is letting Dan push him into anything he doesn't want to do, but I think in some instances Phil might have needed some coaxing in certain areas to take the plunge into something he wanted but was afraid to do.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Regarding the last part of the video, yes it was very sweet how gently and calmly Dan tried to coax Phil to not only curse, but be open about why he didn't do it and giving him another space (his own channel) to do so. He did say "Phil, talk to ME", not, Phil come on tell US, or tell THEM. It's impressive to watch the many ways and layers that they know each other.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm
coffeepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 am- Deppy being cute & happy with the doggo. I felt like Dan got a little bitter (idk) at the start of the dog bit for some reason, but then he forgot about everything and they were just so happy and so... themselves with the dog, it's literally too much :happytears:
I'm fascinated by Dan's attitude about the dog thing. This is the second time he's said it now, he expressed a similar sentiment during a liveshow once. I feel like it's probably something he took away from therapy and now I'm just endlessly curious to know what the root of it is. What is the hole that Dan needs filling? I'm guessing maybe something to do with needing to be at a place where he's satisfied with himself as a person and feeling capable of taking care of himself before he takes on responsibility for another living creature entirely dependent on him. (Or maybe, if I dare go there, wanting to be in a position where they don't feel obligated towards coyness about how much of a symbol of publicly visible long term commitment owning a pet together is. Be happy being open with themselves before they bring that into it, so that if he feels the need for backstepping from the public visibility out of fear/insecurity/etc he'll still be capable of it without sad doggo eyes going don't you love me, dad.)Anyway, theories!
When I first watched that august 2015 liveshow (here is that particular bit if anyone's looking, courtesy of the amazing @oqua), I was honestly confused by Dan comparing getting a dog to "It's like when you're trying to save a relationship by having a child or getting married or something like that", because his relationship with Phil, whatever that may be, sure as hell doesn't look like one in need to be saved and if it's not that, what other relationship does he have, really? Dan sure has a way with words, but, as we've seen from many-many liveshows, his actual communication abilities are not that great. It's funny because you're almost quoting him, but this has actually been Dan and Phil's explanation for why they don't get a pet for some time now (since they moved). But also, not being a functional adult = not being an adult = not having to do/think about what is considered to be adult things for people with enough income like house, marriage, children, etc., it's like their basic defence mechanism against having to explain why they aren't doing what the society/their audience expects from them (see also: Phil turning 30 and phandom's reaction to that, especially by the younger fans).
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm
fancybum wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 am
hello9217 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:33 am How about them talking about Manchester macchiatos and the wheel? They didn't even go on the wheel in the original ditl but the people part of the phandom know fully well how important the wheel and caramel macchiatos are to deppy. There were such subtle shout outs that people in the phandom will truly know what they mean.
I think this is an iffy way of looking at it. I don’t think they’d realistically be giving some kind of special shout out to fans who engage(d) in their unfortunate breach of privacy as some kind of fun thing. Like that those were objectively important things to them is enough of a reason to mention them without feeling the need to censor it just because certain people may think of another place they’ve been mentioned before almost a decade ago
The idea that they were phandom shoutouts and Dan and Phil are fine with the vday video being put up got a lot of strength yesterday when someone on tumblr posted that Phil no longer takes the vday video down, he monetizes it and leaves it up. That's 100% untrue; I tested it out because I knew the copyright bot would be instant if it was still in effect, and it was. Blocked in all countries, no monetization. So yeah; the idea that they mentioned the wheel or the coffees out of a fond nod toward the video holds no water with me. But like fancybum said, they were still objectively important to them apart from that one video, and it doesn't detract from the sweetness of their nostalgia at all to me.
I didn't took them as shout outs to people who have seen the leaked video specifically, I don't really expect Dan or Phil remember in great details what particular places and events were referenced there, but they must've rewatched the Manchester DITL before filming that part or at least before putting the video together (I'm not very sure about the timeline of them going to Manchester and deciding what they're doing for the video). So they know the wheel didn't feature in it, but it has been a part of the phandom "mythology" as much as the story of how they really met ("stalking him until he loves you"), or going to see Lesters together, or sharing clothes, and they have been increasingly more open about all of those things for the last couple of years. Provided what is shown in the leaked video is true, it feels significant to me that they've addressed it as just another part of their shared history that is important to them, without making a big deal of it, when it's not directly referenced in the Manchester DITL, all while maintaining strict boundaries about actual breaches of privacy and continuing to claim copyright on the video. But anyway, thank you dizzy for getting a copyright complaint for science :ribena:
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
noodlebum
flower crown

