Dan & Phil Part 71: ty ly bb

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

idk wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm honestly did not at all expect AmazingPhil Lester to be open and honest about his insecurities and thoughts and feelings about himself and his channel and his viewers on AmazingPhil but here we are

first and foremost, bless this hair cut and the quiffening and bless his blossoming confidence as a result. it has been bleeding out of his pores since it happened and i am so here for it and so grateful for it

him talking about AmazingPhil as a Limiting Figure in his head that constrained and limited him (to whatever extent it did) in what he did/does and what he looks like and through that very minutely differentiating between him and AmazingPhil, mentioning his hair as a security blanket, talking about wanting to keep what he saw as his only/main distinguishing feature that defined him in essence, yes, thank you, thank you a lot

saying the hair cut has made a huge difference to and for him, his resounding confidence in addition to indirectly saying it was ‘a little boost in happiness that [he] didn’t know [he] needed’. man, phil lester in 2018

also, the mention of dan being an important part of the process, being an important part of his decision making, the back and forth… yes i love it

after vids like ‘drawing my viewers challenge’ it really does feel like, at least to me, a dose of sincerity that his channel ~needed or at least something that i was hoping & didn’t know i was looking for

and, yeah, ultimately it was a 6 minute video about his hair, of which 30 seconds of it was about hotels and their amenities but it honestly feels like a Step Forward for him. i would argue that this type of video isn’t just a small and easy to film and throw up on his channel video for him but is rather a careful and small showing of vulnerability from him and i very sincerely and genuinely hope he continues on this path

just going to wait for the day he quietly drops the Amazing
Strongly seconding all of this. (And seeing if I can get it back to showing most recent post, since we're having some strange glitches at the moment.)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

That was so good wtf I'm crying. :happytears:

It was good and funny, but more importantly it was possibly the most... human(?) video he has made in years. He got real there and I can't be happier about it. I hope that with his newfound confidence he gets to open up a little more often from now on. Phil bb, I love you. I'm also now gonna write sarcastic commentary about you. :love2:

- We start with a #SPON. That's right Lester, sex sells and the exposed skin of your forehead really does it for a good chunk of phannies. :ribena:
- A sex joke about the hotel neigbour. Oh 2018.
- Phil is definitely one of THOSE people on Yelp and Tripadvisor. I need more hotel reviews in the Instastories tbh.
- Yeah, Edith. Fuck you. No one asked.
- Phil's thirst for Thor/Chris Hemsworth is so strong it transcends time. :drool:
- Kids are such mean little fucks.
- I don't even hate that hairstyle? It just looks super dated, like the posters that my hairdresser put up in her salon 20+ years ago and were just hanging there until her retirement two weeks ago. A look indeed.
- "COME HERE LADDIE IT's TIME TO GET SNIPPED." I hope the 'exercising' hotel neighbour didn't hear him because out of context that sounds like a very weird type of roleplay.
- Phil's family and friends really first let him keep that long hair, and then an emo haircut until 2018. What did he do to deserve that??
- Tsk tsk Philly. That's the hairstyle that got you a man! You can't say your regret it now, that's an insult to Dan's taste :lol:
- Phil. Sweetie. No. It hadn't been fine since approximately late 2013. #FuckFabrice
- "I experimented with shaved sides for a bit." Yeah, and I still need to send you the bill from my psychologist for that one...
- So Phil's haircut was basically his 'danisnotonfire' huh? But less dramatic. Cool.
- I can assure you I enjoyed your content despite the hair, not because of it. :thumb:
- "Probably should've done it before we had all the tour photoshoots." Ya think?
- Phil still using that firework effect as if he hasn't squeezed every last penny out of it at this point.
- Actual footage of me while Phil talks about how he's more confident because of his new haircut and how he wants to inspire others to make a change too:
- And we end with another #SPON, this time Capita£ester uses our now fragile emotions to sell us tickets. We stan a genius.

