Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

last call to suggest a new thread name!
lilabet wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 pm Question: where does the £ go in Capital Lester?
Word of God (that's me) says that there's only one L in Capita£ester which becomes the pound sterling symbol.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

@obsessivelymoody @Catallena Thanks! I'm totally using it as an answer.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
greenergrass
stress mushroom

George wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 pm I just died after reading the question about should they give the people what the people want or do what Dan and Phil want. :o :hmmm: :dead: :respekt:
Hahah same!

I'm still most excited for the honest discussion part. I hope people ask a good variety of interesting questions, and they aren't just flooded with a bunch of 'are you dating' questions
Elemancy
butt chair

Sorry if this is immediately obvious but are submissions closed indefinitely because I'd really like to fill out a few questions.
:dildo:
JLynne
drama llama

A lot of the questions are obviously baiting for persona-heavy answers, but that one survey question - "What should Dan and Phil give the people?" (What the people want/What Dan and Phil want) - gives me pause. I know IDB has discussed the tonal shift in "Give the people what they want" - from cheeky aside to a sort of dark-ish commentary on internet celebrity. And this sort of reminds me of Bo Burnham's Make Happy special.

I'm sure this comparison has already been brought up, so forgive me if I'm repetitive, but Make Happy was born from the conflict between what the artist needs and what his audience wants, which sounds familiar. Bo found internet fame at a very young, very tumultuous time in his life and has been open about his struggles with fame, authenticity, mental health, etc. His stage show's ending number Can't Handle This seems particularly relevant right now.
The truth is, my biggest problem's you
I want to please you
But I want to stay true to myself
I want to give you the night out that you deserve
But I want to say what I think
And not care what you think about it
Part of me loves you
Part of me hates you
Part of me needs you
Part of me fears you
And I don't think that I can handle this right now
Now, I very much doubt II is going to reach Make Happy levels of self-reflection (and that would be extremely dark for a show that a lot of pre-teens are going to attend...), nor do I think D&P have and/or feel comfortable showing quite the inner turmoil as Bo's stage persona. But I think Dan especially has hinted at II incorporating those elements of self-examination, as well as turning the mirror back to the audience.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Would it be wrong of me to imply that Phil's googled Jimmy Carr's tax set up? Is that taking it too far?

@Elemancy As far as I know they aren't closed? Maybe go from the danandphil tour homepage?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

Just answered all the questions on behalf of my 12 year old for the Brighton evening show...she'll be so chuffed if they use any of her answers...and I will die of cringe :D
Elemancy
butt chair

lilabet wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:57 pm Would it be wrong of me to imply that Phil's googled Jimmy Carr's tax set up? Is that taking it too far?

@Elemancy As far as I know they aren't closed? Maybe go from the danandphil tour homepage?
Thanks trying that now. For some reason I kept pulling up a blank page every time I tried to take a look at the form.
:dildo:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

JLynne wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:56 pm A lot of the questions are obviously baiting for persona-heavy answers, but that one survey question - "What should Dan and Phil give the people?" (What the people want/What Dan and Phil want) - gives me pause. I know IDB has discussed the tonal shift in "Give the people what they want" - from cheeky aside to a sort of dark-ish commentary on internet celebrity. And this sort of reminds me of Bo Burnham's Make Happy special.

I'm sure this comparison has already been brought up, so forgive me if I'm repetitive, but Make Happy was born from the conflict between what the artist needs and what his audience wants, which sounds familiar. Bo found internet fame at a very young, very tumultuous time in his life and has been open about his struggles with fame, authenticity, mental health, etc. His stage show's ending number Can't Handle This seems particularly relevant right now.
The truth is, my biggest problem's you
I want to please you
But I want to stay true to myself
I want to give you the night out that you deserve
But I want to say what I think
And not care what you think about it
Part of me loves you
Part of me hates you
Part of me needs you
Part of me fears you
And I don't think that I can handle this right now
Now, I very much doubt II is going to reach Make Happy levels of self-reflection (and that would be extremely dark for a show that a lot of pre-teens are going to attend...), nor do I think D&P have and/or feel comfortable showing quite the inner turmoil as Bo's stage persona. But I think Dan especially has hinted at II incorporating those elements of self-examination, as well as turning the mirror back to the audience.
I'm about to leave work so I don't have time to add much to this, but you brought up some interesting points. I like how you mentioned 'Can't Handle This' because I've always related that song to Dan - it fits him and his relationship with his audience so perfectly. For anyone who hasn't heard the song you should totally listen to it and see how perfectly the second half fits dan
malday
emo goose

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 pm I screenshot the submission form, so it's under the cut because it's so long.

