Dan & Phil Part 72: Always a Gaytime

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

watsonian wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:54 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:40 am
In terms of Dan insisting we're bad people; he really is translating the humor he uses on twitter toward fans into real life. If you're not one of those people making those jokes on twitter I can see how it would be jarring in real life, though. I don't think he intends the theme to be 'leave us alone and expect less' so much as he is doing what he talks about in bed during the week in the life video, exploring the various themes of connection.
I'm curious how you'd describe the humor Dan uses on twitter. Do you notice it being different from humor he uses in livestreams or on YouTube? By those jokes, do you mean jokes about being bad people? And like, why is that a thing or a theme in the phandom?

A lot of the time when Dan addresses the audience on YouTube and twitter I find myself thinking he's projecting, because whatever he says about us doesn't apply to me and I'm just that self-involved. But I also feel like I'm missing a big part of phandom culture and it's likely that a lot of things are references or in-jokes I don't get. I want to understand those interactions better.
Dan's definitely expressed multiple times that he feels like he and his audience have a back and forth that lends toward edgy dark insults. 1:43 of this video is Dan basically saying that:

And he pinned a comment in response to his 2016 Memes video that says:
lmao @ some people in the comments genuinely feeling sorry for me

dw it's just mine and my audience's healthy mutual self depreciating sense of humour where we mock each other to show affection now stop worrying about me and here's to surviving another year in our meaningless universe
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

LtrllySusan
lava lamp

All I wanna say is.... would D/P use a screenshot of PINOF1 with subtitles displayed to showcase the green floor? Does that seem slightly weird? No? ..... Gather over here if you wanna join Team "They got an editor for DAPG". 8-)

I'm honestly suprised that so few people see the change in editing style. It seems so distinct to me.
knq
lava lamp

WOW OKAY I WAS NOT EXPECTING A NEW VIDEO TODAY. Lets just pretend I posted this 10 minutes ago when I meant to.

@alittledizzy I will have to keep Dan typing "we mock each other to show affection" in mind in the future and see if I understand the relationship better. That sounds quite silly, because I did pick that dynamic up, but I still feel like I don't really understand it even as I do understand it, which is weird. :shrug:
yeetussy wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:58 pm What are some content that makes you guys smile every time you see it? I’ve just been watching the Blindfolded Cat Drawing and the Bean-Boozled thing from the same session over and over and I need smth else
As far as gaming goes, I watch them playing Bubble Bobble and the Hardest Crash Bandicoot Level far, far too often. Watching them play the older nostalgic games just makes me happy. There's a Sonic one and Phil's RPG Maker game as well. Those are my go-to YouTube playing in the background videos.

I looked through my liked videos in hopes of linking you something new. Turns out I mostly like compilations and outtakes. Here are a few!
Dan and Phil babbling (why are these grown ass men so fecking cute?)

Singing!

"This guy."

Outtake of charades

(Whether or not this would make you smile totally depends on whether you like some performative catastrophizing.)

In case you don't, here is Dan and Phil making each other laugh :love2:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

yeetussy wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:58 pm Honestly, on days when I’m breaking down, it would be nice to have such an influx of content like we got yesterday and the day prior. But I have a feeling these few days are actually a much needed break for both of them instead of just Dan, they looked kinda exhausted most of the time tbh. If I were either of them rn I’d definitely not even want to touch any social media. I hope this detox helps them both.

What are some content that makes you guys smile every time you see it? I’ve just been watching the Blindfolded Cat Drawing and the Bean-Boozled thing from the same session over and over and I need smth else
I agree, I think they looked quite tired in the pictures from the m&g yesterday. As much as touring must be fun, it must also be super tiring living out of a suitcase and not being able to eat meals at home etc. I also think they had quite an action packed day yesterday, I never really know how they do two shows in one day and the m&gs too! When do they get time to eat or chill!

Also, content that also makes me smile:
> the making of tatinof documentary
> the making of tabinof video
> Christmas Day in the life
> all of the donkey kong videos (seeing Dan get excited when they win at the end always puts a massive smile on my face)
> any of dinofvyou1 videos

and yay a gaming video upload. I wasn’t sure we would get one this week as at the show last night they said they had filmed a gaming video for next week which has about 97 swear words in that they’ve had to bleep. scared of the demonetisation 😂
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

The video was okay - Sims is Sims, and that one was particularly middle of the road. I always get so frustrated watching them in Build Mode, I wish they'd turn off the grid to make it easier on the eyes!

2 interesting things tho - Dan only swore once and it was bleeped out. The other time he almost went to swear he went for a clean version instead (18:18). I'm guessing they're playing by Youtube's rules? Also, they linked to Phil's new video at the end rather than the last DAPG; trying to make up for low views?
liola
rankussy

mathsniel wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:37 pm The video was okay - Sims is Sims, and that one was particularly middle of the road. I always get so frustrated watching them in Build Mode, I wish they'd turn off the grid to make it easier on the eyes!

2 interesting things tho - Dan only swore once and it was bleeped out. The other time he almost went to swear he went for a clean version instead (18:18). I'm guessing they're playing by Youtube's rules? Also, they linked to Phil's new video at the end rather than the last DAPG; trying to make up for low views?
I'm pretty sure its because it's part of Rize sponsoring them which is why Dan refrained from swearing and why it was linked to Phil's video instead of another gaming one.

I actually loved the video, they seem to be enjoying the Sims a lot more now that they're focusing on Dab and I'm here for it. Phil seems particularly flirty and I'm also here for it. The ending made me laugh so much, I had such a bad day it really brightened my mood.

I'm guessing the social detox might be for Phil as well, he hasn't replied to tweets and I was expecting him to post a story about the video. I hope they're resting and enjoying a bit of time off.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I was not expecting a new gaming vid so soon, so that was a nice surprise. And like pretty much always I enjoyed it. Not my fave, but still good.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm not the biggest fan of sims videos, nor was I expecting a gaming video so soon, but this one was so. nice. I love the direction they're taking it in, and it was honestly a really lovely chill thing to start my afternoon with.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

im always here for interior design, i liked this video a lot! brought my mood up a ton!

notable moments that make me go hhmmm:
d: (talking about his family home) "i want to spend as little time there as possible" "i've built my own life here"
*goes with phil to the lesters over Christmas*
anyway, the love each other.

them saying how much they love dabs bedroom
d: "this is almost better than our actual place that we live in real life"
then phil argues they don't have a jukebox or swimming pool
d: "ok, just the bedroom, just the bedroom"
:garbage:
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
human
dan hand trash

Yay Sims! My favourite and I loved this video, I always love to see their renovation episodes.
ratlad wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:04 pm im always here for interior design, i liked this video a lot! brought my mood up a ton!

notable moments that make me go hhmmm:
d: (talking about his family home) "i want to spend as little time there as possible" "i've built my own life here"
*goes with phil to the lesters over Christmas*
anyway, the love each other.

them saying how much they love dabs bedroom
d: "this is almost better than our actual place that we live in real life"
then phil argues they don't have a jukebox or swimming pool
d: "ok, just the bedroom, just the bedroom"
:garbage:
Lol I'm not a huge shipper anymore but these did not go unnoticed by me haha.
autumnhearth
senpai

Decent Sims. Yay for an unpstairs space. They’re using the two bros vine to death, but it’s nice that Phil (sub) consciously leaned in closer right after. I’m kinda glad Tabitha killed the mood because damnit they don’t listen to their own advice to take it slow. Oh Evan was uncomfortable with that dip and kiss? Let’s go for the option to fool around with him in bed :roll: I feel like they might have ruined things if it went forward then.
George
sad dimple

autumnhearth wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:18 pm damnit they don’t listen to their own advice to take it slow
It's hard when you're 18 and your partner is amazing. And home alone. :roll:
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
hello9217
flower crown

I enjoyed that a lot. I don't mind the sims because it's nice to have it in the background. The "you've only got one phil" part was cute. Definitely not my fave but much better than the last sims. I know people have said this before but I love how they handle dab and evan's relationship. It's just very quintessential teenage first date awkwardness.

Considering phil has not replied to anyone or made and insta story today I'm assuming the social media detox is for both of them. Watch him prove me wrong in 5 minutes.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I loved that. Dan gets so into the decorating and he was so energetic, and gorgeous, through the whole video. Kitting out the teens’ rooms with everything is always fun. Silly boys, though, I’m pretty sure they could have had someone pick up the kitten and carry it inside, the game devs didn’t leave out a way to get your kitten inside so it can eat :roll: I love the sudden dip and Tabitha coming in for a bop just as they decide to take it up a level. S-pop and mess around has a good ring to it.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I laughed out loud at 18:16 when Dan said, "'He's feeling very uncomfortable now.' NO SHIRT! You don't just pull someone into your lair and tip them over!"

Seems that move worked just fine on Dan. :wink: :love1:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I loved that Sims video, anything where they decorate is always good in my opinion.

Some things though:
1. I doubt someone like Dan who has watched the worst things on the internet doesn’t know what “mess around” means. Come on dude don’t play us like that we aren’t stupid.

2. At the end Phil is so done with recording the video he can’t wait to get to the end screen, his face is so funny because he looks so done with it and the intake of breath made me realise he wants it over 😂 who can blame him on a day off having to film a gaming video, sorry what was that about pre-filming for whilst you’re away beforehand so you don’t have to be tired (sorry I’m on my phone and can’t seem to find a site to upload this screen recording hence using my twitter) 3. Phil looks so chilled and so handsome during this part but again I wonder if he was just ready to stop recording at this point:
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ooh yeah, Phil does look pretty done there. I was so smitten with Dan in this one, I didn’t notice at all.
simmehchan
butt chair

LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:25 pm All I wanna say is.... would D/P use a screenshot of PINOF1 with subtitles displayed to showcase the green floor? Does that seem slightly weird? No? ..... Gather over here if you wanna join Team "They got an editor for DAPG". 8-)

I'm honestly suprised that so few people see the change in editing style. It seems so distinct to me.
Yeah, it's not got their usual...weird flare I guess. I'll join the team :D

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
knq
lava lamp

LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:25 pm All I wanna say is.... would D/P use a screenshot of PINOF1 with subtitles displayed to showcase the green floor? Does that seem slightly weird? No? ..... Gather over here if you wanna join Team "They got an editor for DAPG". 8-)

I noticed the same thing and took away something totally different! The scene they chose and having the words on the screen (Ninja or pirate?) references the moment in "Giving The People What They Want" where Phil picks a different answer than his 2009 self. They do a whole slow motion thing where they play the 'dun dun duuuun' music and Phil points out he changed his mind.

Phil's last two videos have been about growing up and his changing. He talked about letting go of the old hairstyle and discussed videos he'd privated because they didn't represent him anymore. In the Sims series, dnp reference their childhoods and teenage years in relation to Dab and Evan. I think they chose the screenshot of PINOF1 with that particular caption because it's in keeping with the theme of their growing up and possibly living their truths.

This had a lot of cute moments! One I didn't understand is at 21:20:
d: She's killed the mood. He's going to get a veggie burger.
p: He's gone.
d: That's it. No. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Evan's like 'uh, I've got some emails to check.'
p: Oh my gosh. But I(?) have to try that next time. *raises eyebrows*

Phil... has to try getting a veggie burger next time sex gets awkward? I feel like it's an innuendo because of the eyebrow thing. Or is it another word flub like Dan's (adorable) "We want you to see our face" at 1:01?

