Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

sparkle wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:46 pm I have two questions:

when I watched Dans liveshow yesterday when I was getting ready, he said something about having a video he's pushed back until June that has nothing to do with his birthday. I wonder what the hell that could be, does anyone have any thoughts? I'm curious because its during tour, so if its anything 'big' he would face in person questions more than any other video (for example, his one on depression). The demon in me is curious if it could be related to Pride Month, but I SEVERELY doubt it. I'm just very curious, what would be important enough he'd mention it (like his antidepressant story) but not relevant enough to be posted immediately?

Second question;

Someone in the other thread (sorry I cant remember who it was - full credit to you) suggested that Dan could be going back to uni in the autumn. This is something I wouldnt be shocked by, except he's on tour during September. Its not exactly great to miss your first week of lectures, especially because Dans experience was so bad at UoM, start as you mean to go on and all that. Theres also the very real possibility of him being in lectures with fans of his, and I can't imagine him necessarily wanting that? I DO think Dan is very interested in returning to education though, it's a vibe I've got from him for a while. And I think he's learned a lot from when he studied at Manchester (I do genuinely feel for him being in the halls that he was, I know which ones he was in and they really do look like a prison. Tbh ALL UoM halls I've seen are horrific and I'm glad I was never in them) and I think his experience would be infinitely better. And he's got the A-Levels and professional experience to pretty much walk into any university in the country if he so desired.
I think that if he was to go back he would do it extramurally. I can’t see him wanting to go back as a mature student and trying to live s student life/timetable. He could have been studying online for the last year already. Depending on what he studied this time and last time some of his credits could be transferred as well.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
fieldoflovers
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

Second question;

Someone in the other thread (sorry I cant remember who it was - full credit to you) suggested that Dan could be going back to uni in the autumn. This is something I wouldnt be shocked by, except he's on tour during September. Its not exactly great to miss your first week of lectures, especially because Dans experience was so bad at UoM, start as you mean to go on and all that. Theres also the very real possibility of him being in lectures with fans of his, and I can't imagine him necessarily wanting that? I DO think Dan is very interested in returning to education though, it's a vibe I've got from him for a while. And I think he's learned a lot from when he studied at Manchester (I do genuinely feel for him being in the halls that he was, I know which ones he was in and they really do look like a prison. Tbh ALL UoM halls I've seen are horrific and I'm glad I was never in them) and I think his experience would be infinitely better. And he's got the A-Levels and professional experience to pretty much walk into any university in the country if he so desired.
I think he could potentially do online classes though of course a real life experience might be more fulfilling. Dan has social anxiety however and I think it might bother him if his subscribers were in the same classes as him even if they weren’t creepshoting or posting about him. A lot of young celebrities do end up going to uni so if they can do it, I’m sure dan can. Although what do you think he’d study? Something to do with filmmaking or something seperate from his career?
sparkle
blobfish

lilabet wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 pm
I think that if he was to go back he would do it extramurally. I can’t see him wanting to go back as a mature student and trying to live s student life/timetable. He could have been studying online for the last year already. Depending on what he studied this time and last time some of his credits could be transferred as well.
If I recall, he didnt complete his first year of Law, and i'm assuming he was missing approximately 30 credits? (based on him having to resit at least one exam in August) unless he completed that exam and passed the year, then wouldn't he have to do first year again?

my only experience of this is myself, who restarted a degree with 80/120 first year credits complete in my previous one (this is assuming I actually passed my Media Law exam :lol:), and someone who transferred into second year while I was at uni, with complete first year credits.
fieldoflovers wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 pm I think he could potentially do online classes though of course a real life experience might be more fulfilling. Dan has social anxiety however and I think it might bother him if his subscribers were in the same classes as him even if they weren’t creepshoting or posting about him. A lot of young celebrities do end up going to uni so if they can do it, I’m sure dan can. Although what do you think he’d study? Something to do with filmmaking or something seperate from his career?
I could see Dan doing something like Philosophy, or English Literature? Definitely something that isn't necessarily practical and needs lab time.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sparkle wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:08 pm
fieldoflovers wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 pm I think he could potentially do online classes though of course a real life experience might be more fulfilling. Dan has social anxiety however and I think it might bother him if his subscribers were in the same classes as him even if they weren’t creepshoting or posting about him. A lot of young celebrities do end up going to uni so if they can do it, I’m sure dan can. Although what do you think he’d study? Something to do with filmmaking or something seperate from his career?
I could see Dan doing something like Philosophy, or English Literature? Definitely something that isn't necessarily practical and needs lab time.
I feel like he is very interested in philosophy, but I also feel like he probably a) wouldn't do well with the academia route with it and b) wouldn't enjoy the academia route with it. In fact, if he's been watching contrapoints lately, she's probably giving him some good perspective of why academia is overrated when it comes to philosophy. If I'm recalling correctly, contra has her PhD in it and worked as a philosophy professor before quitting and picking up other odd jobs and now youtube.

I think Dan is probably better served being an amateur philosopher who supplements (or replaces) actual reading with just... youtube deep dives. No stress, no schedule, no responsibility, but still opening himself up to perspectives in a way he wants.
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

sparkle wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:08 pm
lilabet wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 pm
If I recall, he didnt complete his first year of Law, and i'm assuming he was missing approximately 30 credits? (based on him having to resit at least one exam in August) unless he completed that exam and passed the year, then wouldn't he have to do first year again?

my only experience of this is myself, who restarted a degree with 80/120 first year credits complete in my previous one (this is assuming I actually passed my Media Law exam :lol:), and someone who transferred into second year while I was at uni, with complete first year credits.
I was just thinking about him studying something along these lines! I think Dan really thrives on subjects which can be discussed and thought about in a slightly more... abstract and less rigid way. I strongly believe that he'll take online classes in the event he decides to reenter Uni education, probably a mix of it being easier to fit into his schedule, being less of a trigger for potential social anxiety (unless online classes trigger that too, but since his job is on the internet, I doubt it) and allowing him for the most part to continue on with his life as usual ( he'd still be able to spend time in his sofa crease and in an environment he finds comfortable, etc. )
That being said, maybe he just doesn't enjoy learning things in a formal setting? I know quite a few people who never picked much up from a formal education and once they left that situation/setting they really blossomed (weird wording but hey) intellectually and just in life in general. I may be biased though, after seeing how happy someone in my life has become after dropping out!
malday
emo goose

when I watched Dans liveshow yesterday when I was getting ready, he said something about having a video he's pushed back until June that has nothing to do with his birthday. I wonder what the hell that could be, does anyone have any thoughts? I'm curious because its during tour, so if its anything 'big' he would face in person questions more than any other video (for example, his one on depression). The demon in me is curious if it could be related to Pride Month, but I SEVERELY doubt it. I'm just very curious, what would be important enough he'd mention it (like his antidepressant story) but not relevant enough to be posted immediately?
Since he waited to talk about depression for world mental health day, it's not far fetched to think he would do a video talking about sexuality for pride month. It could be just a general supportive/philosophical video on the subject, not one necessarily focusing on his own sexuality or revealing anything about it he hasn't said before on his channel.
But it's better not to expect him to talk about this since it's always anticipated.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Completely unrelated to the current discussion (sorry):

Is there anyone out there who would like to help with the Phandom Survey? We need people who are good at stats/analysing of the data. If you’re interested then please DM me, looking for 2-3 people to help out.

😘
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:16 pm
I feel like he is very interested in philosophy, but I also feel like he probably a) wouldn't do well with the academia route with it and b) wouldn't enjoy the academia route with it. In fact, if he's been watching contrapoints lately, she's probably giving him some good perspective of why academia is overrated when it comes to philosophy. If I'm recalling correctly, contra has her PhD in it and worked as a philosophy professor before quitting and picking up other odd jobs and now youtube.
I actually think Dan is perfectly positioned to study philosophy in academia! He doesn't have to stress about whether his degree will earn him money because he already has established his career. Studying in school gives you the advantage of lots of other people's input (other students as well as professors) and the accountability of having to do classwork (papers and/or exams) which will demand a certain amount of rigor in studying ideas and articulating positions which is very hard to achieve on one's own.

Dan is a great autodidact; I think he could be a good scholar too, if he wanted to be. And maybe if he has or is getting a degree there might be fewer people in the phandom calling him stupid/pretentious/whatever weird insult.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lefthandedism wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 pm
I actually think Dan is perfectly positioned to study philosophy in academia! He doesn't have to stress about whether his degree will earn him money because he already has established his career. Studying in school gives you the advantage of lots of other people's input (other students as well as professors) and the accountability of having to do classwork (papers and/or exams) which will demand a certain amount of rigor in studying ideas and articulating positions which is very hard to achieve on one's own.

