Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

fancybum wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:36 pm
rizzo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm
fancybum wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:10 pm
flarequake wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:12 pm I deciphered some of the writing on the orange tape around the props on the table at 7.16-7.43 of the WITL, under spoiler cos, well, spoilers:
Tide Pod Game 1 by the flower crown
Police Bondage by the handcuffs

What might be Can Can 1 also by the flower crown, or maybe Candy Land?

The ones to the right are harder to read, but one looks like it starts with Backo, under the makeup brush and another looks like Need. I have no idea tbh.
My thoughts re: “Police Bondage”
1. what
2. the fuck

And “Can Can” could explain the fishnets, to which I say: refer to my thoughts on police bondage.

I’m not sure how these things can possibly make us see them as people and not personas but sure, I’m down. Is it weird to want them to put edible tide pods in the vip bags?
My understanding was that he was being sarcastic about the fishnets, given the bit with Dan saying, "Yep, nothing to do with the projector screen..."

Re: Police Bondage and all the other weird prop shit... I'm taking it as the show addressing one of Dan's themes: "The consequences of giving the people what they want and whether it's a good idea or not." As in, they'll give us police bondage and we're going to hate it. (Which tbh just reminds me of the fanfic bit of TATINOF and that makes me want to melt into my seat from cringe.)
Can I just say about the fanfic part in tatinof that it was about on par with the cringe of a lot of the show (no offence to the show as an overall experience)? I’m interested in why that one part seems especially cringey to so many people. Is it because they/we don’t want a mirror turned on us as observers? We want D&P to pretend to be unaware about certain fandom activities or interests because it can be uncomfortable? Because I think it must be equally uncomfortable for them to have to turn a blind eye toward certain things (to varying degrees, granted) to maintain.. what? Distance? Feigned ignorance? And for what? Because I don’t think there’s any particular judgement inherent in acknowledgement. The fanfic section wasn’t about judging or mocking partakers of fanfiction, it was a comedic representation of them, as actual people with agency, being put in situations a lot of people like to imagine them in (taken to a ridiculous extreme, of course, for a comedy show about the internet exploding) and how they might feel about it in reality (and as a result of that, how it would differ from the fantasy). And I think the thought process behind that (viewer fantasy vs. D&P reality) is behind a lot of the weirdness of some ‘Dan being Dan’ moments (like the aggressive feeding of Phil while staring down the camera and the Phil/jacket story, and probably too many others to name). I think the concept of this tour (and the steady humanizing of themselves they’ve both been intentionally doing since the end of the last tour to lead up to this) is really cool. Those Dan moments, the fanfic section to a lesser extent, and (in theory so far) this whole tour is just them asserting their own humanity outside of their roles as performers. It’s just?? I like??

(but like. Yes, there’s still fear. Why are there handcuffs.)
You're totally right and I can't really disagree with any of this. Though, the reason I personally cringe is 2-fold:

Whether or not there's added humor/a comedic storyline involved, I don't like the inaccurate and somewhat negative reflection of fanfic. The mirror they turned on us was more of a fun-house mirror. They're showing us a caricature of ourselves and then laughing at it, so I perceive it as more mocking than it is meta.

I also hate to use this word and think it may come back to bite me in the ass, but it was a little bit.... ship-bait-y. Mind you, I don't love any of those Dan moments either, so I'm being very consistant here when I say I don't enjoy them playing up the romantic ship for humor, especially when, in most cases, it actively works to mock us.

I guess my thing is... I don't mind them bringing up fanfic, but when it gets to "Phil feeds Dan cake", I start to squirm. They're welcome to touch on their own humanity, but I'd personally rather see that by way of them behaving as they would normally around each other (within reason obviously) than acting out extreme fanfic to highlight the juxtaposition of that to reality.

In the end, I'll watch Dan and Phil do whatever and if that involves cop roleplay, I'll deal with it, but I won't like it.

obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

LtrllySusan
lava lamp

*continuously hits refresh on mailbox page*

Edit: Got the mail but don't want to commit to any answers right now; can someone post the full question list?
Last edited by LtrllySusan on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Some of these questions lend themselves to persona heavy answers. I'm struggling with trying to be creative.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:38 pm
[personal information removed at OP's request]
hello9217
flower crown

