Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i think him mentioning going back to uni in his 'live my truth' video was just an example of what his mind went through when he was off his meds. I don't see him going back at all. not that I don't believe in him or whatever, i just don't think he would want that considering his past experiences.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

wow i ship it
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

watsonian wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:17 pm Goddammit. :/ That's honestly so upsetting. Why would you signal boost that once dnp were aware of it? Her video has already jumped 10k views from yesterday. Even if the majority of the fandom is respectful, there are enough of us that 0.1% will be harassing her.

How do you listen to someone with that sort of disorganized speech for more than a minute and not come to the conclusion that kindness is called for? Continuing to expose her to public scrutiny after the concerns about people's safety have been addressed is cruel.
This. I don't really know how to put this into words, but I feel like people sometimes act quite harshly/hastily if they're very panicked or just having an emotional reaction of some kind, which is justifiable to an extent, but the fact that there are still people going after this woman and harassing her breaks my heart.
Sunshine
phillion/danosaur <//3

starwatersong wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm PJ posted some classic pics on Twitter today, including this one of 2010 Dan:
That is a great photo of Dan, he looks like he’s got a right gob on!
sparkle
blobfish

hello9217 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 am I'm sorry but I really can't see how Dan, who wanted to make it perfectly clear that he was not talking about dick in his last video, who literally pulled out a laptop to show us that we were all mis-informed, would be the same guy to post a coming out video in June. Maybe I'm just a little annoyed that literally anytime Dan talks about future videos the phandom always says its a coming out. By the way I'm also part way blaming Dan for continuing the same old cycle of hyping a video, putting a date on said video and then receives fallout when the video is not a coming out. Trust me I KNOW that Dan is not straight and I really don't feel like he would need to post a video stating that. But hey I guess we will find out in June. :shrug:
I think its more about my curiosity of June being so specific. If it helps, I was also going to reference there being a week for Mens Health, and Diabetes in June and maybe it would link to those too? Or it could be to do with his current charity work and link in to a summer holiday campaign? Pride month seems a fairly likely candidate to me, although that would have the obvious connotations of being a coming out video, which is something that I can't necessarily see him doing during the tour. Maybe, maybe, MAYBE it would be something about him struggling with his identity, and then tied into Pride month? Because that would be interesting.

ANYWAY,

whoever suggested yoga challenge. FUCK YES.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
annetamiau
lady door

Dan has only uploaded on his channel twice this year and it's almost mid April. June might not have any particular significance; perhaps he wants to post an ISG video or the tour video counts (to him) as a normal video and that's why the next one will be in June.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

idk about pride month but lgbt history month in the uk is february. pride in london runs from 9th june - 7th july so there is something lgbt related in june but june doesn't seem to be all that celebrated in the uk specifically? glasgow pride is in july, anyway. i didn't really think it would be an lgbt related video anyway (i don't think he'd announce a video like that months in advance) but it feels kind of like a bit of a reach, like when d+p somehow got married in japan even though gay marriage isn't legal there

june does have world refugee day, world environment day, world oceans day and world day to combat desertification and drought, so maybe dan the environmentalist is going to join the contrapoints associated lefty youtube gang. hbomberguy who? shaun who?
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

jaej wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:18 pm idk about pride month but lgbt history month in the uk is february. pride in london runs from 9th june - 7th july so there is something lgbt related in june but june doesn't seem to be all that celebrated in the uk specifically? glasgow pride is in july, anyway. i didn't really think it would be an lgbt related video anyway (i don't think he'd announce a video like that months in advance) but it feels kind of like a bit of a reach, like when d+p somehow got married in japan even though gay marriage isn't legal there

june does have world refugee day, world environment day, world oceans day and world day to combat desertification and drought, so maybe dan the environmentalist is going to join the contrapoints associated lefty youtube gang. hbomberguy who? shaun who?
I've been thinking after seeing your post that Dan might do something related to environmentalism? He did mention in his Trying to Live my Truth video that one of his resolutions would be trying to purchase less single-use plastics...
sparkle
blobfish

jaej wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:18 pm idk about pride month but lgbt history month in the uk is february. pride in london runs from 9th june - 7th july so there is something lgbt related in june but june doesn't seem to be all that celebrated in the uk specifically? glasgow pride is in july, anyway. i didn't really think it would be an lgbt related video anyway (i don't think he'd announce a video like that months in advance) but it feels kind of like a bit of a reach, like when d+p somehow got married in japan even though gay marriage isn't legal there

