Dan & Phil Part 71: ty ly bb

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I genuinely enjoyed this video, though I'm not even gonna argue with people that the gameplay was good because there really was no gameplay at all. I guess in my mind as soon as I saw that it was a spon video I just flipped off the switch that said "expect good gaming content" and was in the frame of mind that all I needed from the video was cuteness and banter, and they delivered on that. It was low effort but I'm honestly not sure what else they can do to make that interesting. If their options are "ignore the game and just kinda dick around making fun of dragons but be funny" or "actually play this app as though we seriously like it" I'll take the more honest approach. I don't want effort if the effort is them pretending this is a game they really play.

I am assuming this means DragonCity is sponsoring the US leg again? Which means we'll probably see at least one more dragonspon in the next two months or so.
Also, can I say - it finally feels like Dan and Phil are really on tour, with people piling massive expectations onto every game because we only get them every 7-9 days and inevitably being disappointed. No shade, I fully understand that if you watch them because you like them playing games this would have totally been the worst kind of video and it sucks that we likely won't have another for at least a week. But reading IDB's reactions to this new video just gave me a whole flood of deja vu from summer of 2016!
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

capitalism ruined danandphilgames, the channel will fall after the revolution
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yeah I'm tired of furries and scalies too. I don't care if that's what they're actually into, the banter has becomes stale and tiring. Can Dan get a new kink that can mention every time nobody asks please?

As expected of Dragon Shitty, the whole thing was pretty boring. It had a few moments (which indeed made it Not The Worst), but not enough to pull this video out of garbage pile imo.

and dan's nails really squeak me the fuck out now
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:57 pm
Also, can I say - it finally feels like Dan and Phil are really on tour, with people piling massive expectations onto every game because we only get them every 7-9 days and inevitably being disappointed. No shade, I fully understand that if you watch them because you like them playing games this would have totally been the worst kind of video and it sucks that we likely won't have another for at least a week. But reading IDB's reactions to this new video just gave me a whole flood of deja vu from summer of 2016!
I honestly don't mind the games they play. I'm a gamer myself, but I know their channel is more about the #bants than actual gaming. I really didn't like their previous Dragon City vids though because it was obvious they were trying too hard to make it the least bit interesting.

This one was better, but still not a favorite of mine. They're cute and pleasant to look at.
so_cheesy
butt chair

alittledizzy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:57 pm
Massive expectations? Nah, this video was shitty in its own right.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i hate that app, i hate absolutely everything about those kind of games. dragon city can throw itself into a fire.
aside from my absolute hatred for those games, i enjoyed the bants.
cute moment was phil telling dan that his "attack" would be the hair flip from the unicorn dragon thing.
the drawing bit at the end was out of place and was a half-assed addition to the vid cause they HAD to know we don't like these spons, so they wanted to keep us captivated for something.
dan's drawing actually looked like an 11 year old put effort into his OC.
(what i mean is, it looks like drawings i used to do on Microsoft paint on my family computer)
i basically watched the vid by only listening and looking away from the "gameplay".
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I didn't really hate the video all that much? They seemed to be having fun and really leaning on their personalities and banter to cover up for the spon and I think that's fine. I got a chuckle or 2 out of the whole thing.

I did want to touch on "...we're going on this whole tour, I'm trying to live my truth..." which I guess is what Dan was referencing when he mentioned 2018 being a big year personally and professionally. But like... what truth, Dan? What is the truth you're living? Because all we got out of that initial video is that you like food and sex. But that ain't a revelation tbh.

I understand that he's probably, maybe, kind of, hopefully going to open up about something this year, but he hasn't yet. So just "trying to live my truth" ain't really feeling like a big change.

My point to all that isn't to criticize Dan, but to get excited. 'Cause he's clearly ramping up for something. And June approacheth.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

as far as bants and flirtiness, i enjoyed the video. i'm one of the people who wish they'd play more story-based games or things with more actual gameplay, but i ultimately watch dapg because i like watching dan and phil interact. so, for me, it wasn't that bad.

something interesting though, maybe i haven't been in the phandom long enough to see it happen but i haven't really ever seen anyone get mad about deppy doing sponsored videos. it's interesting since prior to watching deppy i only ever watched (and still only watch besides them) beauty channels. people are always getting mad when they do spons and they have to defend it on their channels all the time. it's even more interesting that we know that dan and phil don't actually play the games they do spons for but beauty youtubers have to defend constantly that the products they're promoting are things they actually like. i know there are differences, like cosmetics are generally much more costly than the flash games they spon but it's just interesting that they never get backlash for doing sponsored videos for things they probably only ever use for the videos. :shrug:

dan's nails...jesus. really hoping that he's getting ready to either paint or clip them. otherwise they're just too long.

