Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 pm Remember live shows? Those were nice.
who's that? do we know her? where's she from?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Remember getting two a week, every week? Those really were the days.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I also thought it was Thursday and then remembered. It was over a week before this last video, but they’ve got behind the scenes and a trailer to get up before 28th so fingers crossed at least for tomorrow. Yeah, liveshows were lovely.
George
sad dimple

topdanhowellmemes wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:55 pmI'm really looking forward to whatever 'vloggy' stuff Phil is going to upload (DITL stuff they cut couldn't fit into Dan's video I hope), though I do wish there was time for him to post a solo video before that. 6 of the last 8 video on his channel have featured Dan, and while I personally love watching videos of them together, I do worry that some that subscribe to him might start getting annoyed by it.
Who is she? I don't know her.

Which is my way of saying, I don't think Phil worries about this. They aren't really gravitating towards individual content atm. Phan is a package deal.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
ratlad
angel bean

George wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:00 pm
topdanhowellmemes wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:55 pmI'm really looking forward to whatever 'vloggy' stuff Phil is going to upload (DITL stuff they cut couldn't fit into Dan's video I hope), though I do wish there was time for him to post a solo video before that. 6 of the last 8 video on his channel have featured Dan, and while I personally love watching videos of them together, I do worry that some that subscribe to him might start getting annoyed by it.

Which is my way of saying, I don't think Phil worries about this. They aren't really gravitating towards individual content atm. Phan is a package deal.
i think phil just really enjoys making videos with dan. i've seen some people say that he uses him for views ??? but phil just enjoys doing everything with dan, really. solo phil content is also nice though!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

ratlad wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm
George wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:00 pm

i think phil just really enjoys making videos with dan. i've seen some people say that he uses him for views ??? but phil just enjoys doing everything with dan, really. solo phil content is also nice though!
TBF though.... I don't think it's by any means malicious, but Phil definitely uses Dan for views. It benefits them both (if you subscribe to the belief that they essentially share all 3 channels at this point). Look at the videos that are most popular on his channel... The first 23 include Dan before we see solo Phil content. The reality is that more people are willing to watch a video that features them both and our King of the Koin, Capita£ester, isn't about to pass up on that opportunity. I mean, his last 2 solo vids haven't even hit a mil yet.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the stats don't reflect subscribers being annoyed by lack of solo content and that's probably the best number to go by.

All that aside, I'm always welcoming of a solo vid and would also really appreciate seeing him on his own for once *coughliveshowcough*, but like.... he knows what he's doing. He gets to show off his boyfriend and make bank. ;)
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

Personally I'm all for joint content so Phil can post as much of it as he likes, it's interesting to see that's what most others appear to want as well judging by the views. Thanks for the insight. :)

I do wonder if they do share the revenue of all three channels at this point. It would help to explain how Dan can get away with posting so few videos compared to Phil (generally). Obviously, his subscriber count is higher so he earns more from the videos he does post, and the gaming channel brings in a steady stream of cash. However, if the earnings were pooled or he was being subsidized by Phil's income it'd help explain how he doesn't feel the need to post content to his channel regularly anymore.

On an unrelated note, I need Phil to post today! I'm craving this 'vloggy goodness' and I don't want to wait for it. Patience is not a virtue I possess right now.
ratlad
angel bean

topdanhowellmemes wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 pm Personally I'm all for joint content so Phil can post as much of it as he likes, it's interesting to see that's what most others appear to want as well judging by the views. Thanks for the insight. :)

I do wonder if they do share the revenue of all three channels at this point. It would help to explain how Dan can get away with posting so few videos compared to Phil (generally). Obviously, his subscriber count is higher so he earns more from the videos he does post, and the gaming channel brings in a steady stream of cash. However, if the earnings were pooled or he was being subsidized by Phil's income it'd help explain how he doesn't feel the need to post content to his channel regularly anymore.

On an unrelated note, I need Phil to post today! I'm craving this 'vloggy goodness' and I don't want to wait for it. Patience is not a virtue I possess right now.
im pretty sure they do share the money, and i think (not sure if it's confirmed) they have a joint bank account. but if they don't, that's cool too. my parents have been married for 21 years and have separate banks.
George
sad dimple

It doesn't really matter who makes the most money as long as you get to live in that forever home too.