Thank you!
I hope the majority of people pick what Dan and Phil want in the survey so it turns the "giving the people what they want" thing on its head. That's a twist i would love to see live!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I continually fear that the majority of people will ask/write things they think Dan and Phil are more likely to use in the show and that'll lend itself to repetitive former- and current-persona type stuff and just.... sigh. Maybe I just have less faith in this than I should. I reallyreally hope people get creative and go out-of-the-box with these.
neverneverland
not a first-time poster

rizzo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:04 pm I continually fear that the majority of people will ask/write things they think Dan and Phil are more likely to use in the show and that'll lend itself to repetitive former- and current-persona type stuff and just.... sigh. Maybe I just have less faith in this than I should. I reallyreally hope people get creative and go out-of-the-box with these.
I completely agree! I'm currently filling it out for the Los Angeles show and I see how that could definitely happen. It will be so obvious/boring for Dan to remind people of a rat at every show. But if it's up to them then maybe they want it that way? Like if they have a few predictable answers that they definitely have some funny anecdote prepared or something?
Last edited by neverneverland on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autumnhearth
senpai

That was a bit of a challenge to try not to be too mean, too obvious or too invasive. Especially with...
“What is under their beds”. I wanted to write “Nothing, it floats” and “Nothing, he doesn’t sleep in it” but I ended up writing “Dan” for under Phil’s bed (the one time he was laying under there during a collab). Oh damn I could have just written “centipedes”.
I had to call my husband for help with censorship and suggestions, he came up with some good ones.

See you all on the other side of the joint liveshow!
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

I'm back (back again)

I popped into the liveshow for a second and they were discussing Dan panicking/not panicking when his phone fell and I found it very interesting. First Phil said he did not film the panicking, which reminded me that the day in the lives are in fact tailored content in a vlog style, not just their unfiltered life as it is presented. Even though the freak out may have been funny he instead chose to focus on helping Dan look for a way down and calm himself etc and was present with him instead of just taking his phone out so he didn't miss the moment. Same with the elevator - they were in there 10 mins before any filming happened.

Then Dan talked about how he simply accepted the inevitable of how his phone may or may not be destroyed and calmed down. This reminded me of the time Phil left his bag in the taxi at the airport and chased after it though traffic while dan simply stood with their bags and played flappy bird, probably for the same reason. The bag was gone and either phil would get it back or he woudnt. He truly is a depressed nihilist and I appreciate that. It's not all branding.

Also I agree with the Make Happy comparison and am glad it is getting recognition again. I have brought it up before but there are always new people here.
noodlebum
flower crown

Wow that last screenshot with the dip and wink, good times
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I took notes while the liveshow went on (because I'm procrastinating other more important stuff) that I've included under the cut, but overall it was fun! I miss joint liveshows
-lmao will they ever not use the ~special guest!1~ thing
-rip liveshows, but they were dead anyway
-celebration pizza
-"quite a bit of merch to rotate" fun
-they're really plugging the survey hmm (tbh it was the only thing I was able to easily enter in lol)
-"we're opening ourselves up"
-Dan saying "before we die..." is getting old lmao
-Ah no wonder there was that jump cut now that we know he had no idea the swearing question was coming
-Why must they butcher every song leave Alicia Keys alone lmao
-The dog bit was Phil's favourite part of Dan's video
-Ooo potential instagram story tomorrow when they see the complete stage
-Wow Phil is so salty about a child feeding birds (and I bet their neighbours weren't happy about the influx of pigeons the next day)
-Dan's changing his shirt because the nips are too much
-The gaming channel will continue, apparently they're filming a couple series (can they please do more bomb diffusing?)
-"I'm taking the switch along" Cool, but I figured the gaming channel would continue with at least one video a week anyway
-Oo a jean jacket for merch? Interesting
-Oh apparently liveshows aren't stopping and "they might be changing"
-They're really pushing the "videos will still be happening!" thing, but considering how grumpy people were when there was the tatinof drought, hopefully this is more reassuring
-"Will you ever go on tour again?" "No, probably not" mkay
-They really love The Santa Clarita Diet
-Westworld season 2 is already confusing
-"[Riverdale] is such an effing mess" what a mood Phil
-Aw these two watching Love, Simon will definitely be emosh because of the ferris wheel stuff : (
-Phil had a dream about him and Dan walking through Manchester after the day in the life and the Queen's guard were flanking them, and then the Queen zoomed towards them on a golden chariot, and when she was shaking people's hands she snubbed Phil (what the hell)
-Excited about India
-"There will be a wave to celebrate dads"
-Sims will continue on tour (not my fave but I'm v happy that they're positively portraying a young queer relationship like they are!)
-Manchester nostalgia
-Phil had an urge to ring their old buzzer lol
-Dan yawned
-Podcast or audiobook recommendations so Phil doesn't get car sick--tweet him
-They like Ariana Grande's new song--Dan goes on a music ramble as per usual
-Radio 1 references! (i miss the radio show like mad :/)
-Trailer is coming
-They're apparently filming stuff at the first few shows
-Dan's jeans have an added feature ("butt lights!" -Phil)
-Dan and Phil pop up shop in Brighton and London soon--tour merch, exclusive items
-If the pop up shop goes well (which it probs will tbh) they may do them in other countries
-I think they need to get a hypoallergenic dog like a poodle cross or something
-Phil harmonises with Dan's random singing with the John Cena theme
-Phil never fails to mention that something is thicc
-Apparently they're going to be more active than they've ever been
-At the end of the day "stay hydrated and enjoy your life"
-Phil "dipped"--and the liveshow is over
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