I currently have no creativity and don't want to give persona heavy answers because I feel like that's no fun and so many people will already say that so I'll have to come back to it later.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Ughh I wrote out a whole thing as an edit to my post but when I hit submit it timed out lol. Anyway, just scrolling through the form has me a little wary of how this is going to be a step away from their personas, even a little step. I'm sure that's just me being worried about the show having super cringe scenes like tatinof did (which idek why I'm worried about that, I should just wait to see what people say after the first show), and I'm kind of struggling to find things that make me step away from their personas to fill the boxes with.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 pm Ughh I wrote out a whole thing as an edit to my post but when I hit submit it timed out lol. Anyway, just scrolling through the form has me a little wary of how this is going to be a step away from their personas, even a little step. I'm sure that's just me being worried about the show having super cringe scenes like tatinof did (which idek why I'm worried about that, I should just wait to see what people say after the first show), and I'm kind of struggling to find things that make me step away from their personas to fill the boxes with.
This is me grasping at the hope that they're accurate about it not being TATINOF but I think getting the audience to submit persona heavy things could offer them something to rebut against?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

They've already gotten so many submissions that they've closed the submissions for now. I hope someone got screencaps of the questions because I'm so curious based on the persona discussion here
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Oh wow.. All I saw of the form were the Truth Bombs questions. I wish there had been the option to just submit five answers in total so you actually only submit good stuff instead of just filling out everything.
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 pm They've already gotten so many submissions that they've closed the submissions for now. I hope someone got screencaps of the questions because I'm so curious based on the persona discussion here
i literally never got either of my registration emails :sadgarbage:
Image Image
malday
emo goose

whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 pm They've already gotten so many submissions that they've closed the submissions for now. I hope someone got screencaps of the questions because I'm so curious based on the persona discussion here
seconding this! pour those spoilers, please! :pls:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I managed to get one for one of my two shows. I'm typing up the questions now.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
annetamiau
lady door

I'm really excited about II, but I think it will be very similar to TATINOF and very persona - heavy (despite what deppy say), just no llamas and lions this time. I don't see how the context (them on stage performing in front of a large audience) could promt them to be their real selves. Regardless of that, I'm really looking forward to the tour.

As for the fanfic segment in TATINOF, I couldn't care less what deppy think about people who read fanfiction. I disliked it because I found the whole "pretending to be the Brokeback Mountain cowboys" shipbait-y (considering the bigger picture). I reckon most people would agree it is shipbait-y if Joe and Caspar did it (for example), but for some reason Dan and Phil tend to get a pass.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I screenshot the submission form, so it's under the cut because it's so long.

Also to what alittledizzy said about them using persona heavy questions and answers to move away from that part of their branding, I really hope that's what they'll do, or at least filter out the really heavy ones for when they preform.
lilabet
philussy

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 pm I screenshot the submission form, so it's under the cut because it's so long.

Also to what alittledizzy said about them using persona heavy questions and answers to move away from that part of their branding, I really hope that's what they'll do, or at least filter out the really heavy ones for when they preform.
Oh thank god. It was way wordier than i was expecting. I found a missing word in one of the questions already. Let's see how many typos there are? If anyone has any suggestions they want to throw my way that would be great.

Also you can still participate. I just registered for the London show and got an email. :D
Last edited by lilabet on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
kavat
pastel persona

LtrllySusan wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:17 pm Oh wow.. All I saw of the form were the Truth Bombs questions. I wish there had been the option to just submit five answers in total so you actually only submit good stuff instead of just filling out everything.
You can choose to just fill in a few if you want to, according to the FAQ:
What if I don't want to fill out one of the sections?
None of the website is mandatory! If you only want to suggest one Truth Bombs answer for Phil, one funny 'good word' and a Dilemma for Dan - that's fine. Leave anything you don't want to answer blank.
The URL for the FAQ is Tour-Sponsorship, which is probably a mistake but makes me wonder if they're going to have a sponsor like they did for the US tatinof.
huphilpuffs
crusty sponge

here is a tumblr post with screencaps of all the questions for those interested!

also reading for then, I agree that a lot of them have potential to make parts of the show cringey. I also have no idea what to write for any of them so :shrug:
who met each other on the internet and created this entire world
lilabet
philussy

Would it be wrong of me to go really political for the Good Vs Evil section? It'll never get picked but I want to.
Phandom Gives
susan2
rainbow nerd

greenergrass
stress mushroom

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 pm I screenshot the submission form, so it's under the cut because it's so long.

Awesome, thanks!
George
sad dimple

I just died after reading the question about should they give the people what the people want or do what Dan and Phil want. :o :hmmm: :dead: :respekt:
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

susan2 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:35 pm
!!!! i'm excited.
lilabet
philussy

Question: where does the £ go in Capital Lester?
Phandom Gives
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

lilabet wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 pm Question: where does the £ go in Capital Lester?
It acts as the 'L' in both Captial and Lester