We are probably getting more individual content after tour. Separate merch was an interesting choice (apart from the double ££ factor), and I hope to see if it's a start of something new - them branching out to different fields in the future. They probably don't want to package deal when they are 50 - outside of their two kids, a corgi and a penthouse waterview apartment.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

topdanhowellmemes wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 pm I do wonder if they do share the revenue of all three channels at this point. It would help to explain how Dan can get away with posting so few videos compared to Phil (generally). Obviously, his subscriber count is higher so he earns more from the videos he does post, and the gaming channel brings in a steady stream of cash. However, if the earnings were pooled or he was being subsidized by Phil's income it'd help explain how he doesn't feel the need to post content to his channel regularly anymore.
I'm not disagreeing that they might share income from the 3 channels, or have a joint bank account. But... they're not exactly earning most of their income from their regular solo youtube videos anyway. A lot of their money is coming from the sponsored videos, tours, books, merch, etc etc. So basically - Dan isn't going to be the least bit struggling for money regardless, even though he posts less dinof videos, so he can easily get away with posting less vids even if they're channels / bank accounts aren't joint.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

So what do people think Phil's video is gonna be - DITL tour video? Just behind the scenes? Basically only tour promo but they find a reason to touch so that we feel satisfied?
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:12 am So what do people think Phil's video is gonna be - DITL tour video? Just behind the scenes? Basically only tour promo but they find a reason to touch so that we feel satisfied?
I could see it being either a) a DITL of tour prep, so just them filming behind the scenes of a single day of them preparing for tour (them heading out to rehearsals etc) or b) something along the lines of The Making of Tabinof, where they've vlogged little moments during the process of planning and preparing for the tour. I think I'd maybe prefer the latter, but tbh I'd be happy with either!!
ratlad
angel bean

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:12 am So what do people think Phil's video is gonna be - DITL tour video? Just behind the scenes? Basically only tour promo but they find a reason to touch so that we feel satisfied?
i'm hoping a behind the scenes of tour prep or extras from dans new vid, or maybe both combined. a compilation of little videos/bloopers ??
dontpanic
#relatable

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:45 pm
topdanhowellmemes wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 pm I do wonder if they do share the revenue of all three channels at this point. It would help to explain how Dan can get away with posting so few videos compared to Phil (generally). Obviously, his subscriber count is higher so he earns more from the videos he does post, and the gaming channel brings in a steady stream of cash. However, if the earnings were pooled or he was being subsidized by Phil's income it'd help explain how he doesn't feel the need to post content to his channel regularly anymore.
I'm not disagreeing that they might share income from the 3 channels, or have a joint bank account. But... they're not exactly earning most of their income from their regular solo youtube videos anyway. A lot of their money is coming from the sponsored videos, tours, books, merch, etc etc. So basically - Dan isn't going to be the least bit struggling for money regardless, even though he posts less dinof videos, so he can easily get away with posting less vids even if they're channels / bank accounts aren't joint.
I love this topic and need to procrastinate working on my dissertation, so I checked out their view counts and I was surprised to see that in the past 12 months Phil has roughly 36 million views whereas Dan has roughly 33 (I also never realized just how many videos of Phil's Dan featured in). So yup Philly boi is bringing in more bank if we only look at main channel adsense, but as so many youtube stars like to point out, there isn't that much money in ads anymore.

However, we gotta take into account their side channels when talking only about youtube revenue. Dan's side channel has been hella active unlike his main channel, and he brings in an impressive amount of views. danisnotinteresting raked in a rough estimate of 10k views in the past year. lessamazingphil brought in about ~5k. Dan seems to be making up for the scarcity of main channel videos with liveshows.

But yeah, their individual videos aren't their only source of income (heck, not even their MAIN source of income), that's for sure.

last year around this time I made a spreadsheet of their video stats and stuff and I think I might do this again because #procrastination
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I’m sure Phil will upload this “vlog” that’s dan hyped tonight seeing as it’s his usual liveshow day. Think you better realise guys liveshows are in the same place as the promise they’d return to the BBC, long gone.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
dancy
procrastinator

dontpanic wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 am However, we gotta take into account their side channels when talking only about youtube revenue. Dan's side channel has been hella active unlike his main channel, and he brings in an impressive amount of views. danisnotinteresting raked in a rough estimate of 10k views in the past year. lessamazingphil brought in about ~5k. Dan seems to be making up for the scarcity of main channel videos with liveshows.
I assume you mean 10k views and 5k views on Youtube whenever they're live? Do the people watching them live on Youtube even earn D&P any revenue at all? I mean, you'll get a bunch of ads when you rewatch their live shows but when they're live, don't you just get one at the start or none at all? On Younow, people can at least tip them or send premium messages.

In terms of their YT channels, the gaming channel is definitely the most lucrative one considering it's where they upload the most often and get somewhat consistent views.