That was such a cute and fun liveshow, they were obviously v excited and happy about the tour :D

I probably gotta submit myself under Facebook's terror now and fix myself an Instagram huh?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

very excited to hear that they're filming some series' for the gaming channel. i'll watch anything they post and i'll generally enjoy it but i do prefer series' to flash games, apps, & google games.

generally really excited for the tour to start and to get content from that as well as instagram stories and hopefully still weekly gaming videos.

on a side note...how many times is too many to watch the witl??? asking for a friend....i totally haven't watched it like 10 times already :? :?
whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:52 pm
I was about to go through the process of filling this out just to see what they were asking for, until it got to asking me my email. My real email has my full name in it. My fake email (that I used to sign up here - and that was made specifically to sign up here), is basically just the name of this forum, so um abort. I may need to make up another new email for their site. Or just wait until someone else posts the details, which I'm sure someone will soon.
if it makes you feel any better, i highly doubt anyone will be looking at the emails. the email is only used to verify that you're a person and not a bot, you get an automated email with a link to where you can fill out the form. so....yea. they won't be using your email for anything else and like i said i doubt any actual person is going to be reading through the email addresses for any reason.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

That was a good live show!! Very cute and I love the joint liveshows.
:transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

My favorite part of the liveshow is the part where Dan emphasized "Nothing's changing." after tour. Please tattoo that on the forehead of everyone who thinks that this show is some grand finale of their joint/youtube/etc career.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Great liveshow, and I agree, @JLynne I kept thinking of a lighter version of Make Happy. Very introspective. Especially with the survey question, “Do you feel like you really know Dan and Phil?” and Dan’s theme analysis from the WITL video.
autumnhearth
senpai

The ls was very nice. They were happy and excited and that was infectious. Thanks for the notes obsessivelymoody. I’m also excited for gaming series! Speaking of which and I hate to bring it up because it was probably just a poor choice of words or me misunderstanding, but when they talked about Dab and Evan, and Phil was going all Capita£ester about them bringing home so much money, he said he “wasn’t bothered” by the kiss. He just meant he was more excited by the money right? Why am I even asking this?
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

autumnhearth wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 pm The ls was very nice. They were happy and excited and that was infectious. Thanks for the notes obsessivelymoody. I’m also excited for gaming series! Speaking of which and I hate to bring it up because it was probably just a poor choice of words or me misunderstanding, but when they talked about Dab and Evan, and Phil was going all Capita£ester about them bringing home so much money, he said he “wasn’t bothered” by the kiss. He just meant he was more excited by the money right? Why am I even asking this?
maybe i misheard but i didn't hear him say not bothered, just thought he said he wasn't talking about the kiss when he was talking about being excited about the money they got and a potential like home renovation video in the future. very Capita£ester indeed.

on a separate note, any time dan says he doesn't have freckles i really wonder if he's ever looked in a damn mirror. genuinely blows my mind.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Just about managed to think of things for the website. Trying so hard not to go with the same old in-jokes. Only one I couldn't answer was the religion. I'd have put something sugar-related for Phil, but couldn't think of what to call it.

The liveshow was sweet. Tmi about Phil's Thor costume. Almost tmi that he was straddling the piano stool, but that wasn't such a bad image ;) It was weird how it made him taller than Dan. So funny how he was so excited for the huge amount of cash the Sims boys are bringing home.

I think Dan might have meant freckles as opposed to moles on his face, we say moles for the kind of things he has like his sad dimple, whereas Phil has freckly arms cos he's pale and a bit ginger (most typical colouring to have them, anyway).