Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Wow, the whining is funny. He starts off looking like such a bab, I still hardly believe he’s the same person.
Kimship
glabella

Okay, so I've just fallen into this small hole of watching people try to follow along with a Bob Ross tutorial and now I SO want Deppy to try and do one. It would be so awful and funny.
As long as they use the correct tools. Too many people keep trying with the wrong brushes and knives and stuff and it's frustrating rather than fun to watch.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

Kimship wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:35 am Okay, so I've just fallen into this small hole of watching people try to follow along with a Bob Ross tutorial and now I SO want Deppy to try and do one. It would be so awful and funny.
As long as they use the correct tools. Too many people keep trying with the wrong brushes and knives and stuff and it's frustrating rather than fun to watch.
oh i would eat that up
i would bathe in it
i would drink the bath water
i think it'd be a perfect phil video
good suggestion
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
chiccola
sofa crease

Phil followed a fan on twitter could be a misclick, or maybe they're getting an angry Phil DM :rage: :frantictyping:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Probably just a misclick :lol: You need to be on someone's profile to follow them though, right?
They're everywhere :tinfoil:
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: she/her

oh yeah, they click around on twitter profiles. we got confirmation of that from dan at least, last year, though i can't recall how. i just always hope its extremely sporadic because that shit can't be good for your mental health, lol. i enjoy my anonymity so much.
KatjaZoe wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:50 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 am I also love Dan's whiny voice at the "you don't even know my name" part. Are there any compilations of Dan whining in that specific tone? Surely he's done it more than once before but the "you have another friend" one is all that's coming to mind.
They're not all in that exact tone but I'm going to take this opportunity to plug one of my fav dnp compilations. So adorable.

omigosh, how did i forget this! and our own @oqua too, i'm ashamed. i'd forgotten a lot of those whines. too endearing.
now i want an updated version.
honeybee wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:08 pm I was trying to find one bit in the sims where Dan says "What are we even gonna spend it ooonnn" in a whiny tone. Cannot for the life of me find it, tho in the process I did find this one (at 4:19) where he's complaining about kitchen tiles lmao:

yesss i think i know the first one you mean but i can't remember either. that bottom lip...so can we agree baby!dan is a thing, or does that crossover too much with the sexual roleplay subculture which i don't really intend to evoke in this context, lol. maybe moreso brat!dan.
alittledizzy wrote:This is from the last page but I just wanted to bring it back - I noticed the guy's phone case, and aww. I hope Dan noticed and appreciated that his edgy white dude audience and his queer audience actually can nicely overlap.
*phil voice* yiiiiiiiih. i'd like to see some more acknowledgment of fan diversity (in general, not just the one described here) in their likes, tbh. after attending tatinof and seeing 30% of the audience were male and maybe half of that at least appeared to be adult men and not teens, it makes a lasting impact on perception that i feel is important to both them, and the phandom.
LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:42 am I really hope the gaming channel doesn't die during the tour—filming a longer series and chopping it up would definitely be less effort than making a standalone video for every week.
that's a good point if it's just a time/effort/emotional investment in the storyline pay off equation going into tour. they seem to like having feedback though between instalments which is lost when you bulk film like that. even two at a time though would be useful you'd think. edit: i'm still bitter about Dream Daddy.
art in avatar by lily
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I've heard of bratting as begging to be smacked, but bdsm can be whatever you want it to be (and ofc whining here and there doesn't have to be that at all). Wow, I have nothing more to contribute, what a gem :roll:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

LtrllySusan wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:58 am Probably just a misclick :lol: You need to be on someone's profile to follow them though, right?
They're everywhere :tinfoil:
You can follow someone from your feed but that would mean he was going to do something with a tweet (block mute share etc) as he would be in that drop down menu
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

flarequake wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:29 am I've heard of bratting as begging to be smacked, but bdsm can be whatever you want it to be (and ofc whining here and there doesn't have to be that at all). Wow, I have nothing more to contribute, what a gem :roll:
ohhh, interesting. maybe i shouldn't use brat publicly, lol. i say it between friends to refer to his behaviour dynamic with phil occasionally as a lighthearted thing, but i'm sheltered when it comes to subculture terminology and how that might be read by others.

