Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
huphilpuffs
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 am What have you learned from or through D&P?

Your answer can be as deep or as mundane as you like! :D
From dnp specifically? I've learned a lot about games, I guess. Some about linguistics from phil's liveshows. What an existential crisis is (and that even though my thoughts are quite existential, I don't really seem to ever have one). Oh and I know way more about England now than I did before.

From being a fan of them? I've learned to accept myself more completely and come to terms with my sexuality. I learned to embrace the word lesbian despite some of its social stigma in my life, thanks to people I met on tumblr. I exposed myself to a lot more social issues and became way more social justice-y than I was before (in a good way, imo). I learned a lot more about gender and politics and the history of online communities.

This is more dnp adjacent than dnp related, but I did learn new ways to cope with and succeed with my disability.

Oh, and my writing and gifmaking skills improved, and I learned to make graphic edits in photoshop and how to use a drawing tablet with my computer. :D
who met each other on the internet and created this entire world
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

oof, what i've learned? i found their vids when i was like 11/12 years old, i was a giant outcast when i first began middle school and dnp were these two dudes who make me feel less alone (ugh so gross and cliche i know) and i had nobody to talk about them with so i just kept it a little secret.
i connected a lot with phil's weirdness, he was so strange and creative.

being 12, i started questioning my existence and i was going through one of the most anxious years of my life and dan's videos helped me with that. i kinda developed his sense of humor in some way (self deprecation, awkward, kinda embarrassing 'rAnDoM xD' phase) when he made "reasons why dan's a fail" vids, i felt better about fucking up sometimes.

after a little bit of research in 2012, i found out that dnp said they were bisexual. being young, i didn't think much of it other than like.. relating? and kind of already knew? around this time i was also discovering my bisexuality, so i felt less alone knowing dan and phil also weren't straight
(i wasnt aware at that point that dnp were going through a rough patch with their audience speculating their sexualities, nor did i know that those formspring answers were somewhat "sacred" or whatever)

i related to them in a lot of ways and they made me feel less alone. they were pretty much the only source of my happiness all through middle school, escapism from bullies and all the teachers who hated me (for no god damn reason other than not being as smart as the other kids)
a part of me feels a bit pathetic for admitting all of that because 1. emotions are embarrassing for me and i always want to keep them on the down low irl, and 2. i shouldn't let strangers on the internet influence me this much, or teach me things that i should have learned from family and friends. idk if that's even embarrassing, actually.
god, i sound like such a pretentious asshole
i'm extremely thankful for them even if they influenced me into my cringey 'rawr xD' and emo phase.
this was sappy im sorry
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

ratlad wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 pm 2. i shouldn't let strangers on the internet influence me this much, or teach me things that i should have learned from family and friends. idk if that's even embarrassing, actually.
Don't be embarrassed! Parasocial relationships is something we all experience, some just don't admit it. Maybe you'll feel less weird about it if you read up on the phenomenon? It's actually really interesting and has been scientifically recorded since the 50s.

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's answers! I know my own reply was short but I can definitely relate to a lot that you guys write.
kavat
pastel persona

pearshaped34 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 am
Stakhanov wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am
kavat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 am Money talk is hella interesting. I've seen a couple of youtubers (Hannah Witton comes first to mind) mention that YT is bringing out their own sponsor service á la Patreon. So you can support a channel by giving an amount every month and get videos early, a sponsor only community tab, stickers etc. I think it's similar service to being a sponsor for gaming streams today, but for regular uploads. I'm guessing some creators might use this instead of Patreon. Deppy has never used Patreon, but they have used the stream sponsor service so I'm not sure if it's something they would do.
Interesting. I'm not sure of all the motives of youtube here. On the surface it looks like nice extra way you can support youtubers. But, there's already services like Patreon, so I doubt all their intentions are limited to that. If you look at it from a more practical and pragmatic pov, this is a way to further tie people to their business. If it's their sponsor service, they are free to enforce their own rules. So a person who for one reason or another would want to get away from the youtube platform is even less free to do so.
Not a good evolution.
While I'm sure youtubers being further tied to them is probably always a plus in their eyes I imagine their main motivation, like their main motivation for everything else, will be money.