also side eyeing that 'personally and professionally' thing. seems especially open for them, even if they're not saying what's been big in their personal life, because it leads to speculation. i like to think he's alluding to the fact that they're consistently being more and more open though. which i fully support!
Speedygonz33
squish

Aw I just realized at 8:24 they did that inside joke noise thing lol
animad
squish

It kinda annoys that they find it impossible to say the word vagina, they had a literal block and reverted to 'lady door' yet they can say the word penis like nobodys business. Dan's already said that twice today and didn't even bat an eyelid.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sugar wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm as far as bants and flirtiness, i enjoyed the video. i'm one of the people who wish they'd play more story-based games or things with more actual gameplay, but i ultimately watch dapg because i like watching dan and phil interact. so, for me, it wasn't that bad.

something interesting though, maybe i haven't been in the phandom long enough to see it happen but i haven't really ever seen anyone get mad about deppy doing sponsored videos. it's interesting since prior to watching deppy i only ever watched (and still only watch besides them) beauty channels. people are always getting mad when they do spons and they have to defend it on their channels all the time. it's even more interesting that we know that dan and phil don't actually play the games they do spons for but beauty youtubers have to defend constantly that the products they're promoting are things they actually like. i know there are differences, like cosmetics are generally much more costly than the flash games they spon but it's just interesting that they never get backlash for doing sponsored videos for things they probably only ever use for the videos. :shrug:

dan's nails...jesus. really hoping that he's getting ready to either paint or clip them. otherwise they're just too long.

also side eyeing that 'personally and professionally' thing. seems especially open for them, even if they're not saying what's been big in their personal life, because it leads to speculation. i like to think he's alluding to the fact that they're consistently being more and more open though. which i fully support!
Oh, man. Stick around, friend. This reaction of instant dismay bordering on anger when Dan and Phil do a spon game is very, very common. And it'll definitely get more intense the more rare gaming videos are. I think it's less that they feel like Dan and Phil are lying to them though, and more like people just resent that a sponsored video is displacing "real" content.
sugar
eclipse shirt

animad wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:35 pm It kinda annoys that they find it impossible to say the word vagina, they had a literal block and reverted to 'lady door' yet they can say the word penis like nobodys business. Dan's already said that twice today and didn't even bat an eyelid.
i've seen a lot of people commenting on this and...it doesn't really bother me.
i think about myself, as someone who doesn't have a penis, and like...i'm not very likely to just say penis in conversation with like my parents or my grandparents. and i'm not sure WHY that is because it's not inherently sexual, it serves an everyday purpose, but it's just something that's stuck with me since i was young.

example: i was on a walk with my dad when phil posted his story earlier and as soon as dan said penis i felt instant embarrassment because my dad was there.

and i think they realize they're both grown men and that their audience is largely young females (or the vocal part of their audience, at least, the ones they see at meet & greets) and it just feels....weird or wrong to be talking about vaginas. i'm nt saying this is true or that it's a good reason, it's just what seems likely to me. and i think i might do the same if i was in their shoes. i think it's just a combination of things of them being awkward, not knowing how to properly address that stuff, and also likely not being intimate with anyone who has a vagina in a very long time. i'm not going to get mad at them for that. :shrug:

edit: @alittledizzy you're right, i think it's just a different kind of bad reaction than i'm used to which is why i wasn't picking up on it as much. i certainly see a lot of people unhappy with today's video but i guess i thought it was more about the content of the video rather than just the fact that it was a spon. would people be as angry if it was a spon with better gameplay?
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

The pic D&P used in today's vid to link the tour...

Have we seen this before?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sugar wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:49 pm
animad wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:35 pm It kinda annoys that they find it impossible to say the word vagina, they had a literal block and reverted to 'lady door' yet they can say the word penis like nobodys business. Dan's already said that twice today and didn't even bat an eyelid.
i think about myself, as someone who doesn't have a penis, and like...i'm not very likely to just say penis in conversation with like my parents or my grandparents. and i'm not sure WHY that is because it's not inherently sexual, it serves an everyday purpose, but it's just something that's stuck with me since i was young.

example: i was on a walk with my dad when phil posted his story earlier and as soon as dan said penis i felt instant embarrassment because my dad was there.

and i think they realize they're both grown men and that their audience is largely young females (or the vocal part of their audience, at least, the ones they see at meet & greets) and it just feels....weird or wrong to be talking about vaginas. i'm nt saying this is true or that it's a good reason, it's just what seems likely to me. and i think i might do the same if i was in their shoes. i think it's just a combination of things of them being awkward, not knowing how to properly address that stuff, and also likely not being intimate with anyone who has a vagina in a very long time. i'm not going to get mad at them for that. :shrug:

edit: @alittledizzy you're right, i think it's just a different kind of bad reaction than i'm used to which is why i wasn't picking up on it as much. i certainly see a lot of people unhappy with today's video but i guess i thought it was more about the content of the video rather than just the fact that it was a spon. would people be as angry if it was a spon with better gameplay?
The thing that people are frustrated by is a societal view that somehow vagina is more uncomfortable thing to talk about and should be avoided in polite conversation... but penis is fine. That kind of mentality when it bleeds into things like education and healthcare is why people with vaginas go through through entire lives sometimes not knowing how their body works, because they've been taught that they should be ashamed to even say the word much less ask questions or learn about it. And yeah, it's not Dan and Phil's job to teach biology - no one is saying that - but the example they're setting just feeds into the system that hurts (literally, medically hurts) a whole lot of people who have vaginas. It would be great if they'd try and set the opposite example, that there's nothing bad or inherently more sexualized about accurately naming one part of the human body when they'll accurately name another biologically equivalent one.
so_cheesy
butt chair

I don't think it's the sponsorship itself that annoys a lot of people, DnP have made a lot of sponsored vids before that were at least mildly entertaining. It's rather the cringy overused phandom inside "jokes" that fill up all the video, like LOL at Dan's dead eyes right in th beginning as he preaches about scalies' representation or whatever, I can't believe this shit. You can bant better. Why is lady door still a thing... Ffs
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

rizzo wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:53 pm The pic D&P used in today's vid to link the tour...

Have we seen this before?
We haven't afaik, and I'm mad about it. How dare they not bless us with that in full glory??
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

@animad @sugar @alittledizzy i thought it was going to be a long quote and i never know when to spoiler a long post i've generally thought it's more about people in general being more comfortable talking about their own genetalia than someone else's both in like basic factual scientific terms and in joking terms? people know what to say and where the line is and what's comfortable or not when it's about themselves and that's probably still kind of there when it's about like... video game dragons
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
human
dan hand trash

alittledizzy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:58 pm

The thing that people are frustrated by is a societal view that somehow vagina is more uncomfortable thing to talk about and should be avoided in polite conversation... but penis is fine. That kind of mentality when it bleeds into things like education and healthcare is why people with vaginas go through through entire lives sometimes not knowing how their body works, because they've been taught that they should be ashamed to even say the word much less ask questions or learn about it. And yeah, it's not Dan and Phil's job to teach biology - no one is saying that - but the example they're setting just feeds into the system that hurts (literally, medically hurts) a whole lot of people who have vaginas. It would be great if they'd try and set the opposite example, that there's nothing bad or inherently more sexualized about accurately naming one part of the human body when they'll accurately name another biologically equivalent one.
I see it less a them having an issue with it, but more that their audience are mostly young females and they don't want to assume it's ok to talk about their bits the same way they can a penis, since they both have one and aren't just assuming the right to mention it. I don't think it's weird at all, infact I'm kinda glad they don't go on about vaginas - they're grown men.

I am really over the whole scaly/furry thing tbh and didn't want this video at all, however it is pretty good. I've actually always enjoyed the Dragon City videos and they do put a lot more thought and effort into #spons than a majority of other YouTubers.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

human wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:12 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:58 pm

I see it less a them having an issue with it, but more that their audience are mostly young females and they don't want to assume it's ok to talk about their bits the same way they can a penis, since they both have one and aren't just assuming the right to mention it. I don't think it's weird at all, infact I'm kinda glad they don't go on about vaginas - they're grown men.

I am really over the whole scaly/furry thing tbh and didn't want this video at all, however it is pretty good. I've actually always enjoyed the Dragon City videos and they do put a lot more thought and effort into #spons than a majority of other YouTubers.
I definitely agree that if they were sexualizing things I'd prefer them not to, and I understand the "young audience" defense for that - but if what they're talking about isn't sexual and they're just likening a physical similarity then I don't see why vagina is not okay to say and penis is.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

honestly, hearing variations of "vagina" is more uncomfortable to hear than actually saying "vagina" (in a serious context)

also i feel absolutely ROBBED of that tour pic at the end screen
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
sugar
eclipse shirt

@alittledizzy: completely agree that in society as a whole, it's a problem. i just don't think it's quite that complex in their situation. @jaej and @human both said what i was about to, in this context i think it's more just them being nerdy guys more comfortable talking about the parts that they have than the ones they don't. and them, as adult men, not really knowing where the line is when their core audience are the opposite.
dancy
procrastinator

I usually don't mind their sponsored videos and often quite enjoy them but they can come across as somewhat forced and ingenuine sometimes and this game in particular just makes me wanna roll my eyes.
000dia000 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 pm Jesus, that video was a new low. I cant believe I'm saying this but bring back flash games. Also, can they stop using furries or scalies for click bait or shock value or whatever they're going for. I'm so fucking bored by it. Why has this become the new running joke like llamas and placentas? Dan saying "this was a mistake" to every time they shoehorn in whatever makes me want to throw my phone against the wall.

Actually have some originality and make some genuine commentary instead of relying on old jokes. They really need to play a game that requires them to be mentally stimulated rather than half-assed with their commentary.
so_cheesy wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:58 pm I don't think it's the sponsorship itself that annoys a lot of people, DnP have made a lot of sponsored vids before that were at least mildly entertaining. It's rather the cringy overused phandom inside "jokes" that fill up all the video, like LOL at Dan's dead eyes right in th beginning as he preaches about scalies' representation or whatever, I can't believe this shit. You can bant better. Why is lady door still a thing... Ffs
I agree with these comments. When the game itself is so boring and non-thought-provoking, they have to resort to making old jokes that I don't find all that amusing anymore. I know some people don't really enjoy it when they play games like Google Feud, Guess The Wikihow or Would You Press The Button but at least that kind of stuff does lead to them actually discussing their options and generally more original commentary than this.
liola
rankussy

I think it's pretty obvious why they don't it, a big part of their audience is made of teen (cis)girls and they might feel uncomfortable and trying to avoid anything that comes across even remotely creepy/predatory
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

honestly, didnt think it was that bad but then i guess i just went into it knowing i shouldnt get my expectations up. ive played those games before and they can get so boringly repetitive that i just uninstall it right after i get to that point. in the first place, its a spon video so its obviously going to look forced especially when theyve already pumped out the same thing before. you cant blame them, they wanna get paid too.

i personally just ignored the gameplay and focused on their overall casual mood so enjoyed it a little bit. im a sucker for flirty teasing and them giving us little snippets of their personal life. as much as id love for them to play more serious games or do a much better quality video, were already getting spoiled a lot by them (giving the people what the want). so when they do put out a low quality video/halfhearted video, and a spon no less, i dont really mind.
"you are next to me in my life"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:22 pm
I think it's pretty obvious why they don't it, a big part of their audience is made of teen (cis)girls and they might feel uncomfortable and trying to avoid anything that comes across even remotely creepy/predatory
I think that's exactly my issue with it, tbh. And this isn't Dan and Phil specific - I understand on a small scale why they don't. But it bothers me personally that jokes about penises are fine (by guys, by girls, by people of any age) but jokes about vaginas (again, by anyone) are immediately described as "uncomfortable" whether they're sexualized or not. Looking at something that looks like a vagina and saying "that looks like a vagina" isn't saying you want to fuck it, it's just saying... it looks like a vagina. Sending the impression to young girls that even uttering the word "vagina" means something sexual and shouldn't be done - that's what I hate. It's a crappy, double-standard laden message to send. And if it really were about young, impressionable audience not being exposed to sexual things, they wouldn't describe every other thing they see as phallic. (And Dan's channel basically wouldn't exist.)

But I definitely know from having had this conversation many times that the majority of fandom doesn't agree and sees nothing wrong with their aversion to the word or outright applauds it, so this is me saying my opinion once and then I'll leave it. :) It's a hill I'll climb like, halfway up and get tired of, not one I'll die on. I'm gonna go to mentally over-analyzing why exactly it's been a big year for them personally...