i'm having a flashback to a whole involved conversation on the site that shall not be named about how dan probably isn't into bdsm because of that vyou where he said having sex with this (male) character would be 'scary'. it was goddamn adorable. (dan in the clip, not the conversation). i'll try and look for it before i sleep and abuse my privileges and edit this post if i find it.

edit: cough

Last edited by mermaid blood on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: found it
art in avatar by lily
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Wow, I’ve never seen that clip before, the Batman voice is scary anyway, I’ve never liked it in the movies. With how he’s joked about kinks including choking and then joked that it’s the one kink he doesn’t actually have, well, who knows really, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s into a few things. I wouldn’t worry too much about calling him a brat or a baby, it’s not being said in a bdsm context here.
liola
rankussy

So, do we think Phil is posting the vloggy goodness tonight? It's exactly one week til the first show, it would be a great time to post the last bit of promo and also drop the website to start collecting requests, or at least give people time to. Or are they going to open the requests the same day as the show just so they don't have enough time to prepare? I can't imagine what kind of traffic overload there would be n that case..
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
dancy
procrastinator

Yeah, I'm thinking Phil will upload the video either today or tomorrow and I've been wondering when they're gonna put up the website too but I can't imagine they'd do it on the day of a show.

Anyway, since there's not much going on right now, I thought I'd update the ticket sales overview. I have to say the US is a bit of a pain in the butt because the venues tend to be larger and more confusing than those in other places, such as the UK. I tried though but again I can't guarantee all of this is entirely correct, so if anyone sees any errors, feel free to say so!

US
26/6 – Philadelphia* (3119)
29/6 – Denver (5000)
1/7 – Dallas (6350?**)
2/7 – Austin (8000)
3/7 – Houston (6400?***)
5/7 – St Augustine* (4092)
6/7 – Orlando (2731)
7/7 – Clearwater (2180)
8/7 – Ft Lauderdale (2700)
10/7 – Augusta (2800)
11/7 – Greensboro (7061****)
12/7 – Richmond (3565)
13/7 – Reading (1752)
14/7 – Newark (2800)
15/7 – New York (4500?*****)
19/7 – Hartford (2800)
20/7 – Providence (3100)
21/7 – Schenectady (3250)
22/7 – Pittsburgh (2676)
24/7 – Detroit (5048)
25/7 – Chicago (4400)
26/7 – Minneapolis (2579)
27/7 – Milwaukee (4086)
28/7 – Cincinnati (2719)
29/7 – St Louis (4500)
31/7 – Cleveland (2714)
1/8 – Columbus (7000?******)
2/8 – Louisville (2406)
3/8 – Nashville (2472)
4/8 – Atlanta (4678)
7/8 – Phoenix (5000)
8/8 – San Diego (2967)
9/8 – Los Angeles (7100)
11/8 – Seattle matinee + evening (1800)

Asia
15/9 – Singapore (1706)
18/9 – Hong Kong (1595)
21/9 – India (2763)

*= these are the two the bonus venues they added in February for whatever reason (which I really wish they hadn’t done) and I think that explains the low ticket sales.
**= the maximum capacity is 6350, however a large part of the balcony is not available for purchase, so I don’t know how many tickets there actually are in total. Definitely over 2500 though and since there’s about 250 tickets left, at least 90% must have been sold.
***= max. capacity is 6400, but the balcony has been removed from purchase, so I don’t know for sure how many tickets there were in total but I would say at least half have been sold.
****= this one has 2000+ reserved seats and 5000+ general admission/lawn tickets. There’s less than 100 reserved tickets left but I have no idea how many general admission tickets have been sold.
*****= max. capacity is 14500 but I think they’ve chosen the Coastline Theater Configuration, which has 4500 seats.
******= max. capacity is 18809, however according to the venue website there’s multiple theater set-ups with 2000-7000 seats, which I think is what they’ve gone for. I’m going with the assumption that it’s 7000 but I could be wrong.