@missemma Agree. Phil is so Done at the end. Hopefully this was the last and not the first video they filmed that day, as it sounded like they filmed a few from Dan's comment about wearing tour merch in several videos.
hello9217
flower crown

watsonian wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:32 pm

This had a lot of cute moments! One I didn't understand is at 21:20:
d: She's killed the mood. He's going to get a veggie burger.
p: He's gone.
d: That's it. No. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Evan's like 'uh, I've got some emails to check.'
p: Oh my gosh. But I(?) have to try that next time. *raises eyebrows*

Phil... has to try getting a veggie burger next time sex gets awkward? I feel like it's an innuendo because of the eyebrow thing. Or is it another word flub like Dan's (adorable) "We want you to see our face" at 1:01?
He was saying that because the mood was interrupted they are going to have to try the messing around option again next time their alone *raises eyebrows*
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

they still have green carpet outside their door instead of grass and it makes me scream
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

oh my god, my prayers on here yesterday for a sims vid during dan's internet detox have been answered! i love the sims series but what a lovely video. i'm always here for them and some interior decorating.

phil does look done, but i would be, too. i wish they'd switch off and let phil control every other sims video. i don't know if this bothers anyone else but it's something i always think about. i wonder if it's dan being a hog or if it's just easier for dan to control since the mouse is on the right and so is dan.
autumnhearth wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:18 pm Decent Sims. Yay for an unpstairs space. They’re using the two bros vine to death, but it’s nice that Phil (sub) consciously leaned in closer right after. I’m kinda glad Tabitha killed the mood because damnit they don’t listen to their own advice to take it slow. Oh Evan was uncomfortable with that dip and kiss? Let’s go for the option to fool around with him in bed :roll: I feel like they might have ruined things if it went forward then.
luckily, when it comes to woohooing and messing around in the sims, the other sim can say no. evan said yes to messing around so it would only have furthered their relationship at that point if things had gone forward.

edit: still not at all convinced they have an editor. i thought it was cute that they put the pniof screen shot and i don't think an outside editor would have done that.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Count me in as someone that enjoyed the video. It was cute and an easy watch.

As for the editor- I don't think I would have ever considered them getting an editor if Dan hadn't said something and the only video where I really thought that is was a possibility was Easter baking but I went back and rewatched it (i'd originally only seen it once) and now that some time has passed I really don't think they hired anyone. The Easter video was a little glossier but the same editing tricks were used. I don't really think the Sims videos are as heavily edited as other gaming videos so I didn't notice anything strange.

I could be wrong and they may have hired someone but I'd always imaged that if they had an editor it would be a noticeable difference but that could just be because coming from watching Ryan Higa's latest video to watching a deppy video is night and day. They make different content but Ryan's team is great with editing and when I view them side by side dnp still look very homemade.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

yeah, definitely noticed phil being weirdly "done" towards the end, but i doubt its because hes bored of it or just want it to be over since he urged dan to do the transformation of the day even tho dan was ready to end it right there..............i just found it interesting how phil kept a solid eye contact with the game and barely flinched. usually hed casually address the camera when they do a bit, or even just look at dan or make an expression....but this man looked like he was in a daze? also the amount of times he kept on covering his mouth, biting his lip or tugging his ears/neck collar - usually associated with unrest and feeling tense? whats going on with this man

anyways, i would love for someone to look at phils body language towards the end tbh. im not trying to be an "overanalyzing demon phannie looking for more phan proofs!!!1!!11"; im just genuinely curious as to how someone knowledgeable in stuff like cold reading and etc. would interpret it. i work primarily with kids but i also have to interact with families in different situations (like we recently hve two new "unrelated by blood" babies and one baby's mom and the other baby's dad used to be together but now divorced and they had a son who is in the 3-5 room......yeah talk about awkward) so im somewhat good enough at reading expressions and body languages but im not really formally educated in it. but just as a hobby, i also find it interesting to read up stuff about it because yall, sociology and studying human behaviour and psychology is fascinating anyways i should stop before i start sounding creepy

one things for sure tho: deppy ships dab and evan all the way, this is a fact
"you are next to me in my life"