I rewatched the original day in the life and to be fair, they do go into Starbucks and order macchiatos, and Phil does point out the wheel at one point
starwatersong
phabergé

sadshrew wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm
Swapping clothes
I'm here for this good and wholesome content. It was like paper dolls in real life. Capita£ester should get on that idea asap. Also dying to get another My Dan Chooses My Outfits video.
These are pretty amusing, if a bit dated.

Dress Up Dan (with curly hair)
Dress Up Phil (fringe only)
mm_sunny1993
spork

When they had their clothes in their hands you could see light blue jeans. Like phil, please wear them! :clapping: It would suit him so well to wear something different than black jeans for once.

Other than that, I still don't believe how good that was. I love it and I think I've rewatched it at least 7 times already :stan:

And that dog was so adorable :hearts:
dancy
procrastinator

Wow, Youtube doesn't pay well these days huh :lol:

Jokes aside, I'm not gonna be able to shut up about this video. I was honestly expecting it to be just the yoga challenge (with some kind of spin on it because I know they like to do that) after Phil's tweet, so this was such a pleasant surprise! Obviously it was a lot of fanservice but it didn't come across as tacky, forced or cringy at all. The PINOF 1 reaction and clothes swapping parts were very nice, even though I actually didn't care much for those suggestions at first. I haven't been watching D&P for all that long yet but somehow the mini DITL in Manchester still made me feel nostalgic. The yoga challenge also gets a big yes from me and it was lovely to see them being so comfortable on camera. Seeing them playing with with dogs is always adorable, I think I've watched the dog calendar video and the one where they met Cat's pitbull about thirty times. Not sure what Dan was on about but he's expressed wanting a dog in live shows, so I do think they'll get one if they were to move sometime after the tour, though they'd probably be better off with a low-energy dog. Phil saying fuck was the cherry on top! I don't like swearing in front of my family either, so I do understand where's he coming from.
Is there gonna be a website where people can submit stories/requests perhaps?
Dan had already kinda given it away but I love knowing that my prediction was right! I wonder when they're gonna put up the website and how they're going to make sure that only people who are attending a certain show will be able to submit stuff for that show? I'm also glad they've finally shared some more information about what they're gonna be doing on stage! The list:
  • roasting D&P with Truth Bombs (I'm sure people will have more than enough to say)
  • getting deep with Dan (so is it gonna be like his live shows?)
  • putting their friendship to the test + electrocuting the loser (I'm all for it, give it to me)
  • telling stories (yes, they're good storytellers!)
  • live simulator game which recreates going outside and interacting wth the public in a safe environment (anyone got a clue what the hell that means?)
  • archery (?? I mean, I don't trust them with a bow and arrow...)
  • a Phil diss track + singing (hm I'm completely fine with listening to them singing in their Yasuhati videos but I honestly can't listen to The Internet Is Here or Dan's diss track so idk :? )
  • piano playing (nice! I wonder if Dan has had any piano lessons recently, didn't he say something about that last year?)
Any chance we're getting a live show this week or is that too much to hope for?
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