Youtube will no doubt be taking a cut on the sponsor money like patreon does. They probably looked at patreon noticed loads of youtubers were making quite a bit of money their and that their "rewards" for fans were usually based around their youtube videoes and thought they could be getting a cut of that money instead if they start their own version of the service.
Youtube definitely want to make more money for themselves. They probably look at Patreon and think "all those creators are already connected to us, we should get a slice of this". That's how business work. They probably also see how much viewers are willing to spend on streamers and want that to overflow onto regular video creators.

It's so lovely to see what people have learned from deppy and the community! I've learned so much about fandom and online communities, I've always been a casual fan on the side lines before. I wish I had found a community like this when I was a teenager, that would have helped me a lot. I think what I've learned most from them is mostly small things like what a glabella is, and a lot about British culture. Odd things like that there's a sculpture on the fourth plinth of Trafalgar square that they change every couple of years (my friend was very impressed by that fact when we went there lol). But the thing that's made the most important difference in my everyday life is that I've grown a lot more confident in using my English, and I think I've become better at expressing myself and my opinions. That's mostly thanks to IDB!
malday
emo goose

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 am What have you learned from or through D&P?

Related to the business discussion from the last page, the most important lesson i learned from D&P

But on a serious note, It's not something i learned from them but more of i admire their story, that they are self-made people, who were somewhat underdogs, that were able to push through and thrive in life despite anxiety and depression, which can leave you chained to your condition in life. That they didn't give up on their passion, took risks and managed to support each other and to live their life freely. All of that while still remaining nice people.

Although, i don't know if thinking of their story make me more happy or more depressed.
Last edited by malday on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I learned how to get rid of hiccups!! Phil's technique that he shows Dan in that old Donkey Kong video from 2014 100% works every time (at least for me), I've got my entire family, my best friend and my coworkers onto it. And every time they're like "..... where did you learn this" and I never know what to say :')

(on a deeper level, i discovered dnp when i was 16 and now i'm 22 and i've gone on a journey of growth and self-acceptance alongside them, and i definitely became more comfortable with my sexuality over the past year or so in part because of the way dan (and phil, to a lesser extent) normalised his own same-gender attraction :love1: )
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

missemma wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:03 am
rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 pm Remember live shows? Those were nice.

I’m sure Phil will upload this “vlog” that’s dan hyped tonight seeing as it’s his usual liveshow day. Think you better realise guys liveshows are in the same place as the promise they’d return to the BBC, long gone.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 am Since we are literally posting tumbleweed GIFs, I have a question until we get that sweet vlogussy.

What have you learned from or through D&P?

I'll start: I learned that I don't have to sneeze if I tickle the roof of my mouth with my tounge (insert Phil gif). I also learned about the concept of mental health and that my own was apparently not so good.
Tough question to really answer :D My affection for them is more irrational and emotional than intellectual. I just plain like them. The aim of their content is to entertain and not really to teach, and that's how I approach them.
I'd say it's only in a roundabout way I've learned about myself and others through watching them or engaging with the community.

I learned i could consider myself a 'fan' of someone after all. In general i'm not interested at all in celebrities or the popular culture around them. I have never identified much with a subculture and kept a distance from hypes. Still when it came to Dan and Phil, I sought out others to talk about them, or find out more about them. I like their content, but over the years i've become much more interested in who they are as people to the degree that the content has almost become immaterial. Or that's definitely how it feels in the current drought :mrgreen:

Being attached to total strangers with whom you basically always are only going to have a one-way relationship with, is a pretty puzzling thing for me. Why is it that I care more for these people than some people i know 'in real life' How is it possible that you can feel someone is 'sorta' your friend even though they aren't even aware of your existence? To which degree can you see you love Dan or Phil knowing that they are pretty private and so much of who you think they are is more or less projection and speculation? Do you like the person, or do you just like the ideal of a certain person, an 'icon' that's based on some real facts about who that person is but is at least just as much based on your thoughts of who someone is? Is this different really with other people you know (to varying degrees)?

