Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

liola wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm Terrible screencap but that angle showed the natural roots so well that I couldn't help it...
Someone take my Photoshop licence away pls. jk who has money for photoshop these days
You can see my amazing colour matching skills if you look at the sideburns
While I don't think he'd look bad because he's just a handsome man, I do think the black is way more striking on him. It's what makes him stand out, it's the color that makes him look the best imo and it's just a lovely contrast with fair skin and blue eyes. I hope he keeps it for much longer, though i know how much of a pain it is to dye your hair and have different brows lol i was red for 7 years and a couple of months ago i tried out a color closer to the natural and while it looks good i don't feel myself and I think that's why Phil is keeping the black, at least for now!
It's fascinating to see what that shade of brown would look like, those pictures are so cool.

But I'm definitely on #TeamKeepItBlack. He looks - well, striking is the best word for it I guess, with the black hair and pale skin and blue eyes. With brown hair he just looks like a normal not-super-eyecatching guy who should probably get some vitamin d. It's not that the brown looks bad, it's just that it makes him look overwhelmingly average.
autumnhearth
senpai

noodlebum wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:11 pm I rewatched the original day in the life and to be fair, they do go into Starbucks and order macchiatos, and Phil does point out the wheel at one point
Yep. My son is home sick today and we watched all the DITLs. It’s also seen through the tunnel (glass covered walkway).

Anyone have any idea what the wheel being gone or being replaced by a tram might be a metaphor for? I kinda doubt that even Dan had one in mind before saying that. Progress? Moving on/forward? Their wheel was taken down the same just two months before they moved to London (I saw their wheel because there have been a few versions).

I noticed towards the end of the video, when they were showing tweets with the suggestions for things they might be doing in the shows, that the central tweet for story requests was:

“Tell story’s about when y’all met”

I was very excited when I saw this, but now I’m kinda doubting that we would get any recounting of the day they met. It’s not in TATINOF, it’s not anywhere except the original tweets and booths from the day and Voldy. So one would assume it’s too personal. But how much are they opening up? Could a funny non-romantic anecdote or two work it’s way in?

That’s cool Susan. I like the way his roots looked and I remember one of Dan’s Twitter replies when he just wanted to start up a conversation about Phil’s hair one day.
He mentioned tips but maybe it could be the opposite. Though if Phil was to dye his tips what colors would you think would work? Blue? Silver? I like the auburn and black together myself. Also tips seem to work with a fringe but not so much with a quiff.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i'm gonna get sappy for a minute:
dnp really wanted to make us happy and to strengthen their relationship with us, the audience, and that's what dan mentioned ii was about. he said in a liveshow earlier this year:
"who are dan and phil? what is their relationship with their audience?"

and i just feel like they're really trying to open up a lot more, test their boundaries on camera, and connect a bunch with us.
this video was just.. beautiful.
you can call it "fan service" all you want, but that's not a bad thing. if "fan service" means being more carefree and open with us, then i'll take it, god damnit! it just makes me emotional seeing how much they've grown after 7 years of watching them.
:happytears:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
fancybum
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm Terrible screencap but that angle showed the natural roots so well that I couldn't help it...
Someone take my Photoshop licence away pls. jk who has money for photoshop these days
You can see my amazing colour matching skills if you look at the sideburns
Ooh I think they’re both pretty and equally striking. I prefer the black just because it’s so familiar, but he could totally pull that off too. I think he’s good as long as it’s a dark shade (and I like the idea of him embracing the hint of ginge), but honestly he’s just looking so good right now (not-fringe AND GLASSES COME ON) that I need him to let this settle for a bit before changing anything else. I can only take so much at a time.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

kavat
pastel persona

I just realized that while calling himself out for having a messy floor in pinof1 Phil says "there's literal pants on the floor". Why would he have underwear on the floor when having a guest over, I wonder... Also, they kept the Wall-E and that's just too cute. Phil struggling to find his words when asked about the tackle is just adorable. And then they fucking replay. The tackle. In slowmotion.

