Dan & Phil Part 2: lol bye gg

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

oqua wrote:
Kurapika wrote:I'm just praying this doesn't turn into a thing they do every year.
I wouldn't mind if it did. Does it bother you because there are better things they could be doing instead, or because you don't like the influence this kind of video has on the phandom (as in it spawns cringey jokes and stuff)?
Are predictable jokes good jokes? In my opinion, no.
And yeah, the phandom joke is cringey and stopped being funny last year on April 3rd. Overdone jokes just aren't funny, and it might just be me being a bitch, but reading "Don't cry, craft" under almost every video I watch on Youtube annoys me so much.

I'm like this not only with D&P, but with most jokes and funny things, it was funny the first time, I appreciate it and I'm very very happy it happened. Doing it again and again is just reminds of little kids, when they do something that makes an adult laugh, so they keep doing it over and over and over.

tl;dr I don't think April's Fools jokes should be something that is repeated every year. Do something different! Predictable is lame.
the candlelight by the crescent moon
angrymob
hobbit hair

awkwardly wrote: same. idk, but it was really disturbing to watch this one. idk. not in a bad sense, but in a 'this is not my kind of humour' sense. And it was not only the touching. it was the whole thing. like instead of fun they poured their anger into it. it was so ominous... (or maybe I just lack sleep and I just watched it once so this is the first impression ) all the innuendos were in the 'yeah, you like that Katie' sense .... (yeah, you like to watch us do this, so we'll do this. in a creepy angry way) I'm not saying it was bad, but just... it reminded me of the tomska horse sketch... idk why
I'll rewatch it when I'm back maybe it was just strange first impression
That's exactly how I felt. Like, it was funny, but also extremely uncomfortable to watch. Had a bit of a clown serial killer vibe to it or when your mom's mad at you but doesn't want to make a scene in public, which I'm sure is what they intended.
majitzu
angel bean

fancybum wrote:
oqua wrote: I will make one negative comment: This is the first time their hand-touching has seemed excessive to me. As in, excessively "fan-servicey"...sorry for bringing that up again, but for once, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. They know what they're doing. They know that when every time they touch hands, thousands of their beloved "crafties" are gonna scream "omg they touched hands kill me now!" The YouTube comments and low-quality gifs are pretty much a given. And yet they do it anyway, again, and again, and in a way that doesn't actually seem natural. Idk
Ehhh I have to disagree here; their hands touched for literally 4-5 seconds. I think we're starting to be hyper-aware of any physical contact between them more than they are at this point (and we criticize them for it when any hesitation is noticeable).

They don't touch, they're being overly cautious. They do touch, they're being overly fan-servicey/fake. And I don't think anything about this video is supposed to seem natural :lol: but the hand-touching as a means to forceful glitter-slapping fit right in imo. Even if they're aware that 4-5 seconds of hand contact is going to end up in slowed down gifs on tumblr... so is literally everything else they do including the briefest of eye contact. They really can't win either way.
This ^^^
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

Again with the hand-related violence Phil. but F-R-I-E-N-D-S-H-I-P!!! :platonic: Agree with the creepy/angry parent vibe though. Weird, but reminded me of Dan in last year's vid, just turned up to 11.

They just want a 4th gold play button so they can hang them all together and it's not uneven. Until the wall falls down, because apparently those things weigh a fuckload...! :D
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Kurapika

I think it might be a bit naive to think they aren't aware that every time they touch on camera, the phandom is gonna be screaming about it in ever social media platform. Here included.
Last edited by Kurapika on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swofro
angel bean

oqua wrote: I will make one negative comment: This is the first time their hand-touching has seemed excessive to me. As in, excessively "fan-servicey"...sorry for bringing that up again, but for once, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. They know what they're doing. They know that when every time they touch hands, thousands of their beloved "crafties" are gonna scream "omg they touched hands kill me now!" The YouTube comments and low-quality gifs are pretty much a given. And yet they do it anyway, again, and again, and in a way that doesn't actually seem natural. Idk

What would really make it good is if they realeased another video later today.

Pro tip: Don't cry, BANT!
For me, i think it is maybe part of the joke? Like they knew phandom are going to gif that, so they went for 'lets make it excessive and super creepy'. :mrgreen:

Thanks for being with me. (Not in a creepy way)
Love is forever
majitzu
angel bean

I forgot... I have see some people posting in gigi early, I woul pm them but I'm leaving to university now
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

swofro wrote:

What would really make it good is if they realeased another video later today.

Pro tip: Don't cry, BANT!
For me, i think it is maybe part of the joke? Like they knew phandom are going to gif that, so they went for 'lets make it excessive and super creepy'. :mrgreen:

Thanks for being with me. (Not in a creepy way)
Yeah, I definitely took it as part of the joke. They even edited pointedly around it with the red screen and tilt effect.
kooshka
living flop

The best option while still being related to the crafting channel would've been a whole years worth of videos suddenly made public and act like they've been there all along, but that's a bit too much for a normal person let alone for two people who can barely keep their own channels alive. :lol:

The uncomfortable mood is what makes it, like I said I love how Phil acts and it's so refreshing compared to who he is in real life.
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

ImageImage
ImageImage
(source)

Oh man, I laughed too hard at this. It can get a little over the top, but I do adore the way the phandom comes right back and makes jokes from the joke content they give us, like getting them the silver play button last year.

And IckleMissMayhem, that's great!

eta: if there's some quick and easy way to make those images smaller that I just haven't found please do let me know, I am very conscious that this post is kind of giant.
Kurapika

internetakeover you could just put it under a spoiler.
angrymob
hobbit hair

kooshka wrote:The best option while still being related to the crafting channel would've been a whole years worth of videos suddenly made public and act like they've been there all along, but that's a bit too much for a normal person let alone for two people who can barely keep their own channels alive. :lol:

The uncomfortable mood is what makes it, like I said I love how Phil acts and it's so refreshing compared to who he is in real life.
Oh, imagine if they made public a year's worth of videos on their own channels and pretended they had always been there. Like the whole only posting once a month thing was just them preparing for the best April fools prank ever. We'd die from content overload.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Loving how violent Phil is; but dreading the upcoming cry/craft/protip in everyone's youtube comment :roll:
ImageImageImageImage
DryCereal
koi pond

http://fandoms-andfood.tumblr.com/post/ ... ke-its-the

Honestly hadn't thought they were doing anything other than trolling the phandom... I like this much more!!! :rage:
akui
blobfish

awkwardly wrote: same. idk, but it was really disturbing to watch this one. idk. not in a bad sense, but in a 'this is not my kind of humour' sense. And it was not only the touching. it was the whole thing. like instead of fun they poured their anger into it. it was so ominous... (or maybe I just lack sleep and I just watched it once so this is the first impression ) all the innuendos were in the 'yeah, you like that Katie' sense .... (yeah, you like to watch us do this, so we'll do this. in a creepy angry way) I'm not saying it was bad, but just... it reminded me of the tomska horse sketch... idk why
I'll rewatch it when I'm back maybe it was just strange first impression
I too feel the anger more than anything. At us and at themselves. I honestly don't mind if they do nothing if they feel like this turned into obligation. Idk I'm a bit sad why would they do that to us.

fancybum wrote:
Ehhh I have to disagree here; their hands touched for literally 4-5 seconds. I think we're starting to be hyper-aware of any physical contact between them more than they are at this point (and we criticize them for it when any hesitation is noticeable).

They don't touch, they're being overly cautious. They do touch, they're being overly fan-servicey/fake. And I don't think anything about this video is supposed to seem natural :lol: but the hand-touching as a means to forceful glitter-slapping fit right in imo. Even if they're aware that 4-5 seconds of hand contact is going to end up in slowed down gifs on tumblr... so is literally everything else they do including the briefest of eye contact. They really can't win either way.
I feel like that was a shade, they thrown us shade for making that 1 second hand touching from undertale last week a big deal.

Or maybe this video is a big shade on us and themselves... just think about it.

2 upload a day = long content drought
intentional hand touching/eye contact = all the fanservice they do and all the over reaction we do
craft = literally the last thing they would every make a real video about
Dan's cry = Dan's over sharing and us over analyzing
Phil's cheerful tone = AP persona
"let's reveal our faces!"... Inverted pentagram = dan and phil truth
friendship! = friendship!

Okay i'm turning into crazy conspiracist. I'm gonna go lie down.
momo
crusty sponge

finally the fall of gg is now upon us, thanks delta for pming me about IDB, really appreciate it

i've been away visiting family so i'm seriously behind yet again..
Last edited by momo on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iero
phabergé

i thought the same as soon as i saw them do it lol
when they kept putting their hands on top of each other and zoomed in etc my thoughts were 'are they doing this on purpose'

of course they're allowed to touch each other so it's likely they didn't even think twice about it, but yeah this is something i picked up too
bluebox-away
woodland creature

angrymob wrote:
kooshka wrote:The best option while still being related to the crafting channel would've been a whole years worth of videos suddenly made public and act like they've been there all along, but that's a bit too much for a normal person let alone for two people who can barely keep their own channels alive. :lol:

Oh, imagine if they made public a year's worth of videos on their own channels and pretended they had always been there. Like the whole only posting once a month thing was just them preparing for the best April fools prank ever. We'd die from content overload.
For any of their channels this would be a brilliant prank but it would take so much effort on their part! We'd get through like 20 threads if they suddenly dropped that many videos though :lol:
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
fancybum
senpai

akui wrote: I feel like that was a shade, they thrown us shade for making that 1 second hand touching from undertale last week a big deal.

Or maybe this video is a big shade on us and themselves... just think about it.

2 upload a day = long content drought
intentional hand touching/eye contact = all the fanservice they do and all the over reaction we do
craft = literally the last thing they would every make a real video about
Dan's cry = Dan's over sharing and us over analyzing
Phil's cheerful tone = AP persona
"let's reveal our faces!"... Inverted pentagram = dan and phil truth

Okay i'm turning into crazy conspiracist. I'm gonna go lie down.
I think you've solved it.

edit: really though I don't think they felt any obligation- they genuinely loved making last year's video and were proud of it; I think they really just wanted to do it again because they enjoyed it. I want Jenna Marbles to comment on it again... but she's most likely still sleeping as it's early in LA..
Last edited by fancybum on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

oqua wrote:
rizzo wrote:That said, I LOVED it. Especially when Dan got sentimental... Another weirdly timed coincidence? ;)
Can you explain this comment? The "sentimental" part and the "coincidence" part? Sorry, I am slow. :(
Oh, I was just referring to how D&P tend to mention something in a video or tweet that we recently discussed. See: Phil's bookshelf tour after we discussed what books they read. Or in this case, we just discussed Dan being sentimental about the D&P brand.

Sometimes it really is coincidence, but in other cases the timing seems shady. 8-)
Last edited by rizzo on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cucu
tol bean

internetakeover wrote:ImageImage
ImageImage
(source)

Oh man, I laughed too hard at this. It can get a little over the top, but I do adore the way the phandom comes right back and makes jokes from the joke content they give us, like getting them the silver play button last year.

And IckleMissMayhem, that's great!

eta: if there's some quick and easy way to make those images smaller that I just haven't found please do let me know, I am very conscious that this post is kind of giant.
This is too funny!

I think Phil's style of humour in these videos is completely hilarious - he's so deadpan, I really don't know how either of them keep a straight face. It's so ridiculously different from his regular persona that I have to laugh at it. Though I agree that the whole "don't cry, craft" joke is completely exhausted - seriously, it stopped being funny about two days after the last craft video. I cringed a little when they said it at the end. :roll:
mez29
procrastinator

I feel like the hand touching was kind of a challenge to fans? … like "here's some clear shots of our hands touching but in the least romantic way possible, let's see what you can do with that". kind of to remind everyone that as far as footage is concerned, they have complete control over what we see in most cases anyway
DryCereal
koi pond

mez29 wrote:I feel like the hand touching was kind of a challenge to fans? … like "here's some clear shots of our hands touching but in the least romantic way possible, let's see what you can do with that". kind of to remind everyone that as far as footage is concerned, they have complete control over what we see in most cases anyway
There'll be super-slow-mo on tumblr somewhere already, with appropriate sappy music... you can bet on it. :lol:

though people were after clear shots of their hands/fingers over in the body parts thread...
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I had really hoped they would let the 'Don't Cry Craft' thing die, but I was among the -1 people in the phandom who didn't think last year's video was the epitome of hilarity anyway so I don't count. Yet when I watched the new video... I actually really liked it? I laughed out loud a bunch of times (the pentagram and the left handed parts had me in stitches. kinda.) and was genuinely entertained. It didn't have the surprise WTF? element the first one had, but it was still a lot more original than the lame account switches on Twitter. I'm not sure why I liked this one so much better than the one from last year, but whatevz. Maybe I'll rewatch Squareflakes later today, see if I change my opinion on it.

But even though I liked it, I'm not sure I can go through another year of annoying comments on every YouTube video I watch even if they're not at all related to the D&P. Ugh. Please don't do it again next year boys.

(honestly I half expected them to announce a second book, leave for the day and let the phandom crash and burn like it did when the bour was announced last year. only this time as a joke. too obvious though i guess?)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
akui
blobfish

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
mez29 wrote:I feel like the hand touching was kind of a challenge to fans? … like "here's some clear shots of our hands touching but in the least romantic way possible, let's see what you can do with that". kind of to remind everyone that as far as footage is concerned, they have complete control over what we see in most cases anyway
There'll be super-slow-mo on tumblr somewhere already, with appropriate sappy music... you can bet on it. :lol:

though people were after clear shots of their hands/fingers over in the body parts thread...
On the contrary i think they are trying to kill phandom's romanticizing everything they do by overdoing it. Because this is so clearly a joke so anyone who even attempt to romanticizing it is automatically making a fool of themself.
Last edited by akui on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.