Dan is a great autodidact; I think he could be a good scholar too, if he wanted to be. And maybe if he has or is getting a degree there might be fewer people in the phandom calling him stupid/pretentious/whatever weird insult.
I think my perspective is that Dan feels pressure on him to succeed in a public kind of way; I think academia would absolutely still be that even if he didn't 'need' the degree. I think fear/shame of failing would put so much pressure on him that he'd self-defeat, much like with youtube and his desire to make more content but ultimate inability to. I don't think that stress gives him a positive motivation when the workload is still ultimately on his shoulders, especially not during depressive spells.

Though maybe it would be completely different the second time around. I just think based on Dan's current career, I don't see that enough about him as a person and his methods of handling stress/pressure and deadlines has changed so much that a second attempt at uni would be that much more manageable than the first.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I'm sure no one is interested lol but here's Phil's new shirt from this photo. Must be from his shopping spree looking for tour outfits!
(image and link under the cut)
dailybooth
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

sonicgreen wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:09 am I'm sure no one is interested lol but here's Phil's new shirt from this photo. Must be from his shopping spree looking for tour outfits!
(image and link under the cut)
I actually was interested! For a second I thought it was some kind of merch. Nah, just Phil's tried and true favorite, Topman. :lol:

I'm definitely excited for whatever video Dan's tweet leads to! I would love to see them seriously attempt makeup, or any kind of artsy/crafty thing.
:lion: :prideflag:
hello9217
flower crown

I'm sorry but I really can't see how Dan, who wanted to make it perfectly clear that he was not talking about dick in his last video, who literally pulled out a laptop to show us that we were all mis-informed, would be the same guy to post a coming out video in June. Maybe I'm just a little annoyed that literally anytime Dan talks about future videos the phandom always says its a coming out. By the way I'm also part way blaming Dan for continuing the same old cycle of hyping a video, putting a date on said video and then receives fallout when the video is not a coming out. Trust me I KNOW that Dan is not straight and I really don't feel like he would need to post a video stating that. But hey I guess we will find out in June. :shrug:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

my suggestion for them doing the yoga challenge on twitter is getting a lot of rt's and likes
i hope dnp notice it and take the got damb hint
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

hello9217 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 am I'm sorry but I really can't see how Dan, who wanted to make it perfectly clear that he was not talking about dick in his last video, who literally pulled out a laptop to show us that we were all mis-informed, would be the same guy to post a coming out video in June. Maybe I'm just a little annoyed that literally anytime Dan talks about future videos the phandom always says its a coming out. By the way I'm also part way blaming Dan for continuing the same old cycle of hyping a video, putting a date on said video and then receives fallout when the video is not a coming out. Trust me I KNOW that Dan is not straight and I really don't feel like he would need to post a video stating that. But hey I guess we will find out in June. :shrug:
I didn't find that he was hyping it up, but maybe just giving a hint. i understand what you mean though... when that week in march happened, i was distancing myself from interacting with the phandom around that time so i just silently observed everyone's theories.
on one hand, people usually want to be prepared for a big video, but on the other hand, people would be disappointed if the video they were informed about isn't up to their standards.
it could have just been an impulsive thought that Dan had in his liveshow, like maybe he was speaking his thoughts whilst going through ideas in his head?? but it's not crazy to assume a certain topic (coming out) given what month it will be posted, yknow?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
phoenixfeather
dank meme

lefthandedism wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 pm

kind of related, but didnt he say his mothers degree is in philosophy? am i just imagining that? it's actually bugging me and idr where i heard that
blackdenim
procrastinator

The only video I will accept from Dan's 'what would you like to see us do on YouTube?' tweet is a full reveal of their two apartments. I'm waiting for my public vindication, boys.

Would alternatively accept an apartment tour where they show us every room in both apartments but don't explain how they connect to make everyone even more confused.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Second question;

Interesting questions. Let's gather around the campfire and speculate. if we list enough ideas it'll become statistically plausible somebody among us was right and then we can be an In Depth Oracle again ;)

The way he talked about the mystery video certainly grabbed attention. I'm not sure if that was coincidental or a really genius way to create hype :mrgreen: I'm not going to build to much expectations because it could literally be anything and I think the only thing special about that video might be that it isn't part of a 'traditional series" like ISG, baking etc...
Given what he has done before in june and how a large part of the audience will be doing exams of some kind again, something about school, education, motivation or self-development sounds like a good candidate.
Another avenue would be a video that continues on the mental health - self-help with Dan route. I'd love for him to tell us more about his personal struggles and history, and I hope he views part of his engagement with Young Minds UK as just making video's about these issues.

Something about pride month (is it pride month in the UK, the US or everywhere in June?) would surprise me, but it's not out of the realm of the possible. I feel like the last two or so years Dan has been much more direct and unambiguous in showing bisexual interest. A lot of people tie in his (increased) openness about sexuality with openness about his supposed relationship with Phil, but I think those a separate tracks.
While i don't think he ever wants to do a real "coming out video", it may just be the year he's ready to do something about pride month. But I think there's an odd chance at best he'll be waving the pride flag :|

Dan returning to uni I don't see happening at all. While I think he's a smart dude with a curious mind, to this day he expresses mixed views about formal education. His personal experience wasn't the best. I don't really know of any people who quit uni only to return a couple of years later while they have a wildly successful career.
I do think going to university is valuable and isn't overrated by itself btw (though the incredible high tuition fees they ask would make me pause ) but it's definitely not the be and end all if you just want to explore a genuine thirst for knowledge.

The timing is another reason I don't think he'll return to college. They are in the midst of a world tour in October. Regardless of whether he attends classes physically or not, it'd be a really bad time to start uni again.
I think this might be one of those ideas that gets a lot of support just because a lot of the people that follow them are busy with (deciding to go to) uni and planning their education in their own lives, but i've seen little out of Dan himself that would hint at him making such a remarkable decision.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I am not sure where y'all went to university but imo there's absolutely no way he's ever going back to uni.
I have two degrees from unis from different European countries so I am not too biased towards one education system when I say uni is not for learning things. Uni is for getting a degree.

Do you really see Dan attending early morning lectures, doing group work, meeting with professors to talk about his papers, writing exams, all while being very known among the demographic that will attend uni in the next years? And what for—a degree that the doesn't need because he is famous and that will be what negotiates his pay.

If he wants to learn more about certain topics, he can do exactly what you'd do at uni—read books. Just without all the other uni nonsense.
autumnhearth
senpai

Completely agree with dizzy and LtrllySusan re Dan and university.

Currently loving all these :deppy: plushie fan photos from around the world that dan and phil shop are retweeting.

This one was shared on Tumblr and prompted me to check the rest out. :love2:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Thanks for the plushie pix, autumnhearth! What a nice way to start my day. I love how most of the plushies are kissing or holding hands. <3

As for uni, I have more than one degree, yet constantly daydream about "going back to school" for the learning environment. Absolutely, I'm pretty done with the jumping-through-the-hoops part, but I found the experience invaluable (and not particularly in a money-making way).

Good point that Dan would be going to uni with exactly the demographic of his audience, though. Hmm.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
annoying dog
crusty sponge

TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

Salt wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:51 pm wetheunicorns can go rot tbh

http://www.wetheunicorns.com/youtubers/ ... h-threats/
Wow, this article was really unnecessary. I get that they're supposed to report drama in the YouTube world and all that, but I think that even giving attention to it/the fan was a risky idea which could stir up more drama, and they went as far as including a video which clearly shows her face and voice. This is a situation + person who needs to be dealt with delicately and behind the scenes to figure out what was meant by this person and if indeed harm was intended.
knq
lava lamp

Goddammit. :/ That's honestly so upsetting. Why would you signal boost that once dnp were aware of it? Her video has already jumped 10k views from yesterday. Even if the majority of the fandom is respectful, there are enough of us that 0.1% will be harassing her.

How do you listen to someone with that sort of disorganized speech for more than a minute and not come to the conclusion that kindness is called for? Continuing to expose her to public scrutiny after the concerns about people's safety have been addressed is cruel.
starwatersong
phabergé

PJ posted some classic pics on Twitter today, including this one of 2010 Dan:
Last edited by Catallena on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed twitter embedding
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

starwatersong wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm PJ posted some classic pics on Twitter today, including this one of 2010 Dan:
Is Dan gonna unlist PJ's twitter now