I'm fine.
liola
rankussy

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:06 pm
My god he keeps posting better and better pics I honestly don't know how many times I can call him handsome without feeling like it loses meaning. Just.. how can he look that good in a passport pic? What kinda magic is that? How blue can someone's eyes be??? :love2: :philtrash:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

Nice jacket Phil! I normally don’t get excited over passport photos but this makes everything feel closer. The anticipation is building.

Lol kavat I didn’t notice that. They were dirty boys with no shame or boundaries (between each other.) I got the sense from early videos that they were both kinda slobs, but they’ve obviously gotten much better with time. *stares at the heaps of laundry* around my bed. Wish I could say the same.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

why am I a shiny, terrible mess of a human being in my passport photo while Phil looks like he's basically modeling? Why is life so unfair :roll: I prefer his quiff a bit more kempt than it is in the photo, but god he still looks great so :philtrash:

I used to want Phil in his natural hair color (and still kinda do for a day, just to see it), but honestly I'm moving to #teamkeepitblack. It's just such a wonderful juxtaposition of light and dark on him :blackheart:
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
malday
emo goose

autumnhearth wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 pm He mentioned tips but maybe it could be the opposite. Though if Phil was to dye his tips what colors would you think would work? Blue? Silver? I like the auburn and black together myself. Also tips seem to work with a fringe but not so much with a quiff.
I'm with you, i think the auburn roots peeking under his fringe/quiff look better than any dyed tips would. He could just leave only that spot undyed, he works it well it made the cherry blossom pic stand out.
tyhane
delia smith

autumnhearth wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 pm I noticed towards the end of the video, when they were showing tweets with the suggestions for things they might be doing in the shows, that the central tweet for story requests was:

“Tell story’s about when y’all met”

I was very excited when I saw this, but now I’m kinda doubting that we would get any recounting of the day they met. It’s not in TATINOF, it’s not anywhere except the original tweets and booths from the day and Voldy. So one would assume it’s too personal. But how much are they opening up? Could a funny non-romantic anecdote or two work it’s way in?
I noticed that too, and I have strangely mixed feelings about it. I think the most likely option of what they'd do is similar to how they reacted to the pinof 1 lean-in and tackle. Like, they didn't take away the magic or shit all over it etc., but obviously they didn't stop and say "aww how cute" or anything like that. In other words, I think they'd do it how they've been doing a lot of things lately. Not giving any sort of explicit "confirmation" of anything, but also not going out of their way to dissuade or distant themselves from the conclusions that people would/do draw. In the context of talking about their first meeting, I think it'd go like the part I bolded; sharing funny, not blatantly romantic anecdotes. But I mean, no matter how it'd go, I wouldn't necessarily care, since that just seems... so personal? I wouldn't blame them for however they'd chose to portray it. I'm mainly just surprised that they'd even consider talking about it.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I'm so late to the party and I have nothing of worth to say, I've just missed this forum and I wanted to pop in and join in with everyone gushing over how lovely that video was. I've been distant lately as my life has shifted dramatically (for the better!!) and I haven't had as much time for dnp, but this drew me right back in and I just wanted to say how happy I am for how happy they seem, if that makes sense?

Also, regarding the question earlier about whether Phil's dog allergies will prevent them from getting a dog in future, they could totally get a hypoallergenic breed (hyperallergenic? am i making any sense idk) like a poodle cross, I'm pretty sure they're meant to be good for people with allergies as they don't shed fur!
drearyquery
drama llama

I know this has been mentioned and analyzed already but I still gotta say Phil refusing to swear amuses me. I totally get it bc I definitely wouldn’t swear in front of my grandparents. But I also wouldnt have my boyfriend stick his head in my crotch when I’m with my grandparents...
ratlad
angel bean

captainspacecoat wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:39 am I'm so late to the party and I have nothing of worth to say, I've just missed this forum and I wanted to pop in and join in with everyone gushing over how lovely that video was. I've been distant lately as my life has shifted dramatically (for the better!!) and I haven't had as much time for dnp, but this drew me right back in and I just wanted to say how happy I am for how happy they seem, if that makes sense?