When it comes to the broader 'fandom', my experiences have been mixed. I think any sort of fandom has a lot of interesting psychological and sociological aspect to it. On the one hand, i've met some people I would never have met otherwise if it wasn't for our shared interest in D&P. On the other hand, i've met people I wish I didn't :lol: Sometimes, the umbrella that being a mutual 'fan' of someone provides can be tricky. You think you understand a person to a degree or that they understand you. Sometimes that just doesn't turn out to be the case. While i broadly agree with most of the values I think Dan and Phil hold dear themselves, there's some narratives I see in parts of the fandom that I don't agree with at all. It's properly hard at times to understand where even your family or best friends come from, so it stands to reason that things get very murky when you're talking about political or ethical issues that sometimes get raised in relationship to things D&P (didn't) say. In some ways, the fandom is diverse and in others it's not. Still even in the little corner of the internet that you could call the Dan and Phil bubble, endless arguments can arise from how we differently interpret words in liveshow or a video. Not to mention broader narratives about their lives or issues like racism, feminism, or lgbt rights.

While i'm happy and I think it says something we're talking about "progressive" issues at large, i'm also worried and angered by the pollution I see of these issues by what i would call the 'regressive' left - with very reactionary and illiberal ideas behind them. This was new to me. When it comes to the more political topics of debate (one of my major interests ), the topics of debate are by and large very much discussed through the lenses of american, Anglo-saxon lenses. Which somewhat makes sense, since us viewers and uk viewers make up for a good majority of their followers. But it's a rather narrow view, that has made me realize just how much water will still have to run to the oceon before the idea of a "world society" as articulated by the English school in international politics can begin to flourish.

Sadly, us politics has moved so much to the right that i was already made aware of movements like the "tea party", "alt right", "men's right activists" and some of their backward ideology. What came as a surprise to me though is that i see similar backwards ideas articulated on the left, or at least echo's of them would be adopted by a good chunk of people in the fandom. So i've seen the liberal viewpoint perverted by some people on issues like racism, feminism and privilege. What i've learned from that (once again) is that we can use same words and think we fight for the the same ideas yet mean complete different things when you get to concrete topics of discussion.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
knq
lava lamp

I like this question because one of the things that got me interested in dnp was thinking I'd learned the French word for 'the call of the void' and being excited that was a thing that other people experienced.

It turned out I actually hadn't learned that. I just got so excited hearing the description from the second segment of Dan's 'Psycho Thoughts' video that I completely failed to notice there was a third segment, so by the time he got to 'It's a thing! here's the word for it!" I thought he was talking about, not the actual call of the void, but the feeling which I will describe as the acute awareness that you are perfectly capable of doing things you don't want to do and that frighten you.

See, it needs a catchier name. I watched Dan's video, thought it had a catchy name, got all excited--even told my retired therapist about it, who is now subscribed to Dan :lol: --and finally re-watched his video and learned the call of the void is a different, being pulled towards the edge of a building feeling.

...So I guess I didn't actually learn anything there. I did hear someone describe an acute feeling/experience I had a lot as a teenager and had never had anyone relate to before, though.
autumnhearth
senpai

ratlad that’s really moving. Hmm, starting watching D&P only a little over a year ago, already in my 30s, I’m afraid I haven’t learned anything nearly as important as some of you. I mean I learned what a glabella is and the slang term wenis (why do the boys never talk about their waginas?). I learned a bit about British baking (even more through checking out Bake Off) and got a few good show and music recs. Oh and furry culture! But I can’t really think of anything profound or sentimental. There’s got to be something. But I’m sure my son is learning quite a bit and I think deppy are decent role models (with some screening of Dan’s content) for an already weird kid. Though I blame them for this early emo phase, his fashion is on point.
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

This is perfect timing, cause I have actually just recently learned a lesson (a suckerpunch might be a better description), not from Dip and Dot specifically but from being a fan. So ever since they announced the tour I’ve wanted to go. Out of some weird sense of pride or embarrasment, I didn’t admit it. Not even to my partner, who, while less invested, watches all of their shit with me and lets me ramble. Seriously, what the hell, past me. Cue that new video entering the stage and boy, do I really want to go now. Too bad all shows around me are either sold out, too expensive to get to or too far away for me to make it back in time for an exam :/ I’m really upset and disappointed and boy howdy is there a lesson in here for me. Something about living my truth, I reckon ;)
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I'm not sure what you mean with the call of the void now? What kind of experience did you have? Are you thinking of an actual sort of void calling you?
"L'appel du vide" is more of a general term that gets used to include all of those instances (sudden thoughts of thinking about jumping of a building, or in front of a train, or driving your car right into opposing traffic) where you feel a sort of psychological "pressure" or at the very least have the stark realization that you could act a certain way that would have dramatic (negative) consequences. It doesn't really have to be an act that kills you. The feeling it describes is similar to the feeling you may have to press the red button when you read "DO NOT PRESS THE RED BUTTON". It's more about that involuntary seizing of our mind that happens when our forever number-crunching, environment predicting brains come to the conclusion that doing something would put us in control of the situation.
Of course the obtrusive thoughts that enter your mind that horrify you and which you reject soundly after reflecting on them rationally are the most eye-catching so that's why terms as "l'appel du vide" (literally " the shouting of the empty") are used. But the void is meant metaphorically here.
You did get me very interested in exactly what you experienced :illuminati:
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Elemancy
butt chair

I didn't mean to preface this with an epigraph, but a quote of Vincent Van Gogh's came to mind while I was thinking of all the things I've directly and indirectly learned from D&P, one about how art is meant to console those who are broken by life. I know the definition of art itself is subjective, but what I mean is, in terms of what they've singlehandedly created, this consolidated world built of anecdotes, creativity and laughter chronicling their growth individually and together, they've given me so much solace and peace during times of personal crisis when I've needed it most. In effect teaching me the value of stepping back from the overwhelming aspects of my life to take a breath and adopt a different more lighthearted perspective/not take things so seriously so I can return back to the flow of the day to day a bit more at ease with myself. Granted, I guess that falls under the mantle of escapism and I have many other outlets for distraction which I could credit for doing much the same thing, but they're the ones I continue to return to again and again with varying degrees of inspiration, amusement and admiration which somehow always in turn translates to this kind of kinetic, influential energy of motivating myself to work on my own creative goals and personal milestones.

As others have said, they've helped bolster my own acceptance and comfort with my sexuality, motivated me to be a bit more open with the people around me irl where I'd usually be closed off or distant(even if in many ways it's still a work in progress) and I've also just been more keen on investing time on developing my personal self and interests by virtue of watching them and their audience do the same.
I have so much love and appreciation for them both, not just for the subtle lessons and gifts they've given me throughout the years I've been watching them, but also for what they've accomplished and continue to accomplish. It's such a wonderful little demonstration of hope and light I hold onto and try to translate into my own life with my own endeavors. It's a very soppy notion I know, but I'm very glad I came to find them, that their transformative journey of identity and personal expression has in many ways helped to shape my own.

I don't know...I have a lot of thoughts and feelings when it comes to them both, all summed up in positive inflections of emotion.

I've also learned I'm willing to watch a livestream of a mostly empty balcony for hours at a time and I don't know what that says about me really.
:dildo:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I have learned a whole lot about geography and distance from place to place in England. Like. So much. Sooooo much.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Ooo I really like this topic! The first thing that came to mind for me was Phil saying that his cure to motion sickness in the car is to stick your hand out of the window to trick your brain into focusing on having a cold hand instead of feeling ill. I get car sick pretty often so I was glad to find that it worked for me!

