Dan & Phil Part 2: lol bye gg

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Sorry but I love that video so much, I'm in love. And I like all the youtubers in it.
(I don't think they're saying "Dan and Phil" though)
About JacksFilms...he's one of my favorite youtubers. I love his content, I think he's funny, even if bitter. It's very very interesting to listen to him of Shane's podcast (they talk about how they aren't getting paid as much as they used to and etc). I do think he's a little bitter about not getting as much recognition as people like Alfie, or even D&P, but I get it. I get his POV, and even agree with some points.
I just....really love the video :lol:

BUT LET'S GET BACK ON TOPIC

jk

nice aprils fools joke staff lmao thanks for reminding me of that amazing video and the stupid jokes the phandom still makes uuuuuuggghhhh
the candlelight by the crescent moon
aosagi
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her

felucca wrote:
phamnotof wrote:umm go to 3:02 of the youtube culture video & i'm pretty sure someone actually coughs "dan and phil!"
or am i going crazy?
Hahaaa it does sound like it. :?
It doesn't sound like dan and phil to me, more like "i'm dying" (with the "i'm" kind of swallowed?)
angrymob
hobbit hair

Oh wow, apparently I wasn't even first on the duvet talk. Maybe we are all slowly becoming a hivemind. :platonic: << lol at the coding for this emoticon. (~platonic~)
akui wrote:I think it's perfectly normal for two bff to share a double bed when travelling, but it's not normal for two bbf to share a double bed when travelling and GO LENGTH TO HIDE IT.
Seriously, even not so close friends have their personal boundaries blurred during travel in close quarters. I'm interested to see how much they really do think about their interactions on camera and comparing them with every band tour dvd I've ever seen.

I feel this same way about the superwomen vlog. If she had have actually taken the time to edit them out, it would have been so suspicious. Esepecially since she doesn't seem to be in a close enough social circle with them to care about a blurry few seconds of them in the background of one of her vlogs.
swofro wrote:I don't want DINOF to rebrand to Dan Howell :wahh: :wahh: my feelingss :sobs:
Am I the only one that thinks rebranding while still on youtube in not a great idea? danisnotonfire is not a bad brand at all. I've actually had mediamarketing professors comment on it before shut up, I wrote a lot about youtube for my media classes, saying that it was clever (because it's unusal/memorable but still conatins his name). Maybe, if he were to leave youtube, a rebranding would be apt, but you can change your brand without having to change your main identifier like, for example, creating more quality content *cough*.
akui wrote:
leisurely wrote:
If they do end up coming to Australia, do you think they'll go to all the capital cities or just Sydney and Melbourne?
tyler oakley and superwoman went to Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne last year so I guess that's where d&p will go too?
I have absolutely no idea, i think it totally depends on how many ticket they predict they can sold, but australia is like their fourth place where they are most popular (i'm sorry the grammar is horrible), at least for phil, according to tabinof. So if canada went well, i'm pretty optimistic that they will go to all big cities. And New Zealand as well.
Except, if they use the same model they are for Canada, they'll probably only go to one city in Australia (cause, you know, the rest of you can fly 2-5 hours to see them, haha.)

:sideeye:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

angrymob wrote:Am I the only one that thinks rebranding while still on youtube in not a great idea? danisnotonfire is not a bad brand at all. I've actually had mediamarketing professors comment on it before shut up, I wrote a lot about youtube for my media classes, saying that it was clever (because it's unusal/memorable but still conatins his name). Maybe, if he were to leave youtube, a rebranding would be apt, but you can change your brand without having to change your main identifier like, for example, creating more quality content *cough*.
The problem isn't that viewers are tired of dinof; it's that Dan is. I think rebranding while still on youtube is a good idea because it doesn't matter how good the brand still is if he is the brand and he's lost passion for making content that fits the brand. He clearly wants to be something besides danisnotonfire and my hope would be that a rebranding would bring forth new creative energy and he'd actually go back to making videos. I do agree that it's possible to change your brand without changing an identifier but I think Dan has some very close associations with what dinof is and represents for him that he wants to move away from.
TSA
dank meme

I haven't posted here before because I had no idea what to say, but it's two a.m. and I just had a thought that I needed opinions on after lurking here for the past few days (and lurking on GG for months).

If the radio show is really over for Dan and Phil like you all are speculating, do you think that they might move away from London? We know that they moved to London for the BBC, but I could totally imagine them moving down to Brighton for example, where they have friends.

(Also hi. This forum reminds me of when I was twelve and on forums like this. I'm feeling nostalgic. Don't expect to see me write here often, I have opinions but never know how to put them into words. :roll: )
lilMango
morning quiff

TSA wrote:I haven't posted here before because I had no idea what to say, but it's two a.m. and I just had a thought that I needed opinions on after lurking here for the past few days (and lurking on GG for months).

If the radio show is really over for Dan and Phil like you all are speculating, do you think that they might move away from London? We know that they moved to London for the BBC, but I could totally imagine them moving down to Brighton for example, where they have friends.

(Also hi. This forum reminds me of when I was twelve and on forums like this. I'm feeling nostalgic. Don't expect to see me write here often, I have opinions but never know how to put them into words. :roll: )
Welcome, your opinions are appreciated!

It's an interesting thought, but I feel like moving would be stressful for them right after a tour, and they might want to get their bearings back first before deciding to go anywhere.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
felucca
truth bomb

Kurapika Yeah I agree with most everything they're saying. There's a reason so MANY youtubers have started expressing these negative thoughts - you see them everywhere now. They're not happy. Lots of youtubers I watch (including Dan <-- look I'm on topic) used to do more high-effort content just a year or two ago but now seem to have lowered their overall quality to make more "easy content" because, well, that's what Youtube rewards, innit? (Jacksfilms I think summed up his experience of it pretty clearly in this video.) Honestly so interested to see where every single one of them, even people I don't watch, will be in a few years. Youtube's such a unique "community" to be following, I'm very happy to have started when I did.

thank you oqua this is a dream come true

Edit: I hate you all.
Last edited by felucca on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
fancybum
senpai

TSA wrote: If the radio show is really over for Dan and Phil like you all are speculating, do you think that they might move away from London? We know that they moved to London for the BBC, but I could totally imagine them moving down to Brighton for example, where they have friends.
Ooh I like this. Well, maybe; I'm still hoping they have something else lined up after R1 and I would assume whatever it is would be in London. But now I'm just imagining triple dates with Felix/Marzia & PJ/Sophie and maybe vlogs... and actual twitter updates... and instagram photos from everybody. And a koi pond. The wide-openness of what they could do after the tour is STRESSING ME OUT but I'm also excited. Maybe.
Kurapika wrote: nice aprils fools joke staff lmao thanks for reminding me of that amazing video and the stupid jokes the phandom still makes uuuuuuggghhhh
ahaha I just noticed (it's still Mar 31 here, so I was like... wut). Well played.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
angrymob
hobbit hair

alittledizzy wrote:
angrymob wrote:Am I the only one that thinks rebranding while still on youtube in not a great idea? danisnotonfire is not a bad brand at all. I've actually had mediamarketing professors comment on it before shut up, I wrote a lot about youtube for my media classes, saying that it was clever (because it's unusal/memorable but still conatins his name). Maybe, if he were to leave youtube, a rebranding would be apt, but you can change your brand without having to change your main identifier like, for example, creating more quality content *cough*.
The problem isn't that viewers are tired of dinof; it's that Dan is. I think rebranding while still on youtube is a good idea because it doesn't matter how good the brand still is if he is the brand and he's lost passion for making content that fits the brand. He clearly wants to be something besides danisnotonfire and my hope would be that a rebranding would bring forth new creative energy and he'd actually go back to making videos. I do agree that it's possible to change your brand without changing an identifier but I think Dan has some very close associations with what dinof is and represents for him that he wants to move away from.
Yeah, actually having caught up with the thread and hearing what everyone else has to say so mnay comments, so little time, I now share almost this exact opinion. While abandoning up danisnotonfire, if he's not wanting to live up to the content expected of that name, it be best to get it out of the way now and use his somewhat obsessive fanbase that would follow him to whatever he does to build on a new brand.
Jeweul
sad dimple

Kurapika wrote:
nice aprils fools joke staff lmao thanks for reminding me of that amazing video and the stupid jokes the phandom still makes uuuuuuggghhhh
The craft video? I'm so confused. :wtf:
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

fancybum wrote:
Kurapika wrote: nice aprils fools joke staff lmao thanks for reminding me of that amazing video and the stupid jokes the phandom still makes uuuuuuggghhhh
ahaha I just noticed (it's still Mar 31 here, so I was like... wut). Well played.
I feel like i've missed something? What april fools joke?

I'm with those who don't want dinof to end. He can change his content without changing the name. It's like he said about not announcing your new years resolutions, because then you won't follow through with them. If he changes his name, he will just have a feeeling of changing something, but the content will still be stuck. If he really wants to commit to change, he should make those changes and then change the name to fit the channel later. Just my humble opinion.

Also, i will never unsee chicken!Dan. And thanks for posting the youtube culture song.
fancybum
senpai

wtfamidoinghere wrote:
fancybum wrote:
All the little milestone quote-things (wow so descriptive go me) under our avatars are now 'don't cry, BANT!!1!' instead of crusty sponge/smol bean/etc.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

fancybum wrote:
wtfamidoinghere wrote:
fancybum wrote:
All the little milestone quote-things (wow so descriptive go me) under our avatars are now 'don't cry, BANT!!1!' instead of crusty sponge/smol bean/etc.
I saw that, but never questioned it, because it sounded like something the makers of this forum would say
Didn't realize that everyone had the same rank!
I'll just...
daphenaxa
blobfish

TSA wrote:

they both said they love London because there is a lot to do and don't wanna move. Plus their best friends/phil's bro live in London and whatever they do after the radio show all their new presenting/entertainment/youtube opportunities will still be in London. I don't think they gonna move.
felucca wrote:Kurapika Yeah I agree with most everything they're saying. There's a reason so MANY youtubers have started expressing these negative thoughts - you see them everywhere now. They're not happy. Lots of youtubers I watch (including Dan <-- look I'm on topic) used to do more high-effort content just a year or two ago but now seem to have lowered their overall quality to make more "easy content" because, well, that's what Youtube rewards, innit? (Jacksfilms I think summed up his experience of it pretty clearly in this video.) Honestly so interested to see where every single one of them, even people I don't watch, will be in a few years. Youtube's such a unique "community" to be following, I'm very happy to have started when I did.

thank you oqua this is a dream come true

Edit: I hate you all.
that's such an easy excuse though! in every single medium of entertainment more mainstream/less quality and less effort products do better in terms of numbers than original artistic content. why would youtube be different? But in other industries serious novel writers don't begin writing 50 shades of Grey and Haneke doesn't do Michael Bay films. The creators blaming the medium and the general public because they don't have the artistic and professional integrity to stick to making what they feel is good content is BS.
Also is it really what yt rewards? Maybe in terms of short term numbers. (and not even sure tbh, idk Jack but for Dan his video were more successful when he put more effort into them) but in the long term, the reputation and the quality are where it's at.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
angrymob
hobbit hair

One thing that sort of gets to me about the Youtube Culture song, while very well done, is that it's not exactly original content itself. Every few months since even 2010, I see a youtuber post a video (often in song form shane dawson) about the current unorginal trends and clickbaity behaviour of youtubers. I know that most of the people in this video are probably aware that they do most of the things they mentioned themselves, but I get the feeling that they think this song is sort of a clever haha way to call it out, when it's actually fairly easy pickings. I mean, most of the things they mentioned were things we've been making fun of for months (youtubers all suddenly writing books, coming out, using DP as click bait, goddamn challenge videos) Cmon, youtubers, go deeper!

I should go write a song about youtubers making uncreative content where they make fun of other youtubers who make uncreative content. We have to go deeper!
daphenaxa
blobfish

angrymob wrote:One thing that sort of gets to me about the Youtube Culture song, while very well done, is that it's not exactly original content itself. Every few months since even 2010, I see a youtuber post a video (often in song form shane dawson) about the current unorginal trends and clickbaity behaviour of youtubers. I know that most of the people in this video are probably aware that they do most of the things they mentioned themselves, but I get the feeling that they think this song is sort of a clever haha way to call it out, when it's actually fairly easy pickings. I mean, most of the things they mentioned were things we've been making fun of for months (youtubers all suddenly writing books, coming out, using DP as click bait, goddamn challenge videos) Cmon, youtubers, go deeper!

I should go write a song about youtubers making uncreative content where they make fun of other youtubers who make uncreative content. We have to go deeper!
shadeception
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

daphenaxa wrote:that's such an easy excuse though! in every single medium of entertainment more mainstream/less quality and less effort products do better in terms of numbers than original artistic content. why would youtube be different? But in other industries serious novel writers don't begin writing 50 shades of Grey and Haneke doesn't do Michael Bay films. The creators blaming the medium and the general public because they don't have the artistic and professional integrity to stick to making what they feel is good content is BS.
Also is it really what yt rewards? Maybe in terms of short term numbers. (and not even sure tbh, idk Jack but for Dan his video were more successful when he put more effort into them) but in the long term, the reputation and the quality are where it's at.

I feel like I should add to your thoughts but really you summed up how I feel about it.
angrymob wrote:One thing that sort of gets to me about the Youtube Culture song, while very well done, is that it's not exactly original content itself.
Yeah, but I don't think that's actually trying to be original content. I think that's doing exactly what the song advertises youtubers do; banking on marketability and an established audience to profit.
lilMango
morning quiff

angrymob wrote:One thing that sort of gets to me about the Youtube Culture song, while very well done, is that it's not exactly original content itself. Every few months since even 2010, I see a youtuber post a video (often in song form shane dawson) about the current unorginal trends and clickbaity behaviour of youtubers. I know that most of the people in this video are probably aware that they do most of the things they mentioned themselves, but I get the feeling that they think this song is sort of a clever haha way to call it out, when it's actually fairly easy pickings. I mean, most of the things they mentioned were things we've been making fun of for months (youtubers all suddenly writing books, coming out, using DP as click bait, goddamn challenge videos) Cmon, youtubers, go deeper!

That would be so meta. Do it.

Chorus:
I'm so satirical
and so cleverly lyrical,
I can make rhymes perfectly
while throwing shade at Tyler Oakley!
I'm the only genuine one,
but this song is just for fun,
and by the time the video's done
you'll subscribe to me, and watch my videos a ton!

i'll just see myself out
angrymob
hobbit hair

This is getting a bit off topic for this thread, so...

[offtopic]
alittledizzy wrote:
angrymob wrote:One thing that sort of gets to me about the Youtube Culture song, while very well done, is that it's not exactly original content itself.
Yeah, but I don't think that's actually trying to be original content. I think that's doing exactly what the song advertises youtubers do; banking on marketability and an established audience to profit.
I don't know if that really comes through though. He only marginally does those things in the video (by having a bunch of other youtubers in the video with him to get their fanbases). You'd almost need to break the fourth wall and flat of reference the song and video itself, like instead of having everyone die at the end, have a line that's something like... "And when that all fails, I'll make a song trashing other youtubers." That sort of self-awareness would be going to the next level a bit, but many of the youtubers in that video generally have an air that they are above those they made fun of in this video. It's why I think Shane Dawson's vdieo was a bit more successful because he's flat out making fun of himself while also making fun of youtube.[/offtopic]
lilMango wrote: That would be so meta. Do it.

Chorus:
I'm so satirical
and so cleverly lyrical,

i'll just see myself out
I can't write music for shit, but I'll definitely record you and produce your video. I'll make you a star!
lilMango
morning quiff

angrymob wrote:
lilMango wrote: That would be so meta. Do it.

Chorus:
I'm so satirical
and so cleverly lyrical,

i'll just see myself out
I can't write music for shit, but I'll definitely record you and produce your video. I'll make you a star!
Hahah I could totally write an entire song, with more inspiration on what to write about. It would take me a while, but I'll totally make a video if you guys would watch it.
Aurdie
spork

Apropos of nothing...My youthful beard for the TATINOF show(s) just informed me that she thinks we should try to make the show a "cult-classic" , a la Rocky Horror Picture show, and throw ham at Dan. I'm trying really hard to dissuade her from ruining the much-longed for experience for me....umm....I mean her. (This comment is telling about my age...do most ppl under, say, 30, even know what Rocky Horror Picture Show is? Probably nah? )
Last edited by Aurdie on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have an exit strategy it's not an obsession." - Mark Cuban
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

All the trends can take a hike
Please me all your goddamn likes
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

aosagi wrote:
felucca wrote:
phamnotof wrote:umm go to 3:02 of the youtube culture video & i'm pretty sure someone actually coughs "dan and phil!"
or am i going crazy?
Hahaaa it does sound like it. :?
It doesn't sound like dan and phil to me, more like "i'm dying" (with the "i'm" kind of swallowed?)
I did hear "Dan and Phil," but I was listening for it, so...
angrymob wrote:
swofro wrote:I don't want DINOF to rebrand to Dan Howell :wahh: :wahh: my feelingss :sobs:
Am I the only one that thinks rebranding while still on youtube in not a great idea? danisnotonfire is not a bad brand at all. I've actually had mediamarketing professors comment on it before shut up, I wrote a lot about youtube for my media classes, saying that it was clever (because it's unusal/memorable but still conatins his name). Maybe, if he were to leave youtube, a rebranding would be apt, but you can change your brand without having to change your main identifier like, for example, creating more quality content *cough*.
I agree it's not a bad brand (and neither is "AmazingPhil"). They both got very lucky with their usernames. It's been discussed before, but just imagine if Phil had actually been able to go with BuffyPhil. That would have been interesting.
felucca wrote: thank you oqua this is a dream come true
felucca wrote:
oqua wrote:Btw if and when you finish the collection of family mentions, I will watch the heck out of it.
There are no 'if's in this particular matter, it's my fave creepy clip collection of all times. Image
I've been longing to see those family clips for so long, since I first started lurking months ago and I saw you mention it in a thread from like May. Then I remember you recently linked to a video of Dan talking about his grandpa teaching him how to ride a bike, and it was labeled "Family," and I was like ahhhh they exist, the family clips really exist!!1! rofl. But seriously it's like the thing I want most in the world.
daphenaxa wrote:
phamnotof wrote:<a class="vglnk" href="http://pheelsama ... re-not-out
if anyone wanted to share their thoughts on this bit of dan's live show from late last year, i'd really appreciate, i saw it a few weeks ago for the first time & it's been on my mind ever since, like whoa a lot of information & boy does he need a rebranding after the tour
[offtopic]sorry, no idea how to put tumblr videos on here[/offtopic]
tbh I don't think he needs to completely rebrand himself, but he needs to stop pigeonhole himself. danisnotonfire is not an evil alterego that prevents Dan to express depth, sincerity or any other emotion than relatable irony. He has made it himself by becoming a caricature of danisnotonfire.
It has not always been that way but he has been going more and more one note, further and further in this caricatural presentation of himself. Without completely changing everything and having a like Miley Cyrus explosion, I think he can just ease back to being a bit more himself aka a bit more subtle and just more than deadpan relatable self-deprecation.
It has always been clear the persona on his channel was only a small part of his personality and he has stated it before. It just seems like he forgot it at some point?

This is a great post.

I want to add that I think that Dan finds it comforting to be able to easily distinguish between himself and danisnotonfire. Maybe that's the original reason why danisnotonfire started becoming a caricature.

My favorite "critique of YouTube culture" song will always be "YouTube Whore" by PewDiePie, personally.
busy being happy~
smugpug
crusty sponge

I am INCREDIBLY upset that they didn't post an April Fools video as soon as April 1st started. How long must we wait??

*joking. somewhat.
angrymob
hobbit hair

oqua wrote: My favorite "critique of YouTube culture" song will always be "YouTube Whore" by PewDiePie, personally.
What the fuck did you just make me watch?

I have it stuck in my head now. :?