Also, regarding the question earlier about whether Phil's dog allergies will prevent them from getting a dog in future, they could totally get a hypoallergenic breed (hyperallergenic? am i making any sense idk) like a poodle cross, I'm pretty sure they're meant to be good for people with allergies as they don't shed fur!
I'm very happy for you!! glad ur back!!
i love hypoallergenic dogs so much, but some people are allergic to the saliva but idk if phil is... isn't colin hypoallergenic? though they tend to get knots in their fur pretty easily if you miss days of brushing them :/
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

drearyquery wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:06 am But I also wouldnt have my boyfriend stick his head in my crotch when I’m with my grandparents...
:rofl: brilliant, thanks for giving me a laugh on a night of insomnia.

I wonder how many times we've all re-watched the video already. I actually can't remember if I watched it for the 3rd or 4th time an hour ago (lack of sleep :roll: ). Damn, but they're both stunning. I've been binge-watching Sophdoesnails' makeup videos and ended up looking more closely at Phil trying to work out if he had anything on. If they do, they certainly blend it well cos I can't tell at all.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm
sapienveneficus wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:46 pmPhil swearing! This may have been my favorite moment. Not because he swore, though that was certainly something I never thought we'd get to hear. But it was that attempt Dan made to get Phil out of his persona, and Phil obliged. It reminded me of that interview Caspar did with Joe last year, where he forced Joe to drop his media training just a bit and be honest. I really do hope this video is a sign of things to come. With a little more of them, and a little less of their personas. to love.
Ooh, this is a good point - and it actually makes me think of Dan's tweet yesterday alluding to Phil being scared of all the changes recently:
Not that I think Phil is letting Dan push him into anything he doesn't want to do, but I think in some instances Phil might have needed some coaxing in certain areas to take the plunge into something he wanted but was afraid to do.
Relevant to this... In rewatching the video for the 312th time, Phil saying that cursing "feels wrong in front of a camera" gave me a think. A very obvious and oft-discussed think, but a think nonetheless.

Is this the first time either one has brought up the effect a camera in their presence has on their behavior?

I mean, I know we bring it up all the time, but idk. It was nice to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. That the camera instinctually changes their behavior (or at least Phil's, but like... lbr).

And it makes me really think about how - much like the struggle Phil faced in cursing - he probably struggled to relearn eye contact with Dan in front of a camera, and then to relearn touching Dan in front of a camera. And how odd and tough and yeah, scary that was.

IDK, y'all. Maybe it's just late and I have feels.
ratlad
angel bean

i've only gave it one rewatch
idk why but it's kind of all overwhelming and too much to process at once. that makes me sound weak and dramatic, but i get that with a lot of things tbh. it's a good video to think about all day, but i wanna just let it exist and not watch it repetitively or else i'll spend an entire week staring at my ceiling in my bedroom.

where was i going with this?

edit bc i h8 double posting:
but oh hell yep @rizzo that's a Good Thought and interesting
i'm :( ugh, they've come so far...
Speedygonz33
squish

Lol I just explained Dan and Phil to my mom and showed her Dan’s new video. I promptly asked her afterward if she thought they were dating and she said: "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck" and I think this is now the best reasoning one can use to justify their “relationship” lol sorry about this random ramble it’s late in the US and just felt like I needed to say this
Fazbaz
dank meme

captainspacecoat wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:39 am Also, regarding the question earlier about whether Phil's dog allergies will prevent them from getting a dog in future, they could totally get a hypoallergenic breed (hyperallergenic? am i making any sense idk) like a poodle cross, I'm pretty sure they're meant to be good for people with allergies as they don't shed fur!
I actually have a hypoallergenic dog called Bichon Frisé. She has wool instead of fur and we keep it short (it has to be cut every 1-2 weeks) so we don’t have to comb her all the time and she doesn’t look like some of those puffed-up poodles and has little cute curls (nothing against poodles <3 ). She also doesn’t have the typical dog smell but smells more like a woolly jumper when she’s wet. :lol: She’d be perfect for DnP because she loves going on walks but is also satisfied with 10 minute walks and sleeping the rest of the day.

In his last liveshow Dan said that a dog boosts the family’s entire happiness by 50% and I never thought about it like that but it is completely true! So get a dog everyone if it’s in any way possible for you <3

Editing to say that the photos on Google don't do this breed justice this is what they can look like beneath all the combed-up wool :)
serenlas
tol bean

I also have a dog who's supposedly hypoallergenic. She's a cross between a bichon frise, shih tzu and cavalier and she doesn't shed at all. I'm sure they could get a dog if Phil spent some time around the hypoallergenic ones to see whether he reacts or not.

As for the video, I really really loved it. I so wish I was going to the tour! My daughter is going but the tickets were booked before I really got in to watching their videos and it's been arranged (for boring practical reasons that still unfortunately stand) that her dad will take her rather than me :cry: I'm guessing she won't be allowed to take photos/videos of the show but I hope she'll at least bring me home a programme or something :lol:
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i'm not having a great week so posting has been by the wayside, but i wanted to formally report for the record (lol) that i liked the video. (and the Sims, maybe my favourite ever)
yellowsubmarine wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm Regarding the last part of the video, yes it was very sweet how gently and calmly Dan tried to coax Phil to not only curse, but be open about why he didn't do it and giving him another space (his own channel) to do so. He did say "Phil, talk to ME", not, Phil come on tell US, or tell THEM. It's impressive to watch the many ways and layers that they know each other.
this.
this was the only real part that surprised me and felt quite vulnerable. i like the way you've put it here. it's not often we see this dynamic between them. when phil feels strongly about something you tend to see dan express his opinion, optionally whine, but ultimately back down (on camera anyway). the editing was intense; phil clearly still didn't want the moment to be easily isolated out of context and used, i don't think there ended up being much of an uninterrupted stretch of him saying 'fuck' from first to last mouth position (gimme that linguistics). someone else mentioned dan's intense grin and eye contact after and that made the moment feel even less acted out and genuine for me.

kind of hard to explain what i mean, but i noticed of the 3 yoga positions they tried phil had the least movement/physical risk each time, and was steady and solid, while dan flibbertigibbeted and exerted around him. australia ditl fold-over on the floor, radioshow constantly walking, dancing and wiggling hips during song breaks, and tatinof pacing the stage style. coupled with his obnoxious boasting into the camera lens at the end, and phil crinkle-eye laughing at his top/bottom innuendo while not taking the bait answering back in an innuendo (but also not dismissing the implication, either) and i got really old school vibes from them in this part. the whole video, actually. flashbacks of dan twerking to the camera and phil reaching out confidently to swat his bum to stop before the jumpcut (name that video. bc i can't remember); or cover him, pouting, in glittery tinsel. this is an energy between them on camera i find myself missing a lot but finding it hard to put into words.

like most everyone else, i enjoyed that all the 4th wall breaking came across on their terms, despite being requested. and that they were genuinely having fun, after some rough moments the last few months on that wall subject.

edit:
lilabet wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 am Rewatching and I can't believe Phil said "I'm dogging" :rofl:
lol me either, except it's the second mention/drawing attention to the term from dan. i just want a R18+ liveshow where i can send in premiums and talk to dan about his porn habits/fantasies, tbh.
art in avatar by lily
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 am
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm
sapienveneficus wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:46 pmPhil swearing! This may have been my favorite moment. Not because he swore, though that was certainly something I never thought we'd get to hear. But it was that attempt Dan made to get Phil out of his persona, and Phil obliged. It reminded me of that interview Caspar did with Joe last year, where he forced Joe to drop his media training just a bit and be honest. I really do hope this video is a sign of things to come. With a little more of them, and a little less of their personas. to love.
Ooh, this is a good point - and it actually makes me think of Dan's tweet yesterday alluding to Phil being scared of all the changes recently:
Not that I think Phil is letting Dan push him into anything he doesn't want to do, but I think in some instances Phil might have needed some coaxing in certain areas to take the plunge into something he wanted but was afraid to do.
Relevant to this... In rewatching the video for the 312th time, Phil saying that cursing "feels wrong in front of a camera" gave me a think. A very obvious and oft-discussed think, but a think nonetheless.

Is this the first time either one has brought up the effect a camera in their presence has on their behavior?

I mean, I know we bring it up all the time, but idk. It was nice to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. That the camera instinctually changes their behavior (or at least Phil's, but like... lbr).

And it makes me really think about how - much like the struggle Phil faced in cursing - he probably struggled to relearn eye contact with Dan in front of a camera, and then to relearn touching Dan in front of a camera. And how odd and tough and yeah, scary that was.

IDK, y'all. Maybe it's just late and I have feels.
I think your late night feels are right on point. It is really rare that we get to directly see them talk about how the camera changes their behavior.

It also it makes it stand out even more to me that in this case it was Dan appealing to Phil to do something scary - speaking as himself, not just the audience, and it feels like that's what made the difference. I would love to know how much coaxing it really took. We can see that things are removed, since Phil reaches for the cushion and then in the next jump the cushion is in Dan's hand and then in another jump he's reaching to put it back behind Phil. There must have been a whole part where Dan took the cushion from Phil while they were talking.

Most of the time on the gaming channel lately it feels like Dan's the one that freezes up when Phil does things unexpected. Phil seems to be the kind of person that takes a while to get somewhere mentally but once he does, he commits and follows through. Dan is almost the opposite; he seems really eager for big changes in a theoretical way but second guesses himself. (Not that I think Phil will suddenly start swearing, so this applies more to the eye contact/touching thing.)
mermaid blood wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 amkind of hard to explain what i mean, but i noticed of the 3 yoga positions they tried phil had the least movement/physical risk each time, and was steady and solid, while dan flibbertigibbeted and exerted around him. australia ditl fold-over on the floor, radioshow constantly walking, dancing and wiggling hips during song breaks, and tatinof pacing the stage style. coupled with his obnoxious boasting into the camera lens at the end, and phil crinkle-eye laughing at his top/bottom innuendo while not taking the bait answering back in an innuendo (but also not dismissing the implication, either) and i got really old school vibes from them in this part. the whole video, actually. flashbacks of dan twerking to the camera and phil reaching out confidently to swat his bum to stop before the jumpcut (name that video. bc i can't remember); or cover him, pouting, in glittery tinsel. this is an energy between them on camera i find myself missing a lot but finding it hard to put into words.
wow thanks now I wanna go rewatch the entire radio show :( :(
alien
procrastinator

I finally got around to watching the video for a second time and have some time for a couple thoughts.
There was this awkward tension I felt (and it could have just been me and not them) during the pinof tackle moment where I was bracing for another tackle coming on lol. I was like please no. The tackle is just so innocent and organic I didn’t want them to touch that haha.

They do look really good in each other’s clothes but why do their shoes look SO WEIRD on the other??

It’s cute how red dan gets from being upside down in the first yoga pose. Also I don’t even want to mention this but I can’t believe how bad they are at yoga. But maybe they just didn’t warm up at all prior.

“You spat on me!” This part was so funny I rewatched it several times before continuing.

I can’t get over how boyish dan is in the face sometimes. I see it a lot in the part after the 3rd yoga pose where he’s up close to the camera. Ever since he showed us those childhood vids of him I can’t help but see that little face sometimes. Anyone know what I’m talking about or just me?

At 14:53 dan is just so endearing “how do you feel?”

I’ve been excited for the tour since the jump and haven’t wanted/needed any more info about it but the more I do hear gets me even more excited! After seeing the sketches for the stage though I really really hope there aren’t many flashing lights that occur. (Lindsay stirlings concert was a nightmare because of that)
hello9217
flower crown

alien wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:54 pm I finally got around to watching the video for a second time and have some time for a couple thoughts.
There was this awkward tension I felt (and it could have just been me and not them) during the pinof tackle moment where I was bracing for another tackle coming on lol. I was like please no. The tackle is just so innocent and organic I didn’t want them to touch that haha.
Yes! The way Phil was turned toward Dan and it looked like he was fidgeting slightly and my first thought was 'is he about to tackle him again.' I had to pause it at that moment because it was something I definitely did not want to see. Like you said it's best to leave the pinof moments alone.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alien wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:54 pmI finally got around to watching the video for a second time and have some time for a couple thoughts.
I think Phil seemed slightly affronted by Dan asking - the sort of thing where there's an obvious answer (nervous, flirting, first day-date) that he fully expects Dan knows and knows Phil can't actually say and therefore he doesn't know why Dan is posing that question on camera.