I agree with @captainspacecoat, I think Phil's video will show us their tour prep (so nothing to do with GTPWTW imo) and that it will be a DITL or something like the Making of Tabinof/the dog calendar video. Hoping for the latter option as well, so we'll get to see the process over the course of multiple days or weeks or whatever, depending on when they started filming. Leave the DITL for when they're actually on tour in some nice country.
kavat
pastel persona

Money talk is hella interesting. I've seen a couple of youtubers (Hannah Witton comes first to mind) mention that YT is bringing out their own sponsor service á la Patreon. So you can support a channel by giving an amount every month and get videos early, a sponsor only community tab, stickers etc. I think it's similar service to being a sponsor for gaming streams today, but for regular uploads. I'm guessing some creators might use this instead of Patreon. Deppy has never used Patreon, but they have used the stream sponsor service so I'm not sure if it's something they would do.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Since we are literally posting tumbleweed GIFs, I have a question until we get that sweet vlogussy.

What have you learned from or through D&P?

Your answer can be as deep or as mundane as you like! :D
I'll start: I learned that I don't have to sneeze if I tickle the roof of my mouth with my tounge (insert Phil gif). I also learned about the concept of mental health and that my own was apparently not so good.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 am What have you learned from or through D&P?
I've learned that involuntarily spurting saliva out of your mouth while yawning is a thing that also happens to some other people and that there's even a word for it in English (gleeking). I've also learned that it's not normal to have your throat tingle when you eat chocolate and that might mean that I have a mild chocolate allergy.

(Although, I've also read that actually chocolate allergy is usually an allergy to parts of dead cockroaches in cocoa beans, not to the cocoa itself.)
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 am Your answer can be as deep or as mundane as you like! :D
I'll start: I learned that I don't have to sneeze if I tickle the roof of my mouth with my tounge (insert Phil gif). I also learned about the concept of mental health and that my own was apparently not so good.
in keeping with the newest video ... i learnt what a glabella is. lol

on a more serious note, this may sound cheesy or dumb, but ... i learnt to accept and treat lgbt people as just regular people, and that ss relationships aren't that strange and can be just as amazing and beautiful as any other romantic relationship. i grew up going to a conservative church and although my parents themselves never once said anything bad about lgbt or made me feel like they would ever stop loving me i just kinda grew up a bit confused and wary about it all, yanno? i didn't know much about it all and had only heard that ss relationships are unnatural and not real love. but then i began watching deppy and how they were with each other and even before i watched voldy and became completely convinced that they were a couple i just had a feeling about them. they really made me reassess my thoughts even though they're not 'out' or whatever. i know this probably sounds cheesy af but i am sure i would not be so supportive/accepting of lgbt today if i never got into youtube and dan and phil.

i also learnt that a good way to get with your soulmate is to stalk them until they love you... not that i've tried it (yet)...

<3
dontpanic
#relatable

So... I went through their individual channels and looked at their videos and stuff from this past year (31 March 17 through 31 March 18). After wasting way too much time typing in a bunch of numbers I took note of a few things concerning videos posted 31-Mar-17 through 31-Mar-18. Rounded to the nearest 100k using data gathered ~1am 19-Apr-18, I found that:

AmazingPhil posted 23 videos with an aggregate view count of 43.542 million. Out of the 23 videos, 13 were over 10 minutes long, 11 featured Dan in the thumbnail, 2 were collabs with someone other than Dan, and 3 were sponsored ads.

Daniel Howell (the channel) posted 14 videos with an aggregate view count of 34.227 million. Out of the 14 videos, 9 were over 10 minutes long, 3 featured Phil in the thumbnail, 1 was a collab with someone other than Phil, and there were no sponsored ads.

lessamazingphil posted 20 videos with an aggregate view count of 5.186 million. Out of the 20 videos, 19 were over 10 minutes long, and 3 featured Dan in the thumbnail. The liveshows lasted an average of 41 minutes with a median of 42 minutes.

danisnotinteresting posted 26 videos with an aggregate view count of 10.948 million. Out of the 26 videos, 26 were over 10 minutes long, 6 lasted 59+ minutes, and 4 featured Phil in the thumbnail. The liveshows lasted an average of 48 minutes and a median of 49 minutes.

I took screenshots of the stuff I gathered, it includes the dates/titles/views/length/etc. for each individual video if anyone wants to see.

screenshots of my excel docs

I noticed that Phil's 4 most popular videos this year include Dan in the thumbnail and his video with Shawna is his second least popular video with 787k views (I'm not surprised tbh). Also, Phil has a way more consistent upload schedule than I realized... he uploaded once a month in August, December, and February, twice a month in June, July, September, October, November, January, and March, and three times a month in April and May.

I found the stats re: their side channels pretty cool if unsurprising. Tbh, I know we're always like "Dan doesn't engage with his audience via YouTube" or whatever, but honestly if we consider both side channel videos and main channel, Dan has uploaded 40 videos this year while Phil has uploaded 43. And, if we check out total length of each video, Phil has uploaded 1,020 minutes of content, which is actually less than Dan who has uploaded 1,395 minutes of content. idk what this means I just found it interesting.

Anywho, it's now 2am here and I have to teach at 9am so I should probably be responsible and go to bed lol

dancy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 am I assume you mean 10k views and 5k views on Youtube whenever they're live? Do the people watching them live on Youtube even earn D&P any revenue at all? I mean, you'll get a bunch of ads when you rewatch their live shows but when they're live, don't you just get one at the start or none at all? On Younow, people can at least tip them or send premium messages.
That's a great point which I don't have an answer to because I never get to watch them live :lol: I thought you could tip them or whatever on youtube in order to send a premium message or whatever but don't quote me on that!
serenlas
tol bean

And, if we check out total length of each video, Phil has uploaded 1,020 minutes of content, which is actually less than Dan who has uploaded 1,395 minutes of content. idk what this means I just found it interesting.
That doesn't completely surprise me to be honest... I've only been watching D&P for about 3 months but in terms of new content it doesn't feel like I've seen more from Phil than from Dan. I think they should both upload more frequently ;)

Also, I'm :stan: to your maths and research skills!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

kavat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 am Money talk is hella interesting. I've seen a couple of youtubers (Hannah Witton comes first to mind) mention that YT is bringing out their own sponsor service á la Patreon. So you can support a channel by giving an amount every month and get videos early, a sponsor only community tab, stickers etc. I think it's similar service to being a sponsor for gaming streams today, but for regular uploads. I'm guessing some creators might use this instead of Patreon. Deppy has never used Patreon, but they have used the stream sponsor service so I'm not sure if it's something they would do.
Interesting. I'm not sure of all the motives of youtube here. On the surface it looks like nice extra way you can support youtubers. But, there's already services like Patreon, so I doubt all their intentions are limited to that. If you look at it from a more practical and pragmatic pov, this is a way to further tie people to their business. If it's their sponsor service, they are free to enforce their own rules. So a person who for one reason or another would want to get away from the youtube platform is even less free to do so.
Not a good evolution.

Looks like the Dan and Phil model works much better for them. Build up such a loyal fanbase that the youtube channel becomes a sideshow and bring them over to your much more lucrative endeavors.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
pearshaped34
morning quiff

dontpanic wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:17 am Daniel Howell (the channel) posted 14 videos with an aggregate view count of 34.227 million. Out of the 14 videos, 9 were over 10 minutes long, 3 featured Phil in the thumbnail, 1 was a collab with someone other than Phil, and there were no sponsored ads.
Dan did have a 15th video that he was made to delete by the sponsor tinder (because it was basically him trolling people on the app which is something I can't believe the ever signed off for as an advertisement for them in the first place).

I don't know how long it was or how many views it got though but I just thought I'd mention as it deserves noting in the stats because he still filmed and uploaded it.
Stakhanov wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am
kavat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 am Money talk is hella interesting. I've seen a couple of youtubers (Hannah Witton comes first to mind) mention that YT is bringing out their own sponsor service á la Patreon. So you can support a channel by giving an amount every month and get videos early, a sponsor only community tab, stickers etc. I think it's similar service to being a sponsor for gaming streams today, but for regular uploads. I'm guessing some creators might use this instead of Patreon. Deppy has never used Patreon, but they have used the stream sponsor service so I'm not sure if it's something they would do.
Interesting. I'm not sure of all the motives of youtube here. On the surface it looks like nice extra way you can support youtubers. But, there's already services like Patreon, so I doubt all their intentions are limited to that. If you look at it from a more practical and pragmatic pov, this is a way to further tie people to their business. If it's their sponsor service, they are free to enforce their own rules. So a person who for one reason or another would want to get away from the youtube platform is even less free to do so.
Not a good evolution.
While I'm sure youtubers being further tied to them is probably always a plus in their eyes I imagine their main motivation, like their main motivation for everything else, will be money.

Youtube will no doubt be taking a cut on the sponsor money like patreon does. They probably looked at patreon noticed loads of youtubers were making quite a bit of money their and that their "rewards" for fans were usually based around their youtube videoes and thought they could be getting a cut of that money instead if they start their own version of the service.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 am What have you learned from or through D&P?

Your answer can be as deep or as mundane as you like! :D
I have learnt so much through being a fan of D&P, not from them but from their fans definitely. I have connected with a wide range of lovely people, all from different backgrounds. I have been educated important issues such as race, privilege, lgbtq to name a few and I feel like I am a much better person because of this. I wouldn’t have classed myself as a bad person before however there are issues I wasn’t aware or didn’t think about where I do now. I do feel grateful for that because it means I can educate others now too.

I also learnt a lot about stan culture and fandoms. I had never been in such an intense fandom before. I had no idea what a ship, cannon or fanfiction was before I got into Deps.

On a less serious note I also realised i spend way too much of my life online!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart: