Dan & Phil Part 70: giving the people what they want

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
malday
emo goose

a video of a certain part
:rofl:
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

Edit to clarify no new exciting spoilers under the tag, sorry! just wanting to discuss a thing that made me head tilt~
So there's a two second clip of Phil saying 'bitch' on loop that some people are loving but makes me feel kind of gross.

I'm wondering about the regional differences in the use of the word bitch in the UK vs the US and elsewhere. I'm sure plenty of the people liking that specific bit of the diss track are from places other than the UK, but from my personal, specific cultural perspective, I'm startled by a man calling himself a feminist and also addressing a group of young women as 'bitch' for effect. What's up with that?

disclaimer~ phil's a lovely person, it's meant to make people laugh, etc etc etc
Last edited by knq on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

ghfhf okay thanks a bunch @missemma + @alittledizzy for clearing up! i wasn't really anxious about them doing more stuff outside of youtube, that's actually really good and I'd love to see them do that. it was more about the initial thought of them splitting up, cause that would have been hella confusing, given all of the things we know now. im calming down a bit. and @Phantasy lol that's The Dream™
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

malday wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:48 pm a video of a certain part
oh my god lmaoo I love that so much. I'm drinking in these spoilers, and wow I really can't wait to see them in August. And tbh, to add onto that discussion a bit, I'd love to see them do more stuff outside of youtube, especially more creative stuff on Phil's part, as he hasn't really done much aside from videos
Last edited by obsessivelymoody on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I don't think I can handle Phil rapping but oh my god I love Dan's little song here??

spent a lot of time on the internet alone
but on youtube he found a place to call home
a magical world of skateboarding cats
of vloggers and filmmakers and some big headed twats
but dan enjoyed this world all alone until
he met a black haired emo boy called amazingphil
this phil guy, he was weird but also pretty rad
he talked about his life and he wore a lot of plaid
dan wanted to join in but he couldn't make clips
so he asked hey buddy can i have some editing tips

phantastically-avg
sad dimple

fancy_nancy wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:39 pm
oh wow Dan knows how to strike a pose, doesn't he?! Phil maybe should practice a little more :lol:
Poor Phil, there was an attempt.
Plaid and editing tips. I'm here for it tbh.
So there's a two second clip of Phil saying 'bitch' on loop that some people are loving but makes me feel kind of gross.

I'm wondering about the regional differences in the use of the word bitch in the UK vs the US and elsewhere. I'm sure plenty of the people liking that specific bit of the diss track are from places other than the UK, but from my personal, specific cultural perspective, I'm startled by a man calling himself a feminist and also addressing a group of young women as 'bitch' for effect. What's up with that?

disclaimer~ phil's a lovely person, it's meant to make people laugh, etc etc etc
I have to agree with this. I hate gendered slurs and I really don't think there was any need for that, especially from someone who say's he's a feminist. I'm sure a million people will say it didn't bother them so it's not an issue, but to me, they used poor judgment with this.

Maybe they'll hear the feedback on it and change it at a later date.
Last edited by phantastically-avg on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
smartcookie
drama llama

fancy_nancy wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:39 pm
Apparently this is what it takes to get me out off lurkdom, and that only to say how fricking much I love this photo.
The girl’s and Dan’s faces and poses, as well as the caption really made my day <3
I’ve found most M&G pics a bit cringe (soz, can’t help it lol) but this really made me crack up.
everything sucks forever
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:55 pm
I don't think I can handle Phil rapping but oh my god I love Dan's little song here??

spent a lot of time on the internet alone
but on youtube he found a place to call home
a magical world of skateboarding cats
of (??) and filmmakers and some big headed twats
but dan enjoyed this world all alone until
he met a black haired emo boy called amazingphil
this phil guy, he was weird but also pretty rad
he talked about his life and he wore a lot of plaid
dan wanted to join in but he couldn't make clips
so he asked hey buddy can i have some editing tips

I think he says 'vloggers' before filmmakers?
alien
procrastinator

watsonian wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:49 pm Edit to clarify no new exciting spoilers under the tag, sorry! just wanting to discuss a thing that made me head tilt~

fwiw I agree with you. That's the one word I have tried to drill into my 12 year old nephew's (who I'm the parent of)head as being completely unacceptable and why it's so upsetting to me. But I'm also not triggered by it or anything and although I don't personally like the word I do trust that Phil is a genuinely good person regardless of it being used in a diss track.
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

alien wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:24 pm
watsonian wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:49 pm Edit to clarify no new exciting spoilers under the tag, sorry! just wanting to discuss a thing that made me head tilt~

fwiw I agree with you. That's the one word I have tried to drill into my 12 year old nephew's (who I'm the parent of)head as being completely unacceptable and why it's so upsetting to me. But I'm also not triggered by it or anything and although I don't personally like the word I do trust that Phil is a genuinely good person regardless of it being used in a diss track.
Where I'm from, it's genuinely not that offensive to call someone a bitch and it's not used in a specifically gendered way, but I can definitely see how it may offend people/how it may not have been the best choice of wording. Editing to add that the way he uses the word (in a confrontational kind of way, addressing the audience) may need some review/editing. I think they were probably thinking along the lines of making Phil say something a bit shocking (a grown-ass man swearing shouldn't be shocking, but that's a whole other can of worms).
alien
procrastinator

TheHomosexualAgenda wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Where I'm from, it's genuinely not that offensive to call someone a bitch and it's not used in a specifically gendered way, but I can definitely see how it may offend people/how it may not have been the best choice of wording. Editing to add that the way he uses the word (in a confrontational kind of way, addressing the audience) may need some review/editing. I think they were probably thinking along the lines of making Phil say something a bit shocking (a grown-ass man swearing shouldn't be shocking, but that's a whole other can of worms).
I get that and it definitely plays into why I'm more willing to accept it even if I really don't like it personally.

I also have to make an edit to my original post or else my anxiety will build...I should also state that racist and homophobic slurs etc are also words my kid knows not to use but bitch is just the one of 'normal cuss words' that I've tried to prevent him from ever starting to use.
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

The thing that strikes me is that Dan recently went on his private/unlisting spree partly because of the problematic language in some of his videos, but then they write a song with 'bitch' in it. I don't know. I just think it was a misstep.
liola
rankussy

topdanhowellmemes wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm

The thing that strikes me is that Dan recently went on his private/unlisting spree partly because of the problematic language in some of his videos, but then they write a song with 'bitch' in it. I don't know. I just think it was a misstep.
i think it's definitely cultural? I use bitch every single day, I call everyone bitch, hell I call myself bitch all the time, no matter the gender. It's also a common saying
Like how would you say "watch out bitch" with the same meaning without the actual word? Lads wouldn't have the same intensity and reaction. What should he say, m*therfuckers?

Idk I would NEVER let anyone use bitch as a slur but like this it doesn't even phase me besides omg Phil swearing out loud.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

alien wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:35 pm

I get that and it definitely plays into why I'm more willing to accept it even if I really don't like it personally.

I also have to make an edit to my original post or else my anxiety will build...I should also state that racist and homophobic slurs etc are also words my kid knows not to use but bitch is just the one of 'normal cuss words' that I've tried to prevent him from ever starting to use.
I totally get what you mean about the "normal" curse words. While I don't feel that strongly about the word bitch (I use it jokingly with friends and such, when I know people won't be offended), I feel complete disgust anytime I hear someone use the word knacker, which is a "regular" word in Ireland. People use it to describe "chavs" - can't stand that word either - but it's a slur for Irish travellers. I wouldn't be happy if they had a song with knacker in it, so I can see why people are disappointed in their use of the word bitch. (
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

liola wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:41 pm
topdanhowellmemes wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm

i think it's definitely cultural? I use bitch every single day, I call everyone bitch, hell I call myself bitch all the time, no matter the gender. It's also a common saying
Like how would you say "watch out bitch" with the same meaning without the actual word? Lads wouldn't have the same intensity and reaction. What should he say, m*therfuckers?

Idk I would NEVER let anyone use bitch as a slur but like this it doesn't even phase me besides omg Phil swearing out loud.
I'm British, so to me it's odd that that word was picked. But I'm also older than them, so it could be a generational thing (though I'm not THAT much older). It could just be down to gender and awareness of these things in general though. A year or so ago I probably wouldn't have cared, but in the last year or so I've been much more politically and socially aware (mainly due to the general suckage of all our governments) and I'm far more aware of this kind of thing as a result.

I do think there is a difference between saying things between friends and in a professional setting (even theirs) though. I wouldn't be mad or upset if my friend called me that because we have a relationship and know boundaries. Someone at work, or on the street or in a shop using it towards me would be different though.
Last edited by phantastically-avg on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

chiming in to add my two cents to the bitch discourse. personally don’t find it offensive at all and where i’m from in the us its very common to refer to your friends as bitch or ‘this bitch’ and things along those lines. even when used in a negative way if someone were to call me a bitch and mean it, it wouldn’t effect me much.

i find the cultural differences in words interesting since i know that in the uk ‘cunt’ is used pretty commonly but as an american i think that’s one of the worst things you can call someone and i’m appalled any time i hear it. if phil has used that i’d DEFINITELY and shocked and upset but bitch is just funny to me, especially coming from phil.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

It's such a struggle to watch these spoilers, because on the one hand I want to know everything, but on the other hand I get second-hand embarrassment so easily, especially with things like the rapping. I'm okay when it's just a video they film, but I think it's hearing the audience reaction that gets me (not that the audience are being particularly cringe-y or anything, but anyone with bad second-hand embarrassment with live events probably gets what I mean).

I love Dan's little song, at least what I heard from that clip. Give me a full show of him talking about his life before and after Phil! (but no really, it was a sweet little song. I also liked the reference to twats on youtube).

Re: bitch - I feel like we had this discussion on here so recently, but it might have actually been a long time ago (I seem to have no concept of time anymore). But anyways, I personally don't have a problem with them saying 'bitch'. I can see why others might, and you're entitled to your opinions obviously, but I don't personally see it as an issue. I think, like others have mentioned, it's a cultural thing - I hear people say 'bitch' all the time and usually not in a negative way, and hadn't really heard of it being a slur until the last time it was brought up on here. But yeah, I can see where people are coming from.

I'm curious to hear what the friendship test questions were, and also what was discussed during the 'real talk' part of the show.
TheHomosexualAgenda
delia smith

sugar wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:50 pm
chiming in to add my two cents to the bitch discourse. personally don’t find it offensive at all and where i’m from in the us its very common to refer to your friends as bitch or ‘this bitch’ and things along those lines. even when used in a negative way if someone were to call me a bitch and mean it, it wouldn’t effect me much.

i find the cultural differences in words interesting since i know that in the uk ‘cunt’ is used pretty commonly but as an american i think that’s one of the worst things you can call someone and i’m appalled any time i hear it. if phil has used that i’d DEFINITELY and shocked and upset but bitch is just funny to me, especially coming from phil.
From what I've seen from my (British) parents and friends, it can also depend regionally whether or not calling someone a cunt is seen as offensive. Attitudes about the word are drastically different in say, the Highlands vs Glasgow. I just feel bad for people who went to the show with parents who feel very strongly about swearing/feel strongly about swearing themselves, as there was just no warning?
rustysp00n
smol bean

Alll of this discourse!! I’m so excited and anxious seeing all of the spoilers and thoughts on the show.
First off, this is probably their last tour but as they said they really don’t think that far in advance so I doubt they are thinking of going out with a bang, don’t get too worked up about it i reckon. Lets just enjoy the cute bits we have now :P
diss track under the cut!

Phils full(?) diss track

Part 1: Part 2: Part 3: wow okay he sounded really tense and a bit off beat, not sure if that was intended but you knocked it outta the park philly :lol:
Last edited by rustysp00n on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

TheHomosexualAgenda wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:57 pm
sugar wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:50 pm

From what I've seen from my (British) parents and friends, it can also depend regionally whether or not calling someone a cunt is seen as offensive. Attitudes about the word are drastically different in say, the Highlands vs Glasgow. I just feel bad for people who went to the show with parents who feel very strongly about swearing/feel strongly about swearing themselves, as there was just no warning?
Cunt for sure isn't as big of a deal as it is in the US, but I'd still be surprised to hear it in general (and would say it's worse than bitch). Saying that the older man I used to share an office with used to say it fairly often when he was annoyed with people. - He was someone who didn't have filters though.

Oddly, for all I hate gendered slurs, Dan saying twat didn't even register with me. I guess it's because it's such a mild word, and even I use it. I should probably stop policing them, and start on myself!
yeetussy
glabella

Re: bitch discourse: Yeah it definitely must be a cultural thing because I’m also from the us and the word bitch has been devalued sO hard. Like I use it daily with my friends, no matter the gender. It’s gotten to the point when I see someone use it as an actual insult, or try and offend me by insulting me with it, I find it comedic almost because it means nothing to me :shrug:
Everyone is entitled to how they feel, I can understand how that is upsetting to some. But I’m pretty sure DipnDots meant it in a sort of shock-factor, “ohmigod phil swearing!!1!” sort of way. It wouldn’t have worked as well with literally any other swear in its place anyways
rustysp00n
smol bean

whatdoiknow wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:55 pm
It's such a struggle to watch these spoilers, because on the one hand I want to know everything, but on the other hand I get second-hand embarrassment so easily, especially with things like the rapping. I'm okay when it's just a video they film, but I think it's hearing the audience reaction that gets me (not that the audience are being particularly cringe-y or anything, but anyone with bad second-hand embarrassment with live events probably gets what I mean).
I completely second this. I don’t like going to concerts(?)/ seeing my favs because of the cheer especially after any mention of phan. oh well, it’s what the people want i suppose :( I think i would much rather them do a tour of what they really want, instead of fanservice they think we want, but thats just me :thumb:
autumnhearth
senpai

rustysp00n wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:02 pm Alll of this discourse!! I’m so excited and anxious seeing all of the spoilers and thoughts on the show.
First off, this is probably their last tour but as they said they really don’t think that far in advance so I doubt they are thinking of going out with a bang, don’t get too worked up about it i reckon. Lets just enjoy the cute bits we have now :P
diss track under the cut!

Phils full(?) diss track

Part 1: Part 2: Part 3: wow okay he sounded really tense and a bit off beat, not sure if that was intended but you knocked it outta the park philly :lol:
Oh my goodness thank you for posting these! They are missing the very beginning, but I’ve listened to several versions of that already.
The context is a bit uncomfortable. We’ve heard Dan call Phil bitch and I’m fine with that. As far as cunt we know Phil thinks (thought) that’s the worst word. Still questioning my choice to go with my son, but I can’t exactly tell him no now.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Now that I've heard was is basically Phil's entire diss track, I can't help but cringe. I mean I do like what he's saying, and I think if I had read it instead of hearing it, it would definitely have translated better in my head, but similarly to when Dan released his, the rapping makes me cringe big time (though I think Phil's makes me cringe more). And I totally get @whatdoiknow's struggle with second-hand embarrassment too, especially with the audience. I've done my fair share of yelling and screaming at events (though I think stage shows are a bit different than concerts, which are what I usually go to, when it comes to screaming), but hearing it in a video is a bit much for me.
I do really love Dan's little song though <3
apathy
sad dimple

yeetussy wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:07 pm Re: bitch discourse: Yeah it definitely must be a cultural thing because I’m also from the us and the word bitch has been devalued sO hard. Like I use it daily with my friends, no matter the gender. It’s gotten to the point when I see someone use it as an actual insult, or try and offend me by insulting me with it, I find it comedic almost because it means nothing to me :shrug:
Everyone is entitled to how they feel, I can understand how that is upsetting to some. But I’m pretty sure DipnDots meant it in a sort of shock-factor, “ohmigod phil swearing!!1!” sort of way. It wouldn’t have worked as well with literally any other swear in its place anyways
Since in their live show they said there wouldn't be swearing, either they were flat out lying or they don't consider it a swear word at all. Either way is a bit baffling.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.