In all seriousness though, I have learned a lot of little things like I described above from them, however I guess the reason I continue to watch them (besides the fact that I simply find them entertaining) is because I found them in a period of my life where I wasn’t doing too great. I suppose I sort of lost who I was due to various negative experiences snowballing during that point in my life, so when I started watching them and related to their interests (and even some of Dan’s, albeit exaggerated, traits through his anecdotes), I--and this is going to sound a little silly--sort of came back to myself. Along with that, I was able to figure out a lot about myself in regards to mental health and make sense of a lot of confusing feelings about being queer. I’m not sure how two British nerds who make videos that somehow give me a frankly baffling feeling of happiness (well, most of the time; I like to maintain the identity of a critical fan) were able to help me understand and bring back many things I see as fundamentally me. Maybe they just came into my life at the right time, or maybe it’s just that they were there for me to fall back on when things weren’t the best in my life for a little break from everything, but I can’t help but draw some connections between being apart of this fandom and growth in my personal life.

I feel like this was a bit dramatic (and maybe a bit much? lol) but I guess I'm feeling mushy today can I have my cynicism back please?, and I don’t think I’ll ever talk about them like this again because as I’m typing this, it definitely feels a bit Much.
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

In terms of really stupid things that have made their way into my life, I never knew what Ribena was. Then I found it in a grocery store over here and decided to try it because D+P were always on about it and found that I love it way more than any other fruit juice. Now I pretty much always have it in my fridge. Also Hobnobs, but that was only tangentially related as I found them because they were next to the Ribena in the store. I eat the chocolate one with my tea in the morning all the time.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
annetamiau
lady door

Everyone is giving such heartfelt answers while mine is a bit lame, but Dan and Phil have taught me ENGLISH. I'm not even kidding, I went from B2 English to certified C2 English in 2.5 years. It got me a relatively well paid, steady job that I enjoy and find fulfilling (you could say Dan and Phil got me a career :D )

I've also learnt a lot about British culture and fandom (I hadn't even heard the word 'fandom' before getting into Dan and Phil). Oh, and I discovered Tumblr too!
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

I kind of want those shoes.

Also looks like we're getting a gaming vid tonight instead of Phils video.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ooh, looks like we get a gaming video next, not the ditl vloggy goodness.
dancy
procrastinator

Sorry, not a fan of that romper. Nice to know there will be a gaming video tonight though! I guess Phil's video will be uploaded during the weekend or on Monday and the trailer a few days after that.

Quick question: I vaguely remember someone saying all TATINOF UK tickets were 20 pounds but I don't know if my mind just made that up or whether it's true. Does anyone know?
autumnhearth
senpai

Yay gaming viddy! Phil vloggy thing this weekend I hope. I’m going to have to search for what British letter carriers wear, because our mailmen look nothing like that. I should know, I’m married to one. Love that tunic though. My son has a grey one a bit like that, but with more texture and long sleeves. It feels like a long time since we’ve seen Dan’s legs. They look tan though. With very pronounced knees. Pretty over the crouch and pray pose, but nice to see him outside. Oh... I just noticed it is one piece. Cool cool.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fancybum
senpai

When typos reveal deeper truths (that He Pret).

So... Sunday for vloggy goodness then? Or next week!? It’s almost like they enjoy torturing us??
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i need that romper...... i luv it.... rompers are gay culture.
i would ask where he got it, but i probably can't afford it.

also hell yes new vid tonight
i still want another Getting Over It, but i'm gonna have a wild guess that it's a lovenikki spon. idk where i pulled that from, but i wouldn't be upset bc dressup games were my guilty pleasure growing up lmaooo.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
starwatersong
phabergé

Like the romper, love the photos, adore the confidence. <3
so_cheesy
butt chair

Shoot, he looks great. That's all I can say.