Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

I just stumbled across these gifs on my dash with the full caption for anyone who was wanting them!
fizzymcguire
tol bean
Pronouns: she/they

Ok so like I could totally be wrong, but re the apartment layout: to me it looks like its one apartment on two levels.

So the first floor -
The moon room is on the first floor as exhibited in A Sleepless Night With Phil 3 when Phil walks down the stairs and says he dosen't want to wake up Dan, as well as at 10:41 in A Week in the Life when you see the stairs behind Phil after he gets his haircut. The door next to the moon room looks like storage. (12:37 AWitL) In Dan's tinder video (rip) you see what looks like it could be the entrance, as well as another door.

Upstairs is the all purpose room. The bit with the shelves and piano is behind the stairs (12:20, AWITL)and connects via open concept to the the larger room with the tv and board game shelf.

I can't figure out how it connects to the kitchen and other den, BUT it looks like the door off the kitchen leads to a hallway that has the gaming room, and probably Phil's "room" as well as a bathroom??? The only thing I can think of as being the door to Dan's "office" is the glass panel on the side of the den. (In Trying to Live my Truth thats where Dan talks to himself from at 5:45 so like..maybe?) The walls also look like they could be the same room.

Idk man I think constantly about this I need help
rustysp00n
smol bean

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, I’ve come out of the depths of comfortable silence to make my first post, you know the drill. I find all the discussion lately incredible juicy and interesting, figured I may as well sign up just to tell you lovely bunch how much you’re all appreciated! I know after a rough day i love coming here and reading your thoughts. This little community is really great :platonic:

I have watched Deppy since 2011, got into tumblr around that time and had a little following. I get bored fast so I ditched them for a while, came back in 2012 and stayed until tatinof, ultimately giving up again from the content drought. For the past year I have been reading this forum. I am unfortunately not going to Interative Introverts, and i’m scared there will be a content drought. I am trying to seem hopeful because they say there will be plenty of content but... I have my doubts :shrug: Anyways, I am loving the new faces we are seeing from them! They seem so much more realistic and personal, it’s absolutely crazy how far they have come. I I literally sat with my mouth open watching the new vlog. So proud, so fond.

Didn’t intend for this to be long, sorry it’s kind of a dull first post but I just wanted to say, on the behalf of all lurkers, I genuinely love you guys and these conversations and I am excited to become a part of the bants instead of watching from afar :mrgreen:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Hello and :welcome: to both of you!

@fizzymcguire -- I personally cannot bend my head around the apartment(s) at all, but thinking about it is certainly a constant source of entertainment here, so glad to have you join in! :tu:

@rustysp00n -- thank you :thx: for coming out of lurkdom and being so sweet! Please stay and make our community just that much more lovely. :lilheart:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

@fizzymcguire you sorta make a point. honestly, i feel like optical illusion comes into play sometimes. the walls are curved, someone mentioned the patio colours/textures are inconsistent. for all we know it could be a weird modern styled flat with all the asymmetrical themes and stuff.

@rustysp00n lol i mightve known you from back then, just kidding i dont know. i knew a bunch of people from the phandom back in 2011/2012 and i was known for my art too, but like you ive had my break. i knew some mutuals who have completely phased out of the phandom and changed their tumblrs completely, but i still see them on my twitter/insta from time to time. its kinda sad cz im pretty much back to square one now since everyone i was close to that like deppy had moved on and didnt come back. (anyways, thats partly why i made an account here in the first place) man, its like an episode of "where are they now?"

im sad and have no friends
"you are next to me in my life"
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

Foofie wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:17 am Playing devils advocate, what makes everyone so sure they aren't living separately in the two apartments? Again not seeing as many videos as my more experienced, wiser, fellow phans..phannies, Yeah not sure what "we" are called yet, I'm not sure what to think. So any tips or videos you want to enlighten me with, I'd be greatly appreciative. I'm just happy to not be the only one who didn't think the apartment flowed lol.
I did wonder that at first myself, but on top of the general apartment being so impersonal, and what everyone else has said, there are a few things that to me 100% prove they live together in the upstairs apartment. We know the moon room which is confirmed as Dan's bedroom is in the upstairs apartment, as well as his piano.

Phil has mentioned watching telly with his parents upstairs (getting chocolate on the settee), which I can't see him doing if that wasn't 'his' apartment too. Plus above the piano are a bunch of Buffy box sets and graphic novels, which will be Phil's without a doubt (he freaking loves Buffy). Finally, he tweeted a photo of a bug on his bedroom floor - which was wood. All the flooring in the downstairs apartment is white tile.

I hope that helps. Come get sucked into the great void that is apartment talk. :D
fizzymcguire wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:24 am I can't figure out how it connects to the kitchen and other den, BUT it looks like the door off the kitchen leads to a hallway that has the gaming room, and probably Phil's "room" as well as a bathroom??? The only thing I can think of as being the door to Dan's "office" is the glass panel on the side of the den. (In Trying to Live my Truth thats where Dan talks to himself from at 5:45 so like..maybe?) The walls also look like they could be the same room.
The issue with this to me is that there is 100% another kitchen on the top all purpose room. When dan sits in his chair by the piano for liveshows, it's to the left (I saw a bit/reflection of it once), and it's not the baking kitchen.

Ugh, this whole thing makes my brain hurt. Tonight/tomorrow if I get time I may do a quick sketch out of what we defo know, since I think we probably know more than we think.
blackdenim
procrastinator

sparkle wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:29 pm
With the two flat theory - if they had one flat for living and a second flat for filming could flat #2 be written off as a business expense?
Yes, rent and bills for their second flat could be declared on their tax return, so they wouldn't have to pay tax on the portion of their incomes that they used to pay for it. Same as if they were renting an office.

Also I am constantly amazed at the amount of people that think it's totally fine and normal for an apartment in (probably central) London, where space is at a premium, to have two kitchens. That's the thing that made me completely convinced it was two separate flats.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

welcome to the first time posters! so exciting. i hope more people continue to speak up who wanna have a voice, as we go into the the tour.
:elephant: :frantictyping:

i've wanted to post reacting to the WITL but i've just been too tired after work. it is so gooood, i enjoyed the super casual style this time, it felt right. thank you to everyone who has posted their thoughts and timestamps so far, i'm enjoying the discussion through my brain puddle.
art in avatar by lily
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

Me, chilling in the second lounge attached to the second kitchen of my host family's three floor duplex apartment in north-central London, scrolling through the two flat theory again :corn:
Foofie
smol bean

Thanks for all the replies! I suppose the apartment is just all apart of the mystery that surrounds Dan and Phil :lol:

SHITiveHITtheFANdom wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:22 pm Me, chilling in the second lounge attached to the second kitchen of my host family's three floor duplex apartment in north-central London, scrolling through the two flat theory again :corn:
Wait..you've thrown me for another loop lol. Is this an actual thing in the UK? Apartments having two kitchens? I've been to a house that had two kitchens. They had their mother/mother in law living in the basement so they turned it into her own little home.
sparkle
blobfish

blackdenim wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:09 am
Yes, rent and bills for their second flat could be declared on their tax return, so they wouldn't have to pay tax on the portion of their incomes that they used to pay for it. Same as if they were renting an office.

Also I am constantly amazed at the amount of people that think it's totally fine and normal for an apartment in (probably central) London, where space is at a premium, to have two kitchens. That's the thing that made me completely convinced it was two separate flats.
Same. That and the subtle differences between them. Like I've previously lived in two separate apartments in the same building (we moved upstairs after three months) and if I showed you them without context you'd assume I lived in one massive apartment. But there were subtle differences, the blinds were in different styles (horizontal vs vertical) there were two kitchens with different layouts (L shaped vsrectangular) and the windows were different (smaller and wider vs long and thin). But without knowing that you could easily assume I lived somewhere with two reception areas, four bathrooms, and six bedrooms

Its more plausible to me that there would be two similar apartments with consistent styles to each, than one RENTED apartment that has such different styles within it.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

SHITiveHITtheFANdom wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:22 pm Me, chilling in the second lounge attached to the second kitchen of my host family's three floor duplex apartment in north-central London, scrolling through the two flat theory again :corn:
I hope your fridge isn't this empty though :lol:

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I deciphered some of the writing on the orange tape around the props on the table at 7.16-7.43 of the WITL, under spoiler cos, well, spoilers:
Tide Pod Game 1 by the flower crown
Police Bondage by the handcuffs

What might be Can Can 1 also by the flower crown, or maybe Candy Land?

The ones to the right are harder to read, but one looks like it starts with Backo, under the makeup brush and another looks like Need. I have no idea tbh.
fancybum
senpai

flarequake wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:12 pm I deciphered some of the writing on the orange tape around the props on the table at 7.16-7.43 of the WITL, under spoiler cos, well, spoilers:

The ones to the right are harder to read, but one looks like it starts with Backo, under the makeup brush and another looks like Need. I have no idea tbh.
My thoughts re: “Police Bondage”
1. what
2. the fuck

And “Can Can” could explain the fishnets, to which I say: refer to my thoughts on police bondage.

I’m not sure how these things can possibly make us see them as people and not personas but sure, I’m down. Is it weird to want them to put edible tide pods in the vip bags?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Foofie
smol bean

Hi..me again with more thoughts and questions 8-)

This is 100% in no way me being anti-phan. I am a fangirl and shipper of all things. I would absolutely love them to be together and happy forever lol. I guess it's a matter of faith and watching them for awhile, but how do yall stay so positive that they are actually in a relationship? I guess I can't fathom why they would want to hide. On the other side, if they aren't together that means they would be hiding any other potential relationships too. My brain can't compute.

Was there really a rumor going around about Phil having a secret wife? How did such a thing get started? I suppose if you're listening for back ground noises there are some videos where it seems clear they aren't alone. Like in "Giving the people what they want" when they were holding the clothes to go change you can clearly hear a door shut in the back ground. *Not trying to be confrontational and start something but legit curious*

Sigh...maybe this is why I didn't watch them for years. I was protecting myself from all the confusion and obsessing :lol:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Foofie wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 pm Was there really a rumor going around about Phil having a secret wife? How did such a thing get started?
Guys... My friend works in the supermarket that Cornelia shops at and she says that Dan is actually in love with Martyn and that that is why he clings to Phil. Please don't tell anyone. My friend said I can't tell anyone!

much appreciation for those of you using spoiler tags to discuss the II spoilers
sonicgreen
woodland creature

fancybum wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:10 pm
flarequake wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:12 pm I deciphered some of the writing on the orange tape around the props on the table at 7.16-7.43 of the WITL, under spoiler cos, well, spoilers:

1. what
2. the fuck

And “Can Can” could explain the fishnets, to which I say: refer to my thoughts on police bondage.

I’m not sure how these things can possibly make us see them as people and not personas but sure, I’m down. Is it weird to want them to put edible tide pods in the vip bags?
Would just like to mention I think the “Dan’s fishnets” was a joke. I’m pretty sure they were picking out some kind of set piece for projectors?? I know nothing on set design, but it was the same company as the flooring they were also picking. Unless there were stockings with the props?
hello9217
flower crown

Foofie wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 pm Hi..me again with more thoughts and questions 8-)

This is 100% in no way me being anti-phan. I am a fangirl and shipper of all things. I would absolutely love them to be together and happy forever lol. I guess it's a matter of faith and watching them for awhile, but how do yall stay so positive that they are actually in a relationship? I guess I can't fathom why they would want to hide. On the other side, if they aren't together that means they would be hiding any other potential relationships too. My brain can't compute.

Was there really a rumor going around about Phil having a secret wife? How did such a thing get started? I suppose if you're listening for back ground noises there are some videos where it seems clear they aren't alone. Like in "Giving the people what they want" when they were holding the clothes to go change you can clearly hear a door shut in the back ground. *Not trying to be confrontational and start something but legit curious*

Sigh...maybe this is why I didn't watch them for years. I was protecting myself from all the confusion and obsessing :lol:
I'm not going to get into this too much and this really isn't even about dan and phil specifically but more so with closeted people. If you are a celebrity and are LGBTQ+ you are not treated equally. You get offered fewer parts for roles in acting and the media tends to not care about you. You can look at the people you follow closely and think "oh well look how open everyone I surround myself with, no one cares what your sexuality is" but then you go look at the replies to a post like Tom Daley and Lance announcing they are having a baby and you realize shitty people still exist.

Even if you're not famous, staying closeted is sometimes the best/safer decision for you personally. I have been with my girlfriend for two years and no one in my family know that we are couple. I'm a nobody when compared to dan and phil who have so many people watching their every move. It's not hiding, it's deciding what you want to share and what you want to keep just between two people because not everyone in the world is kind.