I would LOVE that... though isnt it Earth Day this month (this is my remembering from being at Disneyland this time last year, my Disney Blues are strong today, they had like a 'thing' for it before they did the Illuminations)

it would be clever if it tied into something like what you mentioned though :)
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
knq
lava lamp

My guess is that the June video will have nothing to do with June. :shrug:

Has Dan ever explained why he thinks certain videos belong in certain months? I know I've heard him say something is "such a March video" or the like several times. Embedding one such instance below ft. Phil:
At about 43 minutes Dan's describing video ideas as January, February, and 'March 15th' videos, which I assume is in his regular hyperbolic joking-but-not-really-joking way. I wonder if he's ever expanded on why he feels that way.
blackdenim
procrastinator

watsonian wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:41 pm My guess is that the June video will have nothing to do with June. :shrug:
I agree, and tbh I think his 'this feels like an X month video' thing is essentially an excuse for procrastination. He isn't a regular enough uploader to have the luxury of thinking like that IMO. It's not like he's churning out videos every week, and has loads of ideas he can slot later in the year because he thinks they 'fit there' better. It's more likely, he thinks of an idea in February, doesn't get round to doing it until June and then tries to pretend he always wanted to release it in June.

Anyway with that criticism said and done I hope I'm totally wrong about the above and he is planning some kind of environmentalism video in June. it's a cause I'm passionate about and I think any attention shed on any area of sustainable living can only be a good thing.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

watsonian wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:41 pm My guess is that the June video will have nothing to do with June. :shrug:
My guess would be that the video will be connected in some way to his birthday rather than the month of June in general. A birthday can be a time of change. Maybe a time for making a new mature decision? "Now that I'm 27 I will .... or I will no longer..."

Or it could have nothing to do with either June or his birthday. I'm just hoping he gets off his rear end and makes that candle haul vid he's been teasing for ages.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

my main hope for tour videos would've been to film a lot of footage for a gaming channel series and then break it up to release regularly. i actually think if they wanted to do a story based type of game that kingdom hearts could be good for the channel? it has a huge following and i think it would overlap pretty well with their audience, it has a lot of hype rn with 3 getting proper announcements and isn't so story heavy that they wouldn't be able to still talk. the way it's broken up into different worlds would also mean it would suit their episode structure pretty well. it's also just a ridiculous game so there's enough weird cheesiness to laugh at.

i think they really lack a good series of playing through a full game (undertale was so long ago) and a tour just seems like the ideal time to have consistent pre filmed footage? it doesn't even need to be for a game that long, just ANY consistent series seems like a good idea when the only other one is the sims
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
liola
rankussy

jaej wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:37 pm my main hope for tour videos would've been to film a lot of footage for a gaming channel series and then break it up to release regularly. i actually think if they wanted to do a story based type of game that kingdom hearts could be good for the channel? it has a huge following and i think it would overlap pretty well with their audience, it has a lot of hype rn with 3 getting proper announcements and isn't so story heavy that they wouldn't be able to still talk. the way it's broken up into different worlds would also mean it would suit their episode structure pretty well. it's also just a ridiculous game so there's enough weird cheesiness to laugh at.

i think they really lack a good series of playing through a full game (undertale was so long ago) and a tour just seems like the ideal time to have consistent pre filmed footage? it doesn't even need to be for a game that long, just ANY consistent series seems like a good idea when the only other one is the sims
I actually just shed a tear at the mere idea of Dan and Phil playing Kingdom Hearts. I'm a huge huge fan of the game, it has a special place in my heart and I can so so much see them play it and enjoy it (I think they might have though? They must). They're both final fantasy fans, Phil in particular, and they would get such a kick of the unfolding of the plot, the recurring FF characters and just the overall beauty of it.

Only problem is that it's not suited for collaborative gameplay, so they'd have to take it in turns which I can't imagine because you have to get a handle on how to fight, but boy would I pay for it.

Great now my heart is warm at the idea and it'll never happen and I'll be here suffering, unable to play myself. Life is unfair ;_;
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I was just rewatching the Huffington Post interview from 2015, and starting around 10:50 a viewer is talking about how she had been suffering from depression but was recovering, and their videos had helped her a lot. I found it interesting to re-watch it now with the knowledge that Dan had starting seeking help that past year. You could tell Dan was affected by the message from the girl, but you could also tell Phil was also so affected and touched by it. I obviously don't want to make assumptions about everything that went on during that time because that's personal to them, but I just noticed how Phil looked almost choked up at times during this part, and also kept looking at Dan with what looked like so much pride in his eyes. It's just a really nice moment I think (obviously there's shitty stuff behind it all, but this was when things were getting better, and I think this viewer message just really touched both of them).

edit: I somehow messed up the youtube embed?
Last edited by alittledizzy on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

sapienveneficus wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 pm
My guess would be that the video will be connected in some way to his birthday rather than the month of June in general. A birthday can be a time of change. Maybe a time for making a new mature decision? "Now that I'm 27 I will .... or I will no longer..."

Or it could have nothing to do with either June or his birthday. I'm just hoping he gets off his rear end and makes that candle haul vid he's been teasing for ages.
he said in his liveshow that it has nothing to do with his birthday
i want a candle haul but only in a liveshow, take a break from all the stress in your head from being put on the spot, danny!
tbh i would die for a lush haul from him or phil.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
fieldoflovers
living flop

I know Dan said the video has nothing to do with his birthday but it’d be cool if he did a 27 things i’ve learned at 27 and that could have enough life lessons/ jokes in it to be up his alley.
dancy
procrastinator

jaej wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:37 pm my main hope for tour videos would've been to film a lot of footage for a gaming channel series and then break it up to release regularly. i actually think if they wanted to do a story based type of game that kingdom hearts could be good for the channel? it has a huge following and i think it would overlap pretty well with their audience, it has a lot of hype rn with 3 getting proper announcements and isn't so story heavy that they wouldn't be able to still talk. the way it's broken up into different worlds would also mean it would suit their episode structure pretty well. it's also just a ridiculous game so there's enough weird cheesiness to laugh at.

Ooh, I'd love for them to play Kingdom Hearts if they haven't done so already! I haven't played it myself but I always watched my brother playing it when I was a kid. I agree that the gaming channel lacks series and that it would be a good idea as content for the tour. It's still a bit of a shame to me that they didn't play more of Dream Daddy.

Unpopular opinion though (maybe?) but I don’t actually like D&P's playthrough of Undertale all that much. I've been a fan of theirs for less than a year (though I've known of them for much longer) but I remember stumbling upon their first few Undertale videos in early 2016 and thinking "these two have a gaming channel?". I decided to watch the first two UT videos and thought they weren't that great. To be fair, it was right after I had finished watching Jacksepticeye playing it (who's got the best playthrough of it imo) but even now it doesn't quite hit the mark for me for some reason.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a gaming video today because it's been nearly a week since the last one. No idea what Dan's June video could be about but right now I care more about what his next video will be. It's been 5 weeks since Trying to Live My Truth and Dan didn't really say anything about dinof videos besides the one in June... I guess he might see the upcoming tour trailer (whatever that'll be) as content?
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

dancy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 am Unpopular opinion though (maybe?) but I don’t actually like D&P's playthrough of Undertale all that much. I've been a fan of theirs for less than a year (though I've known of them for much longer) but I remember stumbling upon their first few Undertale videos in early 2016 and thinking "these two have a gaming channel?". I decided to watch the first two UT videos and thought they weren't that great. To be fair, it was right after I had finished watching Jacksepticeye playing it (who's got the best playthrough of it imo) but even now it doesn't quite hit the mark for me for some reason.
I feel the same about Undertale to be honest, I only watched the first few episodes and then got bored of it. I don't know if I'm not just into watching them play longer games because I also didn't like their Dream Daddy videos or if it's something else. I loved playing both games myself so maybe it's because I already knew the stories and that's why watching someone else play it was boring for me. :shrug: Anyways, I'm loving the idea of a longer series but I'd prefer it to be like The Sims. Like, a game that isn't necessarily so heavy on story or just a bit less predictable. I haven't played any of the newer Kingdom Hearts games but the way I remember the gameplay it would actually work really well for a series because it's not one linear story and not as dialogue heavy as Dream Daddy or Undertale.

On another note, I’d love for Dan to make more “silly” videos like candle hauls or clothes hauls to be honest. That’s the content I crave right now. I know his quality threshold is super high and we probably won’t be getting anything like this from him ever and that’s fine with me because it’s his channel and he needs to be happy with what he puts on it but… I’d love it so much, just videos where he talks about stuff he likes, be it candles, clothes, music or anything.

(I can’t believe Dan is 27 soon bc that means I’m also 27 soon, what is time, oh my god…)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Katka wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:22 pm
dancy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:56 am Unpopular opinion though (maybe?) but I don’t actually like D&P's playthrough of Undertale all that much. I've been a fan of theirs for less than a year (though I've known of them for much longer) but I remember stumbling upon their first few Undertale videos in early 2016 and thinking "these two have a gaming channel?". I decided to watch the first two UT videos and thought they weren't that great. To be fair, it was right after I had finished watching Jacksepticeye playing it (who's got the best playthrough of it imo) but even now it doesn't quite hit the mark for me for some reason.
I feel the same about Undertale to be honest, I only watched the first few episodes and then got bored of it. I don't know if I'm not just into watching them play longer games because I also didn't like their Dream Daddy videos or if it's something else. I loved playing both games myself so maybe it's because I already knew the stories and that's why watching someone else play it was boring for me. :shrug: Anyways, I'm loving the idea of a longer series but I'd prefer it to be like The Sims. Like, a game that isn't necessarily so heavy on story or just a bit less predictable. I haven't played any of the newer Kingdom Hearts games but the way I remember the gameplay it would actually work really well for a series because it's not one linear story and not as dialogue heavy as Dream Daddy or Undertale.

On another note, I’d love for Dan to make more “silly” videos like candle hauls or clothes hauls to be honest. That’s the content I crave right now. I know his quality threshold is super high and we probably won’t be getting anything like this from him ever and that’s fine with me because it’s his channel and he needs to be happy with what he puts on it but… I’d love it so much, just videos where he talks about stuff he likes, be it candles, clothes, music or anything.

(I can’t believe Dan is 27 soon bc that means I’m also 27 soon, what is time, oh my god…)
I definitely find that with longer plays, it really helps me to not know anything about the game. If it feels like I'm watching a story unfold I don't know the ending to then it's just - better.

I also like not prejudging how they play. Any time they play something people are familiar with or feel emotionally attached to, those people seem to get way less fun out of watching Dan and Phil since Dan and Phil always devote as much (if not more) time to being entertaining and #bantz as they do playing and therefore kind of half-ass the gameplay or miss things that dedicated fans would deem important. It just seems like it'd be less fun to be disappointed by how they do something.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

Mmm same I ended up watching Cryaotic's playthrough; I'm not a fan of gaming in general but I binged that hard. lol I actually watched it twice I think, I forgot how much I stanned that game (never both it tho because hello! I'm broke).

I'm not a gaming fan in general; I watch most of deppy's gaming videos simply because they're in them, which makes them ipso facto good imo. Still, I'm hoping the gaming channel is still vaguely regular-ish during tour, even if the quantity of videos drops (which is understandable). I value consistency over quantity, so if they space out their videos over tour and we're not deprived for long periods of time, I'll be fine. Oh, and hopefully we get a video today!
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

fieldoflovers wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:35 am I know Dan said the video has nothing to do with his birthday but it’d be cool if he did a 27 things i’ve learned at 27 and that could have enough life lessons/ jokes in it to be up his alley.
27??? time is weird and i've realized that deppy are now about the same age as my parents were when i was in school. like, holy heck, no wonder it wasn't the most functional and normal family. im trying to imagine them (or any other internet people) parenting 3 children and owning a house, and understand my childhood a bit better :D
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

New Hot Topic shirt, so I guess the first one sold well enough to warrant a second? Not my taste, but you get that licensed merchandise money, boys.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:19 pm New Hot Topic shirt, so I guess the first one sold well enough to warrant a second? Not my taste, but you get that licensed merchandise money, boys.
Snaps to them for this deal! Damn.

I like this concept tbh. I could rock this as a PJ shirt. I just wish it had their current hair. The old hair styles throw me off now.
sparkle
blobfish

anime_is_not_cool wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:34 pm
fieldoflovers wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:35 am I know Dan said the video has nothing to do with his birthday but it’d be cool if he did a 27 things i’ve learned at 27 and that could have enough life lessons/ jokes in it to be up his alley.
27??? time is weird and i've realized that deppy are now about the same age as my parents were when i was in school. like, holy heck, no wonder it wasn't the most functional and normal family. im trying to imagine them (or any other internet people) parenting 3 children and owning a house, and understand my childhood a bit better :D
Phil is 31, my dad was 31 when I was born. I genuinely feel like that a lot too - I can't imagine him with a baby :lol:

I also can't think about this too much because I'm 23 next month, and that does freak me out a little because I don't feel big enough at all.
don't waste your time
or time will waste you