There’s also a couple of venues that don’t have an interactive seating map, which means you can’t see the available tickets. In those cases, I have no clue how many have been sold.

Sold out: Reading, Newark, Seattle matinee + evening
99%: Minneapolis (there’s only two wheelchair accessible tickets left)
90-98%: Dallas**, Providence
80-89%: Denver, Detroit, Cincinnati, Nashville, San Diego
70-79%: Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, Richmond, Schenectady, St Louis, Singapore
60-69%: Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Louisville
50-59%: Austin, Houston***, Clearwater, New York*****, Hong Kong
40-49%: Philadelphia*, Augusta, Columbus******, Phoenix
30-39%: India
20-29%: St Augustine*
Unknown: Hartford, Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Greensboro**** (all I know is that 95% of reserved seats have been sold)
autumnhearth
senpai

liola wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:38 pm So, do we think Phil is posting the vloggy goodness tonight? It's exactly one week til the first show, it would be a great time to post the last bit of promo and also drop the website to start collecting requests, or at least give people time to. Or are they going to open the requests the same day as the show just so they don't have enough time to prepare? I can't imagine what kind of traffic overload there would be n that case..
I sure hope so. We have the trailer yet too. How late could that possibly be pushed? Sat & Sun would be ideal, but surely no later than Wednesday for the trailer.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

The trailer will definitely include what kind of input they want us to submit for the shows, so it should be at least some days before Brighton.
My guess: vlog today, trailer/instructions Tuesday, joint LS Thursday :love2:

@ mods: I have an important question
(sorry for bold face lol but I didn't wanna tag all the mods either)

How much spoilering regarding the tour will be allowed in the main thread?
I wasn't around during Tatinof. Will people talk about the exact content of the show ("First they did this, then that happened, then that, oh and there was a big surprise at the end, let me tell you about it"), or will it only be opinions ("It was great, go see it for yourself!")?

I am not quite on the Dan-level of hating spoilers but I don't want to know everything. I was glad I didn't know the twist(s) in Tatinof when watching the recording, but I also don't wanna stay away from the forum until June.
DatCog
blobfish

Weird to think that this time next week the first show will have happened and I'll be sat in the theatre waiting for the evening show in eager anticipation! Hope the boys are enjoying their last weekend at home for a few months. Surely they'll need to get either the vloggy vid or trailer up within the next day or two...time is running short now :D
hello9217
flower crown

@dancy Wow thanks for all that info. What I could see happening is as the shows come closer to those ones that are less than 50%, tickets will probably go on sale at a reduced price since they are still a couple months away. I have no clue why they added shows to places that didn't even sell out yet :shrug: and the India show makes since for how it's doing because I saw some people on twitter asking them to change the date because it falls during exam week there.
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

I was quite surprised when I saw how fast the Dublin tickets (and the ones for the show they added) sold out, as May 29th and 30th tend to be the days exams start in all secondary schools, and college/uni exams tend to be around the same times. Across the two shows they've sold 2480 tickets, so I'm predicting that the shows will be mostly a mix of under 12s and people in their 20s. Is anyone here going to either of those shows so they can let me know later on if I was right?
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

hello, im a semi-long time lurker but this current topic of "whiny dan" greatly intrigued me enough to make an account. i have some background in psychology (well, child psychology specifically since i work in a daycare) so ill be cautiously writing this first post with that in mind...(disclaimer: i'm just using my knowledge and experience to compare their behaviors, i dont actually think of them as literal children)
i have no research to support this, all i have is work experience and early childhood educator license.

in all types of relationships, trust and respect always plays a huge part. that's why i've always found their dynamic quite interesting. you can tell much much trust they have in each other. the fact that dan feels comfortable to act whiny or playfully tease or be mean to phil a lot means he knows how far he could push his buttons without ruining the chemistry. you could say that phil has just a lot of patience, or on the flip side, he knows dan enough that he knows he just means well. phil also has his moments of teasing dan, though he rarely "whines". if he wants dan to do something, he just says it in a firm tone. but when dan wants him to do something, there's almost always some form of "please" in his intonation.

another observation is that dan always seems to be the "speak as he thinks" kind of guy. as a result, its a mess sometimes. meanwhile, phil is more cautious. he seems to be the type that - in terms of serious matters - considers all his options before making an action, or doing nothing at all. but once he decided on something, its very concrete. he used to have this image of an "innocent cinnamon roll" by the fans but in reality, he seems to be at ease on setting limits and expectations towards dan, albeit we don't really get to see the full extent except for those "dominant phil" compilations people made on youtube. when its time to stop, then its time to stop. (excuse me while i rewatch that clip of him saying "shut up" to dan one more time) dan, on the other hand, seems to use phil as a safety blanket. someone made a comment once that whenever either of them are alone at home, dan acts very jumpy and scared while phil is very restless. i found this interesting. in simple terms, dan feels very safe around him and in return, he flourishes and is able to do a lot of productive things. while phil perhaps feels worried because he knows exactly how dan acts whenever he is away.

now, in terms of attachment, a willful child to an authoritative parent (sets limits and boundaries but very responsive to their child's wants/needs) means they are comfortable to show their emotions and desires without the fear of being judged or demean them for their thoughts and actions. of course, the parent respects their child's wants and needs so they accommodate that while keeping certain limits in mind. the child also knows and respects this. they know their limits and expectations but they are also aware that it is safe for them to disagree and be selfish once in a while. there is neither neglect nor forceful demands in this type of relationship, just a healthy balance of trust and respect towards each other with a dash of open communication.

anyways, my last and final point is: phil is a great dad yall.
"you are next to me in my life"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Hmm a generic Dan tweet...I'll take it but what I really want is Phil's vloggy goodness thanks. I mean, it makes a lot of sense to upload it a week before the first show to add some hype and whatnot

Edit:
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

ame wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:03 pm hello, im a semi-long time lurker but this current topic of "whiny dan" greatly intrigued me enough to make an account. i have some background in psychology (well, child psychology specifically since i work in a daycare) so ill be cautiously writing this first post with that in mind...(disclaimer: i'm just using my knowledge and experience to compare their behaviors, i dont actually think of them as literal children)
i have no research to support this, all i have is work experience and early childhood educator license.

another observation is that dan always seems to be the "speak as he thinks" kind of guy. as a result, its a mess sometimes. meanwhile, phil is more cautious. he seems to be the type that - in terms of serious matters - considers all his options before making an action, or doing nothing at all. but once he decided on something, its very concrete. he used to have this image of an "innocent cinnamon roll" by the fans but in reality, he seems to be at ease on setting limits and expectations towards dan, albeit we don't really get to see the full extent except for those "dominant phil" compilations people made on youtube. when its time to stop, then its time to stop. (excuse me while i rewatch that clip of him saying "shut up" to dan one more time) dan, on the other hand, seems to use phil as a safety blanket. someone made a comment once that whenever either of them are alone at home, dan acts very jumpy and scared while phil is very restless. i found this interesting. in simple terms, dan feels very safe around him and in return, he flourishes and is able to do a lot of productive things. while phil perhaps feels worried because he knows exactly how dan acts whenever he is away.

This was a very interesting and educational read for me, so I do hope you stick around continue to post here! What you said about Dan using Phil as a safety blanket and also their behaviours when they're home alone got me thinking. I'm in no way qualified to talk about this, but I see some of myself in them so I'll share my thoughts on it.
Both Dan and Phil have said that they are anxious people/have anxiety (Dan in Trying to Live my Truth and Phil in A Tour of Phil's Brain) and I think that the way they act when they're home alone tends to be a manifestation of their anxiety. As someone with anxiety, there are certain people who I feel really chill and safe around, and after I've/they've left the house/room or whatever I tend to feel really jumpy and paranoid, and as soon as they come back, even if I don't mention that I'm worrying, I'm able to rationalise more. So maybe they use each other's presence as a buffer for these feelings? (Not that they use each other as a coping mechanism ( ;) ) , but they just don't feel like that when they're around each other). I'm not sure if this made any sense, but hey-ho.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

@ame i agree with this so hard, they balance each other out it seems.
it also kinda reminds me a lot of when dan was explaining what being in love is like in a livestream... fear of the person not being there... hmm.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
lesterchuu
philussy

TheHomosexualAgenda wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:41 pm This was a very interesting and educational read for me, so I do hope you stick around continue to post here! What you said about Dan using Phil as a safety blanket and also their behaviours when they're home alone got me thinking. I'm in no way qualified to talk about this, but I see some of myself in them so I'll share my thoughts on it.
Both Dan and Phil have said that they are anxious people/have anxiety (Dan in Trying to Live my Truth and Phil in A Tour of Phil's Brain) and I think that the way they act when they're home alone tends to be a manifestation of their anxiety. As someone with anxiety, there are certain people who I feel really chill and safe around, and after I've/they've left the house/room or whatever I tend to feel really jumpy and paranoid, and as soon as they come back, even if I don't mention that I'm worrying, I'm able to rationalise more. So maybe they use each other's presence as a buffer for these feelings? (Not that they use each other as a coping mechanism ( ;) ) , but they just don't feel like that when they're around each other). I'm not sure if this made any sense, but hey-ho.

speaking as someone who has social anxiety as well, i relate heavily to dan where i feel better when im "busy with work" since it takes me away from negative thoughts but i digress

its not so much a coping mechanism, but a natural part of attachment. feeling safe around a certain person or persons means you have a healthy sense of attachment to them. but satefy in a sense that you still acknowledge the other person as their own person. it only becomes a concern if the dynamic is turning one-sided. adding from my own experience at work, when a child had a stressful situation, the best thing to be is to show a calm face and reassure them. simply saying "you are safe now. i am here with you." is sometimes enough. as the adult, i acknowledge myself as the "capable" one and i know that i need to be relied upon by the child, but in retrospect, as someone who hides their anxiety to others besides my close friends, i find comfort in children's honesty and the willingness to accept me for who i am. i dont need to pretend like i got my shit together, they dont care. all they care about is that i play with them and keep them safe from harm.

but yeah, going back to d+p, you can tell that they support each other and has a sense of balance in their relationship (whatever it is). when they are together, they are their best versions of themselves. they push each other to do greater things in a positive way. when one of them has an idea, the other is there to fill in the details. an example i could think of is the truth bombs (there was another one but its at the tip of my tongue right now) where phil originally thought of it as a simple ice breaker and when they turned it into a game, dan had helped to give structure and form to turn it into a board game.
lesterchuu
philussy

ratlad wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 pm @ame i agree with this so hard, they balance each other out it seems.
it also kinda reminds me a lot of when dan was explaining what being in love is like in a livestream... fear of the person not being there... hmm.
hmmm its almost like he is speaking from experience 🤔
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

Hey, is it just me or did they change the thumbnail on the new dapg video like twice or something? Am I going crazy?
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
knq
lava lamp

The current conversation reminded me, I often wonder how Dan and Phil know when they're pushing or teasing each other too much and when it's still funny or entertaining the audience. Like, in 'How To Make Dan Cringe' Dan says 'this isn't a funny thing that you're doing for a vlog' and then it is, in fact, a funny thing they do for a vlog. And they're both clearly okay with that, so it makes me wonder what the words are for 'actually stop' when saying 'actually stop' is often a part of their humor. Like, do they have a comedy safeword?