So I guess to answer your other part; I think they are together because I get it.
papierklemmen
flower crown

fancybum wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:10 pm I’m not sure how these things can possibly make us see them as people and not personas but sure, I’m down.
maybe that's exactly what they do in their spare time
fancybum
senpai

sonicgreen wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:36 pm

1. what
2. the fuck

Would just like to mention I think the “Dan’s fishnets” was a joke. I’m pretty sure they were picking out some kind of set piece for projectors?? I know nothing on set design, but it was the same company as the flooring they were also picking. Unless there were stockings with the props?
Oh lol, full disclosure: I only watched the vid once so far under less than ideal conditions. I should probably watch it again properly (and several times) before trying to speculate on anything :lol:
papierklemmen wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:42 pm maybe that's exactly what they do in their spare time

That is so true and I didn’t mean to hobby-shame. Wow they’re really going to let us in to their true inner worlds which isn’t terrifying at all.
Dan did say it was a tour about kinks and it appears he wasn’t lying. Bondage for everyone!
malday
emo goose

1. what
2. the fuck

My guess is those things will fall into the "giving people what they want" part. The separation from their personas, if there will be any, will come after.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

1. what
2. the fuck

My understanding was that he was being sarcastic about the fishnets, given the bit with Dan saying, "Yep, nothing to do with the projector screen..."

Re: Police Bondage and all the other weird prop shit... I'm taking it as the show addressing one of Dan's themes: "The consequences of giving the people what they want and whether it's a good idea or not." As in, they'll give us police bondage and we're going to hate it. (Which tbh just reminds me of the fanfic bit of TATINOF and that makes me want to melt into my seat from cringe.)
fancybum
senpai

rizzo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm

1. what
2. the fuck

My understanding was that he was being sarcastic about the fishnets, given the bit with Dan saying, "Yep, nothing to do with the projector screen..."

Re: Police Bondage and all the other weird prop shit... I'm taking it as the show addressing one of Dan's themes: "The consequences of giving the people what they want and whether it's a good idea or not." As in, they'll give us police bondage and we're going to hate it. (Which tbh just reminds me of the fanfic bit of TATINOF and that makes me want to melt into my seat from cringe.)
Can I just say about the fanfic part in tatinof that it was about on par with the cringe of a lot of the show (no offence to the show as an overall experience)? I’m interested in why that one part seems especially cringey to so many people. Is it because they/we don’t want a mirror turned on us as observers? We want D&P to pretend to be unaware about certain fandom activities or interests because it can be uncomfortable? Because I think it must be equally uncomfortable for them to have to turn a blind eye toward certain things (to varying degrees, granted) to maintain.. what? Distance? Feigned ignorance? And for what? Because I don’t think there’s any particular judgement inherent in acknowledgement. The fanfic section wasn’t about judging or mocking partakers of fanfiction, it was a comedic representation of them, as actual people with agency, being put in situations a lot of people like to imagine them in (taken to a ridiculous extreme, of course, for a comedy show about the internet exploding) and how they might feel about it in reality (and as a result of that, how it would differ from the fantasy). And I think the thought process behind that (viewer fantasy vs. D&P reality) is behind a lot of the weirdness of some ‘Dan being Dan’ moments (like the aggressive feeding of Phil while staring down the camera and the Phil/jacket story, and probably too many others to name). I think the concept of this tour (and the steady humanizing of themselves they’ve both been intentionally doing since the end of the last tour to lead up to this) is really cool. Those Dan moments, the fanfic section to a lesser extent, and (in theory so far) this whole tour is just them asserting their own humanity outside of their roles as performers. It’s just?? I like??

(but like. Yes, there’s still fear. Why are there handcuffs.)
dancy
procrastinator

If D&P had a single apartment with three floors (bc you can't convince me all of those rooms are on just two floors and we know how most rooms connect to each other), why have they never shown the stairs that go from the first to the second floor? We've seen the staircase that leads to the upstairs lounge multiple times (during PINOF 9, A Hungry Sleepless Night with Phil, 5 Things I regret Buying etc.) but what about the other one? They wouldn't have to show it of course and I know there's a couple of rooms they've never shown either but I still think it's a bit weird. Especially considering they had Phil do the crabwalk on the staircase to the lounge during PINOF 9, even though the rest of the video was filmed in Phil's room + gaming room which would be on the first floor.

Also, is it common to have a door that leads to the hallway of the apartment building and the neighbours on the second floor, rather than (just) the first one (when that one isn't on basement level)? A serious question because I actually don't know... Idk, two apartments make the most sense to me for now :shrug:
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Foofie wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 pm I guess I can't fathom why they would want to hide.
Alternatively, they aren't hiding, they never have, they've been living their lives. Just like everyone else.