Hmmm,archery with Dan and Phil? I bet we're either going to get VR archery again, or this, since I think it would appeal to Phil :lol:
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
malday
emo goose

coffeepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:51 pm I didn't took them as shout outs to people who have seen the leaked video specifically, I don't really expect Dan or Phil remember in great details what particular places and events were referenced there, but they must've rewatched the Manchester DITL before filming that part or at least before putting the video together (I'm not very sure about the timeline of them going to Manchester and deciding what they're doing for the video). So they know the wheel didn't feature in it, but it has been a part of the phandom "mythology" as much as the story of how they really met ("stalking him until he loves you"), or going to see Lesters together, or sharing clothes, and they have been increasingly more open about all of those things for the last couple of years. Provided what is shown in the leaked video is true, it feels significant to me that they've addressed it as just another part of their shared history that is important to them, without making a big deal of it, when it's not directly referenced in the Manchester DITL, all while maintaining strict boundaries about actual breaches of privacy and continuing to claim copyright on the video. But anyway, thank you dizzy for getting a copyright complaint for science :ribena:
The wheel did feature, (very briefly but they showed it), in the old Manchester DITL and so did caramel macchiatos. I'm sure they know their own fandom and the connections they will make, and it's great that that didn't stop them, but they were really only recreating the old DITL.

To me the most significant thing is that they chose to put that video with that thumbnail on Dan's channel. If you watch DAPG or AP it's not a big deal, they've done and said "bold" things on those channels in the last year, especially on DAPG, but now they did it on a channel where they've kept a really different image than on the rest. imo.
Last edited by malday on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

malday wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 pm
coffeepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:51 pm I didn't took them as shout outs to people who have seen the leaked video specifically, I don't really expect Dan or Phil remember in great details what particular places and events were referenced there, but they must've rewatched the Manchester DITL before filming that part or at least before putting the video together (I'm not very sure about the timeline of them going to Manchester and deciding what they're doing for the video). So they know the wheel didn't feature in it, but it has been a part of the phandom "mythology" as much as the story of how they really met ("stalking him until he loves you"), or going to see Lesters together, or sharing clothes, and they have been increasingly more open about all of those things for the last couple of years. Provided what is shown in the leaked video is true, it feels significant to me that they've addressed it as just another part of their shared history that is important to them, without making a big deal of it, when it's not directly referenced in the Manchester DITL, all while maintaining strict boundaries about actual breaches of privacy and continuing to claim copyright on the video. But anyway, thank you dizzy for getting a copyright complaint for science :ribena:
The wheel did feature, (very briefly but they showed it), in the old Manchester DITL and so did caramel macchiatos. I'm sure they know their own fandom and the connections they will make, and it's great that didn't stop them, but they were really only recreating the old DITL.
You're right of course, as well as noodlebum, I remembered macchiatos, but not the wheel and I was talking specifically about it. I've rewatched the DITL now and I see that the wheel is indeed shown and mentioned there. A part of what I said still stands, I think, but there was definitely no shout out to the vday.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Terrible screencap but that angle showed the natural roots so well that I couldn't help it...
Someone take my Photoshop licence away pls. jk who has money for photoshop these days
You can see my amazing colour matching skills if you look at the sideburns
liola
rankussy

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm Terrible screencap but that angle showed the natural roots so well that I couldn't help it...
Someone take my Photoshop licence away pls. jk who has money for photoshop these days
You can see my amazing colour matching skills if you look at the sideburns
While I don't think he'd look bad because he's just a handsome man, I do think the black is way more striking on him. It's what makes him stand out, it's the color that makes him look the best imo and it's just a lovely contrast with fair skin and blue eyes. I hope he keeps it for much longer, though i know how much of a pain it is to dye your hair and have different brows lol i was red for 7 years and a couple of months ago i tried out a color closer to the natural and while it looks good i don't feel myself and I think that's why Phil is keeping the black, at least for now!
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
George
sad dimple

Loved the video. It felt special especially because it came out of nowhere, Phil really tricked me to believe it would be yoga and I'm glad he did. If we had known we'd be getting what we want, we would probably be here complaining about the stuff we didn't get (like the bo best friend tag. But hey, there can always be part 2 ;) ).

Anyway, to what I really came here to say... Do you think they are going to get a dog (at same point) if Phil is allergic? If his symptoms got bad, they'd have to give it away. That would be tough for them and a dog, and they would probably get a lot of backlash on the internet (if they still are here at that point).
You should never go to sleep on an argument.