I kinda wanna know Dan's thoughts on seeing Phil finally make the choice for himself and blossom into this confident man as a result. I bet he's so proud and I'm so emotional at even the thought of it.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
liola
rankussy

Reporting the twitter spoiler tag rumour mill once again, as always take with a pinch of salt!
Multiple reports on twitter about Phil accidentally saying "our bedroom". Not sure about the context yet or if it's confirmed, guess we'll wait for audio
Yes i'm bored fite me
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

just watched phils video during my break and i feel like a proud mama. everyone already took all the words from my mouth, but yeah i just lovr love LOVE how he seems much happier and confident now.
"you are next to me in my life"
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

this was a good phil video! i liked the new fresh take on it. i liked how he was open with his feelings. it was refreshing.
:transheart:
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

Short, sweet, and sincere- this was a good video all around. Seeing all the hairstyles was such a weird nostalgia trip (except for the really long hair- god, that was a mess). Plus, getting in that good tour spon- Capita£ester is here to stay, even if the hair is different.

I relate completely with how drastic he felt his hair change would be, and how nervous he was. A bit before he did, I changed my hair too- I stop straightening the life out of it basically. I swear, the first day I went out with my curly hair I was freaking out so badly; I just put it in a tight bun and prayed no one would notice. For me, my hair was always a security blanket, and for someone who hates being noticed or change, I really was worried people would like me less or judge me. So I can see how Phil would especially feel this way, as his hair became such a huge part of how he was viewed and sacrosanct to his persona.

It's not just the hair- Phil comes across as so much more open and honest, and I love him all the more for it. He really is so much more funny, confident, and attractive these days- and it's largely because he doesn't have to hide behind a false persona anymore. I'm so happy for him and this video was very nice to see, it was basically the culmination of all the little changes in Phil being recognized.
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I really like that Phil's feeling confident to be a bit more open and show his insecurities and feelings on the AP channel. I feel like we got a teeny taste of that with his video where he read the letter he'd written to his future self, and I'm so happy he's going even more in that direction. He seems so happy and confident lately, and I love it so much.

This whole hair thing has made me think about how the 'emo hair' jokes back when dan did that 'stop emo shaming' video with anthony affected him. I remember there being jokes about Phil being the last one with emo hair in the video, and also jokes about it in liveshows/videos afterwards I think. I wonder if Phil was already really thinking about changing his hair then, or if that maybe was a bit of a push towards it too. When was that video? Sometime last year, right?
Speedygonz33
squish

liola wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm Reporting the twitter spoiler tag rumour mill once again, as always take with a pinch of salt!
Multiple reports on twitter about Phil accidentally saying "our bedroom". Not sure about the context yet or if it's confirmed, guess we'll wait for audio
Yes i'm bored fite me
Looked through twitter and Tumblr and still haven’t found the context to this so I doubt it’s true just demons fantasizing
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

I agree with everything that's been said so sorry if I repeat a lot of stuff but god, i loved this video :love2: seeing phil slowly come out of his amazingphil shell makes me quite emotional. i love hearing his personal thoughts and opinions, i love hearing him talk about his own insecurities and admitting that a haircut may be a small thing but that it impacted him a lot, and him talking about his own happiness. i have so much love for phil lester and every new bit he lets us see makes me happier and crave more!!
this video (+ last ones with dan and the gaming vids),his ig stories and everything else that reflects is general growth in openess and self confidence have been great to witness :love2:

(and I feel him a lot. I've had very very long hair for all my life and recently cut it extra short for the first time ever, and it feels so liberating to let go of that thing people associate you with and releasing you are under no obligation to keep it that way)
Speedygonz33
squish

Omg Dan’s story lmao
knq
lava lamp

Mark The Photographer used the same filter and music of someone on a boat. I don’t get the reference. But I laughed anyway.
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

Speedygonz33 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:56 pm
liola wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm Reporting the twitter spoiler tag rumour mill once again, as always take with a pinch of salt!
Yes i'm bored fite me
Looked through twitter and Tumblr and still haven’t found the context to this so I doubt it’s true just demons fantasizing
I'm dubious about it too. Hopefully we'll have audio from the show to clear it up.

I don't think this needs comment:
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

topdanhowellmemes wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:02 pm I don't think this needs comment:
lol that small little "sorry?" in the corner- don't be? I watched that clip loop a dozen times, mesmerized- I honestly just don't know how I feel about it.
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

What the heck is that ig story? :roll: gotta love a good dab.

+1 from me to everything everyone’s already said about Phil’s video. I loved it, hair-history, and actual thoughts and feelings of Phil. I love his really long old hair, somewhere I’ve seen a better photo and it was such a mane, flicked out a little at the ends. The birds’ nest hair was a gem too, it was fluffy and carefree. It went so flat the last few years. I was a bit surprised he didn’t mention his Weakest-Link-era hair when it was long and still brown. I wonder if anything made him decide to start dyeing it. His hotel room review was funny too especially the bath taps. Maybe they have combined taps at home.
susan2
rainbow nerd

hello9217 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:38 pm Apparently the Lester family, at least Kath and Aunt Roz, are at the Manchester show right now.
aww that explains why they seemed more nervous tonight.
they ad libbed quite a few times and snuck in a few extra jokes, dan was generally being very talkative and flubbed his words at least once, and phil messed up a couple of times on the sequencing bless him. but it wasn't anything major at all, and it was nice to see them help each other, laugh, and work out of it. it's gonna happen on a tour this long.
topdanhowellmemes wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:02 pm
Speedygonz33 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:56 pm
Yes i'm bored fite me
I'm dubious about it too. Hopefully we'll have audio from the show to clear it up.
I was there, and I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.
(if anybody knows which part of the show that apparently happened in(?) I can check back the audio if you like)
Also, to clear up that other thing (some) people are mis-quoting / taking out of context from tonight -

Question - What form of torture would make Dan confess everything?
Answer - Phil leaving him alone for an hour
[Dan] - "are you kidding me, that's not what would make me confess everything that's what I dream about at night, release me"
[Phil] "but I did have to teach you how to use a bottle opener earlier so I think you need someone nearby"
[Dan] "ok wow well I have to teach you to just frickin' turn a tap on over a cactus"
[Dan] "so i guess we both need each other"
knq
lava lamp

We are now getting outtakes of IG stories on IG stories and I'm here for it.
autumnhearth
senpai

What a dork. Loved his vid. <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm only just into the audio but I'm pretty sure Dan did not call the two II lights on stage phallic like he normally does... really seems like he was on best behavior for the in-laws!
lesterchuu
philussy

alittledizzy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:44 am
I'm only just into the audio but I'm pretty sure Dan did not call the two II lights on stage phallic like he normally does... really seems like he was on best behavior for the in-laws!
lmao good job there howell, gotta hve a good impression to the lesters....but it does make me wonder,
ill make this one spoiler-free, i think it should be fine? all these talk about their family members coming to their shows makes me think things. im just wondering -if deppy really ARE dating (i mean, is this even a question now in 2018) - how much does their family know? and when did they tell?

im just looking back at their past years and how they talked about stuff, like obviously it was never mentioned by them so we could never really know. but what if they were still closeted to their families like circa 2010~2012? it would make sense considering how stressed they were back then. and what if only certain family members knew? what if none knew at all? theres so many factors. im not really wanting to dive deeper nor do i want these questions answered, i just think its an interesting perspective to think about in terms of their journey to feeling more comfortable with their own selves and their mental health in general throughout the years. it makes me sympathize more towards them. im sure theyve struggled with their own set of problems behind the scenes, that we, as fans, dont really get to see.

all in all, im just happy for them right now.
hello9217
flower crown

ame wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 am
lmao good job there howell, gotta hve a good impression to the lesters....but it does make me wonder,
ill make this one spoiler-free, i think it should be fine? all these talk about their family members coming to their shows makes me think things. im just wondering -if deppy really ARE dating (i mean, is this even a question now in 2018) - how much does their family know? and when did they tell?

im just looking back at their past years and how they talked about stuff, like obviously it was never mentioned by them so we could never really know. but what if they were still closeted to their families like circa 2010~2012? it would make sense considering how stressed they were back then. and what if only certain family members knew? what if none knew at all? theres so many factors. im not really wanting to dive deeper nor do i want these questions answered, i just think its an interesting perspective to think about in terms of their journey to feeling more comfortable with their own selves and their mental health in general throughout the years. it makes me sympathize more towards them. im sure theyve struggled with their own set of problems behind the scenes, that we, as fans, dont really get to see.

I always thought Phil's family always knew, or at least knew since it became serious, because let's face it Phil is a mama's boy. I feel like he tells his mom everything. I think Dan's parents were maybe told later. This isn't because I have some preconceived notions about dan and his family that the phandom love to speculate about but it's mainly because of tweets from around 2009 that made it seem like dan's parents didn't like him traveling to visit Phil. But dan mentioned in a liveshow that back in 2011, Phil came down to Wockingham with him for his mom's birthday so I feel they had to be out by then. Like it's kind of hard to explain how a platonic friend will travel all the way from Manchester with you to celebrate the other friends' moms bday.
ETA that when I say family I'm only talking about their parents, siblings, and maybe dan's grandma since they are really close. Phil has a ridiculously large family, based on what he has said, so I really doubt that they were out to everyone.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

hello9217 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 am

I always thought Phil's family always knew, or at least knew since it became serious, because let's face it Phil is a mama's boy. I feel like he tells his mom everything. I think Dan's parents were maybe told later. This isn't because I have some preconceived notions about dan and his family that the phandom love to speculate about but it's mainly because of tweets from around 2009 that made it seem like dan's parents didn't like him traveling to visit Phil. But dan mentioned in a liveshow that back in 2011, Phil came down to Wockingham with him for his mom's birthday so I feel they had to be out by then. Like it's kind of hard to explain how a platonic friend will travel all the way from Manchester with you to celebrate the other friends' moms bday.
ETA that when I say family I'm only talking about their parents, siblings, and maybe dan's grandma since they are really close. Phil has a ridiculously large family, based on what he has said, so I really doubt that they were out to everyone.
Based on Cornelia's 2011 tweet to them about getting married in Vegas, I think it's safe to say at least on Phil's side his sibling definitely knew.

But I'm also inclined to think that families were aware of what was going on, either from being explicitly told or just... that thing where when you stop hiding something people Know without a conversation being needed.
lesterchuu
philussy

@hello9217 i dont remember that liveshow but it does make sense. its a family celebration, and thats basically saying phil is part of the family. dan doesnt really like talking about his family much after THE INCIDENT, and i respect that honestly. i would do the same if i was in his shoes.

also, phil does seem much closer to his mom and i wouldnt be surprised if she was one of the first ones who knew. i was watching back the meet my mum video, when he asked if she likes dan's videos, his tone was deeper in a "phil lester" kinda way and not as "amazingphil", and there were so many quick jumpcuts in that part too which makes me think she said more things about him that phil just edited away.

(sidenote: she talked about the "bonnet" story, and if i recall in phils old home videos, there was a clip where he was wearing one. i just find it nice that she ended up getting him one afterall...)

@alittledizzy i wouldnt doubt it. some people are just really perceptive, and i mean....the lester family has some psychic background in their bloodline
Last edited by lesterchuu on Wed May 16, 2018 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

alittledizzy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 am

Based on Cornelia's 2011 tweet to them about getting married in Vegas, I think it's safe to say at least on Phil's side his sibling definitely knew.

But I'm also inclined to think that families were aware of what was going on, either from being explicitly told or just... that thing where when you stop hiding something people Know without a conversation being needed.
I've seen said tweet once before, but i forget what the context was, does anyone mind linking it please?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
hello9217
flower crown

ratlad wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:06 am
alittledizzy wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 am

I've seen said tweet once before, but i forget what the context was, does anyone mind linking it please?
And here's the liveshow if anyone was curious
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Not a lot to say about Phil’s new vid that hasn’t been covered already. It made me sad that he was so afraid to change his hair because of what his audience might think and his branding. When in reality, I think the majority of us really love this new quiffed, less persona-heavy version of Phil. I was surprised to see that there were actually several comments on the video saying they still missed his old fringe and they’ll have to get used to the new hair.
hello9217 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 am I always thought Phil's family always knew, or at least knew since it became serious, because let's face it Phil is a mama's boy. I feel like he tells his mom everything. I think Dan's parents were maybe told later. This isn't because I have some preconceived notions about dan and his family that the phandom love to speculate about but it's mainly because of tweets from around 2009 that made it seem like dan's parents didn't like him traveling to visit Phil. But dan mentioned in a liveshow that back in 2011, Phil came down to Wockingham with him for his mom's birthday so I feel they had to be out by then. Like it's kind of hard to explain how a platonic friend will travel all the way from Manchester with you to celebrate the other friends' moms bday.
I hate to be that girl, but it really bothers me when people say things like this about dnp that “platonic friends don’t do *instert thing here*”. Especially when it comes to being close with each other’s families and travelling to visit them for holidays and birthdays. I know it’s something my best friend and I do, and I really don’t think it’s all that uncommon. I’m not trying to use this as an anti argument, tbh I’m not fully convinced either way — I just don’t think it’s fair to say that anything is something platonic friends don’t do besides being in actual romantic love or having sex (although the sex thing is arguable for some people out there but that’s a whole different conversation).
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue: